User Reviews for Disulfiram

Also known as: Antabuse

Learn more about Disulfiram.

Disulfiram Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Disulfiram to treat Alcohol Dependence

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I had allowed to let alcohol take my life from one that most would kill for and now into the hell I knew 6 months ago. I had lost just about everything so that I could drink alone and keep getting that feeling feeling of ease that alcohol brought me. If I had I not been prescribed antibuse and started taking it I am confidant that I would either be dead or in jail right now. I have been taking the medication now for 6 months and have not drank. This miricle medication combined with AA and spiritual fellowship have very quickly turned my life back in the direction that it should have been going for the past 2 years. I have suffered no major side effects other than a lack of cravings."

Cdavis178 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Well, I had tried everything to beat the demon booze. Tried Nalmofene, Campral and Naltroxene medication, went countless AA meetings etc. But Nothing worked. Then I did some research and saw this medication and thankfully my doc prescribed it. Have been on it 6 days and stupidly enough decided to see on the fourth day what would 1 can of lager do? Managed to get through half the can and suddenly the symptoms begun. Flushing, my throat felt like it was swelling, thought my heart wars going to pop out my chest it was pounding so much and then I experienced uncontrollable shaking like Shaking Stevens. Then I burst into tears. Felt Awful! This tablet is a brilliant deterrent."

Euch (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "took antabuse on and off for 3-5 years, finally I got 3 consecutive yrs sober and I quit the pill and been sober over 20yrs. I wonder why I ever drank and have had good life now with lot less worry"

Anonymous October 3, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "have not ingested alcohol while on anabuse"

bluuuuu October 1, 2015

"Best alcohol treatment in the world. I drank daily to pass out mode for 15 years. I started taking this and haven't been drunk in 4 years. But I can't stop taking it because I know I'll try to drink. But who cares. IM NOT DRINKING!!! Sober life is weird and amazing and praise God for disulfiram."

luvits September 25, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I've been on this stuff for about 3 weeks. Typically 250mgs 3 times a week. I took my last dose 7 days ago. Not because I wanted to drink but because the drug spaces me out a bit and I was putting it off. So yesterday I decides to test it and drink. Apparently every alcoholic eventually does. Anyway even with a small dose and a 6 day gap, the liquor didn't make me sick but it was a very uncomfortable experience. Instead of that usual obsession where one drink leads to another to the point of total blackout, I actually poured my last beer down the sink. With 4 years of doing everything under the sun trying to put down the bottle, for me a desperate situationeed called for a desperate measures."

sickofliquor (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Had drink while on antabuse. Felt nauseous, heart beat increased, blood shot eyes, headache. Never drank when taking again."

beerjet111 July 3, 2015

"I had been to AA before and had five years sobriety before going back out for twenty something years. AA really works if you have the capacity to be honest. I was fortunate enough to go back to a 30 day inpatient program. My spirituality is my cornerstone, God and faith are the only things I can depend on for my sobriety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2015

"I'm so disappointed....why oh why does this not work for me? I started drinking 3 weeks after the implant...went for a second implant and started drinking without any reaction to the alcohol? Why do out of millions of succcess stories this does not work for ME!!!!"

wine-lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I want to give my experience with this drug. I had been in and out of AA , NA, and those programs for years. I even went to rehab. Almost died in a serious accident, and still I ended up drinking again, more than before. Nothing worked, my self will, the help of others (who eventually lost all trust in me), my involvement in groups or studying literature on sobriety - nothing worked until I got a prescription for Antabuse. I have been able to stay sober for the longest period I have in years. And some very emotional things have come up since I've been on it that always used to drive me to drink but I was forced to face the problems head on and learn to cope in a different way. Not to say it hasnt been hard. But It's such a relief"

Axic03 March 15, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I have been to AA and did not find it effective. Please know, I respect anyone in the program. I found myself craving MORE after meeting and found so many that attended drinking between meetings. I just didn't get it. I have hidden my alcoholism, ashamed, a noticeable binge once a year or so (driving drunk, falling, bad decisions). I thought if I had a successful career and didn't go to jail I was "good at it". WRONG. I found a doctor I could trust and confided EVERYTHING. He recommended antabuse. I was so scared, I felt like it was going to be a "crutch" and a complete lazy failure. I am so grateful. I feel like it gives me a "beat" in the decision to drink. My "maybe I can drink" has turned into NO WAY!"

Trying..HARD February 8, 2015

"This medicine has changed my life, Overnight. All the fears I had for the future have now been allayed. For once the morning me has the power over the evening cravings (which used to get the last word!)"

Tgrn December 23, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I have been to rehab twice in three years. I went to an addictionist and was prescribed Antabuse. I didn't get it filled due to the cost & fear of side effects. I made a deal with myself that if I messed up and drank, my "punishment" would be getting it filled. I messed up once, and said ok, that was a mulligan. If I mess up again... Which I did. So I got it filled. More than two weeks later, I am still sober! I am taking half pills every 3-4 days, keeping it in my system without it costing so much. Zero side effects, except for being SOBER! Someone drank in front of me on Thanksgiving. Normally I would be rabid to have some as well. With Antabuse, I couldn't be bothered to care or crave it."

Pink Archer November 30, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Have tried to give up many times in the past but just haven't been able to do it. Really didn't like AA and sheer willpower just doesn't work. Plus, I just love to drink! I've tried cutting back or just drinking on weekends but I always end up going back to an everyday habit. I started Antabuse and have found it the most effective way to stop. The fear of having a drink far outweighs the desire to drink. I still have cravings and have gone for a few days without taking it, thinking I'll have a drink in a week but then I always have a moment of strength and end up popping that pill! This buys me at least another week. I started on Campral 2 weeks ago to try to curb the cravings. It doesn't appear to be working but I'll persevere. 45 days!"

Goob1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I'm 66. I stopped drinking when I was in my early-mid 30s, helped by a psychotherapist. Went back to drinking 4-5 years later. Stopped again, went back. Etc. Went through another course of one-on-one therapy with no real results. Entered rehab (outpatient). Stopped again for a while. (Hated rehab.) Started drinking again after a few years. Entered group therapy with an emphasis on AA. Didn't work. (Hated AA.) Two months ago, I went on Antabuse, and the results have been GREAT. I take one dose in the mornings. Over time the urges have diminished; now they only pop up ever so often. I feel like I have a new life. Yay, Antabuse!"

BobY1 September 20, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram): "This has been a miracle. After over 30 years of drinking, I will have my longest sober period that I can remember, thanks to this medication. I have 37 days now, and can't possibly drink for at least another 2 weeks, to be safe from possible side effects, so I definitely will beat my 6 week record. No side effects that I have noticed, and learning what to do with myself sober, gradually. The medication is expensive, though ($237.00 a month) so if I didn't have insurance I probably would have trouble paying for it, but then again, I haven't spent money on alcohol, so for me, it more than pays for itself!"

scintillady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I was referred to a psychiatrist after having mood swings that caused me too have suicidal thoughts. Having a drinking problem for several years did not help it. I would have one maybe two bottles of wine every day of the week and not even have an hangover in the morning. I have tried acupuncture to help me stop drinking that did not work. Taking Antabuse was my last resort because I knew deep down if I went to the AA for help I would try to cut back but would soon slip back to my bad habits. I have been taking Antabuse for two weeks and have found that I don't even want a drink, my life seems much brighter now and full of hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter every day."

Shell45 May 19, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I was drunk or hungover for over 30 years, and had every bad experience, including putting my pistol in my mouth a couple times. The intense physical craving, cramps, shaking, anxiety left me in the freshness of the brave new world. After 30 years of feeling completely sick, it's hard to say if this medicine has any side effects at all. It's been a life saver for me."

fyodor (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Best thing I've ever done, tried every other possible way to stop & this is the only thing that has broken my nine year daily drinking habit, I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone out there that just can't stop. I take it at night as it makes me drowsy but suits me as it now serves as a sleeping pill as well, a bit dizzy & nauseous in morning but early days. I take 1/2 tablet - 50mg every second night"

Reformed04 November 15, 2013

"33 years of drinking and one stint in rehab later and I still was keenly aware that I was an unrecovered alcoholic. Finally decided to ask my doctor for an Antabuse prescription (coupled with active engagement in AA). Taking it in no way diminishes the craving for alcohol. But it will stop you from drinking if you take it. My doctor says I can take it for the rest of my life if I want and since I am serious about my alcoholism, I see no reason not to. No side effects at all! Even when I have wanted to use (and could), I don't because of what I know would happen. Anyone serious about stopping alcohol consumption is crazy not to use Antabuse. I have seen too many people relapse and that will not happen using this product. Love it!"

Lawlord (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Knowing how sick I'll get makes it possible to not drink. But the drowsiness side effect is unpleasant. All in all, if you really want to quit drinking, this may help you. It broke a 30 year habit for me, although I've had to repeat a few times. Quit telling yourself it's about willpower, get some help that WORKS!"

JJ51669 July 12, 2013

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"2 years ago I realised that if I wasn't careful I was going to end up losing everything as a result of my very heavy drinking. I've taken disulfiram regularly since then. I have occasionally stopped taking it for a few weeks at a time (and drank as a result) but I'm sober 99% of the time now. I once had a reaction when I misjudged the amount of time I need to be off it before drinking and believe me......you don't want to experience that. Ever. I thought my heart was going to explode and I was covered in terrible blotches and felt very sick for several hours. I was told that it's generally a very safe medication provided that you DO NOT DRINKING WHILE ON IT."

Aspirin500mg May 29, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram): "I suffer from depression and anxiety, and want to drink to get relief. I didn't find the help I needed in AA, and truthfully, always knew that drinking was an option, so I would drive myself crazy...to drink, to resist drinking, and on and on. So, I have been getting help through a psychiatrist, a therapist, and a depression educational support group, and am learning new ways to cope for my depression and anxiety. Taking Antabuse helps me resist the urge to take the alcohol way out of my discomfort, and use my new tools. I have been taking Antabuse for 10 days now. I take it at night and it helps me sleep better. I have no other side effects, and I've eaten Vineagrette dressing and Catsup with no problems."

Dual Diagnosis (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram): "This medicine is a God send. I've been in recovery for 4 years, pretty much done it all: AA meetings daily, 33 day detox/rehab, IOP, 1:1 therapy at an addiction center, prescriptions for naltrexone and Campral. Two years into treatment, I still wanted to drink. My husband was desperate and suggested Antabuse. I researched it on the internet and was willing to try anything. My primary doc knew I was crazy so he prescribed it. I took it for 3 months, drank once on it...thought I'd die and that was the end of that. After 3 months, I wasn't obsessing about drinking any longer so I stopped taking it daily. I carry it with me at all times. Take 1 here and there so I never know if its in my system. No side effects. This is not a magic bullet. You MUST have an honest desire to stop drinking."

Allison H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2012

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram): "Most of you on this site have had one or more miserable mornings where you have told yourself and others that you have quit drinking for good. I had a countless number of those before I saw my Doctor and was prescribed Antabuse. My intentions were always sincere but this medicine required that I saw my intentions through. I had loads of motivation, 2 pills a day, and was sober for a month. Thanks to that same motivation, the fact that I was feeling much better, and many many other reasons, I have been sober for another 3 months without Antabuse. Advice; go to the store and buy all of your alcohol free hygiene products beforehand. You will still have the physical symptoms so read up on those. If you can't talk to your doctor, find another one."

NavinJohnson (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate