User Reviews for Disulfiram

Also known as: Antabuse

Learn more about Disulfiram.

Alcohol Dependence 36 reviews 7 medications

8.5
Summary of Disulfiram reviews 36 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Disulfiram

For Alcohol Dependence: "I had been to AA before and had five years sobriety before going back out for twenty something years. AA really works if you have the capacity to be honest. I was fortunate enough to go back to a 30 day inpatient program. My spirituality is my cornerstone, God and faith are the only things I can depend on for my sobriety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'm so disappointed....why oh why does this not work for me? I started drinking 3 weeks after the implant...went for a second implant and started drinking without any reaction to the alcohol? Why do out of millions of succcess stories this does not work for ME!!!!"

wine-lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I want to give my experience with this drug. I had been in and out of AA , NA, and those programs for years. I even went to rehab. Almost died in a serious accident, and still I ended up drinking again, more than before. Nothing worked, my self will, the help of others (who eventually lost all trust in me), my involvement in groups or studying literature on sobriety - nothing worked until I got a prescription for Antabuse. I have been able to stay sober for the longest period I have in years. And some very emotional things have come up since I've been on it that always used to drive me to drink but I was forced to face the problems head on and learn to cope in a different way. Not to say it hasnt been hard. But It's such a relief"

Axic03 March 15, 2015

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been to AA and did not find it effective. Please know, I respect anyone in the program. I found myself craving MORE after meeting and found so many that attended drinking between meetings. I just didn't get it. I have hidden my alcoholism, ashamed, a noticeable binge once a year or so (driving drunk, falling, bad decisions). I thought if I had a successful career and didn't go to jail I was "good at it". WRONG. I found a doctor I could trust and confided EVERYTHING. He recommended antabuse. I was so scared, I felt like it was going to be a "crutch" and a complete lazy failure. I am so grateful. I feel like it gives me a "beat" in the decision to drink. My "maybe I can drink" has turned into NO WAY!"

Trying..HARD February 8, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "This medicine has changed my life, Overnight. All the fears I had for the future have now been allayed. For once the morning me has the power over the evening cravings (which used to get the last word!)"

Tgrn December 23, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been to rehab twice in three years. I went to an addictionist and was prescribed Antabuse. I didn't get it filled due to the cost & fear of side effects. I made a deal with myself that if I messed up and drank, my "punishment" would be getting it filled. I messed up once, and said ok, that was a mulligan. If I mess up again... Which I did. So I got it filled. More than two weeks later, I am still sober! I am taking half pills every 3-4 days, keeping it in my system without it costing so much. Zero side effects, except for being SOBER! Someone drank in front of me on Thanksgiving. Normally I would be rabid to have some as well. With Antabuse, I couldn't be bothered to care or crave it."

Pink Archer November 30, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Have tried to give up many times in the past but just haven't been able to do it. Really didn't like AA and sheer willpower just doesn't work. Plus, I just love to drink! I've tried cutting back or just drinking on weekends but I always end up going back to an everyday habit. I started Antabuse and have found it the most effective way to stop. The fear of having a drink far outweighs the desire to drink. I still have cravings and have gone for a few days without taking it, thinking I'll have a drink in a week but then I always have a moment of strength and end up popping that pill! This buys me at least another week. I started on Campral 2 weeks ago to try to curb the cravings. It doesn't appear to be working but I'll persevere. 45 days!"

Goob1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I'm 66. I stopped drinking when I was in my early-mid 30s, helped by a psychotherapist. Went back to drinking 4-5 years later. Stopped again, went back. Etc. Went through another course of one-on-one therapy with no real results. Entered rehab (outpatient). Stopped again for a while. (Hated rehab.) Started drinking again after a few years. Entered group therapy with an emphasis on AA. Didn't work. (Hated AA.) Two months ago, I went on Antabuse, and the results have been GREAT. I take one dose in the mornings. Over time the urges have diminished; now they only pop up ever so often. I feel like I have a new life. Yay, Antabuse!"

BobY1 September 20, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "This has been a miracle. After over 30 years of drinking, I will have my longest sober period that I can remember, thanks to this medication. I have 37 days now, and can't possibly drink for at least another 2 weeks, to be safe from possible side effects, so I definitely will beat my 6 week record. No side effects that I have noticed, and learning what to do with myself sober, gradually. The medication is expensive, though ($237.00 a month) so if I didn't have insurance I probably would have trouble paying for it, but then again, I haven't spent money on alcohol, so for me, it more than pays for itself!"

scintillady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2014

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I was referred to a psychiatrist after having mood swings that caused me too have suicidal thoughts. Having a drinking problem for several years did not help it. I would have one maybe two bottles of wine every day of the week and not even have an hangover in the morning. I have tried acupuncture to help me stop drinking that did not work. Taking Antabuse was my last resort because I knew deep down if I went to the AA for help I would try to cut back but would soon slip back to my bad habits. I have been taking Antabuse for two weeks and have found that I don't even want a drink, my life seems much brighter now and full of hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter every day."

Shell45 May 19, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I was drunk or hungover for over 30 years, and had every bad experience, including putting my pistol in my mouth a couple times. The intense physical craving, cramps, shaking, anxiety left me in the freshness of the brave new world. After 30 years of feeling completely sick, it's hard to say if this medicine has any side effects at all. It's been a life saver for me."

fyodor (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Best thing I've ever done, tried every other possible way to stop & this is the only thing that has broken my nine year daily drinking habit, I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone out there that just can't stop. I take it at night as it makes me drowsy but suits me as it now serves as a sleeping pill as well, a bit dizzy & nauseous in morning but early days. I take 1/2 tablet - 50mg every second night"

Reformed04 November 15, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence: "33 years of drinking and one stint in rehab later and I still was keenly aware that I was an unrecovered alcoholic. Finally decided to ask my doctor for an Antabuse prescription (coupled with active engagement in AA). Taking it in no way diminishes the craving for alcohol. But it will stop you from drinking if you take it. My doctor says I can take it for the rest of my life if I want and since I am serious about my alcoholism, I see no reason not to. No side effects at all! Even when I have wanted to use (and could), I don't because of what I know would happen. Anyone serious about stopping alcohol consumption is crazy not to use Antabuse. I have seen too many people relapse and that will not happen using this product. Love it!"

Lawlord (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Knowing how sick I'll get makes it possible to not drink. But the drowsiness side effect is unpleasant. All in all, if you really want to quit drinking, this may help you. It broke a 30 year habit for me, although I've had to repeat a few times. Quit telling yourself it's about willpower, get some help that WORKS!"

JJ51669 July 12, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "2 years ago I realised that if I wasn't careful I was going to end up losing everything as a result of my very heavy drinking. I've taken disulfiram regularly since then. I have occasionally stopped taking it for a few weeks at a time (and drank as a result) but I'm sober 99% of the time now. I once had a reaction when I misjudged the amount of time I need to be off it before drinking and believe me......you don't want to experience that. Ever. I thought my heart was going to explode and I was covered in terrible blotches and felt very sick for several hours. I was told that it's generally a very safe medication provided that you DO NOT DRINKING WHILE ON IT."

Aspirin500mg May 29, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I suffer from depression and anxiety, and want to drink to get relief. I didn't find the help I needed in AA, and truthfully, always knew that drinking was an option, so I would drive myself crazy...to drink, to resist drinking, and on and on. So, I have been getting help through a psychiatrist, a therapist, and a depression educational support group, and am learning new ways to cope for my depression and anxiety. Taking Antabuse helps me resist the urge to take the alcohol way out of my discomfort, and use my new tools. I have been taking Antabuse for 10 days now. I take it at night and it helps me sleep better. I have no other side effects, and I've eaten Vineagrette dressing and Catsup with no problems."

Dual Diagnosis (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2013

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "This medicine is a God send. I've been in recovery for 4 years, pretty much done it all: AA meetings daily, 33 day detox/rehab, IOP, 1:1 therapy at an addiction center, prescriptions for naltrexone and Campral. Two years into treatment, I still wanted to drink. My husband was desperate and suggested Antabuse. I researched it on the internet and was willing to try anything. My primary doc knew I was crazy so he prescribed it. I took it for 3 months, drank once on it...thought I'd die and that was the end of that. After 3 months, I wasn't obsessing about drinking any longer so I stopped taking it daily. I carry it with me at all times. Take 1 here and there so I never know if its in my system. No side effects. This is not a magic bullet. You MUST have an honest desire to stop drinking."

Allison H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2012

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Most of you on this site have had one or more miserable mornings where you have told yourself and others that you have quit drinking for good. I had a countless number of those before I saw my Doctor and was prescribed Antabuse. My intentions were always sincere but this medicine required that I saw my intentions through. I had loads of motivation, 2 pills a day, and was sober for a month. Thanks to that same motivation, the fact that I was feeling much better, and many many other reasons, I have been sober for another 3 months without Antabuse. Advice; go to the store and buy all of your alcohol free hygiene products beforehand. You will still have the physical symptoms so read up on those. If you can't talk to your doctor, find another one."

NavinJohnson (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "So, I've been battling alcoholism for years - about a decade (and I'm 30). I've been to 2 treatment centers and an outpatient program with the longest stint of sobriety being a solid 109 days. I've gone from being 100% alcohol dependent in my mid 20's to sober to recreational drinking, but almost always I'll end up on benders or sneaking it. Anyway, I tried Antabuse about 6 months ago and took it for about a month...drank on it repeatedly and got so sick each and every time so I just stopped taking the pills. I'm talking beet red face and neck and chest, heart racing, etc. I'm back on it now. I started yesterday and vowed to take it for 6 months."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Used if for four weeks two years ago but was then scaremongered about its side effects by a hospital counsellor. Still couldn't control my drinking and has been getting to a seriously dangerous state so I started back on them last Saturday. Today is Day 6 and I have been to the pub for lunch and coffee and have not felt the need to drink although have felt cravings. Have had trouble sleeping and a few headaches but nothing too untoward. Hope to stay sober for a lot longer!"

chimpy February 23, 2012

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Helped me break a long-cycle of binge drinking but after 3 weeks I found the side-effects too much to deal with- constant drowsiness, fatigue, muscle pain, nausea and stomach cramps. Good luck to everyone who can make it work for them!"

Anonymous December 15, 2011

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been a chronic combination binge/maintenance drinker since I was about 20. I have quit drinking many times for a few weeks, and even six months on two occasions. But nothing, including AA and Campral, worked to keep me away from alcohol. After five years of asking my wary doctor to prescribe Antabuse, he finally did. I have been taking it for two weeks, every morning when my head is clear and logical thinking is in top working order. That is the key for me, because later in the day is when I would normally start to entertain the idea of drinking, as a "reward". I have had no side effects, and am going to continue taking Antabuse. It simply removes the option to drink, at least for people who are not self destructive."

Lush King November 20, 2011

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "If anything the antabuse works TOO well for me! It makes me super sensitive to any alcohol....whether it's in the hand sanitizers, nail polish removers, colognes (even on other people around me) and even some sugar free food products.... (sugar alcohols). Gives me headaches and severe thirst as well."

Anonymous October 13, 2011

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "Sober for 13 months now. This miracle completely removes alcohol from your life. After a couple of months the cravings begin to abate. It's not an option, so sooner or later you just stop thinking about it. "

Anonymous August 18, 2011

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: "I have been a functioning Alcoholic for close to 20 years, I have been to hell and back more than once. I have tried so many different ways to stop but the prospect of losing my wife and 3 kids again and forever meant I had to do something. After presenting at hospital I was then in an open ward for my depression as alcoholism tend to go hand in hand with depression. One of the tablets given was Antabuse this not only gives me a mental hand with drinking due to the reaction but it gives my wife a safety net I will not stop taking it. I have been sober just over 7 weeks soon I will beat the 8 weeks I have only ever been sober for in the last 18 years."

Shaneca March 11, 2011

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate