Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Disulfiram

Also known as: Antabuse

Learn more about Disulfiram.

Alcohol Dependence 26 reviews 7 medications

8.9
Summary of Disulfiram reviews 26 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Disulfiram

Review by fyodor (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I was drunk or hungover for over 30 years, and had every bad experience, including putting my pistol in my mouth a couple times. The intense physical craving, cramps, shaking, anxiety left me in the freshness of the brave new world. After 30 years of feeling completely sick, it's hard to say if this medicine has any side effects at all. It's been a life saver for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 8:49 PM
Review by Reformed04: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Best thing I've ever done, tried every other possible way to stop & this is the only thing that has broken my nine year daily drinking habit, I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone out there that just can't stop. I take it at night as it makes me drowsy but suits me as it now serves as a sleeping pill as well, a bit dizzy & nauseous in morning but early days. I take 1/2 tablet - 50mg every second night

November 15, 2013 10:25 PM
Review by Lawlord (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

disulfiram for Alcohol Dependence: 33 years of drinking and one stint in rehab later and I still was keenly aware that I was an unrecovered alcoholic. Finally decided to ask my doctor for an Antabuse prescription (coupled with active engagement in AA). Taking it in no way diminishes the craving for alcohol. But it will stop you from drinking if you take it. My doctor says I can take it for the rest of my life if I want and since I am serious about my alcoholism, I see no reason not to. No side effects at all! Even when I have wanted to use (and could), I don't because of what I know would happen. Anyone serious about stopping alcohol consumption is crazy not to use Antabuse. I have seen too many people relapse and that will not happen using this product. Love it!

August 19, 2013 12:46 AM
Review by JJ51669: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Knowing how sick I'll get makes it possible to not drink. But the drowsiness side effect is unpleasant. All in all, if you really want to quit drinking, this may help you. It broke a 30 year habit for me, although I've had to repeat a few times. Quit telling yourself it's about willpower, get some help that WORKS!

July 12, 2013 4:02 PM
Review by Aspirin500mg: User Rating:

disulfiram for Alcohol Dependence: 2 years ago I realised that if I wasn't careful I was going to end up losing everything as a result of my very heavy drinking. I've taken disulfiram regularly since then. I have occasionally stopped taking it for a few weeks at a time (and drank as a result) but I'm sober 99% of the time now. I once had a reaction when I misjudged the amount of time I need to be off it before drinking and believe me......you don't want to experience that. Ever. I thought my heart was going to explode and I was covered in terrible blotches and felt very sick for several hours. I was told that it's generally a very safe medication provided that you DO NOT DRINKING WHILE ON IT.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 29, 2013 6:24 AM
Review by Dual Diagnosis (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I suffer from depression and anxiety, and want to drink to get relief. I didn't find the help I needed in AA, and truthfully, always knew that drinking was an option, so I would drive myself crazy...to drink, to resist drinking, and on and on. So, I have been getting help through a psychiatrist, a therapist, and a depression educational support group, and am learning new ways to cope for my depression and anxiety. Taking Antabuse helps me resist the urge to take the alcohol way out of my discomfort, and use my new tools. I have been taking Antabuse for 10 days now. I take it at night and it helps me sleep better. I have no other side effects, and I've eaten Vineagrette dressing and Catsup with no problems.

April 25, 2013 4:59 PM
Review by Allison H. (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: This medicine is a God send. I've been in recovery for 4 years, pretty much done it all: AA meetings daily, 33 day detox/rehab, IOP, 1:1 therapy at an addiction center, prescriptions for naltrexone and Campral. Two years into treatment, I still wanted to drink. My husband was desperate and suggested Antabuse. I researched it on the internet and was willing to try anything. My primary doc knew I was crazy so he prescribed it. I took it for 3 months, drank once on it...thought I'd die and that was the end of that. After 3 months, I wasn't obsessing about drinking any longer so I stopped taking it daily. I carry it with me at all times. Take 1 here and there so I never know if its in my system. No side effects. This is not a magic bullet. You MUST have an honest desire to stop drinking.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 2, 2012 9:23 AM
Review by NavinJohnson (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Most of you on this site have had one or more miserable mornings where you have told yourself and others that you have quit drinking for good. I had a countless number of those before I saw my Doctor and was prescribed Antabuse. My intentions were always sincere but this medicine required that I saw my intentions through. I had loads of motivation, 2 pills a day, and was sober for a month. Thanks to that same motivation, the fact that I was feeling much better, and many many other reasons, I have been sober for another 3 months without Antabuse. Advice; go to the store and buy all of your alcohol free hygiene products beforehand. You will still have the physical symptoms so read up on those. If you can't talk to your doctor, find another one.

June 21, 2012 10:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: So, I've been battling alcoholism for years - about a decade (and I'm 30). I've been to 2 treatment centers and an outpatient program with the longest stint of sobriety being a solid 109 days. I've gone from being 100% alcohol dependent in my mid 20's to sober to recreational drinking, but almost always I'll end up on benders or sneaking it. Anyway, I tried Antabuse about 6 months ago and took it for about a month...drank on it repeatedly and got so sick each and every time so I just stopped taking the pills. I'm talking beet red face and neck and chest, heart racing, etc. I'm back on it now. I started yesterday and vowed to take it for 6 months.

March 9, 2012 11:41 AM
Review by chimpy: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Used if for four weeks two years ago but was then scaremongered about its side effects by a hospital counsellor. Still couldn't control my drinking and has been getting to a seriously dangerous state so I started back on them last Saturday. Today is Day 6 and I have been to the pub for lunch and coffee and have not felt the need to drink although have felt cravings. Have had trouble sleeping and a few headaches but nothing too untoward. Hope to stay sober for a lot longer!

February 23, 2012 12:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Helped me break a long-cycle of binge drinking but after 3 weeks I found the side-effects too much to deal with- constant drowsiness, fatigue, muscle pain, nausea and stomach cramps. Good luck to everyone who can make it work for them!

December 15, 2011 1:32 PM
Review by Lush King: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I have been a chronic combination binge/maintenance drinker since I was about 20. I have quit drinking many times for a few weeks, and even six months on two occasions. But nothing, including AA and Campral, worked to keep me away from alcohol. After five years of asking my wary doctor to prescribe Antabuse, he finally did. I have been taking it for two weeks, every morning when my head is clear and logical thinking is in top working order. That is the key for me, because later in the day is when I would normally start to entertain the idea of drinking, as a "reward". I have had no side effects, and am going to continue taking Antabuse. It simply removes the option to drink, at least for people who are not self destructive.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2011 8:27 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: If anything the antabuse works TOO well for me! It makes me super sensitive to any alcohol....whether it's in the hand sanitizers, nail polish removers, colognes (even on other people around me) and even some sugar free food products.... (sugar alcohols). Gives me headaches and severe thirst as well.

October 13, 2011 5:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Sober for 13 months now. This miracle completely removes alcohol from your life. After a couple of months the cravings begin to abate. It's not an option, so sooner or later you just stop thinking about it.

August 18, 2011 2:02 PM
Review by Shaneca: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I have been a functioning Alcoholic for close to 20 years, I have been to hell and back more than once. I have tried so many different ways to stop but the prospect of losing my wife and 3 kids again and forever meant I had to do something. After presenting at hospital I was then in an open ward for my depression as alcoholism tend to go hand in hand with depression. One of the tablets given was Antabuse this not only gives me a mental hand with drinking due to the reaction but it gives my wife a safety net I will not stop taking it. I have been sober just over 7 weeks soon I will beat the 8 weeks I have only ever been sober for in the last 18 years.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 11, 2011 7:44 PM
Review by dove-33: User Rating:

disulfiram for Alcohol Dependence: I've had an alcohol problem for years. I'm now 33 and have taken Antabuse for about four-five years and it's saved my life. I've had the odd slip up, but am getting stronger as time goes by. This medicine gives me the time to think as I know I can't drink straight away. Alcohol was completely wrecking my family and my life, its so destructive. With Antabuse it's given me back my life and control.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2011 10:25 AM
Review by honestopinion: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram): I have tried this medication without success. When my cravings became too difficult I would stop taking the medication and plan my drinking for 4 to 5 days later which sometimes wasn't enough time to get the medicines out of my system and became very ill. My recommendation is if you are going to use this medication and you don't trust yourself have someone else administer the pills to you and keep you accountable. Congratulations to those who have found success on this. I'm trying Campral next.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2010 1:21 PM
Review by Becca33: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: My boyfriend has been on Antabuse for a few months now, and for the most part just the thought of drinking scared him. He takes this pill daily at the same time and now after witnessing one of the sickest people I've ever seen due to one drink while taking this medicine, I'm scared for him. He literally was bright red, his body was on fire and the sickness he felt was something he had never felt before and never wishes that he had drank. He was in massive pain. This drug works wonders, but under no circumstances, no matter how much stress you have in your life, DON'T DRINK while on this medicine. You have absolute helplessness over the situation. There isn't an antidote.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 11, 2010 1:25 AM
Review by jonwhite: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: Long story short...At the end I was drinking over a liter of vodka per day for over 2 and 1/2 years. I went to a traditional rehab/detox facility in which I went in to one of the worst cases of DT's the doctors/nurses/counselors they had ever seen. I was in a coma for three days. The program was 7 days...I was drinking again by day 9. I realized my life, marriage, and family were falling apart. I found a psychiatrist who utilizes Antabuse/Valium therapy. I told him about my strong concerns based upon the seizures and coma coming off of alcohol my previous attempt and was literally scared to die in my sleep. He reassured me over and over that it would work...he was right and I have not had a drink for almost a month.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 18, 2009 3:00 PM
Review by susan s: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I had been drinking solid for 2 years. From the moment I woke up until I passed out. I went into detox for 7 days and even when the doctor told me that for a 30 yr old girl, my liver was very inflamed I still came out from detox and drank again. After 2 weeks of this I finally decided enough was enough and I started attending an alcohol problems clinic and started Antabuse. I have been sober now for 6 weeks today. Hooray! I never thought I'd see the day when I'd make it 6 minutess never mind six weeks without a drink. I know I have a long journey ahead of me but I'm getting stronger. Trust me it's the only way to stay away from drink and the cravings do go away. Now it's time for me to live my life sober.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2009 1:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I have been on it for three days and although I have urges the possible effects of taking a drink far outweigh the urges. This is a drug I would recommend for any alcoholic trying to get help. This pill and regular AA meetings are the combination that is helping me. I have been sober for 8 days now. Was in hospital for the first 5 days to detox.

June 15, 2009 3:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I took Antabuse for 4 months and it was wonderful. Since it does remove the option to drink, it was a huge help. However, I did occasionally crave alcohol so what did I do? I stopped taking it for 2 weeks so that I could drink. It was a huge mistake and I urge anyone taking it to just, as my therapist says, "get that pill in you everyday". Relapsing in not fun and there is the double-whammy of having to stay sober for a while before one can take it again. Anyone who struggles with alcoholism knows that is no easy task.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 4, 2009 3:00 PM
Review by Kimme: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: I have been using antabuse for a month. I have had some side effects as in some nausea and headaches. I still feel that the benefit of the prescription far outweighs any side effects, nowing this has really given my family a sense of security.

August 7, 2008 2:24 PM
Review by Bubspeed: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: This is a wonderful drug and has helped me control the binges associated with alcohol. I was a moderate-to-heavy drinker before this medication. Now I have been completely sober for two weeks without any side effects. I wanted to stop drinking but had problems in the evenings. Since I have removed the "option" to drink by taking this medication in the mornings when my willpower is strong, it has helped tremendously.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 9, 2008 11:21 AM
Review by theplasterer: User Rating:

Antabuse (disulfiram) for Alcohol Dependence: After 6 months of counselling this was offered to me, I have never wanted to stop drinking, just stop the binges. this drug has worked brilliantly

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 3, 2008 1:35 PM