User Reviews for Antabuse

Learn more about Antabuse.

Alcohol Dependence 39 reviews 7 medications

8.9
Summary of Antabuse reviews 39 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Antabuse

For Alcohol Dependence "Since I have started on this medication, I have felt very few cravings to drink. It is great as a deterrent, so I have not even bothered to test any reaction to drinking. The thought crossed my mind just to try, but the thought of being horribly Ill just to see if I would be didn't seem like the brightest idea! Anyway, my main reason for posting this is to say that unlike many of these posts, I have suffered some side effects. I've struggled a little with sexual performance and have had some rash and acne issues. I will visit the doctor to see what can be done about these because I don't want to stop this medication. It works great. I am forty two and have been abusing alcohol for at least twenty years or so. Almost seven weeks clean!"

DogmanBLount March 28, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been sober for just over a month. I had been sober for a month before (in some cases many months) but this time feels different. In my most recent bout with alcohol, the quantity I consumed and the frequency of my drinking episodes increased tremendously. My cognitive function and physical/mental state had taken a downward spiral. I wasn't able to keep a job or facilitate healthy relationships with those around me. I spoke to my doctor about Antabuse and after some reluctance was able to obtain a prescription. I have been faithful about taking the pill every day and cravings have been minimal. Knowing that the option to drink isn't physically possible has been the chief contributor to this attempt at sobriety."

Birdman694 March 27, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I am amazed that this medicine is not prescribed more often. It WILL make you stop drinking as long as you take it. My wife gives me my medicine daily. If you really want to STOP drinking ask your doctor to give you a prescription."

sober mr. smith March 18, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence "I had allowed to let alcohol take my life from one that most would kill for and now into the hell I knew 6 months ago. I had lost just about everything so that I could drink alone and keep getting that feeling feeling of ease that alcohol brought me. If I had I not been prescribed antibuse and started taking it I am confidant that I would either be dead or in jail right now. I have been taking the medication now for 6 months and have not drank. This miricle medication combined with AA and spiritual fellowship have very quickly turned my life back in the direction that it should have been going for the past 2 years. I have suffered no major side effects other than a lack of cravings."

Cdavis178 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Well, I had tried everything to beat the demon booze. Tried Nalmofene, Campral and Naltroxene medication, went countless AA meetings etc. But Nothing worked. Then I did some research and saw this medication and thankfully my doc prescribed it. Have been on it 6 days and stupidly enough decided to see on the fourth day what would 1 can of lager do? Managed to get through half the can and suddenly the symptoms begun. Flushing, my throat felt like it was swelling, thought my heart wars going to pop out my chest it was pounding so much and then I experienced uncontrollable shaking like Shaking Stevens. Then I burst into tears. Felt Awful! This tablet is a brilliant deterrent."

Euch (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "took antabuse on and off for 3-5 years, finally I got 3 consecutive yrs sober and I quit the pill and been sober over 20yrs. I wonder why I ever drank and have had good life now with lot less worry"

Anonymous October 3, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "have not ingested alcohol while on anabuse"

bluuuuu October 1, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been on this stuff for about 3 weeks. Typically 250mgs 3 times a week. I took my last dose 7 days ago. Not because I wanted to drink but because the drug spaces me out a bit and I was putting it off. So yesterday I decides to test it and drink. Apparently every alcoholic eventually does. Anyway even with a small dose and a 6 day gap, the liquor didn't make me sick but it was a very uncomfortable experience. Instead of that usual obsession where one drink leads to another to the point of total blackout, I actually poured my last beer down the sink. With 4 years of doing everything under the sun trying to put down the bottle, for me a desperate situationeed called for a desperate measures."

sickofliquor (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "Had drink while on antabuse. Felt nauseous, heart beat increased, blood shot eyes, headache. Never drank when taking again."

beerjet111 July 3, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence "I want to give my experience with this drug. I had been in and out of AA , NA, and those programs for years. I even went to rehab. Almost died in a serious accident, and still I ended up drinking again, more than before. Nothing worked, my self will, the help of others (who eventually lost all trust in me), my involvement in groups or studying literature on sobriety - nothing worked until I got a prescription for Antabuse. I have been able to stay sober for the longest period I have in years. And some very emotional things have come up since I've been on it that always used to drive me to drink but I was forced to face the problems head on and learn to cope in a different way. Not to say it hasnt been hard. But It's such a relief"

Axic03 March 15, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been to AA and did not find it effective. Please know, I respect anyone in the program. I found myself craving MORE after meeting and found so many that attended drinking between meetings. I just didn't get it. I have hidden my alcoholism, ashamed, a noticeable binge once a year or so (driving drunk, falling, bad decisions). I thought if I had a successful career and didn't go to jail I was "good at it". WRONG. I found a doctor I could trust and confided EVERYTHING. He recommended antabuse. I was so scared, I felt like it was going to be a "crutch" and a complete lazy failure. I am so grateful. I feel like it gives me a "beat" in the decision to drink. My "maybe I can drink" has turned into NO WAY!"

Trying..HARD February 8, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been to rehab twice in three years. I went to an addictionist and was prescribed Antabuse. I didn't get it filled due to the cost & fear of side effects. I made a deal with myself that if I messed up and drank, my "punishment" would be getting it filled. I messed up once, and said ok, that was a mulligan. If I mess up again... Which I did. So I got it filled. More than two weeks later, I am still sober! I am taking half pills every 3-4 days, keeping it in my system without it costing so much. Zero side effects, except for being SOBER! Someone drank in front of me on Thanksgiving. Normally I would be rabid to have some as well. With Antabuse, I couldn't be bothered to care or crave it."

Pink Archer November 30, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Have tried to give up many times in the past but just haven't been able to do it. Really didn't like AA and sheer willpower just doesn't work. Plus, I just love to drink! I've tried cutting back or just drinking on weekends but I always end up going back to an everyday habit. I started Antabuse and have found it the most effective way to stop. The fear of having a drink far outweighs the desire to drink. I still have cravings and have gone for a few days without taking it, thinking I'll have a drink in a week but then I always have a moment of strength and end up popping that pill! This buys me at least another week. I started on Campral 2 weeks ago to try to curb the cravings. It doesn't appear to be working but I'll persevere. 45 days!"

Goob1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence "I'm 66. I stopped drinking when I was in my early-mid 30s, helped by a psychotherapist. Went back to drinking 4-5 years later. Stopped again, went back. Etc. Went through another course of one-on-one therapy with no real results. Entered rehab (outpatient). Stopped again for a while. (Hated rehab.) Started drinking again after a few years. Entered group therapy with an emphasis on AA. Didn't work. (Hated AA.) Two months ago, I went on Antabuse, and the results have been GREAT. I take one dose in the mornings. Over time the urges have diminished; now they only pop up ever so often. I feel like I have a new life. Yay, Antabuse!"

BobY1 September 20, 2014

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "This has been a miracle. After over 30 years of drinking, I will have my longest sober period that I can remember, thanks to this medication. I have 37 days now, and can't possibly drink for at least another 2 weeks, to be safe from possible side effects, so I definitely will beat my 6 week record. No side effects that I have noticed, and learning what to do with myself sober, gradually. The medication is expensive, though ($237.00 a month) so if I didn't have insurance I probably would have trouble paying for it, but then again, I haven't spent money on alcohol, so for me, it more than pays for itself!"

scintillady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I was referred to a psychiatrist after having mood swings that caused me too have suicidal thoughts. Having a drinking problem for several years did not help it. I would have one maybe two bottles of wine every day of the week and not even have an hangover in the morning. I have tried acupuncture to help me stop drinking that did not work. Taking Antabuse was my last resort because I knew deep down if I went to the AA for help I would try to cut back but would soon slip back to my bad habits. I have been taking Antabuse for two weeks and have found that I don't even want a drink, my life seems much brighter now and full of hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it gets brighter every day."

Shell45 May 19, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I was drunk or hungover for over 30 years, and had every bad experience, including putting my pistol in my mouth a couple times. The intense physical craving, cramps, shaking, anxiety left me in the freshness of the brave new world. After 30 years of feeling completely sick, it's hard to say if this medicine has any side effects at all. It's been a life saver for me."

fyodor (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Best thing I've ever done, tried every other possible way to stop & this is the only thing that has broken my nine year daily drinking habit, I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone out there that just can't stop. I take it at night as it makes me drowsy but suits me as it now serves as a sleeping pill as well, a bit dizzy & nauseous in morning but early days. I take 1/2 tablet - 50mg every second night"

Reformed04 November 15, 2013

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Knowing how sick I'll get makes it possible to not drink. But the drowsiness side effect is unpleasant. All in all, if you really want to quit drinking, this may help you. It broke a 30 year habit for me, although I've had to repeat a few times. Quit telling yourself it's about willpower, get some help that WORKS!"

JJ51669 July 12, 2013

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I suffer from depression and anxiety, and want to drink to get relief. I didn't find the help I needed in AA, and truthfully, always knew that drinking was an option, so I would drive myself crazy...to drink, to resist drinking, and on and on. So, I have been getting help through a psychiatrist, a therapist, and a depression educational support group, and am learning new ways to cope for my depression and anxiety. Taking Antabuse helps me resist the urge to take the alcohol way out of my discomfort, and use my new tools. I have been taking Antabuse for 10 days now. I take it at night and it helps me sleep better. I have no other side effects, and I've eaten Vineagrette dressing and Catsup with no problems."

Dual Diagnosis (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "This medicine is a God send. I've been in recovery for 4 years, pretty much done it all: AA meetings daily, 33 day detox/rehab, IOP, 1:1 therapy at an addiction center, prescriptions for naltrexone and Campral. Two years into treatment, I still wanted to drink. My husband was desperate and suggested Antabuse. I researched it on the internet and was willing to try anything. My primary doc knew I was crazy so he prescribed it. I took it for 3 months, drank once on it...thought I'd die and that was the end of that. After 3 months, I wasn't obsessing about drinking any longer so I stopped taking it daily. I carry it with me at all times. Take 1 here and there so I never know if its in my system. No side effects. This is not a magic bullet. You MUST have an honest desire to stop drinking."

Allison H. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2012

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Most of you on this site have had one or more miserable mornings where you have told yourself and others that you have quit drinking for good. I had a countless number of those before I saw my Doctor and was prescribed Antabuse. My intentions were always sincere but this medicine required that I saw my intentions through. I had loads of motivation, 2 pills a day, and was sober for a month. Thanks to that same motivation, the fact that I was feeling much better, and many many other reasons, I have been sober for another 3 months without Antabuse. Advice; go to the store and buy all of your alcohol free hygiene products beforehand. You will still have the physical symptoms so read up on those. If you can't talk to your doctor, find another one."

NavinJohnson (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "So, I've been battling alcoholism for years - about a decade (and I'm 30). I've been to 2 treatment centers and an outpatient program with the longest stint of sobriety being a solid 109 days. I've gone from being 100% alcohol dependent in my mid 20's to sober to recreational drinking, but almost always I'll end up on benders or sneaking it. Anyway, I tried Antabuse about 6 months ago and took it for about a month...drank on it repeatedly and got so sick each and every time so I just stopped taking the pills. I'm talking beet red face and neck and chest, heart racing, etc. I'm back on it now. I started yesterday and vowed to take it for 6 months."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "Used if for four weeks two years ago but was then scaremongered about its side effects by a hospital counsellor. Still couldn't control my drinking and has been getting to a seriously dangerous state so I started back on them last Saturday. Today is Day 6 and I have been to the pub for lunch and coffee and have not felt the need to drink although have felt cravings. Have had trouble sleeping and a few headaches but nothing too untoward. Hope to stay sober for a lot longer!"

chimpy February 23, 2012

For Alcohol Dependence "Helped me break a long-cycle of binge drinking but after 3 weeks I found the side-effects too much to deal with- constant drowsiness, fatigue, muscle pain, nausea and stomach cramps. Good luck to everyone who can make it work for them!"

Anonymous December 15, 2011