User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Learn more about Diazepam.

Diazepam Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Muscle Spasm

"I'm twenty years old and have a herniated disc, a torn pelvic muscle, and chronic scrotal pain. Some heavy-duty pain. I've tried just about all muscle relaxers out there, and Diazepam (Valium) is the only one that loosens up my muscle spasms I get daily. It's a very therapeutic feeling. It's also nowhere as sedating as other muscle relaxers, which made me extremely groggy. I take 5 mg four times a day and have no need to increase my current regimen. It's wonderful for severe muscle spasms/pain, while also relaxing you. Highly recommended!"

Jessiekido (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2015

"Valium is a great muscle relaxer, however long term use causes more pain in the long run. After I had been taking a low 5-10 therapeutic dose for neck pain. I became intolerant to that dose & ended up with an 18 year dependency. I reached a daily 40 mg dependency when severe back & leg pain began. 18 years later, I managed to reduce the dosage to 10mgs a day with little w/drawal symptoms. Then I came across an obscure research article on rats given Valium. They developed RA-like symptoms, which is what I have. It's a type of rebound muscle pain when your body's tolerance level reaches it's peak. It's similar to rebound headaches & the pain is severe. Please think carefully about staying on Valium long term. I'd say 2 months is safest."

Lexie247 April 8, 2015

"I was having severe leg cramp in my right leg due to pinched nerve. Whole leg would cramp when I got out of bed in the morning. Started taking a 5mg valium before bed. First time I took before bed no leg cramp in morning. I have reduced dose to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet (2 1/2 mg)and still no cramps. going to reduce to 1/4 tablet and try to in time to wean myself off. Several peoples comments on here have said can take as needed so that is what I hope I can eventually do."

Winter Run Farm March 18, 2015

"It's the only thing that works for me without drowsiness or any side effects. Just hard to find a dr to prescribe it. Helps my neuropathy & muscle spasms & anxiety. "

Dolphindreamer (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

Valium (diazepam): "Over all good"

zania February 14, 2015

"I've had a bad back for over 50 years. I never lost much work, but as I've gotten older my pain has increased. I was prescribed Norco (180 Tabs per month) for pain in 2005, and in 2009 Valium (120/10mg per month) for increased pain. I took the medicines reverently, with no noticeable side effects. I could work on our 5 acres and sleep. In Oct, 2014, my doctor stopped the valium, citing abuse by youngsters with the 2 medicines. I'm 71 and have never abused them. The pain specialist cut my Norco to 120 tabs per month. Now I'm in more pain and don't sleep well. I'm trying to make them see that The only thing I'm addicted to is being out of pain, and give me my meds back. Please"

Michaelgtheonly February 6, 2015

Valium (diazepam): "This medication works as intended with minimal side effects. Relieves my muscle spasms and takes away the nervousness and bad attitude caused by back pain (not back ache). I take Percocet with Valium. "

Coon dog January 22, 2015

Valium (diazepam): "I suffer from lower back pain. I had a back fusion in November 2013 about 6 months ago I started having really bad back spasms around the area they did the fusion which was my L-5/S-1. They had me on Flexeril but did not help they tried the Valium and it works. I do not take it every day only when I have the spasms between that and the Percocet it is the only thing that works. But I only take them as needed."

USAF Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2014

Valium (diazepam): "My muscle spasms in my spine were caused by injury. They have gotten worse with age. BUT, I had Doctors who listened. I cannot take "pain" pills or even NSAIDS. And because of the injury to my head, aspirin in large doses. Valium was prescribed by three Neurologists-but in low doses. The reviews I have read that are negative to Valium have the patients taking doses WAAAY to high. They are creating zombies. I take 6 Mg. a DAY--and it works and I have live with this spine pain--on a cane--for many years. They cannot "cure" it, but Valium has made it possible for me to stay out of a wheelchair. The Doctors who overprescribe are CREATING a problem for the patient. It is a very effective medication, cheap and very mild side effects."

laverdad (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Valium (diazepam): "I have fibromyalgia and a undiagnosed connective tissue disorder and this medicine has helped me with spasms and pain as well as trigger points reduction. Currently using it for a anxiety med as well this medicine has helped with All of the above at the same time taking the place of numerous medications. I feel this should be used as substitute for multiple meds to reduce the amount of potential interactions and unnecessary additional medications."

Lana050513 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tried all the muscle relaxant medicines, then my pain management doctor introduced me to diazepam, the spasms in my legs and fusioned area of my back disappeared overnight. The way I know it works is because if I don't take it the symptoms reappear."

sinclairville June 10, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My GP put me on this to help with back spasms and to try and provide some relief from complex regional pain syndrome but I have no relief at all and my pain continues to worsen."

Suze_b18 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2014

Valium (diazepam): "Great for muscle spasms"

sid owen February 5, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Valium (diazepam): "Very helpful with back injury & muscle spasms. No side effects that I'm aware of. My condition is severe, without it and other meds I still have restless poor sleep due to severe pain & spasms but I barely have no sleep or relief without it."

renee croft November 15, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I rate diazepam a "10", it's still the best & safest in it's class -- but only when taken very sparingly. I liken it to a 'fire extinguisher', use only in case of emergency. If you take on a daily schedule (e.g., 3 times a day, every day) then you're making yourself a slave, and you'll be dull-witted & stupid much of the time. Just like reliance on any pill. We owe it to our families, friends, employers and ourselves to be productive, happy and helpful. I have the 5 mg. tablets in case of emergency. It acts fast, not too strong. There's no craving for 'another pill' hours or even days later, because it's very long acting. Be smart. Use only in case of real emergency and it's the best."

ExperienceSpeaking (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Diastat (diazepam): "Outstanding!"

lINNY 51 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2013

Valium (diazepam): "Have taken this with my other medicines prescribed. It actually works and if taken for a long time you need not just stop, you have to be weaned off."

KatRL31 (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diazepam works wonders for taking away muscle spasm type pain in my legs due to proximal tibiofibular instability issues. It also helps with my intermittent piriformis syndrome (butt pain) after I have sat down too much. No gastrointestinal side effects. No problem to take when needed on an empty stomach. Ever since having some diazepam, there is never a need for hydrocodone pain medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great for Fibromyalgia muscle spasms after Flexeril quit working. A Native American doc told me that was what these were originally created for. This works best with my other Fibromyalgia medicines. On 10mg up to 3xs a day, have been using them for over 9 years with great success. Like someone else mentioned, not everyone gets tired on them."

Pixels July 8, 2013

Valium (diazepam): "It really helps with my chronic pain I can walk on the treadmill with no hands for 40 min. I was taking it for something else but notice on the treadmill my bad hand just relaxed and let go. "

frogtoad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2013

"I use it occasionally for migraine prevention and rarely for sedative effects."

Trace Elliot (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2013

Valium (diazepam): "It gives me rapid relief of my muscle spasms starting within 10 minutes. It's the only 'as needed' medication I know of, whereas the others I've been prescribed are 'take at scheduled times' meaning they have slow bioavailability and one may be taking unneccessary doses."

InSoMuchPain January 26, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Valium (diazepam): "I have been put on Valium to relieve the muscle spasms and aches due to the reduction of Prednisone, which I have been taking for a long period of time (26 years). Anyway this reduction of Prednisone has caused me quite a bit of muscle spasms, muscle aches, and muscle pain. The 10 mg of Valium relieves the muscle spasms and achiness. I feel the Valium is a God send for my relief. I take one 10-mg tab of Valium every morning when I wake up, as that is when the muscle pain is most severe. The Valium is effective in relieving the effects of the tapering down of my Prednisone level. Valium works very well for me. I rate the Valium a 10 in my relief!"

bobweezl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Diazepam Intensol (diazepam): "Excellent for post-surgical spasm."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2012

Valium (diazepam): "No doctor had been able to diagnose my condition. As a result, I was prescribed 10mg of Valium 3x daily as a crutch indefinitely. At first, I was dim-witted and happy and got SOME relief, but after about a year, I started to become increasingly apathetic, dim-witted, started to have problems with light sensitivity and focus, become uninterested in socializing, and have a personality shift from the funny, charming guy, to a depressed robot with anger spasms, who takes risks just to feel some sense of being alive. After 2.5 years, the physical relief has all but stopped, and an any case I cannot have a life taking this. I am in the process of tapering off of it."

Juijo April 18, 2012