User Reviews for Diazepam

Also known as: Diastat, Diastat AcuDial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol, Dizac, Valium, Valrelease, Zetran

Learn more about Diazepam.

Diazepam review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Diazepam to treat Muscle Spasm

Review by Lana050513 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Valium (diazepam): I have fibromyalgia and a undiagnosed connective tissue disorder and this medicine has helped me with spasms and pain as well as trigger points reduction. Currently using it for a anxiety med as well this medicine has helped with All of the above at the same time taking the place of numerous medications. I feel this should be used as substitute for multiple meds to reduce the amount of potential interactions and unnecessary additional medications.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by sinclairville:

I tried all the muscle relaxant medicines, then my pain management doctor introduced me to diazepam, the spasms in my legs and fusioned area of my back disappeared overnight. The way I know it works is because if I don't take it the symptoms reappear.

June 10, 2014 2:37 PM

Review by Suze_b18 (taken for less than 1 month):

My GP put me on this to help with back spasms and to try and provide some relief from complex regional pain syndrome but I have no relief at all and my pain continues to worsen.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by sid owen:

Valium (diazepam): Great for muscle spasms

February 5, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by renee croft:

Valium (diazepam): Very helpful with back injury & muscle spasms. No side effects that I'm aware of. My condition is severe, without it and other meds I still have restless poor sleep due to severe pain & spasms but I barely have no sleep or relief without it.

November 15, 2013 9:45 PM

Review by ExperienceSpeaking (taken for less than 1 month):

I rate diazepam a "10", it's still the best & safest in it's class -- but only when taken very sparingly. I liken it to a 'fire extinguisher', use only in case of emergency. If you take on a daily schedule (e.g., 3 times a day, every day) then you're making yourself a slave, and you'll be dull-witted & stupid much of the time. Just like reliance on any pill. We owe it to our families, friends, employers and ourselves to be productive, happy and helpful. I have the 5 mg. tablets in case of emergency. It acts fast, not too strong. There's no craving for 'another pill' hours or even days later, because it's very long acting. Be smart. Use only in case of real emergency and it's the best.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2013 12:44 PM

Review by lINNY 51 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Diastat (diazepam): Outstanding!

September 15, 2013 1:08 PM

Review by KatRL31 (taken for 10 years or more):

Valium (diazepam): Have taken this with my other medicines prescribed. It actually works and if taken for a long time you need not just stop, you have to be weaned off.

August 8, 2013 4:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Diazepam works wonders for taking away muscle spasm type pain in my legs due to proximal tibiofibular instability issues. It also helps with my intermittent piriformis syndrome (butt pain) after I have sat down too much. No gastrointestinal side effects. No problem to take when needed on an empty stomach. Ever since having some diazepam, there is never a need for hydrocodone pain medicine.

July 15, 2013 1:30 AM

Review by Pixels:

Great for Fibromyalgia muscle spasms after Flexeril quit working. A Native American doc told me that was what these were originally created for. This works best with my other Fibromyalgia medicines. On 10mg up to 3xs a day, have been using them for over 9 years with great success. Like someone else mentioned, not everyone gets tired on them.

July 8, 2013 3:40 PM

Review by frogtoad (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Valium (diazepam): It really helps with my chronic pain I can walk on the treadmill with no hands for 40 min. I was taking it for something else but notice on the treadmill my bad hand just relaxed and let go.

March 18, 2013 4:12 PM

Review by Trace Elliot (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I use it occasionally for migraine prevention and rarely for sedative effects.

March 10, 2013 4:05 AM

Review by InSoMuchPain:

Valium (diazepam): It gives me rapid relief of my muscle spasms starting within 10 minutes. It's the only 'as needed' medication I know of, whereas the others I've been prescribed are 'take at scheduled times' meaning they have slow bioavailability and one may be taking unneccessary doses.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by bobweezl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Valium (diazepam): I have been put on Valium to relieve the muscle spasms and aches due to the reduction of Prednisone, which I have been taking for a long period of time (26 years). Anyway this reduction of Prednisone has caused me quite a bit of muscle spasms, muscle aches, and muscle pain. The 10 mg of Valium relieves the muscle spasms and achiness. I feel the Valium is a God send for my relief. I take one 10-mg tab of Valium every morning when I wake up, as that is when the muscle pain is most severe. The Valium is effective in relieving the effects of the tapering down of my Prednisone level. Valium works very well for me. I rate the Valium a 10 in my relief!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2012 3:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Diazepam Intensol (diazepam): Excellent for post-surgical spasm.

June 19, 2012 3:24 PM

Review by Juijo:

Valium (diazepam): No doctor had been able to diagnose my condition. As a result, I was prescribed 10mg of Valium 3x daily as a crutch indefinitely. At first, I was dim-witted and happy and got SOME relief, but after about a year, I started to become increasingly apathetic, dim-witted, started to have problems with light sensitivity and focus, become uninterested in socializing, and have a personality shift from the funny, charming guy, to a depressed robot with anger spasms, who takes risks just to feel some sense of being alive. After 2.5 years, the physical relief has all but stopped, and an any case I cannot have a life taking this. I am in the process of tapering off of it.

April 18, 2012 8:24 PM

Review by Dandfy:

I had a lumbar spine op in 1996 and each year have about two severe episodes of muscle spasm in my back, the only thing that brings about quick results is diazepam. If left to its own devices the spasm takes two to three weeks to subside. No side effects but feel relaxed.

February 12, 2012 1:23 PM

Review by Charlie Crazy Bud:

I had surgery on my back in my lower lumbar for stoniness. I am on Valium and Hydrocodone/acetaminophen and the medicines seem to work during the day but when I get up in the morning I can't feel my legs. I then take the medicines and about 30 min's later I'm okay. I still have the pain in the day but not as bad. I am also having erectile dysfunction. I hope this will go away after healing of the back.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 7:22 PM

Review by Big Baseball Fan:

Valium (diazepam): I'm a 32 yr young woman, who at the age of 11 was diagnosed with a severe spine disorder (scoliosis), it was also affecting my vertebra, they were turning in causing my ribs to crush my lungs. My doctor said I had a year or so to live. I was slowly suffocating. So at 12 yrs old I had 2 herrington rods put in on each side of my spine. From neck to tush! The pain then wasn't to bad, that I remember, but now at 32 some days I can't even move (WINTER-IDAHO). But 2 yrs ago I started using diazepam and at first I slept a lot, but as time has passed I have a great life. I myself cannot play sports but I can sit on a metal bench for 3 to 4 hours and enjoy watching my 4 boys play sports. Take as prescribed and tell your doctor if it's not helping.

September 14, 2011 12:08 AM

Review by kevinlee55:

I have recurrent issues with herniated discs in my spine. In regards to pain management medicines I find this medicine outstanding. With the onset of severe back pain I find I only need take two per night for a couple of nights and the pain literally dissolves. I like diazepam because it does not make me feel trippy and there are no residual effects the following day. I actually don't feel any actual effects of it working. I simply wake up the next day and my pain is gone. I certainly do not feel any sense of dependency on it and happily stop and start dosage as needed. I would recommend this to anyone suffering similar issues.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2011 9:41 AM

Review by logistician:

Valium (diazepam): Did little to relieve spasms radiating through leg muscles from lumbar stenosis, which it was prescribed for. Most notable effect was erectile dysfunction.

June 7, 2011 2:15 PM

Review by wrecky:

I have spasms in my lower back due to a car injury. Diazepam works wonderfully.

April 24, 2011 2:29 AM

Valium (diazepam): I was originally prescribed Valium for mild anxiety. It has helped but amazingly it has stopped my muscle pain from a bulging disc L5. I now suffer no pain at all from the muscles around the disc its amazing.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2011 6:29 PM

Valium (diazepam): I have a bulging disc @ L5 & S1, also causing sciatica pain. The disc is impinging on a nerve causing numbness and tingling in my lower leg and foot. At times there are spasms that can hurt so bad I will actually jump up out of my chair or sit straight up in bed out of a dead sleep. I have been on pain medicines alone, pain medicines along with muscle relaxers and muscle relaxers alone. I prefer the muscle relaxers alone because they don't seem to make me feel so bad during the day and I can still function and take care of my household. Guess I will find out if that still works after surgery, that is if they decide I need it, I really hope we can find another option to "fix" my back for now.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2011 6:35 PM

Review by ghanson2010:

Valium (diazepam): It works the best for my sciatic nerve. They tried everything else and this works the best.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2010 6:50 PM