User Reviews for Dexilant

Learn more about Dexilant.

Dexilant review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Dexilant to treat GERD

Review by GIrlyMom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been battling heartburn for over a year. I've tried diet changes, homeopathic remedies, OTC medications, you name it. My doctor had me on Protonix (maximum dose) twice a day as well as Pepcid (also max dose) daily, but I wasn't having any relief. I switched to a new GI doctor and he prescribed the Dexilant. Wow! The relief was felt after 2 days on the medication. I have been on it for about a month now, and I've only had 2 episodes of heartburn in that time. Amazing!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 1:06 AM

Review by Baze (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taking 60mg same time every day. It seemed to work better at controlling my GERD symptoms after about a month. But around the same time I developed debilitating diarrhea. I continued to take it for another month and the diarrhea didn't go away so I stopped taking it. It's only been a couple of days so far and it still hasn't gotten any better.

May 24, 2014 8:32 PM

Review by Bayfishn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I tried everything over the counter and prescription with no success until Dexilant, now I sleep at night and eat normal food. note: I do take a fiber to help with a bit of constipation. note:you can get a discount card on the Dexilant website.

January 20, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by MrsA2013:

After trying Omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), and other over the counter proton pump inhibitors over the years, I found they were not doing the trick. I had a perpetual sore throat for a few months, and finally went to the ENT who said the acid was burning my esophagus. He put me on Dexilant, which cured that after about 3 weeks. I stayed on it for a few months, the sore throat went away completely and I never had acid problems after that. This is expensive, but worth it! It is the best thing out there, and the trick to taking it is you have to take first thing in the morning, 30 mins before any food on empty stomach. If you have ANY food in your stomach, you will get diarrhea.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by Seph74:

Gave me bad gas.

September 28, 2013 10:31 PM

Review by patty penguin:

I have GERD. Doctors have prescribed medicines that have not been effective. I have tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec, with no relief no matter the dosage. When the GERD is not under control I cannot keep anything down. I have thrown up more acid than anyone can imagine. Thanks to my doctor, who prescribed Dexilant the horrors of GERD are behind me. I have suffered no side effects. My advertisement for this medicine would be DEXILANT IS EXCELLENT.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 12:44 AM

Review by RemingtonAdda (taken for less than 1 month):

Dexilant is a God send! I experienced acid reflux out of the blue for the first time that was very severe. For three days straight regardless of the position I was in. My doctor gave me a sample of Dexilant and I felt better within hours, and by the end of the day my reflux subsided. I take 60mg every day, once a day and have been well. I did experience constipation for a few days, but it went away however my stool is not fully normal. The medication is more expensive then other ones on the market, but talk to your doctor and see if he will give you a months worth of samples to see how you feel before you get it prescribed. I eat lots of dairy and spicy foods and all is well.

September 9, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by Opie FLA, Dex saved me!:

I had excessive throat clearing after meals for ten years and seems after coffee/tea especially, did not know why? Some days worse than others thought maybe sinus draining or something. Recently I had reflux in my sleep, I had it every night for about 4 weeks straight, terrible stuff! I tried Prilosec OTC for 15 days, and nothing changed, then saw specialist and put on Dexilant. 15 days on Dexilant (1-60mg daily-15 days later I was still having the night reflux-doctor said take two Dexilant a day (morning/night dose). I did, three days later the night reflux gone. It has been a 3 weeks now, no night reflux. Some dry/throat days and light throat/day/burn, not anymore, no throat clearing, no side effects except green stool though.

August 26, 2013 11:26 PM

Review by GastroBlasticus:

I've had issues with GERD for a long time and have jumped between a few different medications. First I started with over the counter medications like Prilosec and worked my way along to Nexium. When that failed me Dexilant was prescribed. For GERD symptoms, Dexilant has kept things well controlled. I've been on it for almost 2 years now. However, during that time I've experienced a significant increase in gas and abdominal discomfort. Although I've uncovered lactose intolerance and a mild sensitivity to gluten, I still exhibit symptoms, so I'm starting to suspect that Dexilant may be contributing. If it turns out that reducing my intake of Dexilant is the culprit, I may have to choose between well-controlled GERD or Irritable Bowel Syndrome-like symptoms.

August 13, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by FaithieLynnn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ive been taking Dexilant for 3 months. Now I have diarrhea. Besides that this is my miracle pill.

June 30, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by my3boyz (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This is the only medication that help me. When I don't take it, I can definitely tell. I just wish it was covered by my insurance. The cost is ridiculous!

June 1, 2013 10:37 AM

Review by Dotster:

Started taking it about 3 weeks ago. Has done wonders for my reflux. I was waking up in the middle of the night just miserable with the burning in my esophagus and throat, and the taste of the acid. Horrible. The Dexilant has all but stopped that. Have had a couple days where I can taste the acid, but no pain. Just in the last few days, I have developed intense, burning itching on my arms, INSIDE my ears and on my scalp. No rash, just random itching. I am hoping and praying it isn't the medication, but at this point, I don't have any other ideas.

May 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by kdbrown9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dexilant seems to work better than Prilosec for me, although my symptoms wax and wane. Some days I feel good, other days, I can tell the medicine isn't working well. Not really sure how that is possible since I take it at the same time every day! I do get horrible gas and diarrhea and always end up stopping the meds for a day or two. However, I recently read that Keifer could help with acid reflux, so I started drinking it. It prevents the horrible gas and diarrhea that the Dexilant causes. One glass a day, and I am good! Now I can take the medicine daily as described and hope that it resolves what is causing my GERD. I highly suggest the Keifer for those not tolerating the medicine otherwise.

May 21, 2013 11:36 AM

Review by must have (taken for less than 1 month):

It's a miracle pill, nothing helped my burning ulcer, nausea and upset stomach like this pill. 60mg, once in morning, time released..only relief I've had in months. I've lost 12 pounds since December , no more upset stomach, no vomiting..It's amazing . I have not experienced any side effects...I am able to eat n feel normal for once!!! I highly recommend!!!! Get tha savings card, the script will cost $20 for 30 days supply. I feel normal for once !!!

May 12, 2013 12:23 AM

Review by Chris ny:

After reading several of these posts I decided to leave mine. I have severe GERD. My doctor after prescribing several different medicines gave me samples of Dexilant. Ever since then my life has changed for the better. At first I was taking 30mg twice a day then I went to 60mg once daily. Never had I been prescribed more than 60mg total daily. I have read that others were taking way more and more frequently. I think they might want to get a second opinion on dosages. I was on Dexilant for several yrs with NEVER having any side effects. I recently had corrective surgery and hope to never be on meds again for this condition. I would absolutely recommend Dexilant to anyone in need of this kind of medication.

May 8, 2013 11:15 PM

My Dr. prescribed this after 80mg of Nexium stopped working but after a week of Dexilant, I'm stopping it because of the awful flatulence and abdominal pain starting about 12 hrs after taking it. So glad to get validation here that others have had similar problems since the patient info says this only happens for a small amount of users.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I loved taking Dexilant. It stopped my heartburn and acid reflux immediately. After about a year I think I linked it to chronic chest pain symbolic of a heart attack. This medication worked for my irritable bowel syndrome too, I was not constantly in the bathroom and began feeling normal again. Unfortunately my Dr changed my medicines to see if my chest and side pain would go away. Now its just a waiting process again. When switching meds I also noticed my acid reflux came back worse then before though. I have mixed feelings but for acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome I believe its a miracle but if my pains are related to Dexilant I would have to drop my rating some.

September 25, 2012 1:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Dexilant for 5 weeks now for severe GERD and Reflux. I have tried many, many other medications. The only one that came close to working was Nexium, but the side effects were horrible and numerous. I had to stop taking it after 6 weeks. So far, I have taken Dexilant without much incident - and it is WORKING! I have significant relief of my symptoms and the only side effect I've noticed is a metallic taste in my mouth at times. To me, this is very minor and worth the trade off. Well worth the money so far. I'm so happy my Dr. prescribed Dexilant for me!

August 26, 2012 5:28 PM

First day to take it, I realized I was not going to die. My chest had been hurting so bad and I had lost 40 pounds from not being able to eat. I had to have my gallbladder removed (which causes diarrhea) about a week before I was prescribed Dexilant, so if it does give me diarrhea, I wouldn't notice. So far, no side effects.

August 24, 2012 12:07 AM

Review by csts1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Had been on Zantac for years, which had controlled my reflux. Then 3 times in 9 months I vomited for over a week, unstoppable, hospitalized for a week each of 1st two times. No apparent reasons; intense testing all negative. Third time, my gastroenterologist decided to try Dexilant just to see. The vomiting stopped in less than 24 hours, preventing hospitalization. Now I switch back to Zantac 2-3 months after each incident, but when 24 hours vomiting recurs, I instantly return to Dexilant for a couple of more months. Haven't been hospitalized in almost 5 years. Expensive, but worth every penny.

August 2, 2012 11:48 PM

This was a dream come true...until the diarrhea came. I had zero GERD symptoms for the first time in 14 yrs. It was so disappointing when I developed uncontrollable diarrhea that lasted 22 days. I stopped taking the medication and it took another week for the symptoms to go away. I gave it a 2 month break, tried it again when I was having a very bad day with my hiatal hernia and GERD. It only took 2 days for the symptoms to come back this time. Really very sad I have to choose between pain and diarrhea.

April 19, 2012 9:57 PM

Review by Nita40+:

After taking Nexium for a year with little relief, I asked for something BETTER...they were hesitant due to the cost (that's a shame, but true) and after a few samples, I was CONVINCED that it was a miracle and worth the extra money. I have been on it over 6 months now and my husband hasn't heard me complain once, about my stomach, that is.

February 27, 2012 10:25 AM

Review by Happy in OK:

23 years of heartburn/acid refulx. Dealt with it during the day, but took Zantac 350 nights a year before bed. Slept on elevated bed or 8 pillows too. Finally went to an gastro doc and he gave me samples of Dexilant. I only take one every other day, even though prescribed for daily use. Haven't had one episode of heartburn in 8 weeks now, and I sleep flat. No side effects for me either, except a little weight gain because I can eat late at night!

February 17, 2012 7:10 PM

Review by Peter Bab:

This medication after usuing it for a month plus has ended me up in the emergency room for severe chest pains, dizziness, high blood pressure, occasional, diarrhea, Tightness in the chest , cramps and muscle aches.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2012 9:28 PM

I have been taking Dexilant for almost a year now, and although it helps with my heartburn I have gained weight, I am tired a lot. I have now developed sinus problems and I am getting a lot of headaches. I am not sure if any of these are noted side effects, but this is what is happening to me.

December 20, 2011 3:00 PM