User Reviews for Dexilant

Learn more about Dexilant.

Dexilant Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Dexilant to treat GERD

"I have Barrett's as well as severe Gurd! I have tried everything you can think of! I have been on Dexalant for almost 2 weeks and not one episode! I am so happy my doctor gave me this! It has literally changed my life! I have suffered so long with feeling miserable! I had almost lost hope of feeling normal again until I took this! From the first day I took it not one single pain or waking up at night!"

Changed my life August 31, 2015

"My husband has been dealing with severe reflux issues for the past four years due to a low-functioning esophageal sphincter. The acid is free to move about the esophagus when aggravated, most often after eating or sleeping, resulting in severe discomfort upon waking in the morning (bile regurgitation, coughing, etc.). He suffered from an ulcer a couple years ago due to overactive acid production and we thought we got that taken care of only for the symptoms to return tenfold. He has been put on every acid blocker you can imagine, none of which worked. We were certain he was going to need an operation until Dexilant was prescribed. It has totally transformed his stomach and his life."

MHU July 22, 2015

"Suffered from heartburn for a couple decades. Used to treat with regular doses of tums, Prilosec, and every other over the counter acid inhibitor. Nothing worked for more than a day or so. I have been taking dexilant for 18 months now and have yet to have a single instance of heartburn. It's a fantastic remedy for those regular heartburn sufferers."

K2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2015

"Dexalant cured my GERD, I had never felt better, then my lower back started killing me and got worst. I stopped the Dexalant and it got some better but still hurts. Anyone else experience this?"

vickifb June 23, 2015

"I have severe gerd and erosive esphogus. This is the best medicine I've had. But there's no generic and I can't afford the $170 a month. And that's with the company coupon. It's a shame such a great medicine is so expensive and insurance won't cover it."

Animallover21984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2015

"I am using Dexelant over 5 years and I keep taking every day it's help me a lot I was very bad to much heartburn so sick of it but thanks to Dexelant for helping me so much"

Berbatovci (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2015

"The best PPI I have used and I have tried them all. I was always needing to take the other once daily PPIs twice a day but not this one! My insurance refused to pay for the Nexuim I was on so I was required to switch...I am so glad that happened! Only costs $22 a month with my insurance and the company coupon."

Deanna Marie May 3, 2015

"Was diagnosed with 'silent' GERD with erosive esophagus. Put on omeprazole for a couple weeks, then got prescription Dexilant for a couple weeks. Both gave me daily very uncomfortable symptoms of heartburn that I had never had before. My doctor said I was his first "failure" on that medication."

Christina 427 April 20, 2015

"I was given samples if dexilant from my Dr. I was recently diagnosed with GERD. I had mucus in the back of my throat so bad I couldn't eat anything at all. I could hardly drink water without it irritating the acid in my throat. The dexilant worked like a charm I could eat and I had no side effects. Then after a week of use I started getting bad cramps in my legs. They just recently spread to my entire body. I went to the er yesterday morning they told me I had tardiv dyskonesia. I stopped taking all my medications a week ago and the cramps are still here they Here.!! I was given benadryl in the er and was told to continue use for 10days to see if the reaction goes away... I'd rather have the diarrhea then constant muscle spasms"

Damita Jo (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

"I tried everything else on the market. Nexium works, but not as good as dexiliant. With Nexium I got most of the listed side effects plus my new insurance will not pay for nexium prescription . I had to buy it over the counter and take double dosage which came out of be about 46 instead of 23. I really need prescription of 40 mg? I am glad I do not have stomach pain, lower back pain, dry mouth, etc from taking nexium. All the other acid reflux prescription or over the counter didn't work and gave me side effect . My new insurance will pay for dexiliant, but a small portion and I couldn't afford the $150 a month co-pay. I found out that the maker of dexiliant with pay the remaining $130 for me and I just have to pay $20out of pocket"

love to eat February 24, 2015

"I've used them all! Dexilant is the only one that works!"

DCGomes January 12, 2015

"I've been battling heartburn for over a year. I've tried diet changes, homeopathic remedies, OTC medications, you name it. My doctor had me on Protonix (maximum dose) twice a day as well as Pepcid (also max dose) daily, but I wasn't having any relief. I switched to a new GI doctor and he prescribed the Dexilant. Wow! The relief was felt after 2 days on the medication. I have been on it for about a month now, and I've only had 2 episodes of heartburn in that time. Amazing!"

GIrlyMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2014

"I was taking 60mg same time every day. It seemed to work better at controlling my GERD symptoms after about a month. But around the same time I developed debilitating diarrhea. I continued to take it for another month and the diarrhea didn't go away so I stopped taking it. It's only been a couple of days so far and it still hasn't gotten any better."

Baze (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2014

"I tried everything over the counter and prescription with no success until Dexilant, now I sleep at night and eat normal food. note: I do take a fiber to help with a bit of constipation. note:you can get a discount card on the Dexilant website."

Bayfishn (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2014

"After trying Omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), and other over the counter proton pump inhibitors over the years, I found they were not doing the trick. I had a perpetual sore throat for a few months, and finally went to the ENT who said the acid was burning my esophagus. He put me on Dexilant, which cured that after about 3 weeks. I stayed on it for a few months, the sore throat went away completely and I never had acid problems after that. This is expensive, but worth it! It is the best thing out there, and the trick to taking it is you have to take first thing in the morning, 30 mins before any food on empty stomach. If you have ANY food in your stomach, you will get diarrhea."

MrsA2013 October 8, 2013

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Gave me bad gas."

Seph74 September 28, 2013

"I have GERD. Doctors have prescribed medicines that have not been effective. I have tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec, with no relief no matter the dosage. When the GERD is not under control I cannot keep anything down. I have thrown up more acid than anyone can imagine. Thanks to my doctor, who prescribed Dexilant the horrors of GERD are behind me. I have suffered no side effects. My advertisement for this medicine would be DEXILANT IS EXCELLENT."

patty penguin September 12, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Dexilant is a God send! I experienced acid reflux out of the blue for the first time that was very severe. For three days straight regardless of the position I was in. My doctor gave me a sample of Dexilant and I felt better within hours, and by the end of the day my reflux subsided. I take 60mg every day, once a day and have been well. I did experience constipation for a few days, but it went away however my stool is not fully normal. The medication is more expensive then other ones on the market, but talk to your doctor and see if he will give you a months worth of samples to see how you feel before you get it prescribed. I eat lots of dairy and spicy foods and all is well."

RemingtonAdda (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2013

"I had excessive throat clearing after meals for ten years and seems after coffee/tea especially, did not know why? Some days worse than others thought maybe sinus draining or something. Recently I had reflux in my sleep, I had it every night for about 4 weeks straight, terrible stuff! I tried Prilosec OTC for 15 days, and nothing changed, then saw specialist and put on Dexilant. 15 days on Dexilant (1-60mg daily-15 days later I was still having the night reflux-doctor said take two Dexilant a day (morning/night dose). I did, three days later the night reflux gone. It has been a 3 weeks now, no night reflux. Some dry/throat days and light throat/day/burn, not anymore, no throat clearing, no side effects except green stool though."

Opie FLA, Dex saved me! August 26, 2013

"I've had issues with GERD for a long time and have jumped between a few different medications. First I started with over the counter medications like Prilosec and worked my way along to Nexium. When that failed me Dexilant was prescribed. For GERD symptoms, Dexilant has kept things well controlled. I've been on it for almost 2 years now. However, during that time I've experienced a significant increase in gas and abdominal discomfort. Although I've uncovered lactose intolerance and a mild sensitivity to gluten, I still exhibit symptoms, so I'm starting to suspect that Dexilant may be contributing. If it turns out that reducing my intake of Dexilant is the culprit, I may have to choose between well-controlled GERD or Irritable Bowel Syndrome-like symptoms."

GastroBlasticus August 13, 2013

"Ive been taking Dexilant for 3 months. Now I have diarrhea. Besides that this is my miracle pill."

FaithieLynnn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2013

"This is the only medication that help me. When I don't take it, I can definitely tell. I just wish it was covered by my insurance. The cost is ridiculous!"

my3boyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 1, 2013

"Started taking it about 3 weeks ago. Has done wonders for my reflux. I was waking up in the middle of the night just miserable with the burning in my esophagus and throat, and the taste of the acid. Horrible. The Dexilant has all but stopped that. Have had a couple days where I can taste the acid, but no pain. Just in the last few days, I have developed intense, burning itching on my arms, INSIDE my ears and on my scalp. No rash, just random itching. I am hoping and praying it isn't the medication, but at this point, I don't have any other ideas."

Dotster May 28, 2013

"Dexilant seems to work better than Prilosec for me, although my symptoms wax and wane. Some days I feel good, other days, I can tell the medicine isn't working well. Not really sure how that is possible since I take it at the same time every day! I do get horrible gas and diarrhea and always end up stopping the meds for a day or two. However, I recently read that Keifer could help with acid reflux, so I started drinking it. It prevents the horrible gas and diarrhea that the Dexilant causes. One glass a day, and I am good! Now I can take the medicine daily as described and hope that it resolves what is causing my GERD. I highly suggest the Keifer for those not tolerating the medicine otherwise."

kdbrown9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2013

"It's a miracle pill, nothing helped my burning ulcer, nausea and upset stomach like this pill. 60mg, once in morning, time released..only relief I've had in months. I've lost 12 pounds since December , no more upset stomach, no vomiting..It's amazing . I have not experienced any side effects...I am able to eat n feel normal for once!!! I highly recommend!!!! Get tha savings card, the script will cost $20 for 30 days supply. I feel normal for once !!!"

must have (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2013