User Reviews for Prolia

Learn more about Prolia.

Prolia Rating Summary

3.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Prolia to treat Osteoporosis

"From the start I began to experience side effects. The most bothersome are the extreme sweating episodes followed by chills at least 12 times a day or more. In addition other side effects are more pain in my lower back and hips as well as a rash with associated itch on my upper back. I will never get another Prolia shot!!! Wish I knew there would be so much discomfort!"

MaryAnn468754 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"I have been on Prolia for approximately two years. Just this year ( my 5th injection) I did experience sore muscle/joint pain in my hips. About 4 months ago I developed dermatitis around the corners of my eyes, nose, mouth, and along both sides of my neck. I've never had allergies before. Also, I'm dealing with a feeling of deep exhaustion. I'm not sure whether this is due to Prolix. If my next bone density doesn't show marked increase, I will ask my physician for a change in med. one note--I faithfully exercise 3-4 times weekly with a trainer, take calcium, and eat green veggies and foods with calcium/D."

Oh M May 1, 2016

"This drug has been a nightmare . I have experienced unexplained bone pain in lower left leg and a breakout of bleeding gums and mouth sensitivity. I did not get any info from prescribing endodocrinologist except that it was a safe drug and that he had prescribed it to his mother! This has been a very expensive lesson in terms of dental cost and extremely detrimental to my health and well- being."

Diamondye April 28, 2016

"Terrible, have sciatica and severe leg in other leg"

Jessica A. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

"Prolia shot given July 26, 2012!. Immediately had every dermatological problem listed in the ad:Itching, rash all over body except for face, extreme pain, dry skin, repeated biopsies, thousands of dollars for doctors, prescriptions, lotions and potions. Left calf's skin completely peeled off like the bark of a tree and has never recovered four years later!! Even now it is again broken out in oozing rashes around the ankle, but the entire leg hurts. I must keep the hair on my legs shaved very close or when I am exercising in the Y pool, the leg is painful just with the movement of the tiny hairs in the water. The pain is inside as well as on the surface of my skin. These bad side effects continue! Have pictures of early rash available."

Mary Faris Hazelworth (Actual) (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2016

"I will never have this shot again. It made my skin loose & wrinkled. Researchers don't have a clue if this helps bones or not. I can tell you I completely reget trying prolia.And hate seeing Blythe Danner doing this commercial."

Jan Adams (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2016

"I had my first injection Oct 2015 and due again in April. Is the 2nd shot any better than the first one. Flu like systems the first couple of days, then constant constipation, acid reflux, extremely tired, itching. My Doctor told me I could not have any dental work done while on this drug, such as root canal. What other drugs can you take ? or is natural the best way. If you speak to naturopaths they claim these drugs throw your entire immune system out. Stay away from injections."

Patricia McLaughlin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

"Headaches, lower back pain, visual problems, increased reflux, foot swelling, fatigue"

Nickname 233 March 8, 2016

"About 3 days after my Prolia shot, I had severe pain in my lower back, right side. Very different from regular lower back pain due to aging. My doctor prescribed physical therapy ( not believing it was due to the Prolia injection) which provided temporary relief. But guess what!!! At the 6 month point, when the Prolia was out of my system, THE PAIN WENY AWAY. Duh. In the past I took fosamax (for 6 yrs) with no side effects. But...I am done with patent medicines. Am reading the book Your Bones, and plan on following their "natural" approach. I did report my experience to the FDA; my doctor (who I really like) didn't react very seriously to my concerns, only listed it as an an allergy on my chart. Don't docs ever talk to the FDA????????"

DMD88 February 20, 2016

"Severe leg pain , cramping in legs and feet, bruising. Not a good med for me."

Puf February 3, 2016

"I had my second shot last April and have had problems ever since. I now have TMJ jaw bone pain. Cannot eat without pain and crunch sounds. Have to use a hot water bottle on my jaw area.I have had severe bladder pain and severe acid reflux 2 weeks after getting the shot. I also have hip and bone pain. Itching has been horrible. I don't want this shot any longer. I will take my chances. I have osteoporosis but so did my mother and she never took this stuff and she did fine."

fuckit January 15, 2016

"I had 2 shots (1 every 6 months) for 2 years, then skipped 6 months. I plan to begin again next March for bone preservation. I want to avoid fracture risks. I had no bad side effects."

Scoliosis Granny (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"I had shot 3 months ago and have pain in leg, shoulder, toes and fingers. I have flu like symptoms off and on. This is a horrible drug and I will not be taking it again."

Anonymous November 14, 2015

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Prolia has the worst side effects of any medication on the market because it tampers with the immune system. I have had to call Amgen and the FDA numerous times for very serious side effects. This drug should be taken off of the market until Medical Doctors learn how to combat it. Once it's in, there is nothing they can do. In all reality, it is a chemo drug as it's twin Xgeva just has more of the active ingredient in it."

Pood October 28, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"HORRIBLE side effects! Loose tooth, needed extraction. Dentist found a healthy root, no problem with tooth. Lumps formed in several places. Rashes, shortness of breath. Hoarseness, headaches, joint pain...many more complaints."

angry in n.m. August 25, 2015

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far I have had two shots and am due for my third one next week. I have not had any side effects at all. In fact, strangely, before my first shot I would have constant dull aching and soreness/pain in my hips and pelvic area. Within a month of my first shot that was gone. It returned a month before my second shot and again left once that shot got into my system. Again, this last month the pain has returned and I am due for the shot next week so I hope the pain goes away again. I know that Prolia isn't meant to help with pain, but it seems to be doing something there for me. I am not due for a DEXA until 2016 so I don't yet know how effective it is for my bones yet."

Robinwomb (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2015

"I , too, had the constant itching and felt like something was crawling on me. I used Gold Bond extreme moisture lotion which helped somewhat. I gained 15 pounds in a matter of 2 weeks, shortness of breath on exertion, and confusion. This was only my first injection and I am due for a second in 2 months but not sure I want to go this route again. This is a monoclonal antibody not a drug and it affects the body differently than a drug. There is no antidote for this if you have a reaction, so you are stuck with the problems for quite some time."

Aussiemom May 27, 2015

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just got my 3rd shoot. I feel miserable. back, arm, legs pain, headaches, gain weight, along with others side effects I WILL STOP this prolia treatment"

depremida May 17, 2015

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just had my second shot last month. No side effects at all."

Suelamaur November 4, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Prolia for 2 years. I am so happy. Before Prolia, for a couple of the years I had been on Forteo, and I was tired to shot myself into the stomach every day. Again comparing to Forteo, I have much better results with Prolia. What is the most important for me :) Yes, I have some bones pain (legs, back) especially for the first 2 months but, when I see my last Bone Density results, I can bear the pain :)) Thanks Prolia! God is great!!"

Krysa (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Received the first shot the end of June, within a week I started with a rash on my neck, red swollen and itched day and night. Second week started with red blotches on either side on my mouth, blistered and peeled and was painful and itchy. It is now over 2 months later and the redness is fading but the itching still is awful, wakes me up at night with the itching. I have tried everything with no relief. I will not be taking another shot."

LizzyWizzy September 3, 2014

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The side effects of the medicine made me to opt out of taking the 2nd injection. Severe bone pain in the legs, back and hip along with a bladder infection causing me to be on antibiotics for months left me feeling very poorly. I also experienced change in bowel habits as well as loss of appetite. Twenty eight pounds were lost very quickly."

Grammytimes 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2013

375 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I can't tolerate orals. I like the convenience of twice a year with no side effects. My BMDs scores increased drastically."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2012

302 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Prolia for just over 1 year. Just had my 3rd shot. It is so much easier than taking pills which I did have problems with. I will get another bone scan this fall and will find out how I am doing on Prolia. I love that it is just every 6 months. Pretty much painless shot. No side effects at all."

Anonymous March 30, 2012

406 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate