User Reviews for Periactin

Learn more about Periactin.

Periactin Review Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Anorexia.

Reviews for Periactin to treat Anorexia

"I've always been very thin, and I disliked the way I looked in the mirror for years. Then 3 years ago my mom introduced me to this medicine, it worked wonders for my body. It stimulated my appetite, mad me sleepy which was good since I had problems sleeping and this medicine changed the way I looked. I was curvy and attractive, I took one pill every day or sometimes every other day and I moved from a size 0 to a beautiful size 6 and I was very happy with myself. The sad thing is I'm in China for one year doing my postgraduate degree and the stresses of being here have pulled my weight down to 8kgs less to where it was when I first came here. "

Melisa7 January 25, 2015

"I have been looking for a long time a pill that would help me gain weight. Its not like was unhappy with the way I look but just wanted to add some curves. My daughter has been taking the pill and she was a lot smaller than me and she is looking great now. It does make you a little sleep at first but your body will start to get adjusted to it. I highly recommend this pill for weight gain. I just love and one pill a day will do the trick!"

fabulous40 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is exceptional! I see many people saying they gained 1-5 lbs, I took it faithfully, three times a day and would you believe I moved up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 and put on about 22 lbs within only 4 wks. I stopped for about 2 wks, lost about 6 lbs(mainly stress) but I'm back on them and sleeping a little more, but it only took about 2-3 wks for my body to get used to them. If you wish to gain weight try this! You will cry tears of joy I was struggling with weight gain for about 5 yrs!"

Cece985 June 29, 2014

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"All my life I have struggled to gain or maintain my weight. There are periods when I have no appetite. Can go for days and not eat and not get hungry. This medication has been a God send. At first the drowsiness was almost debilitating. After reaching my desired weight, I found that dropping the dose to 1/4 tablet per day kept it on but without the side effects. My son suffers from the same thing and he is now on it too. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to gain weight."

JoJay June 29, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled keeping on weight all my life I used to buy it in my country it work like wonders. Since moving to the UK I was unable to find it. Last week I found it in a pharmacy I have stocked up on it like I am preparing for world war three."

Hilly Billy June 19, 2014

"I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels. "

maslar01 October 3, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite."

Trixie777 January 8, 2013

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy."

Anonymous July 17, 2012

"On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated."

Nummie1 December 4, 2011

"Periactin (Cyproheptadine) is amazing for weight gain! I gained so much weight and I looked amazing, however there were three side effects 1) I slept like a bear, I was always tired 2) I had really bad mood swings, and I was like a zombie 3) dry nose bleeds. However I reduced the dosage from 2 tables (one in the morning, one at night) to one a day and I felt much better. I recommend you take multi-vitamins and do lots of exercise. The results were quick and amazing, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain weight."

madame October 1, 2011

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great for weight gain."

clive345 June 24, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Used this for severely underweight toddler (borderline failure to thrive) to gently bring the weight back on to the growth chart. Managed to bring the weight up from off the chart to 25% (for a 90% height baby)."

Anonymous July 26, 2009