User Reviews for Periactin

Learn more about Periactin.

Periactin review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Anorexia.

Reviews for Periactin to treat Anorexia

Review by maslar01: User Rating:

I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels.

October 3, 2013 2:51 PM
Review by Trixie777: User Rating:

I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2013 10:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy.

July 17, 2012 3:43 PM
Review by Nummie1: User Rating:

On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated.

December 4, 2011 4:57 PM
Review by madame: User Rating:

Periactin (Cyproheptadine) is amazing for weight gain! I gained so much weight and I looked amazing, however there were three side effects 1) I slept like a bear, I was always tired 2) I had really bad mood swings, and I was like a zombie 3) dry nose bleeds. However I reduced the dosage from 2 tables (one in the morning, one at night) to one a day and I felt much better. I recommend you take multi-vitamins and do lots of exercise. The results were quick and amazing, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain weight.

October 1, 2011 6:46 PM
Review by clive345: User Rating:

Great for weight gain.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2010 4:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Used this for severely underweight toddler (borderline failure to thrive) to gently bring the weight back on to the growth chart. Managed to bring the weight up from off the chart to 25% (for a 90% height baby).

July 26, 2009 2:47 PM