User Reviews for Periactin

Learn more about Periactin.

Hay Fever 1 reviews 860 medications

Failure to Thrive 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Periactin reviews 24 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Periactin

Review by Birddog44: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 11:46 AM
Review by Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 7:43 PM
Review by rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.

December 29, 2013 10:30 AM
Review by maslar01: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels.

October 3, 2013 2:51 PM
Review by Liza_S: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2013 2:23 AM
Review by Codysydney (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 30, 2013 7:07 AM
Review by Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2013 4:46 PM
Review by Trixie777: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2013 10:54 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 28, 2012 11:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy.

July 17, 2012 3:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.

June 16, 2012 3:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache.

April 9, 2012 11:16 AM
Review by Nummie1: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated.

December 4, 2011 4:57 PM
Review by Nummie1: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: Started this medicine 2 days ago. Slept for 14 hours straight. Hunger just kicked in and I ate a huge sandwich and drink and I'm still hungry. Changed dose to 1/2 of 4 mgs and got up this morning normally. I intend to build up slowly because of the sleepiness side effects. I intend to stay on this due to my fast metabolism and stress to get back to normal. I think it is working!

November 20, 2011 5:58 PM
Review by madame: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: Periactin (Cyproheptadine) is amazing for weight gain! I gained so much weight and I looked amazing, however there were three side effects 1) I slept like a bear, I was always tired 2) I had really bad mood swings, and I was like a zombie 3) dry nose bleeds. However I reduced the dosage from 2 tables (one in the morning, one at night) to one a day and I felt much better. I recommend you take multi-vitamins and do lots of exercise. The results were quick and amazing, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain weight.

October 1, 2011 6:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was prescribed Periactin to help contain severe migraines and have found it very effective. After taking two tablets a day for a week, I thought that maybe my migraines had been cured and stopped taking them- unfortunately, my headache came back within about 1 and a half days. I am now taking regular doses again and have not had a single headache to complain of, however the increased appetite is an unfortunate side effect.

October 24, 2010 8:07 AM
Review by clive345: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: Great for weight gain.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2010 4:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Periactin helps control my migraines which are almost daily. I would probably do better if I were able to remember to take it 4 times a day instead of morning and evening.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2009 9:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: I was prescribed this medication for help with my migraines which seem to be caused by histamines from allergies. It is an antihistamine and antidepressant which is also helpful.

November 14, 2009 9:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: I used Periactin for approximately 6 months to relieve an allergic reaction and it worked extremely well. It did make me drowsy though, therefore I halved the dose I was recommended.

October 11, 2009 11:31 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: This medication has virtually eliminated my 12 year old son's (almost daily) migraine headaches. He has had no significant side effects and it has greatly increased his quality of life and ability to succeed in school.

September 18, 2009 5:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: Used this for severely underweight toddler (borderline failure to thrive) to gently bring the weight back on to the growth chart. Managed to bring the weight up from off the chart to 25% (for a 90% height baby).

July 26, 2009 2:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Cluster Headaches: This drug great for cluster headaches. I have spoken with over 150 cluster headache suffers. I took one tablet each night for the first week and it has ended the cycle of headaches. The first night after taking one you will still have a headache, but it will last about one half hour or so. On the second night according to the people I have spoken with, 145 out of the 150 had the cycle of headaches ended. The remaining 5 on the 3rd and 4th day. Keep in mind you must take this medicine up to 2 months to make sure the cycle is contained. The only way to know is to judge how you feel. Your doctor cannot do this for you. I have been having these headaches for 18 years. PLEASE TRY.

January 5, 2009 11:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Hay Fever: I have seasonal allergy since the age of 11, and have tried everthing on the market. Only Periactin has helped.

September 14, 2008 2:47 AM

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).