User Reviews for Periactin

Learn more about Periactin.

Allergic Rhinitis 1 reviews 810 medications

8.3
Urticaria 2 reviews 183 medications

Summary of Periactin reviews 38 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Periactin

For Anorexia "On periactin (cyproheptadine) pills 3X pr day since 11/22/15 since then I have gained 22 pounds as of 12/13/15. These pills work wonders for people with poor appetite and eating habit. Being small most of my life I never thought it was possible for me to get over 110 pounds but these pills had me eating whole cakes in one day lol I'm so serious I eat two big macs instead of one with extra mac sauce lol, just everything and a lot of it. I'm lovin the way this 132 looks on me at 5t 3in..."

TIffi3 December 14, 2015

For Anorexia "Was very under weight for my age. Started taking these to help with it and be healthier. I was 102 and I went to 158 in about 2 months. It's been almost a year and I chose to lose some of the weight and I'm down 8 lbs but weight still here. I have a lot of curves now. Side effects is sleepiness but I started cutting my pills in half and that helped a lot. I would take half a pill every 2 hours taking 2 pills a day and then cut back to one whole a day after weight started coming on fast."

Khantrell October 16, 2015

For Anorexia "Asked my doc for prescription 5 weeks ago. I was shocked when I weighed myself. First month I gained 16 pounds. I had two kids both one year apart. Started losing weight like crazy. Too busy to eat. Well, it keeps you hungry. However, if you go out and buy protein bars and the weight gain shakes, they help fill you up. Ensure is good too. Also on depot so not sure which one makes me crave sweets. I'm suppose to be 150 I'm solid about 5'8. Went down to 118 within weeks. Perfect health just no appetite. The shakes are easy to make and buy some already cooked meals and lots of snacks. I thought my stomach was going to eat itself. I do recommend taking an allergy pill with drowsy affects at bedtime a week before you start. 140 last check"

JustNeededHelp October 4, 2015

For Migraine "Cluster migraines made my life a misery. New doctor, new approach, and with Periactin of 5 x 4mg at night has changed my life. Yes, be careful with the weight gain, and the sleepiness abated after two weeks. Some strange dreams as well."

scullyuma September 27, 2015

For Anorexia "I am 5'8 and when I started taking those pills cyproheptadine (periactin) I was 115. My Dr gave me the prescription on a Monday and told me to take then and come back on the following Monday. I took 1 each day for that week and when I went back to my Dr I weighed 130. He said that this was impossible. He thought that scale had broken lol. I was extremely excited. I would most definitely 100% recommend it"

loving me September 5, 2015

For Anorexia "I have been using this 4 yrs now and I would reccomend it to anyone wanting to gain weight however it makes u feel very sleepy and hungry but if u are going for that smoking hot bot u need to excercise so u would only gain weight in necessary areas"

Trini gyal July 29, 2015

For Migraine "My teenage daughter suffered with debilitating migraines that became daily over a 1 year period. She was finally diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation. She tried Topamax for almost a year & Elevil for a month, along with Rizatriptan & Ketaprofen. NOTHING helped until Periactin. She was practically a part of our couch and kept our living room like a dungeon. She cried on a daily basis and could barely go to school. Now she is a normal teen and can even play sports! She rarely gets a headache and it goes away with rest. This is 2 months of 2 pills a day (the lowest dose). She does have a greater appetite, but I have her drink more water and limit her food intake. She stays on a schedule taking her doses, one with breakfast and one by 9 p.m."

Happy Mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

For Anorexia "I've always been very thin, and I disliked the way I looked in the mirror for years. Then 3 years ago my mom introduced me to this medicine, it worked wonders for my body. It stimulated my appetite, mad me sleepy which was good since I had problems sleeping and this medicine changed the way I looked. I was curvy and attractive, I took one pill every day or sometimes every other day and I moved from a size 0 to a beautiful size 6 and I was very happy with myself. The sad thing is I'm in China for one year doing my postgraduate degree and the stresses of being here have pulled my weight down to 8kgs less to where it was when I first came here. "

Melisa7 January 25, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anorexia "I have been looking for a long time a pill that would help me gain weight. Its not like was unhappy with the way I look but just wanted to add some curves. My daughter has been taking the pill and she was a lot smaller than me and she is looking great now. It does make you a little sleep at first but your body will start to get adjusted to it. I highly recommend this pill for weight gain. I just love and one pill a day will do the trick!"

fabulous40 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2014

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anorexia "This medicine is exceptional! I see many people saying they gained 1-5 lbs, I took it faithfully, three times a day and would you believe I moved up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 and put on about 22 lbs within only 4 wks. I stopped for about 2 wks, lost about 6 lbs(mainly stress) but I'm back on them and sleeping a little more, but it only took about 2-3 wks for my body to get used to them. If you wish to gain weight try this! You will cry tears of joy I was struggling with weight gain for about 5 yrs!"

Cece985 June 29, 2014

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anorexia "All my life I have struggled to gain or maintain my weight. There are periods when I have no appetite. Can go for days and not eat and not get hungry. This medication has been a God send. At first the drowsiness was almost debilitating. After reaching my desired weight, I found that dropping the dose to 1/4 tablet per day kept it on but without the side effects. My son suffers from the same thing and he is now on it too. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to gain weight."

JoJay June 29, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Urticaria "I've been on Periactin for about 6 months. I take 8mg at night but I can't get up on time in the morning and the kids are late for school most days. I have found it works for my chronic urticaria but also noticed a huge weight gain. I was watching myself get fatter but didn't know why. After reading all the other reviews I now know it is the Periactin so I'm thinking of cutting back on the tablets. I need to lose weight. I feel horrible."

Shazree June 20, 2014

For Anorexia "I have struggled keeping on weight all my life I used to buy it in my country it work like wonders. Since moving to the UK I was unable to find it. Last week I found it in a pharmacy I have stocked up on it like I am preparing for world war three."

Hilly Billy June 19, 2014

For Urticaria "While taking this stuff, I began to have an insatiable appetite. My mouth is almost always dry and my ears will have a screeching noise. It puts me to sleep within 20 minutes and is hard to shake off in the mornings, much worse than Benadryl. It is playing an effective role in controlling the chronic hives I have had for close to a year. Although I don't enjoy any of the side effects, I Do thoroughly enjoy not having hives all the time! I have a much better quality of life since I've began this new prescription!"

Hivemaster (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2014

For Migraine "My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight."

Birddog44 April 16, 2014

For Migraine "My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career."

Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2014

For Migraine "My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle."

rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2013

For Anorexia "I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels. "

maslar01 October 3, 2013

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine "I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back."

Liza_S July 26, 2013

For Allergic Reactions "Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine."

Codysydney (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2013

For Migraine "Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness."

Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2013

For Anorexia "I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite."

Trixie777 January 8, 2013

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine "I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2012

For Anorexia "I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy."

Anonymous July 17, 2012

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine "Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2012