User Reviews for Periactin

Learn more about Periactin.

Hay Fever 1 reviews 869 medications

Failure to Thrive 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Periactin reviews 30 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Periactin

Review by fabulous40 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anorexia: I have been looking for a long time a pill that would help me gain weight. Its not like was unhappy with the way I look but just wanted to add some curves. My daughter has been taking the pill and she was a lot smaller than me and she is looking great now. It does make you a little sleep at first but your body will start to get adjusted to it. I highly recommend this pill for weight gain. I just love and one pill a day will do the trick!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Cece985:

For Anorexia: This medicine is exceptional! I see many people saying they gained 1-5 lbs, I took it faithfully, three times a day and would you believe I moved up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 and put on about 22 lbs within only 4 wks. I stopped for about 2 wks, lost about 6 lbs(mainly stress) but I'm back on them and sleeping a little more, but it only took about 2-3 wks for my body to get used to them. If you wish to gain weight try this! You will cry tears of joy I was struggling with weight gain for about 5 yrs!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by JoJay:

For Anorexia: All my life I have struggled to gain or maintain my weight. There are periods when I have no appetite. Can go for days and not eat and not get hungry. This medication has been a God send. At first the drowsiness was almost debilitating. After reaching my desired weight, I found that dropping the dose to 1/4 tablet per day kept it on but without the side effects. My son suffers from the same thing and he is now on it too. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to gain weight.

June 29, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Shazree:

For Urticaria: I've been on Periactin for about 6 months. I take 8mg at night but I can't get up on time in the morning and the kids are late for school most days. I have found it works for my chronic urticaria but also noticed a huge weight gain. I was watching myself get fatter but didn't know why. After reading all the other reviews I now know it is the Periactin so I'm thinking of cutting back on the tablets. I need to lose weight. I feel horrible.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Hilly Billy:

For Anorexia: I have struggled keeping on weight all my life I used to buy it in my country it work like wonders. Since moving to the UK I was unable to find it. Last week I found it in a pharmacy I have stocked up on it like I am preparing for world war three.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by Hivemaster (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urticaria: While taking this stuff, I began to have an insatiable appetite. My mouth is almost always dry and my ears will have a screeching noise. It puts me to sleep within 20 minutes and is hard to shake off in the mornings, much worse than Benadryl. It is playing an effective role in controlling the chronic hives I have had for close to a year. Although I don't enjoy any of the side effects, I Do thoroughly enjoy not having hives all the time! I have a much better quality of life since I've began this new prescription!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 10:54 PM

Review by Birddog44:

For Migraine: My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.

April 16, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine: My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.

December 29, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by maslar01:

For Anorexia: I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels.

October 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Review by Liza_S:

For Migraine: I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.

July 26, 2013 2:23 AM

Review by Codysydney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Allergic Reactions: Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2013 7:07 AM

Review by Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine: Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.

March 22, 2013 4:46 PM

Review by Trixie777:

For Anorexia: I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2013 10:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 11:30 PM

For Anorexia: I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2012 3:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.

June 16, 2012 3:00 AM

For Migraine: I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache.

April 9, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Nummie1:

For Anorexia: On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated.

December 4, 2011 4:57 PM

Review by Nummie1:

For Allergic Reactions: Started this medicine 2 days ago. Slept for 14 hours straight. Hunger just kicked in and I ate a huge sandwich and drink and I'm still hungry. Changed dose to 1/2 of 4 mgs and got up this morning normally. I intend to build up slowly because of the sleepiness side effects. I intend to stay on this due to my fast metabolism and stress to get back to normal. I think it is working!

November 20, 2011 5:58 PM

Review by madame:

For Anorexia: Periactin (Cyproheptadine) is amazing for weight gain! I gained so much weight and I looked amazing, however there were three side effects 1) I slept like a bear, I was always tired 2) I had really bad mood swings, and I was like a zombie 3) dry nose bleeds. However I reduced the dosage from 2 tables (one in the morning, one at night) to one a day and I felt much better. I recommend you take multi-vitamins and do lots of exercise. The results were quick and amazing, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain weight.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2011 6:46 PM

For Migraine: I was prescribed Periactin to help contain severe migraines and have found it very effective. After taking two tablets a day for a week, I thought that maybe my migraines had been cured and stopped taking them- unfortunately, my headache came back within about 1 and a half days. I am now taking regular doses again and have not had a single headache to complain of, however the increased appetite is an unfortunate side effect.

October 24, 2010 8:07 AM

Review by clive345:

For Anorexia: Great for weight gain.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2010 4:51 AM

For Migraine: Periactin helps control my migraines which are almost daily. I would probably do better if I were able to remember to take it 4 times a day instead of morning and evening.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2009 9:38 PM

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: I was prescribed this medication for help with my migraines which seem to be caused by histamines from allergies. It is an antihistamine and antidepressant which is also helpful.

November 14, 2009 9:09 PM