User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Minime1234: User Rating:

citalopram: I'm 19 years old, I've suffered from depression, stress, bulimia and anxiety for several years. My background is Chinese, therefore my parents are very judgmental (not all Chinese parents are) but they don't really believe in such kind of illness and they will lose face if any of their friends knew what was wrong with me, one day I couldn't bare it so I went to the doc, she gave me citalopram 10mg. This is my second day, I've experience dizziness and diarrhea but apart from that I feel like I've been more happy and positive.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2014 4:51 PM
Review by gourmetv0mit: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 3:28 PM
Review by JennayJellybeans: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 12:09 AM
Review by Sleepymama: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): Day 2 of Celexa for anxiety. Ended up with headache, panic, dizziness, racing heart and thoughts. My typical anxiety wasn't even as bad as that. Day 1 seemed okay, but after day 2 I'm not happy with it. No more for me thanks!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 2:18 AM
Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram: Started Celexa January 2 at 10 mg then went up to 20 mg February 2011. So far so good. The 10 mg was working ok but the 20mg works great. Wish I would have started this treatment years ago. It works great. I'm a lot more calm and no panic attacks.

March 24, 2014 2:54 PM
Review by Lexir (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

citalopram: I was prescribed Celexa for my severe anxiety and depression. I was very doubtful of it because my main problem was my anxiety and I was told this was an antidepressant, but I decided to give it a try. I read about every review on this site, and I was scared to death since everyone got side effects. I even cried before I took it. I've been on it for a few days now. From day 1, no side effects. My anxiety has also slightly decreased already. I find that I am able to realize I'm feeling anxious and simply think "I don't care" and it instantly goes away. Please don't be scared off by the side effects. I have finally found relief in my life and can't wait for the next few weeks when it works even better.

March 16, 2014 5:36 PM
Review by CKay1104: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): Best anti-anxiety medication for me. At 20mg it perfectly takes the edge off & allows me to focus with clarity at work & at home. I have been on Celexa for 10 years, tried Wellbutrin once thinking it might help with weight loss but it made me feel crazy & irritable, I did not like it at all. My daughter has similar issues as I do & Celexa did not work for her, she's going to try Prozac now. I think it's important to realize that everybody is different as is their chemical make up & what might work great for one may not for another.

March 13, 2014 11:13 PM
Review by T02S: User Rating:

citalopram: I have been on Celexa for depression for thirteen years total, six the first time, two years medicine free, and then seven years up until recently. It had worked wonderfully until fall of this past year. I suddenly had nervousness and anxiety not experienced before while on Celexa. I told my doctor and he switched me to Trazodone. I miss that Celexa was once a day treatment, while I have to take Trazodone multiple times per day because it wears off. Sad that Celexa started causing anxiety after so many good years on it. Be watchful, because some MD's do not acknowledge anxiety as a possible side effect of Celexa.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 12, 2014 8:45 PM
Review by Laman96 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram: Celexa changed my life!! I went from being constantly worried/ anxious to feeling calm and capable all the time! Even my coworkers noticed how much better I handled stress and how relaxed I seemed. At first I did experience side effects such as stomach upset, difficulty achieving orgasm and sleep troubles but all of these ceased over the first month. The only side effect I still have is I am slightly more somnolent during the day, but it is well worth it for the positive effects. I didn't gain weight either! I wish I had gone on this med years ago.

March 11, 2014 11:00 PM
Review by missyd78: User Rating:

citalopram: The doctor had too take me off it because I was starting to itch badly. I was on 10 mg.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 5, 2014 11:33 AM
Review by Mark S. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

citalopram: I'm a 27 year old male and I take this for anxiety & depression. I went into a deep anxiety attack where my mind went into a dark state of mind and I couldn't seem to get out of it for about a week until the medicine kicked in but it was so worth it! I feel at ease now and I'm not overly worried about every little thing anymore. The pros far out weight the cons, but here's the side effects that I experienced during the first week: nausea, insomnia, no appetite hardly and more anxiety. Thankfully about the 5th day into taking it, I felt like me again! I had this sense of joy and happiness that made me feel great. Some males say they had a sexual side effect where they couldn't "climax", but I didn't have that problem one bit. Saved my life.

February 23, 2014 1:59 PM
Review by Cait69266: User Rating:

citalopram: My first time using citalopram I was on 10mg a day. My first couple days was difficult. Nausea, dizziness, terrible migraines. I had to excuse myself from work for a couple days til I adjusted. My moods did improve, and I took the meds for 6 months. I stopped taking them because I hated relying on meds for my emotional control, and the sexual dysfunction that accompanied it made me more anxious and it put rifts in my relationship. I was off meds for about 7 months, and since that time I've gone through some traumatic experiences that have made it hard to stay in control. So I'm now 4 days into my second try on the meds. I've started at 20mg this time around. 2 days of side effects. We will see how this one goes.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2014 2:42 PM
Review by despair: User Rating:

citalopram: I started taking this a couple of years ago during the end of a very stressful relationship. I started with 10 mg and eventually went up to the 20mg. This higher dose made me jittery and nervous. I couldn't concentrate or focus. I went back to the 10mg and stayed there. I feel happy and at ease. I laugh and little things don't make me have panic attacks. I have tried a couple of times to stop using this and within a few weeks the smallest things make me want to give up and send me into a few day depression. I would like to stop taking it and be my normal self. I love that I feel great on it but want to learn to feel this way without it as well.

February 17, 2014 10:59 AM
Review by Caranney64: User Rating:

citalopram: Should have been on this 20 yrs ago, no more anxiety and suffocating panic attacks. I sleep like a log, am happy and incredibly patient with everyone around me. Every little noise doesn't bother me anymore, I see the humour more easily in all situations. Like I tell my brothers, you don't have to live feeling all wound up like an elastic band ready to snap.

February 14, 2014 2:37 PM
Review by M1tch: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): I took 10 mg for a couple of months and started 20 mg two weeks ago

February 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Review by amdam22 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): Im a 20 year old female, been on Celexa for about 4 days now. I was pretty skeptical reading all the reviews and some negative ones really scared me, but I decided to take it anyway. So far I am liking the medicine. Little side effects such as a mild headache that seems to come about 5 min. after I take the pill, drowsiness (which is why I take it at night) and a tiny but of nausea. Nothing to major like I thought. Oh! and also no panic attacks, which is one of the main reasons I started taking this. Celexa has given me a sort of "calm, relaxed" feel. But I also feel more uplifted. I'm not sure the right word. I'm not energetic but I feel energized, which is great. I would recommend trying this if you suffer from frequent panic and worry.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 11:09 PM
Review by A may may (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

citalopram: I was going through very intense life issues that caused major anxiety and depression. I went on citalopram and it worked well for a while. Eventually I was taking 40mg until that starting making me angry and manic. So I lowered to 20mg. Things have been going so well lately that I finally feel I am ready to get off ad. I cut my dose to 10mg and honestly felt amazing! So happy. So alive. So energetic. I stayed at 10mg for 2 weeks then cut it to 5 mgs. At first I was ok. But its been 11 days since I cut to 5mg and I honestly have been having a terrible time. Incredible amounts of anxiety, jittery, extremely agitated at the smallest things. I am trying to stay at 5mg and just push through it.

February 7, 2014 10:26 AM
Review by Eleni217: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): Been on Celexa for three months. It took a couple weeks to adjust to mild side effects such as heartburn and a general feeling that I'm full or not hungry. However, I no longer have those side effects and I feel great now! I have social anxiety and for the first time in years I feel happy and more confident in social situations. I feel normal and have nearly no negative thoughts any longer.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 5, 2014 4:43 PM
Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): Been on Celexa now for a month at 10mg daily. So far so good. I feel a lot better and a lot more relaxed and calm. No panic attacks or anything like that. It's been great. Going to doctor in a couple weeks for follow up appointment. Going to see if I can start on 20mg. I feel that will even work better.

January 30, 2014 12:54 PM
Review by Mimi_h (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): I was optimistic when starting this medication for uncontrollable anxiety. I have previously tried Lexapro and Zoloft with success and haven't needed any medication for several years. I had a horrible experience with Celexa even at only 10mg. After my first dose I immediately felt bad. I dreaded taking it every night due to the body twitching and anxiety producing effects I felt within 45 min of the dose. Eventually I was having anxiety attacks everyday as well as feeling generally anxious all day. I had to discontinue it after 1 week due to the worst panic attack I've ever had. The withdrawal effects were horrendous, too--flu like.

January 20, 2014 6:30 PM
Review by Hanna7775: User Rating:

citalopram: I am on my 2nd day of taking Citalopram. I have felt a little off from the side effects but I also noticed I have more energy and have felt "happier" and more patient (especially with my daughter) I'm only 24 and I am not on any other medication. I have tried to handle my depression and anxiety on my own until it was ultimately consuming my life and happiness. So far this medicine seems to be working- even though I know you are not suppose to notice anything until a couple weeks. I never wanted to be on any type of medication and if you're leery about starting like I was don't be ashamed. Sometimes we can't handle everything on our own and it's okay to admit it and seek help.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 12, 2014 11:43 PM
Review by Bill71 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): First was put on Zoloft. Went off it due to the side effects. Then was put on Celexa. No side effects, and after only a week I feel great. The medicine works.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 9, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by heatherlovespj (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram: Been on this medicine for about 4 weeks. 20 mg with barely any side effects at all. Went to the doctor yesterday and now am on 40 mg and still barely any side effects. I am a different person. Very laid back. I love it. I'm so glad I got on this medicine and I lost 5 pounds in a month.

January 8, 2014 8:54 PM
Review by liveloveetc (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): I have been on this medicine for only 3 weeks and my love addiction, my sex addiction have all but practically disappeared. I don't feel as depressed I feel even, grounded and no longer have the feeling that I am separated from myself. My obsessive thoughts have all but disappeared. I was constantly thinking about my ex who broke up with me 9 months ago. I feel finally that I got my life back. I prefer low libido than constantly thinking that every attractive girl I connect with might be my future girlfriend. Celexa works for me, I have been on and off them for years now but now I am sticking to the program. Be patient people and stick to the program.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 5, 2014 11:52 AM
Review by Mrz. Bo$$y (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram): For the past few years I think I have suffered from anxiety. Couldn't really put my finger on it until thanksgiving day. Everything was fine until it hit me out of no where. I remember feeling like my future was doomed. I couldn't concentrate, I felt like I wasn't myself. I completely lost it. It was like I was losing grasp of every aspect of my life. I cried and thought I was losing my sanity. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced. After seeing 2 doctors the medicines they prescribed either didn't help or maybe my anxiety got the best of me but finally my mom made me go to the ER and they gave me Celexa. The side effects where pretty bad but I stuck it out and I must say that almost 3 weeks in I'm feeling back to myself.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 31, 2013 12:45 AM