User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"18 months ago I was given prozac for depression and anxiety, which made me feel like a zombie, so the doctor changed to citalopram. I looked online and read that it would be very likely that I would feel worse before I feel better. I was given 20mg and felt terrible for about 3 weeks but knew I had to see it through as I had been on the verge of suicide previously. After about a month I suddenly felt like there was hope. This lasted a few weeks but then I felt the depression/ anxiety returning. Over the next couple of months my dosage was put up to 40 mg and this turned out to be the right dose for me.I specifically just waking up one day and feeling different, like my head was just free from worry and I was thinking happy thoughts."

catmagcash May 19, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "this worked in beginning-then gave me insomnia, restless leg syndrome, shakes and more angry. It could no longer take it ,I had to get off."

lisamariemarie May 10, 2016

"My doctor prescribed Citalopram to deal with my anxiety, after nearly 2 weeks of taking them I'm feeling a lot less stressed and calmer with every day life and children (girls 15 & 9). The only down side I've experienced is that I am quite lethargic/sleepy but that maybe down to me being off work and having that chilling out time on my own at home. Citalopram has definitely put me back on track in my own frame of mind."

43hormonalfemale (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

"On day 3 of taking this med. prompted by my Mrs to seek help as mr grumpy was at large. Taken away my anxiety instantly, but is leaving me drowsy with a foggy head, plus sweating a lot more. I'm on 10 mg and shall stick it out as I believe symptoms will ease after a week or so"

Geraint (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "It's very good, I'm on 10mg now. I used to take it couple of years ago, and felt much better, so after 2 years I stopped taking it. Now again I felt very anxious, and after one week on citalopram it's much easier for me to socialize. No more need for hydroxizine or valium. The only one side effect is I can not "finish" if you know what I mean;)"

Scared1957 May 3, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have extremely bad anxiety and it makes me panic daily and depression, Before this drug i have tried so many other ones that did nothing at all! I was giving up hope on finding something that would work for me until my doctor prescribed me this. I started out low at first but im now on 20mg and even when i started low it did wonders, I use to not be able to talk about it without panicking but within a week after taking it i could actually talk about it and think straight. Thinking back before i was on it to where im at now its like a who new world, I defenitely recommend this."

sarah0927712497 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Started 10 mg Citalopram 8 days ago and although they said it would take 2 weeks to really work I started to feel better the first day! Minor nausea the first couple times I took it but it went away quick. This stuff has changed my life. Helped me quit smoking. It's so strange being able to walk around and interact in public without anxiety. Improved my sleep overall however you will probably want to make sure you are active during the day because it takes a little more time to fall asleep. Wonderful Medication, wish I started it much sooner."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I've been on citalopram for about 4 years. I recently went off for about a month and decided to go back on. For me the withdrawal was not bad, what I noticed was a major increase in agitation. I have started back on and remembering the wonderful effects of starting over. Most of the bad effects end after a few days or so, the rest after a month or so. I'm back on day 3 and feel like crap, but I know it's almost over. The main problem with anxiety meds is that you are giving them to people with anxiety. The off feeling turns to worry, which leads to heart palpitations, and pretty soon you are on this site looking at reviews. I would/am going into this with the idea that the drug is totally safe but will make you feel like crap."

Bobbiegfd April 29, 2016

"I had been suffering from depression and anxiety for years, in 2014 was put on to sertraline and felt better for a few months until the symptoms returned. A year later the doctor doubled my dose and things started to calm down again. I've recently been to have a review of my medication and was put on to 10mg citalopram. I can't describe how much this has had a positive effect on my life, from day 3 of taking it my palpitations had gone, the sweats & faint feelings had disappeared. It really is an amazing medication if it works well for you."

Emma1984D (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "To deal with menopausal symptoms: stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, I tried paxil and prozac. Not a good result: both very heavy duty - you FEEL drugged. With prozac I was drooling and I didn't even know it; with paxil, I felt dull-witted and thick, like a beached whale. But the 3rd time was a charm: I tried Celexa and it worked almost immediately. I felt calmer, not depressed and I slept like a baby. For me it's the best. the only side effect is one 1/2 hour after taking it I feel nauseous for a few minutes. small price to pay."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Weight loss, insomnia, nausea, loss of appetite. EXTREMELY irritable. Sweaty palms. NO THANK YOU."

Anonymous April 21, 2016

"Great"

Frozenmonti April 17, 2016

"I've been on citalopram for 4 years now and it's been a lifesaver. When I started at 10 mg I had terrible nausea but I soon went away in a day or two. Now on 40 mg my anxiety has been so incredibly decreased and I'm able to deal with my emotions with positive coping skills"

Anonymous April 16, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "It has saved my sanity and kept me at peace at first I was sick and had a mild headache now I'm eating way too much. I'm terrified if I stop taking this I'm thankful for celexa,"

Julie2467 April 10, 2016

"I started taking citalopram about a month and a half ago. Started with 10 mg now on 20 mg. I did not have severe anxiety, however I did not feel like my old happy, carefree self. I self diagnosed myself with social anxiety and finally talked to my doctor. This medication has definitely helped me. Easier to get out of bed every day, worry less and focus on what makes me happy. Overall I feel a lot better, however it is not black and white. I still have anxiety in stressful situations but my day to day life feels easier."

Anne J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"So everyone severe anxiety/panic episodes since 2011. I take Buspar 2xa day- worked for about a year then took Xanax when needed and stayed on Buspar. Now I take Celexa and what a lifesaver. Everyday was panic, anxiety, hypochondria - horrible - thank you Dr!!!"

Ready for the change (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"I have had feelings of moodiness, irritability, snappiness, and slight depression since my children were born. I cast it aside, for FOUR YEARS, thinking I was just nuts and hormonal. After talking to my OB/Gyn about these issues on multiple visits, she suggested I try celexa. I have been on 10mg for one week. The first two days were the worst: headache, nauseated, and diarrhea. I've also been slightly tired, and have had a bit of insomnia. However, I've caught myself SMILING all of the time. My chest no longer fees tight. I'm enjoying and embracing motherhood, and feel moments of euphoria. I'm hoping my body adjusts accordingly to the medication within the next few months."

PJCH April 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Trust and believe that celexa WAS a godsend for me, 50"

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I have been on celexa for over 15 years, I can tell when I am not taking it. Its not supposed to make everything perfect just better then it was and it doesn't work for everyone. There is no perfect drug but this one had helped me focus much better. also I have not noticed any side effects"

CELEXA (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2016

"I am 46 I have been on cipramil since I was 30 . Much to my husbands disgust . My daughter was 5 yrs old at the time and my second daughter was new borne . After being on it for a month( 20mg once a day) my 5yr old daughter cuddled me and said "I love having you as my Mum now, you aren't so angry any more " This almost broke my heart and I have been on them ever since. I did try to wheen myself off them last year under doctors suggestions . After one month my husband told me to start them again as I was angry again . I am back on them and my family us happy and so am I ."

Jodes69 March 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Awful. Didn't help and made me feel so apathetic. My school performance significantly decresed. I tried weaning off from taking 20 mg, then 10mg daily, then 10mg every other day, then 5mg every other day and had the worst withdrawl symptoms ever. Increased anxiety and depression. I was crying all the time and sometime felt manic. I had more pain and also had a fever of +102.8 for three days. Would not recomend"

anxietyridden1280437 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on celexa for two days now and have had almost no side effects what so ever . I was super hesitant about taking it as both the reviews I read and the doctor who gave it to me told me it would cause bad anxiety for the first week. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my first 20mg dose, as it helped my anxiety almost immediately . I have a bit of nausea and fatigue , along with a bit of dizziness but nothing serious . This is the first time I have gone a day without anxiety in three years, and I know it's not a placebo effect since I initially believed the medication would do the opposite . My sister suffers from depression and after seeing my reaction to the medication is considering seeing a doctor to try it out ."

Mamabearie March 21, 2016

"It is pretty awesome. I was really worried I have never taken anything before for anxiety. The first week was a little up and down I was super nauseous and vomited a couple of times. It has been almost a month and it is now working wonders. I don't get nearly as flustered or overwhelmed. i would recommend first timers to try this."

a14562056 March 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Started on prozac 20mg but went off because of low libido. Doctor had me try Celexa 20mg & it was the worst month of my life. So many side effects! Not only did my libido get worse, but I had frequent urination, depression worsened, sleeping pattern messed up, fatigue, always sweating, and it made my period disappear for 3 months & I wasn't pregnant! After a month I went back to Prozac, I couldn't deal with celexas horrible side effects anymore!"

Sunchild00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on a few antidepressants Prozac, Zoloft. Celexa has turned out to be the best as far as side effects. I've been on it 8 years. Just a precaution after a while it will feel like it doesn't do much, I started to skip forget and found myself in a emotional, irritable, angry, sad mood. I'm back on it makes a huge difference."

KING1999 March 9, 2016