User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Celexa (citalopram): "I woke up.from the absolute craziest dream I've ever had...FREAKING OUT...COULD NOT BREATH, AND THOUGHT I WAS DIEING...I immediately called ppl in my family that have been on antidepressants, and they said just give it time, the side effects will go away...so I continued to take it...today is day 14, I am more nervous and depressed still...I have NO emotion, my head hurts constantly, STILL have no balance...I think my doctor WRONGLY prescribed me something I DIDN'T need, that COMPLETELY ruins with you (when you don't really need it ) I'm severely annoyed...stopping my med tomorrow and flushing the rest of my pills...I'm sooo disgusted"

Lindsay d February 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I've had GAD w severe panic attacks for 16 years. I've been on just about every combo out there. Celexa daily w xanax as needed works for me. 6 yrs ago I was up to 40mg. I was a zombie. No laughing, no crying, emotionless. I told my doc I wanted off completely. I somehow managed for 4 years w only my xanax. Then came a stressful move. Out comes my daily anxiety rearing its ugly head. Went back on just 10mg for 6 mths. Worked great. Now I'm in some seriously stressful times and attacks are daily, debilitating, and exhausting. Went back on 20mg. I try to do everything as naturally as possible, without relying on pills, but I'm not an idiot. Sometimes you just need a bit more. Find the right dose for you and this stuff can work wonders."

KJ12345 February 4, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I started Celexa after trying many other meds for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't begin to say how much I love it. It' truly has given me a life I never knew. I feel so much better and things now roll off instead of driving me insane! Best decision I ever made. Really need to give it a good two months. That's when I really noticed the change."

Tis2016 February 2, 2016

"I took this medication for the best part of a year to treat anxiety and stress and to list a few symptoms of my stress; mood swings, irritability, insomnia, Manic etc.. thus it was having an effect on my relationship. Although I thought at first the medication was working, it in fact encouraged more mood related symptoms to occur more frequently. I didn't realise that it was effecting me the way it was until coming off this medication, which came shortly after a nervous breakdown and the end of a beautiful relationship. Dr's words were; They are renowned for those symptoms!! which is ironic because that is the very reason I sought help in the first place. I just wish I had fully understood the risks, because now everyday I live with regret."

Reg Ret February 2, 2016

"I am now on Day 20 of 20mg Citalopram. I am now feeling a little better. Still anxious at times although most of the side effects are slowly disappearing. Still quite low mood at times and a agoraphobic unfortunately. I visited my GP today and we have agreed that I should carry on for another four weeks. He now says that 7 - 8 weeks is the norm for the medication to totally kick in yet he said 1 - 3 in the beginning! I will keep taking the medication. I have found taking the pill at night has helped me. Also reading the reviews here have given me some hope."

lovetoknit (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "This medication is definitely not for me. I suffer from social anxiety and panic attacks. I took 10 mg daily for 2 weeks. Although while on this medication, I did not have my panic attacks; I still had social anxiety. I was completely emotionless, couldn't stay sleeping, and never had an orgasm; the total zombie affect. It gave me headaches every morning and jaw pain-I guess a withdrawal side effect. I would not recommend to anyone unless you are coming off of some hard drugs. Every addictive! Severe side effects!"

felt drugged February 1, 2016

"Been experiencing very bad anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, etc & my doctor out me 10mg of citalopram. No side effects the first week besides being drowsy & cloudy minded. My doctor just doubled the dose to 20mg & the 3 days on that so far have been awful. I'm really nauseous all day, still having panic attacks & anxiety. I feel unmotivated & lethargic. I'm going to try to take it at night, if the side effect don't ease up I'm going to stop taking this medication."

Katie23 February 1, 2016

"I took one 10mg tablet at 7:30pm, I slept from 9pm-1am and then woke up with extreme nausea, diarrhea, high anxiety, dry mouth and what I think were night sweats and insomnia. I plan to call my Doctor in the morning to see if there is an alternative. I can't imagine feeling that horrible for weeks on end."

Butterfly 36 January 31, 2016

"I am now on Day 14 of 20mg per day and every day has been awful. Total fatigue, diarrhea, shaking body, horrible thoughts, lack of appetite, agoraphobia etc etc. Sometimes around late afternoon into the evening I start to feel a little bit better. I spoke to my doctor on Day 10 and he suggested taking the tablet at night. I haven't managed to do that yet as I felt my body was craving the drug in the morning. I have decided this morning to wait till night to take it. I cannot help but think all of this is not worth it and I will never get any better."

Lovetoknit (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on Celexa since May and was reluctant to start since I had read all sorts of bad reviews on the internet. However, I am so glad I did because it has truly changed my life. I used to stress over everything and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I feel 100% better. Celexa has allowed me to take control of my emotions, to read situations more clearly and to put things in my life into perspective so that I am not in a constant state of anxiety. I did not experience any side-effects. This drug has allowed me to take back the control of my life and has stopped that constant worried voice that was in my head. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the same issues as myself."

Penny243111111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"I was only able to take this medication for about a week, due to a severe allergic reaction I developed. I had horrible, blotchy red hives all over my body, and right after taking them the last day, I also had trouble breathing. Even before I developed the rash, however, I knew something was off. I had terrible insomnia; hardly slept the whole week, not to mention, I felt like I was numb, as if I had thrown a veil over my emotions. It was a little unsettling. I wasn't anxious in the least, but I wasn't particularly happy either. I didn't feel anything. My house could have burned down, and I wouldn't have cared."

Anonymous January 22, 2016

"Been on citalopram for 2 years, to those of you just starting keep going it takes about 1 month and all the side affects go away. Try taking it after food (my doctor suggested this to start with) in the beginning it does limit the sickness feeling. The positive affects are great I feel a different person, my wife thinks I am a different person !!! So stick with it its only a few weeks of feeling rotten but the plus so out ways the cons"

wales850 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I used celexa to treat my severe stress triggered anxiety and panic attacks. It was limiting my life to the point I thought I'd have to quit my job. I'd never been on anti anxiety drugs but started on 10mg which is very low. Did not see effects immediately. Things started feeling 'different' before they felt better. My personal side effects were fatigue, restless tossing and turning at night (normally I'm out like a log), night sweats, and weirdly sweaty hands. All of this was WAY better than having anxiety though so I'm not complaining! It relieved some anxiety but didn't really pick up my mood. I'm sensitive to medication and underweight so this might be a unusual experience. I'm switching to Paxil to see if I get better results."

Carolyn,23,F (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"I am on Day 3 of 20mg Citalopram after a period of extreme anxiety and stress. This is the worst day so far. Exhausted. Headache. Diarrhea. Nauseous. No appetite. Shaking body. No concentration. Just feel awful. I read from other reviewers that this will pass and to stick with this drug but I am having difficulty believing that it will. My Doctor did say it would get worse before it got any better."

Lovetoknit (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

"I've had very debilitating anxiety for years. Heart palpitations, migraines, tunnel vision, you name it! Always been very cautious when it comes to medicine. After a very bad attack that left me in the ER my doctor said it was time to try something. I wish I knew now what I knew then before taking this. It was soon to be the worst anxiety trip of my LIFE! just an hour after taking this drug I was hardly able to get off my couch! Unbearable nausea, Migraine, chills, very lethargic, and my pulse was very rapid and irregular, AND insomnia! I have two small children to take care of and I was terrified just trying to get through the day! This needs to be taken off the market!"

cheyanna (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I have only been on citalopram for 10 days and have never felt so ill. All my symptoms have heightened until I was really scared. Have read comments on here and am feeling much more confident that if I preserve I will come out other end much better. Many thanks people x"

Thanks for comments citalopram January 3, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have a previous traumatic stroke 5 years ago. I have been maintained with blood thinners and 1mg ativan. Recently last month my anxiety and panic attacks are at all time high. They are daily and debilitating.. I fear of dying but have had numerous ER trips and Dr visits that always come back very healthy.. I have only been on celexa for 3 days. Are anyone out there with similar background and positive experiences with this drug. Thanks"

Btoostressed December 31, 2015

"I have been citalopram for over a year from a recent breakdown. I have been on in the past for PND and it works for me. I have dropped my dose to 5mg every second to third day, but with Christmas coming up I increased my dose to 5mg a day, but I forgot about the side effects as my anixety is 100% I know it will pass but it's hard to keep the self talk going."

Taylren42 December 28, 2015

"I started taking citalopram for a number of reasons but ultimately all connected to life long anxiety. Initially I was on 10 mg once per day. I found this resulted in ups and downs. I tried taking 10 mg morning and evening. 20 mg in total. This has really helped to balance things out. I still get drowsy but this is compensated by coffee! I think that I will need to be on citalopram for life as my anxiety is life long and I am unable to control it without medication.... I. E. All the negative thoughts etc are real to me. I find I can now and can live a fairly full and normal life. Even drink alcohol. I know that if I do stop taking citalopram, things will return back to the way they were."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2015

"Citalopram works exceptionally well long term BUT please be aware of the side affects for the 1st month or two. After suffering crippling panic attacks due to stomach problems I was prescribed 20mg Citalopram daily. For the next 6 weeks my anxiety and panic got far worse which has been the worst experience of my life by far. Found myself at the doctors surgery or a hospital everyday trying to get some help, even begging to be admitted to a mental hospital. Finally I was given some diazepam, this did help short term which then allowed the Citalopram to kick in. After 3/4 months I felt myself feeling better by the day. Doctors though do not tell you that you that when you start taking Citalopram your symptoms magnify for a time so be aware"

Mksm1234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "I take celexa 40 mg per day. I am taking it to help with PTSD, from when someone tried to kill me a few years ago. I also have extreme anxiety about small spaces, flying in an airplane and heights. I also have occasional panic attacks. Celexa has worked wonders for the constant anxiety and sadness I was feeling. Celexa has made me feel calm in situations where I would have previously panicked. I feel like my old self most days of the week. I would recommend this medication to anyone with anxiety about certain situations and fears."

Lisa 221122 December 24, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "Hi there can somebody please help me as I've been on citalopram 20mg for 16 days now do feel a little bit better but not there yet. I want to be my self again as I've got no control over my mind feels like I'm going crazy can some body please let me know"

Goodace (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"Hi can any body help I'm taking 20mg citalopram a day I've. Been on them for 16 days I'm feeling a bit better but still feeling strange and still. I can't enjoy things like I use to can some body tell me please this was all down to smoking weed. Please keep weed as it wrecks lives."

Goodace December 23, 2015

"I started taking this drug because of the stressful traumatic experiences I had. Immediately, from the very first hour after I took it, I noticed a difference. It is an excellent mediciation. It made me forget about my bad memories, it made me more confidant, less anxious in almost all situations, less fearful, more focused. And I was taking its lowest dose. I did built a tolerance to it after 6 months, and I stopped taking it. I didn't want to stay on it forever, but I still feel as if I am taking, I still feel the effects the drug has had on me. Negative side effects: I did have a few awkward outbursts on it, and when I first started taking it, it took my body sometime to adjust to the strength of the medication."

Anonymous December 19, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "Celexa has alot of ingredients that you do not need. Lexapro is cleaner more potent form of celexa. Celexa is not ment for anxiety. I am seeing alot of placebo effects on here. I swear alot of these comments are from the celexa company"

Jay de December 14, 2015