User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I had been suffering from depression and anxiety for years, in 2014 was put on to sertraline and felt better for a few months until the symptoms returned. A year later the doctor doubled my dose and things started to calm down again. I've recently been to have a review of my medication and was put on to 10mg citalopram. I can't describe how much this has had a positive effect on my life, from day 3 of taking it my palpitations had gone, the sweats & faint feelings had disappeared. It really is an amazing medication if it works well for you."

Emma1984D (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "To deal with menopausal symptoms: stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, I tried paxil and prozac. Not a good result: both very heavy duty - you FEEL drugged. With prozac I was drooling and I didn't even know it; with paxil, I felt dull-witted and thick, like a beached whale. But the 3rd time was a charm: I tried Celexa and it worked almost immediately. I felt calmer, not depressed and I slept like a baby. For me it's the best. the only side effect is one 1/2 hour after taking it I feel nauseous for a few minutes. small price to pay."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Weight loss, insomnia, nausea, loss of appetite. EXTREMELY irritable. Sweaty palms. NO THANK YOU."

Anonymous April 21, 2016

"Great"

Frozenmonti April 17, 2016

"I've been on citalopram for 4 years now and it's been a lifesaver. When I started at 10 mg I had terrible nausea but I soon went away in a day or two. Now on 40 mg my anxiety has been so incredibly decreased and I'm able to deal with my emotions with positive coping skills"

Anonymous April 16, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "It has saved my sanity and kept me at peace at first I was sick and had a mild headache now I'm eating way too much. I'm terrified if I stop taking this I'm thankful for celexa,"

Julie2467 April 10, 2016

"I started taking citalopram about a month and a half ago. Started with 10 mg now on 20 mg. I did not have severe anxiety, however I did not feel like my old happy, carefree self. I self diagnosed myself with social anxiety and finally talked to my doctor. This medication has definitely helped me. Easier to get out of bed every day, worry less and focus on what makes me happy. Overall I feel a lot better, however it is not black and white. I still have anxiety in stressful situations but my day to day life feels easier."

Anne J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"So everyone severe anxiety/panic episodes since 2011. I take Buspar 2xa day- worked for about a year then took Xanax when needed and stayed on Buspar. Now I take Celexa and what a lifesaver. Everyday was panic, anxiety, hypochondria - horrible - thank you Dr!!!"

Ready for the change (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

"I have had feelings of moodiness, irritability, snappiness, and slight depression since my children were born. I cast it aside, for FOUR YEARS, thinking I was just nuts and hormonal. After talking to my OB/Gyn about these issues on multiple visits, she suggested I try celexa. I have been on 10mg for one week. The first two days were the worst: headache, nauseated, and diarrhea. I've also been slightly tired, and have had a bit of insomnia. However, I've caught myself SMILING all of the time. My chest no longer fees tight. I'm enjoying and embracing motherhood, and feel moments of euphoria. I'm hoping my body adjusts accordingly to the medication within the next few months."

PJCH April 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Trust and believe that celexa WAS a godsend for me, 50"

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I have been on celexa for over 15 years, I can tell when I am not taking it. Its not supposed to make everything perfect just better then it was and it doesn't work for everyone. There is no perfect drug but this one had helped me focus much better. also I have not noticed any side effects"

CELEXA (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2016

"I am 46 I have been on cipramil since I was 30 . Much to my husbands disgust . My daughter was 5 yrs old at the time and my second daughter was new borne . After being on it for a month( 20mg once a day) my 5yr old daughter cuddled me and said "I love having you as my Mum now, you aren't so angry any more " This almost broke my heart and I have been on them ever since. I did try to wheen myself off them last year under doctors suggestions . After one month my husband told me to start them again as I was angry again . I am back on them and my family us happy and so am I ."

Jodes69 March 26, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Awful. Didn't help and made me feel so apathetic. My school performance significantly decresed. I tried weaning off from taking 20 mg, then 10mg daily, then 10mg every other day, then 5mg every other day and had the worst withdrawl symptoms ever. Increased anxiety and depression. I was crying all the time and sometime felt manic. I had more pain and also had a fever of +102.8 for three days. Would not recomend"

anxietyridden1280437 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on celexa for two days now and have had almost no side effects what so ever . I was super hesitant about taking it as both the reviews I read and the doctor who gave it to me told me it would cause bad anxiety for the first week. I was pleasantly surprised when I took my first 20mg dose, as it helped my anxiety almost immediately . I have a bit of nausea and fatigue , along with a bit of dizziness but nothing serious . This is the first time I have gone a day without anxiety in three years, and I know it's not a placebo effect since I initially believed the medication would do the opposite . My sister suffers from depression and after seeing my reaction to the medication is considering seeing a doctor to try it out ."

Mamabearie March 21, 2016

"It is pretty awesome. I was really worried I have never taken anything before for anxiety. The first week was a little up and down I was super nauseous and vomited a couple of times. It has been almost a month and it is now working wonders. I don't get nearly as flustered or overwhelmed. i would recommend first timers to try this."

a14562056 March 18, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Started on prozac 20mg but went off because of low libido. Doctor had me try Celexa 20mg & it was the worst month of my life. So many side effects! Not only did my libido get worse, but I had frequent urination, depression worsened, sleeping pattern messed up, fatigue, always sweating, and it made my period disappear for 3 months & I wasn't pregnant! After a month I went back to Prozac, I couldn't deal with celexas horrible side effects anymore!"

Sunchild00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on a few antidepressants Prozac, Zoloft. Celexa has turned out to be the best as far as side effects. I've been on it 8 years. Just a precaution after a while it will feel like it doesn't do much, I started to skip forget and found myself in a emotional, irritable, angry, sad mood. I'm back on it makes a huge difference."

KING1999 March 9, 2016

"I've been on celxia 3 days now and am enjoying them. I have high amounts of stress in my life and when I say high. My husband is fighting cancer and going through chemotherapy. Also we have four boys, two of are teens. My husband and I still own our own businesses, and three dogs. Two days after starting these meds, one of our dogs got very sick and died quickly. With my husband and my boys, father battling cancer, this could have been much more stressful, but these meds allow me to have feelings and Control them. I can focus on life again, instead of constantly feel anxiety and stress. I'm 110 lbs and taking 10mg for five days then will be 20mg thereafter. I may be over medicated but I needed a break, and it's helping tremendously"

Stressed life (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on Celexa for almost 2 years & has completely changed my life for the better. I take 40mg once a day. I suffer from severe anxiety, & mild depression. Celexa is my happy pill. My savior. It's the best pill I have ever been on. I am anxiety & depression free all from Celexa. Never once had one side effect. I am full of energy all the time and am happy beyond happy. It took about a good 2 months for the medication to start doing its job. WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I thank my doctor all the time for introducing me to the wonder drug CELEXA. Give it some time to kick in & you'll thank me later. Lol good luck to all."

Anonymous March 5, 2016

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just finished my first month of citalopram and I have to say I have never felt better. My agitation and anger has gone down significantly as has my anxiety. I feel as if I can let things go easier now. Through starting citalopram I realized that I had dysthymia because I didn't understand that people didn't feel the way I did on a daily basis until I started the medication and felt my mood improve significantly.Only side effects I had was drowsiness and constipation which was improved by drinking more water. Overall, I am so happy I started citalopram because I feel so much better now."

wal_cott (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"I have been on 40MG of citalopram for 6 years. I am a nurse. I had really bad anxiety where I couldn't even leave my house. Right away I started to feel a release. The best way I could describe it was that I didn't feel constantly on edge anymore. I have been very drowsy pretty much the whole 6 years I've been on citalopram. I'm going to try cutting back my dosage to 20 MG eventually here and see how I manage on it. I have tried other SSRI's that have made me more anxious and each medication effects each person differently so remember that! While citalopram works for me it may make someone else's anxiety worse. Too much serotonin in the body causes anxiety so it's all about finding the correct balance."

AnxietyG (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I've been on 10 mg for five days. First day I had the shakes n cold n hot , second day I was lil better the shakes stop but didn't eat much , third day I ate two meals n moved around n threw up that night , fourth day I ate like no other but had diarrhea , fifth day lil out of it , yawning a lot yes , sometimes it hard to sleep then others , heart rate lil high at times too but I'm I hope I'll be OK I'm only 5 foot n weighs 109 pounds I dont do well with meds."

Lilshorty88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "Really have to give it time! I was stuck in a constant state of anxiety and this plus the combination of klonopin has really given my life back. I strongly encourage help if you need it, anxiety is very real and very scary but there is help available! I am unique that I take 30mg daily but it seems like the right dose for me. To really see effects of this medication you must find the correct dose and give anywhere from 4-8 weeks for full effects. There is hope for anyone out there."

kly78 February 24, 2016

"I have been on Celexa for over 15 years. I tolerated it very well. I found that 20mgs kept me stable, but I still have episodes of anxiety every now and then. Sometimes I can go years without needing an antianxiety medication, and sometimes I need it until my flare up passes. I'll be on Celexa for life. Anyone else been on it that long?"

Lifer74 February 21, 2016

Celexa (citalopram): "I used Celexa and it was rough. I then went and looked at all the side effects and realized that THE ANXIETY IT WAS TREATING WAS ALSO A SIDE EFFECT. I then in a last ditch effort went to a chiropractor and he changed my life. He explained HOW CHIROPRACTIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NECK AND BACK PAIN. He explained that stress is necessary to live and is a good thing! Our issue with stress is that our body isn't adapting properly to the stress. Chiropractors help our nervous system flow properly so we don't need drugs by removing subluxations. (A subluxation is an interference in the brain body connection) If there is something you could do so you wouldn't have to deal with stress, would you? See a subluxation based chiropractor!"

ImBlue February 17, 2016