User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by MonicaK (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 26 years old and have been suffering from health anxiety. Every time something hurts or I get a gas bubble in my chest I think I'm dying and will have a panic attack for hours. It was putting a strain on my life in everyday possible so I sucked it up and went to the Dr. Also, I have a fear of taking meds so this wasn't easy. I decided to take my 10mgs at night after reading about drowsiness, yet I do not get drowsy. The morning after my first pill I woke up with what felt like a terrible cold that only lasted till the next day. I was sneezing like mad which is something I never do. I know the Dr. said it would take weeks to work but I'm telling you I feel great. The things that once terrified me now have no power over me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by Anna1238 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I can't say a bad word about citalopram because it worked well for me. I quit smoking and was so happy, started going to yoga. After couple months I had to stop taking it because had a horrible rash and sexual dysfunction obviously...I wasn't happy about it and my boyfriend thought that it's his fault.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Fizzletots (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): It works well for anxiety. Difficult to orgasm, get really sleepy if I drink (esp. Scotch/liquor), but other than that definitely more chill. Sleeping better, chest pain I was having from anxiety has virtually disappeared after 6 weeks on 20mg. Going to keep on it for 6 months then taper & reevaluate. Gained 10lbs and liking carbs more. Seems related to the meds.

January 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by zillafish (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): I suffer from anxiety, OCD, bipolar, and depression. This medication has made me sluggish and slow because of that I have gained weight which has just added to the stress and anxiety. It has done nothing for me. My anxiety is still intruding on my life. My OCD is not being helped because my anxiety is not being dealt with.

January 29, 2015 4:58 AM

Review by Sales guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Absolutely changed my life. Sleeping habits greatly improved. Sudden stress disappeared. Sense of calmness I haven't had in decades returned.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by ronmon06:

Celexa (citalopram): I had to start taking Celexa after my mom died 4 years ago and I must say it worked for me. Well my dad died last July and my stress shot out of the roof and my doctor added buspirone and I took it until I felt better and then I quit all my anxiety medicines altogether back in December thinking I got this. Well I had a week long anxiety attack that landed me in the ER. Don't stop taking your medicines just because you feel good. Now I have to start all over again but I will be better now.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 6:47 AM

Review by grassmunchy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I've just started this, I've taken 2 doses and I know it's supposed to take a couple of weeks to start to work, but I can already feel a difference.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 11:51 AM

Review by NJP817:

About 2 months on citalopram, starting taking it for headaches and anxiety attacks caused by stress from work, college, and a lot of life changes at once. Wasted a month refusing to take it because I was "too good for medication like this" and because of the horror stories I'd read. After a couple weeks it helped soooo much, I could have my life back without the constant worry of where and when I would have anxiety attacks. I can finally have relaxing evenings at home. No problems other than slight drowsiness the first few days and a lot of sexual dysfunction the first couple weeks.

January 22, 2015 11:04 PM

Review by doggies (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): I had to quit smoking, and was deep in the throes of everything mental. Called my doctor, and he prescribed Celexa...one-half pill (20 mg). I was furious! Half a pill? They either didn't have any idea what I was dealing with, or didn't care. I griped, but I started that night, with my little `1/2 pill. The next day I didn't even think about a cigarette until I realized I hadn't thought about them! I love Celexa.

January 18, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Bettsann (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I just started taking 10mg Celexa the evening of Jan 14, took another one same time next night. Next morning I was miserably sick. Nausea, more wretching than vomiting, weak, headachey, all over sick feeling... This was like (but this time much worse) the reaction I had when I started Prozac. Dr. agreed that my first bad reaction WAS to the Prozac, called yesterday and said I won't take more Celexa. I am done with SSRI's. I am wondering if anyone else has had this same reaction...

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Ser85 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): I was on this for a little over a year and all it did was make me gain 30 pounds. I started taking it for anxiety and it helped, but then I became very depressed. It also made me crave carbs..hence the 30 lb weight gain. I'm on Cymbalta now and doing SO much better.

January 12, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by Gkmason:

Celexa (citalopram): I really didn't know I had a problem with anxiety until I started this medication for a bout of situational depression (my husband leaving me while I was deployed), and as soon as I started taking it, it was like all of the horrible cloudiness that kept me awake every night, that I dubiously named depression, completely subsided. I had had anxiety all along, and probably my entire life. I have been using Celexa (5mg) on and off for a few years now, when things seem to just spiral out of my control, and it has been wonderful, and worked perfectly every time, immediately, with no side effects. I am beyond thankful.

December 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by JudeClint:

Celexa (citalopram): I started Celexa in July and within a few weeks those closest to me remarked on the difference how much happier and less angry I seemed. I felt less overwhelmed by stress and felt happier. The change had been subtle from my viewpoint, and it wasn't until after my doctor suggested a change in medicine, I realized how much it helped me. Within days I noticed my irritability had returned and within a couple weeks I felt as if I weren't taking anything at all. I asked my doctor to return me to Celexa. Side effects I've noticed: initial nausea, jittery (especially with the addition of caffeine), vivid dreams, weight loss (15 pounds since July).

December 28, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Jillybean1979:

Celexa (citalopram): Day 4 of Celexa & WOW my negative thoughts, constant worry & irritation have almost vanished! I'm taking 10mg a day and am amazed at how quickly I feel this medicine working. I have had some bad headaches, dizziness & a little nausea but that's about it & totally worth it for the difference I'm feeling. I feel like life is worth living again. Thank you Celexa!

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by joanmredd:

Celexa (citalopram): I have suffered from panic attacks for about 12 years. Because I have a brother who became addicted to xanax and ended up detoxing in a hospital I have been afraid of all medication. After a major scare concerning a health issue I found I could no longer ignore the consequences of the attacks. I have lost 20 lbs in 5 years and am now very underweight. I had no appetite and dreaded meals. I started taking Celexa 3 weeks ago and the change is amazing. I still wake up in the middle of the night and I do have very vivid dreams. However, now when I wake up and do not go into a panic attack. I am eating 3 meals a day. The only side effects I have are headaches and constipation. I would recommend this medicine.

December 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Review by Joey from Loueeezziana:

Celexa (citalopram): I got on Celexa about 5 months ago. The reason was stress. I went to the doctor for a routine physical after turning 30. He was going through a checklist of questions and when 'stress' came up I was like absolutely. Just married, new house, new baby, trying to elevate myself in the professional world --- all wonderful stuff but challenging and stressful. He prescribed Celexa to "take the edge off." It did just that. Nothing major, but you can feel it for the first few weeks. You're just a little more chill. It makes it difficult to get angry (i.e. road rage never happens). I took it a few months then I stopped. Didn't notice any side effects from getting off it. Didn't feel it anymore after a few months anyway.

December 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): My doctor put me on Celexa when I started having tension headaches from severe stress. The headaches were gone after a week of taking the medication. A week later, I started tripping over my own feet & my pharmacist told me the medication was to blame. My stress was absolutely more manageable, though!

December 7, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by anxiousaf (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Took this for about a year and it was highly effective. Boosted my mood and rid of most my anxiety in just a week of starting it. Only thing was it made me sick at first but I switched to taking it at night and I was fine! I'd recommend Celexa over anything.

December 1, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by kavsp:

Celexa (citalopram): I started this medication 2 1/2 years ago it has worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away. I used to have panic attacks that would last for hours and hours I thought I was loosing my mind. This made me feel normal again I hadn't had an actual anxiety attack in over 2 years. Thank you Celexa.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Ladyflyer7 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): When my doctor suggested I have anxiety, at first I was hesitant to try Celexa. I had always attributed my symptoms to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, allergies and chronic back and hip pain. I held my prescription for three weeks before deciding to try it. I have been taking 20 mg for 7 days. I have not had to take a muscle relaxer or a strong pain reliever in a week because although I still feel a little discomfort in my back, it's not so bad anymore. Added benefit.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Mikeross:

Having suffered from anxiety for a while I finally plucked up the courage and went to the doctor. I was sceptical at first but citalopram has been such a fantastic thing. 4 months on my anxiety has Completely gone, I'm back to how I used to be a few years ago. No side affects except for the first week I didn't sleep as well as I used to but now I sleep better than ever. Whoever is reading this and is indecisive about taking Citalopram all I say is give it a go for a few months. The first 1-2 weeks you won't have much difference but it does get SO much better. I don't know what I would have done with out this.

November 11, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by Synchroduv (taken for 10 years or more):

Celexa (citalopram): I'm a 40 year old male that has taken Celexa for about 10 years now for aniexty. I take 40mg once a day. It works well to manage my anxiety. With the higher dose I take it can cause nausea for me if taken on an empty stomach. I also get sleepy for an hour or two after taking it so I take it at bed time. The only issue I've had is forgetting to take or running out of this medication. The withdrawl is pretty bad after about 4 days of not taking causing anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, "brain zaps", insomnia and flu like symptoms. Celexa has worked very well for me and would recommend it for treating anxiety. Just don't suddenly stop taking it. You have to slowly ween off.

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by stressedoutnurse (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Celexa (citalopram): I was too proud at first to try a medicine, but I'm so glad I did. It changed my life. My stress and anxiety stay managable and no major side effects except minor fatigue.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by primetime22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I started taking citalopram for 12 days. At first they started me with 10 mg but that didn't affect me at all so I went back to the doctor and they gave me 20 mg. I started to notice that my anxiety was getting worst which was the main reason why I started taking the pill and I also had some stress but I also notice that the hours between 2 to 10 pm my anxiety goes away for some reason. Yesterday was the first night in 2 weeks where I slept the whole night without a nervous feeling and today which is day 12 my anxiety through out the day hasn't really affected me. I actually woke up in the morning without the feeling of going to the hospital....hopefully every day gets better.

October 21, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by chriwa (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking 5 MG's of Celexa and 1.mg Xanax for a year now and have found great relief from anxiety and sleep problems. Im very sensitive to medication thus the low dosages. My doctor has no problem combining the two meds for me. Life is much better without anxiety. Perfect for me.

October 9, 2014 8:40 PM