User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Ella Sue:

Celexa (citalopram): Have been taking this for 2 weeks, and the positive effects were immediate for me. I did have some initial side effects such as dry mouth (lasted a few days), and change in bowel movement (getting better ), yawning a lot first 3-5 days, better now. The impact it has had on me has been nothing but GREAT. I had a lot of areas of stress in my life from family to work, and the anxiety made me feel my heart was going to jump out of my chest! Now, those little things don't worry me, and I've been able to let go of personal struggles that were holding me down, including a broken heart! This has let me be myself again, and most of all to enjoy life again!!

September 28, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by New woman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): This medication has changed my life. I am bipolar so I take it with my Trileptal (mood stabilizer). I've been searching for the right medicine combination for 10 years and I've never felt better. I started Celexa 6 weeks ago and It took about a month to feel it working. I had headaches and stomach problems but all that has subsided. I am free from the debilitating anxiety I've dealt with my entire life. I feel a sense of hope and happiness I never thought possible for me. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, low energy, stress sensitive or depressed. It's truly been a God send.

September 27, 2014 2:20 AM

Review by bill71:

Celexa (citalopram): I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Stressing (taken for 1 to 6 months):

53 year old male. I had anxiety for years and been on Citalopram for about 6 weeks and the only side affects I had was a dry mouth and a little sweaty one or two nights. I noticed that it was cutting the anxiety in the first day or 2. I’m on 20mg’s. Some people report that they feel detached or floaty and I want to say that to. But after thinking about it for awhile. That is the way I feel when I can get myself pumped up to work on something and shelf the anxiety for long enough and block it out and get something done unhindered by it. I think that the environment inside my head just feels odd, without the anxious background chatter and it might take a while to adapt to that.

September 20, 2014 5:48 PM

Review by tacjam:

Celexa (citalopram): AMAZING.....after 1 week I could sleep, all panic attacks, seating, fear of dying, heart racing stopped. Have never been better.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by psugirl2030:

Celexa (citalopram): I have had anxiety for over ten years. 2 years ago I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety. I tried Luvox, Prozac, and now I am taking Celexa. The first did not do much for me and the Prozac made me feel like I was out of my body and gave me really bad side effects. Celexa is amazing I am taking 20mg 2x daily. Highly recommend!

September 6, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by billabcdefg246 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I was given 10mg and a week later he went up to 20mg. So far I have had constant yawning, sweating attacks, nausea and now diarrhea. I also have problems sleeping at night and this made me tired in afternoon, but I now split dose, 1 before bed and one when I get up...that has helped the symptoms and they are less bothersome now. The sweating is the worst, I ordered Odaban and it is wonderful! You can even apply it to your face and head and that is where I sweat. I have not have any more feelings of doom and gloom and excessive worrying. I feel like I am getting back to normal but it's been 2 weeks and I'm not there yet. So I guess so far so good.

September 2, 2014 11:56 PM

Review by cdmf:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm a 25 year old female and my doctor prescribed Celexa to help me manage my anxiety. I've been on it just shy of 3 months. I started with 10 mg and increased to 20 mg after about 2 weeks. My initial side effects were dry mouth, decreased appetite, sleepiness and low libido. The first few nights I was on Celexa I also found myself suddenly waking up in the middle of the night in a panic. This also happened after my dose was increased. After almost 3 months on Celexa, all the side effects have disappeared, except my sex drive is completely non-existent. Overall I feel very relaxed and my anxiety symptoms have significantly decreased.

September 1, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Lise71:

Celexa (citalopram): This is my 12th day on Citalopram and already I am noticing a difference. I was on Effexor for over a year and it was okay but started getting really anxious and having panics attacks all over again, more frequent, and also really sad a lot, so decided to talk to my doctor about switching. He said "Citalopram is my go-to medicine, and it's a lot cleaner than most." I love reading the positive reviews. It gives me high hopes. The first week I did feel a bit off but I know you just have to wait it out and things will look up. So far so good! Good luck everyone!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Hobbito (taken for less than 1 month):

I need help. I'm 16 years old and I've been struggling with depersonalization and derealization. It started after a massive panic attack and during the panic attack my body felt numb my heart was going crazy my vision also went weird and after that nothing's been the same I fell very detached and like I'm in a dream. I went to my GP and he prescribed me 10mg of citalopram with 50 mg of stresam. It's now day two and last night I woke up sweating and felt as if I was twitching I also have stomach pain and I feel very anxious and scared that it won't work and I'm very panicky about taking it after reading the side affects I can't stop over thinking and I feel I'm on the verge of having another panic attack I'm so nervous and I need advice.

August 2, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by amelia ann:

I started this medication in February for stress and anxiety. I was worrying about anything and everything. I couldn't sleep, eat or no motivation for months. I was put on 10mg and feel so much better. I am happy again, sleeping and no longer sick on a morning. It took a while with some ups and downs along the way but stick with it because its worth it in the end!

July 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by HeatherB85:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm 29 years old...(Mother of 2 boys) I lost my grandma (who raised me) on June 10th (My birthday). She was my everything. This is the first time I've experienced losing someone this close to me. I've had a very difficult time dealing with is, crying everyday....and it has affected me at work with having less patience for things...anxiety, etc. Which I already had anxiety at night before she ever passed away. I've been on Celexa for 5 days and I haven't cried since then. It has made me feel more calm....more understanding of things. My anxiety has subsided a great deal....the only down side is I'm having a little bit of insomnia which I know is a side effect. I'm optimistic about the future now.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by bentleys mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): Literally one week of medication and I'm feeling great! I was up at 7:00 am this morning, wide awake. For anyone who knows me, that's amazing. I was ready for my day and made it a productive one. Thank you Celexa you have given me my life back.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Britt 25 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): This medicine is incredible. I had about four months of out of the blue, never had it before in my life terrible panic and anxiety. I was to the point I was throwing up every morning and constantly worrying and thinking about it. I finally went to the Dr. after crying and feeling miserable for days/months. She prescribed me Celexa 10mg to ween on (minimal side effects nauseous and a little more tired than usual, but I take it at night) then a month later I went to 20mg and I'm happy there. Absolutely no more anxiety or panic and I don't feel like an emotionless zombie I feel just like myself. My sex drive is normal just takes a bit longer to get there.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Knomge:

Works great for me. I had severe crippling anxiety. If you work out while on this medicine you feel great.

July 12, 2014 3:26 AM

Review by k mansar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After putting off getting help for a very long time....I am on 40mg a day, started off with 20mg. I also need to take beta blockers to calm my nerves. But overall these tablets are great. Don't be worried about side affects, everyone is different and you may not get any. I do feel very tired and less energetic, but in reality I was a little like this before the medication from being mentally exhausted. Only thing I find is that if I miss one tablet (from taking 2 a day), I suffer for days. I was also very ill after having a very small amount of alcohol on them (so I just stay tea total now). But they certainly take the edge off and I don't feel like a zombie on them :)

July 10, 2014 4:54 AM

Review by Woodsy13 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had some personal problems at home that seriously took their toll after about 4 years of "getting on with life" as a full time working mum to a toddler and not looking after my mental health. Once my daughter started school, I FINALLY took the long-overdue step to do something about how I was feeling - exhausted emotionally, constantly tearful, low self esteem, anxious with doom-filled thoughts and a constant sense of failure. I was prescribe Citalopram but held off taking it for 24 hours as I was convinced I was going suffer from all the adverse side effects I'd read about. However, within 4 or 5 hours of taking my first pill I felt notably brighter, more balanced and with a better sense of equilibrium - I truly cant believe it!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 4:57 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Klutt:

This medicine has helped me. I have taken others for my anxiety, that did not work well. It does make me over heat easier. That is the only draw back to it.

May 14, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on citalopram, for about two years. After being off of antidepressants for a while, citalopram worked like a charm for my anxiety. I started mellowing out and finding myself less and less anxious. I really came out of my shell and started being more outgoing and happy. However, this medication also came with some side effects that never went away, like dry mouth and fatigue. I could literally sleep all afternoon even after sleeping 8 hours the night before. I also felt numb to emotions and never felt high or low...just there. I had a breakdown last fall and got off the medication idiotically. When I got back on it, it decreased my anxiety but did not help me get back on the "happy wagon."

May 12, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by BooBoo36:

Ive been on this medication for around 3.5 wks now & the difference is amazing. Pro's - My temper has calmed considerably, I don't feel foggy or anxious the whole time, I can sleep & the most amazing thing is that the Bulimia episodes have pretty much stopped altogether! Con's - I have pretty much no appetite to the extent that I remind myself to eat or I feel ill, a bit of dizziness, really tired first couple of weeks but now I feel like I have lots of energy, upset stomach a few times. Its only early days but I'm actually laughing & feel human again! I'm hoping that these help me to resolve issues going forward.

May 9, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:20 PM