User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Lise71:

Celexa (citalopram): This is my 12th day on Citalopram and already I am noticing a difference. I was on Effexor for over a year and it was okay but started getting really anxious and having panics attacks all over again, more frequent, and also really sad a lot, so decided to talk to my doctor about switching. He said "Citalopram is my go-to medicine, and it's a lot cleaner than most." I love reading the positive reviews. It gives me high hopes. The first week I did feel a bit off but I know you just have to wait it out and things will look up. So far so good! Good luck everyone!

August 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Hobbito (taken for less than 1 month):

I need help. I'm 16 years old and I've been struggling with depersonalization and derealization. It started after a massive panic attack and during the panic attack my body felt numb my heart was going crazy my vision also went weird and after that nothing's been the same I fell very detached and like I'm in a dream. I went to my GP and he prescribed me 10mg of citalopram with 50 mg of stresam. It's now day two and last night I woke up sweating and felt as if I was twitching I also have stomach pain and I feel very anxious and scared that it won't work and I'm very panicky about taking it after reading the side affects I can't stop over thinking and I feel I'm on the verge of having another panic attack I'm so nervous and I need advice.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by amelia ann:

I started this medication in February for stress and anxiety. I was worrying about anything and everything. I couldn't sleep, eat or no motivation for months. I was put on 10mg and feel so much better. I am happy again, sleeping and no longer sick on a morning. It took a while with some ups and downs along the way but stick with it because its worth it in the end!

July 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by HeatherB85:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm 29 years old...(Mother of 2 boys) I lost my grandma (who raised me) on June 10th (My birthday). She was my everything. This is the first time I've experienced losing someone this close to me. I've had a very difficult time dealing with is, crying everyday....and it has affected me at work with having less patience for things...anxiety, etc. Which I already had anxiety at night before she ever passed away. I've been on Celexa for 5 days and I haven't cried since then. It has made me feel more calm....more understanding of things. My anxiety has subsided a great deal....the only down side is I'm having a little bit of insomnia which I know is a side effect. I'm optimistic about the future now.

July 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by bentleys mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): Literally one week of medication and I'm feeling great! I was up at 7:00 am this morning, wide awake. For anyone who knows me, that's amazing. I was ready for my day and made it a productive one. Thank you Celexa you have given me my life back.

July 24, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Britt 25 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): This medicine is incredible. I had about four months of out of the blue, never had it before in my life terrible panic and anxiety. I was to the point I was throwing up every morning and constantly worrying and thinking about it. I finally went to the Dr. after crying and feeling miserable for days/months. She prescribed me Celexa 10mg to ween on (minimal side effects nauseous and a little more tired than usual, but I take it at night) then a month later I went to 20mg and I'm happy there. Absolutely no more anxiety or panic and I don't feel like an emotionless zombie I feel just like myself. My sex drive is normal just takes a bit longer to get there.

July 23, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Knomge:

Works great for me. I had severe crippling anxiety. If you work out while on this medicine you feel great.

July 12, 2014 3:26 AM

Review by k mansar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After putting off getting help for a very long time....I am on 40mg a day, started off with 20mg. I also need to take beta blockers to calm my nerves. But overall these tablets are great. Don't be worried about side affects, everyone is different and you may not get any. I do feel very tired and less energetic, but in reality I was a little like this before the medication from being mentally exhausted. Only thing I find is that if I miss one tablet (from taking 2 a day), I suffer for days. I was also very ill after having a very small amount of alcohol on them (so I just stay tea total now). But they certainly take the edge off and I don't feel like a zombie on them :)

July 10, 2014 4:54 AM

Review by Woodsy13 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had some personal problems at home that seriously took their toll after about 4 years of "getting on with life" as a full time working mum to a toddler and not looking after my mental health. Once my daughter started school, I FINALLY took the long-overdue step to do something about how I was feeling - exhausted emotionally, constantly tearful, low self esteem, anxious with doom-filled thoughts and a constant sense of failure. I was prescribe Citalopram but held off taking it for 24 hours as I was convinced I was going suffer from all the adverse side effects I'd read about. However, within 4 or 5 hours of taking my first pill I felt notably brighter, more balanced and with a better sense of equilibrium - I truly cant believe it!

June 30, 2014 4:57 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Klutt:

This medicine has helped me. I have taken others for my anxiety, that did not work well. It does make me over heat easier. That is the only draw back to it.

May 14, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on citalopram, for about two years. After being off of antidepressants for a while, citalopram worked like a charm for my anxiety. I started mellowing out and finding myself less and less anxious. I really came out of my shell and started being more outgoing and happy. However, this medication also came with some side effects that never went away, like dry mouth and fatigue. I could literally sleep all afternoon even after sleeping 8 hours the night before. I also felt numb to emotions and never felt high or low...just there. I had a breakdown last fall and got off the medication idiotically. When I got back on it, it decreased my anxiety but did not help me get back on the "happy wagon."

May 12, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by BooBoo36:

Ive been on this medication for around 3.5 wks now & the difference is amazing. Pro's - My temper has calmed considerably, I don't feel foggy or anxious the whole time, I can sleep & the most amazing thing is that the Bulimia episodes have pretty much stopped altogether! Con's - I have pretty much no appetite to the extent that I remind myself to eat or I feel ill, a bit of dizziness, really tired first couple of weeks but now I feel like I have lots of energy, upset stomach a few times. Its only early days but I'm actually laughing & feel human again! I'm hoping that these help me to resolve issues going forward.

May 9, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Minime1234:

I'm 19 years old, I've suffered from depression, stress, bulimia and anxiety for several years. My background is Chinese, therefore my parents are very judgmental (not all Chinese parents are) but they don't really believe in such kind of illness and they will lose face if any of their friends knew what was wrong with me, one day I couldn't bare it so I went to the doc, she gave me citalopram 10mg. This is my second day, I've experience dizziness and diarrhea but apart from that I feel like I've been more happy and positive.

April 18, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by gourmetv0mit:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by JennayJellybeans:

Celexa (citalopram): This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Sleepymama:

Celexa (citalopram): Day 2 of Celexa for anxiety. Ended up with headache, panic, dizziness, racing heart and thoughts. My typical anxiety wasn't even as bad as that. Day 1 seemed okay, but after day 2 I'm not happy with it. No more for me thanks!

April 3, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started Celexa January 2 at 10 mg then went up to 20 mg February 2011. So far so good. The 10 mg was working ok but the 20mg works great. Wish I would have started this treatment years ago. It works great. I'm a lot more calm and no panic attacks.

March 24, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Lexir (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Celexa for my severe anxiety and depression. I was very doubtful of it because my main problem was my anxiety and I was told this was an antidepressant, but I decided to give it a try. I read about every review on this site, and I was scared to death since everyone got side effects. I even cried before I took it. I've been on it for a few days now. From day 1, no side effects. My anxiety has also slightly decreased already. I find that I am able to realize I'm feeling anxious and simply think "I don't care" and it instantly goes away. Please don't be scared off by the side effects. I have finally found relief in my life and can't wait for the next few weeks when it works even better.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by CKay1104:

Celexa (citalopram): Best anti-anxiety medication for me. At 20mg it perfectly takes the edge off & allows me to focus with clarity at work & at home. I have been on Celexa for 10 years, tried Wellbutrin once thinking it might help with weight loss but it made me feel crazy & irritable, I did not like it at all. My daughter has similar issues as I do & Celexa did not work for her, she's going to try Prozac now. I think it's important to realize that everybody is different as is their chemical make up & what might work great for one may not for another.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by T02S:

I have been on Celexa for depression for thirteen years total, six the first time, two years medicine free, and then seven years up until recently. It had worked wonderfully until fall of this past year. I suddenly had nervousness and anxiety not experienced before while on Celexa. I told my doctor and he switched me to Trazodone. I miss that Celexa was once a day treatment, while I have to take Trazodone multiple times per day because it wears off. Sad that Celexa started causing anxiety after so many good years on it. Be watchful, because some MD's do not acknowledge anxiety as a possible side effect of Celexa.

March 12, 2014 8:45 PM