User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

"This drug definitely decreased my anxiety and depression A LOT. At first I started on 20 mg. I took it at night because they make me very drowsy. Three months later I was bumped up to 40 mg. I am extremely tired all day, everyday. The worst side effect for me is the weight gain. I work out 5 days a week and eat extremely well. This medicine has been packing 5 lbs on me a month average. Also, I am hungry (or at least my brain wants to eat) non-stop! I'm going off this medication because I talked to a nurse at my Dr. office who told me she gained 40 pounds on it. I'd recommend taking it IF you don't mind gaining weight, even regardless of exercise. I'm currently weening myself off of this medication after about 7 months on it."

Runner15151515 May 15, 2015

"I started taking Citalopram 12 years ago as a teenage for anxiety and depression. I have consistently taken it as an adult for the past seven years for anxiety. I have found that my optimal dose is 20mg and also have a sprinkle of Clanazopam a day works best to treat my anxiety. Things as simple as be anxious to answer a phone are rarely an issue for me. I take it at night as it makes me tired and a little nauseous if I take it in the morning. My quality of life is better when I am using my medication regularly. I hope you find your right fit."

polcka19 May 14, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

"Was prescribed Citalopram for severe anxiety and depression. I had 2-4 days of very slight queasiness and no side effects thereafter. I started to feel calmer by the end of the first week and quite simply it went on to change my life for the better. I took it for 2 years and when I felt ready I slowly reduced my dosage with the knowledge of my doctor. I have not been on the medication for about 5 years now and have continued to feel perfectly well. There are some days when I am mildly anxious or down but I can cope without medication and these episodes pass quickly. I would urge anyone advised to take this medication to do as they are asked - it might just save your sanity!"

CayLins April 30, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"Six years ago I used to suffer from bad panic attacks to a point it turned into bipolar I got put in rehab for it I was very suicidal after a week of medication I was my normal self for years... But recent I am suffering from anxiety disorder, I hear and feel my own heart beat 24/7, I was waking crying and I can't relax at all just constant edgy-ness, I felt cold all the time had heart palptations and I lost a stone due to this.. My doctor put my on 10mg citalopram Hydrobromide, side effects vomiting, tremor and vivid dreams. I do feel not as edgy but it's still early to say I've been taking them for two days so it'll take a while to kick in I think but will update."

Fionarose April 29, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

"Life transforming. I've always resisted the idea of medicating mental states, but after a year of utterly out-of-control and misery-making anxiety, I was persuaded to give it a try. Within two weeks my levels of anxiety had dropped significantly, three months in I feel positive and able to cope with my enormously stressful work situation. This medicine has transformed my mental state. I do feel more tired on it, and am perhaps experiencing a certain loss of mental sharpness, but that's a price I am happy to pay in exchange for despair, panic and regular suicidal thoughts. I never expected to find myself buying into "big pharmaceuticals will make you happy", but this has helped me regain control of my life."

Skepticalbeneficiary April 23, 2015

"I have been on citalopram 20 mg for 2 months now. Overall yes I have felt better , my mood was happy , not easy to anger, and things that would normally stress me didn't as much. I had a incident where I missed 3 doses , I was dizzy light headed and felt very unbalanced, took my evening dose and woke up next morning back to no side effects. Online search stated it was withdrawals. Now since 2 months down, I have suddenly felt depressed , and anxiety a little more again. Going to call doctor see if its not working, I have a urge to eat more then before carbs and sweets."

nicknames already in use April 22, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

"I started taking Celexa 14 years ago after the death of my father. I had always had panic attacks, anxiety everyday, but never sought help. After my father passed away, I could not cope with the anxiety, so off to the Dr. I went. I did my research beforehand and asked the Dr. for Celexa. I started out at 10mg and then went to 20mg and have been there ever since. My life completely changed, I didn't realize what a hold the anxiety had on me. I will never be without my Celexa and the Dr. said I could stay on it forever, it won't hurt me. I wished I would have listened to my Dr. 30 years ago when he suggested an SSRI for the anxiety, it would have spared me so many years of being inside the walls of anxiety."

CD2 April 19, 2015

"After years of suffering from ever-worsening anxieties, I finally told my Dr & she prescribed 20mg of Citalopram. I noticed w/in the first 20 mins or so of taking it I got super drowsy & dizzy. I have vertigo, & it kind of felt like that, but with the added drowsiness. This lasted for about a week & then stopped. The drowsiness only came back after I drank alcohol, but even that side effect has since stopped. My family remarked how happy & like myself again I was after about 2 weeks & that's when I realized it was helping. I did notice that I couldn't seem to shut up, I had an increase in energy, loss of appetite, excess sweating/sensitivity to heat, lost 25 lbs, had mood swings & extra trouble sleeping. I still feel way better now, though!"

Melsie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2015

"I stopped after a week due to significantly decreased libido; I'm giving it a few stars because I'm not sure if it would have eventually helped my anxiety and depression since I wasn't on it long enough."

thirty (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

"After having a heart attack at 55 years of age, I was prescribed citalopram. My only regret is that I didn't start taking it 30 years earlier. It has made stresses much easier to handle for me, and me much easier on my family. I think they should put it in drinking water (just kidding.)"

Hajoba April 8, 2015

Celexa (citalopram): "I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

"So I started taking about a week ago, because I have severe anxiety and ADHD as well as OCD, and at first it was miserable, I couldn't read or think straight, it felt like I was in a dream I was in a daze and I was so light headed, i had a terrible dry mouth with the most awful headache, and I felt sleepy, and sluggish, even passed out while getting dressed. I did have better concentration, and overall felt calmer but it has seriously drained me out of alot of other emotions. A week later I am still tired, but I'm not falling asleep during everyday tasks. I can think straight, though I still get light headed and dry mouth, I feel calmer and more relaxed though, and I can focus. My emotions are here and there though, not really constant."

Shannon-chan (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

"I was given this due to the anxiety side effects from other meds I've have to take. My doc said 20 mg at bed time. I've taken it 2 nights I won't take it any longer. It turned an anxiety attack into 2 all day attacks. Supper jittery, very uneasy, on edge, guts won't stop rolling and every little stressful thought gets my heart pounding."

gator 13 March 19, 2015

"I had just starting taking citalopram for About 3 days and I can already tell what a difference I feel! I had such such horrible anxiety! Every time I would think of something that was putting stress in my life, my heart would hurt! Now..... I don't feel anything hurt at all. ..well.... not nearly as bad at least. I know this medicine takes couple weeks to feel full effect, but I can tell a big difference already only on day 3, 20mg! :)"

kraw March 16, 2015

"Started citalopram two and a half weeks ago for anxiety and stress. First few days felt a little strange, but the anxiety decreased from the first day of taking it. I'm really impressed how much better I've been feeling all around. Stupid little things that use to erk me don't have an effect on me anymore. I feel more like I'm living in the moment rather than worrying about the future or things that could happen. I was worried about being a zombie or losing my personality, but I actually feel more outgoing and happy because I'm not nervous and tense. I wanted to share my experience because when my Dr. first prescribed it to me, I was to scared to take it. But after reading others reviews I was brave enough to try it and I'm so glad I did!"

FloridaGrl March 16, 2015

"I've been on Citalopram for 5 months now and it hasn't helped me at all. I haven't had any bad side effects to show it's actually working, and I haven't had any improvement with my anxiety and depression. "

Useless Tablets March 15, 2015

"This medication made me feel like I wasn't real and I lost 6 weeks of my life while on it, hoping it would work. It did help with anxiety because I felt nothing and had no energy. Would not recommend at all if you need energy. Did not make me physically sick like Zoloft though, which had similar effects."

Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

"Hi, I'm female from UK, age 16. I was on fluoxetine for a while and whilst at first it helped with my moods but after a few months I didn't really get much out of it, anxiety and depression wise. A few months ago I was switched to citalopram and I can say it has been an absolute lifesaver. I suffer from extreme sensitivity and most stressful situations get me extremely anxious . I'm not having a good time with school ATM but I'm generally feeling like I can cope with it, and that I don't spiral off into mania and anxiety anymore when something bad happens. I have minimal symptoms of anxiety anymore, with heart fluttering, tummy ache and shaking almost gone when I should feel anxious. My moods have improved greatly and I love this meds."

hannahcroftie March 13, 2015