User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Knomge:

Works great for me. I had severe crippling anxiety. If you work out while on this medicine you feel great.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 3:26 AM

Review by k mansar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After putting off getting help for a very long time....I am on 40mg a day, started off with 20mg. I also need to take beta blockers to calm my nerves. But overall these tablets are great. Don't be worried about side affects, everyone is different and you may not get any. I do feel very tired and less energetic, but in reality I was a little like this before the medication from being mentally exhausted. Only thing I find is that if I miss one tablet (from taking 2 a day), I suffer for days. I was also very ill after having a very small amount of alcohol on them (so I just stay tea total now). But they certainly take the edge off and I don't feel like a zombie on them :)

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 4:54 AM

Review by Woodsy13 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had some personal problems at home that seriously took their toll after about 4 years of "getting on with life" as a full time working mum to a toddler and not looking after my mental health. Once my daughter started school, I FINALLY took the long-overdue step to do something about how I was feeling - exhausted emotionally, constantly tearful, low self esteem, anxious with doom-filled thoughts and a constant sense of failure. I was prescribe Citalopram but held off taking it for 24 hours as I was convinced I was going suffer from all the adverse side effects I'd read about. However, within 4 or 5 hours of taking my first pill I felt notably brighter, more balanced and with a better sense of equilibrium - I truly cant believe it!

June 30, 2014 4:57 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Klutt:

This medicine has helped me. I have taken others for my anxiety, that did not work well. It does make me over heat easier. That is the only draw back to it.

May 14, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on citalopram, for about two years. After being off of antidepressants for a while, citalopram worked like a charm for my anxiety. I started mellowing out and finding myself less and less anxious. I really came out of my shell and started being more outgoing and happy. However, this medication also came with some side effects that never went away, like dry mouth and fatigue. I could literally sleep all afternoon even after sleeping 8 hours the night before. I also felt numb to emotions and never felt high or low...just there. I had a breakdown last fall and got off the medication idiotically. When I got back on it, it decreased my anxiety but did not help me get back on the "happy wagon."

May 12, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by BooBoo36:

Ive been on this medication for around 3.5 wks now & the difference is amazing. Pro's - My temper has calmed considerably, I don't feel foggy or anxious the whole time, I can sleep & the most amazing thing is that the Bulimia episodes have pretty much stopped altogether! Con's - I have pretty much no appetite to the extent that I remind myself to eat or I feel ill, a bit of dizziness, really tired first couple of weeks but now I feel like I have lots of energy, upset stomach a few times. Its only early days but I'm actually laughing & feel human again! I'm hoping that these help me to resolve issues going forward.

May 9, 2014 1:58 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram): The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful.

April 23, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Minime1234:

I'm 19 years old, I've suffered from depression, stress, bulimia and anxiety for several years. My background is Chinese, therefore my parents are very judgmental (not all Chinese parents are) but they don't really believe in such kind of illness and they will lose face if any of their friends knew what was wrong with me, one day I couldn't bare it so I went to the doc, she gave me citalopram 10mg. This is my second day, I've experience dizziness and diarrhea but apart from that I feel like I've been more happy and positive.

April 18, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by gourmetv0mit:

Celexa (citalopram): I'm a 16 year old female. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, anorexia and bulimia about 2 years ago. I attempted suicide 3 times and I really thought there was no hope. Zoloft did nothing for me. It was awful. But then along came Celexa and its awesome. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning and my lungs are going to explode. I can get up out of bed and not hate everything. I can go about my day without worrying about every little thing. I no longer get panic attacks. It's awesome. I have lost weight too. I totally recommend Celexa, best things I've ever tried.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by JennayJellybeans:

Celexa (citalopram): This is seriously a miracle medicine! Ever since I went on this, it kicked in within a couple of weeks and after 3 weeks or so, my anxiety has been completely GONE, no more problems at all! I was having problems swallowing food and just swallowing my own saliva in general because of generalized anxiety disorder, every single day, it was hell, but this medicine seriously pulled me out of a dark hole and I've been on it since. Thank you Celexa! I'm so much happier on it.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Sleepymama:

Celexa (citalopram): Day 2 of Celexa for anxiety. Ended up with headache, panic, dizziness, racing heart and thoughts. My typical anxiety wasn't even as bad as that. Day 1 seemed okay, but after day 2 I'm not happy with it. No more for me thanks!

April 3, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started Celexa January 2 at 10 mg then went up to 20 mg February 2011. So far so good. The 10 mg was working ok but the 20mg works great. Wish I would have started this treatment years ago. It works great. I'm a lot more calm and no panic attacks.

March 24, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Lexir (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Celexa for my severe anxiety and depression. I was very doubtful of it because my main problem was my anxiety and I was told this was an antidepressant, but I decided to give it a try. I read about every review on this site, and I was scared to death since everyone got side effects. I even cried before I took it. I've been on it for a few days now. From day 1, no side effects. My anxiety has also slightly decreased already. I find that I am able to realize I'm feeling anxious and simply think "I don't care" and it instantly goes away. Please don't be scared off by the side effects. I have finally found relief in my life and can't wait for the next few weeks when it works even better.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by CKay1104:

Celexa (citalopram): Best anti-anxiety medication for me. At 20mg it perfectly takes the edge off & allows me to focus with clarity at work & at home. I have been on Celexa for 10 years, tried Wellbutrin once thinking it might help with weight loss but it made me feel crazy & irritable, I did not like it at all. My daughter has similar issues as I do & Celexa did not work for her, she's going to try Prozac now. I think it's important to realize that everybody is different as is their chemical make up & what might work great for one may not for another.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by T02S:

I have been on Celexa for depression for thirteen years total, six the first time, two years medicine free, and then seven years up until recently. It had worked wonderfully until fall of this past year. I suddenly had nervousness and anxiety not experienced before while on Celexa. I told my doctor and he switched me to Trazodone. I miss that Celexa was once a day treatment, while I have to take Trazodone multiple times per day because it wears off. Sad that Celexa started causing anxiety after so many good years on it. Be watchful, because some MD's do not acknowledge anxiety as a possible side effect of Celexa.

March 12, 2014 8:45 PM

Review by Laman96 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa changed my life!! I went from being constantly worried/ anxious to feeling calm and capable all the time! Even my coworkers noticed how much better I handled stress and how relaxed I seemed. At first I did experience side effects such as stomach upset, difficulty achieving orgasm and sleep troubles but all of these ceased over the first month. The only side effect I still have is I am slightly more somnolent during the day, but it is well worth it for the positive effects. I didn't gain weight either! I wish I had gone on this med years ago.

March 11, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by missyd78:

The doctor had too take me off it because I was starting to itch badly. I was on 10 mg.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by Mark S. (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 27 year old male and I take this for anxiety & depression. I went into a deep anxiety attack where my mind went into a dark state of mind and I couldn't seem to get out of it for about a week until the medicine kicked in but it was so worth it! I feel at ease now and I'm not overly worried about every little thing anymore. The pros far out weight the cons, but here's the side effects that I experienced during the first week: nausea, insomnia, no appetite hardly and more anxiety. Thankfully about the 5th day into taking it, I felt like me again! I had this sense of joy and happiness that made me feel great. Some males say they had a sexual side effect where they couldn't "climax", but I didn't have that problem one bit. Saved my life.

February 23, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Cait69266:

My first time using citalopram I was on 10mg a day. My first couple days was difficult. Nausea, dizziness, terrible migraines. I had to excuse myself from work for a couple days til I adjusted. My moods did improve, and I took the meds for 6 months. I stopped taking them because I hated relying on meds for my emotional control, and the sexual dysfunction that accompanied it made me more anxious and it put rifts in my relationship. I was off meds for about 7 months, and since that time I've gone through some traumatic experiences that have made it hard to stay in control. So I'm now 4 days into my second try on the meds. I've started at 20mg this time around. 2 days of side effects. We will see how this one goes.

February 20, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by despair:

I started taking this a couple of years ago during the end of a very stressful relationship. I started with 10 mg and eventually went up to the 20mg. This higher dose made me jittery and nervous. I couldn't concentrate or focus. I went back to the 10mg and stayed there. I feel happy and at ease. I laugh and little things don't make me have panic attacks. I have tried a couple of times to stop using this and within a few weeks the smallest things make me want to give up and send me into a few day depression. I would like to stop taking it and be my normal self. I love that I feel great on it but want to learn to feel this way without it as well.

February 17, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by Caranney64:

Should have been on this 20 yrs ago, no more anxiety and suffocating panic attacks. I sleep like a log, am happy and incredibly patient with everyone around me. Every little noise doesn't bother me anymore, I see the humour more easily in all situations. Like I tell my brothers, you don't have to live feeling all wound up like an elastic band ready to snap.

February 14, 2014 2:37 PM