User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by CayLins:

Was prescribed Citalopram for severe anxiety and depression. I had 2-4 days of very slight queasiness and no side effects thereafter. I started to feel calmer by the end of the first week and quite simply it went on to change my life for the better. I took it for 2 years and when I felt ready I slowly reduced my dosage with the knowledge of my doctor. I have not been on the medication for about 5 years now and have continued to feel perfectly well. There are some days when I am mildly anxious or down but I can cope without medication and these episodes pass quickly. I would urge anyone advised to take this medication to do as they are asked - it might just save your sanity!

April 30, 2015 8:06 AM

Review by lachele (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore.

April 29, 2015 9:30 PM

Review by Fionarose:

Six years ago I used to suffer from bad panic attacks to a point it turned into bipolar I got put in rehab for it I was very suicidal after a week of medication I was my normal self for years... But recent I am suffering from anxiety disorder, I hear and feel my own heart beat 24/7, I was waking crying and I can't relax at all just constant edgy-ness, I felt cold all the time had heart palptations and I lost a stone due to this.. My doctor put my on 10mg citalopram Hydrobromide, side effects vomiting, tremor and vivid dreams. I do feel not as edgy but it's still early to say I've been taking them for two days so it'll take a while to kick in I think but will update.

April 29, 2015 11:42 AM

Review by crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 6:41 AM

Review by Kayak33:

Celexa (citalopram): For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!

April 25, 2015 1:55 PM

Review by Skepticalbeneficiary:

Life transforming. I've always resisted the idea of medicating mental states, but after a year of utterly out-of-control and misery-making anxiety, I was persuaded to give it a try. Within two weeks my levels of anxiety had dropped significantly, three months in I feel positive and able to cope with my enormously stressful work situation. This medicine has transformed my mental state. I do feel more tired on it, and am perhaps experiencing a certain loss of mental sharpness, but that's a price I am happy to pay in exchange for despair, panic and regular suicidal thoughts. I never expected to find myself buying into "big pharmaceuticals will make you happy", but this has helped me regain control of my life.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 4:51 PM

Review by nicknames already in use:

I have been on citalopram 20 mg for 2 months now. Overall yes I have felt better , my mood was happy , not easy to anger, and things that would normally stress me didn't as much. I had a incident where I missed 3 doses , I was dizzy light headed and felt very unbalanced, took my evening dose and woke up next morning back to no side effects. Online search stated it was withdrawals. Now since 2 months down, I have suddenly felt depressed , and anxiety a little more again. Going to call doctor see if its not working, I have a urge to eat more then before carbs and sweets.

April 22, 2015 8:20 PM

Review by Saritaaa:

Celexa (citalopram): I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!

April 22, 2015 12:44 PM

Review by CD2:

I started taking Celexa 14 years ago after the death of my father. I had always had panic attacks, anxiety everyday, but never sought help. After my father passed away, I could not cope with the anxiety, so off to the Dr. I went. I did my research beforehand and asked the Dr. for Celexa. I started out at 10mg and then went to 20mg and have been there ever since. My life completely changed, I didn't realize what a hold the anxiety had on me. I will never be without my Celexa and the Dr. said I could stay on it forever, it won't hurt me. I wished I would have listened to my Dr. 30 years ago when he suggested an SSRI for the anxiety, it would have spared me so many years of being inside the walls of anxiety.

April 19, 2015 8:06 AM

Review by Melsie (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

After years of suffering from ever-worsening anxieties, I finally told my Dr & she prescribed 20mg of Citalopram. I noticed w/in the first 20 mins or so of taking it I got super drowsy & dizzy. I have vertigo, & it kind of felt like that, but with the added drowsiness. This lasted for about a week & then stopped. The drowsiness only came back after I drank alcohol, but even that side effect has since stopped. My family remarked how happy & like myself again I was after about 2 weeks & that's when I realized it was helping. I did notice that I couldn't seem to shut up, I had an increase in energy, loss of appetite, excess sweating/sensitivity to heat, lost 25 lbs, had mood swings & extra trouble sleeping. I still feel way better now, though!

April 14, 2015 3:37 PM

Review by thirty (taken for less than 1 month):

I stopped after a week due to significantly decreased libido; I'm giving it a few stars because I'm not sure if it would have eventually helped my anxiety and depression since I wasn't on it long enough.

April 14, 2015 2:05 PM

Review by yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains.

April 10, 2015 1:20 AM

Review by Hajoba:

After having a heart attack at 55 years of age, I was prescribed citalopram. My only regret is that I didn't start taking it 30 years earlier. It has made stresses much easier to handle for me, and me much easier on my family. I think they should put it in drinking water (just kidding.)

April 8, 2015 6:49 PM

Review by 32y female (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 11:33 AM

Review by Shannon-chan (taken for less than 1 month):

So I started taking about a week ago, because I have severe anxiety and ADHD as well as OCD, and at first it was miserable, I couldn't read or think straight, it felt like I was in a dream I was in a daze and I was so light headed, i had a terrible dry mouth with the most awful headache, and I felt sleepy, and sluggish, even passed out while getting dressed. I did have better concentration, and overall felt calmer but it has seriously drained me out of alot of other emotions. A week later I am still tired, but I'm not falling asleep during everyday tasks. I can think straight, though I still get light headed and dry mouth, I feel calmer and more relaxed though, and I can focus. My emotions are here and there though, not really constant.

March 30, 2015 12:58 PM

Review by gator 13:

I was given this due to the anxiety side effects from other meds I've have to take. My doc said 20 mg at bed time. I've taken it 2 nights I won't take it any longer. It turned an anxiety attack into 2 all day attacks. Supper jittery, very uneasy, on edge, guts won't stop rolling and every little stressful thought gets my heart pounding.

March 19, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by kraw:

I had just starting taking citalopram for About 3 days and I can already tell what a difference I feel! I had such such horrible anxiety! Every time I would think of something that was putting stress in my life, my heart would hurt! Now..... I don't feel anything hurt at all. ..well.... not nearly as bad at least. I know this medicine takes couple weeks to feel full effect, but I can tell a big difference already only on day 3, 20mg! :)

March 16, 2015 3:50 PM

Review by FloridaGrl:

Started citalopram two and a half weeks ago for anxiety and stress. First few days felt a little strange, but the anxiety decreased from the first day of taking it. I'm really impressed how much better I've been feeling all around. Stupid little things that use to erk me don't have an effect on me anymore. I feel more like I'm living in the moment rather than worrying about the future or things that could happen. I was worried about being a zombie or losing my personality, but I actually feel more outgoing and happy because I'm not nervous and tense. I wanted to share my experience because when my Dr. first prescribed it to me, I was to scared to take it. But after reading others reviews I was brave enough to try it and I'm so glad I did!

March 16, 2015 8:29 AM

Review by Useless Tablets:

I've been on Citalopram for 5 months now and it hasn't helped me at all. I haven't had any bad side effects to show it's actually working, and I haven't had any improvement with my anxiety and depression.

March 15, 2015 9:30 PM

Review by Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication made me feel like I wasn't real and I lost 6 weeks of my life while on it, hoping it would work. It did help with anxiety because I felt nothing and had no energy. Would not recommend at all if you need energy. Did not make me physically sick like Zoloft though, which had similar effects.

March 13, 2015 2:16 PM

Review by hannahcroftie:

Hi, I'm female from UK, age 16. I was on fluoxetine for a while and whilst at first it helped with my moods but after a few months I didn't really get much out of it, anxiety and depression wise. A few months ago I was switched to citalopram and I can say it has been an absolute lifesaver. I suffer from extreme sensitivity and most stressful situations get me extremely anxious . I'm not having a good time with school ATM but I'm generally feeling like I can cope with it, and that I don't spiral off into mania and anxiety anymore when something bad happens. I have minimal symptoms of anxiety anymore, with heart fluttering, tummy ache and shaking almost gone when I should feel anxious. My moods have improved greatly and I love this meds.

March 13, 2015 9:22 AM

Review by jlskpk:

Celexa (citalopram): Celexa gave me my life back! I was going through a hard time and slowly but surely hit a wall with depression and anxiety and wasn't able to handle it. I wasn't sleeping or even able to eat, I felt alone and so far from myself. I'd never been on an antidepressant before so Celexa was the first and I had looked up all the side effects and was really scared to take it. Don't let the side effects or horror stories fool you. This medicine does help, it takes time to see the results but it does help.

March 5, 2015 11:07 PM

Review by TheUndertakerswife (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Celexa (citalopram): DO NOT STOP taking this because you feel better. Husband been on this three years felt better stopped taking and passed out on the kitchen floor ended up in hospital did not remember not taking this so after a crap load of test and thousands of dollars it came down to the fact he stopped taking celexa and was detoxing to not try this scared the crap out of both of us. I thought I was going to have. To commit him to a mental hospital

March 2, 2015 5:30 PM

Review by Jools_1:

I was reluctant to take any antidepressant, thinking I could cope and would 'snap out of it'. Feeling like my life was spiralling out of control, panic attacks daily and increased depression, I gave Citalopram a go. Initially I had headaches, and still have a dry mouth at times. No other side effects. Within a week an overwhelming sense of calmness took over. I find it difficult to get angry, and life is so much better. Panic attacks are non existent and I now have my life back and feel great. The change is amazing. I wish I had taken Citalopram months ago.

February 11, 2015 12:50 AM