Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Citalopram review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Citalopram to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by gator 13:

I was given this due to the anxiety side effects from other meds I've have to take. My doc said 20 mg at bed time. I've taken it 2 nights I won't take it any longer. It turned an anxiety attack into 2 all day attacks. Supper jittery, very uneasy, on edge, guts won't stop rolling and every little stressful thought gets my heart pounding.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by kraw:

I had just starting taking citalopram for About 3 days and I can already tell what a difference I feel! I had such such horrible anxiety! Every time I would think of something that was putting stress in my life, my heart would hurt! Now..... I don't feel anything hurt at all. ..well.... not nearly as bad at least. I know this medicine takes couple weeks to feel full effect, but I can tell a big difference already only on day 3, 20mg! :)

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 3:50 PM

Review by Useless Tablets:

I've been on Citalopram for 5 months now and it hasn't helped me at all. I haven't had any bad side effects to show it's actually working, and I haven't had any improvement with my anxiety and depression.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 9:30 PM

Review by Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication made me feel like I wasn't real and I lost 6 weeks of my life while on it, hoping it would work. It did help with anxiety because I felt nothing and had no energy. Would not recommend at all if you need energy. Did not make me physically sick like Zoloft though, which had similar effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2015 2:16 PM

Review by Jools_1:

I was reluctant to take any antidepressant, thinking I could cope and would 'snap out of it'. Feeling like my life was spiralling out of control, panic attacks daily and increased depression, I gave Citalopram a go. Initially I had headaches, and still have a dry mouth at times. No other side effects. Within a week an overwhelming sense of calmness took over. I find it difficult to get angry, and life is so much better. Panic attacks are non existent and I now have my life back and feel great. The change is amazing. I wish I had taken Citalopram months ago.

February 11, 2015 12:50 AM

Review by cakes232:

Celexa (citalopram): I've only been on Celexa for 5 days. I understand that this will not be an entirely accurate review of the medicine, because it takes about 4 weeks to get the full effect, but my experience is worth sharing for those just starting. Reason for being prescribed: -anxiety associated with emotional stress -depression (seasonal) -inability to sleep due to anxiety -panic attacks (only about 5 in a 2 month period) Days 1-2: 10 mg - felt awful. I felt anxious, foggy-headed, weird... Day 3: I was quiet, but full of energy. Some trouble sleeping (woke up in the middle of the night) Day 4: Tired because I didn't sleep well that night. Midday exhaustion. Somewhat antisocial. Still "myself" though. Day 5: General good mood, positive. Productive.

February 2, 2015 5:01 PM

Review by MonicaK (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 26 years old and have been suffering from health anxiety. Every time something hurts or I get a gas bubble in my chest I think I'm dying and will have a panic attack for hours. It was putting a strain on my life in everyday possible so I sucked it up and went to the Dr. Also, I have a fear of taking meds so this wasn't easy. I decided to take my 10mgs at night after reading about drowsiness, yet I do not get drowsy. The morning after my first pill I woke up with what felt like a terrible cold that only lasted till the next day. I was sneezing like mad which is something I never do. I know the Dr. said it would take weeks to work but I'm telling you I feel great. The things that once terrified me now have no power over me.

January 31, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by Anna1238 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I can't say a bad word about citalopram because it worked well for me. I quit smoking and was so happy, started going to yoga. After couple months I had to stop taking it because had a horrible rash and sexual dysfunction obviously...I wasn't happy about it and my boyfriend thought that it's his fault.

January 30, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Fizzletots (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): It works well for anxiety. Difficult to orgasm, get really sleepy if I drink (esp. Scotch/liquor), but other than that definitely more chill. Sleeping better, chest pain I was having from anxiety has virtually disappeared after 6 weeks on 20mg. Going to keep on it for 6 months then taper & reevaluate. Gained 10lbs and liking carbs more. Seems related to the meds.

January 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by zillafish (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): I suffer from anxiety, OCD, bipolar, and depression. This medication has made me sluggish and slow because of that I have gained weight which has just added to the stress and anxiety. It has done nothing for me. My anxiety is still intruding on my life. My OCD is not being helped because my anxiety is not being dealt with.

January 29, 2015 4:58 AM

Review by Sales guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Absolutely changed my life. Sleeping habits greatly improved. Sudden stress disappeared. Sense of calmness I haven't had in decades returned.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by ronmon06:

Celexa (citalopram): I had to start taking Celexa after my mom died 4 years ago and I must say it worked for me. Well my dad died last July and my stress shot out of the roof and my doctor added buspirone and I took it until I felt better and then I quit all my anxiety medicines altogether back in December thinking I got this. Well I had a week long anxiety attack that landed me in the ER. Don't stop taking your medicines just because you feel good. Now I have to start all over again but I will be better now.

January 26, 2015 6:47 AM

Review by grassmunchy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I've just started this, I've taken 2 doses and I know it's supposed to take a couple of weeks to start to work, but I can already feel a difference.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 11:51 AM

Review by NJP817:

About 2 months on citalopram, starting taking it for headaches and anxiety attacks caused by stress from work, college, and a lot of life changes at once. Wasted a month refusing to take it because I was "too good for medication like this" and because of the horror stories I'd read. After a couple weeks it helped soooo much, I could have my life back without the constant worry of where and when I would have anxiety attacks. I can finally have relaxing evenings at home. No problems other than slight drowsiness the first few days and a lot of sexual dysfunction the first couple weeks.

January 22, 2015 11:04 PM

Review by doggies (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): I had to quit smoking, and was deep in the throes of everything mental. Called my doctor, and he prescribed Celexa...one-half pill (20 mg). I was furious! Half a pill? They either didn't have any idea what I was dealing with, or didn't care. I griped, but I started that night, with my little `1/2 pill. The next day I didn't even think about a cigarette until I realized I hadn't thought about them! I love Celexa.

January 18, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Bettsann (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram): I just started taking 10mg Celexa the evening of Jan 14, took another one same time next night. Next morning I was miserably sick. Nausea, more wretching than vomiting, weak, headachey, all over sick feeling... This was like (but this time much worse) the reaction I had when I started Prozac. Dr. agreed that my first bad reaction WAS to the Prozac, called yesterday and said I won't take more Celexa. I am done with SSRI's. I am wondering if anyone else has had this same reaction...

January 17, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Ser85 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): I was on this for a little over a year and all it did was make me gain 30 pounds. I started taking it for anxiety and it helped, but then I became very depressed. It also made me crave carbs..hence the 30 lb weight gain. I'm on Cymbalta now and doing SO much better.

January 12, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by Gkmason:

Celexa (citalopram): I really didn't know I had a problem with anxiety until I started this medication for a bout of situational depression (my husband leaving me while I was deployed), and as soon as I started taking it, it was like all of the horrible cloudiness that kept me awake every night, that I dubiously named depression, completely subsided. I had had anxiety all along, and probably my entire life. I have been using Celexa (5mg) on and off for a few years now, when things seem to just spiral out of my control, and it has been wonderful, and worked perfectly every time, immediately, with no side effects. I am beyond thankful.

December 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by JudeClint:

Celexa (citalopram): I started Celexa in July and within a few weeks those closest to me remarked on the difference how much happier and less angry I seemed. I felt less overwhelmed by stress and felt happier. The change had been subtle from my viewpoint, and it wasn't until after my doctor suggested a change in medicine, I realized how much it helped me. Within days I noticed my irritability had returned and within a couple weeks I felt as if I weren't taking anything at all. I asked my doctor to return me to Celexa. Side effects I've noticed: initial nausea, jittery (especially with the addition of caffeine), vivid dreams, weight loss (15 pounds since July).

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Jillybean1979:

Celexa (citalopram): Day 4 of Celexa & WOW my negative thoughts, constant worry & irritation have almost vanished! I'm taking 10mg a day and am amazed at how quickly I feel this medicine working. I have had some bad headaches, dizziness & a little nausea but that's about it & totally worth it for the difference I'm feeling. I feel like life is worth living again. Thank you Celexa!

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by joanmredd:

Celexa (citalopram): I have suffered from panic attacks for about 12 years. Because I have a brother who became addicted to xanax and ended up detoxing in a hospital I have been afraid of all medication. After a major scare concerning a health issue I found I could no longer ignore the consequences of the attacks. I have lost 20 lbs in 5 years and am now very underweight. I had no appetite and dreaded meals. I started taking Celexa 3 weeks ago and the change is amazing. I still wake up in the middle of the night and I do have very vivid dreams. However, now when I wake up and do not go into a panic attack. I am eating 3 meals a day. The only side effects I have are headaches and constipation. I would recommend this medicine.

December 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Review by Joey from Loueeezziana:

Celexa (citalopram): I got on Celexa about 5 months ago. The reason was stress. I went to the doctor for a routine physical after turning 30. He was going through a checklist of questions and when 'stress' came up I was like absolutely. Just married, new house, new baby, trying to elevate myself in the professional world --- all wonderful stuff but challenging and stressful. He prescribed Celexa to "take the edge off." It did just that. Nothing major, but you can feel it for the first few weeks. You're just a little more chill. It makes it difficult to get angry (i.e. road rage never happens). I took it a few months then I stopped. Didn't notice any side effects from getting off it. Didn't feel it anymore after a few months anyway.

December 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram): My doctor put me on Celexa when I started having tension headaches from severe stress. The headaches were gone after a week of taking the medication. A week later, I started tripping over my own feet & my pharmacist told me the medication was to blame. My stress was absolutely more manageable, though!

December 7, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by anxiousaf (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram): Took this for about a year and it was highly effective. Boosted my mood and rid of most my anxiety in just a week of starting it. Only thing was it made me sick at first but I switched to taking it at night and I was fine! I'd recommend Celexa over anything.

December 1, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by kavsp:

Celexa (citalopram): I started this medication 2 1/2 years ago it has worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away. I used to have panic attacks that would last for hours and hours I thought I was loosing my mind. This made me feel normal again I hadn't had an actual anxiety attack in over 2 years. Thank you Celexa.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:51 PM