User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 40 medications

5.5
Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1041 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "I've suffered from dysthymia and depression for years but never knew what I could do about it as my insurance does not cover mental health. I finally askedy gp if she had any suggestions and she informed me that Walmart has some $4 generics. So she put me on citalopram 20mg. The difference in the beginning was definitely a step in the right direction. 6 weeks later she bumped me up to 40mg. The change was amazing. Not only did I notice a difference in my attitude, my energy levels, my overall mood, so did others. My depression had impacted my work and personal life severely. People remarked how much they notice I've changed. I tried switching to Paxil at one point but that was awful. I went back to Celexa and that's where I'm staying!"

Mck240 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "i have tried almost all SSRI that are commonly used and celexa works just like all the rest of them. It makes me feel out of it like I'm not really here and makes me extremely tired I sleep about 4 hours a day. It does help with some of my anxiety not all of it and it does help with anger"

Cmcm May 24, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "18 months ago I was given prozac for depression and anxiety, which made me feel like a zombie, so the doctor changed to citalopram. I looked online and read that it would be very likely that I would feel worse before I feel better. I was given 20mg and felt terrible for about 3 weeks but knew I had to see it through as I had been on the verge of suicide previously. After about a month I suddenly felt like there was hope. This lasted a few weeks but then I felt the depression/ anxiety returning. Over the next couple of months my dosage was put up to 40 mg and this turned out to be the right dose for me.I specifically just waking up one day and feeling different, like my head was just free from worry and I was thinking happy thoughts."

catmagcash May 19, 2016

For Depression: "I have severe anxiety and depression. The last month I've had a bout of insomnia, it's been horrible. I went on welbutrin about a Month ago, Bad idea for me, it was one of the worst meds I've been on. I also wasn't myself, did a couple regrettable things, and was almost hit by a car on my bike! I've now been on citalopram for 3 days and I already feel better, also I was on effector for 7 years, it helped but it was tough to get off of, and I always had brain zaps.. and it stopped working. Also I take 10 mg of valium twice a day, and the combo seems to work well for me, they even each other out. . . Life has been very difficult, I shake so much I can't even write a letter.. I'm hoping things get better, don't feel alone ppl. We can do it!"

Jake blaze May 16, 2016

For Depression: "I was very depressed after experiencing loss of two family members within 2 weeks. Started citalopram 10mg once a day for a week then went to 20 mg once a day. The first week, there was no change in me. The second week was much better. I was always a quiet , non talkative person but now I speak a lot more and am more sociable (which I don't really care to be) but considering the alternative... This drug definitely helped with the depression. I've only been on it a little over 3 weeks now. I did experience side effects such as headaches, not being able to fall asleep, and I'm very jumpy...a small noise or whatever will startle me. But I'll gladly put up with those for the relief this drug has given me."

Nickchar May 10, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "this worked in beginning-then gave me insomnia, restless leg syndrome, shakes and more angry. It could no longer take it ,I had to get off."

lisamariemarie May 10, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "My doctor prescribed Citalopram to deal with my anxiety, after nearly 2 weeks of taking them I'm feeling a lot less stressed and calmer with every day life and children (girls 15 & 9). The only down side I've experienced is that I am quite lethargic/sleepy but that maybe down to me being off work and having that chilling out time on my own at home. Citalopram has definitely put me back on track in my own frame of mind."

43hormonalfemale (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "On day 3 of taking this med. prompted by my Mrs to seek help as mr grumpy was at large. Taken away my anxiety instantly, but is leaving me drowsy with a foggy head, plus sweating a lot more. I'm on 10 mg and shall stick it out as I believe symptoms will ease after a week or so"

Geraint (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I take 20 mg of Celexa and 300 of Welbutrin. When I don't take them, I'm much more irritable. I can still feel sadness and happiness, I just feel level somehow. If you stop cold turkey, it causes nausea, for me anyways, and i can tell I feel different off them. Still have some obsessive tendencies but overall, I wouldn't want to not take them."

Melmoe May 7, 2016

For Depression: "I have been taking Citalopram for over a year now, and at first once the medication began taking full affect, it was amazing. My anxiety, quickness to anger, and deep extended depression periods were lessoned. Now like a few have said on this blog, I have lost motivation, I feel like my body craves more sleep in addition to change in my sleeping habits, and I have also gained weight. I feel I have gained weight due to my physical inactivity, which is an effect of not being motivated to be active. I also have trouble concentrating on my everyday tasks and I do experience daily 'fogs' while trying to remain focused. I was taking Wellbutrin to try to counteract that lost "good anxiety" but stopped because it was interacting too much w/the Cit."

Micky Carr (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was on celexa for about 3 months, started with 10 mg. and raised up to 20 when I felt no changes. After going up to 20, i felt constantly tired, drowsy and like a walking zombie. My anxiety and depression only got worse, it caused me to have thoughts of suicide and self harm and I just felt worse overall. My experience on celexa was terrible and I would not recomend this drug at all."

Joycee222 May 6, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I started taking this after resisting medication for acute depression. I'm going through a life changing situation that won't last forever so I am hoping my time on this med will be limited to just a year. This is day 3 of 10mg. My only complaint is that I seem to have to poo constantly (not diarrhea). I'm worried about the libido issue and not enough time has passed for me to know if it'll become a problem. I seem to take longer to fall asleep and feel that I'm sleeping much lighter than before. Every little sound or movement from my husband wakes me. Other than that it's been positive. Yesterday I was actually a little bit giddy. I haven't been like that in over a year. It felt nice."

Lessie McL May 4, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "It's very good, I'm on 10mg now. I used to take it couple of years ago, and felt much better, so after 2 years I stopped taking it. Now again I felt very anxious, and after one week on citalopram it's much easier for me to socialize. No more need for hydroxizine or valium. The only one side effect is I can not "finish" if you know what I mean;)"

Scared1957 May 3, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have extremely bad anxiety and it makes me panic daily and depression, Before this drug i have tried so many other ones that did nothing at all! I was giving up hope on finding something that would work for me until my doctor prescribed me this. I started out low at first but im now on 20mg and even when i started low it did wonders, I use to not be able to talk about it without panicking but within a week after taking it i could actually talk about it and think straight. Thinking back before i was on it to where im at now its like a who new world, I defenitely recommend this."

sarah0927712497 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started 10 mg Citalopram 8 days ago and although they said it would take 2 weeks to really work I started to feel better the first day! Minor nausea the first couple times I took it but it went away quick. This stuff has changed my life. Helped me quit smoking. It's so strange being able to walk around and interact in public without anxiety. Improved my sleep overall however you will probably want to make sure you are active during the day because it takes a little more time to fall asleep. Wonderful Medication, wish I started it much sooner."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on citalopram for about 4 years. I recently went off for about a month and decided to go back on. For me the withdrawal was not bad, what I noticed was a major increase in agitation. I have started back on and remembering the wonderful effects of starting over. Most of the bad effects end after a few days or so, the rest after a month or so. I'm back on day 3 and feel like crap, but I know it's almost over. The main problem with anxiety meds is that you are giving them to people with anxiety. The off feeling turns to worry, which leads to heart palpitations, and pretty soon you are on this site looking at reviews. I would/am going into this with the idea that the drug is totally safe but will make you feel like crap."

Bobbiegfd April 29, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had been suffering from depression and anxiety for years, in 2014 was put on to sertraline and felt better for a few months until the symptoms returned. A year later the doctor doubled my dose and things started to calm down again. I've recently been to have a review of my medication and was put on to 10mg citalopram. I can't describe how much this has had a positive effect on my life, from day 3 of taking it my palpitations had gone, the sweats & faint feelings had disappeared. It really is an amazing medication if it works well for you."

Emma1984D (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "To deal with menopausal symptoms: stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia, I tried paxil and prozac. Not a good result: both very heavy duty - you FEEL drugged. With prozac I was drooling and I didn't even know it; with paxil, I felt dull-witted and thick, like a beached whale. But the 3rd time was a charm: I tried Celexa and it worked almost immediately. I felt calmer, not depressed and I slept like a baby. For me it's the best. the only side effect is one 1/2 hour after taking it I feel nauseous for a few minutes. small price to pay."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I suffered from severe panic attacks and OCD, particularly checking. I have been on 20 mg of Celexa for 7 years and am a new person. I have never had a side effect and handle stress with ease. I still engage in some "checking," but have been panic attack-free and lost many of my other OCD behaviours."

CheckLess April 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on this medication for 17 years im on 20mg I was on 60mg 40mg and now I weened down to 20mg this medication is really good. I never had any problems with it. Good Luck"

indigogirl (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Weight loss, insomnia, nausea, loss of appetite. EXTREMELY irritable. Sweaty palms. NO THANK YOU."

Anonymous April 21, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started on citalopram in September 2015 as I had extremely anxiety, causing me to feel depressed. I started on 10mg after 4 weeks I went to 20mg and after 4 months on 20mg I went to 30mg. It's been so fantastic. It did take longer than 4 weeks for optimal effect, I'd say for me I started feeling better around week 9-10, but it's helped no end. I worry less, process irrational thoughts better and anxiety has reduced 90%. Give it time, I truly believe if my gp had changed my medication on all my earlier visits where I was convinced it wasn't working, I would be worse off than I am now. Also engage with therapy."

Nai1234 April 20, 2016

For Depression: "At first, 20mg of Citalopram snapped me out of my depression and angriness in a couple of days. It was like "Magic!" I felt great. This is the 1st med I have ever really taken for anything at 56 yrs old. Now that I have been on it for almost 2 years, I must have built up a tolerance for it or something. I also have been noticing for a while now that there are side effects described by people on here that I have been experiencing. No libido, and not even caring about it. Mental fog, loss of awareness of surroundings, especially when driving. Up and down days of depression, some increased irritation with people and situations. This drug helps, but I don't want to keep feeling like this. Need to try something else."

joe2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

For Depression: "I cannot believe that this medication has genuinely helped me to start turning my life around. I didn't recognise exactly how low I had become. I went to my GP following six months of extreme anxiety due to work stresses, and after a lengthy consultation and blood tests was prescribed citalopram 10mg. I experienced some nausea, mild headaches and an increase in my anxiety after a week. So I revisited the GP and my dose was increased to 20mg.I had minimal side effects for a couple of days and then I felt myself becoming calmer, even of mood and generally enjoying the little things that I had stopped enjoying. I feel confident and happy - even in social situations I would normally avoid. I am smiling again."

Elkay007 April 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been prescribed Citalopram for the 4th time but have started my dose at only 5mg as I get so many bad side effects but the good news is, this is this really works 100% for me once I get used to it! I only wish I had not listened to my doctor who kept tapering me off it but always gave me Zopiclone or Lorazepam to help, only my new GP won't give me either so this is tough right now. Only on day 3 but remember how I was able to lead a completely normal life once the medication worked. A small price to pay in the end have been ill for almost a year now trying different medication but decided it was tie to go with the one that truly works despite how horrible the start up effects might be ."

williamsmom (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016