User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 679 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Synchroduv (taken for 10 years or more):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a 40 year old male that has taken Celexa for about 10 years now for aniexty. I take 40mg once a day. It works well to manage my anxiety. With the higher dose I take it can cause nausea for me if taken on an empty stomach. I also get sleepy for an hour or two after taking it so I take it at bed time. The only issue I've had is forgetting to take or running out of this medication. The withdrawl is pretty bad after about 4 days of not taking causing anxiety, dizziness, brain fog, "brain zaps", insomnia and flu like symptoms. Celexa has worked very well for me and would recommend it for treating anxiety. Just don't suddenly stop taking it. You have to slowly ween off.

October 31, 2014 2:01 AM

Review by stressedoutnurse (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was too proud at first to try a medicine, but I'm so glad I did. It changed my life. My stress and anxiety stay managable and no major side effects except minor fatigue.

October 29, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by JJen_rose57:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Simply put a "MIRACLE".

October 17, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Celexa has changed my life in 5 days! Thanks to a doctor who finally understood what was wrong with me after suffering excruciating physical pain for at least 10 or more years. I feel lIke a new person. Have had more energy in the last 5 days than I have for 5 years! Suffering from some insomnia but I am sure that will go away. - 51 year old female

October 16, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by chriwa (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking 5 MG's of Celexa and 1.mg Xanax for a year now and have found great relief from anxiety and sleep problems. Im very sensitive to medication thus the low dosages. My doctor has no problem combining the two meds for me. Life is much better without anxiety. Perfect for me.

October 9, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by Lisabel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Started Celexa a month ago. At first, tremors, dry mouth, shaking, and dead libido. After a week, my jaw was petrified, my teeth hurt, was always biting my tongue. My energy was gone. Was sleeping 9hrs at night, and 3-4 hrs nap in the afternoon. I was a zombie. I just switch to Wellbutrin, and I pray for better results.

October 8, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by all that jazz (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: After holding on to the medication for about 3 weeks I couldn't believe the results after just one day and literally felt the effects hours after I took the medication. I did experience side effects far as the nausea, diarrhea, headache and dizziness but I found out after taking it the second day that it was only because I hadn't eaten before Celexa. I really see the difference I'm no longer stressed and depressed I do feel the difference and it's a really great medication. I was so iffy about taking depression anxiety medication however I'm so glad that I did.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Ericey:

For Panic Disorder: To Nick. Please do not quit taking Citalopram. Keep taking it at 20mg and ensure you do relaxation exercises along with CBT and the symptoms will ease

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 2:08 PM

Review by KeeksterReekster (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I was finally diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety last week. I have been suffering since childhood, but only recently obtained help. The doctors prescribed me Celexa. I've been on it for a few days now and I feel a noticeable difference. I wonder if that's even possible; I've read everywhere that it takes several weeks to notice some changes. Placebo effect maybe? Anyways, I appreciate having a more positive outlook on life and I even found the side effect (lightheadedness) a tad pleasant.

September 29, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Ella Sue:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Have been taking this for 2 weeks, and the positive effects were immediate for me. I did have some initial side effects such as dry mouth (lasted a few days), and change in bowel movement (getting better ), yawning a lot first 3-5 days, better now. The impact it has had on me has been nothing but GREAT. I had a lot of areas of stress in my life from family to work, and the anxiety made me feel my heart was going to jump out of my chest! Now, those little things don't worry me, and I've been able to let go of personal struggles that were holding me down, including a broken heart! This has let me be myself again, and most of all to enjoy life again!!

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by New woman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: This medication has changed my life. I am bipolar so I take it with my Trileptal (mood stabilizer). I've been searching for the right medicine combination for 10 years and I've never felt better. I started Celexa 6 weeks ago and It took about a month to feel it working. I had headaches and stomach problems but all that has subsided. I am free from the debilitating anxiety I've dealt with my entire life. I feel a sense of hope and happiness I never thought possible for me. I recommend this to anyone who struggles with anxiety, obsessive thoughts, low energy, stress sensitive or depressed. It's truly been a God send.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 2:20 AM

Review by bill71:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Celexa since January of this year and the medicine has been awesome. Stress, anxiety and panic attack free. Celexa gave me my life back. I was scared to take it at first because of all the stuff I read on the Internet. My advice to anyone starting any SSRI is not to read all the horror stories on the internet. It will just make it worse, believe me. All I can say is I never want to go back to the way it was. That being said if I have to take Celexa the rest of my life so be it.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Stressing (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: 53 year old male. I had anxiety for years and been on Citalopram for about 6 weeks and the only side affects I had was a dry mouth and a little sweaty one or two nights. I noticed that it was cutting the anxiety in the first day or 2. I’m on 20mg’s. Some people report that they feel detached or floaty and I want to say that to. But after thinking about it for awhile. That is the way I feel when I can get myself pumped up to work on something and shelf the anxiety for long enough and block it out and get something done unhindered by it. I think that the environment inside my head just feels odd, without the anxious background chatter and it might take a while to adapt to that.

September 20, 2014 5:48 PM

Review by tryingmybest1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm a 40 year old single fulltime working mother & for the last 9 years have been on 3 different antidepressants after the death of one of my Children & a few of lifes other nasty things that just make life unbearable. Firstly was on Lovan which eventaully stopped being effective then switched to Lexapro which worked very well for a number of years & then in June this year was having major Depression, Anxiety & Suicidal thoughts so was put onto 50mg of Pristiq. For 3 months I lived in hell. It was by far the WORST medication for me so my Doctor has this week switched me to Citalopram (20mg). Today I feel about 1000% better than I have for most of this year. I know it's only early days but I am feeling very hopeful that my Doctor & I may have found THE ONE!! (Fingers crossed!)

September 11, 2014 2:11 AM

Review by tacjam:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: AMAZING.....after 1 week I could sleep, all panic attacks, seating, fear of dying, heart racing stopped. Have never been better.

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I had the same experience as the last post, had been in a state of worsening depression for months, about 2 days after starting Celexa it was like I snapped out of it, and the last four months has been a bad dream. I too worry that its to much to fast, its supposed to take weeks at least, however apparently for some patients and there's no real reason for it, do experience notable improvements within days, the working theory are those with more manic like depression are more apt to it working in shorter terms but its not really known why.

September 9, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by psugirl2030:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have had anxiety for over ten years. 2 years ago I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety. I tried Luvox, Prozac, and now I am taking Celexa. The first did not do much for me and the Prozac made me feel like I was out of my body and gave me really bad side effects. Celexa is amazing I am taking 20mg 2x daily. Highly recommend!

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by billabcdefg246 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was given 10mg and a week later he went up to 20mg. So far I have had constant yawning, sweating attacks, nausea and now diarrhea. I also have problems sleeping at night and this made me tired in afternoon, but I now split dose, 1 before bed and one when I get up...that has helped the symptoms and they are less bothersome now. The sweating is the worst, I ordered Odaban and it is wonderful! You can even apply it to your face and head and that is where I sweat. I have not have any more feelings of doom and gloom and excessive worrying. I feel like I am getting back to normal but it's been 2 weeks and I'm not there yet. So I guess so far so good.

September 2, 2014 11:56 PM

Review by cdmf:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm a 25 year old female and my doctor prescribed Celexa to help me manage my anxiety. I've been on it just shy of 3 months. I started with 10 mg and increased to 20 mg after about 2 weeks. My initial side effects were dry mouth, decreased appetite, sleepiness and low libido. The first few nights I was on Celexa I also found myself suddenly waking up in the middle of the night in a panic. This also happened after my dose was increased. After almost 3 months on Celexa, all the side effects have disappeared, except my sex drive is completely non-existent. Overall I feel very relaxed and my anxiety symptoms have significantly decreased.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by jmpatton (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have taken 4 doses of Celexa thus far. I noticed changes about 24 hours in. Prior to starting I was very out of it, sad, withdrawn, had urges to hurt myself, no appetite, nausea/vomiting, anxiety, etc. I saw my doctor for my worsening depression and she added Celexa to my other meds (Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Geodon). I had been on that combination and the same dosages since May 2014. My boss noticed major negative changes since May. Today I am a little dizzy and nauseous, but otherwise, feeling much better, which is weird. I am not used to this feeling. I was worried this was too drastic of a change because it had been only 24 hours, but after reading other reviews, I am optimistic.

August 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by Billa420 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: So I was severely depressed for over a year for a very stupid reason. I wouldn't leave my house, my condition was very bad. I was having panic, anxiety, suffering etc. So, I decided to start this medicine. Would say comparing to Zoloft this is much better, my initial days were horrible I could not sleep and it took about 3 weeks for me to start feeling better. But after a month of use, even though I was sleeping well, I noticed during the days I had very little energy and felt very lazy. So I decided to quit rather than increase dose. After a month and half use I quit cold turkey and am feeling much better and don't feel any withdrawal symptoms, hope this helps.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by ChangingMeds03 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I took Celexa (citalopram) for about 8yrs. I started at 20mg dose and worked up to 40mg over the yrs. I found I was happier in the summer, and with my doctor's help would decrease my dose for a bit, but in winter I'd bump it back up again. Mood wise, Celexa did wonders for me. I was able to live happily for yrs. Missing a day or two was hell, between the brain zaps and bouts of crying I was a mess. The downsides: my libido disappeared. COMPLETELY. Gone. I used to have a very healthy sexual appetite. I also gained about 60lbs while taking this pill. I can't blame it all on the pill, but it didn't help. Overall it was a great mood enhancer, but take it with warning.

August 21, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Lise71:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: This is my 12th day on Citalopram and already I am noticing a difference. I was on Effexor for over a year and it was okay but started getting really anxious and having panics attacks all over again, more frequent, and also really sad a lot, so decided to talk to my doctor about switching. He said "Citalopram is my go-to medicine, and it's a lot cleaner than most." I love reading the positive reviews. It gives me high hopes. The first week I did feel a bit off but I know you just have to wait it out and things will look up. So far so good! Good luck everyone!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Sylaethas:

For Trichotillomania: I haven't had eyelashes since I was five years old, and I am thirty years old now. I Started taking citalopram in June and haven't pulled an eyelash since - I am actually having to get used to the experience of having therm in my field of vision!!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate