User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Occipital Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 813 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Week1 dizziness, nausea, no appetite, foggy feeling, stomach growling. Week 2 same as before plus sweating, bad GERD,and insomnia. Almost stopped but decided to stick it out. Week 3 everything slowly disappeared. Now on week 4, much calmer, lost weight about 8 lbs, blood pressure dropped to normal readings, I have more energy now I am walking everyday, still feel like myself, not numb like some reported . Reason started was I had 2 deaths in a month and was losing it. In the past I have tried Prozac, lexapro, effexor, Zoloft and many others nothing has worked as well as celexa. My advice give it time, be patient . Like many things it's worth waiting for. Good Luck to all!!"

1happiergirl July 5, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I found myself struggling with the day to day after my partner's gambling addiction reared its head once more & couldn't keep it together to move us forward again. Put simply, the Citalopram let me keep it together. I could see solutions to problems, I could recognise blips for what they were & not the end of the world, I stopped constantly churning the negatives around in my head. I still had depth of emotion - when sad things happened, I was sad - but was able to be rational about the choices I could make. I was on 20mg a day for just over a year, weaned off to 10mg a day then every other day & am now off it. My life problems are still there but Citalopram gave me the kick start I needed to stop crying & live."

glitterpuss (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on 60mg of citalopram for the past year to treat panic and anxiety disorders. At first I was pleased that the medication seemed to be working but after a while I was feeling lethargic, tired and numbed. Not myself. I want to go off it but I am scared of what the side effects might be. I definitely don't want the panic attacks back but I feel that I am walking around half asleep. I want my normal energetic self back!"

desederia June 25, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've started this medication a week ago, and it works great! For someone who was always nervous over stupid stuff and worried about really nothing... This does help. I was to the point where I couldn't even sit in a car without flipping out or at least having a worry issue. Trust me, try this product. This has saved my life. I was down in the dumps for about a year or so dealing with this issue. This medication helped me a lot! I've watched some videos on YouTube about people and doctors saying "just get over it and get thru it". Yeah- easier said than done... I tried that method for 6 months! Never worked until my doctor prescribed me this! Hope this helped! I understand this med won't work for everyone.... But most of you it will."

Finally relief June 25, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on this medication for only 5 days and although most side effects normally aren't experienced until about 2 weeks after starting a new medication, with me the effects are almost instant as my body reacts to pills differently then most people, with that said, the only side effect I've had has been inability to orgasm what so ever I don't have a need to fake anything with my wife so she knows but it's just very annoying!!! Other then that, anxiety has been pretty good past few days, I generally avoid crowded areas but went to a couple and didn't have any problems so it's been good for me so far this week."

Lawsdeterious (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2015

For Depression: "I have been taking this medication on and off roughly for about 5 years now I think. I take it at night because it helps to shut my brain off and it makes me tired. My anxiety/depression manifests in knee, leg and body pain. I don't necessarily feel anxious or I don't think I am depressed, but obviously there is something there. As soon as I start taking this medicine again I can move. I can do stairs without cringing in pain. Little things in life don't bother me as much. I love it..so maybe this time I will just stay on it. I don't experience the weight gain or the sexual side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I started celexa 2 weeks ago and its been my life saver I had been depressed from my teens and never wanted help I refused I then had my little girl a year half ago become very angry and emotional but was in a bad relationship I was so sure I didn't need help and no pills to make me better about a month ago my partner robbed and left me for another women I became an emotional wreck just cried and cried going inside myself were family and work friends noticed and begged me to go get some help I went to doctors he gave me celexa and another calmer drug lozapam I think and within a few days they worked so much calmer no more crying or suidical thoughts I feel dumb no emotions in some way helped me a lot I feel a lot better person for my child"

Emma Louise June 15, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "For those people considering taking Celexa, I also read other people's reviews and comments. It scared me, as I had never taken anything to cope with this depression that has been low lying for most of my life. I thought I could just cope, but coming from a family of reactive communications, I just thought that's how I was. But then I realized when I'm super stressed I feel myself hyper focused on the problem, and not the solution. My solution was to self soothe with food and give into laziness. I came to the conclusion that maybe if I can find something to smooth out these harsh feelings (edges), I would have the energy to give to myself to get back to gym, make better decisions when I'm stressed."

Necomer (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "50 year old female here. About 10 years I have been on this; it really takes the edge off! Much more calming. Prior, I realized I was slowly becoming my father - irritable, impatient, angry, negative. Little things irritated me. Felt 'rushed' all the time. Got worse as I hit 40-ish. Tried a couple of other anti-anxiety/depressants prior to Citalapram (Celexa), but couldn't handle side effects. Being on Citalapram (20mg), which didn't take long to kick in, I did NOT experience any side effects! And most important (for me), did not reduce my sex drive at all! Yes, still achieve orgasms! Tried to wean myself off it a couple times over the years, and went right back to 'slowly becoming my father'. So I am staying on this."

Lenova2012 June 14, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "When first starting this medicine I thought it was a God send .. The first 5 days I was able to sleep a whole 8 hrs & wake up with energy and I wasn't nervous all the time. I was calm in stressful situations that I normally exploded in so I was happy but on the 6th day I experienced the WORSE panic attack I had ever experienced. I had had a couple of panic attacks before but nothing like this & it lasted hours. I prayed and cried. Called 911. Called my parents I thought my life was over! I read some of the reviews on here and seen how ppl said stick it out it works. So I informed my Doctor and decided to stick it out. I am now nervous all the time having stomach cramps and can't sleep I'm giving it up! I hate these feelings "

Miana (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "This pill saved my life (citalopram.) My life was on 'hold' before. The cumulative torture of my monthly cycle had resulted in a nervous breakdown and I was thinking about suicide. I am fascinated to find out what it is like NOT to suffer (as this was normal for me) the only negative is no sex drive.If you suffer PMDD..try it!"

kim 1234 June 11, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I'm on my third day of Celexa! I have experienced a few side effects such as trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, tightened jaw and grinding my teeth, as well as loss of appetite and feeling as though I might be on cheap MDMA. I do feel as though it is helping with my anxiety because I already feel less stressed and I feel happier than I felt before. I do feel a bit paranoid though, because I read many reviews of people gaining weight so I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible."

Rachel514 June 10, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I had severe depression when we moved from a house I loved in the country to a smaller house I hated by the river in a little suburb that I'd always detested. Celexa works. Most definitely but it works too well. After being on it for 11 years, I became emotionless. I had no feelings either way. It also helped me to put on 50 pounds. At 61, I decided to stop it. I weaned my self off by cutting the pills in half, then in quarters, then none. The side effects are the worst of any medication I've ever experienced....dizziness, SEVERE depression, SEVERE happiness, experiences in my head that I can only describe as "zits" that were instantaneous moments of dizziness or a feeling of a bug "zipping" by your head, fatigue, jitters."

OldOhioian (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Awesome, nothing has worked til now!"

Hurth (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on this for a week. Day 1. Blurred vision and feeling like I'm in the matrix zoned out after 2 hours and severe nausea. I wanted to quit. But it calmed me and I felt unbothered by things what would normally make me cry. I take it at night and wake up with SEVERE anxiety as I had before taking it but I can feel my body trying to compress it. I pray and hope it gives me the happy energetic feeling I need. Right now it's keeping me calm but I still can't get out of the bed"

NotsohappyGoLucky (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "After a tragic death in my family my depression got worse. I did not realize I had depression until this tragedy occurred. I would cry every day to exhaustion -- until I had nothing left -- just a lifeless emptiness. My doctor put me on citalopram and I am on 30mg's/day. I feel so much better!! -- no real highs and no real lows. I have tried to go medication free but it is not meant to be. I will have to be on this for life and I am thankful for this drug."

Anonymous June 5, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Celexa for anxiety and bad stress. My BP was rising very high and couldn't sleep much. I'm now only on my 7 dose of 10 mg and I feel tired but I'm giving this new med time to work. It took me 6 months to safely get off of xanax my doc put me on after a injury in which caused much stress. My BP is now back to normal and I feel good a little tired but unlike other reviews I've read I don't eat as much and now am losing wt. But yes I also "hopefully just for now" have lost some interest in sex and I'm a male and its harder to climax. Think it will all get better but so far this is a good med for me."

Chrisman June 2, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "For years I thought medications could never help me to deal and solve my problems in life, which they can't. That being said my depression, which I never thought I had, was apparently there. My anxiety levels were high and I seemed to be acting out of my own way of thinking. Relationships were getting strained and friends and family seemed to be exiting my life. Once I talked with my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg first and then 20mg after the first week things changed. Granted it took about 3 weeks before I really started to feel such drastic changes in my thinking and my feelings. I started to feel like my old self again, happy, content, laughing with people and enjoying the person who I know is me!!"

The Sizzla (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Menopausal onset Depression, UGH. I would have cried my life away without Celexa. No side effects for me except a normal person again...."

jack mcmick May 31, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Good"

jfrii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have depression and high anxiety, I have had these most of my life but refused treatment. Now having a son of my own I have realized I need to be better for him. I have only been on it a week and have noticed a lot of improvements! I no longer feel upset about my life,I can talk to my child like he should be talked to and not because im stressed and anxious all the time. I have had a few side affects so far. Weird dreams, headaches, muscle spasms, dry mouth, and tiredness. but to feel "normal" is worth it. I final feel like im going to be ok."

LIZZIE IZZY May 27, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "Had extremely intense acute anxiety and panic disorder. For about 4 months. Tried everything in the book except meds - saw about 30% improvement. Then started on meds. No effect until 12th day (in fact, anxiety was stronger) where I felt a small bit of calmness. Side effects were very intense but kept going. Gradually, I kept getting better. There were periods of plateau and sometimes even feelings that it has stopped working. But today, I am on my 49th day (full 7 weeks) and I can say that it is 99.99999% gone. I feel like my old self. No panic attacks, no anxiety (thoughts or bodily sensations) - nothing. I started off 10mg on the first week and then moved onto 20mg. I am still on 20mg."

giligansisland May 26, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "on Citalopram 3 weeks this time (was on it previously for GAD and panic for 3 years, stopped it as I felt better). Lot of issues recently, bereavement/stress, and the old GAD and panic returned - ably assisted by also going through the menopause! Given the option of HRT or Citalopram I opted for the later. First 2 weeks were shaky to say the least but now feeling so much better. Mood has stabilised, sex drive not too bad, but eating so much more. Need to watch weight gain as have only just lost the 2 and a half stone I gained when previously on Citalopram! This change has occurred with only being on 10 mg. Hope to stay on this low dose, for ever if I have to, feel so much better."

hopeful28 May 25, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Celexa (Citalopram) for a little over 3 years now. It is amazing how drastic it has changed my anxiety and depression. I have had severe anxiety and panic attacks right before I started on the medication. After receiving the medication, I didn't take it for about 6 months because I read the side affects about low sex drive LOL! During those six months I would have to take a klonopin (Xanax) almost every day because I would have bad anxiety or a panic attack. After the six months, I couldn't take it any longer and I gave in. It usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks to really kick in but when I tell you, that medication helped dramatically. I NEVER have anxiety anymore even for the things that would usually give me anxiety."

Cam Cam (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2015

For Depression: "I've been taking citalopram for over ten years now. I still have very low periods that can last for a couple of weeks. I rely heavily on my family telling me if I have been a pain in the ass to live with because I'm not always aware how low I get. I have been told that I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I was 30 when I started and I'm now 42. I have only attempted suicide once and that was at the beginning. It's not something I can talk about to work mates and I don't go to a shrink anymore ( hate that word but can't spell psychiatrist) anyway the citalopram has certainly helped me."

max74 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2015