User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 650 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by HeatherB85:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I'm 29 years old...(Mother of 2 boys) I lost my grandma (who raised me) on June 10th (My birthday). She was my everything. This is the first time I've experienced losing someone this close to me. I've had a very difficult time dealing with is, crying everyday....and it has affected me at work with having less patience for things...anxiety, etc. Which I already had anxiety at night before she ever passed away. I've been on Celexa for 5 days and I haven't cried since then. It has made me feel more calm....more understanding of things. My anxiety has subsided a great deal....the only down side is I'm having a little bit of insomnia which I know is a side effect. I'm optimistic about the future now.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by AnnetteGW:

For Depression: Please tell me it gets better. I started taking Citalopram about two days ago an I am so tried and sleepy I can not even function. The first day I slept like 20 hours straight. I am on 20mg a day but I feel really jumpy and tired all the time. I am taking classes online and I can not even get the energy to do that. Will this go away after I stay on them a while. Going to call my doctor on Monday and see.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 12:00 PM

Review by bentleys mommy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Literally one week of medication and I'm feeling great! I was up at 7:00 am this morning, wide awake. For anyone who knows me, that's amazing. I was ready for my day and made it a productive one. Thank you Celexa you have given me my life back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Britt 25 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: This medicine is incredible. I had about four months of out of the blue, never had it before in my life terrible panic and anxiety. I was to the point I was throwing up every morning and constantly worrying and thinking about it. I finally went to the Dr. after crying and feeling miserable for days/months. She prescribed me Celexa 10mg to ween on (minimal side effects nauseous and a little more tired than usual, but I take it at night) then a month later I went to 20mg and I'm happy there. Absolutely no more anxiety or panic and I don't feel like an emotionless zombie I feel just like myself. My sex drive is normal just takes a bit longer to get there.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by Knomge:

For Anxiety and Stress: Works great for me. I had severe crippling anxiety. If you work out while on this medicine you feel great.

July 12, 2014 3:26 AM

Review by Scootscat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Here we go again with these meds. I have severe depression. The best that I can say while taking this medicine is that I was just depressed. I have no energy and that is saying something because I take 60mg of Adderal daily. To be fair, I don't know if it was the depression that wiped me out or this medicine. I need to exercise and enjoyed it in the past, but I couldn't do ANYTHING on this. My doc gave me a script for Luvox. Wish me luck.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by k mansar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: After putting off getting help for a very long time....I am on 40mg a day, started off with 20mg. I also need to take beta blockers to calm my nerves. But overall these tablets are great. Don't be worried about side affects, everyone is different and you may not get any. I do feel very tired and less energetic, but in reality I was a little like this before the medication from being mentally exhausted. Only thing I find is that if I miss one tablet (from taking 2 a day), I suffer for days. I was also very ill after having a very small amount of alcohol on them (so I just stay tea total now). But they certainly take the edge off and I don't feel like a zombie on them :)

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 4:54 AM

Review by HappyMomAgain (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: 35 yo female, wife, three kids - 11 yo son and 4 yo twin girls. I went through therapy which helped A LOT but I was still struggling. I was very impatient, easily agitated, would lash out at my family. I was basically driving everyone away from me. My doc suggested citalopram and I hesitated at first, then decided to take it. I noticed a difference from day one. My twins definitely put the meds to the test, but I was able to deal with them as a patient, rational adult. Side effects - sleepy a lot, sweaty a lot, occasional upset stomach. My husband has noticed how much better I am too. I REALLY hope the sleepy, sweaty beast goes away, but other than that I truly am happy, functional, fun to be around again. Thank goodness!

July 8, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Woodsy13 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I had some personal problems at home that seriously took their toll after about 4 years of "getting on with life" as a full time working mum to a toddler and not looking after my mental health. Once my daughter started school, I FINALLY took the long-overdue step to do something about how I was feeling - exhausted emotionally, constantly tearful, low self esteem, anxious with doom-filled thoughts and a constant sense of failure. I was prescribe Citalopram but held off taking it for 24 hours as I was convinced I was going suffer from all the adverse side effects I'd read about. However, within 4 or 5 hours of taking my first pill I felt notably brighter, more balanced and with a better sense of equilibrium - I truly cant believe it!

June 30, 2014 4:57 AM

Review by londonfever:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medicine changed our lives for a couple of bucks a month! My husband had suffered with generalized anxiety disorder for years but until I was at the end of my rope and googled his symptoms we had no idea. We went to our doc, explained his symptoms, he prescribed Citalopram and oh my goodness life is as it should be. My joke is, my husband doesn't like me when he's not taking his Citalopram!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2014 9:22 AM

Review by Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Ladydi4922:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: When I first started taking it, it really helped me but now it's been over a month and I feel like I did before. I take 40 mg and I need help it's like I am taking nothing at all.

June 9, 2014 7:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa.

May 26, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Lorelle Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered from generalised anxiety for a long period of time. I had been prescribed Citaolpram combined with propranonol for over a five month period. I found no improvements with my mental health and had to go back to my GP to change my medication.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 12:56 PM

Review by Nick d (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I have had panic attacks for 10 years, I've been extremely scared of trying medication but I finally got desperate enough to try citalopram. It's been nearly 2 months since I started and I have yet to feel any relief whatsoever. Started with 10mg then upped to 20mg. I'm thinking about quitting.

May 23, 2014 12:26 AM

Review by melissa9:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am 28 year old female. I was prescribed 10 mg. I read a lot of reviews on Celexa where people said they felt a difference the first week and was starting to get really disappointed when I felt no different in that time frame. I have been on it for exactly 7 weeks now and am just now starting to notice a difference. My interests have returned, I have more energy, and I am able to focus. Overall I am definitely happier and don't feel down in the dumps anymore. The only side effect I had was it made me very tired in the beginning but that has gone away completely. For me, Celexa is working!

May 20, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Darren(UK) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have lived with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for as long as I can remember, like being sick before going to school every morning (I'm now 40). Nearly a year ago, my doctor tried me on Citalopram, mainly to help with headaches and muscle tension, but he commented it might help my anxiety as well (have had counseling sessions and Prozac, none much use). A couple of months in, I was astonished at how something I had come to live with was ruling my life and began to think differently about day to day life and enjoy things I used to worry endlessly about. However, I can now not come off them. I have tried to stop, but the GAD just comes back, worse than it was before.

May 20, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by Bk4 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Helped with anxiety but not as much for depression. I had to get off this medicine because it caused me to put on 100lbs in 2 years. I've been off for a year and lost 80lbs. Kind of defeats the purpose of medicine if it causes such weight gain.

May 17, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by ilovebrutus:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I was diagnosed with major depression 6 years ago when I was 18 years old. I was started on 100mg of Zoloft. You hear the commercials about side effects of SSRIs about how they can "increase suicidal thoughts in children and young adults". Well Zoloft did that to me and made my depression even worse until I eventually was suicidal and was hospitalized. Then they switched me to 60mg Celexa and I have never had any problems with it! I've been on it for 5 1/2 years and the only side effect I have is low libido. The FDA lowered the max recommended dose to 40mg so my doctor lowered my dose too. I have been okay on 40mg but I wish I was still allowed to have the 60mg. I wonder why the max dose got lowered?

May 17, 2014 11:14 AM

Review by Klutt:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medicine has helped me. I have taken others for my anxiety, that did not work well. It does make me over heat easier. That is the only draw back to it.

May 14, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Darktragedy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Gave me horrible dreams - talking in my sleep.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was on citalopram, for about two years. After being off of antidepressants for a while, citalopram worked like a charm for my anxiety. I started mellowing out and finding myself less and less anxious. I really came out of my shell and started being more outgoing and happy. However, this medication also came with some side effects that never went away, like dry mouth and fatigue. I could literally sleep all afternoon even after sleeping 8 hours the night before. I also felt numb to emotions and never felt high or low...just there. I had a breakdown last fall and got off the medication idiotically. When I got back on it, it decreased my anxiety but did not help me get back on the "happy wagon."

May 12, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!

May 11, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by BooBoo36:

For Anxiety and Stress: Ive been on this medication for around 3.5 wks now & the difference is amazing. Pro's - My temper has calmed considerably, I don't feel foggy or anxious the whole time, I can sleep & the most amazing thing is that the Bulimia episodes have pretty much stopped altogether! Con's - I have pretty much no appetite to the extent that I remind myself to eat or I feel ill, a bit of dizziness, really tired first couple of weeks but now I feel like I have lots of energy, upset stomach a few times. Its only early days but I'm actually laughing & feel human again! I'm hoping that these help me to resolve issues going forward.

May 9, 2014 1:58 AM