User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 9 reviews 39 medications

5.5
Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 969 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for over 3 months now and I notice quite a difference in my depression. 3 months ago I was crying almost everyday, often multiple times a day. I had no motivation, was not enjoying life and wanted it to be over. Now I no longer cry for no reason, have more motivation and am enjoying life a lot more. Some days I still feel depressed but I have way more good days than bad days which is great. I haven't noticed any side effects, although sometimes I feel like I am almost "too happy". I guess I haven't been eating as much either but I would consider that a good thing as I was eating my emotions previously."

bthroop (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started Citalopram to treat GAD and Major Depressive Disorder. I've now been on it for 3 years. I took a week off school and don't really remember any major side effects at the time. It was my first anti-depressant and made a pretty big difference. Definitely helped with my anxiety and low moods and suicidal thoughts. Bumped up my dosage a few times and I've been on 40mg for about a year now. However, loads of symptoms are still present, mental fogginess, lack of motivation/concentration, near constant fatique, lack of emotion for long periods until I reach a breakdown state of panic. Panic attacks around biweekly, which is improved from 3 years ago, but much worse than it's been in a long time. Switching to a new medication this week."

snubx (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been taken citalopram since I'm 19 years old, after an acute life event. I started with 20mg a day po which helped me for over 1 year. After 1 year I felt that my depression is coming back so I talked to my physician and we increased the daily dose to 40mg po. I am now taking this medication for over 6 years and for me its the one and only medication that helps. Yes I have had some side effects like loosing weight (15 pounds) trouble sleeping (5-6 h) a day max. and insomnia. But still I can finally start living my normal life which I could not do without this medication. I work as a Rn in a ED and see a lot of patients with depression, ptsd (like me) or other problems who don't take any medications, which I would not recommend..."

Julesrn February 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've had generalized anxiety disorder for about 3 years,I had it under control until 8 months ago, stressing about money and school. My anxiety has been horrible, feeling like I'm dying all the time, thinking I'm having a heart attack, feeling so confused and lost, I've hit rock bottom. I went to the Dr and I was prescribed Prozac 40 mg I ended up in the ER because dosage was too high. The Dr then prescribed me citalopram 20mg which I have not taken. I am very fearful of medications now, I wont even take Tylenol. I read reviews that its great and the worst medication, I'm very confused now, I've tried dealing for mnths on my own trying herbal teas and vitamins, Nothing seems to help me...I don't know what else to do I can't go on living like this"

sweetness09 February 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I woke up.from the absolute craziest dream I've ever had...FREAKING OUT...COULD NOT BREATH, AND THOUGHT I WAS DIEING...I immediately called ppl in my family that have been on antidepressants, and they said just give it time, the side effects will go away...so I continued to take it...today is day 14, I am more nervous and depressed still...I have NO emotion, my head hurts constantly, STILL have no balance...I think my doctor WRONGLY prescribed me something I DIDN'T need, that COMPLETELY ruins with you (when you don't really need it ) I'm severely annoyed...stopping my med tomorrow and flushing the rest of my pills...I'm sooo disgusted"

Lindsay d February 7, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've had GAD w severe panic attacks for 16 years. I've been on just about every combo out there. Celexa daily w xanax as needed works for me. 6 yrs ago I was up to 40mg. I was a zombie. No laughing, no crying, emotionless. I told my doc I wanted off completely. I somehow managed for 4 years w only my xanax. Then came a stressful move. Out comes my daily anxiety rearing its ugly head. Went back on just 10mg for 6 mths. Worked great. Now I'm in some seriously stressful times and attacks are daily, debilitating, and exhausting. Went back on 20mg. I try to do everything as naturally as possible, without relying on pills, but I'm not an idiot. Sometimes you just need a bit more. Find the right dose for you and this stuff can work wonders."

KJ12345 February 4, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started Celexa after trying many other meds for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't begin to say how much I love it. It' truly has given me a life I never knew. I feel so much better and things now roll off instead of driving me insane! Best decision I ever made. Really need to give it a good two months. That's when I really noticed the change."

Tis2016 February 2, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took this medication for the best part of a year to treat anxiety and stress and to list a few symptoms of my stress; mood swings, irritability, insomnia, Manic etc.. thus it was having an effect on my relationship. Although I thought at first the medication was working, it in fact encouraged more mood related symptoms to occur more frequently. I didn't realise that it was effecting me the way it was until coming off this medication, which came shortly after a nervous breakdown and the end of a beautiful relationship. Dr's words were; They are renowned for those symptoms!! which is ironic because that is the very reason I sought help in the first place. I just wish I had fully understood the risks, because now everyday I live with regret."

Reg Ret February 2, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on and off citalapram for 14 years now. The most recent episode of my severe depression starred about 6 months ago. My gp put me on 20mg daily. I take it at night and it literally saved my life. I had suicidal thoughts was self harming and spent days in bed at a time. Now I feel normal I'm not ashamed of taking a tablet daily to help either and advise anyone with depression to seek help before its too late"

Bubbles86 (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: "I have always struggled with depression but after giving birth my depression spiraled out of control. I was miserable every second of the day. My husband finally told me I make an appointment or he makes it for me. I started off at 10mg of Celexa, and was moved up to 20mg. It has completely turned my life around. I finally feel like I'm living again. I haven't had any side effects other than minor headaches."

Chantnn February 1, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am now on Day 20 of 20mg Citalopram. I am now feeling a little better. Still anxious at times although most of the side effects are slowly disappearing. Still quite low mood at times and a agoraphobic unfortunately. I visited my GP today and we have agreed that I should carry on for another four weeks. He now says that 7 - 8 weeks is the norm for the medication to totally kick in yet he said 1 - 3 in the beginning! I will keep taking the medication. I have found taking the pill at night has helped me. Also reading the reviews here have given me some hope."

lovetoknit (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication is definitely not for me. I suffer from social anxiety and panic attacks. I took 10 mg daily for 2 weeks. Although while on this medication, I did not have my panic attacks; I still had social anxiety. I was completely emotionless, couldn't stay sleeping, and never had an orgasm; the total zombie affect. It gave me headaches every morning and jaw pain-I guess a withdrawal side effect. I would not recommend to anyone unless you are coming off of some hard drugs. Every addictive! Severe side effects!"

felt drugged February 1, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Been experiencing very bad anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, etc & my doctor out me 10mg of citalopram. No side effects the first week besides being drowsy & cloudy minded. My doctor just doubled the dose to 20mg & the 3 days on that so far have been awful. I'm really nauseous all day, still having panic attacks & anxiety. I feel unmotivated & lethargic. I'm going to try to take it at night, if the side effect don't ease up I'm going to stop taking this medication."

Katie23 February 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "When I was fifteen, I was diagnosed with manic depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Both caused me to have suicidal tendencies, panic attacks, and vomiting. Since taking a 20 mg dosage of the drug, I have been a lot better. The only issues with the medication are that it does not completely prevent panic attacks, it causes a heavy menstrual flow, and it causes drowsiness."

sarcasticowl February 1, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took one 10mg tablet at 7:30pm, I slept from 9pm-1am and then woke up with extreme nausea, diarrhea, high anxiety, dry mouth and what I think were night sweats and insomnia. I plan to call my Doctor in the morning to see if there is an alternative. I can't imagine feeling that horrible for weeks on end."

Butterfly 36 January 31, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on Citralopram for a few years now. I am currently enduring the worst hot flashes I have ever had. Citralopram does nothing for me other than mute my emotions."

ToyLady000 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am now on Day 14 of 20mg per day and every day has been awful. Total fatigue, diarrhea, shaking body, horrible thoughts, lack of appetite, agoraphobia etc etc. Sometimes around late afternoon into the evening I start to feel a little bit better. I spoke to my doctor on Day 10 and he suggested taking the tablet at night. I haven't managed to do that yet as I felt my body was craving the drug in the morning. I have decided this morning to wait till night to take it. I cannot help but think all of this is not worth it and I will never get any better."

Lovetoknit (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I was having a lot of trouble sleeping due to constant hot flashes for months. I felt exhausted all day and at night fall asleep then wide awake an hour later kicking covers off and on. Dr. recommended low dosage and after a few jittery days I was sleeping most of the night and feeling rested in the morning. It's been almost a month and I am so happy to have found something that works. No more expensive supplements that don't even work."

G Smith (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on Celexa since May and was reluctant to start since I had read all sorts of bad reviews on the internet. However, I am so glad I did because it has truly changed my life. I used to stress over everything and I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I feel 100% better. Celexa has allowed me to take control of my emotions, to read situations more clearly and to put things in my life into perspective so that I am not in a constant state of anxiety. I did not experience any side-effects. This drug has allowed me to take back the control of my life and has stopped that constant worried voice that was in my head. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the same issues as myself."

Penny243111111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was put on Celexa for Depression, Bipolar as well as my OCD (Onsessive Compulsive Disorder). I start off taking 10mg and then later upgraded to 20mg but my experience wasn't entirely the greatest. The Celexa aggravated my OCD ticks making them occur more frequently which automatically raised my level of anxiety and stress. I am always tired and feel like a complete zombie, I find it tiring to even laugh and smile. My appetite has increased drastically, I pretty much never stop eating. And it has really affected my bipolar making me very irritable. Ever since I've been on Celexa I've had many child-like tantrums where I have gotten physically violent. This pill wasn't for me. I am currently still on Celexa but am being weened off of it."

Haleydarlingnc (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was only able to take this medication for about a week, due to a severe allergic reaction I developed. I had horrible, blotchy red hives all over my body, and right after taking them the last day, I also had trouble breathing. Even before I developed the rash, however, I knew something was off. I had terrible insomnia; hardly slept the whole week, not to mention, I felt like I was numb, as if I had thrown a veil over my emotions. It was a little unsettling. I wasn't anxious in the least, but I wasn't particularly happy either. I didn't feel anything. My house could have burned down, and I wouldn't have cared."

Anonymous January 22, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Been on citalopram for 2 years, to those of you just starting keep going it takes about 1 month and all the side affects go away. Try taking it after food (my doctor suggested this to start with) in the beginning it does limit the sickness feeling. The positive affects are great I feel a different person, my wife thinks I am a different person !!! So stick with it its only a few weeks of feeling rotten but the plus so out ways the cons"

wales850 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I used celexa to treat my severe stress triggered anxiety and panic attacks. It was limiting my life to the point I thought I'd have to quit my job. I'd never been on anti anxiety drugs but started on 10mg which is very low. Did not see effects immediately. Things started feeling 'different' before they felt better. My personal side effects were fatigue, restless tossing and turning at night (normally I'm out like a log), night sweats, and weirdly sweaty hands. All of this was WAY better than having anxiety though so I'm not complaining! It relieved some anxiety but didn't really pick up my mood. I'm sensitive to medication and underweight so this might be a unusual experience. I'm switching to Paxil to see if I get better results."

Carolyn,23,F (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

For Depression: "I have now been on citalopram for over 6 weeks. I was started on 10mg for 5 days and then upped to 20mg for depression and generalised anxiety disorder caused by intense work stress for the past eighteen months. I found that in the first week I had minimal side effects except dry mouth and slight sleepiness. Now I have no symptoms at all and have had no issues with citalopram. At the 3-4 week mark my common feelings of dread and waves of anxiety and sadness seemed to reduce without me noticing it was happening. Now at the 6 week mark I feel... Normal. I don't feel overly happy, just normal. It's an odd feeling as it is now hard to remember how bad I felt and why I sought help in the first place. I would recommend citalopram to anyone!"

Ceeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Changed and SAVED my life..."

TAR12 January 19, 2016