User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Occipital Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 789 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

For Depression: "I've been taking citalopram for over ten years now. I still have very low periods that can last for a couple of weeks. I rely heavily on my family telling me if I have been a pain in the ass to live with because I'm not always aware how low I get. I have been told that I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I was 30 when I started and I'm now 42. I have only attempted suicide once and that was at the beginning. It's not something I can talk about to work mates and I don't go to a shrink anymore ( hate that word but can't spell psychiatrist) anyway the citalopram has certainly helped me."

max74 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2015

For Depression: "I've been on celexa for 8 weeks. The first week at 10mg , next 2 weeks at 20mg and the last 5 weeks at 40mg. I was suffering from debilitating severe depression. And I mean, I was suicidal by the time I went for help. It took 6 weeks to feel better and by week 8 I feel amazing. No side effects except weight loss. I feel numb to pain now. But actually feel joy gratitude and love again. I enjoy things again. I don't cry 24-7 anymore , I can't cry even when I should be crying lol. It's a miracle drug. I didn't think anything could save me . Yes it took time and patience but am I ever glad I stuck it out. I have no intentions on going off this drug . Depression is rampant in my family , I refuse to ever go back to that scary dark place"

sweetangelinred May 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This drug definitely decreased my anxiety and depression A LOT. At first I started on 20 mg. I took it at night because they make me very drowsy. Three months later I was bumped up to 40 mg. I am extremely tired all day, everyday. The worst side effect for me is the weight gain. I work out 5 days a week and eat extremely well. This medicine has been packing 5 lbs on me a month average. Also, I am hungry (or at least my brain wants to eat) non-stop! I'm going off this medication because I talked to a nurse at my Dr. office who told me she gained 40 pounds on it. I'd recommend taking it IF you don't mind gaining weight, even regardless of exercise. I'm currently weening myself off of this medication after about 7 months on it."

Runner15151515 May 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Citalopram 12 years ago as a teenage for anxiety and depression. I have consistently taken it as an adult for the past seven years for anxiety. I have found that my optimal dose is 20mg and also have a sprinkle of Clanazopam a day works best to treat my anxiety. Things as simple as be anxious to answer a phone are rarely an issue for me. I take it at night as it makes me tired and a little nauseous if I take it in the morning. My quality of life is better when I am using my medication regularly. I hope you find your right fit."

polcka19 May 14, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Hello everyone! I just found out I have PMDD and for a long time I have been suffering with depression along with anxiety. It has really been taking control of my life until in March my doctor prescribed me 10mg of Celexa. Besides the drowsiness for about 4-6 weeks, I have NEVER felt this good in a long time! I am no longer fatigued!"

Cherokeeprincess (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I went to the doctor because I was too terrified to do any meaningful living, including walking out of my door. I had experienced panic attacks and was under great social stress. The doc started me out on 20 mg/day and the first ten days was horrible in that I could "feel" something at work and - because I was afraid of everything, I was even afraid of this medical rescue -- and that was hard for me. My husband did not approve, he felt I should overcome my problems on my own. I persisted, and within a month I felt a blessed relief. I was still having middle of the night anxiety-rushes but when we increased the dose to 30 mg/day they were gone, too. Nearly a year later, I am grateful every day I have this medication."

Munga -- STICK IT OUT and LIFE WILL GET BETTER May 7, 2015

For Trichotillomania: "This is my first time taking a mental medicine and this is my second day. Ive been pulling my hair for about 9year. Never thought it was a disorder until my mom told me. I had the urge to pull my hair but after i took one, the urge stopped. But my teeth and my hands shivers time to time. My stomach feels like its twisted and feels like something is stuck in my throat. I also cant feel excited like before and when i try to do something fun, i get bored right away. My doctor told me to take 1/2 of the medicine for the first week, and then one whole after. I got 20mg tablets. Taking 10mg and feeling that my interests lost, im really scared. If i take the whole medicine, what will happen to me? Im not sure if this medicine is good for me but ill continue taking them. Plus, my mom is really happy that im taking it."

tomomi (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on this medication for 2 years now. This has helped me so much. It's been two years since I have had an anxiety attack and been severely depressed. I am so much happier and have so much more energy. I don't know where I would be without it. It has turned my life around 180."

Miahtay10 April 30, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I have been taking this for about 3-4 years and what a difference it has made in my life. I started out at 20mg and because of my size 250 the Doc went to 30 mg and bingo what a relief. Hang in there and give it a chance to work and you will get there. It doesn't happen over night. everyone's metabolism is different."

Geno 20 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was prescribed Citalopram for severe anxiety and depression. I had 2-4 days of very slight queasiness and no side effects thereafter. I started to feel calmer by the end of the first week and quite simply it went on to change my life for the better. I took it for 2 years and when I felt ready I slowly reduced my dosage with the knowledge of my doctor. I have not been on the medication for about 5 years now and have continued to feel perfectly well. There are some days when I am mildly anxious or down but I can cope without medication and these episodes pass quickly. I would urge anyone advised to take this medication to do as they are asked - it might just save your sanity!"

CayLins April 30, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was put on celexa for anixety and depression. I took it for the first time last night then woke up at 10am with the worst nausa of my life. i thought i was goingto vomit. I also couldnt stop shaking but i wasnt cold. My whole body also felt like it was on fire and burning. the worst was my feet, hands and ears. My feet was so bad i couldnt feel them. so not taking this med anymore."

lachele (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Six years ago I used to suffer from bad panic attacks to a point it turned into bipolar I got put in rehab for it I was very suicidal after a week of medication I was my normal self for years... But recent I am suffering from anxiety disorder, I hear and feel my own heart beat 24/7, I was waking crying and I can't relax at all just constant edgy-ness, I felt cold all the time had heart palptations and I lost a stone due to this.. My doctor put my on 10mg citalopram Hydrobromide, side effects vomiting, tremor and vivid dreams. I do feel not as edgy but it's still early to say I've been taking them for two days so it'll take a while to kick in I think but will update."

Fionarose April 29, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication is truly a double edge sword. This is only my personal experience with this drug. I liked it but won't be recommending it due to sexual and other side effects. The positive: It works like a dream...as far as mood it will make you extremely mellow and easy going. The negative: It will make you shake-tremors. You will still have somewhat of a sex drive but impossible to achieve an orgasm. Weight gain, stomach cramps, restless and trouble sleeping."

crystal_clear007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

For Depression: "I have been taking Celexa for five months now for anxiety and depression, and it worked for a while. I started on 20 mg, then 40, and now 60. Every increase in dose has helped calm down my anxiety and depression."

adfalcon (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa helped me immensely with my social anxiety. It completely changed my personality for the better. I finally felt confident and stopped having frequent anxiety and panic attacks. The only downside to taking this drug was that it was a bit too good at reducing my anxiety. I gained a total of 80 pounds in the first two years of taking it. I used to be obsessed with my weight, weighing myself multiple times a day and having anxiety attacks over it. Celexa took away my insecurities, but at a major cost to my physical health. I was on Celexa for 7 years and only decided to try something else because I was having difficulty becoming motivated to lose weight, and found that it was not helping me enough with depression."

Ley87 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "For many years I had been trying to live with anxiety until it reached a point when I realized I needed help. I often felt stressed and anxious with simple activities like going to the store, and couldn't hold a job or stick with things. Celexa made me happy again, helped me look at life as a glass half full, not empty. Started on 20, noticed some improvement but not complete relief...increased to 40, and then feeling great decided I no longer needed medication. Tapering off, withdrawal symptoms included: dizziness, shakiness, nausea, etc...also, anxiety returned full force. I'm back on it, I gave it an 8 because as effective as it is, therapy is an important component to include with treatment. I'll probably stay on this for many years!"

Kayak33 April 25, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "This medicine has been very helpful to me. I have always been very reluctant to try medications. This medication has stopped the crying everyday, the constant anger, and helped significantly with anxiety. I have been on Celexa for almost 3 months and I feel a little better everyday, it just takes time. I've had night sweats, light headaches and not slept as well as I used to since starting this medication. However, for me, the benefits are outweighing the side effects at the moment and I will continue to use Celexa until that is no longer the case."

19piper91 April 24, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I love this medication is has changed my life. Love it love it love it....."

Me myself and I April 24, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Life transforming. I've always resisted the idea of medicating mental states, but after a year of utterly out-of-control and misery-making anxiety, I was persuaded to give it a try. Within two weeks my levels of anxiety had dropped significantly, three months in I feel positive and able to cope with my enormously stressful work situation. This medicine has transformed my mental state. I do feel more tired on it, and am perhaps experiencing a certain loss of mental sharpness, but that's a price I am happy to pay in exchange for despair, panic and regular suicidal thoughts. I never expected to find myself buying into "big pharmaceuticals will make you happy", but this has helped me regain control of my life."

Skepticalbeneficiary April 23, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on citalopram 20 mg for 2 months now. Overall yes I have felt better , my mood was happy , not easy to anger, and things that would normally stress me didn't as much. I had a incident where I missed 3 doses , I was dizzy light headed and felt very unbalanced, took my evening dose and woke up next morning back to no side effects. Online search stated it was withdrawals. Now since 2 months down, I have suddenly felt depressed , and anxiety a little more again. Going to call doctor see if its not working, I have a urge to eat more then before carbs and sweets."

nicknames already in use April 22, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on citalopram for a couple months now and I absolutely love it. The only side effect I had was dizziness the next day after the first dose, but it went away. As of right now, no side effects at all, and I have noticed that I am more independent and more confident than I have ever been. Before this medication I took Paxil, which was horrible. The side effects were the worst and the withdrawal (which I have read about) is bad as well, but I got over it. Before Celexa I would be afraid to talk on the phone and do basic things like calling insurance companies, cable companies, etc. But now I have the confidence to call anyone and the change has been night and day. Highly recommend this medication!"

Saritaaa April 22, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Celexa 14 years ago after the death of my father. I had always had panic attacks, anxiety everyday, but never sought help. After my father passed away, I could not cope with the anxiety, so off to the Dr. I went. I did my research beforehand and asked the Dr. for Celexa. I started out at 10mg and then went to 20mg and have been there ever since. My life completely changed, I didn't realize what a hold the anxiety had on me. I will never be without my Celexa and the Dr. said I could stay on it forever, it won't hurt me. I wished I would have listened to my Dr. 30 years ago when he suggested an SSRI for the anxiety, it would have spared me so many years of being inside the walls of anxiety."

CD2 April 19, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was hesitant for years to ever be put on medicine for anxiety/depression, but once it had significantly gotten worst into my "adult" years (mid-20's), I decided it was time. I cannot say enough amazing things about Celexa. I have been on it for a little over two weeks (10 mg starting out and now 20mg) and wow. My only regret is that I didn't get put on this way sooner! My emotional state is so much better, I am rarely irritated, and I can deal with everything so much better without going absolutely crazy. It's truly amazing. I did have side effects at first- headache, light-headedness, going to the bathroom a lot, stomach upset, lump in my throat, clinching my jaw, but it was worth all that once I got past it!"

Emma L April 16, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I've only been taking this tablet for one week so far. Sadly for me my problems of panic and anxiety have became so much worse. Causing me to now have to take a beta blocker. I'm still on citalopram and my beta blockers and will see my doctors next week to see what I need to do. I will update you again."

miss panic (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "After years of suffering from ever-worsening anxieties, I finally told my Dr & she prescribed 20mg of Citalopram. I noticed w/in the first 20 mins or so of taking it I got super drowsy & dizzy. I have vertigo, & it kind of felt like that, but with the added drowsiness. This lasted for about a week & then stopped. The drowsiness only came back after I drank alcohol, but even that side effect has since stopped. My family remarked how happy & like myself again I was after about 2 weeks & that's when I realized it was helping. I did notice that I couldn't seem to shut up, I had an increase in energy, loss of appetite, excess sweating/sensitivity to heat, lost 25 lbs, had mood swings & extra trouble sleeping. I still feel way better now, though!"

Melsie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2015