User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 707 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Fizzletots (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: It works well for anxiety. Difficult to orgasm, get really sleepy if I drink (esp. Scotch/liquor), but other than that definitely more chill. Sleeping better, chest pain I was having from anxiety has virtually disappeared after 6 weeks on 20mg. Going to keep on it for 6 months then taper & reevaluate. Gained 10lbs and liking carbs more. Seems related to the meds.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 7:14 AM

Review by zillafish (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I suffer from anxiety, OCD, bipolar, and depression. This medication has made me sluggish and slow because of that I have gained weight which has just added to the stress and anxiety. It has done nothing for me. My anxiety is still intruding on my life. My OCD is not being helped because my anxiety is not being dealt with.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 4:58 AM

Review by Sales guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Absolutely changed my life. Sleeping habits greatly improved. Sudden stress disappeared. Sense of calmness I haven't had in decades returned.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 9:54 PM

Review by Shorts2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I've been taking 20 mg for 4 days. It's been 4 of the most bizarre days of my life. I take the medicine around 6pm, feel good until I go to sleep, and then wake up with extreme anxiety around 3 am. I then fall back asleep and struggle to accomplish anything at work the following day. I am unable to say a word to anyone in the office and just stare blankly for 8 hrs. Prior to depression/anxiety, I was a top performer at an aerospace company living in a beautiful house. I have been relegated to living at home, being a bottom feeder at work. Despite experiencing death and major losses depression has easily been the singlemost crippling experience of my life. Hoping this turns around

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by grassmunchy (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I've just started this, I've taken 2 doses and I know it's supposed to take a couple of weeks to start to work, but I can already feel a difference.

January 23, 2015 11:51 AM

Review by NJP817:

For Anxiety and Stress: About 2 months on citalopram, starting taking it for headaches and anxiety attacks caused by stress from work, college, and a lot of life changes at once. Wasted a month refusing to take it because I was "too good for medication like this" and because of the horror stories I'd read. After a couple weeks it helped soooo much, I could have my life back without the constant worry of where and when I would have anxiety attacks. I can finally have relaxing evenings at home. No problems other than slight drowsiness the first few days and a lot of sexual dysfunction the first couple weeks.

January 22, 2015 11:04 PM

Review by justbeinghonest14:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been taking it for 8 months. I noticed a dramatic difference. Most negative thoughts are gone. But I still have times. A lot. Where I think and feel the way I did before. I know this isn't magical and going to take the pain away. Just wanted you all to know that it helps a lot.

January 17, 2015 7:24 PM

Review by Ser85 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was on this for a little over a year and all it did was make me gain 30 pounds. I started taking it for anxiety and it helped, but then I became very depressed. It also made me crave carbs..hence the 30 lb weight gain. I'm on Cymbalta now and doing SO much better.

January 12, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by weeshy:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started Celexa last April after having tried numerous other antidepressants. It took a good 6 weeks for me to really get the full effect of the medication, but it has changed my life. I found it to be subtle, effective, and lasting without any side effects. I really think it's a matter of your personal brain chemistry whether an antidepressant will work for you. It's worth it to keep trying to find one that fits for you.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 8:25 AM

Review by polar queen:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's worked well with Topamax and if needed Xanax. The best combination. Since I was diagnosed bipolar at 15. Withdrawals are bad if I forget to take it.

January 5, 2015 1:07 AM

Review by lizual (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Celexa has helped to improve my mental status but the physical symptoms/side effects are another story. In the month I've been taking it I've had headaches, nausea/upset stomach, extreme fatigue, some insomnia, diminished appetite and more. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow to get off of this medication.

January 3, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by Flowly improving (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Along with Celexa at 20mg, for about 5 weeks, I take 150mg of Wellbutrin, and 40 mg of methadone. I've had several back surgeries so live with chronic pain. Along with an improvement of depression and anxiety, I noticed that my appetite has decreased. No weight gain, maybe lost a couple pounds. I noticed improvement on the first couple days! I've tried Prozac & Welbutrin, individually & together, but not much help. I recommend giving Celexa a try over any other medicines.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by Jillybean1979:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Day 4 of Celexa & WOW my negative thoughts, constant worry & irritation have almost vanished! I'm taking 10mg a day and am amazed at how quickly I feel this medicine working. I have had some bad headaches, dizziness & a little nausea but that's about it & totally worth it for the difference I'm feeling. I feel like life is worth living again. Thank you Celexa!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by allysmo3:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I just started taking Celexa and it worked really good. I'm happy all the time and my marriage is getting better.

December 19, 2014 3:44 PM

Review by Joey from Loueeezziana:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I got on Celexa about 5 months ago. The reason was stress. I went to the doctor for a routine physical after turning 30. He was going through a checklist of questions and when 'stress' came up I was like absolutely. Just married, new house, new baby, trying to elevate myself in the professional world --- all wonderful stuff but challenging and stressful. He prescribed Celexa to "take the edge off." It did just that. Nothing major, but you can feel it for the first few weeks. You're just a little more chill. It makes it difficult to get angry (i.e. road rage never happens). I took it a few months then I stopped. Didn't notice any side effects from getting off it. Didn't feel it anymore after a few months anyway.

December 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by Liz Adkins (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medicine changed my life! I suffered from anorexia, anxiety and mild depression. For two plus years now I am free of these afflictions and live a happy well adjusted life! For me the results started immediately, maybe a little too much results at first. The biggest shock is that the day after I started taking the medication, I physically saw myself differently in the mirror. This was a huge step to overcoming my anorexia. I no longer dwelled on the motor mirror or cried all the time and my general anxiety was quelled. My mind was no longer racing and focusing on negatives. After 8 weeks I felt like a normal person.

December 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Dawn_Dawn1968 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Celexa is a literally a magic pill, for me. 20 minutes, tops & I feel like myself again. I've been taking it for about 4 years for 1 or 2 months a couple of times a year. The holidays are always bad. I get so sick of crying all the time. Sobbing, actually. I've tried a few other antidepressants but nothing works like Celexa. For me. May not be for everyone. Other people may need to take Celexa for a longer or more regular period of time & it can take up to 2-3 weeks for the medication to completely work, for a lot of people. Ask your doctor & give it a try.

December 8, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: My doctor put me on Celexa when I started having tension headaches from severe stress. The headaches were gone after a week of taking the medication. A week later, I started tripping over my own feet & my pharmacist told me the medication was to blame. My stress was absolutely more manageable, though!

December 7, 2014 5:40 PM

Review by I'mback!:

For Depression: I am 3 days in taking this medicine at 40 mg dose and I am absolutely amazed that I am feeling 80% better! Anxiety is 98% better! I am so glad because I was not at all coping. I thought it took 2 weeks for these medicines to get in our systems but common sense says any medicine taken will immediately get into our blood streams.

December 4, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by ransid (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Difficulty urinating and low sex drive side effects took about 2 months to subside, felt really tired for about 4 to 6 months just going to work to pay the bills and sleeping the rest of the time. But now its a lot better, I deal with anxiety better but the combination of physiologist and medicines work better. I'm not the full on person I was and I take things slowly now. Now I just stop and smell the daises a bit but I took this for me to learn that the happy things in life are sometimes the simplest.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 1:21 AM

Review by anxiousaf (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Took this for about a year and it was highly effective. Boosted my mood and rid of most my anxiety in just a week of starting it. Only thing was it made me sick at first but I switched to taking it at night and I was fine! I'd recommend Celexa over anything.

December 1, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by kavsp:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started this medication 2 1/2 years ago it has worked wonders for me. It took my anxiety away. I used to have panic attacks that would last for hours and hours I thought I was loosing my mind. This made me feel normal again I hadn't had an actual anxiety attack in over 2 years. Thank you Celexa.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Ladyflyer7 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: When my doctor suggested I have anxiety, at first I was hesitant to try Celexa. I had always attributed my symptoms to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, allergies and chronic back and hip pain. I held my prescription for three weeks before deciding to try it. I have been taking 20 mg for 7 days. I have not had to take a muscle relaxer or a strong pain reliever in a week because although I still feel a little discomfort in my back, it's not so bad anymore. Added benefit.

November 16, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by nickname smb:

For Depression: It took a good month to start feeling like myself again. In the beginning I was so tired and just wanted to sleep all day (of course wasn't sleeping good at night). I did notice right away how my anxiety decreased and I wasn't snappy or having panic attacks anymore. I had a flat affect for about a month and that felt strange to not feel anything. Its been almost two months and overall I would say this medicine definitely helped make me feel more like myself again. I still a have rough moments but am able to get through the day a lot better. I don't recommend drinking while taking this medicine.

November 15, 2014 2:42 AM

Review by 1991Emjay (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I honestly can't praise this medication enough. I had previously been on fluxeotine which sent me into overdrive and in turn I had what I would class as a breakdown. I needed to come off them and I didn't have high hopes for much else. Citalopram did everything I wanted it to. Stopped the tears and allowed me to get back into a sleep pattern. Yes after a year or so I think I may have became somewhat numb to some things but this was far better than what was happening previously. I stayed on the medication 8 months after the symptoms disappeared as advised and have now been off meds for a year and still feel very positive. I have my down days and tears but handle situations far better. I must state that medication alone will not work.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate