User Reviews for Chlorpheniramine

Also known as: Aller-Chlor, Allergy Relief, Allergy Time, C.P.M., Chlo-Amine, Chlor-Mal, Chlor-Phenit, Chlor-Trimeton, Chlor-Trimeton Allergy SR, Chlorphen, Chlorpheniramine (Allergy), ChlorTan, Ed Chlor-Tan, Ed ChlorPed, Ed-Chlortan, ...show all 22 brand names

Learn more about Chlorpheniramine.

Allergic Reactions 8 reviews 184 medications

Urticaria 1 reviews 185 medications

Summary of Chlorpheniramine reviews 19 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Chlorpheniramine

Review by csts1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Allergic Reactions: Chlorpheniramine right before bedtime does 2 great things for me: (1) reduces allergic build up during sleep (if my hay fever is bad one day or my asthma increasing, often I think back and realize I forgot to take it the night before) and (2) helps me feel drowsy (a normally unwanted side effect that becomes an advantage at night). I take the 12 mg extended release table and really suffer if I run out. GREAT!

August 2, 2012 11:38 PM

Review by BTM1:

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: I occasionally get severe sneezing attacks, cause unknown. They start as a feeling like something tickling my nose followed by a deep intake of breath and a powerful (mostly dry) sneeze. This then repeats about every 20 seconds for several minutes, when it stops, leaving me exhausted and with teary eyes and a runny nose. I found that swallowing a short-acting chlorpheniramine maleate tablet at the first sign, or in between sneezes, is effective at immediately stopping the attack, with no noticeable side effects. I have other chronic health conditions for which I take prescription medications; long term use of antihistamines for me is not recommended.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2012 4:45 PM

For Hay Fever: Thank you chlorpheniramine! After 4 years of daily suffering with the mysterious 'chronic phlegmitis' that no doctor or internet forum could answer, I found this by accident and to date has been the only thing to positively affect and practically halt the terrible constant post nasal drip. No other antihistamines or steroid sprays or mucolytics or decongestants touched it. And it has the added bonus of potentiating my pain medicine for chronic pain. So I thought I was in heaven one day to find less pain and the post nasal drip decreased.

October 2, 2011 6:39 AM

Wal-finate (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: I give this to my German Shepherds for food and environmental allergies. It works better than most, and doesn't make them sleepy like Benadryl. Highly recommended! I've used myself for hay fever.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2011 6:32 PM

For Hay Fever: I love this allergy medicine! It works like a charm, and it rarely makes me sleepy, unlike Benadryl. Once in a while it's not effective, but this doesn't happen often. I agree with previous reviewers- it's sometimes hard to find on the shelf.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2011 10:11 AM

Review by "Roger":

Chlorpheniramine (Allergy) (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: Although an off-label use, I find this drug to be an excellent sleep aid. It is relatively short acting and may be appropriate for middle of the night awakenings. It is very important, however, to get your doctor's clearance before such use. There are some drugs that interact with chlorpheniramine. It is especially important not to combine chlorpheniramine or any similar drug, including drugs for motion sickness, such as Dramamine or Meclizine. Patients with eye pressure issues (glaucoma) should also either avoid and/or discuss with a doctor before using it.

May 14, 2010 10:11 PM

Review by Danomorr:

For Hay Fever: I have used this medicine since grade school for allergy and hay fever (dust, mold, pollen, etc) and find it is really big on effect and its side effect, drowsiness, doesn't seem to bother me. This said, others that I have recommended it to say its like a tranquilizer. For taming allergic conditions, this is great - second only to diphenhydramine in effectiveness for an OTC. Diphenhydramine, however, has a much stronger drowsiness side effect for me. The best news is that this is cheap! Around $4 for 100 4mg tab doses.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2010 9:22 AM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: The 4mg dosage works very well for seasonal allergic reactions.

January 11, 2010 11:38 AM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: The most effective allergy medicine I've found to treat dog/cat/mold/dust allergies. It's too bad you can't find it any more!

December 8, 2009 12:18 PM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: I can't use Zyrtec or Claritin because they make my ADHD symptoms worse and counteract my Ritalin medication. This is the only antihistamine that works for me and does not make me drowsy (4 hour version). However, the 12 hour one has made me drowsy.

August 20, 2009 3:01 PM

Review by jonryan:

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: This is one of 2 antihistamines that works for me. This is the one that does not make me sleepy.

April 11, 2009 5:38 AM

Review by Hannah B.:

For Allergic Reactions: This little pill works in a BIG way. Everyone I've introduced it to has said the same. I have had allergies for some time now and it's hard to find medicine that works well.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2009 12:23 AM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Allergic Reactions: I have severe allergies and believe that Chlor-Trimeton has saved my life several times. I have had 10-12 life-threatening anaphylactic attacks over the last 20 years. My attacks usually build slowly, starting with hives, then vomiting and diarrhea, then swelling of my tongue, throat and inner ears. I have found through trial and error that if I can take a 12-hour Chlor-Trimeton in the first 2-4 minutes after the reaction starts, I can stop the reaction all together, or at least get to the hospital without having to use my Epi-pen. I LOVE this medicine for hayfever symptoms as well. Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to find the 12 hour tablets.

February 27, 2009 11:05 PM

Review by Wikka:

For Allergic Reactions: It's good.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2008 10:49 AM

Review by naddyt:

For Cold Symptoms: It was really effective. It took only about 5 minutes before my blocked nose started to clear up.

November 20, 2008 2:18 PM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: I have had severe hayfever since childhood and this is one of the few antihistamines that work for all of my symptoms without making me overly drowsy. I'm just sad that they only sell 4 hour pills otc now. I'll have to switch to something else.

September 8, 2008 4:57 PM

Review by Mina79:

For Allergic Reactions: I got this in Greece cause of my terrible reaction of the mosquitos. It helped me right away.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2008 6:56 PM

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Hay Fever: While it makes me drowsy, gives me dry mouth and can make my scalp tingle/itch it is the only antihistamine that works for my severe hay fever. The 4 hour pills work most of the time and when my symptoms are really bad the 8 or 12 hour ones make my life normal.

August 26, 2008 9:53 PM

Review by Dwaynehc:

Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine) for Urticaria: 24 hours after taking chlortrimeton 90% of my hives have disappeared. This is the first OTC drug I have taken that has had an effect. I experienced some drowsiness but functioned quite well.

July 13, 2008 9:03 AM