Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 101 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Eating more , not a lot of energy . It seems to take a while to work

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 5:22 AM

Review by buby1231242424t5asdg (taken for less than 1 month):

Vanspar (buspirone): It has made me irritable, socially awkward, has not helped my anxiety, makes me light-headed a for a bit after I take it, and gives me the general sense that something is "off"

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by amy gi:

I've been on Buspirone for about six months for anxiety. I take 10 mg twice a day. It has done absolutely nothing for me. I might as well be taking a sugar pill.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 1:01 AM

Review by Gri20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've been on this medicine for about 7 months. I started at 5 mg and I felt great! But around the 4 months I got worse and ended up increasing my dose to 30 mg and now I feel even more better then before! The only side effect I experienced was a slight brain zaps but they go away after a week or two. This medicine has helped me so much I recommend this medcine!

March 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Review by kikidee (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): So far it hasn't helped much with the anxiety... it's actually made it worse. My hands tremble and I feel like I'm walking on the deck of a moving ship. Making an appointment with my doctor to discontinue and find a new med, as this one is freaking me out.

March 11, 2015 2:35 PM

Review by MissADH (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've only been taking Buspar for a few days, and I haven't noticed any anxiety. But the side effects make me sick as, but are temporarily, and I think mine are magnified because I'm on so many medications. So far it works and is also used for sex dysfunction, which has helped my sex life with my partner. To each their own. Definitely do not drive on this medication.

March 5, 2015 1:30 PM

Review by Whitneigh:

BuSpar (buspirone): I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Review by A-non:

This medicine worked for the first 4 months, but then my anxiety suddenly got worse that Buspar doesn't help!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:48 AM

Review by Btothenyc:

BuSpar (buspirone): Besides getting dizzy haven't noticed any effect.

January 31, 2015 8:51 AM

Review by ..........:

This medication has been wonderful for me and my anxiety. As soon as I took it I felt better right away. When I first started I was on 10 mg 2x daily. I was having trouble sleeping and when I woke up in the morning I would have to go to my moms house as early as 5am because I would freak out at home. I would be ok all day without panic once I took my pill so my doctor told me to try it 3x a day and added Xanax. I took this medication as soon as I woke up along with a Xanax and was able to stay home and not run to my moms and the anxiety was almost non existent. Taking the medicine 3x instead of 2 made a big difference along with one Xanax in morning and one at night to help me sleep. Had No side effects.

January 29, 2015 11:05 PM

Review by MaryCalmDown (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on a combination of medicines to include 45mg Buspar a day for about a year. I used to take Ambien or some other sort of sleeping aid every night as that is when my anxiety was the worse. Now I take an aid about once a week so I am happy with my results. I started out not believing at first but my doctor kept telling me to give it time and I'm glad I did. I did not see results for the first two months as I was increasing my dosage.

January 27, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Beckylg:

BuSpar (buspirone): Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Review by Checkerberry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone): The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 6:14 PM

Review by Just call me A:

BuSpar (buspirone): I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back.

January 5, 2015 10:07 PM

Review by glassygirl (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've been taking 15 mg 2x/day with good results. My social anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. I have been taking Ambien almost every night for the past 4 years and now down to less than 1x/week. That to me has made it worth it.

December 27, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Jason5279:

This medication did not improve my depression or anxiety at all. I was on dosages from 15 to 60 mg, as an add on to Lexapro and it made no difference. I finally switched to mirtazapine and already felt a lot better the next day.

December 7, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by bstyll:

BuSpar (buspirone): I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

201 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Racing Turtles (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've been taking Buspar for a month, following a period of elevating anxiety that was turning my life into a joyless state of constant worry and anxious, obsessive, unhelpful thoughts. My psychiatrist warned it would take 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement - I noticed significant improvement within *hours* of pill #1 with minor and bearable side effects. At other low periods, I was medicated for depression without benefit, and sometimes terrible side effects (Prozac: auditory hallucinations; Celexa: crazy hot flashes). Unfortunately I seem to be noticing decreasing benefit. I have been taking just 7.5 mg/day so today I doubled to the full 15mg I was prescribed. Hope it works! This medicine has given me real hope.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by Stef138:

BuSpar (buspirone): I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it.

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Dylan M:

BuSpar (buspirone): I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone): I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety.

October 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've taken Buspirone HCL 7.5 MG for at least a month now and its made me feel sick to my stomach, sweaty, and gives me dry mouth. However other people have seen change in my personality in a positive way even though I haven't noticed a big change yet. I don't like how it makes me feel physically but my doctor said it could take months to get used to.

October 7, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone): I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.

247 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone): I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

231 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM