User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Review by Whitneigh:

BuSpar (buspirone): I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time.

February 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Review by A-non:

This medicine worked for the first 4 months, but then my anxiety suddenly got worse that Buspar doesn't help!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:48 AM

Review by Btothenyc:

BuSpar (buspirone): Besides getting dizzy haven't noticed any effect.

January 31, 2015 8:51 AM

Review by MaryCalmDown (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on a combination of medicines to include 45mg Buspar a day for about a year. I used to take Ambien or some other sort of sleeping aid every night as that is when my anxiety was the worse. Now I take an aid about once a week so I am happy with my results. I started out not believing at first but my doctor kept telling me to give it time and I'm glad I did. I did not see results for the first two months as I was increasing my dosage.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Beckylg:

BuSpar (buspirone): Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety.

January 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Review by Just call me A:

BuSpar (buspirone): I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 10:07 PM

Review by glassygirl (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've been taking 15 mg 2x/day with good results. My social anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. I have been taking Ambien almost every night for the past 4 years and now down to less than 1x/week. That to me has made it worth it.

December 27, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Jason5279:

This medication did not improve my depression or anxiety at all. I was on dosages from 15 to 60 mg, as an add on to Lexapro and it made no difference. I finally switched to mirtazapine and already felt a lot better the next day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by bstyll:

BuSpar (buspirone): I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Racing Turtles (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I've been taking Buspar for a month, following a period of elevating anxiety that was turning my life into a joyless state of constant worry and anxious, obsessive, unhelpful thoughts. My psychiatrist warned it would take 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement - I noticed significant improvement within *hours* of pill #1 with minor and bearable side effects. At other low periods, I was medicated for depression without benefit, and sometimes terrible side effects (Prozac: auditory hallucinations; Celexa: crazy hot flashes). Unfortunately I seem to be noticing decreasing benefit. I have been taking just 7.5 mg/day so today I doubled to the full 15mg I was prescribed. Hope it works! This medicine has given me real hope.

November 30, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by Stef138:

BuSpar (buspirone): I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Dylan M:

BuSpar (buspirone): I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone): I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety.

October 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've taken Buspirone HCL 7.5 MG for at least a month now and its made me feel sick to my stomach, sweaty, and gives me dry mouth. However other people have seen change in my personality in a positive way even though I haven't noticed a big change yet. I don't like how it makes me feel physically but my doctor said it could take months to get used to.

October 7, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone): I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone): I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

201 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Jane8744:

BuSpar (buspirone): I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!

August 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by lcdavis (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on it for about a week, just about to up it to 30 mg. I have had no dizziness or nausea. I can say for me, it has an immediate effect after taking it. I feel just a tad loopy and very relaxed for about an hour after. Not sleepy or anything, just relaxed. It has definitely suppressed my appetite. It seems to be working already, I'm not grinding my teeth all day, so my jaw no longer hurts and I'm able to focus a bit better. I like it way better than clonazapam or any benzo I've been given. I do not get panic attacks and I'm also on bupropion.

August 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by RaiRai13:

I was prescribed buspirone for my generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder (as well as clonazepam) Three doses a day; in the afternoon only a dose of buspirone. The first three weeks were hard, as it took that long to get into my system. Once it kicked in, however, I noticed a huge difference. I felt more balanced, and less likely to have a panic attack. Once I took a dose it took effect in half-hour. It does well on it's own to control the anxiety. I took a couple stars off because the side effects are true to the label. They aren't so severe after years of taking it, but the dizziness is strong. I feel like my body will just fall one way or the other, and it's hard to gather strength. Now I take only one dose a day, and it works just as well.

August 11, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by CLWW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor prescribed this for me due to heart palpitations to go along with another medication Pristiq. This medication did nothing for me other than increase my appetite .I gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. Have stopped taking it.

August 9, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by konstante (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I first started taking this at 5mg twice daily (10mg daily total) for generalized anxiety disorder, I was an absolute zombie, especially in the morning after taking my first dose. I was dizzy and unable to think straight. I was useless and confused at work, making my anxiety worse. Once I cut down to 2.5mg at bedtime, it was perfect for me. The ability to sleep well helped me to make better food choice, exercise more, and think more clearly. If I had more severe anxiety that needed stronger management, I don't think this medicine would have been appropriate for me, but it was great for my situation. I discontinued use during pregnancy but plan to revisit it as an option once I finish breastfeeding.

July 21, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone): I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

BuSpar (buspirone): This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM