User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

BuSpar (buspirone): "I initially was prescribed this a few months ago at 10 mg 3xd, but it made me headachy and almost made my anxiety worse, so I quit taking it. I cannot take benzos, and recently am having more problems with anxiety, so I'm trying it at 5 mg 3xd. Now I see what others have been talking positively about. It's very subtle, but apparently I was just taking too much for my system before. So far, so good."

8901l (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"I have suffered from anxiety/panic disorders for about 2 1/2 years. I was starting to feel hopeless. I would avoid places unknown and stay home a lot. I got put on buspar finally and I feel like a different person...I'm happy again and feel NORMAL. I am unbelieveably happy and can't imagine life without it. Thanks buspar!"

svavanahp April 24, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was taking ativan from a friend for my slight anxiety issue. It was 1mg I stopped it for two weeks started getting weird feelings in my head. Then had panic attack for the first time. Turns out I'm addicted to the ativan. My doctor gave me .5 ativan didn't stop the attacks and couldn't function right. I had to take a full 1 mg to function. When ever I don't take it I get a panic attack. Well my PcP gave me buspar and been doing better. I been on it two days he wants me to take 15 mg four times a day but that's too much I take 7.5 and feel normal. Taking a full 15 mg is a no no. But at the right dosage it works. Hopefully soon to kick the ativan out. Of missed worked because of this ativan problem. I don't suggest taking any benzodiazepines."

Guyver91 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I began taking buspar about six weeks ago. I am not a fan of benzos because they are addictive, I prefer to function with a clear head rather than popping a pill that sedates me so badly that maybe I'm not feeling my anxiety, but I'm also not living my life or doing much else either. Buspar has changed my life, I had completely forgotten what it was like to have a quiet mind until now. My obsessive thoughts subsided, I can leave my house without fear, I can speak to my friends and to strangers without profusely sweating and trembling, and I can drive again now that I'm not so easily stimulated. It takes a few weeks to feel the full effect, so hang in there if you just began."

Callico4215 April 20, 2016

"I take this for anxiety, it seems like it calms. Hard to tell. I had to switch the dosage. In the beginning taking 10mg was too much and it gave me a headache, so Doc said to break it in half and take it twice a day. The problem with that is, it's hard to tell now if it's working and I sometimes forget to take the other half. When I would take the whole 10mg I could tell the difference within a few minutes. Maybe I will try to take a 10mg again to see if I still get the headache since it's been over a month now. *sighs* finding the right medication is not easy!"

preciousjewel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

"Took for 3 weeks: 15 mg/day. I have GAD -and get nervous randomly, sometimes to the level of panic. This drug made me nauseous and have brain zaps. The zaps went away after a few days, but I still got nauseous for a while after taking it. Since my anxiety didn't improve, combined with the nausea not going away, I was taken off it. I'd say give it a try if your doc recommends it - I see lots of positive reviews and it's not addictive. I now take 10mg Lexapro and 5 mg Valium (as needed). Anxiety is less potent than before."

Steve Mca April 11, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Helps so much."

AprilCreations (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

"Tried this drug for 5 weeks and had no positive change and ended up having worse than normal anxiety when going from 5mg x3 daily to 10mg x 3 daily."

FLion93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was suffering from such bad anxiety that I felt desperate. I wanted it gone so I waited the six weeks it took to get into a psychiatrist. She prescribed me Buspar and within the first day the meds started to kick in. I took the first dose and then the second as she prescribed me 5mg twice a day to start. I could feel the chemicals in my brain changing and suppressing the anxiety and it was a relief! Let me warn you though, anyone with true anxiety also suffers from depression too so once the anxiety is taken care of with Buspar the depression comes on so much stronger! I'm on Zoloft and Buspar. Used to just be on Paxil until it stopped working."

cardigon1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

"I've suffered anxiety since I was a teenager. Found out my mum had cancer in fall, anxiety went from mild to severe. It got to the point where I couldn't go a day without some sort of attack. I was miserable, enough for my husband to notice and demand I go to the doctor. Didn't want to be put on anything addictive, was prescribed Buspar. 10 mg. I take as needed, sometimes only 5 mg. It works miracles for me. My only complaint is that sometimes, I'll get these brain shocks, or moments of vertigo. I don't drive while on it. But other than that, I'm glad that I can be there for my mum without having a breakdown."

abellesoleil March 30, 2016

"I really wanted this to work! Buspar (5mg twice daily) was added to my Wellbutrin to help with anxiety. Immediately noticed mild insomnia, incredibly vivid and intense dreams when I could sleep. Daily diarrhea, bloating, and bouts of vertigo. I made it 4 weeks without improvement in side effects and was forced to discontinue."

DG77 March 30, 2016

"Buspirone caused me to have horrible nightmares, could not take it."

Bobdu March 22, 2016

"I have only been taking these since yesterday 5 mg three times a day. I have taken fluoxetine as well for 10 days. Can't say I feel any different .Still feeling I'll with anxiety"

Jadedflower (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I suffer from anxiety,depression and PTSD. This medicine has proven to be a great alternative over a benzo. Being non habit forming is the best par . I do get headaches and fatigue but it is better then the side effects associated with benzo. I recommend this to anyone looking for a non addictive alternative to zanex"

Jessika N March 18, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm returning to Buspar after seven years off. Started having chronic anxiety attacks again after my wife's hysterectomy. Wish I could remember my old dosage. I tend to be drug sensitive and the 30 mg. dosage made me fuzzy. The PA that did this script was a little overzealous. Doing well on just the 15 mg. even if it is a self-adjusted dosage. After a few weeks I can have a talk with our MD and he'll probably leave it at 15 or 20."

MerricMaker (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

"It's ok. Take 5mg twice a day and although it helped with my anxiety and depression, it's given me bad side effects like nausea and diarrhea. I've had diarrhea for a week now and I've been going about 3-4 times every day. I don't know if I'll stay on it but I certainly can't live in the bathroom either. I'm out of options for anxiety medication. These side effects are awful especially if you have a very active job like I do & work in a factory. It's not fun."

Cheyenne882 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "My Dr. Prescribed due to it low dosage. And that I didn't want to take meds. I became so helpless after years of trying to cope with anxiety on my own, I finally reached a point where medicine was my only hope. It kicked in quickly, my obssesive thoughts stopped, then dosage would wear off so I started taking a higher dosage, then it made me become upset, super emo crying, not myself and finally realized it was buspar. Cut back dosage again. It made me tired all the time, couldn't concentrate, weird dreams, and loss of interest in things. Was not a good fit, I finally had to ask Dr for something else after a year it didn't work all together except for stopping obssesive thoughts. It also gave me brain zaps, memory loss, and space cadet syndr"

Worked and then stopped... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on Busiprone (10 mg twice a day) for about 2 weeks now and I have seen no improvement. My sleep is jacked up from it from either interupted sleep or vivid dreams. I dont think I'm going to continue to use it. Xanax seemed to be the only thing that has helped me so far.."

Snhende (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2016

"I had great experiences with klopin and Xanax managing my symptoms, but my doctor decided that he needed to reduce down on these scripts so he put me on Buspar and it's completely useless. So sad and extremely frustrating that doctors always seem to take you off of what works because it can be addictive. Well maybe that's because it actually works and isn't that the point of taking a medication for an ailment? I worry if I change doctors I'll appear to be a "pill seeker" or some bad news person. Really sad that because some abuse it, those who need it must suffer to. Sorry for the vent, but my point is that sadly Buspar 3 times a day and 20mg each dose does nothing for me."

Sad about the system March 1, 2016

"I've taken klonopin and/or Xanax for several years for anxiety and extreme panic attacks. I'm a single female who was homeless due to the economy. I slept in my car. I was dragged out of my car, beaten and sexually assaulted by police on several occasions. I took antidepressant meds for years and a dr added Xanax after I got back on my feet, fighting suicide for two years. These medications were a godsend to me because they work quickly. I no longer wanted to kill myself. A new Dr however has told me I need to stop benzos and prescribe buspar instead. After 6 weeks I once again feel suicidal I wake up very very groggy it takes hours to be fully conscious. My muscles & bones ache from the moment I wake up. It makes me feel worse than ever."

Terio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started taking Buspar 5mg twice a day due to anxiety of my Mom being in the hospital. Let me tell you how it affects me...positively. I take it along with Prozac 20mg once a day and the combination works WONDERS for me. I take both in the morning and the Buspar in the afternoon around 4pm. What a difference!!"

Motorcityirish (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. Would have obsessive thoughts non stop, losing sleep sometimes. Started taking buspar 5mg twice a day. Hands felt tingling and head a little cloudy but no other real side affect. Increased up to 10mg. Immediately saw improvement, no more obsessive thoughts that would normally slow me at my work. Been on it for almost a year now and have no side affects."

Sierra921 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have had anxiety for 10 years and had given up all hope for a normal life. Last year i was prescribed Buspar 15mg a day and it did nothing for me. On one of my many visits to the mental hospital I was told to try bumping it up to 40mg. A week later I had my first anxiety free day. It's now been 7 months and I haven't had a single anxiety day. I have finally started to love again, I feel normal. My doctor said that because it's not addictive and doesn't lose its effects over time like Benzos I can continue to take it indefinitely so I will. If you're on it and it's not working perhaps you may need more For me it's finally given me my life back"

Edsterytt February 22, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Well this medication improved my mood related to possible social anxiety but on the 3 day of taking I had some psychosis related side effects in aggravation then started to get very hyper but depressed bad experience"

185303pharmacydude (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I connect so much with "Frustrated Fenway Fan"'s post..I have almost disabling anxiety. I started having panic attacks at eleven years old.....I am now 33. The entire time I was treated with Xanax which I NEVER once abused...my former doctor abruptly stopped prescribing it to me because he caught wind that I had spent a year and a half fighting an opiate addiction, Suboxone saved my life...but although that is all in the past and I don't even take that medication anymore....it is on my medical history! Now.NO ONE will prescribe me any sort of benzodiazepine. I have just been prescribed Buspar. I pray it works. I just want my life back."

murphy's law (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016