User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Review by konstante (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I first started taking this at 5mg twice daily (10mg daily total) for generalized anxiety disorder, I was an absolute zombie, especially in the morning after taking my first dose. I was dizzy and unable to think straight. I was useless and confused at work, making my anxiety worse. Once I cut down to 2.5mg at bedtime, it was perfect for me. The ability to sleep well helped me to make better food choice, exercise more, and think more clearly. If I had more severe anxiety that needed stronger management, I don't think this medicine would have been appropriate for me, but it was great for my situation. I discontinued use during pregnancy but plan to revisit it as an option once I finish breastfeeding.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone): I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

BuSpar (buspirone): This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Jude29:

BuSpar (buspirone): I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."

June 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Sydneyfantastic:

BuSpar (buspirone): I suffer from severe panic attacks. This medicine left me on the couch for a week because I felt so dizzy. My vision is also "snowy" from this medication and still has not went away 2 years later.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by mimi86:

BuSpar (buspirone): I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.

June 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by aaax7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking this medicine for anxiety. I was too told that it takes a while to kick in. I'd have some anxiety here and there but for the most part it was doing it's job until a month ago when my life started over stressing with events I could not control and my anxiety started coming back pretty bad. I thought it was good until my doctor wouldn't up the dosage. I am still taking 7.5.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by Pinkiechet:

BuSpar (buspirone): I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.

May 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by Big man J (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine is not strong enough for major anxiety problems related to post traumatic stress disorder. At 60 mg per day it hardly takes the edge off.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by chronic GAD (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone): I take Lexapro 20mg once daily and 5mg (for now) three times daily. The first week I didn't notice much at all.. But now that I've been taking it for over a week I am starting to notice it's effects. Most notably when I let it dissolve under my tongue. This medication has no notable side effects. Only downside is its mildly underpowered. To me, Lexapro is the work horse, and Buspar is a helper.

May 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by rewjew:

BuSpar (buspirone): This medication caused me severe, episodic dizziness.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by alwayslmlg (taken for less than 1 month):

I had two panic attacks while on this medication. I had not had panic attacks in years. I stopped taking it and that uncontrollable anxiety got better, more like it originally was I should say.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 2:26 AM

Review by calabsv:

BuSpar (buspirone): About 3 months ago out of no where I had a severe panic attack and was rushed to hospital thinking it was a heart attack which it was not but the next day I woke up with severe anxiety, it was horrible. I tried natural remedies but nothing worked and was afraid of SSRIs because of the side effects, after some research I asked to try Buspar, it took over 2 months and playing with the dosage, I take 10 mg morning, 7.5mg afternoon and night time. I finally feel like the constant dialogue in my head is settled down to a point where I can function, hoping it just gets better from here on in. I have had no side effects at all, it may take a while for this medicine to work but stick with it. I think it's worth it.

May 7, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone): I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by KateInez:

I've been taking 10mg buspirone twice a day for 2 months now. Initial side effects were dry mouth and dizziness if taken on an empty stomach. Besides this, I didn't feel in any way "medicated" or otherwise affected. Within the first few weeks, I experienced a significant decrease in my social anxiety as well as my general anxiety. It is a night/day type difference. I interact with strangers, made new friends, can focus on my work and school without being bogged down by troublesome worry, and smile so much more. All of this without any type of sedative action or negative side effects. I was afraid to take buspirone after the terrible reaction I had to Lexapro but there is no comparison. Reviews seem split on buspirone, but it definitely helped me.

March 19, 2014 3:03 PM

Review by Punkcowboy:

BuSpar (buspirone): This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Jesh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've dealt with anxiety for a long time and it took the extra step to see a professional about it. I suffered severe weightlose and disconnection of personal relationships but let me be the first to say BuSpar can change that for some. I was first on SSRIs and they only made it worse and was constantly reading about my condition and medications with a fear of demise in the end for it all. Give this medication time and try increased dosages with your doctor's approval. They're are a lot of reviews for BuSpar where people "have no effect" but I firmly believe they did not give it time to work. Also know that you are not alone and the road to finding peace is a struggle but the ease and enjoyment of life has such rewarding worth.

March 3, 2014 1:04 AM

Review by Jimmij48:

BuSpar (buspirone): I've only been taking Buspar for 3 weeks and my anxiety is gone but I'm still depressed and irritable.

February 26, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Smokey01 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

BuSpar (buspirone): Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had postpartum anxiety pretty bad after the birth of my second child. I could not sleep and was afraid to be left alone with both kids (not because I was afraid I would harm them, I was just very overwhelmed by both of them). The doctor prescribed Buspirone and I was very hesitant. I always have bad side effects with anti-depressants or anxiety medication. It truly has been a game changer. I sleep better and can now enjoy spending time with my kids. I do get dizzy from it, but I can deal with that. I'd take dizziness over how I was feeling before the medicine any day.

February 13, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by Anti-Anxiety:

BuSpar (buspirone): I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 6:13 AM

Review by SphereR (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine was very strange. I started taking 15mg a day I had no side effects save for a bit of dizziness that goes away after 20 minutes. I reacted so well to it I thought I could ask the doctor to increase the dose since I still felt anxious well after increasing to 30mg. I totally felt like not myself. Felt like a zombie, brain fog, spaced out, memory issues, very sluggish, violent and intrusive thoughts, and suicidal ideation.

February 3, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by kcladyz (taken for less than 1 month):

I been on this medicine for 3 weeks and I do notice a positive change in my mood. My anxiety and overreacting, over worry and obsessive thoughts has greatly diminished. I worry less, get stressed less and feel better about my life. First day it was very sedating but after that felt little or nothing after taking the pill. I take 15mg twice a day.

January 18, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by Corey064875:

BuSpar (buspirone): Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone): CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 4:31 PM