User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

"Besides suffering from periodic depression from various business issues and losses I have also and more importantly suffered from general anxiety disorder since the age of 40. I am now 53. Have gone through the various SSRIs, and also benzos of which I still take klonopin once or twice a day. I have compared the efficacy of the two by staying off klonopin for a day and just exclusively usually buspar and can tell you the buspar has far more benefits than the Klonopin without the dependency of the benzo. I have also had great sexual side effects as many of the SSS have had a negative impact. So not only has my anxiety dissipated, my sex drive is great . I highly recommend this for anybody that has general anxiety disorder PTSD or social anx"

Worrywart1 June 25, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was taking Buspar along with Proactive and Xanax for 5 years...I felt great, so I stopped the Buspar. Within the last 2 months I have had to completely detox off Xanax, and it was a nightmare, I hope to never feel that way again...long story short, I'm back on my Buspar along side my Prozac and I can't remember feeling this good...The fog has lifted! !! My anxiety is all but nothing....I have never had side effects from Buspar either, and I take 15mgs twice a day. For those of you that have an anxiety disorder, this medication is definitely worth trying because you can cope so much better without all the hazy side effects from benzos. BEST OF LUCK!"

Medangel1965 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 23, 2015

"Well I have anxiety and have trouble getting to sleep or should I say don't get any sleep at all, I have lupus and fibro and I'm on prednisone and pain meds and was recently taken off of my zanax 1mg. Due to the doctor not being able to prescribe me 2 narcotics which I also think is crazy that a doctor is limited to how to treat you, I had been on zanax for 3 years and they worked for me but now due to the limitations of my doctor he gave me buspiron and I am now officially scared to try anything new I couldn't get up the next day. As if I was paralyzed and I felt so off. I thought I was about to have a siezure. I get nauseous as well. I'm now currenrly waiting to go back to my doctor to refer me to another doctor to prescibe me my zanax back again"

LupusWarrior (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar has changed my life! I absolutely love this medication. I suffer from phobias and health anxiety and this medication has worked wonders for me. As a nurse, I didn't want anything addictive and this was my miracle. I tried Ativan and it didn't even touch my anxiety. I have had no side effects with the Buspar and it has helped me to relax and feel like myself again! I highly recommend it!"

artlpn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"My dear and esteemed friends, Buspirone is in my opinion the best anxiety med I have had. It is extremely safe, nonaddictive and has no withdrawal effects. I am 32 and never panic/anxiety attacks until March of 2014 when I had kidney stone and was given Hydromorphone for the pain and it messed up my nervous system giving me pretty bad anxiety/panic attacks and a little depression. First I tried xanax 0.25 mg for awhile but it is short acting and then was given citalopram 10 mg but I stopped it because of concern for possible side effects of ssris. Finally my cousin who is a wise doctor gave me buspirone 7.5 mg and it was greaaattt!! Took it for 3 months and total dissappearance of anxiety, panic and no depression, what a blessing it is."

TheTeacher82 May 28, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was prescribed Buspar a few months ago after consistent failures with various benzos. I took 10mg x day for a while and felt nothing, went up to 20mg x day and kind of felt something, and basically I am now on 40mg x day and I can finally feel it working. It has helped significantly with my anxiety and has relieved the sexual side effects from Prozac. I take my second dose of the day at night with my Trazodone, and it has completely eradicated my fluctuating tolerancy issues with the Trazodone. I never got the brain zaps, but I occasionally get long-lasting headaches, bouts of anger, and fairly awful nightmares. Other than that, it has helped with my GAD quite a bit and is generally more helpful than not."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "Been on Buspar for 6 weeks and I'm not feeling any better. My anxiety is mild compared to most but the irritability and sometimes nervous feeling is why I elected to try Buspar. So far at 6 weeks I haven't felt any benefits. The dizziness has been hard to deal with although I found some relief with 25 - 50 mg. Dramamine."

Pushing Forward (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "My son is in high school and has taken this for 7 months. It changed his life. His anxiety over school was out of control to the point he had to be inter graded back into school. He tried Ativan and had horrible side effects and he was reluctant to try anything else after that. After about 3 months on the Buspar he walks tall into school. No more looking over his shoulder or panic attacks out to f nowhere. We wish he would've taken this years ago. The only side effect he complains of is tiredness and occasional headache. The tiredness was more so in the beginning. Those side effects are minuscule compared to his anxiety before taking Buspar."

Mountain mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2015

"3 months ago I started getting anxiety attacks daily after getting a panic attack that sent me to the ER. Dr. prescribed me Zoloft and that was a scary ordeal. He then prescribed Wellbutrin and that didnt help. Finally after doing some research I asked for Buspar and its been great. 90% less anxiety, Side effects were ( Brain Zap, A bit of dizziness, and some trouble sleeping.) Nothing too outrageous. I highly recommend this medication if you suffer from GAD"

Cali_Guy May 11, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "No help with anxiety"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was only on this for a few days until I got a tick inm y left eye and my doctor said I had to discontinue. Research indicates that in rare cases these facial ticks could be permanent which is scary. I also experienced "brain shocks/zaps"."

Outdoors123986 May 4, 2015

"I struggle with anxiety and bipolar disorder and 15 mg buspar 2x a day along with 75 mg seroquel at night has been the most effective combination for me so far"

Pey April 29, 2015

"I was previously on buspar and had to be taken off due to other issues that began. I asked to be returned once those issues subsided and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I take 10mg two times a day. No real side effects to speak of. I guess I got lucky that way."

b1976 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "First off. Side effects.... Brain zaps. Pounding heart, foggy feeling. First 3 weeks I felt the need for a lot less Ativan. The worry stopped and blood pressure came down . I'm on 5mg per day. Around week 5 I started to notice my blood pressure going back up. Acid reflux and a little nausea. Pounding heart back. I don't want to give up on buspar because I was so happy to lose the everyday worry. On week 7 now. Still at 5mg. Thinking about doing 5mg twice a day. There is no magic pill, but this was close."

Shay2015 April 18, 2015

"Eating more , not a lot of energy . It seems to take a while to work"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

"I've had social anxiety since high school and was put on Zoloft, which never worked. I eventually developed panic attacks when I was 26. I've tried Xanax for a few days after I was diagnosed and hated it. Was put on Celexa 20mg and did not see any improvement after a year. I learned to self manage and handle my anxiety attacks and knew that I wasn't going to die. I went for a few years like this until I got medical insurance. I went to the Dr. After reading reviews on Buspirone and asked if she thought it'd help with my anxiety. I took 7.5 twice a day for the first 2 weeks and noticed almost immediate (about 30 mins) relief. Yes it does make you dizzy for a few weeks but nothing you can't handle. Give it 6 wks and you'll love it!"

Mp5405 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now. We started with 5mg 3 times a day then went up to 20mg 3 times a day. I have so many different stressors in my life I was having episodes that would last a couple days at a time. Strange behavior, feeling really strange, couldn't concentrate or finish tasks, etc. So my Dr started me on effexor at first, it had terrible sexual side effects, so we went with buspiron. I haven't had any of those spells since I've been on it. I think my 3rd dose needs to be taken with dinner, for the past couple weeks I've been taking it at bed and I think its adding to my insomnia. Overall its been good."

Missy1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2015

Vanspar (buspirone): "It has made me irritable, socially awkward, has not helped my anxiety, makes me light-headed a for a bit after I take it, and gives me the general sense that something is "off""

buby1231242424t5asdg (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

"I have ADHD, Depression, and Social Anxiety Disorder. I've had little trouble treating the first two but neither of the medications I take for them have any effect on my SAD. In fact, it's been a simple fact the entirety of my adult life. Buspar was a godsend. Not even a week after starting it, I was at the pharmacy to pick up some of my partner's Rx's and I just started talking out of the blue to an elderly gentleman in front of me - the total opposite of what I would have done normally! I'm only beginning on my second month on a small (15 mg) dose to start with, but I actually feel like a part of humanity now. For some people it works, others not so much. Just give it a try if you're thinking about it."

AllisonRH March 29, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "In a nutshell, even though I did not want this drug to work because I hate taking medicine, it really does help me! I refuse to take benzos. My therapist talked me into trying buspar. It made me really tired at first. But honestly, now that I look back, I think it did that because it seemed to slow my racing mind down. So naturally, once I relaxed a bit more, my body finally could rest. My anxiety is not gone. But when I am in a place where I feel safe, I am able to relax and my mind isn't so noisy. It is a strange, new feeling."

Anxiousdaily (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

"I've been on Buspirone for about six months for anxiety. I take 10 mg twice a day. It has done absolutely nothing for me. I might as well be taking a sugar pill."

amy gi March 27, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I suffer from sever depression, severe anxiety, sever pain due to several other medical conditions and life itself. Been taking this for about 3 months and things are a lot less stressful. I can handle light social situations again. Im actually able to sleep all night again. This combined with my fleet of other meds I'm able to function a lot more. Ive been on the usual xanax and what not, those were fun but long term didn't work for me (i grew up yay) Need more meds like this on the market."

Darth Sponge (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on this medicine for about 7 months. I started at 5 mg and I felt great! But around the 4 months I got worse and ended up increasing my dose to 30 mg and now I feel even more better then before! The only side effect I experienced was a slight brain zaps but they go away after a week or two. This medicine has helped me so much I recommend this medcine!"

Gri20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I am 44 years old and have suffered from general and social anxiety as long as can remember and have used many drugs through the years. I am currently on remeron, wellbutrin and buspar. I take 10mg of buspar 3 times a day and it has a subtle calming effect on the mind and body. If you are looking for a drug that will let you forget you have anxiety, buspar is not for you. If you are looking for a drug that is non habit forming, that has a low side effect profile, has no withdrawal issues and will help you manage your anxiety than buspar is you you. Good luck."

Dcubed March 14, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "So far it hasn't helped much with the anxiety... it's actually made it worse. My hands tremble and I feel like I'm walking on the deck of a moving ship. Making an appointment with my doctor to discontinue and find a new med, as this one is freaking me out."

kikidee (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015