User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM
Review by Punkcowboy: User Rating:

This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.

March 11, 2014 1:39 AM
Review by Jimmij48: User Rating:

I've only been taking Buspar for 3 weeks and my anxiety is gone but I'm still depressed and irritable.

February 26, 2014 10:31 PM
Review by Smokey01 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.

February 22, 2014 10:34 PM
Review by Anti-Anxiety: User Rating:

I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 6:13 AM
Review by Corey064875: User Rating:

Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM
Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by Lina~Hyatt: User Rating:

This medicine has worked wonders for me... took a month to work but well worth the wait.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 14, 2013 12:22 AM
Review by boomboom77: User Rating:

I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder, I have since I was a teenager. In the past, I took Xanax as needed but it sometimes made me depressed and I worried about developing a tolerance or addiction. After less than a month on Buspar, I have already seen a major improvement. I ruminate less, my body is less tense, I am considerably less fearful (which is saying a lot because I was becoming fearful of leaving the house), I am able to tolerate stressors in a rational way, I am no longer depressed. What remains of my anxiety is manageable and it no longer interferes with my life. I began on 10mg and after a couple weeks bumped up to 15mg. I experienced insomnia the first couple days but that went away. Take with food for nausea.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 9:14 PM
Review by worked for me: User Rating:

I found that it worked better for me than anything else. After taking it for about 8 weeks, I was able to ween myself off of every other medication. This was the miracle for me.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by jah123: User Rating:

Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2013 7:25 PM
Review by WhiteKnightToo: User Rating:

This replaced Benzosiazepines and Sleeping pills, gives better rest, improved sex drive, decidedly improved social life. I'm 46m, prescribed 15mg x2 daily. Others noted the improvements first. I had no untoward side effects other than dry mouth and a few lingering panic attacks per month easily handed by low dose Xanax 0.5 mg. Various SSRI's along the way didn't help with depression this much. 5 years running. It works good.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 9:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I am 29 years old and have been on Buspar for about a year and a half and since I started taking it my sex drive is completely gone. Yes it helps my anxiety but I am too young to have a horrible sex drive!

November 25, 2013 9:27 AM
Review by crane guy: User Rating:

I have suffered from severe anxiety for about 3 years now. I've tried buspar for a little bit and it helped some but I didn't keep taking it. I just had to post what has taken 90% of my anxiety away and that's cardio exercise daily. I started going to the gym and riding the bike with the heart beat monitor on it. I got my heart beat to 120 beats per minute and held it there til I got tired, then slowed down to rest a couple minutes then speed up again.. I'm a crane operator and mostly sit all day in my crane. The very first day I sustained a higher heart rate by exercising for 15 minutes my anxiety levels plummeted. Every day after that it has gotten better. Before taking drugs for anxiety try fast walking for 15 minutes. It will help!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 24, 2013 8:09 PM
Review by anna flock: User Rating:

My psychiatrist put me on buspar after i had tried lexapro & many natural remedies in regards to my anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, & PTSD. Personally, i think that the medication fools with my depression. My depression has been inactive for almost 6 months now & so i requested ( after taking the lexapro ) that i could be put on strictly anxiety medication. I also have adhd, which i have been taking concerta for. When taking buspar i realized that, it increases my concerta side effects, makes me have depressive symptoms. I feel like it makes me have the physical effects of everything but not the actual feelings, which is frusturating because when presented it looks like more anxiety, depression, adhd, ptsd.. etc. symptoms.

October 23, 2013 2:40 PM
Review by eclectic lady (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

My son timed it several times without me knowing and discovered in 10 mins I was doing so much better, in 20 I was completely back!

October 19, 2013 1:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have Schizoaffective disorder with bipolar features as well as uncontrollable anxiety. This medicine has helped me tremendously! I take 5mg in the morning and 15mg at night so I can fall asleep. I would recommend this medicine for sure!

October 2, 2013 8:20 PM
Review by acrowell27 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have Cluster Migraines so the doctor put me on Topamax, after about 2 months I developed anxiety symptoms and a rather hateful personality so they added Buspar to take the "edge" off. It has worked well for me but I can tell when it wears off. I'm on a low dose so it just may be time to adjust( 5mg twice a day ). All in all very satisfied with this medicine. It does make you dream vividly but that doesn't bother me.

August 22, 2013 8:27 PM
Review by CMR000: User Rating:

Took 5mg. Dizziness after I initially started taking, that vanished but occasionally cropped up once in a while. Felt pretty good. Happier. Thoughts that I would normally worry about still came to me, but I was able to think about them and dismiss them, not obsess over them ALL day. Some months later though I began becoming extremely emotional. I cried all the time, became so depressed getting dressed and brushing my teeth was a huge struggle; was paranoid, wanted to hurt myself, had crazy thoughts. I would sob at the drop of a hat, which ISN'T like me at all. Took months of confusion, emptiness, anger, and loneliness to figure out it was the Buspar. Loved it in the beginning, but unfortunately it was not for me!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 22, 2013 2:31 AM
Review by StevenMme (taken for less than 1 month):

I recently started having panic attacks and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. My doctor put my on Prozac but after 5 days I was having such horrible side effects she switched me over to BuSpar 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. I am to up my dosage after 5 days to 7.5mg in the morning and then again in the evening. However, I feel dizzy, upset stomach and just exhausted. My doctor told me to give it time because I'm coming off a medicine and starting a new one at the same time. It is worse in the morning. I just want to feel better. I've had to take half of my 0.5mg Xanax just to take the edge off everyday and have zero appetite. I'm feeling hopeless and need some encouragement and help.

August 9, 2013 1:52 PM
Review by Alliera: User Rating:

I have recurring bouts with severe anxiety. Six weeks ago, I was put on 30 mg's of Buspar to be taken in the morning and at night. I got "brain zaps" (similar to Paxil withdrawal) and nausea lasting about an hour after I took the medication. True to most other medicines for anxiety, I felt as though overall, my level of anxiety increased over the first 2 weeks although I would have periods where I was not anxious. After 2 weeks the Dr raised my dose to 60 mg's. I found it best to take 4 times a day because I definitely feel it wear off. While this has taken my overall anxiety from a 9 to a 7, it is still not enough.

June 16, 2013 7:33 PM
Review by Just a nobody: User Rating:

Made me better

June 11, 2013 12:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been off and on BuSpar for a little over a year now for severe uncontrollable anxiety but I have to take a high dose for it to work. I just take it as needed. I take 40mg at night. That's when my anxiety seems to bother me the most. If my anxiety is bothering me really bad and I don't take it then I am always up all night long and sometimes 2 days straight. Overall I would recommend this medicine!

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 7, 2013 12:02 AM
Review by anxious sleeper: User Rating:

Been taking buspirone on and off for 15 years, for insomnia, anxiety, and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. Sleep is my #1 issue (or lack thereof). Very effective for insomnia almost immediately upon starting it (after a period of not taking it). I sleep easier within the first day or two. Within a week I get to sleep easier and more soundly. Ironically I've always had the side-effect of vivid memorable dreams. Doesn't seem to increase bad dreams though, just makes them more memorable. No other side effects. I have, depending on the stress in my life or other medicines being taken, generally been on 5mg/day to 20mg/day, with good results. At 30mg/day I feel dopey. Prefer to take doses later in the day, not first thing in the morning.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 23, 2013 12:29 AM
Review by Aubie171: User Rating:

Started taking Buspar 15mg 2 times a day about a month ago and I will be honest, at first I hated it! I almost quit taking it! The first week it seemed as if it was making my anxiety worse. My chest was pounding and could not sleep at all! I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did because all of that is gone now. I mainly had issues with social phobia, and I have noticed I am getting better in social situations. The only thing is every now and then I feel a little dizzy for about 20 minutes after taking it but that's it! It doesn't take anxiety away, but helps you deal with it and better rationalize things.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 21, 2013 2:21 AM