User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

"I'm 15 years old and before being on this I was a MESS. I was so anxious all the time I left school and it was just so bad I didn't hang out with friends for months but after being on it I can't even begin to explain how great I feel. I never feel nervous or anxious for ANYTHING I'm back at school , going to football games , hanging with friends everyday , and making new ones . This is the BEST. I have felt in so so long , probably ever! I'm so thankful for this medication ! It takes about 3 months for it to actually work but I HIGHLY suggest it!!!!!"

lilyRosemathers August 29, 2015

"Hey I was on Buspirone and it didn't seem to work and all I did was cut out my friends and act like a loser."

Ryan McCleery (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

"I developed depression and anxiety after my divorce 11 years ago. It comes and goes but normally some stress or change in my life can trigger it. Sometimes it is mild, and sometimes it pretty tough to deal with. I exercise a lot, try to eat healthy, keep booze to a minimum but it can be hard to shake. I have tried several anti-depressant's over the without much luck. Even though anxiety and depression tend to go hand in hand, I find anxiety to be harder to deal with. Anyway... My doctor recently suggest that I try BusPar. I read up on it and thought why not? It has only been a week (and I know it can take weeks to take effect), but I seem to be seeing some improvement. I am not as "consumed" with anxiety as a week ago."

TiredOfAnxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

"Have been on a few SSRIs (Paxil, Lexapro, and Zoloft). Zoloft pulled me out of a dark hole of severe anxiety and insomnia and kept my head above water for about a year but I never felt great on it, just able to cope with life plus I still needed ativan for sleep which I didn't like but it helped. Decided to try Buspar. Wad fairly easy to get on, minimal side effects, a lot of brain zaps, though. Mood improved after about 2 weeks, for about a week, then it just stopped working and anxiety came back hard. Also I had bad insomnia the whole time on it, even before, but this didn't help in any way. Had pretty disturbing nightmares when I did sleep. Insomnia and decline in mood forced me to get off. Took for a month. Was at 30mg 3 x day."

Brett84 (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2015

"Okay so buspar was the first medicine I took and it helped with my anxiety tremendously but the side effects sucked. I'm a female and only weigh about 115 so I'm not sure if that's why the side effects impacted me so much or what. The first day I was on it, I was fine. The only problem was I felt a little dizzy after the first 10 min of taking it but then I was fine and I would go about my regular day and I felt amazing. I took this pill everyday for about 4 days and felt fine but then one day after I took it, I was so dizzy, I could barely stand up and then I felt nauseous all day long. It was not fun. So it's kind of a hit or miss with this medicine. You either take it and feel fine or you'll have bad side effects. At least for me anyways"

Kat0201820283820 August 17, 2015

"I was taking Buspar along with Proactive and Xanax for 5 years...I felt great, so I stopped the Buspar. Within the last 2 months I have had to completely detox off Xanax, and it was a nightmare, I hope to never feel that way again...long story short, I'm back on my Buspar along side my Prozac and I can't remember feeling this good...The fog has lifted! !! My anxiety is all but nothing....I have never had side effects from Buspar either, and I take 15mgs twice a day. For those of you that have an anxiety disorder, this medication is definitely worth trying because you can cope so much better without all the hazy side effects from benzos. BEST OF LUCK!"

Medangel1965 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 23, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Buspar has changed my life! I absolutely love this medication. I suffer from phobias and health anxiety and this medication has worked wonders for me. As a nurse, I didn't want anything addictive and this was my miracle. I tried Ativan and it didn't even touch my anxiety. I have had no side effects with the Buspar and it has helped me to relax and feel like myself again! I highly recommend it!"

artlpn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed Buspar a few months ago after consistent failures with various benzos. I took 10mg x day for a while and felt nothing, went up to 20mg x day and kind of felt something, and basically I am now on 40mg x day and I can finally feel it working. It has helped significantly with my anxiety and has relieved the sexual side effects from Prozac. I take my second dose of the day at night with my Trazodone, and it has completely eradicated my fluctuating tolerancy issues with the Trazodone. I never got the brain zaps, but I occasionally get long-lasting headaches, bouts of anger, and fairly awful nightmares. Other than that, it has helped with my GAD quite a bit and is generally more helpful than not."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

"Been on Buspar for 6 weeks and I'm not feeling any better. My anxiety is mild compared to most but the irritability and sometimes nervous feeling is why I elected to try Buspar. So far at 6 weeks I haven't felt any benefits. The dizziness has been hard to deal with although I found some relief with 25 - 50 mg. Dramamine."

Pushing Forward (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"My son is in high school and has taken this for 7 months. It changed his life. His anxiety over school was out of control to the point he had to be inter graded back into school. He tried Ativan and had horrible side effects and he was reluctant to try anything else after that. After about 3 months on the Buspar he walks tall into school. No more looking over his shoulder or panic attacks out to f nowhere. We wish he would've taken this years ago. The only side effect he complains of is tiredness and occasional headache. The tiredness was more so in the beginning. Those side effects are minuscule compared to his anxiety before taking Buspar."

Mountain mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"No help with anxiety"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

"I was only on this for a few days until I got a tick inm y left eye and my doctor said I had to discontinue. Research indicates that in rare cases these facial ticks could be permanent which is scary. I also experienced "brain shocks/zaps"."

Outdoors123986 May 4, 2015

"First off. Side effects.... Brain zaps. Pounding heart, foggy feeling. First 3 weeks I felt the need for a lot less Ativan. The worry stopped and blood pressure came down . I'm on 5mg per day. Around week 5 I started to notice my blood pressure going back up. Acid reflux and a little nausea. Pounding heart back. I don't want to give up on buspar because I was so happy to lose the everyday worry. On week 7 now. Still at 5mg. Thinking about doing 5mg twice a day. There is no magic pill, but this was close."

Shay2015 April 18, 2015

"In a nutshell, even though I did not want this drug to work because I hate taking medicine, it really does help me! I refuse to take benzos. My therapist talked me into trying buspar. It made me really tired at first. But honestly, now that I look back, I think it did that because it seemed to slow my racing mind down. So naturally, once I relaxed a bit more, my body finally could rest. My anxiety is not gone. But when I am in a place where I feel safe, I am able to relax and my mind isn't so noisy. It is a strange, new feeling."

Anxiousdaily (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffer from sever depression, severe anxiety, sever pain due to several other medical conditions and life itself. Been taking this for about 3 months and things are a lot less stressful. I can handle light social situations again. Im actually able to sleep all night again. This combined with my fleet of other meds I'm able to function a lot more. Ive been on the usual xanax and what not, those were fun but long term didn't work for me (i grew up yay) Need more meds like this on the market."

Darth Sponge (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

"I've been on this medicine for about 7 months. I started at 5 mg and I felt great! But around the 4 months I got worse and ended up increasing my dose to 30 mg and now I feel even more better then before! The only side effect I experienced was a slight brain zaps but they go away after a week or two. This medicine has helped me so much I recommend this medcine!"

Gri20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 44 years old and have suffered from general and social anxiety as long as can remember and have used many drugs through the years. I am currently on remeron, wellbutrin and buspar. I take 10mg of buspar 3 times a day and it has a subtle calming effect on the mind and body. If you are looking for a drug that will let you forget you have anxiety, buspar is not for you. If you are looking for a drug that is non habit forming, that has a low side effect profile, has no withdrawal issues and will help you manage your anxiety than buspar is you you. Good luck."

Dcubed March 14, 2015

"So far it hasn't helped much with the anxiety... it's actually made it worse. My hands tremble and I feel like I'm walking on the deck of a moving ship. Making an appointment with my doctor to discontinue and find a new med, as this one is freaking me out."

kikidee (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015

"I've only been taking Buspar for a few days, and I haven't noticed any anxiety. But the side effects make me sick as, but are temporarily, and I think mine are magnified because I'm on so many medications. So far it works and is also used for sex dysfunction, which has helped my sex life with my partner. To each their own. Definitely do not drive on this medication."

MissADH (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2015

"PTSD. Seemed to help some. Have bit of dizzy loopy for about 15 to 30 minutes after taking then ok. Was taking other meds and got sick and barfed often. Quit taking and nausea stopped. After a couple of months feeling quite anxious so started up Buspar again and anxiety seems to be very much calmed down. I plan to space meds out throughout day and find a schedule where my tummy doesn't feel so nauseated."

Anon_234987 March 3, 2015

"I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time."

Whitneigh February 15, 2015

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Besides getting dizzy haven't noticed any effect."

Btothenyc January 31, 2015

"Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety. "

Beckylg January 23, 2015

"The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck."

Checkerberry (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2015

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back."

Just call me A January 5, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next