User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

Review by bstyll:

I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Dylan M:

I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.

October 27, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety.

October 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Jane8744:

I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!

August 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Jude29:

I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Sydneyfantastic:

I suffer from severe panic attacks. This medicine left me on the couch for a week because I felt so dizzy. My vision is also "snowy" from this medication and still has not went away 2 years later.

June 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by mimi86:

I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by Pinkiechet:

I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by chronic GAD (taken for less than 1 month):

I take Lexapro 20mg once daily and 5mg (for now) three times daily. The first week I didn't notice much at all.. But now that I've been taking it for over a week I am starting to notice it's effects. Most notably when I let it dissolve under my tongue. This medication has no notable side effects. Only downside is its mildly underpowered. To me, Lexapro is the work horse, and Buspar is a helper.

May 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by rewjew:

This medication caused me severe, episodic dizziness.

May 17, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by calabsv:

About 3 months ago out of no where I had a severe panic attack and was rushed to hospital thinking it was a heart attack which it was not but the next day I woke up with severe anxiety, it was horrible. I tried natural remedies but nothing worked and was afraid of SSRIs because of the side effects, after some research I asked to try Buspar, it took over 2 months and playing with the dosage, I take 10 mg morning, 7.5mg afternoon and night time. I finally feel like the constant dialogue in my head is settled down to a point where I can function, hoping it just gets better from here on in. I have had no side effects at all, it may take a while for this medicine to work but stick with it. I think it's worth it.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Punkcowboy:

This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Jimmij48:

I've only been taking Buspar for 3 weeks and my anxiety is gone but I'm still depressed and irritable.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Smokey01 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.

February 22, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by Anti-Anxiety:

I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.

164 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 6:13 AM

Review by Corey064875:

Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Lina~Hyatt:

This medicine has worked wonders for me... took a month to work but well worth the wait.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 12:22 AM