User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Jude29:

I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."

June 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Sydneyfantastic:

I suffer from severe panic attacks. This medicine left me on the couch for a week because I felt so dizzy. My vision is also "snowy" from this medication and still has not went away 2 years later.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by mimi86:

I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.

June 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by Pinkiechet:

I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.

May 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by chronic GAD (taken for less than 1 month):

I take Lexapro 20mg once daily and 5mg (for now) three times daily. The first week I didn't notice much at all.. But now that I've been taking it for over a week I am starting to notice it's effects. Most notably when I let it dissolve under my tongue. This medication has no notable side effects. Only downside is its mildly underpowered. To me, Lexapro is the work horse, and Buspar is a helper.

May 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by rewjew:

This medication caused me severe, episodic dizziness.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by calabsv:

About 3 months ago out of no where I had a severe panic attack and was rushed to hospital thinking it was a heart attack which it was not but the next day I woke up with severe anxiety, it was horrible. I tried natural remedies but nothing worked and was afraid of SSRIs because of the side effects, after some research I asked to try Buspar, it took over 2 months and playing with the dosage, I take 10 mg morning, 7.5mg afternoon and night time. I finally feel like the constant dialogue in my head is settled down to a point where I can function, hoping it just gets better from here on in. I have had no side effects at all, it may take a while for this medicine to work but stick with it. I think it's worth it.

May 7, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Punkcowboy:

This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Jimmij48:

I've only been taking Buspar for 3 weeks and my anxiety is gone but I'm still depressed and irritable.

February 26, 2014 10:31 PM

Review by Smokey01 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by Anti-Anxiety:

I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 6:13 AM

Review by Corey064875:

Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Lina~Hyatt:

This medicine has worked wonders for me... took a month to work but well worth the wait.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 12:22 AM

Review by boomboom77:

I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder, I have since I was a teenager. In the past, I took Xanax as needed but it sometimes made me depressed and I worried about developing a tolerance or addiction. After less than a month on Buspar, I have already seen a major improvement. I ruminate less, my body is less tense, I am considerably less fearful (which is saying a lot because I was becoming fearful of leaving the house), I am able to tolerate stressors in a rational way, I am no longer depressed. What remains of my anxiety is manageable and it no longer interferes with my life. I began on 10mg and after a couple weeks bumped up to 15mg. I experienced insomnia the first couple days but that went away. Take with food for nausea.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 9:14 PM

Review by worked for me:

I found that it worked better for me than anything else. After taking it for about 8 weeks, I was able to ween myself off of every other medication. This was the miracle for me.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by jah123:

Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by WhiteKnightToo:

This replaced Benzosiazepines and Sleeping pills, gives better rest, improved sex drive, decidedly improved social life. I'm 46m, prescribed 15mg x2 daily. Others noted the improvements first. I had no untoward side effects other than dry mouth and a few lingering panic attacks per month easily handed by low dose Xanax 0.5 mg. Various SSRI's along the way didn't help with depression this much. 5 years running. It works good.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 9:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am 29 years old and have been on Buspar for about a year and a half and since I started taking it my sex drive is completely gone. Yes it helps my anxiety but I am too young to have a horrible sex drive!

November 25, 2013 9:27 AM

Review by crane guy:

I have suffered from severe anxiety for about 3 years now. I've tried buspar for a little bit and it helped some but I didn't keep taking it. I just had to post what has taken 90% of my anxiety away and that's cardio exercise daily. I started going to the gym and riding the bike with the heart beat monitor on it. I got my heart beat to 120 beats per minute and held it there til I got tired, then slowed down to rest a couple minutes then speed up again.. I'm a crane operator and mostly sit all day in my crane. The very first day I sustained a higher heart rate by exercising for 15 minutes my anxiety levels plummeted. Every day after that it has gotten better. Before taking drugs for anxiety try fast walking for 15 minutes. It will help!

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by anna flock:

My psychiatrist put me on buspar after i had tried lexapro & many natural remedies in regards to my anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, & PTSD. Personally, i think that the medication fools with my depression. My depression has been inactive for almost 6 months now & so i requested ( after taking the lexapro ) that i could be put on strictly anxiety medication. I also have adhd, which i have been taking concerta for. When taking buspar i realized that, it increases my concerta side effects, makes me have depressive symptoms. I feel like it makes me have the physical effects of everything but not the actual feelings, which is frusturating because when presented it looks like more anxiety, depression, adhd, ptsd.. etc. symptoms.

October 23, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by eclectic lady (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My son timed it several times without me knowing and discovered in 10 mins I was doing so much better, in 20 I was completely back!

October 19, 2013 1:26 PM