Medication Guide App

6.5
Summary of BuSpar reviews 203 reviews 6.8

Reviews for BuSpar

Review by Gri20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been on this medicine for about 7 months. I started at 5 mg and I felt great! But around the 4 months I got worse and ended up increasing my dose to 30 mg and now I feel even more better then before! The only side effect I experienced was a slight brain zaps but they go away after a week or two. This medicine has helped me so much I recommend this medcine!

March 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Review by kikidee (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: So far it hasn't helped much with the anxiety... it's actually made it worse. My hands tremble and I feel like I'm walking on the deck of a moving ship. Making an appointment with my doctor to discontinue and find a new med, as this one is freaking me out.

March 11, 2015 2:35 PM

Review by Jamrom324:

For Panic Disorder: I was on Buspirone with my Paxil. It worked well with the Paxil. However, it did not work at all by itself. I had to quit taking Paxil, due to an interaction with my seizure medicine. The Buspirone made me have anxiety, and everytime I took it, I felt like my brain was getting shocked with electricity.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 11:34 AM

Review by MissADH (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've only been taking Buspar for a few days, and I haven't noticed any anxiety. But the side effects make me sick as, but are temporarily, and I think mine are magnified because I'm on so many medications. So far it works and is also used for sex dysfunction, which has helped my sex life with my partner. To each their own. Definitely do not drive on this medication.

March 5, 2015 1:30 PM

Review by Whitneigh:

For Anxiety: I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Review by MickeyMighty:

For Panic Disorder: My panic disorder started very gradually. At first it was a slight panic that lasted for a min or two when I was driving, then it slowly intruded into my life. At some worst points I was unable to sleep for a week. I might be able to doze off for an hour or two, and then I'd wake up with a racing heart. Buspar helped at first, I was only on 5mg for five months, never went up in dose. After about 5 months, stressful events like job interviews pretty much made this med ineffective for me. I really liked this med as it had no side effects for me. No dizziness or nausea or "brain zaps". My doctor put me on Paxil instead. Just started it, but it seems to be working. My pulse is still about 20 beats above my normal rate, but it doesn't bother me.

February 13, 2015 2:56 PM

Review by Btothenyc:

For Anxiety: Besides getting dizzy haven't noticed any effect.

January 31, 2015 8:51 AM

Review by Beckylg:

For Anxiety: Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Review by Checkerberry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 6:14 PM

Review by Just call me A:

For Anxiety: I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back.

January 5, 2015 10:07 PM

Review by glassygirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been taking 15 mg 2x/day with good results. My social anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. I have been taking Ambien almost every night for the past 4 years and now down to less than 1x/week. That to me has made it worth it.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by bstyll:

For Anxiety: I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Racing Turtles (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been taking Buspar for a month, following a period of elevating anxiety that was turning my life into a joyless state of constant worry and anxious, obsessive, unhelpful thoughts. My psychiatrist warned it would take 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement - I noticed significant improvement within *hours* of pill #1 with minor and bearable side effects. At other low periods, I was medicated for depression without benefit, and sometimes terrible side effects (Prozac: auditory hallucinations; Celexa: crazy hot flashes). Unfortunately I seem to be noticing decreasing benefit. I have been taking just 7.5 mg/day so today I doubled to the full 15mg I was prescribed. Hope it works! This medicine has given me real hope.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by Stef138:

For Anxiety: I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it.

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by Dylan M:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Addvoc84kids (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year.

October 26, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!

189 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety.

October 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.

248 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

231 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Jane8744:

For Anxiety: I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!

August 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

For Anxiety: This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Rina123:

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: I've been taking 15mg of BuSpar for 1 month now. It started working around week 3. I can gratetfully say that it is working for the sexual side effects. This medication is a life saver!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 2:51 PM