User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 94 reviews 751 medications

6.4
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 94 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I've been taking Benzonatate 3x a day for a week with Allegra 1x a day as prescribed and plenty of fluids. It's done absolutely NOTHING for my persistent, dry cough. Despite the Minute Clinic diagnosing allergies (which would be a first and BTW I live on a farm), I suspect I have a cold turned sinus infection because, before I got these symptoms, at least one work colleague, one neighbor, and my husband have had the cough which has, in their cases, come and gone. So thumbs down on Benzonatate for me."

MKB345 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015

For Cough: "Not effective at all, no side affects. On day four with no change in my cough. Disappointed really wanted some relief."

Mary Pe June 24, 2015

For Cough: "Took one yesterday because i've had a persistent cough for almost 3 weeks. I literally could not breathe after taking this. I had shortness of breath until I went to sleep and it scared me. I don't know if this is a common side effect but definitely staying away from this although I wished it had worked. Also, I didn't stop coughing once."

Hg5 (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

For Cough: "I started taking this medication due to a severe cough from a sinus infection. It took two days to start working . I guess it has to get in your system good. I love it and if I ever get a severe cough like this again, I would definitely ask my doctor for a refill!! Wonder drug! #I'mhappyandrelieved!!!"

elmwood1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

For Cough: "I took one of these tessalon perles for an upper respiratory infection and I thought I was going to die! I started salivating like I was going to throw up but didn't and at the same time I felt like I was choking to death from deep down in my esophagus or chest area. I don't know if my hiatal hernia has anything to do with this but I cannot ever take this medication again. I should have went to the ER but I didn't. It lasted about 3 hours and finally went away on it's own."

Shyllie June 2, 2015

For Cough: "Have bronchitis and this doesn't stop me from coughing. OTC cough syrups are better"

You Gotta Be Kidding May 19, 2015

For Cough: "I've been on these pills for 2 days and no relief from the coughing at all."

Scubacy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Cough: "Still had urge to cough didn't work at all"

donyalynette11111 April 22, 2015

For Cough: "Diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Took this and immediately felt relief. Helped with the cough."

sickwithpneumonia April 11, 2015

For Cough: "Very rough cough for 3 days. Cough was dry with green mucus. Doc advised me to not take antihistamines at all and just stick to Tessalon. Glad I did! Cough 80% suppressed after 2 dosages. Plenty of water and 100% rest."

miamicoughs (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

For Cough: "I purchased this medicine this morning at 7 however due to side effect warnings I waited until 3pm to take it when someone would be home. It is working wonders. My cough has stopped. This was given to me for a cough due to bronchitis. I will keep this in my arsenal of medicines because it seems now that I am 60 years old I have a cough most times I get sick. I am very satisfied with this and will recommend to others."

paulsgramma March 17, 2015

For Cough: "This is a miracle medicine. I had a horrible cough for weeks, I started the medicine last night. It took about 30 minutes to reduce & calm my coughing fits. The one thing I do NOT like is the ability it has to impair your thinking/judgment "loopy" feeling I get, then the excessiveness drowsiness. Other than that, I love how it works for me!"

Anonymous March 11, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Had a horrible cough from a cold this medicine took the cough away totally. Great prescription"

Jaybla36 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

For Cough: "I have taken this medicine and so far nothing still coughing my head off I have coughed to so much my chest hurts and I've been vomiting and even after I took it still coughing my head off"

Anonymous February 25, 2015

For Cough: "I went to my PCP almost a week ago, and was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed 24-hour Zyrtec (antihistamine), and Amoxicillan (antihistamine). Not good enough. The Amoxicillan turned the phlegm from yellow-green to clear, but the Zydeco didn't help with the massive mucus nor post nasal drip, cough or sneezing. So I added regular doses of Benadryl antihistamine, Guafenesin (expectorant) and continued with the Benzonatate. This "cocktail" is working well with plenty of water and re-dosing every 5-6 hours. Makes me a tad bit drowsy, but I have suffered from insomnia and anxiety for years, so I enjoying the slight drowsiness."

Grammy Gayle February 22, 2015

For Cough: "I have used benzonatate for a couple of years with great success. Due to side effects of another med, allergies, etc. I seem to have an on-going cough. I save use of benzonatate for times when I am around people (church, restaurants, etc) and have instant results with no side effects. Now my druggist tells me that they can't get shipments as "insurance" companies say they don't work and will not pay for them. Like all meds I'm sure they work for some and not for others but to not be willing to get the med and fill my subscription sounds unreasonable. I WANT MY LITTLE MAGIC PILL AND I'LL PAY FOR THEM! Has anyone else had a problem getting prescriptions filled. Yes, my insurance has paid for the med until last week when it refused."

B Mama February 12, 2015

For Cough: "I've been taking this for 5 days and it hasn't help to reduce or suppress my cough at all. Was diagnosed with bronchitis and this did help to stop the chest pain for all the coughing but I'm still miserable. No side effects from this medicine."

angie d. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I've had a horrible cough for two weeks and for the past two days have a dry persistent cough that sounds horrific. I was prescribed Tessalon Perles 100mg twice a day and immediately stopped coughing. This medicine is wonderful and suppresses the urge to cough. I highly recommend this medicine. It does make you drowsy."

SunnyInSoCal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Had a dry hacking very painful deep cough. Kaiser prescribed Tessalon, coughing stopped within 20-30 minutes. Has not started back up. I've been using it for 24 hours. One pill every 8 hours."

sick in Calif (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have reoccuring respiratory infections, bronchitis...I had a very trying case last year with an abnormally persistent cough. Tessalon perles was prescribed for the cough. It was a God send! Worked so well! I have recommended it to everyone who has complained about coughing. Very, very effective for me."

fromohio (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

For Cough: "It definitely helped with my cough. But for some reason this medication makes me extremely nauseous. Had to stop taking for a few days. Hope I can finish taking it because it does help with the cough."

begorgeous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

For Cough: "This medicine I used when I had a really bad cough with the flu and it works amazing within ten minutes of consuming the medicine my cough was suppressed. Works wonders & lasts for a long time!"

Raylozano January 25, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was hesitant to take this, but a persistent cough and chronic bronchitis that was well into week 9 left me little choice. I am typically sensitive to most medications. Especially stimulants which is why I was so hesitant. However - I noticed a near immediate suppression of my coughing attacks which would leave me breathless and gasping to the point I was almost vomitting. It took about 30 mins but I noticed it, and will be taking this again in the future if I have an option to!"

Bashmyshell (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was sick for a few days and the constant coughing was making my chest hurt. I thought I had bronchitis or something worse so I ended up going to the ER. The doctor prescribed Tessalon Perle. I figured it was a "magic" pill after hearing about the side effects. Cool! I took one. I did noticed the cough was reduced but still there. I did sleep better that night after taking 1 pill. By the next day, my cough was gone. I did have a lot of green mucus so I took Tylenol severe cold. I did cough but it was to bring up all that mucus. I feel better after 2 days and 4 pill later."

sharonbze January 3, 2015

For Cough: "It did not help my cough or control my urge to cough."

Anonymous December 11, 2014