User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 79 reviews 770 medications

6.6
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 79 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: I have taken this medicine and so far nothing still coughing my head off I have coughed to so much my chest hurts and I've been vomiting and even after I took it still coughing my head off

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 12:05 AM

Review by angie d. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: I've been taking this for 5 days and it hasn't help to reduce or suppress my cough at all. Was diagnosed with bronchitis and this did help to stop the chest pain for all the coughing but I'm still miserable. No side effects from this medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 12:54 PM

Review by SunnyInSoCal (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I've had a horrible cough for two weeks and for the past two days have a dry persistent cough that sounds horrific. I was prescribed Tessalon Perles 100mg twice a day and immediately stopped coughing. This medicine is wonderful and suppresses the urge to cough. I highly recommend this medicine. It does make you drowsy.

February 6, 2015 3:56 PM

Review by sick in Calif (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: Had a dry hacking very painful deep cough. Kaiser prescribed Tessalon, coughing stopped within 20-30 minutes. Has not started back up. I've been using it for 24 hours. One pill every 8 hours.

January 31, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by fromohio (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I have reoccuring respiratory infections, bronchitis...I had a very trying case last year with an abnormally persistent cough. Tessalon perles was prescribed for the cough. It was a God send! Worked so well! I have recommended it to everyone who has complained about coughing. Very, very effective for me.

January 30, 2015 8:38 PM

Review by begorgeous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: It definitely helped with my cough. But for some reason this medication makes me extremely nauseous. Had to stop taking for a few days. Hope I can finish taking it because it does help with the cough.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 9:36 PM

Review by Raylozano:

For Cough: This medicine I used when I had a really bad cough with the flu and it works amazing within ten minutes of consuming the medicine my cough was suppressed. Works wonders & lasts for a long time!

January 25, 2015 7:47 PM

Review by Bashmyshell (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I was hesitant to take this, but a persistent cough and chronic bronchitis that was well into week 9 left me little choice. I am typically sensitive to most medications. Especially stimulants which is why I was so hesitant. However - I noticed a near immediate suppression of my coughing attacks which would leave me breathless and gasping to the point I was almost vomitting. It took about 30 mins but I noticed it, and will be taking this again in the future if I have an option to!

January 4, 2015 10:31 PM

Review by sharonbze:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I was sick for a few days and the constant coughing was making my chest hurt. I thought I had bronchitis or something worse so I ended up going to the ER. The doctor prescribed Tessalon Perle. I figured it was a "magic" pill after hearing about the side effects. Cool! I took one. I did noticed the cough was reduced but still there. I did sleep better that night after taking 1 pill. By the next day, my cough was gone. I did have a lot of green mucus so I took Tylenol severe cold. I did cough but it was to bring up all that mucus. I feel better after 2 days and 4 pill later.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 9:44 AM

For Cough: It did not help my cough or control my urge to cough.

December 11, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Taylor...:

For Cough: Benzonatate is not helping relieve my cough or the "tickle" at the back of my throat. May be making it worse.

December 1, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Eluc:

For Cough: I haven't had any relief from my coughing. In fact I believe they're making my cough worse. Can't sleep.

November 8, 2014 5:30 AM

Review by sick and itchy (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I was really sick for a week and went in to see my doctor for cough that was uncontrollable. He first prescribed amoxicillin. That did not help with my cough. Then I was prescribed Tessalon Perles and it seemed to work. I was having itchiness all over my body. Also welts. I then realized it was the Tessalon Perles that was doing it. I stopped taking them. Now I don't itch but still have a cough.

October 21, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by freddie1219:

For Cough: After I started this medication my chin became numb after 3 days. I stopped this after 5 days of additional numbness throughout my lower jaw my teeth started to hurt also. I am of this medicine for 10 days now and my chin is still numb.

June 17, 2014 9:39 PM

Review by kirasea (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: For me, these are wonderful - IF I don't have to drive anywhere, or work. I've been on every other cough suppression & this definitely works the best for coughing fits! They also give me a "sedated" feeling, but not to the point where I need to go to sleep.

June 6, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by Thankfullll:

For Cough: I took Benzonatate about a year ago. I get really bad allergies which triggers my asthma which leads to me having a terrible cough. My doctor prescribed me benzonatate and it worked very well for me. I felt like I couldn't breathe and once I took the pill about 30 mins to an hour later I felt like a new person. Currently it is allergy season for me so, unfortunately I am in the same position once again. I took benzonatate earlier today and thankfully it worked for me once again.

May 8, 2014 3:32 AM

Review by claudhopperp:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: This medicine is amazing! Love it! Helps me every time I get sick with a cough! I have also recommend to all my family and friends!

May 6, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by KateCP:

For Cough: I had flu with a bad cough. The other flu symptoms resolved after a few days but the cough did not. I was prescribed benzonatate as a cough suppressant. I took one capsule, and within about 20 minutes, my sinuses were clogged and congested. This means I can't breathe through my nose, which means I'm breathing through my mouth, which makes my mouth and throat dry, which causes me to cough, which is the thing that was supposed to go away with this medicine. It's done absolutely nothing for the cough, and just gave me a cold on top of flu.

March 23, 2014 5:37 AM

Review by Winkick:

For Cough: I didn't have a runny nose or cough which I told my doctor,just a very sore throat, ear pain, fatigue and fever. He prescribed me the Benzonatate caps 100mg and as directed I took them and 3 days later still feel the same No different. The pills have started to make me cough but not bad. Sometimes after taking the pills I fall asleep and wake up because I can't breathe. I don't feel it's helped me at all.

February 15, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by flrman (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: Did not work. Coughing so hard my back hurts.

January 13, 2014 11:50 AM

Review by strange one (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: This medicine helps my cough, but makes me feel like I'm not breathing. I am, but I just feel like I'm not. And it knocks me out in about thirty minutes, off and on for about four hours.

December 12, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by MarkAM (taken for 10 years or more):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: The BEST medication for controlling my cough due to recurring and sometimes chronic bronchitis. I have never had any side effects whatsoever. I just stop coughing.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2013 10:50 AM

Review by Jenny B.:

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: My sister loaned me a few of her Benzonatate while I was at her house suffering from a cough. It worked very well. Now I am on antibiotics and have just gotten home from a 9 hour drive. This is day three and I am hacking and hacking!!! Not working so I added a 400 mg. Guaifenesin to my regimen. Seems to be calming down finally but the cough and congestion is still terrible. I will report back in 24 hours to see if the combination of the two works.

November 13, 2013 6:44 PM

Review by Nanny Vicki:

For Cough: Didn't work for me even though the NP who prescribed it swore it was the best medicine for coughs

October 30, 2013 1:13 AM

Review by Mommy to five (taken for less than 1 month):

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: Love it. Much better than other meds I've used.

September 5, 2013 5:07 AM