User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 143 reviews 784 medications

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 143 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Benzonatate

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "After being unable to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time for three nights in a row even with my head elevated on several pillows, the doctor gave me this. My nonstop dry cough stopped for up to 5 hours, and then it came back, but less severe. It doesn't last 8 hours, but it allowed me to get some much needed sleep. Sucking sugar free cherry Luden's cough drop, and/or swallowing a teaspoon of honey without water help also. Also take Mucinex to thin secretions."

Tired of coughing May 1, 2016

For Cough: "Prescribed for dry bronchitis cough that did not clear on its own and was keeping me up at night when OTC syrups weren't cutting it. The 100mg capsules worked nearly immediately for me, though didn't last the full 8 hours."

Brian the TV guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Just started using tessalon perles while having a horrible cough from bronchitis. Very shortly after taking first dose I am hardly coughing at all! That's awesome as last night I was coughing so much I woke up with no voice! Not having any side effects from it as others have reported. Love it!!"

Befought April 4, 2016

For Cough: "Terrible side effects after taking 200mg. I felt like I was hallucinating; going crazy feeling. Sinus areas inflamed almost immediately with headache. I'll never take this again."

Fbr March 31, 2016

For Cough: "I've had coughs that would last almost whole winter n taken very expensive cough meds funny how now I have the flu and this benzsonate pills are the only thing that has worked"

Mikey c g (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

For Cough: "This medicine doesn't work at all. It should be discontinued. Clinic prescribed it to me because they aren't allow to prescribe medicine that actually works, like codeine cough syrup. Now I'm heading into my 2nd night hacking and coughing with no relief in sight."

Chickachicka March 21, 2016

For Cough: "Have had this stupid cough for 2 weeks now, taking this medicine for 3 days now & has not done anything, no change whatsoever...I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do! :("

LindaYB (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

For Cough: "Well, I guess it took away my cough but it was just a cough. It did way more than than just a cough. I stopped taking the medication 2 days ago now I'm really mentally confused and having so much hallucinations. I know it might say that side effect online but it didn't on the bottle. She didn't even tell us what she was gonna give us. She just put the medications and walked out for 30 minutes and left us in there then came back and left. After the first day of taking them I started to get depressed. To the point that I won't even eat. I lost a lot of weight and I started to have horrible hallucinations. It kept me up all night crying scared because I didn't know what the hell was going on. Hate that she gave this at a kids Doctor."

Kaileyav February 27, 2016

For Cough: "I developed dry cough for 6 days after having a sore throat. Not being able to sleep at all for almost a week, I finally went to see a doctor. He prescribed 10mg Clarintin and claimed I have post nasal drip, I was skeptical since I didn't have nose issue but took it since I don't want to doubt his professionalism, true enough I was still coughing the following 2 days which made me even more cranky due to the lacked of sleep. Thanks to everyone on this site, I found hope and call the doctor back to ask him for Benzonatate 200mg. After taking for 2 days and three times a day, I was finally sleeping! Remember that this drug works best for dry cough like one of the reviewer said and wet cough might not see result as quickly or as effectively!"

Hipster Cat February 21, 2016

For Cough: "Have bronchitis after living with a severe cough for 3-4 weeks... went to urgent care because I was unable to get in the same day to my own doctor. I was giving Benzonatate @ 200 mg., 3 times a day. Along with cheratussin ac 10mg at bedtime... It's been over 24 hours and not seeing much improvement. This will be my second night and I am guessing I will have another poor night of sleep. I was hoping for a quicker result. Family members are telling me I sound just awful.. not working for me."

Tripper421 February 20, 2016

For Cough: "I was prescribed this for a lingering cough two years ago, along with antibiotics. It seemed to help a little. I'm taking it again now and it has no effect at all. Tussionex works much better, but I think doctors are hesitant to prescribe it because it has a a narcotic in it."

Nightcougher February 16, 2016

For Cough: "I was diagnosed with bronchitis and was prescribed 100mg dosage. At my pharmacist's suggestion I started off by taking 200mg. This medication had no effect on my cough whatsoever. I think it belongs in the placebo aisle. Robitussin with codeine actually works, but when I asked my doctor for it he substituted this worthless concoction. When I got to the pharmacy they were actually out of this junk and refused to call my physician and offer a substitute. Instead, they called pharmacies around town and sent me to a competitor to get this stuff. It appears the Benzonatate sales force has a lock on both the doctors and pharmacists. I wish I had known how ineffective this stuff is on coughs before I went to the pharmacy."

JimG74 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

For Cough: "Worked well for me. Didn't last the full 8 hours but let me get through work. My cough was so bad I pulled a muscle and was throwing up. Also, it helped me be able to sleep instead of coughing all night. I was prescribed 1-2 capsules every 8 hours. 100mg."

haylery (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

For Cough: "Taking benzonatate 2x 100mg - 3x day on my second day of use and no effect at all, not even confusion or dizziness others have commented on. The doctor didn't even think I was taking it when I went in for a follow up appointment. Also taking levofloxacin 500mg 1x day and magnesium oxide 2 hours after the levofloxacin."

fyrye (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For Cough: "I had to go to the ER tonight. I had viral respitatory illness. My head was throbbing with pressure from sinus's being stuffed up and my ears and throat burned. I was short of breath and my chest hurt when I would breath and I could stop coughing. They prescribed me this and tussinex. I stopped coughing within 20 mins and I feel So much better. No coughing my my sinus's are drying up and I can breath again ! Miracle drug ! Amazing!"

Anna09847 January 30, 2016

For Cough: "chronic sinusitis, allergies and asthma"

sinucat (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This is the second bronchitis episide (6 months apart) that I have used Tessalon perles. They are like a miracle that let me stop coughing so severely and also sleep at night! I tried taking just 1 when first prescribed and didn't notice any improvement, so I've found 2 at each dose works miracles for me!"

Barbara RN (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This stuff caused me not to think clearly and I suffered a lot of side effects but I still coughed. Not what it is supposed to be. Would not wish this stuff on anyone. I am still recovering from just taking it for 3 days."

LadySnow (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

For Cough: "Took Robitussin cough syrup - didn't do much. Was sleeping a lot due to pain. Took Tessalon Perles but cough started coming back within 30 mins to an hour. Not helpful at all as far as I can tell. I have very bad cold with non stop cough. Nothing is working. If you need to go to work or if your child needs to go to school, ask about antibiotics because Tessalon didn't do anything for me."

Mary Janes January 6, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "My husband has had the worst cough for over a week, took Tessalon Perles, after 2 doses got his first full nights sleep. No cough."

The sleepless wife (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was prescribed this for cough. My sister is a respiratory therapist of 25 years. She said it's really bad to stop the mucus being coughed up and suppressing the mucus to settle into your lungs. She said a lot of people end up getting pneumonia when they take it for long periods of time."

Vonne1973 January 4, 2016

For Cough: "Prescribed in 200 mg dose, it is the only thing that helps me sleep when I have bronchitis, which is frequently. Can cause dizziness, so take at night or if not driving. And no alcohol."

Scot62 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Cough: "Had bad, bad cough for 10 days. Probably spent $50 on Musinex and such (which didn't help). I wasn't sleeping and now getting dizzy. Finally went to doctor and had bronchitis & sinus infection. He gave me this and boy did it help. The first day I took it the cough stopped and it knocked me out. I slept for 12 hours straight. Far as I'm concerned it's a miracle drug."

BagelNosh (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Cough: "I think it caused confusion when I was taking it. it did not work very well."

Mareellen (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Cough: "Went to medical clinic with this annoying cough Dr. did the flu test..No flu Thank God!!!.she said I had a sinus Infection so she prescribe benzonatate 100mg 3x a day and a antibiotic...Took meds and on 3rd day still no relief..I'm going to pharmacy to buy over tha counter cough meds first thing in morning...ughhh waste of time and money.."

Wheres my relief (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015