User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 89 reviews 775 medications

6.6
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 89 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I took Benzonatate about a year ago. I get really bad allergies which triggers my asthma which leads to me having a terrible cough. My doctor prescribed me benzonatate and it worked very well for me. I felt like I couldn't breathe and once I took the pill about 30 mins to an hour later I felt like a new person. Currently it is allergy season for me so, unfortunately I am in the same position once again. I took benzonatate earlier today and thankfully it worked for me once again."

Thankfullll May 8, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This medicine is amazing! Love it! Helps me every time I get sick with a cough! I have also recommend to all my family and friends!"

claudhopperp May 6, 2014

For Cough: "I had flu with a bad cough. The other flu symptoms resolved after a few days but the cough did not. I was prescribed benzonatate as a cough suppressant. I took one capsule, and within about 20 minutes, my sinuses were clogged and congested. This means I can't breathe through my nose, which means I'm breathing through my mouth, which makes my mouth and throat dry, which causes me to cough, which is the thing that was supposed to go away with this medicine. It's done absolutely nothing for the cough, and just gave me a cold on top of flu."

KateCP March 23, 2014

For Cough: "I didn't have a runny nose or cough which I told my doctor,just a very sore throat, ear pain, fatigue and fever. He prescribed me the Benzonatate caps 100mg and as directed I took them and 3 days later still feel the same No different. The pills have started to make me cough but not bad. Sometimes after taking the pills I fall asleep and wake up because I can't breathe. I don't feel it's helped me at all."

Winkick February 15, 2014

For Cough: "Did not work. Coughing so hard my back hurts."

flrman (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2014

For Cough: "This medicine helps my cough, but makes me feel like I'm not breathing. I am, but I just feel like I'm not. And it knocks me out in about thirty minutes, off and on for about four hours."

strange one (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2013

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The BEST medication for controlling my cough due to recurring and sometimes chronic bronchitis. I have never had any side effects whatsoever. I just stop coughing."

MarkAM (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "My sister loaned me a few of her Benzonatate while I was at her house suffering from a cough. It worked very well. Now I am on antibiotics and have just gotten home from a 9 hour drive. This is day three and I am hacking and hacking!!! Not working so I added a 400 mg. Guaifenesin to my regimen. Seems to be calming down finally but the cough and congestion is still terrible. I will report back in 24 hours to see if the combination of the two works."

Jenny B. November 13, 2013

For Cough: "Didn't work for me even though the NP who prescribed it swore it was the best medicine for coughs"

Nanny Vicki October 30, 2013

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Love it. Much better than other meds I've used."

Mommy to five (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2013

For Cough: "I am extremely disappointed that it did not help with my cough. Unfortunately I am allergic to codeine and my doctor prescribed benzonatate as a good alternative. I was hoping to finally get some sleep at night but it has not happened. "

Anonymous May 3, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have had allergies for months. The drainage caused me to develop a severe case of bronchitis which triggered my asthma to be worse than ever before. Nothing was working for my cough which was keeping me awake night after night. Sleeping sitting up on the couch for 30 min at a time... Doc at ER gave me 2 Tessalon. Cough stopped almost immediately. First night of sleep I have had in weeks. Thank heavens she wrote me a prescription. Now I am looking forward to my second night cough free. Thank God for small miracles."

cherrilea March 1, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "It seems to have taken the edge off, I'm not "barking" coughing anymore but still wide awake at 4:30am and coughing all night."

kaykscott February 11, 2013

For Cough: "Caused severe nasal congestion that made my cold symptoms much worse. My sinuses are now extremely swollen, I have fever and chills now, and earaches. The congestion and drainage have increased. My coughing to top that off!"

Sarcher2025 February 10, 2013

For Cough: "I absolutely love this medicine. It works better than codeine for my cough, which I've had over a week. After 2 doses I was finally able to sleep and woke up completely recovered. My chest feels lighter!!"

Anonymous November 21, 2012

For Cough: "Absolutely no relief from my cough whatsoever. "

Anonymous November 2, 2012

For Cough: "Very helpful medicine, it worked for me instantly. Definitely going to recommend this!"

Anonymous September 20, 2012

For Cough: "My doc told me I had an upper respiratory infection and prescribed the Z-pack and Benzonatate for the coughing. My cough was severe and already had lasted a week with it. My abs were super sore from coughing so much. The first time I took this, it seemed to work. I barely coughed the next few hours. When I took it again though it didn't do anything. In fact it made me cough more than if I hadn't taken it. Kept taking it before I went to work and it would cause me to have coughing fits and now my ribs hurt."

Anonymous August 2, 2012

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Tessalon worked well AFTER the doctor prescribed antibiotic for me. I was taking a dose in the morning, sometimes lunch and evening. After taking Tessalon my coughing calmed down for few hours which worked very well for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2012

For Cough: "I have had acute bronchitis for nine days. This medicine works well during the day until I lay down to go to sleep. I immediately start coughing. I am taking the medicine as prescribed. I am not getting much sleep at all. I am so sore, I ache and have a burning sensation across my chest. "

Fayzer (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2012

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "I just took a Tessaoln for the first time, even if it will let me get 3 hrs of sleep tonight at a time I will be very happy. Nothing else seems to he working and I have heard great reviews. I haven't coughed since I took one about a 1/2 hr ago, so goodnight."

mountian momma (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2012

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "I am taking Arava for rheumatoid arthritis and it's causing a terrible cough. Tessalon worked great and allowed me to sleep all night."

Anonymous March 14, 2012

For Cough: "WARNING - if you have taken this before & get a new prescription, CHECK THE DOSAGE! My previous prescription (100 mg each) was "take 2 capsules, 3 times per day" and the NEW prescription is "take 1 capsule, 3 times per day" - Since I had taken it before I just looked at the drug NAME when I picked up the bottle & didn't look at the dosage until I noticed the instructions said 1 CAPSULE. In comparing the old expired 100 mg ones in my medicine cabinet to the new 200 mg ones, the only visual difference is that the 200 mg ones are a little bigger. Agree with others that it doesn't last 8 hours, but I can't take codeine cough syrup & it works better than DM."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

For Cough: "Was the best choice for me. Afters days of not getting any sleep or rest. My body ached from the coughing spells. First 24 hours, started feeling better. Then the capsule started lasting longer so got some sleep. Did break out a little. However, not sure if caused by this. Would rather have small breakout if it was."

Wheezy February 6, 2012

For Cough: "I have had bronchitis for a little over a week. I received this medicine on Monday and it seemed to work okay (taking it 3 times a day). Now, two days later, it does not appear to work anymore, and did not control my cough at night time. I am 20 weeks pregnant but the doctor still felt it was okay to prescribe to me. I had a prenatal appointment yesterday and all seemed normal."

Anonymous October 26, 2011