User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 94 reviews 751 medications

6.4
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 94 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "Benzonatate is not helping relieve my cough or the "tickle" at the back of my throat. May be making it worse."

Taylor... December 1, 2014

For Cough: "I haven't had any relief from my coughing. In fact I believe they're making my cough worse. Can't sleep."

Eluc November 8, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was really sick for a week and went in to see my doctor for cough that was uncontrollable. He first prescribed amoxicillin. That did not help with my cough. Then I was prescribed Tessalon Perles and it seemed to work. I was having itchiness all over my body. Also welts. I then realized it was the Tessalon Perles that was doing it. I stopped taking them. Now I don't itch but still have a cough."

sick and itchy (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2014

For Cough: "After I started this medication my chin became numb after 3 days. I stopped this after 5 days of additional numbness throughout my lower jaw my teeth started to hurt also. I am of this medicine for 10 days now and my chin is still numb."

freddie1219 June 17, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "For me, these are wonderful - IF I don't have to drive anywhere, or work. I've been on every other cough suppression & this definitely works the best for coughing fits! They also give me a "sedated" feeling, but not to the point where I need to go to sleep."

kirasea (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014

For Cough: "I took Benzonatate about a year ago. I get really bad allergies which triggers my asthma which leads to me having a terrible cough. My doctor prescribed me benzonatate and it worked very well for me. I felt like I couldn't breathe and once I took the pill about 30 mins to an hour later I felt like a new person. Currently it is allergy season for me so, unfortunately I am in the same position once again. I took benzonatate earlier today and thankfully it worked for me once again."

Thankfullll May 8, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This medicine is amazing! Love it! Helps me every time I get sick with a cough! I have also recommend to all my family and friends!"

claudhopperp May 6, 2014

For Cough: "I had flu with a bad cough. The other flu symptoms resolved after a few days but the cough did not. I was prescribed benzonatate as a cough suppressant. I took one capsule, and within about 20 minutes, my sinuses were clogged and congested. This means I can't breathe through my nose, which means I'm breathing through my mouth, which makes my mouth and throat dry, which causes me to cough, which is the thing that was supposed to go away with this medicine. It's done absolutely nothing for the cough, and just gave me a cold on top of flu."

KateCP March 23, 2014

For Cough: "I didn't have a runny nose or cough which I told my doctor,just a very sore throat, ear pain, fatigue and fever. He prescribed me the Benzonatate caps 100mg and as directed I took them and 3 days later still feel the same No different. The pills have started to make me cough but not bad. Sometimes after taking the pills I fall asleep and wake up because I can't breathe. I don't feel it's helped me at all."

Winkick February 15, 2014

For Cough: "Did not work. Coughing so hard my back hurts."

flrman (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2014

For Cough: "This medicine helps my cough, but makes me feel like I'm not breathing. I am, but I just feel like I'm not. And it knocks me out in about thirty minutes, off and on for about four hours."

strange one (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2013

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The BEST medication for controlling my cough due to recurring and sometimes chronic bronchitis. I have never had any side effects whatsoever. I just stop coughing."

MarkAM (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "My sister loaned me a few of her Benzonatate while I was at her house suffering from a cough. It worked very well. Now I am on antibiotics and have just gotten home from a 9 hour drive. This is day three and I am hacking and hacking!!! Not working so I added a 400 mg. Guaifenesin to my regimen. Seems to be calming down finally but the cough and congestion is still terrible. I will report back in 24 hours to see if the combination of the two works."

Jenny B. November 13, 2013

For Cough: "Didn't work for me even though the NP who prescribed it swore it was the best medicine for coughs"

Nanny Vicki October 30, 2013

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Love it. Much better than other meds I've used."

Mommy to five (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2013

For Cough: "I am extremely disappointed that it did not help with my cough. Unfortunately I am allergic to codeine and my doctor prescribed benzonatate as a good alternative. I was hoping to finally get some sleep at night but it has not happened. "

Anonymous May 3, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have had allergies for months. The drainage caused me to develop a severe case of bronchitis which triggered my asthma to be worse than ever before. Nothing was working for my cough which was keeping me awake night after night. Sleeping sitting up on the couch for 30 min at a time... Doc at ER gave me 2 Tessalon. Cough stopped almost immediately. First night of sleep I have had in weeks. Thank heavens she wrote me a prescription. Now I am looking forward to my second night cough free. Thank God for small miracles."

cherrilea March 1, 2013

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "It seems to have taken the edge off, I'm not "barking" coughing anymore but still wide awake at 4:30am and coughing all night."

kaykscott February 11, 2013

For Cough: "Caused severe nasal congestion that made my cold symptoms much worse. My sinuses are now extremely swollen, I have fever and chills now, and earaches. The congestion and drainage have increased. My coughing to top that off!"

Sarcher2025 February 10, 2013

For Cough: "I absolutely love this medicine. It works better than codeine for my cough, which I've had over a week. After 2 doses I was finally able to sleep and woke up completely recovered. My chest feels lighter!!"

Anonymous November 21, 2012

For Cough: "Absolutely no relief from my cough whatsoever. "

Anonymous November 2, 2012

For Cough: "Very helpful medicine, it worked for me instantly. Definitely going to recommend this!"

Anonymous September 20, 2012

For Cough: "My doc told me I had an upper respiratory infection and prescribed the Z-pack and Benzonatate for the coughing. My cough was severe and already had lasted a week with it. My abs were super sore from coughing so much. The first time I took this, it seemed to work. I barely coughed the next few hours. When I took it again though it didn't do anything. In fact it made me cough more than if I hadn't taken it. Kept taking it before I went to work and it would cause me to have coughing fits and now my ribs hurt."

Anonymous August 2, 2012

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Tessalon worked well AFTER the doctor prescribed antibiotic for me. I was taking a dose in the morning, sometimes lunch and evening. After taking Tessalon my coughing calmed down for few hours which worked very well for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2012

For Cough: "I have had acute bronchitis for nine days. This medicine works well during the day until I lay down to go to sleep. I immediately start coughing. I am taking the medicine as prescribed. I am not getting much sleep at all. I am so sore, I ache and have a burning sensation across my chest. "

Fayzer (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2012