User Reviews for Benzonatate (Page 2)

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 143 reviews 784 medications

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 143 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "Wonderful med! Severe dry cough that got worse. Had a coughing fit that lasted for 6 hours and scared the life out of me. Kaiser prescribed. Took about an hour for coughing to calm down after taking. First night I coughed quite a bit but on the next 100 mg dose cough got better. Do not be discouraged if it does not work right away. Give it a few doses. I also added a humidifier to my bedroom and my coughs were more productive. That coupled with this medicine and I am happy to report after 4 days I am much better. This medicine is my savior. I was up 5 nights straight coughing before I took this."

Mary M83 December 17, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "They don't work. Why do they still make it? I wound up back in the ER and a nurse tells me that it never worked for her and she's never heard anyone say it had worked for them."

Lynncleg December 17, 2015

For Cough: "Have a cough that got progressively worse, so bad that one of my coughing fits lasted 6 hours. Cough was terrible at night. Soon as I would start to fall asleep the coughing would come on non-stop. Dry cough, so miserable no sleep for 5 days. Mucinex dm made cough worse, cough syrup did not work. Kaiser prescribed me benzonatate. I got my px at 1:30am, my coughing fit slowed down one hour later. I coughed through out the night but this took the edge off and calmed me down. Dont worry if you do not see results with your first dose. My second 100 mg dose the next morning helped tremendously. I feel like a human being again and I am able to sleep. This saved me!!! Thank you!"

Mary80 December 12, 2015

For Cough: "Like the others, acute bronchitis , coughing and no sleep for days. Prescribe this in 100mg form and it does not work! Physicians are so afraid to give compound cough syrups like back in the day. I'm exhausted & what a waste of $$."

Ink wife December 10, 2015

For Cough: "I've been coughing non stop for 2 weeks now and with no sleep. My doc prescribed this medication 100mg 3x a day. IT. DOES. NOT. WORK."

Sore Throat December 2, 2015

For Cough: "I have been talking this medication for 25 days and I still have no relief from coughing."

yankeedodah November 20, 2015

For Cough: "I have been prescribed this drug - 100mg 3x per day for a dry cough. The doctor has indicated that this ONLY works for a dry cough(no phlem) and so far this has worked for me. Typically I get this type of cough after a bad cold, and there is NOTHING that can stop it without chugging water. The solution is to take this drug as indicated, suck on Cepacol and chug water. The combination of the three work for me."

Dry Cough Master (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Cough: "I have a bad cough for two months after a cold, postnasal drip make me cough continuously, I feel tired and helpless, until I start taking benzonatate 100mg 3/day, this medication is working well on me, however in my case the postnasal drip is due to allergies, therefore I need to take antihistamines and decongestants in combination with the cough suppressant, otherwise my symptoms won't improve."

Hillman1 November 12, 2015

For Cough: "I've noticed a slight decrease in my cough, but I've gotten these twice and they haven't done much either time."

JCos40 November 5, 2015

For Cough: "It works really well on the cough. The only problem I have with it, it makes my blood pressure come up. I have never had a problem with my blood pressure till I took this medication."

Temeaux November 5, 2015

For Cough: "I get sinusitis a couple of times a year, each time I am left with a horrible dry itchy cough (the one where you can't take a breath without that itchy feeling in your chest.) I have been prescribed Benzonatate several times and always have leftovers because it doesn't work for me. I get more relief from OTC cough suppressants than I do from this prescription."

ebaum0 (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Was prescribed for cough from bronchitis. At first I was reluctant to take it as it said it caused drowsiness as I am hypersensitive to meds. I finally got desperate enough to take one and was actually able to sleep in my bed after 4 nights in recliner. It has now been 6 weeks and I still have coughing fits if I don't take the Tessalon. I am hoping this will eventually go away. The only thing you might consider a side effect that I have had is that I have these crazy dreams. Not nightmares but just craziness. Thank goodness for my doc! :)"

A bit postal October 28, 2015

For Cough: "Diagnosed with pneumonia and sinusitis, coughing really hurt! It took a few doses and was able to slow down the cough. Tussinex at night didn't help me sleep but this did. With the antibiotics, am well on the road to full recovery. Will use again if needed. Husband also using with same results I have experienced."

TBED October 26, 2015

For Cough: "I found this drug to be very beneficial. I had tried the cough syrup with codeine and promethazine but it made me way too drowsy to function. With this stuff I get a little bit of drowsiness but nothing I can't handle. It's working very well for my cough and I'm even a smoker. I am very impressed by this medication and would certainly recommend it."

Brennankid October 13, 2015

For Cough: "I have been taking these for 3 days now due to a persistent cough as presribed by my doctor. They seem to be doing nothing and I got more relief from an OTC cough medicine."

Christine F October 8, 2015

For Cough: "I was prescribed this medicine to take 200mg 3 times daily for a cough. It did nothing for me after 30 mins of taking it I felt worse. I was coughing 10 times more after taking it."

SelSel September 26, 2015

For Cough: "Been taking this medicine for 3 days 3x a day. Seems like 30 minutes after talking it I start coughing so bad I can barely breathe. Called the dr again today and she said take something else."

Linmul965 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2015

For Cough: "Didn't help at all"

nick nnn September 15, 2015

For Cough: "I am using this from three days and it is not working at all. I will not recommend this"

Faraz Gurnee September 7, 2015

For Cough: "Continued coughing after taking the benzonatate 100 mg for two days. Others side effects are no easing of coughing, hard to breath and some confused state."

Joseph b. Weanquoi September 7, 2015

For Cough: "Obviously, I only relate my personal experience, but this medication has been miraculously helpful on more than one occasion when nothing else made any significant difference!"

Grateful II August 29, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Had a horrific cough and very bad sinus infection on day 2 I went to the ER due to problems breathing , Dr prescribed Tessalon & Antibiotic . I have been taking the Tessalon 100 mg for 3 xs a day and it has stopped the cough some , but still very congestited and feeling very little relief on that part."

Babybird01 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

For Cough: "Have read many of the reviews to see if others had experiences similar to mine. Was prescribed this drug by my general practice DR. Not sure if my other conditions have any bearing by do have pulmonary fibrosis and or sarcoidosis. The cough itself has not been a huge problem But, has gotten to the point to where it hurt in the middle of my back. The pharmacist warned me that this could cause drowsiness, Took one 100MG tablet last night about an hour before bedtime. Went to sleep almost immediately as usual..Did not stay asleep,, Awful night restlessness. Pretty much paced all night. Would lay down but no sleep, get up and wanted to go back to bed. My legs got cold (Its mid Aug) Not good results!!"

Roscoetex August 18, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Was recommended to me by a nurse. Had pneumonia and had this persistent, annoying cough for 3 weeks after. Tessalon Perle worked like a charm within the first 4 hours. Definitely need to keep this on hand as a working Flight Attendant"

SkyGod (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

For Cough: "I've been taking Benzonatate 3x a day for a week with Allegra 1x a day as prescribed and plenty of fluids. It's done absolutely NOTHING for my persistent, dry cough. Despite the Minute Clinic diagnosing allergies (which would be a first and BTW I live on a farm), I suspect I have a cold turned sinus infection because, before I got these symptoms, at least one work colleague, one neighbor, and my husband have had the cough which has, in their cases, come and gone. So thumbs down on Benzonatate for me."

MKB345 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015