User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 62 reviews 734 medications

6.8
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 62 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Benzonatate

Review by hgnaz: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: This pill helped when nothing else would. It works pretty fast, and I have no side effects. This is my first day, and I have taken two so far. I usually take Robitussin DM, but I like Benzonatate better, because it is easy on my stomach. I also have COPD. I wish it would work longer than it does, but neither does the Robitussin. I am glad my Pulmonologist recommended these little pills.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 3, 2011 10:39 PM
Review by tallguy865: User Rating:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I have used this medicine for almost a year (as needed) within my arsenal of other medicine to treat my bronchitis. It is extremely effective. I use the max dosage of 200 mg. As far as I can tell I have had no side effects from this medication and usually I'm very sensitive to many medicines.

July 18, 2011 3:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: I am an asymptomatic HIV white 44 years-old male with an undetectable viral load count. After ten days of severe coughing I was prescribed Tessalon Perles (100 mg three times a day). It works like a miracle. I am able to sleep and function well while recovering from a respiratory infection which spread to my chest. Since my diagnosis almost 20 years ago, I have kept a journal of all medications which I have used. I am very happy to say that Tessalon Perles will be a medication listed favorably. If I ever have another infection involving a cough, I will request a prescription for this medication.

July 14, 2011 3:03 PM
Review by midwestma: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: Wonderful medicine, and works 100 percent, cough is suppressed.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 6, 2011 3:30 PM
Review by SHINEAWN: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have COPD and this is the only thing that has helped me when I get a cough. I think its great!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2011 5:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I rarely get sick but after a week of very little sleep from coughing my Dr prescribed this medication. I was coughing so much that I was sore all over. This medication did absolutely nothing for my cough, day or night. Luckily the antibiotics and steroids worked finally. From reading these reviews it helped some people. But in my instance was no use at all.

January 26, 2011 11:08 AM
Review by Sukey: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have been sick for a week starting with sore throat, head cold, sinus drainage and the worst ever pounding headache. By mid week, the uncontrollable cough started, reaching the point of spasms, causing awful muscle pain each time I coughed. My doctor prescribed Benzonatate yesterday, and after taking one, in the afternoon, I had no coughing spells all through the evening. It was amazing. I have been prescribed to take this 3 times a day, as needed and I am going to continue until I feel completely well again. I actually slept all night without coughing.

January 15, 2011 11:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have had a light cough and was prescribed this to help reduce coughing. I have only been taking at night before bed so that I could get much needed sleep to get better. It has not worked at all. I think it may be making it hard to sleep and has not really touched the cough.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 12, 2011 9:11 AM

benzonatate for Cough: Took one dose, helped with cough short term, but could not sleep, restless and I experienced headache and extreme feeling of cold. Normally at this time of year sleep with a light comforter, had to add a fleece blanket, socks and finally added an electric blanket, even my body felt cool to the touch.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2011 11:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have had the worst cough for over a month and after going without sleep from coughing so much I was beginning to think nothing would ever make it stop! I was wrong. It has been a blessing and has stopped the cough almost completely.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 2, 2011 4:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I am someone who very rarely gets sick. Myself and 2 members of my family had this AWUFUL cough that has lasted for weeks and weeks and weeks, finally now resulting in about 5-8 coughing spasms per day, luckily sleeping fine though. I now have a cracked or bruised rib from these spasms. My doctor ordered this for me and I have have taken 3 pills since yesterday. I have only had one coughing fit today and even that one I almost felt I would be able to avoid. So far I would say this medicine is a miracle. My doctor said have to stop the coughing to the rib can heal. Looks like I am on the right track! Have recommended this to my father who is also having the coughing spasms.

August 13, 2010 12:27 PM
Review by SSen: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have dust/smell allergy and have very bad cough (almost like vomiting) which prevents me from normal activity at work and getting sleep at night. Having this drug for last 3 days worked wonders for me. Cough is not cured but over 95% gone allowing me to be myself again. My doctor checked for any allergic symptoms after the 1st dose since this drug does not suit all. Highly recommend for bad cough troubles.

June 29, 2010 1:48 AM
Review by drewsteele:

benzonatate for Cough: Deep bronchitis - these aren't touching it. I just reached for the Robitussin. I hope the 2 play well together.

April 28, 2010 2:11 AM

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: It worked very well for me at night.

March 20, 2010 9:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: It seemed to knock down my cough for about 2 hours, but you can't take it that often, so I end up coughing after that until I could take another dose. Still, it allowed me to work in an office for a few hours, which is good. It takes effect in about 15 minutes.

February 10, 2010 6:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: The Tessalon didn't work at all. Coughing all night!

January 5, 2010 10:22 PM
Review by FireRaven: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have had a tremendous hacking cough with walking pneumonia. At my one week follow up, a coughing jag in front of the doctor made him immediately prescribe this drug in the 200mg dosage twice daily. I took it for the first time last night and felt a bit disoriented when it first kicked in. It kept me quiet for most of the night. No cough medicine is going to completely stop your coughing -- and I don't think you'd want it to. Having said that, I've gotten 8 hours of blessed relief and am grateful for this medicine.

November 11, 2009 2:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have had the worse cough I have ever had in my whole life. My doctor prescribed benzonatate to me and I thought it would really help. UNFORTUNATELY for me it did not help at all. I really needed some relief to sleep and it just did not help at all. Taking Mucinex helped more.

November 5, 2009 10:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: My cough kept recurring for weeks. It returned two days ago and kept me in bed. I picked up my prescription for Tessalon Perle 100 mg this morning and took one and immediately stopped coughing. I have taken 3 more throughout the day and have not coughed. It worked amazingly well.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 24, 2009 2:05 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: A miracle drug for me when I go into coughing fits at night and am unable to sleep.

October 19, 2009 5:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: This medicine worked okay during the day. But seemingly did nothing about coughing when laying down. Even if taken just prior to trying to sleep.

October 3, 2009 5:58 AM
Review by Hakinnkansas: User Rating:

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: THIS medicine works.

September 30, 2009 6:34 PM
Review by DFW Mamaw: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I absolutely LOVE this medication. I have COPD, so when I get a cold/allergies, I can, at times, have a terrible cough. This is the greatest relief for me.

August 30, 2009 6:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I found that this cough medicine did not work at all. In fact, I woke up several times during the night still coughing; and coughed throughout the day.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 27, 2009 10:17 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

benzonatate for Cough: I have just taken 3 doses of this, after weeks of illness and such a severe cough that I was afraid I would damage a rib. This knocked the severity of the cough down within half an hour. Talk about tired though, I've been a lump all day. Cough syrups weren't effective at all and I just can't believe how well and quickly this has worked. I've still got an occasional cough and it does increase after several hours but the severity is gone. This is a drug I will ask for in the case of future coughs and will be sure to tell friends about.

June 10, 2009 12:00 AM