User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1004 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

"Have bronchitis and this doesn't stop me from coughing. OTC cough syrups are better"

You Gotta Be Kidding May 19, 2015

"I've been on these pills for 2 days and no relief from the coughing at all."

Scubacy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"Still had urge to cough didn't work at all"

donyalynette11111 April 22, 2015

"Diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Took this and immediately felt relief. Helped with the cough."

sickwithpneumonia April 11, 2015

"Very rough cough for 3 days. Cough was dry with green mucus. Doc advised me to not take antihistamines at all and just stick to Tessalon. Glad I did! Cough 80% suppressed after 2 dosages. Plenty of water and 100% rest."

miamicoughs (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

"I purchased this medicine this morning at 7 however due to side effect warnings I waited until 3pm to take it when someone would be home. It is working wonders. My cough has stopped. This was given to me for a cough due to bronchitis. I will keep this in my arsenal of medicines because it seems now that I am 60 years old I have a cough most times I get sick. I am very satisfied with this and will recommend to others."

paulsgramma March 17, 2015

"This is a miracle medicine. I had a horrible cough for weeks, I started the medicine last night. It took about 30 minutes to reduce & calm my coughing fits. The one thing I do NOT like is the ability it has to impair your thinking/judgment "loopy" feeling I get, then the excessiveness drowsiness. Other than that, I love how it works for me!"

Anonymous March 11, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Had a horrible cough from a cold this medicine took the cough away totally. Great prescription"

Jaybla36 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

"I have taken this medicine and so far nothing still coughing my head off I have coughed to so much my chest hurts and I've been vomiting and even after I took it still coughing my head off"

Anonymous February 25, 2015

"I went to my PCP almost a week ago, and was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed 24-hour Zyrtec (antihistamine), and Amoxicillan (antihistamine). Not good enough. The Amoxicillan turned the phlegm from yellow-green to clear, but the Zydeco didn't help with the massive mucus nor post nasal drip, cough or sneezing. So I added regular doses of Benadryl antihistamine, Guafenesin (expectorant) and continued with the Benzonatate. This "cocktail" is working well with plenty of water and re-dosing every 5-6 hours. Makes me a tad bit drowsy, but I have suffered from insomnia and anxiety for years, so I enjoying the slight drowsiness."

Grammy Gayle February 22, 2015

"I have used benzonatate for a couple of years with great success. Due to side effects of another med, allergies, etc. I seem to have an on-going cough. I save use of benzonatate for times when I am around people (church, restaurants, etc) and have instant results with no side effects. Now my druggist tells me that they can't get shipments as "insurance" companies say they don't work and will not pay for them. Like all meds I'm sure they work for some and not for others but to not be willing to get the med and fill my subscription sounds unreasonable. I WANT MY LITTLE MAGIC PILL AND I'LL PAY FOR THEM! Has anyone else had a problem getting prescriptions filled. Yes, my insurance has paid for the med until last week when it refused."

B Mama February 12, 2015

"I've been taking this for 5 days and it hasn't help to reduce or suppress my cough at all. Was diagnosed with bronchitis and this did help to stop the chest pain for all the coughing but I'm still miserable. No side effects from this medicine."

angie d. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I've had a horrible cough for two weeks and for the past two days have a dry persistent cough that sounds horrific. I was prescribed Tessalon Perles 100mg twice a day and immediately stopped coughing. This medicine is wonderful and suppresses the urge to cough. I highly recommend this medicine. It does make you drowsy."

SunnyInSoCal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

Tessalon (benzonatate): "Had a dry hacking very painful deep cough. Kaiser prescribed Tessalon, coughing stopped within 20-30 minutes. Has not started back up. I've been using it for 24 hours. One pill every 8 hours."

sick in Calif (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I have reoccuring respiratory infections, bronchitis...I had a very trying case last year with an abnormally persistent cough. Tessalon perles was prescribed for the cough. It was a God send! Worked so well! I have recommended it to everyone who has complained about coughing. Very, very effective for me."

fromohio (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

"It definitely helped with my cough. But for some reason this medication makes me extremely nauseous. Had to stop taking for a few days. Hope I can finish taking it because it does help with the cough."

begorgeous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

"This medicine I used when I had a really bad cough with the flu and it works amazing within ten minutes of consuming the medicine my cough was suppressed. Works wonders & lasts for a long time!"

Raylozano January 25, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I was hesitant to take this, but a persistent cough and chronic bronchitis that was well into week 9 left me little choice. I am typically sensitive to most medications. Especially stimulants which is why I was so hesitant. However - I noticed a near immediate suppression of my coughing attacks which would leave me breathless and gasping to the point I was almost vomitting. It took about 30 mins but I noticed it, and will be taking this again in the future if I have an option to!"

Bashmyshell (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I was sick for a few days and the constant coughing was making my chest hurt. I thought I had bronchitis or something worse so I ended up going to the ER. The doctor prescribed Tessalon Perle. I figured it was a "magic" pill after hearing about the side effects. Cool! I took one. I did noticed the cough was reduced but still there. I did sleep better that night after taking 1 pill. By the next day, my cough was gone. I did have a lot of green mucus so I took Tylenol severe cold. I did cough but it was to bring up all that mucus. I feel better after 2 days and 4 pill later."

sharonbze January 3, 2015

"It did not help my cough or control my urge to cough."

Anonymous December 11, 2014

"Benzonatate is not helping relieve my cough or the "tickle" at the back of my throat. May be making it worse."

Taylor... December 1, 2014

"I haven't had any relief from my coughing. In fact I believe they're making my cough worse. Can't sleep."

Eluc November 8, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I was really sick for a week and went in to see my doctor for cough that was uncontrollable. He first prescribed amoxicillin. That did not help with my cough. Then I was prescribed Tessalon Perles and it seemed to work. I was having itchiness all over my body. Also welts. I then realized it was the Tessalon Perles that was doing it. I stopped taking them. Now I don't itch but still have a cough."

sick and itchy (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2014

"After I started this medication my chin became numb after 3 days. I stopped this after 5 days of additional numbness throughout my lower jaw my teeth started to hurt also. I am of this medicine for 10 days now and my chin is still numb."

freddie1219 June 17, 2014

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "For me, these are wonderful - IF I don't have to drive anywhere, or work. I've been on every other cough suppression & this definitely works the best for coughing fits! They also give me a "sedated" feeling, but not to the point where I need to go to sleep."

kirasea (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014