User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 921 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Had a horrific cough and very bad sinus infection on day 2 I went to the ER due to problems breathing , Dr prescribed Tessalon & Antibiotic . I have been taking the Tessalon 100 mg for 3 xs a day and it has stopped the cough some , but still very congestited and feeling very little relief on that part."

Babybird01 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

"Have read many of the reviews to see if others had experiences similar to mine. Was prescribed this drug by my general practice DR. Not sure if my other conditions have any bearing by do have pulmonary fibrosis and or sarcoidosis. The cough itself has not been a huge problem But, has gotten to the point to where it hurt in the middle of my back. The pharmacist warned me that this could cause drowsiness, Took one 100MG tablet last night about an hour before bedtime. Went to sleep almost immediately as usual..Did not stay asleep,, Awful night restlessness. Pretty much paced all night. Would lay down but no sleep, get up and wanted to go back to bed. My legs got cold (Its mid Aug) Not good results!!"

Roscoetex August 18, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Was recommended to me by a nurse. Had pneumonia and had this persistent, annoying cough for 3 weeks after. Tessalon Perle worked like a charm within the first 4 hours. Definitely need to keep this on hand as a working Flight Attendant"

SkyGod (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"I've been taking Benzonatate 3x a day for a week with Allegra 1x a day as prescribed and plenty of fluids. It's done absolutely NOTHING for my persistent, dry cough. Despite the Minute Clinic diagnosing allergies (which would be a first and BTW I live on a farm), I suspect I have a cold turned sinus infection because, before I got these symptoms, at least one work colleague, one neighbor, and my husband have had the cough which has, in their cases, come and gone. So thumbs down on Benzonatate for me."

MKB345 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015

"Not effective at all, no side affects. On day four with no change in my cough. Disappointed really wanted some relief."

Mary Pe June 24, 2015

"Took one yesterday because i've had a persistent cough for almost 3 weeks. I literally could not breathe after taking this. I had shortness of breath until I went to sleep and it scared me. I don't know if this is a common side effect but definitely staying away from this although I wished it had worked. Also, I didn't stop coughing once."

Hg5 (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

"I started taking this medication due to a severe cough from a sinus infection. It took two days to start working . I guess it has to get in your system good. I love it and if I ever get a severe cough like this again, I would definitely ask my doctor for a refill!! Wonder drug! #I'mhappyandrelieved!!!"

elmwood1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

"I took one of these tessalon perles for an upper respiratory infection and I thought I was going to die! I started salivating like I was going to throw up but didn't and at the same time I felt like I was choking to death from deep down in my esophagus or chest area. I don't know if my hiatal hernia has anything to do with this but I cannot ever take this medication again. I should have went to the ER but I didn't. It lasted about 3 hours and finally went away on it's own."

Shyllie June 2, 2015

"Have bronchitis and this doesn't stop me from coughing. OTC cough syrups are better"

You Gotta Be Kidding May 19, 2015

"I've been on these pills for 2 days and no relief from the coughing at all."

Scubacy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"Still had urge to cough didn't work at all"

donyalynette11111 April 22, 2015

"Diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Took this and immediately felt relief. Helped with the cough."

sickwithpneumonia April 11, 2015

"Very rough cough for 3 days. Cough was dry with green mucus. Doc advised me to not take antihistamines at all and just stick to Tessalon. Glad I did! Cough 80% suppressed after 2 dosages. Plenty of water and 100% rest."

miamicoughs (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

"I purchased this medicine this morning at 7 however due to side effect warnings I waited until 3pm to take it when someone would be home. It is working wonders. My cough has stopped. This was given to me for a cough due to bronchitis. I will keep this in my arsenal of medicines because it seems now that I am 60 years old I have a cough most times I get sick. I am very satisfied with this and will recommend to others."

paulsgramma March 17, 2015

"This is a miracle medicine. I had a horrible cough for weeks, I started the medicine last night. It took about 30 minutes to reduce & calm my coughing fits. The one thing I do NOT like is the ability it has to impair your thinking/judgment "loopy" feeling I get, then the excessiveness drowsiness. Other than that, I love how it works for me!"

Anonymous March 11, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Had a horrible cough from a cold this medicine took the cough away totally. Great prescription"

Jaybla36 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

"I have taken this medicine and so far nothing still coughing my head off I have coughed to so much my chest hurts and I've been vomiting and even after I took it still coughing my head off"

Anonymous February 25, 2015

"I went to my PCP almost a week ago, and was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed 24-hour Zyrtec (antihistamine), and Amoxicillan (antihistamine). Not good enough. The Amoxicillan turned the phlegm from yellow-green to clear, but the Zydeco didn't help with the massive mucus nor post nasal drip, cough or sneezing. So I added regular doses of Benadryl antihistamine, Guafenesin (expectorant) and continued with the Benzonatate. This "cocktail" is working well with plenty of water and re-dosing every 5-6 hours. Makes me a tad bit drowsy, but I have suffered from insomnia and anxiety for years, so I enjoying the slight drowsiness."

Grammy Gayle February 22, 2015

"I have used benzonatate for a couple of years with great success. Due to side effects of another med, allergies, etc. I seem to have an on-going cough. I save use of benzonatate for times when I am around people (church, restaurants, etc) and have instant results with no side effects. Now my druggist tells me that they can't get shipments as "insurance" companies say they don't work and will not pay for them. Like all meds I'm sure they work for some and not for others but to not be willing to get the med and fill my subscription sounds unreasonable. I WANT MY LITTLE MAGIC PILL AND I'LL PAY FOR THEM! Has anyone else had a problem getting prescriptions filled. Yes, my insurance has paid for the med until last week when it refused."

B Mama February 12, 2015

"I've been taking this for 5 days and it hasn't help to reduce or suppress my cough at all. Was diagnosed with bronchitis and this did help to stop the chest pain for all the coughing but I'm still miserable. No side effects from this medicine."

angie d. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I've had a horrible cough for two weeks and for the past two days have a dry persistent cough that sounds horrific. I was prescribed Tessalon Perles 100mg twice a day and immediately stopped coughing. This medicine is wonderful and suppresses the urge to cough. I highly recommend this medicine. It does make you drowsy."

SunnyInSoCal (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

Tessalon (benzonatate): "Had a dry hacking very painful deep cough. Kaiser prescribed Tessalon, coughing stopped within 20-30 minutes. Has not started back up. I've been using it for 24 hours. One pill every 8 hours."

sick in Calif (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I have reoccuring respiratory infections, bronchitis...I had a very trying case last year with an abnormally persistent cough. Tessalon perles was prescribed for the cough. It was a God send! Worked so well! I have recommended it to everyone who has complained about coughing. Very, very effective for me."

fromohio (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2015

"It definitely helped with my cough. But for some reason this medication makes me extremely nauseous. Had to stop taking for a few days. Hope I can finish taking it because it does help with the cough."

begorgeous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

"This medicine I used when I had a really bad cough with the flu and it works amazing within ten minutes of consuming the medicine my cough was suppressed. Works wonders & lasts for a long time!"

Raylozano January 25, 2015