User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Amlodipine review summary

10.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amlodipine to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Ellen G (taken for less than 1 month):

Just started this medication a month ago to treat migraine--also a little borderline hypertension--two birds with one stone. First week on 5 mg. I needed Imitrex 5 out of 7 days. Then, I went up to 10mg per doctor's orders, and the headaches stopped. If this keeps up, yes, this is a miracle. Have suffered with migraines almost 40 years--and have tried lots of meds including Imitrex which was a lifesaver and Botox which helped initially but not for very long. As for side effects, no swelling--maybe a little fatigue. I was on loads of Excredrin and probably 3 Imitrex a week. So glad to be able to get off these meds. Still keeping them around just in case but am very encouraged with amlodipine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by TinFL:

Through the years I had tried NUMEROUS meds for migraines to the point that my neurologist sent me to a migraine specialist because he had run out of ideas. The specialist put me on Norvasc and within a week, my migraines had completely stopped. I have not had this kind of relief in years! He had even gotten me approved for Botox and when I told him my positive results, he cancelled the Botox. Love this medicine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Trshmi (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was prescribed this medication for borderline hypertension 140/90. I have also had migraines with aura for years. I have tried many medicines. For the first 3 days, I had a headache. After that, bam, no more migraines with auras and very few headaches. It is incredible. I take 2.5 mg per day. I finally have my life back!

March 16, 2014 1:26 AM

Review by Conanette (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started having menstrual migraines monthly in my mid-thirties. They had gotten to the point of lasting upwards of 18 hours with uncontrollable vomiting and moderate pain for a day or two before and after the migraine. I started taking Treximet and an anti-nausua medicine which did work when the migraine started but was still living my life around avoiding triggers. I also developed mild hypertension during these years. My dr. prescribed 2.5mg amlopine and the migraines decreased in intensity. He upped dosage over time to control the hypertension and my migraine intensity decreased proportionally each time. By the time I got to 10mg, the migraines were gone. I still get a little headachy each month, but it's just that, a mild headache.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 11:42 PM

I would get migraines weekly and when it wasn't a migraine it was a headache that turned into a tension headache and later lead back to a migraine. I tried everything and was put on everything. Finally, I tried amlodipine and the next day, no headache no migraine. I was amazed. I take it every night before bed. I didn't feel dizzy and haven't had any swelling. I was worried cause my blood pressure runs low already, but I'm doing so much better now and no side effects.

December 13, 2013 1:03 AM

Review by Cured?:

I have had chronic migraines for almost three years. Tried many different medicines and supplements. I was put on amlodipine and it worked almost immediately. I haven't had a headache in four and half weeks since starting the medicine. It is a miracle. Swelling in ankles, but it's a lot better than 2 migraines a week!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by hintonmj:

I did a lot of research. Amlodipine seems to be the best migraine preventative for those of us with stubborn nearly daily migraines that don't seem to respond to the typical medications, at least in the long term. I was on two other preventatives for years: Inderal and Amitriptyline. I am now weaning off of both these other medications. I was getting about one headache a week for the first couple weeks at 10 mg, now I think it's been two weeks since my last one. No side effects for me. It's a miracle. Verapamil seems to have the same effect, but requires very high doses up to 720 mg/day. You MUST try this medication if you have tried the others without lasting effects.

August 26, 2013 9:02 AM

Review by OngMK (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

The doctor prescribed me with Amlodipine Besylate 5mg for borderline (140/90) hypertension in April 2012. I used to get migraine attack at least once a month due to work stress, eye stress and insufficient sleep. On the day I started Amlodipine until now, migraine is now history to me. Only then, I realize "side-effect" from medication can be a blessing!

January 14, 2013 10:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I used to get migraines 2 days out of every 3, and 2 Excedrin would work about half the time, the other half I needed Imitrex. After about a month of taking 5 mg/day of amlodipine, which was initially prescribed for borderline hypertension (140/90), my headaches went to once/week, and they were all treatable with one 1 Excedrin. I only need Imitrex now once every two months instead of of two or three times a week. What a difference in my life! I don't understand why this medication isn't used more frequently for migraine sufferers.

November 8, 2012 12:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Norvasc (amlodipine): I started taking Norvasc after trying many other meds. including Topamax which had too many bad side effects for me. So far since starting about a month ago; I have only had 1 headache and that was at the very beginning. No side effects. I was having headaches which was affected by weather pressure; about 1 a week. So nice not to have them and to feel good on this medication.

September 25, 2012 5:55 PM

Review by cghipp:

Norvasc (amlodipine): I was given Norvasc to replace Lisinopril after I started having constant coughing. I take it for hypertension, but I am a frequent migraine sufferer, especially due to changes in air pressure and to exercise. The first week on Norvasc, I had a migraine all day, every day. The following week, I took no migraine medication (Imitrex) or OTC meds at all - even though we had two days when I would normally have had weather-related issues, and I played tennis on another day. I did have swollen feet the first few days, but I increased my water intake and that seems to be the key for me. So far I'm very impressed with the results.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2012 3:22 PM

Norvasc (amlodipine): Norvasc was given to me to treat migraine headaches. I am 28 years old. I was having them as frequently as every other day. I dealt with this for five years before being prescribed Norvasc. After two months of taking a 5mg dosage, I can say I am a new person!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 2:22 PM