User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 20 reviews 32 medications

High Blood Pressure 139 reviews 247 medications

5.5
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 164 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Amlodipine

For Migraine Prevention: "Writing again, I guess amlodipine has something to do with my sleep stages. I feel some changes in the depth of night sleep. Before taking this med, I was generally having very deep and unconscious type night sleeps and regular migraines in the base of skull (occipital nerves) after awakening in the morning. Whenever I was very tired and feeling very sleepy before going to bed in the night, I woke up in the mid night due to severe pain in the base of the skull. Whenever I suddenly awaken from deep sleep due to external interruption, I found myself a bit confused for some time. With amlodipine, I have moderate depth of sleep and don't get confused if suddenly awaken / interrupted from sleep. No migraines so far."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Took one 5 mg pill at 11 am, became immediately tired. Fell asleep. Had VERY VIVID dream. Feel pain in kidneys. Getting a tension headache now just 2 hours later. Reading other reviews I can't believe this medicine is legal. Diet and exercise is the better choice."

Hook55 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "10 mg amlodipine at night do wonders for my migraines and headaches. Gave it 9 instead of 10 bc of ankle swelling. Had migraines all my life (now 62 yo), went through a complete list of migraine preventives at least 4 times before I gave up. Tried verapamil (also CCB) but it did not do the trick. I had daily headaches. Was on high doses of daily tryptans. A year ago, my bp started to rise (150/90 vs 110/60) and I got worried bc tryptans are generally contraindicated in patients with high bp. Ran into several case report publications suggesting almost miracle results after migraine pts were given amlodipine. My pcp cooperated. I stated very slowly with 2.5 mg a day and felt positive results right away."

bos5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "The first 2/3 days were very encouraging. It helped me a lot. but afterwards I had severe side effects, chronic diarrhea, vomiting, nausea etc. generally feeling really crap, so that i had to stay home for a couple of days. Even a reduction in dosage didn't help much. switched to verapamil, which works similarly, but practically without side effects for me."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I am a 44 male. After trying lots of meds for migraine, I just started Norvasc 5mg. I was having at least two episodes of severe attacks a week. The pain would concentrate on occipital nerves in the base of the skull and radiate both upward and downward. I am a migraine sufferer since childhood. Norvasc changed my life. I am 3 weeks on this med and no migraine as yet. While the experience with this med is great, I am wondering for how long I need to take it. I feel myself kinda addicted. No life if I am unable to take this med."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Took Amlodipine Besylate 5MG for a year and blood pressure is now 118/70. Experience less energy but am OK due to being a type A personality."

No Complaint January 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I just have to start Amlodipine medicine for high blood pressure but want to know what time I should take, morning or evening and what are the side effects. Please if anybody can share their views. thanks"

Krishanji (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed amlodipine after lisinopril hctz and Losartan both caused severe hair loss and insomnia. After taking a dose, I would experience a severe headache for 20 hours, plus stomach upset. However, my hair was not falling out, nor did I have insomnia. It took about 2-3 weeks for the headaches and upset stomach to stop completely.It took about 6 weeks for my blood pressure to be in the normal range. No side effects currently. The only thing I'm not happy about is I haven't been able to lose weight while on Amlodipine, even though I'm strictly dieting. Prior to starting this drug, I had been losing nicely. But I suppose I'd rather be fatter with a full head of hair, than thin and bald. :)"

JSmithQR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Norvasc10mg 1x for about a year. Extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. I'm on metorololol as well 50 mg 2x"

bikerljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on norvasc a couple years. It'll does keep my BP down. Biggest issue is fatigue. No energy at all I've been depressed I thought the fatigue was causing the depression. ?? Doc sent me to get some tests because of the fatigue. Waiting results."

bikerljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have BP problems. Having hard time finding a med to control it. Was given a beta blocker that caused a heart attack put me in hospital. Put me on Norvacs 5mg twice a day. Was on 1 and 1/2 weeks I had severe headaches. Tremors,blurred vision, stomach pains, burning in my legs, had red burning spots form on my lower abdomen then blisters. Off med and will never take Norvasc again. Now on Losartin and Clondine,doing fair with BP. & no side effects."

Saddiegirl December 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been hypertensive for a little over 12 years. I have tried many meds to reduce it. All worked, but they also had negative side effects. After chatting with my Pharmacist and Doctor we started me on Amlodipine 10mg daily. This was maybe two years ago. After losing weight and starting to exercise more, I am now down to 2.5mg daily and no negative side effects. I recently started to supplement magnesium in the morning and evening and my pressures have further reduced."

Bexie November 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Started on 5mg once a day. Withing three weeks had episode of eye pain and severe conjunctivitis. I didn't suspect the med and neither did eye doc. Medication (drops ordered for eye problems). Conjunctivitis became chronic despite meds. Severe fatigue. Withing five months I was having pain and difficulty walking. My BP responded well and was normal, but had increased difficulty on short walks, developed "brain fog", stopped gardening, walking, daily exercises. I did not connect the med with the symptoms until a year later when I was unable to walk three level blocks because of leg, back, and foot pain. I decided might be the med and stopped it. Now perfectly normal and BP mildly elevated. No more BP meds for me."

Hestie (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Amlodipine for at least 10 years. I think I have to quit taking it. My blood pressure goes up after I take it. It was 148/74 before I took it. It's been 195/88 this evening. Don't know what to do. I have adverse reactions to Lisinipril, and Losartan didn't lower it at all."

Bb in ak (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed 5mg amplodipine for bp, and it seems to be absolutely fine, one amazing side effect which is a godsend to me is that I had suffered migraine or cluster headaches for over 20 years and they miraculously all but disappeared. Wonderful!"

Bp sufferer from Wales, Uk November 3, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Severe hair loss. pain in shoulders. sleep problems. depression."

steplite (taken for 10 years or more) October 31, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I was hypertensive 140/90 and was put on Norvasc 5mg since 3years ago. My normal BP at GP is 130/80. At home it usually 120/70. Throughout these years, my mental health became very poor, short term memory loss - easily forget day-today task, my wife have to remind me, I felt very anxious person - depressed, anxiety, panic by thinking about my health. Urination during night. Wake up periodically during night, tremor while sleeping (sometimes), tingling feeling in my arms... many more... I didn't really have quality life past 3years. I went back to doctor and requested to change to different group. Today is 2nd day I stopped Norvasc.. I wish that I become normal person after this..."

rajlesta October 7, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Worse drug ever!! Was depressed and more sick :("

33 female September 28, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "This medication is cheap which is why they recommend it so much since it saves the insurance companies a bundle. My BP didn't move at all. Side effects include left shoulder pain. Loss of hair, eyesight going bad due inflammation of the cornea, weakness, tiredness to the point of delusion. The doctor had be go from 5 to 10 mg and that made everything worse. Three days after stopping it my shoulder pain went away and so much energy returned. my mother was put on it from her doctor and had similar results. After she stopped taking it she no longer needs her walker. I'm 63 and she is 88 going on 29."

SuperQuack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2015

For : "My radiologist, has me using norvasc off label use for presbyesophagus or diffuse spasm in elderly, but Ca channel blocker makes sense esp. since there is no other pharmacologic therapy other than botox injection by endoscope."

dr pr September 18, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "On 10mg/day for a week and favorably impressed. Has BP between 115/72 and 135/85 for most of the time. A bit lightheaded - more so for an hour or two after taking it. No other side effects. Feel good and thankful BP is down. Would like to try 5mg at 8am and 5mg at 8pm. Will discuss this with my doctor. But so far, absolutely no complaints - just a positive experience."

MFD (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 24 year old male with high blood pressure. I started Amlodipine back in October 2014 and it did an excellent job to lower my pressure. I was perfectly fine taking 5 mg each day for the first several months. Then around June of 2015, I started getting pains in my upper left and right chests, headaches began to hit me, and I began to develop an anxiety problem. I am typing this review 3 days after I have now stopped taking Amlodipine. The past few weeks have been worse than a nightmare for me - my anxiety has reached severe levels, the pains in my upper chest, shoulders, and forearms was becoming unbearable, I've been continuously nauseous for nearly 2 weeks now, had high-pitched ringing in my ears, and was completely depersonalized."

Mr Tornado August 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking this drug after Lisinopril caused me to cough 24/7. Started with 5mg for HBP 140/90. Instantly gained about 20lbs. Exercise became more difficult; hands fall asleep at night, every night, unless I wear arm braces; swelling in ankles; general feeling of being in a 'fog' and also very easily irritated. Nodding off around 6pm after work; but force myself to stay awake. When I go to bed, I have insomnia. I decided to cut the pill in half, take it at night and now I have joint pains along with other symptoms. My worst day yet, I just didn't feel right all day; felt confused, anxious to drive to work. Stopped taking the drug that day and one day later I feel like myself again. Symptoms fading; will ask doc for diff drug."

Kmcde12 August 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was started on amlodopine 5 mg four years ago for high BP. I started having neuropathy, restless sleep, diff with urination and dry mouth. I was referred to a neurologist who said the causes were from lupus and sent me to a another dr. Who prescribed Plaquinal I continued to have the same problems only worse. Then prednisone was added worse symptoms. BP was good but I was not. So I tapered off and stopped all meds except Amlodopine but became worse not better. By his time I could hardly walk went on line and reviewed Amlodopine. Yes it could cause these problems. Stopped it and guess what symptoms are improving and the BP is still ok."

Colorado carol (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This is my second med for blood pressure the first was metaprolol which had me completely out of it. I was switched to norvasc along with propanalol to calm the anxiety but it hasn't worked. I get 3-4 hours of sleep where as before the meds I was sleeping 8-10. I have this overwhelming feeling on a daily basis along with anxiety and panic. I have these uncontrolled quivers in the middle of the morning like i cold. Now the nausea is so bad I haven't been able to eat a full mean in over 2 weeks. I'm always tired and starting to have self-esteem issues due to the rapid weight loss ov 20 lbs. I see the doctor tomorrow to get off this medicine it has taken more from me than helped. I need my normal back!"

overwhelmed81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015