User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 21 reviews 32 medications

5.3
Coronary Artery Disease 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Amlodipine reviews 186 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Amlodipine

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "-Not a very good one. Complained to Drs . About dry mouth,diarrhea, and numbness in toes. Tingling at tip of fingers. They dismissed it as nothing. The numbness has progressed to my foot,legs,hands,arms. Have trouble walking without a cane because I loose my balance and have fallen many times."

Lilgrama (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this medication in the 10mg form for about a month and a half. I was having severe side effects from using Benicar over the past 5 years and asked my doctor to place me on another medication. After about three weeks I noticed redness, dry and dark circles under my eyes, had feelings of depression, hallucinations, insomnia, irritability, and a racing heart beat at times. My fiancé told me that on one occasion while sleeping on my back I stopped breathing for a few seconds. I have vivid dreams and wake up with brief sleep paralysis. I also have been itching a small dry patch of skin on my back. I'm 37, and work out 2-3 times per week. My BP is usually around 120-30/90. I'm going to have my doctor switch me to another med."

Kevin W. May 18, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure. It brought it down to normal. However, the side effects were terrible: frequent urination, constipation followed 10 minutes later by uncontrollable diarrhea, blurry vision, cough, fatigue and sleepiness. When I would go out, I would not take the medicine. I found out that Amlodipine was causing my problems when I took an airplane flight. I did not take it because I did not want to go to the bathroom when we were flying. I didn't take it for 2 days and almost all my symptoms disappeared. I took it again and all the problems came back so I stopped taking it. O was put on Clonidine and that did not lower my BP but gave me a cough and sleepiness."

Jan Pol (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "severe stomach pain, severe leg cramps, burning chest,unable to eat, weight loss, red painful swollen knees,dizziness,chest pain,nausea,hairloss"

k&M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "After being hospitalized for very high BP that my other medications weren't able to control -- I was prescribed .5 of Norvasc. Within 3 hours, my BP was down to 70/ 52, and continued to drop to 68/ 42 with my pulse going as low as 40 bpm. I came very close to calling 911, but after a couple of hours of drinking water -- I was able to get the BP up to around 90/65. Obviously I will not take this medicine again -- and feel that the side effect for it wasn't given"

Tailwindfox (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg, within six to seven hours I had ringing in my ears.My GP persuaded me to persevere, as it was thought the side effect would go away. It didn't ! I carried on with the dreadful medication for six weeks, and then ditched it ! Five weeks later I still have the tinnitus.! How can drug companies be allowed to ruin people's lives - admittedly, tinnitus was stated as one of the side effects, but I was given to believe the side affects would be temporary, not permanent, as seems to be the case ! I hate this medication ! If I am lucky enough to have the tinnitus disappear, I will repost later ! For the time being I would say ' BEWARE ' !"

jotee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure, and within six hours of taking the first tablet, developed severe tinnitus. I was advised to persevere with the medication, as the symptons often subside - they did not! After six weeks I ditched the dreadful Amlodipine, but still have tinnitus five weeks later, plus very unpleasant migraine type headaches ( something I had never had before ! ) Beware !"

Jotee May 6, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Worst BP med ever, I was like a zombie on it and gained weight very fast,"

oceanpalm May 6, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "My Doctor put me on 10 mg of Amplodipine for high blood pressure.But he had to take it down to 2.5 mg because I was getting dizzy and had double vision While it does bring my bp down the side effects are just to much to handle. One hour after taking this medication I get extreme anxiety along with head aches and not sleeping very well at night like I used to. I also noticed a lot of fatigue.I will be asking my doctor to take me off this medication and switch it to some thing with less side effects........."

Fran 63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I switched to amlodipine after dry cough from lisinoprel. Cough decreased in frequency but still persists years later. On amlodipine I really went downhill, severe joint pain every joint is affected and leg and ankle swelling are really terrible. Achy all the time most especially in low back and legs to the point I simply can not walk anymore. I take a few steps and the legs ache so bad they lock up and I must rest to take another step. Eventually I get home but really I can't even walk anymore and have gained weight and flab.losartan is not lowering my bp and I really feel death would be a kinder more desirable event. Who wants to live with this chemical straight jacket 24/7? The fatigue is so constant I look forward to going to bed."

Closer2death (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had hormonal migraines sine I was 17. I would have horrible migraines through my menstrual cycle each month. I developed high blood pressure & my doctor prescribed Linsinopril & when that didn't lower it enough he added Amlodipine. I took it for about 9 months and never had a migraine which was wonderful. BUT, I developed waves of severe fatigue and was feeling crappy all over much of the time. I developed swelling in my feet & ankles & my diastolic blood pressure was almost 100 all the time. I researched the medicines I've been taking & decided to monitor my blood pressure & stop the Amlodipine. I instantly felt better & my blood pressure actually went down. Don't know if migraine will return. Not worth the side effects!"

Mspamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

For Coronary Artery Disease: "I was prescribed 10mg Amlodipine to treat Coronary artery spasm after 2 myocardial infarctions at 35 and 37 years. First came nausea, which lasted about 2 weeks, however, the chronic insomnia and horrific, extremely vivid nightmares began almost immediately and are still persisting even though I stopped taking it about 6 days ago. Another side effect I experienced was extremely stiff and sore feet - I thought I had developed painful arthritis overnight and walking on them was horrible. I also experienced extreme fatigue all day every day, making it near impossible to care for my three children at home who are all under school age. I thought I was losing my mind. Feeling a bit better every day. This was a very scary experience for me."

carmenrecall (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I took Norvasc for three years. I feel that I have lost my passion for life and any motivation to do anything. By careful dieting, mostly portion control, I have been able to lose over 10% of my weight and my BP dropped. I asked my doctor if I could stop my BP med. he approved that as long as I monitor my BP at home. I stopped it about a week ago and I feel better each day. I didn't know that my feeling of depression was due to the Norvasc but I'm starting to come back to life."

Quilting teacher (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I would like to let everyone know that this medication did not work for me. It did not control my blood pressure well at the same time the side effect did permanent damage on both of legs. My feet started tingling and very sensitive. Now my feet hurts. Pain and numbness I still feel even though I have stopped this medication two weeks ago. This medication might work for you. ** If you take this medication and if you get tingling or your feet gets sensitive, immediately call the doctor and discontinue taking this medication. ** My opinion is that they should not be prescribing this medication in this country."

Do not take amlodipine. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Many won't read this far into the coments, but I found Amlodepine to work well by taking it in a different way. I, too, had some strong side effects on (1) 10mg or (2) 5mg daily. Swollen ankles were worst,, but nausea, tiredness, etc were culprits too. I asked my doctor what the smallest pill (mg) was. It is 2.5. I started using 4 in a day, but spreading them out. In other words, a 2.5 pill at 7am, 12pm, 5pm and 10pm (or approximate times spread out). I now actually only take 3 pills (7.5 total), but still spread them out. For me, it still has the right effect of bringing down the BP, but the side effects are dispersed out so they are MUCH more manageable. I sit in a soft chair or use the recliner to reduce ankle swelling."

MeterMaid March 15, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I recently went up to 10mg once a day of norvasc. Still does NOT help BP I have other medical conditions so I am not sure what side effects are from what conditions and other Meds. What I do know, is now i have crazy swelling in my hands legs and feet. It got so bad in my feet I could barely walk anymore. Even though it's not listed as a side effect I it feels like my whole body is swollen I am done with norvasc forever."

Allie3113 March 14, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "It help get my blood pressure regulated...No side effects at all."

GRANNYMOOK March 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm currently on Amlodipine 5mg tab- The first 72-96 hours on this medication were very rough-very severe headaches, palpitations, dizziness, etc. After the 3rd day, the headaches subsided and by the 5th day they were gone. BP had been elevated due to non-tolerance from previous med combo. By the end of the 1st week BP was down into the 120s over 80s. So far I have been using this med for just over one month without any major side effects other than slight water retention leading to slight swelling of hands and ankles. My weight has remained steady. The med worked for me and I am glad as I had been trying so many different types of med to control BP that I was starting to lose hope."

BP In PA March 3, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Hi I was put on 10mg. amlodipine mid December by my cardiologist. After 4 weeks, bouts of insomnia started creeping in, nausea (to the point that my stomach wanted to really vomit), and my hands and feet started to sweat profusely. After a week, I started feeling tingling sensations in my hands and feet as well as palpitations. I fainted at work about 1.5 weeks ago, doctors couldn't find out what the problem was. I almost fainted last Sunday, and again doctors couldn't see what the problem was, though maybe it could be side effects of the amlodipine. The cardiologist shifted me over to enalapril 10mg instead. Been off the drug for 3 days now, but still feel side effects. When do they disappear?"

Kristian1986 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Taken for 9 months. 1 pill didn't lower BP so taking two -10 mg total. Side effects swelling ankles, fatigue, muscle pain - difficult to work with the side effects. Going to try a different drug."

Female 53 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Amlodipine for almost 8 days now. I've had nausea off and on and this is my 2nd night of insomnia (luckily, not in a row), but it really sucks. My BP is down and I feel great other than the insomnia. I'm on 5 mg. wondering if the 2.5 mg would work? Anyone know if lessing the dosage would work?"

Faith Epp February 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking almost 3.5 yrs. side effects: restless leg, itching, dry mouth, rash, tired, insomnia, joint pain and overall feeling of something wrong. I stopped taking it and for about two weeks and I've been feeling great. Right away I started to feel more energetic. Sleeping well. Today I took one to see if I should start taking again and now I have itching, restless leg and insomnia. I'm not taking anymore. It's horrible"

Mrsgrc February 5, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Writing again, I guess amlodipine has something to do with my sleep stages. I feel some changes in the depth of night sleep. Before taking this med, I was generally having very deep and unconscious type night sleeps and regular migraines in the base of skull (occipital nerves) after awakening in the morning. Whenever I was very tired and feeling very sleepy before going to bed in the night, I woke up in the mid night due to severe pain in the base of the skull. Whenever I suddenly awaken from deep sleep due to external interruption, I found myself a bit confused for some time. With amlodipine, I have moderate depth of sleep and don't get confused if suddenly awaken / interrupted from sleep. No migraines so far."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Took one 5 mg pill at 11 am, became immediately tired. Fell asleep. Had VERY VIVID dream. Feel pain in kidneys. Getting a tension headache now just 2 hours later. Reading other reviews I can't believe this medicine is legal. Diet and exercise is the better choice."

Hook55 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "10 mg amlodipine at night do wonders for my migraines and headaches. Gave it 9 instead of 10 bc of ankle swelling. Had migraines all my life (now 62 yo), went through a complete list of migraine preventives at least 4 times before I gave up. Tried verapamil (also CCB) but it did not do the trick. I had daily headaches. Was on high doses of daily tryptans. A year ago, my bp started to rise (150/90 vs 110/60) and I got worried bc tryptans are generally contraindicated in patients with high bp. Ran into several case report publications suggesting almost miracle results after migraine pts were given amlodipine. My pcp cooperated. I stated very slowly with 2.5 mg a day and felt positive results right away."

bos5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016