User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 16 reviews 32 medications

5.6
Coronary Artery Disease 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 144 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 24 year old male with high blood pressure. I started Amlodipine back in October 2014 and it did an excellent job to lower my pressure. I was perfectly fine taking 5 mg each day for the first several months. Then around June of 2015, I started getting pains in my upper left and right chests, headaches began to hit me, and I began to develop an anxiety problem. I am typing this review 3 days after I have now stopped taking Amlodipine. The past few weeks have been worse than a nightmare for me - my anxiety has reached severe levels, the pains in my upper chest, shoulders, and forearms was becoming unbearable, I've been continuously nauseous for nearly 2 weeks now, had high-pitched ringing in my ears, and was completely depersonalized."

Mr Tornado August 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking this drug after Lisinopril caused me to cough 24/7. Started with 5mg for HBP 140/90. Instantly gained about 20lbs. Exercise became more difficult; hands fall asleep at night, every night, unless I wear arm braces; swelling in ankles; general feeling of being in a 'fog' and also very easily irritated. Nodding off around 6pm after work; but force myself to stay awake. When I go to bed, I have insomnia. I decided to cut the pill in half, take it at night and now I have joint pains along with other symptoms. My worst day yet, I just didn't feel right all day; felt confused, anxious to drive to work. Stopped taking the drug that day and one day later I feel like myself again. Symptoms fading; will ask doc for diff drug."

Kmcde12 August 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was started on amlodopine 5 mg four years ago for high BP. I started having neuropathy, restless sleep, diff with urination and dry mouth. I was referred to a neurologist who said the causes were from lupus and sent me to a another dr. Who prescribed Plaquinal I continued to have the same problems only worse. Then prednisone was added worse symptoms. BP was good but I was not. So I tapered off and stopped all meds except Amlodopine but became worse not better. By his time I could hardly walk went on line and reviewed Amlodopine. Yes it could cause these problems. Stopped it and guess what symptoms are improving and the BP is still ok."

Colorado carol (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This is my second med for blood pressure the first was metaprolol which had me completely out of it. I was switched to norvasc along with propanalol to calm the anxiety but it hasn't worked. I get 3-4 hours of sleep where as before the meds I was sleeping 8-10. I have this overwhelming feeling on a daily basis along with anxiety and panic. I have these uncontrolled quivers in the middle of the morning like i cold. Now the nausea is so bad I haven't been able to eat a full mean in over 2 weeks. I'm always tired and starting to have self-esteem issues due to the rapid weight loss ov 20 lbs. I see the doctor tomorrow to get off this medicine it has taken more from me than helped. I need my normal back!"

overwhelmed81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I am a mid-fifty male post open heart (4 mths ago) and stents (3 weeks ago).I have been on Norvasc 5 mg for about 10 days now as the predecessor drug's side effect were horrible. It has been very effective at lowering my BP (117/75) the side effects are still concerning. Dizzy, tired, maybe some depression & anxiety, slight problem with deep breathing and week muscles. Although I can function normally the day-to-day functions are an effort so I push through. The mornings (when I take Norvasc) are not as good as the afternoon when I feel better. I believe the side effects are getting better but am unsure. What I want is to be normal again and active. They say it takes a few week for the body to adjust. I'll give it its due course."

Cabage43 (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Novask like all meds have side affects works great on me..lowered my stubborn pressure from 238/110 down to 140/90 in 4weeks. Its very effective. I found that taking 5mg in the am and 5mg at night are more effective with less side effects No results on lopressor after a year on that stuff. .bad side effects."

christinex August 5, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Amlodipine for several years in addition to a diuretic and ARB for high blood pressure. Although it does lower blood pressure slightly, its main effect to me was to cause swelling of my ankles and feet. That became entirely unacceptable to me a couple of months ago. The edema was so bad that bending my ankles was uncomfortable. Upon stopping the drug, I can once again see my ankles and the veins of my feet. I cannot believe that a drug that produces one of the side effects of congestive heart failure can be a good drug. I am never taking it again."

dale3242 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effect. Swollen ankles"

huskyhater (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Doesn't work to lower blood pressure. I started this medicine 8 months ago and it hasn't done anything. My dr added Benzepril on top of this and my blood pressure is still the same. Switching to a beta blocker next time I go to his office. Gave it 2 stars because although it doesn't work, I haven't experienced other adverse effects which is a plus!"

bigjerm74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I hate Norvasc! It made my blood pressure worse. I was always borderline with my blood pressure. It didn't help that I work nights and my diet isn't the greatest. My doctor wanted to me try this medication for a month to see if my blood pressure would lower. Within a week my blood pressure which usually hovers at 140/80 with a pulse of 80 shot to a ridiculous 200/98 with a pulse of 98. My blood pressure will always spike around the evening. My anxiety worsened and I got headaches. This medication does not work for me and I am not going to be tricked into staying on it longer."

coldnose July 25, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have this scorching pain in my legs and this is the only new med?"

Mariar56 July 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This is the most horrifying drug I have ever taken in all my 67 years. My Doctor prescribed it in conjunction with Lisinopri because my blood pressure, which was slightly above normal, needed to be further lower, said Doc. With no verbal warning from the Doctor or the pharmacy, after three days I stopped sleeping. I went for a 40 hour period with two hours of sleep. When I was awake, I had absolutely no energy or enthusiasm. I had no idea what was happening. I reached out to the Doctor via email for help, She actually suggested I might need psychiatric help. I was dumbfounded. Finally I figured out what was going on by researching online. I stopped taking the drug, and changed Doctors and Hospital Systems. Be warned."

DPiedmont July 21, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication changed my life! At age 60 I thought I would go to my grave with a migraine. This started at around age 16. Then being diagnosed with high blood preasure I ran the gambet of a few different drugs to figure out what worked best for me. In the fine tuning stages of treatment I was prescribed Amlodipine in combination with another drug. Life changing!!!!! I had migraines at least 3 times a week and suddenly I realised it had been 2 weeks, then 3 then a month, then 2......no headache! Why oh why did it take all this time to figure it out! So very Happy with my new life!!!!!!!"

MargieW91 July 16, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this medication and don't recommend it. I had insomnia when I was on it, and 2 days so far after. It gave me cramps, nerve pain, weakness/fatigue, lack of interest in doing anything. Anxiety, spasms, and it feels like the veins in the left side of my head have swollen. My left side of my throat and jaw stay mostly numb even 2 days off. If you are seeking advice on high blood pressure just watch your sodium intake. Most Doctors and Nurse practioners that I've had met just seem to be pushers for the pharmaceutical companies."

joe6311452345 May 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on amlodipine 3 years. Initially basileate but got pain and itching in hands and arms like RSI. Allergic to basileate. Now on amlodipine maleate and no probs. Slight swelling in ankles but remedied with additional candasartan 16mg. Feel lots better. Worth checking out the maleate if probs with itching tingling and pain in upper limbs."

fatso uk April 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on this for blood pressure of 180/100 with a 'thready pulse" of 102, dizziness and ligjtheadedness. It brought my pressure and pulse back down to the "normal" zone(within 4 hours); however, the downside has been extreme fatigue (all I want to do is sleep), and migrain headaches that last throughout the day, as well as a feeling of anxiety and irritability. The doctor had told me it will pass" once my body adjusts to it (a few more weeks), but I don't see it happening. The only positive thing is it got my pressure and pulse down, but this isn't working for me adverse reaction wise. (5mg. once a day.)"

nursefeelbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I was first prescribed a combination pill Amlodipine-Benazepril 10/20mg and after 29 days of taking it I suffered an allergic reaction called Angieodema (Face swelled up) and it turns out I'm allergic to Benazepril. I went 4 days with no medication and on the 4th day had a dizzy spell at work pressure was 150/118. Dr. called in a new prescription of just Amlodipine 10mg, it's only been 7 days so maybe it's not enough time. However my pressure spiked today to 154/120!!! I feel Great however, I don't have any muscle cramps. I did experience a rapid heart beat a few days ago. My concern is maybe the mg's are too low. Dr is saying to wait 2 weeks to get full effect of the pill. I will update in 2 weeks."

DeeJayJoe April 8, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Face flushes and felt incredibly warm! Meds dropped my BP but I couldn't live with the nuclear glow from my face! Doc moved me to other meds."

monabri (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Norvasc caused extreme leg and ankle edema and did not improve hypertension much. After 6 weeks of use I was put on lisinopril and within 2 days had no more leg swelling and blood pressure lowered greatly. So far so good on new medication."

Mcna (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Just as the above, my life has been changed as a result of starting on Amlodipine. I was prescribed it for my hypertension, and my migraines have completely disappeared. I suffered migraine three days a week. I mentioned this to my GP and he told me this makes perfect sense. Migraine, I'm told, is a consequence of blood vessels in the head being in spasm and Amlodipine has a 'stabilizing' effect on these blood vessels."

Hoofbag (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered migraines for many years getting them once a week or more, Doctor prescribed Imigran, at onset, not much use when you are sick with them, anyway, I was told I had hypertension, prescribed Amlodpine, 5 MG initially and then 10MG! Almost immediately the migraine were gone, I changed blood pressure medication once on the advice of my Doctor, the migraines came back with two days, back on Amlodipine for me, no more migraine, I went to the pharmacist who explained why it works in this way, I would recommend. Miracle stuff."

Bionicle3112 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking 5 mg amlodipine about two months ago. My blood pressure is still 140/90 and my body aches from the waist down. I wake up during the night/early morning and have to get up I am so uncomfortable. I called the doctor and he said the symptoms would most likely go away. They haven't and seem to be getting worse. I'm going to call him again this week"

NannaBanana (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am a 62 male, served as a fireman for 33 years, and suffered with migraine at least two a week from the age of 21. Mine being related to food, alcohol, vinegar etc. Has been hell for years. I have tried all the so called preventative medicines to no avail, but managed to control them with Imigran. Last year I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg for slightly high blood pressure. To my amazement my migraine has stopped completely. So I have gone from two a week to zero! Life changing to say the least. I now enjoy alcohol, pizza, cheese, vinegar, chocolate ! Hope this helps someone to live a normal life."

Fireman Ron January 18, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I've only been on Norvasc for a week and so far the only side effect is difficulty falling asleep and waking up periodically through the night. I know its the Norvasc since I work a very early shift and am generally exhausted by the time its ready for bed. If it continues I'll look into switching medications. However the first blood pressure medication I was on has a worse side effect. Uncontrollable coughing. I had to stop taking it after about a month."

PTBadman December 26, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Very bad acid reflux and anxiety."

pipper1956 November 6, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next