User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 21 reviews 32 medications

5.5
Coronary Artery Disease 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Amlodipine reviews 176 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Amlodipine

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had hormonal migraines sine I was 17. I would have horrible migraines through my menstrual cycle each month. I developed high blood pressure & my doctor prescribed Linsinopril & when that didn't lower it enough he added Amlodipine. I took it for about 9 months and never had a migraine which was wonderful. BUT, I developed waves of severe fatigue and was feeling crappy all over much of the time. I developed swelling in my feet & ankles & my diastolic blood pressure was almost 100 all the time. I researched the medicines I've been taking & decided to monitor my blood pressure & stop the Amlodipine. I instantly felt better & my blood pressure actually went down. Don't know if migraine will return. Not worth the side effects!"

Mspamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

For Coronary Artery Disease: "I was prescribed 10mg Amlodipine to treat Coronary artery spasm after 2 myocardial infarctions at 35 and 37 years. First came nausea, which lasted about 2 weeks, however, the chronic insomnia and horrific, extremely vivid nightmares began almost immediately and are still persisting even though I stopped taking it about 6 days ago. Another side effect I experienced was extremely stiff and sore feet - I thought I had developed painful arthritis overnight and walking on them was horrible. I also experienced extreme fatigue all day every day, making it near impossible to care for my three children at home who are all under school age. I thought I was losing my mind. Feeling a bit better every day. This was a very scary experience for me."

carmenrecall (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I took Norvasc for three years. I feel that I have lost my passion for life and any motivation to do anything. By careful dieting, mostly portion control, I have been able to lose over 10% of my weight and my BP dropped. I asked my doctor if I could stop my BP med. he approved that as long as I monitor my BP at home. I stopped it about a week ago and I feel better each day. I didn't know that my feeling of depression was due to the Norvasc but I'm starting to come back to life."

Quilting teacher (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I would like to let everyone know that this medication did not work for me. It did not control my blood pressure well at the same time the side effect did permanent damage on both of legs. My feet started tingling and very sensitive. Now my feet hurts. Pain and numbness I still feel even though I have stopped this medication two weeks ago. This medication might work for you. ** If you take this medication and if you get tingling or your feet gets sensitive, immediately call the doctor and discontinue taking this medication. ** My opinion is that they should not be prescribing this medication in this country."

Do not take amlodipine. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Many won't read this far into the coments, but I found Amlodepine to work well by taking it in a different way. I, too, had some strong side effects on (1) 10mg or (2) 5mg daily. Swollen ankles were worst,, but nausea, tiredness, etc were culprits too. I asked my doctor what the smallest pill (mg) was. It is 2.5. I started using 4 in a day, but spreading them out. In other words, a 2.5 pill at 7am, 12pm, 5pm and 10pm (or approximate times spread out). I now actually only take 3 pills (7.5 total), but still spread them out. For me, it still has the right effect of bringing down the BP, but the side effects are dispersed out so they are MUCH more manageable. I sit in a soft chair or use the recliner to reduce ankle swelling."

MeterMaid March 15, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I recently went up to 10mg once a day of norvasc. Still does NOT help BP I have other medical conditions so I am not sure what side effects are from what conditions and other Meds. What I do know, is now i have crazy swelling in my hands legs and feet. It got so bad in my feet I could barely walk anymore. Even though it's not listed as a side effect I it feels like my whole body is swollen I am done with norvasc forever."

Allie3113 March 14, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "It help get my blood pressure regulated...No side effects at all."

GRANNYMOOK March 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm currently on Amlodipine 5mg tab- The first 72-96 hours on this medication were very rough-very severe headaches, palpitations, dizziness, etc. After the 3rd day, the headaches subsided and by the 5th day they were gone. BP had been elevated due to non-tolerance from previous med combo. By the end of the 1st week BP was down into the 120s over 80s. So far I have been using this med for just over one month without any major side effects other than slight water retention leading to slight swelling of hands and ankles. My weight has remained steady. The med worked for me and I am glad as I had been trying so many different types of med to control BP that I was starting to lose hope."

BP In PA March 3, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Hi I was put on 10mg. amlodipine mid December by my cardiologist. After 4 weeks, bouts of insomnia started creeping in, nausea (to the point that my stomach wanted to really vomit), and my hands and feet started to sweat profusely. After a week, I started feeling tingling sensations in my hands and feet as well as palpitations. I fainted at work about 1.5 weeks ago, doctors couldn't find out what the problem was. I almost fainted last Sunday, and again doctors couldn't see what the problem was, though maybe it could be side effects of the amlodipine. The cardiologist shifted me over to enalapril 10mg instead. Been off the drug for 3 days now, but still feel side effects. When do they disappear?"

Kristian1986 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Taken for 9 months. 1 pill didn't lower BP so taking two -10 mg total. Side effects swelling ankles, fatigue, muscle pain - difficult to work with the side effects. Going to try a different drug."

Female 53 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Amlodipine for almost 8 days now. I've had nausea off and on and this is my 2nd night of insomnia (luckily, not in a row), but it really sucks. My BP is down and I feel great other than the insomnia. I'm on 5 mg. wondering if the 2.5 mg would work? Anyone know if lessing the dosage would work?"

Faith Epp February 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking almost 3.5 yrs. side effects: restless leg, itching, dry mouth, rash, tired, insomnia, joint pain and overall feeling of something wrong. I stopped taking it and for about two weeks and I've been feeling great. Right away I started to feel more energetic. Sleeping well. Today I took one to see if I should start taking again and now I have itching, restless leg and insomnia. I'm not taking anymore. It's horrible"

Mrsgrc February 5, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Writing again, I guess amlodipine has something to do with my sleep stages. I feel some changes in the depth of night sleep. Before taking this med, I was generally having very deep and unconscious type night sleeps and regular migraines in the base of skull (occipital nerves) after awakening in the morning. Whenever I was very tired and feeling very sleepy before going to bed in the night, I woke up in the mid night due to severe pain in the base of the skull. Whenever I suddenly awaken from deep sleep due to external interruption, I found myself a bit confused for some time. With amlodipine, I have moderate depth of sleep and don't get confused if suddenly awaken / interrupted from sleep. No migraines so far."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Took one 5 mg pill at 11 am, became immediately tired. Fell asleep. Had VERY VIVID dream. Feel pain in kidneys. Getting a tension headache now just 2 hours later. Reading other reviews I can't believe this medicine is legal. Diet and exercise is the better choice."

Hook55 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "10 mg amlodipine at night do wonders for my migraines and headaches. Gave it 9 instead of 10 bc of ankle swelling. Had migraines all my life (now 62 yo), went through a complete list of migraine preventives at least 4 times before I gave up. Tried verapamil (also CCB) but it did not do the trick. I had daily headaches. Was on high doses of daily tryptans. A year ago, my bp started to rise (150/90 vs 110/60) and I got worried bc tryptans are generally contraindicated in patients with high bp. Ran into several case report publications suggesting almost miracle results after migraine pts were given amlodipine. My pcp cooperated. I stated very slowly with 2.5 mg a day and felt positive results right away."

bos5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "The first 2/3 days were very encouraging. It helped me a lot. but afterwards I had severe side effects, chronic diarrhea, vomiting, nausea etc. generally feeling really crap, so that i had to stay home for a couple of days. Even a reduction in dosage didn't help much. switched to verapamil, which works similarly, but practically without side effects for me."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I am a 44 male. After trying lots of meds for migraine, I just started Norvasc 5mg. I was having at least two episodes of severe attacks a week. The pain would concentrate on occipital nerves in the base of the skull and radiate both upward and downward. I am a migraine sufferer since childhood. Norvasc changed my life. I am 3 weeks on this med and no migraine as yet. While the experience with this med is great, I am wondering for how long I need to take it. I feel myself kinda addicted. No life if I am unable to take this med."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Took Amlodipine Besylate 5MG for a year and blood pressure is now 118/70. Experience less energy but am OK due to being a type A personality."

No Complaint January 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I just have to start Amlodipine medicine for high blood pressure but want to know what time I should take, morning or evening and what are the side effects. Please if anybody can share their views. thanks"

Krishanji (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed amlodipine after lisinopril hctz and Losartan both caused severe hair loss and insomnia. After taking a dose, I would experience a severe headache for 20 hours, plus stomach upset. However, my hair was not falling out, nor did I have insomnia. It took about 2-3 weeks for the headaches and upset stomach to stop completely.It took about 6 weeks for my blood pressure to be in the normal range. No side effects currently. The only thing I'm not happy about is I haven't been able to lose weight while on Amlodipine, even though I'm strictly dieting. Prior to starting this drug, I had been losing nicely. But I suppose I'd rather be fatter with a full head of hair, than thin and bald. :)"

JSmithQR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Norvasc10mg 1x for about a year. Extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. I'm on metorololol as well 50 mg 2x"

bikerljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on norvasc a couple years. It'll does keep my BP down. Biggest issue is fatigue. No energy at all I've been depressed I thought the fatigue was causing the depression. ?? Doc sent me to get some tests because of the fatigue. Waiting results."

bikerljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2015

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have BP problems. Having hard time finding a med to control it. Was given a beta blocker that caused a heart attack put me in hospital. Put me on Norvacs 5mg twice a day. Was on 1 and 1/2 weeks I had severe headaches. Tremors,blurred vision, stomach pains, burning in my legs, had red burning spots form on my lower abdomen then blisters. Off med and will never take Norvasc again. Now on Losartin and Clondine,doing fair with BP. & no side effects."

Saddiegirl December 6, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been hypertensive for a little over 12 years. I have tried many meds to reduce it. All worked, but they also had negative side effects. After chatting with my Pharmacist and Doctor we started me on Amlodipine 10mg daily. This was maybe two years ago. After losing weight and starting to exercise more, I am now down to 2.5mg daily and no negative side effects. I recently started to supplement magnesium in the morning and evening and my pressures have further reduced."

Bexie November 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Started on 5mg once a day. Withing three weeks had episode of eye pain and severe conjunctivitis. I didn't suspect the med and neither did eye doc. Medication (drops ordered for eye problems). Conjunctivitis became chronic despite meds. Severe fatigue. Withing five months I was having pain and difficulty walking. My BP responded well and was normal, but had increased difficulty on short walks, developed "brain fog", stopped gardening, walking, daily exercises. I did not connect the med with the symptoms until a year later when I was unable to walk three level blocks because of leg, back, and foot pain. I decided might be the med and stopped it. Now perfectly normal and BP mildly elevated. No more BP meds for me."

Hestie (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2015