User Reviews for Allopurinol

Also known as: Aloprim, Lopurin, Zyloprim

Learn more about Allopurinol.

Mania 0 reviews 14 medications

Urinary Tract Stones 2 reviews 16 medications

8.7
Gout 18 reviews 6 medications

8.3
Calcium Oxalate Calc... Hyperuricosuria 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Cardiothoracic Surgery 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Heart Failure 0 reviews 129 medications Not rated - Be the first
High Risk Percutaneo...inal Angioplasty 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperuricemia Second... to Chemotherapy 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Leishmaniasis 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Reactive Perforating Collangenosis 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Allopurinol reviews 20 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Allopurinol

Review by aero guy:

For Gout: 30 year old male. had gout for 1 year. 1st attack so bad that it developed tophi in my big toe joint. Uric acid was 9.6 at the time. Made some diet changes but that only brought me down to 7.4. I have gout attacks quite often, but most are mild. Ive been on 100mg allopurinol for a month with no side effects. Uric acid is now 6.2 so I had my dosage increased to 200mg so I can get below 6. It is very important to get on daily colchicine (0.6mg twice a day) while starting allopurinol. I learned the hard way.

November 8, 2013 12:41 PM

Review by TKE268:

Aloprim (allopurinol) for Gout: I have had experience with gout since1975. Anyone with similar experience knows by now the pain gout inflicts. There were early periods when my use of allopurinol was intermittent. This proved to not resolve the problem for me. Sine 1977, my daily use of allopurinol has resolved the problem. Hopefully others have had similar relief.

October 22, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Wizmasta:

For Gout: I've had undisguised symptoms for 20 year causing mild discomfort e.g. Uric acid buildup on earlobes. Chronic wrist pain. Moderate two attacks , all annoying but I never figured it to be gout or realize the horror about unleash itself on me at a fit 49 years old. I exercise, only about 10 lbs overweight and eat healthy. I was a heavy beer drinker though. Last year my left wrist and thumb swoll to the size of a red grotesque boxing glove. No pain medication could touch it. Imagine bone fracture pain with no relief. I was in chronic pain, depressed despondent and close to suicidal. Because I had ignored symptoms for so long the rheumatologist told me I had "entrenched" gout and the allopurinol was going to make it worse before it got better.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 9:18 PM

Review by AllopurinolFan (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Gout: Spent a year in foot pain hell as one doctor after another misdiagnosed my gout. I was in a bad way, spending night after day after night in 10 out of 10 pain, wondering what the point was. I finally found a podiatrist willing to *listen* to my symptoms and put two and two together. After going on 300 mg allopurinol/day three years ago, I'm essentially symptom free with uric acid bouncing around 6.0. Like others on this board, I spend a couple of days a year with a slight stiffness in my arch. But otherwise I am functioning normally. I simply can't imagine going back to my life without Allorpurinol - truly a miracle.

September 27, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by Dc9sandharleys:

For Gout: 3 years - no attacks or side effects. Am now having one - forgot how bad they are. Going to watch diet closer. Overall good medicine - take 300 mg/day. I'm 50 yrs old.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by CeliacGoutSufferer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Gout: After a multi-year personal trial, it was found that if I consumed anything with Canola Oil it affected the efficacy of the allopurinol. As long as I take my daily 300mg and avoid Canola, then beef and beer (in moderation) are back in the diet. No full blown attacks in 18 months.

June 17, 2013 4:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Gout: I got terrible gout and played ice hockey when it first appeared. I'd be out of the lineup for weeks. The Doc had me on various medicines... none worked. I read about Allopurinol on a web search, suggested it to him. Only time I feel the gout coming is when I forget my daily dose. It been 10 years of success with no side effects.

July 2, 2012 2:32 AM

For Gout: Allopurinol works extremely well for me. I am on 300 mg per day and it seems to do the trick. However, my one beef is that sometimes the pills will suddenly stop working and I have to buy a new batch. I am guessing this is because of humidity changes or temperature changes, but it is annoying. For example, about half the times I fly somewhere I find on my arrival that the pills stop working; I carry the pills in my pocket or in my carry-on while in the plane, but even so, they stop functioning. I am guessing it is the change in humidity, but who knows?

April 3, 2012 8:16 PM

Review by stickin' with it:

For Gout: Been on it for a year with no side-effects. My uric acid is consistently in the 6-7 range and the debilitating attacks have ended. However, I still do get the occasional stiffness in the arch of my foot as well as an infrequent bout with pain (although much less in intensity). Without it, I was crippled and bed-ridden during my frequent attacks. With it, I live a normal life.

December 6, 2011 11:46 AM

For Gout: My problem was extremely dry mouth and some depression.

October 4, 2011 8:41 PM

Review by LJBRI:

For Gout: I am up to 900mg a day now and my uric acid levels finally dropped below 5. Rheumatologist informed me that I will have attacks as my body breaks down all of the built up crystal formations in my joints. I pray this works as the expected attacks are occurring daily. Have minimal noticed side effects.

August 24, 2011 10:06 AM

Review by LTjuggernuat:

For Gout: On my 3rd month of allopurinol 200 mg it doesnt seem to be working. 6.7 ua level 2 months ago. Still redness and pain.

May 4, 2011 12:42 AM

For Gout: I have been using allopurinol for about the past 10 years. I am now 70 years of age and still very active, I am on 100 mg a day, and up until the past 10 months I have been mostly pain free, but now the attacks of gout have started again. They last about 2 or 3 days, then go again. maybe I need to get a stronger dosage, but I must say I have never had any side effects from allopurinol.

September 28, 2010 8:18 PM

Review by Da Pig:

For Gout: Been taking 10 years and no gout

February 5, 2010 10:22 PM

Review by fried kidneys:

For Urinary Tract Stones: I have just started to use this drug and I hope it works. I have had more than 4 lithotripsy operations so far three external and one internal. I've gotta do something, it's destroying my kidneys and my pocketbook. I'll try to keep my fellow sufferers up to date.

December 26, 2009 3:12 PM

Review by whm:

For Urinary Tract Stones: Works like a champ for uric acid stones. Haven't had any in 3 years.

October 30, 2009 7:50 PM

Review by GOUTFREE:

For Gout: 56 YEAR OLD MALE. I HAD SEVERAL HORRENDOUS GOUT ATTACKS IN MY EARLY 50'S. ONE KEPT ME OFF MY FEET FOR A WEEK. SHORTLY AFTER THIS BAD ATTACK I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GOUT AND STARTED ON 300mg ALLOPURINOL DAILY. I HAVE BEEN GOUT AND SYMPTOM FREE AND NO DISCERNIBLE SIDE EFFECTS SINCE TAKING THIS FOR THE LAST 4-5 YEARS.

August 3, 2009 5:21 PM

Zyloprim (allopurinol) for Gout: This medication has been very very effective. I was almost debilitated with gout attacks and continued use of indomethecin. It only has one bad side effect for me and that is excessive sweating. Sometimes I will have hot coffee for breakfast and have to change my shirt afterwards. At times in public it is embarrassing. But it's a lot better than having a gout attack.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2008 12:08 PM

Review by yellowchthonic:

For Gout: i got terrible gout in the hands after using it. But then i did not drink all the water and still drank beer. Read the packet!

March 2, 2008 11:06 PM

Review by dagenester:

For Gout: I first started getting attacks of gout when I was 21. My first doctor told me to put my feet up. I decided after my third incapacitated week of illness to find a rheumatologist, who prescribed Allopurinol and Colcocine. I didn't experience the side effects, but I know I'll be on these pills the rest of my life. No problem, tho, because it beats having a gout attack! :) Allopurinol is a lifesaver!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2008 11:08 AM