User Reviews for Fosamax

Learn more about Fosamax.

Fosamax review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Fosamax to treat Osteoporosis

Review by Sijai (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When I first started this there were little, small side effects. I figured over time I would get used to the side effects and thus deal with them. Instead the side effects became intolerable. I would test the med by taking it while I was feeling well. I still had several side effects. Finally the last time I took this the side effects me sick for two full days. Terrible upset stomach, extreme gas and bloating. Worse aches and pains, unable to sleep even with sleep medication. The verge of vomiting at any moment, very dizzy. Extreme bone pain. Several other situations happened with the last dose.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2013 5:49 AM

Review by sunshine123#:

I started taking Fosamax for Osteoporosis and I have had a low back pain and body aches the first week, and on the second week I have had severe headache that lasted over two days, now its a dull headache. I'm not to sure on this medicine, I'm worried about the side effects. I hope the effects get better not worse.

June 17, 2013 11:41 PM

I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2000 and took Fosamax for 9 years. My bone density showed slight improvement after 3 years, but still in the osteopenia range. One year later, no improvement. I am grateful to have my bone density fairly stable, but am disappointed to not have had improvement after 9 years.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2011 8:54 PM

My bone density improved while taking Fosamax. However, I had nausea, intense heartburn, gained 20 pounds, and had to start taking prescription stomach medications due to gastric problems. Finally, I stopped taking it, lost 20 pounds, felt much better and could eat again, but my doctor is now telling me I have lost significant bone mass since stopping this medication. Will now try Atelvia with calcium supplements.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2011 12:23 AM

I have been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for 10 years now without problems. My last scan showed an improvement of 97 percent after ten years by checking my "T" scores.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2011 10:11 AM

Review by jds678:

I took Fosamax in 2003. I had severe leg cramps. I switched to Boniva because I liked the once a month dose verses weekly.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2009 11:57 PM

Review by Bumpa:

My wife has been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for four years now without problems - her last scan showed an improvement in osteoporosis. However, she has recently been supplied with a generic alternative. This has resulted in excessive wind and bowel functions. Is there such a thing as a generic equivalent?

219 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2007 11:29 AM