User Reviews for Fosamax

Learn more about Fosamax.

Fosamax Review Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 214 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Fosamax to treat Osteoporosis

"I was on Daily Fosamax about 5 years ago. I had severe GERD and stopped taking it. I used calcium supplements and in those years I didn't have much change. Recently after a scan, it showed that I had bone loss so I went to the weekly Fosamax. I took it in the morning and by that evening, I had severe backache and muscle ache that got worse. Then I had horrible bloating. I could hardly walk with the pain. I called my pharmacist and they told me that I need to contact my doctor and to stop taking the medication. They told me that the side effect symptoms might take up to 7 months to go away. I can not function. I will contact my doctor to see what he has planned. I would like to just take calcium and vitamin D regularly."

Tayloranne (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2014

"When I first started this there were little, small side effects. I figured over time I would get used to the side effects and thus deal with them. Instead the side effects became intolerable. I would test the med by taking it while I was feeling well. I still had several side effects. Finally the last time I took this the side effects me sick for two full days. Terrible upset stomach, extreme gas and bloating. Worse aches and pains, unable to sleep even with sleep medication. The verge of vomiting at any moment, very dizzy. Extreme bone pain. Several other situations happened with the last dose."

Sijai (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2013

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Fosamax for Osteoporosis and I have had a low back pain and body aches the first week, and on the second week I have had severe headache that lasted over two days, now its a dull headache. I'm not to sure on this medicine, I'm worried about the side effects. I hope the effects get better not worse."

sunshine123# June 17, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2000 and took Fosamax for 9 years. My bone density showed slight improvement after 3 years, but still in the osteopenia range. One year later, no improvement. I am grateful to have my bone density fairly stable, but am disappointed to not have had improvement after 9 years. "

Anonymous October 6, 2011

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My bone density improved while taking Fosamax. However, I had nausea, intense heartburn, gained 20 pounds, and had to start taking prescription stomach medications due to gastric problems. Finally, I stopped taking it, lost 20 pounds, felt much better and could eat again, but my doctor is now telling me I have lost significant bone mass since stopping this medication. Will now try Atelvia with calcium supplements."

Anonymous June 25, 2011

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for 10 years now without problems. My last scan showed an improvement of 97 percent after ten years by checking my "T" scores. "

Anonymous April 19, 2011

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Fosamax in 2003. I had severe leg cramps. I switched to Boniva because I liked the once a month dose verses weekly."

jds678 July 11, 2009

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My wife has been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for four years now without problems - her last scan showed an improvement in osteoporosis. However, she has recently been supplied with a generic alternative. This has resulted in excessive wind and bowel functions. Is there such a thing as a generic equivalent?"

Bumpa April 2, 2007

249 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Osteoporosis