User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Learn more about Acetazolamide.

Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness 5 reviews 32 medications

6.2
Seizure Prevention 1 reviews 34 medications

Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 49 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I've been on and off this medicine since 2006, I was told I'd be able to stop, but it has has not happened. It helps so much with the IH even with the tingling and taste issue side effects, I don't know what I'd do without it. I've had two spinal taps and I really do not enjoy that experience."

PennyChristine (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "i was diagnosed in 2014, and I can honestly say it has been a very difficult disease to handle......though I know there are much worse out there. I was put on Diamox and my headaches or vision problems did not improve, in fact they got worse. I have had more migraines since starting this than I ever did before. The side effects are awful........no appetite, foggy head (I am barely able to function day to day), nausea, everything you try to eat tastes AWFUL. I am glad this has worked for some, but I can not continue taking it."

Sarah G B June 9, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been using Diamox off and on since 2009 for pseudotumor cerbri. With the correct dosage I was able to reasonably maintain my headaches. The most common side effects I have are tingling in hands, face, and feet and dry mouth. These are tolerable side effects compared to pain off of the medication."

LMOT May 11, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed back in 2011. I am 22 years old, about to start college and found out that I had psudotumor cerebri, it took the doctors 3 days and 2 nights to figure out what was wrong with me, I went on toprimate, diamox, and for the migraines I was also on Fioricet. I have been through many, many doctors. Moved down to KY with my family in 2013, been here for two years. I have learned to live with the pain and the headaches, I finally was able to find neurologist, and he put me on diamox. I have lost 8 IBS being on it already, tingling in the fingers, and around my lips. I no longer drink pop anymore at all, it works."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Glaucoma: "I only had side effects for the first 2 weeks. The most annoying side effect was the tingling in my feet and knees. Luckily, my hand were fine. I also had to go pee at least 20 times a day and each time I would pee a hell lot of water. This was mostly disturbing when I was at work and had to get up every 30 minutes to go to the bathroom. My head also felt pretty light and I fell asleep easily during the day. Other than that, it isn't AS bad as the other comments say. I was pretty scared after reading a couple of those. In all, this medicine does require some getting used to. Luckily for me, it passed after two weeks or so. Except for the tingling in my feet. But I got used to it."

C.Leblanc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "It works well as a diuretic. I take it for Meniere's Disease."

Jen6973 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Effective, but not without side effects. The first month was pretty bad - my hands, feet, and legs were falling asleep and I experienced painful tingling and cramps. My joints also had problems, and I had to wear a brace on my knee for a little while. I was more lethargic. Anything carbonated tasted awful. I couldn't drink caffeine or my whole body would feel weird and tingly. I also had to pee a lot during the first few weeks and was quite thirsty. Over time, most of the side effects went away, and my pressure went down. My vision problems completely went away. However, a new side effect appeared after about two years - tinnitus. It is definitely being caused by the medicine, because I've found that skipping a dose makes it go away."

Sherryola February 1, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri 2 weeks ago after experiencing blurry vision and dizziness for sometime. I got an eye exam done and they saw I had a swollen optic nerve. The neurologist prescribed Diamox., told me to lose weight and stop birth control. I noticed within about 2 days of taking the medication the blurred vision is completely gone. Dr. told me to ease into the meds. starting 1/2 a 250 mg pill 2x/day for week, then 1 250mg pill 2x/day for week then if symptoms persist take 3 250mg pill 3x/day. This helped getting me used to the side effects so far I have the tingling in fingers and sometimes mouth. I pee alot but am trying to lose weight so drinking lots of water and eating healthy and no pop is likely helping to."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "I have been on Diamox 3 times now to manage spikes in eye pressure. On all three occasions my eye pressure soared into the 60's and 70's before I started to come down 7-11 hours later. My body temperature plummeted, I just shivered and could not keep warm for the first few hours. Within the first 24 hours my legs weakened considerably and significantly limited my capacity to walk. My speech and cognitive function also slowed noticeably. Using Diamox for over one week triggered mood changes and suicidal thoughts. While on this my blood pressure was on the low side. Upon discontinuation of this my blood pressure soared to 166/110 with some fluctuations for 2weeks afterwards. I hope sharing this helps others."

InformedPatient December 26, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have had IIH since June of 2014 but was diagnosed "officially" with IIH in May 2014 after my first LP had an opening pressure of 45. I tried Diamox the first time but it made me so tired I couldn't handle it and then I went into spontaneous remission or at least my pulsatile tinnitus went away and I didn't need to keep taking it. I relapsed about a week ago and had an opening pressure of 55 after having extremely loud pulsatile tinnitus for a week. I was put on 1g of Diamox and for the past week the whooshing noise has gotten much, much softer and sometimes I can't even hear it. I take Vitamin C to help with the tingling and have barely noticed it. I'm thankful my body is responding well this time but it's different for everybody."

Cairolion (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri a little over 2 months ago, after many visits to doctors, nurses and hospitals. Then an amazing neurologist who finally gave me an answer as to what was causing all my problems. I have since had 2 spinal taps and have another still to come she is looking at doing bi-weekly. but since starting this medication. I have regained most of my vision, I had lost most of. I do miss my coffee but tea still is ok. I have an allergy to the pills so I take medication to stop the hives and itching and sometimes the pins and needles in my legs bring me to tears. My face tingling makes me giggle the twitching in my face does drive me crazy, but really its all better then going blind or getting the shunt."

Little Elmo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension in the early summer of 2013. I was put on 1000mg of Diamox at the beginning of November 2013 to keep the fluids from damaging more of my vision through swelling of my optic nerves. Felt the side effects within the first hour. Tingling in my hands and feet, some days my face. There were even days when my eyes and lips would twitch. All carbonated drinks taste like drinking battery acid. The first few weeks sucked, but it gets better with time. I just saw my eye specialist yesterday, 6 months of being on the miracle medicine, and the Diamox (and shedding a few pounds) has done it's job and not a trace of swelling! I'm able to come off it in a few short weeks. Thank God for good doctors!"

LewyLew May 2, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "I am taking Diamox this is the 3rd time I have been prescribed this. It definitely works but side effects this time worst of all. Am dizzy and fell, pins and needles hands, feet and face. Headache don't know if medication or from fall. Nausea."

Marydoll March 2, 2014

For Glaucoma: "I have Iritis, so to get rid of the inflamation, I was given Ozurdex which caused intense pressure to 40%. The DR. gave me acetazolamide which got rid of the pressure, but caused these insane rashes everywhere on my legs and extreme muscle pain. The loss of appetite is not a big deal to me as well as the tingly toe thing but I have those as well. I've been on this medicine for 2 months and just realized my symptoms are as a result. I seem to be the only one with these crazy side effects so if anyone else has them, please share and tell your DR."

auraleh (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2014

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on acetazolamide 500mg 3xper day. On the first day I experienced tingling on my feet that lasted at most 5 minutes and I woke up disorientated on whether it was 9 the same night, the next night, or the next morning. I have a ridiculously busy schedule and I'm always tired so I am still unsure if I have experienced fatigue due to the medicine. Get the capsules instead of the tablets if possible. Tablets release all 500 mg at once. The capsules release little by little so you don't get all the side effects just dumped on you. With the capsules side effects seem to be lighter in intensity. Soda tastes like crap. I already urinate frequently due to my water intake. My psuedotumor symptoms have disappeared though."

Rainbow_d January 26, 2014

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with pseudo tumor cerebri almost two years ago now and I've had a spinal tap done after a year of crippling painful headaches, blurred vision, bright red inflamed eyes, dizziness, the spinal tap unfortunetly went wrong and I had a spinal leakage from the high inter cranial pressure with an absolute horrible spinal headache so I had to have a blood patch then put on acetazolimide with the painful tingling sensations on my face arms and feet I couldn't sleep and I pee all night. I take 1500mg of it 3 pills a day and although it's helped clear my eyes my headaches, the wind tunnel noise in my ears of the fluid is still very loud I'm totally off balance and I have forgetfulness all the time not to mention I'm always tired."

NurseERkels January 25, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "Works very well to prevent symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness with no perceived side effects. I take 125mg twice per day as recommended by the altitudemedicine.org website for high altitude hiking. This actually speeds up the bodys acclimitization process and doesn't just treat the symptoms. Highly recommend it for staying well on high altitude pursuits."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2014

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed on a wednesday and by thursday I had started taking this medication. It did not kick in until the third day when I finally woke up without a headache. However, after one day of the pill I have seen its side effects. All beverages with carbination are now out of the question, they taste horrible. Pepsi tasted like soapy dish water with a hint of bleach and I noticed the tingling in my lips. The tingling in my lips and legs however does not bother me. I just find that my legs fall asleep faster if I'm not moving them. When my lips tingle it kind of makes me laugh, it wont freak you out. Hoping that by the end of the week the headaches are completely gone!"

CHELS6189 December 22, 2013

For Glaucoma: "I was placed on diamox along with other medications as a means of reducing Intraocular Pressure after having being told of having ocular atrophy. It really works, but had tingling effects in my hands and feet as well as the drowsiness/tiredness."

Waffy June 16, 2013

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "The first two weeks I had general numbness of my whole face, tried to take a sip of soda and everyone thought I was overreacting to how disgusting it tasted. I also had terrible pins and needles in my feet that woke me up in the middle of the night. That has gone away now but when they upped my dose I discovered now that I am having severe joint pain in my knees and have been unable to function regularly at my job which I was very good at before. I forget stuff very easily, which I didn't know is a side effect but I saw others here stated the same. I still give it a 10 because despite the side effects it beats the alternative because I have not had a headache since I started the medication and my eyes get better everyday."

forever87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2013

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just diagnosed last week with PseudoTumor Cerebraii. I had my first spinal tap yesterday.I started Diamox today. About 4 hours after the first dose I took a sip of Mountain Dew and about vomited. It tasted like drinking melted nails. My appetite is lessened which I am so glad about. I am 60 lbs overweight. My mouth is dry and my lips are somewhat numb. But from everything I have read the side effects to this medication or any other would have to be really bad before I'd say I can't take this medication any more. I pray the meds work so I do not need a shunt. I did not think of this as a disease. I thought it was just an occurrence like reflux or migraines."

QualityRN (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2013

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on Diamox for many years. Started out with tunnel vision and then found to have pseudotumor cerebri (which my mom has too). I have even had lumbar punctures to drain the fluid off my brain as well in the beginning. This medication has worked wonders. I did have tingling and numbness in my feet, finger, nose, lips but that eased off by taking Vitamin C or eating oranges, (this was recommended by my doctor and it works). Now the tingling and numbness are gone. I don't know what I would have done without this medication. Now all I do is take the medicine once a day and move on with my life. Please hang in there and don't get discouraged."

exwvgirl (taken for 10 years or more) January 22, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "I don't always use medication when I go skiing in higher altitudes but when I do I prefer Diamox. This is a God send when I am sleeping at 10,000 ft and skiing at 12,000-14,000 ft. I tend to get a little clumsy and do not have the focus and sharp alertness while taking the medicine. I just need to take the medication starting a couple days before the trip for about 4-5 days. The whole process is all about getting your body acclimated to the change in altitude from sea level to 10,000 ft in a few hours. Other preparations are still needed such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine, NSAIDs, aspirin, sleeping agents. Start drinking a gallon of water each day while on this medicine."

MogulMonster January 17, 2013

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "I have been recently diagnosed with the disease called BIH which occurs mostly in women and very young children and currently taking Diamox with annoying side effects such as pins and needles in feet, hands and lips which can last up to 2 hours at a time and be painful. I wake every night with interrupted sleep with a headache or temperature! I have been turned off a lot of food but mainly fizzy drinks."

AngeS (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2012

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I developed a pseudo tumor over the course of a weekend. My intracranial hypertension onset was so fast because it was brought on by taking an extended round of tetracycline for a persistent sinus infection. My dosage of Diamox had been 1000mg/day but it was flushing my antidepressant out of my system too fast so it was lowered to 500mg/day. The tingling went down, too. I still can't drink carbonated drinks, but that's better for my weight loss anyway. "

Bkcwjzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2012