User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Learn more about Acetazolamide.

Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness 5 reviews 32 medications

Seizure Prevention 1 reviews 34 medications

Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 44 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Acetazolamide

Review by Jen6973 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: It works well as a diuretic. I take it for Meniere's Disease.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 5:47 AM

Review by Sherryola:

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: Effective, but not without side effects. The first month was pretty bad - my hands, feet, and legs were falling asleep and I experienced painful tingling and cramps. My joints also had problems, and I had to wear a brace on my knee for a little while. I was more lethargic. Anything carbonated tasted awful. I couldn't drink caffeine or my whole body would feel weird and tingly. I also had to pee a lot during the first few weeks and was quite thirsty. Over time, most of the side effects went away, and my pressure went down. My vision problems completely went away. However, a new side effect appeared after about two years - tinnitus. It is definitely being caused by the medicine, because I've found that skipping a dose makes it go away.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 3:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri 2 weeks ago after experiencing blurry vision and dizziness for sometime. I got an eye exam done and they saw I had a swollen optic nerve. The neurologist prescribed Diamox., told me to lose weight and stop birth control. I noticed within about 2 days of taking the medication the blurred vision is completely gone. Dr. told me to ease into the meds. starting 1/2 a 250 mg pill 2x/day for week, then 1 250mg pill 2x/day for week then if symptoms persist take 3 250mg pill 3x/day. This helped getting me used to the side effects so far I have the tingling in fingers and sometimes mouth. I pee alot but am trying to lose weight so drinking lots of water and eating healthy and no pop is likely helping to.

January 27, 2015 8:27 PM

Review by InformedPatient:

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: I have been on Diamox 3 times now to manage spikes in eye pressure. On all three occasions my eye pressure soared into the 60's and 70's before I started to come down 7-11 hours later. My body temperature plummeted, I just shivered and could not keep warm for the first few hours. Within the first 24 hours my legs weakened considerably and significantly limited my capacity to walk. My speech and cognitive function also slowed noticeably. Using Diamox for over one week triggered mood changes and suicidal thoughts. While on this my blood pressure was on the low side. Upon discontinuation of this my blood pressure soared to 166/110 with some fluctuations for 2weeks afterwards. I hope sharing this helps others.

December 26, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Cairolion (taken for less than 1 month):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have had IIH since June of 2014 but was diagnosed "officially" with IIH in May 2014 after my first LP had an opening pressure of 45. I tried Diamox the first time but it made me so tired I couldn't handle it and then I went into spontaneous remission or at least my pulsatile tinnitus went away and I didn't need to keep taking it. I relapsed about a week ago and had an opening pressure of 55 after having extremely loud pulsatile tinnitus for a week. I was put on 1g of Diamox and for the past week the whooshing noise has gotten much, much softer and sometimes I can't even hear it. I take Vitamin C to help with the tingling and have barely noticed it. I'm thankful my body is responding well this time but it's different for everybody.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 9:35 PM

Review by Little Elmo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri a little over 2 months ago, after many visits to doctors, nurses and hospitals. Then an amazing neurologist who finally gave me an answer as to what was causing all my problems. I have since had 2 spinal taps and have another still to come she is looking at doing bi-weekly. but since starting this medication. I have regained most of my vision, I had lost most of. I do miss my coffee but tea still is ok. I have an allergy to the pills so I take medication to stop the hives and itching and sometimes the pins and needles in my legs bring me to tears. My face tingling makes me giggle the twitching in my face does drive me crazy, but really its all better then going blind or getting the shunt.

November 27, 2014 11:45 PM

Review by LewyLew:

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension in the early summer of 2013. I was put on 1000mg of Diamox at the beginning of November 2013 to keep the fluids from damaging more of my vision through swelling of my optic nerves. Felt the side effects within the first hour. Tingling in my hands and feet, some days my face. There were even days when my eyes and lips would twitch. All carbonated drinks taste like drinking battery acid. The first few weeks sucked, but it gets better with time. I just saw my eye specialist yesterday, 6 months of being on the miracle medicine, and the Diamox (and shedding a few pounds) has done it's job and not a trace of swelling! I'm able to come off it in a few short weeks. Thank God for good doctors!

May 2, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by Marydoll:

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: I am taking Diamox this is the 3rd time I have been prescribed this. It definitely works but side effects this time worst of all. Am dizzy and fell, pins and needles hands, feet and face. Headache don't know if medication or from fall. Nausea.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by auraleh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Glaucoma: I have Iritis, so to get rid of the inflamation, I was given Ozurdex which caused intense pressure to 40%. The DR. gave me acetazolamide which got rid of the pressure, but caused these insane rashes everywhere on my legs and extreme muscle pain. The loss of appetite is not a big deal to me as well as the tingly toe thing but I have those as well. I've been on this medicine for 2 months and just realized my symptoms are as a result. I seem to be the only one with these crazy side effects so if anyone else has them, please share and tell your DR.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2014 3:45 AM

Review by Rainbow_d:

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have been on acetazolamide 500mg 3xper day. On the first day I experienced tingling on my feet that lasted at most 5 minutes and I woke up disorientated on whether it was 9 the same night, the next night, or the next morning. I have a ridiculously busy schedule and I'm always tired so I am still unsure if I have experienced fatigue due to the medicine. Get the capsules instead of the tablets if possible. Tablets release all 500 mg at once. The capsules release little by little so you don't get all the side effects just dumped on you. With the capsules side effects seem to be lighter in intensity. Soda tastes like crap. I already urinate frequently due to my water intake. My psuedotumor symptoms have disappeared though.

January 26, 2014 10:05 AM

Review by NurseERkels:

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with pseudo tumor cerebri almost two years ago now and I've had a spinal tap done after a year of crippling painful headaches, blurred vision, bright red inflamed eyes, dizziness, the spinal tap unfortunetly went wrong and I had a spinal leakage from the high inter cranial pressure with an absolute horrible spinal headache so I had to have a blood patch then put on acetazolimide with the painful tingling sensations on my face arms and feet I couldn't sleep and I pee all night. I take 1500mg of it 3 pills a day and although it's helped clear my eyes my headaches, the wind tunnel noise in my ears of the fluid is still very loud I'm totally off balance and I have forgetfulness all the time not to mention I'm always tired.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: Works very well to prevent symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness with no perceived side effects. I take 125mg twice per day as recommended by the altitudemedicine.org website for high altitude hiking. This actually speeds up the bodys acclimitization process and doesn't just treat the symptoms. Highly recommend it for staying well on high altitude pursuits.

January 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by CHELS6189:

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed on a wednesday and by thursday I had started taking this medication. It did not kick in until the third day when I finally woke up without a headache. However, after one day of the pill I have seen its side effects. All beverages with carbination are now out of the question, they taste horrible. Pepsi tasted like soapy dish water with a hint of bleach and I noticed the tingling in my lips. The tingling in my lips and legs however does not bother me. I just find that my legs fall asleep faster if I'm not moving them. When my lips tingle it kind of makes me laugh, it wont freak you out. Hoping that by the end of the week the headaches are completely gone!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 11:19 AM

Review by Waffy:

For Glaucoma: I was placed on diamox along with other medications as a means of reducing Intraocular Pressure after having being told of having ocular atrophy. It really works, but had tingling effects in my hands and feet as well as the drowsiness/tiredness.

June 16, 2013 4:40 PM

Review by forever87 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: The first two weeks I had general numbness of my whole face, tried to take a sip of soda and everyone thought I was overreacting to how disgusting it tasted. I also had terrible pins and needles in my feet that woke me up in the middle of the night. That has gone away now but when they upped my dose I discovered now that I am having severe joint pain in my knees and have been unable to function regularly at my job which I was very good at before. I forget stuff very easily, which I didn't know is a side effect but I saw others here stated the same. I still give it a 10 because despite the side effects it beats the alternative because I have not had a headache since I started the medication and my eyes get better everyday.

May 6, 2013 9:03 AM

Review by QualityRN (taken for less than 1 month):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was just diagnosed last week with PseudoTumor Cerebraii. I had my first spinal tap yesterday.I started Diamox today. About 4 hours after the first dose I took a sip of Mountain Dew and about vomited. It tasted like drinking melted nails. My appetite is lessened which I am so glad about. I am 60 lbs overweight. My mouth is dry and my lips are somewhat numb. But from everything I have read the side effects to this medication or any other would have to be really bad before I'd say I can't take this medication any more. I pray the meds work so I do not need a shunt. I did not think of this as a disease. I thought it was just an occurrence like reflux or migraines.

March 16, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by exwvgirl (taken for 10 years or more):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have been on Diamox for many years. Started out with tunnel vision and then found to have pseudotumor cerebri (which my mom has too). I have even had lumbar punctures to drain the fluid off my brain as well in the beginning. This medication has worked wonders. I did have tingling and numbness in my feet, finger, nose, lips but that eased off by taking Vitamin C or eating oranges, (this was recommended by my doctor and it works). Now the tingling and numbness are gone. I don't know what I would have done without this medication. Now all I do is take the medicine once a day and move on with my life. Please hang in there and don't get discouraged.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by MogulMonster:

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: I don't always use medication when I go skiing in higher altitudes but when I do I prefer Diamox. This is a God send when I am sleeping at 10,000 ft and skiing at 12,000-14,000 ft. I tend to get a little clumsy and do not have the focus and sharp alertness while taking the medicine. I just need to take the medication starting a couple days before the trip for about 4-5 days. The whole process is all about getting your body acclimated to the change in altitude from sea level to 10,000 ft in a few hours. Other preparations are still needed such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine, NSAIDs, aspirin, sleeping agents. Start drinking a gallon of water each day while on this medicine.

January 17, 2013 9:20 AM

Review by AngeS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: I have been recently diagnosed with the disease called BIH which occurs mostly in women and very young children and currently taking Diamox with annoying side effects such as pins and needles in feet, hands and lips which can last up to 2 hours at a time and be painful. I wake every night with interrupted sleep with a headache or temperature! I have been turned off a lot of food but mainly fizzy drinks.

November 28, 2012 4:41 PM

Review by Bkcwjzy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I developed a pseudo tumor over the course of a weekend. My intracranial hypertension onset was so fast because it was brought on by taking an extended round of tetracycline for a persistent sinus infection. My dosage of Diamox had been 1000mg/day but it was flushing my antidepressant out of my system too fast so it was lowered to 500mg/day. The tingling went down, too. I still can't drink carbonated drinks, but that's better for my weight loss anyway.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2012 8:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: Can I just say for the people that are stating they have tingling/numbness with this medicine. I experienced this over a year and a half ago when I was first put on Diamox, they took me off it and put me on Topamax instead. For a year and a bit I was on Topamax and lost 30kg but the headaches never completely went away. Now I have been put back on Diamox for almost the last two weeks and I find only sometimes will I get any tingling at all... whereas last year when I first tried it I couldn't stand it. What I find works for me is taking the tablet whilst I'm eating, keeping my fluid up (only water), soft drinks and "bad" foods do tend to make it worse so I try to stay away from these. I find Diamox really does work if you're prepared to go that extra mile!

August 22, 2012 9:25 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: My daughter (6) was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri one month ago. She had a spinal tap done to relieve the pressure and was put on a very low dose of the medicine (125mg) twice a day. All seemed well for the first two weeks, and now we are back to the beginning with headaches, swelling of the face, blurred vision and unusual tiredness. She saw a neurologist yesterday who doubled her dose. Needless to say--today she was so tired that she took 2 naps! THIS NEVER HAPPENS! I am worried that these are all side effects of the medicine now. As much as I don't want her to undergo surgery for a shunt, I would rather that than have her not be able to function because of these symptoms!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2012 5:25 PM

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have only been taking the medication for a week. 500mg/day. I have lost 11 pounds in that week due to the loss of appetite. When I do eat I get sick. Nothing tastes good to me anymore. I'm having some crazy dreams at night. I urinate every 2 hours minimum. I get a tingling feeling in my fingers, face and legs. I'm having a spinal tap this Friday to relieve some pressure, I'm hoping after that happens I won't have to take this medication anymore. It has alleviated the headaches though!

February 6, 2012 1:11 PM

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with this condition in 1997. The radiologist said they did not know what caused it and there was no cure but there is medicine to maintain. Many years later with 3 different shunt placements...I now have a shunt that still does not work but I have my Diamox to help me!

August 24, 2011 5:16 PM

Review by poamflores:

Diamox Sequels (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: While there are some side effects, and it doesn't completely eliminate my condition, Diamox has allowed me to live a normal life. Most people do not even know that I am sick. I also have not had to have a shunt.

July 14, 2011 9:56 PM