Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises
What do I need to know about carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises Care Guide
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Exercises
- En Espanol
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a condition where there is increased pressure on the median nerve in the wrist. The median nerve controls muscles and feeling in the hand. Pressure may come from overuse and swelling of ligaments in the wrist. Exercises may help decrease the symptoms of CTS, such as pain, numbness, or tingling.
What exercises can I do?
- Finger extensions: Hold your fingers and thumb close together. Keep them straight. Put a rubber band around the outside of your fingers and thumb. Spread your fingers apart and then slowly bring them together without letting the rubber band fall off. Repeat 40 times.
- Wrist flexor stretch: Hold your arm out straight. Grasp those fingers with your other hand and slowly bend the fingers back (palm facing away) until you feel a stretch in your wrist. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
- Wrist extensor stretch: Hold your arm out straight. Grasp those fingers with your other hand and slowly bend the fingers and hand down (palm facing you) until you feel a stretch on top of your hand. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
- Wrist curls without weights: Sit in a chair with your forearm resting on your thigh or a table. With your palm facing down, flex your wrist up 3 inches and slowly lower it down. Turn your forearm over and repeat with your palm facing up. Do each exercise 20 times.
- Shrugs: Stand with your arms by your side. Lift your shoulders up to your ears and hold for 1 second. Then pull your shoulders back, pinching your shoulder blades together. Hold for 1 second. Then relax your shoulders. Repeat 20 times.
You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.