Generic Name: selenium (se-LEE-nee-um)
Brand Name: Tersi Foam
Selenium foam is used for:
Treating scalp and skin conditions such as seborrhea or tinea versicolor (a fungal infection). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Selenium foam is a antiseborrheic and antifungal combination. It decreases skin cell growth associated with flaking and itching. It also kills sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use selenium foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in selenium foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using selenium foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with selenium foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have broken, irritated, inflamed, or oozing skin at the application site
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with selenium foam. Because little, if any, of selenium foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if selenium foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use selenium foam:
Use selenium foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Remove jewelry before using selenium foam.
- Shake well before each use.
- Turn the container upside down to dispense medicine. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area as directed by your doctor. Rub the medicine in until it is completely absorbed. Wash your hands immediately after using selenium foam.
- If you miss a dose of selenium foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use selenium foam.
Important safety information:
- Selenium foam is for external use only. Do not get selenium foam in your eyes, nose, mouth, or in the genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use more often or for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. If you use topical products too often, some conditions may become worse.
- Do not use selenium foam for another skin condition at a later time.
- Do not use selenium foam on broken, blistered, or inflamed skin.
- Selenium foam may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Selenium foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using selenium foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if selenium foam is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use selenium foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of selenium foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Temporary mild stinging, burning, itching, or irritation of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe redness, stinging, burning, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Selenium foam may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of selenium foam:
Store selenium foam at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep selenium foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about selenium foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selenium foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take selenium foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about selenium foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to selenium foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using selenium foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about selenium sulfide topical
- Selenium lotion
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione
- Selenium sulfide topical
- Selenium sulfide Topical (Advanced Reading)