Generic Name: ketoconazole (KEE-toe-KON-a-zole)
Brand Name: Ketodan Kit
Ketoconazole foam is used for:
Treating seborrheic dermatitis (a skin condition) in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ketoconazole foam is a kit containing an imidazole antifungal along with a cleanser. Exactly how it works to treat seborrheic dermatitis is not known.
Do NOT use ketoconazole foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ketoconazole foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ketoconazole foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with ketoconazole foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a weakened immune system
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ketoconazole foam. Because little, if any, of ketoconazole foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if ketoconazole foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ketoconazole foam:
Use ketoconazole foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with ketoconazole foam. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Before applying the antifungal to the affected area, cleanse the skin with the cleanser unless your doctor tells you otherwise. If you are unsure how to use the cleanser, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Wash your hands in cool water and dry well before you use ketoconazole foam. If your fingers are too warm, the antifungal will begin to melt right away when it touches your skin.
- To use the antifungal, hold the can upright. Dispense the medicine into the cap or onto a cool surface. Only dispense enough medicine sufficient to cover the affected area(s). Do not dispense the medicine directly onto the affected skin or your hands because it will melt too soon. If the can seems warm or the foam seems runny, hold the can under cold running water for a few minutes.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage ketoconazole foam into the affected area(s) until the foam disappears. To treat your scalp or other skin areas with hair, move your hair away so that the medicine can be applied directly to the affected skin.
- After you use the antifungal, wipe any excess foam off of the container.
- Wash your hands immediately after you use ketoconazole foam, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of ketoconazole foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ketoconazole foam.
Important safety information:
- Ketoconazole foam is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, vagina, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse at once with cool tap water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use ketoconazole foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Ketoconazole foam may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to ketoconazole foam. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Ketoconazole foam is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame. Do not smoke during or right after use of ketoconazole foam.
- Ketoconazole foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ketoconazole foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use ketoconazole foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ketoconazole foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild, temporary burning or stinging at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); redness, irritation, or severe burning at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of ketoconazole foam:
Store ketoconazole foam at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Do not refrigerate or freeze. Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ketoconazole foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ketoconazole foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ketoconazole foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ketoconazole foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ketoconazole foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ketoconazole foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ketoconazole foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ketoconazole topical
- Ketoconazole cream
- Ketoconazole gel
- Ketoconazole shampoo
- Ketoconazole topical
- Ketoconazole Topical (Advanced Reading)