Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STA-tin)
Brand Name: Bio-Statin
Bio-Statin powder is used for:
Treatment of fungal infections of the mouth and intestines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Bio-Statin powder is an antifungal. It works by weakening cell membranes of the sensitive fungus. This allows the cell contents to leak out and results in death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Bio-Statin powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bio-Statin powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bio-Statin powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bio-Statin powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bio-Statin powder. However, no specific interactions with Bio-Statin powder are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Bio-Statin powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bio-Statin powder:
Use Bio-Statin powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Place the amount of Bio-Statin powder prescribed by your doctor in 4 to 6 ounces of water. Stir until all of the medicine is dissolved.
- If the mouth is affected, place half the dose in each side of the mouth. Swish the medicine around the entire mouth. Retain the dose in your mouth as long as possible before swallowing, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Take your dose immediately after mixing the medicine. Do not store mixed medicine for use at a later time.
- Bio-Statin powder works best if it is taken at the same time every day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Bio-Statin powder for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Bio-Statin powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bio-Statin powder.
Important safety information:
- Practice good oral hygiene, including proper care of dentures, while you are taking Bio-Statin powder.
- Be sure to use Bio-Statin powder for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Bio-Statin powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Bio-Statin powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Bio-Statin powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Bio-Statin powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; stomach irritation; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; high blood pressure; nausea; serious irregular heartbeat; vomiting; wheezing.Proper storage of Bio-Statin powder:
Store Bio-Statin powder in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine 90 days after the container is first opened. Keep Bio-Statin powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bio-Statin powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bio-Statin powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Bio-Statin powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Bio-Statin powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Bio-Statin powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Bio-Statin powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.