Are hydrocodone and codeine the same thing?? or same family?

Anonymous

Hello teresaolder,

Welcome to the site.-

Codeine is used in the treatment of pain; cough; diarrhea and belongs to the drug classes antitussives, narcotic analgesics.

Read more at: http://www.drugs.com/codeine.html

Acetaminophen/hydrocodone is used in the treatment of pain; back pain; cough; rheumatoid arthritis and belongs to the drug class narcotic analgesic combinations.

Read more at:http://www.drugs.com/acetaminophen_hydrocodone.html

Take care,

masso.-

They are both opioids (or narcotic pain meds, as some are more familiar with) but hydrocodone and codeine are different kinds of opioids. Codeine is derived from a natural poppy alkaloid and hydrocodone is a semi synthetic derivative. They are metabolized by the body differently. Codeine is metabolized into morphine to be used by the body. Hydrocodone is metabolized differently. They are similar in the way they work. They both produce analgesia and are antitussive meaning they help reduce the cough reflex.

Anonymous 5 Dec 2012

Fantastic answer.

happybrandee 6 Dec 2012

Awesome answer!!! Could not have explained it better myself!! :))