Effect of not taking medicine after thyroid removal?

Levothyroxine is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormone when your body does not make enough on its own (or make any when your thyroid is removed).

It is extremely important to take supplementary thyroid medicines when your thyroid is removed. Thyroid hormones regulate multiple metabolic processes and play an essential role in normal growth and development, and normal maturation of the central nervous system and bone. The metabolic actions of thyroid hormones include augmentation of cellular respiration and thermogenesis, as well as metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates and lipids. The protein anabolic effects of thyroid hormones are essential to normal growth and development.

If you don't have any thyroid hormone all these processes cannot be completed, and you'll experience symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Symptoms