Lutropin alfa Side Effects
Some side effects of lutropin alfa may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to lutropin alfa: subcutaneous powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, lutropin alfa may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking lutropin alfa:More common
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- stomach or pelvic discomfort, aching, or heaviness
- Congenital abnormalities
- ectopic pregnancy
- postpartum fever
- premature labor
- spontaneous abortion
- Adnexal torsion as a complication of ovarian enlargement
- blood in the peritoneal cavity
- changes in skin color
- cold hands and feet
- ovarian enlargement (mild to moderate)
- pain, redness, or swelling in the arm or leg
- troubled breathing
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking lutropin alfa:Symptoms of overdose
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- multiple gestation
- rapid weight gain
- severe nausea
Some side effects of lutropin alfa may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Bloated or full feeling
- breast pain
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- passing gas
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Body aches or pain
- difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- difficulty with breathing
- ear congestion
- heavy bleeding
- loss of voice
- nasal congestion
- ovarian disorder
- runny nose
- sore throat
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to lutropin alfa: subcutaneous powder for injection
Cardiovascular side effects have included arterial thromboembolism.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, flatulence, diarrhea and constipation.
Genitourinary side effects have included ovarian hyperstimulation (sometimes leading to ovarian enlargement or ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), ovarian cysts, ovarian disorders, dysmenorrhea, and breast pain.
General side effects have included pain and fatigue.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included abdominal pain.
Local side effects have included injection site reactions.
Nervous system side effects have included headache.
Respiratory side effects have included upper respiratory tract infections.
More lutropin alfa resources
- lutropin alfa MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- lutropin alfa Subcutaneous Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lutropin Alfa Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Lutropin Alfa Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Luveris Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Luveris Consumer Overview
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.