EnteregTreatment for Postoperative Ileus
Update: Entereg Now FDA Approved - May 20, 2008
FDA Issues Approvable Letter for Entereg (alvimopan) for POI
EXTON, Pa. & PHILADELPHIA, November 6, 2006 -- Adolor Corporation and GlaxoSmithKline announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a letter stating that the new drug application (NDA) for Entereg (alvimopan 12mg) for the management of postoperative ileus (POI) is approvable. The FDA has requested 12-month safety data, including analysis of serious cardiovascular events, from study 767905/014, an ongoing safety study in opioid-induced bowel dysfunction (OBD). The FDA also requested a risk management plan as part of the submission.
Study 014 is an ongoing Phase 3, blinded, long-term (12 month) safety study conducted by GSK evaluating alvimopan 0.5 mg twice daily for the treatment of opioid-induced bowel dysfunction in patients with chronic non-cancer pain. The study is targeted for completion late in the first quarter of 2007, with final data available in the second quarter.
The FDA's review of the NDA for POI included the six-month interim analysis of Study 014. This analysis was submitted in late September 2006 and showed an increase, which was not statistically significant, in the reported incidence of serious cardiovascular adverse events in patients receiving alvimopan relative to placebo. The reported events were in patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease, did not appear to be linked to duration of dosing and were consistent with epidemiological expectations for the subject population. Combined results from all completed studies in the chronic population submitted by GSK to the FDA did not support a conclusion that patients taking alvimopan were at increased risk for serious cardiovascular events.
"We will meet with the FDA to discuss the approvable letter and work with GSK to provide the additional information requested as expeditiously as possible," said David Madden, interim president and chief executive officer of Adolor.
"We continue to believe that Entereg has significant potential to benefit patients at risk of developing POI and those suffering from OBD and remain committed to its continued development," said Yvonne Greenstreet, Senior Vice President, Research and Development, GlaxoSmithKline.
Conference Call Information
Adolor will host an audio only conference call on November 6, 2006 at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time to discuss the NDA approvable letter. To access this call and have the opportunity to pose questions, dial 1-800-638-4930 for domestic callers, and 1-617-614-3944 for international callers, and provide the Passcode 55545189. The call will also be available on the Investor Relations section of the Company's website, www.adolor.com.
An audio replay of the conference call will be available beginning at 10:30 a.m. Eastern Time on November 6, 2006. To listen to a replay of the conference call, dial 1-888-286-8010 (domestic callers) or 1-617-801-6888 (international callers) with a Passcode of 29264969 or listen via the website. The replay will be available for one week.
Posted: November 2006
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Approval of Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus (POI) - May 21, 2008
- Adolor Provides Regulatory Update on Entereg (alvimopan) - May 9, 2008
- FDA Extends Review of NDA for Entereg (alvimopan) - February 11, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Report Favorable FDA Advisory Committee Meeting for Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus in Bowel Resection - January 24, 2008
- Adolor Announces Availability of Briefing Documents For January 23rd FDA Advisory Committee Meeting on Entereg (alvimopan) - January 18, 2008
- Adolor and GlaxoSmithKline Announce FDA Advisory Committee to Review Entereg (alvimopan) for the Management of Postoperative Ileus (POI) - November 28, 2007
- FDA Accepts for Review Complete Response to Approvable Letter for Entereg (alvimopan) for POI - August 28, 2007
- GSK and Adolor Update Alvimopan (Entereg/Entrareg) Development Program - June 11, 2007
- Adolor’s Complete Response to Approvable Letter Accepted for Review by FDA - May 31, 2006
- Adolor Receives FDA Approvable Letter for Entereg - July 22, 2005
- Adolor Announces FDA Update - January 10, 2005
- FDA Accepts Entereg for Review - September 8, 2004
- Adolor Completes Submission of NDA for Entereg - June 28, 2004
- Adolor Submits Second Portion of NDA for Entereg - June 1, 2004
- Adolor Submits First Portion of NDA for Entereg - May 7, 2004