Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is Diethyl Phthalate?
Diethyl phthalate (C12H14O4), or DEP is a diethyl ester of phthalic acid. DEP is used as a plasticizer in consumer goods, including plastic packaging films, cosmetics, solvent for fragrances, a surface lubricant in food and pharmaceutical packaging, and in tubing used for medical purposes. It is a colorless, oily liquid.
There are concerns about the toxicity of phthalates in consumer products and the environment. Exposure to DEP can occur through inhalation, ingestion, eye or skin contact. Some studies suggest little toxicity, but other research has identified reproductive toxicity in animal studies.
According to a document published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for occupational safety, diethyl phthalate has irritant effects on the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes and can lead to central nervous system (CNS) effects in exposed workers. CNS effects only occurred in exposed workers after 6 to 7 years of chronic exposure to phthalates.
 Chemical Information Profile for Diethyl Phthalate. National Toxicology Program National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Research Triangle Park, NCNIH. http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/chem_background/exsumpdf/diethyl_phthalate.pdf
 Autian J. Toxicity and health threats of phthalate esters: review of the literature. Environmental Health Perspectives 1973. 4: 3–25. Accessed March 31, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474854/pdf/envhper00501-0008.pdf
Top Medications Containing Diethyl Phthalate
- Cardizem CD 360 mg (BTA Pharmaceuticals)
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 120 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Embeda morphine 20 mg / naltrexone 0.8 mg (King Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Embeda 30 mg / 1.2 mg (King Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Embeda morphine 80 mg / naltrexone 3.2 mg (King Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Embeda morphine 50 mg / naltrexone 2 mg (King Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Embeda morphine 60 mg / naltrexone 2.4 mg (King Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Kadian 30 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 20 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 50 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 100 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 60 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 10 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 80 mg (Actavis)
- Kadian 200 mg (Actavis)
- Sulfasalazine 500 mg (Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended Release 100 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended-Release 120 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended-Release 240 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended-Release 180 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)