Generic name: diltiazem hydrochloride
Dosage form: capsule, extended release
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Tiazac safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Tiazac.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Hypertension. Dosage needs to be adjusted by titration to individual patient needs. When used as monotherapy, usual starting doses are 120 to 240 mg once daily. Maximum antihypertensive effect is usually observed by 14 days of chronic therapy; therefore, dosage adjustments should be scheduled accordingly. The usual dosage range studied in clinical trials was 120 to 540 mg once daily. Current clinical experience with 540 mg dose is limited; however, the dose may be increased to 540 mg once daily.
Angina. Dosages for the treatment of angina should be adjusted to each patient's needs, starting with a dose of 120 mg to 180 mg once daily. Individual patients may respond to higher doses of up to 540 mg once daily. When necessary, titration should be carried out over 7 to 14 days.
Concomitant use with Other Cardiovascular Agents.
1. Sublingual Nitroglycerin (NTG). May be taken as required to abort acute anginal attacks during diltiazem hydrochloride therapy.
2. Prophylactic Nitrate Therapy. Diltiazem hydrochloride may be safely coadministered with short- and long-acting nitrates.
4. Antihypertensives. Diltiazem hydrochloride has an additive antihypertensive effect when used with other antihypertensive agents. Therefore, the dosage of diltiazem hydrochloride or the concomitant antihypertensives may need to be adjusted when adding one to the other.
Hypertensive or anginal patients who are treated with other formulations of diltiazem can safely be switched to Tiazac capsules at the nearest equivalent total daily dose. Subsequent titration to higher or lower doses may, however, be necessary and should be initiated as clinically indicated.
Sprinkling the Capsule Contents on Food
Tiazac (diltiazem hydrochloride) Extended-release Capsules may also be administered by carefully opening the capsule and sprinkling the capsule contents on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should be swallowed immediately without chewing and followed with a glass of cool water to ensure complete swallowing of the capsule contents. The applesauce should not be hot, and it should be soft enough to be swallowed without chewing. Any capsule contents/applesauce mixture should be used immediately and not stored for future use. Subdividing the contents of a Tiazac (diltiazem hydrochloride) Extended-release Capsule is not recommended.
- Tiazac Side Effects
- Tiazac Drug Interactions
- Tiazac (diltiazem) consumer information
- Cardizem (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, coated dosage information
- Cardizem (diltiazem) consumer information
- Cardizem CD (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule dosage information
- Cardizem LA (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Cartia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Dilacor XR (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Dilt-XR (diltiazem hydrochloride) extended release capsules dosage information
- Diltia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) extended-release capsules dosage information
- Diltiazem dosage information
- Diltiazem consumer information
- Diltzac (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information
- Matzim LA (diltiazem hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Taztia XT (diltiazem hydrochloride) capsule, extended release dosage information