User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Brintellix review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Brintellix to treat Depression

Review by Hopeful1977 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm on my 3rd day. My mood seems to have mellowed out a bit. I'm not as moody as I normally am. I don't have the itchy skin but I have been experiencing a bit of nausea. This is my first time being on antidepressants and I really hope this gets me out of the funk I've been in the last 6 months. I got a 3 week sample supply and haven't submitted my prescription yet to see if insurance will cover what my physician describes it as "the designer antidepressant".

October 10, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by Ken in MN:

I started with 5mg then went to 10mg. I thought it was a great improvement. However, I started getting severe nausea that didn't go away after a month. I had to stop taking it, but I'm still having the nausea 3 weeks later.

October 7, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by Nikki S (taken for less than 1 month):

In the beginning I only had a problem with itching, I kept thinking my body would get used to it & it would stop. It didn't, it only got worse. I wasn't experiencing any other severe issues, so I had planned to stay on it, but on Day 7, I noticed that I was having trouble finding my words, my vocabulary was impaired & there was almost a stutter present. On Day 8 I became very nauseous & decided that would be my last day. The side effects were just too much to wait it out. Day 9, no med, my husband told me that I seemed much more relaxed and "involved". I cannot wait for this itching to go completely away! I did seem to have a little more positive attitude & motivation but the side effects were too much!

October 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by bray24 (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking this medicine for two weeks. I noticed I'm really itchy, my stomach is so sick, headaches, and I'm very tired. I hope it gets better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by Brint:

I have be taking Brintellix 10 mg for 10 days. I am itching like crazy, legs are very swollen, actually I think my whole body is swollen. Not sure if I should decrease to 5 mgs. Trouble staying asleep, waking up at 4am with bad headaches. Being treated for anxiety/panic attacks and depression, I have had for 35 yrs...Was on Lexapro and Bupropion for many years now...but I've always felt flat...no panic attacks... but also no other emotions. I hope I can continue to take this and these side effects go away! Good Luck to all who read!

September 9, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Benicia, CA (taken for less than 1 month):

My initial experience with Brintellix is very promising. I've suffered from treatment resistive depression and Generalized anxiety disorder for many years. Name it, I've been on it. Many medicines flatlined me emotionally, other's amped anxiety and left me sleepless, others were weight sensitive, causing rapid weight gain (hello Remeron); others worked like a charm - until they stopped working. It's been a 25 year struggle. My new Doc put me on Brintellix and within short days I felt more alert and 'content' with no sleeping problems. No side effects on entry dose of 5 mg. I take 2.5 mg Klonopin when required if I have an anxiety peak - other than that I feel like the "Me" I knew was in there.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 1:13 PM

This Medication is good. Feel so good that I do not feel the need to eat emotionally. I care about myself again and I feel no need to eat poorly. The only problem I am having is the side effects of being super itchy and I do get constipated.

August 15, 2014 3:18 AM

Review by AceDoss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on every antidepressant under the sun. I kind of started to lose really all hope in everything. SSRI or SNRI's had really negative side effects (mostly sexual) or some would give me "brain zaps" or other issues. Wellbutrin didn't really do much for me but force up my dosage of Klonopin I had to take. All around I would say this one is the best one I have tried so far. I have a very noticeable decrease in Anxiety. I have only been on it for a month, the depression is better but still there and I have random episodes of crying which I never had before(embarrassing as a 26 year old man). No sexual side effects, no known side effects so far minus the crying randomly. Will update later.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by StevenH86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My biggest issue on Brintellix was frequent mood swings. Even at the lowest dose of 5mg, I called my psychiatrist to report that within the first week, my mood would suddenly drop considerably for hours at a time on and off. At 10mg, I became very irritable on this medication in addition to the mood swings. At 20mg, the mood swings became so dramatic my therapist told me that my symptoms reminded him a lot of his patients who have bipolar disorder. I would cry at almost anything for no reason. The only upside of this medication for me was that it indeed did not give me any sexual side effects as advertised.

August 7, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by chendri887:

I've been on Brintellix for 4 months now. It is providing a mild antidepressant/anti-anxiety effect, but definitely not robust enough for my lifelong generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I'd give a 3.5/10. It's better for me than Viibryd (the medicine it most closely resembles), but I'm still in a state of deep dysfunction. On the positive side, the side effects have been minimal, the most prominent being some decrease in sexual desire and sexual pleasure. (Not really an issue for me though since my anxiety and depression pretty much have a corner on that non-existent aspect of my life). Also, even with my decent insurance, and Takeda's "discount card," the cost for a month's supply of 30mg a day (the dose I'm taking) is about $300. Not affordable.

July 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by story daze:

This medication has been a blessing. I have fibromyalgia which has caused major depression. I have taken every kind of medication out there that treats both. Side effects from other medications was too much. My doctor prescribed this although it does not treat fibromyalgia pain like most, it has made my mood much better. I feel much more happier and alive. I have only taken this medication for a month. Unlike most depression medication, I felt a huge difference the first day. Many people talk about the side effects of nausea with this medication... I did not have any. If I did it was not a big enough deal to make me notice. Overall, I think this was the best antidepressant I have ever taken and I have so far had no side effects.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by Webwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I took 10 mg for a few days but became very uncomfortably manic. So I started to cut the pill and it ends up that I am taking 20 mg over 3 days. This is the end of the 6th week. I have had chronic clinical depression for 27 years. I am taking this with 225 mg of Buproprion a day and 50 mg of Fluvoximine. I experience no improvement and have had more thoughts of suicide in a long time. I see the doc in two weeks. If it is not noticeable by that time, 8 weeks, out it goes.

July 18, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by nursecrybaby:

I have only been on this medicine for 1 week. Still on 10mg. Went cold turkey off 30mg of Lexapro. Not seeing a big difference yet in the depression but after going off the high dose of Lexapro I expect to not see a difference in my depression yet. What I wanted to share was that I have itching skin. I just want to scratch and scratch. I'm sure it will go away. I'm hoping to have wonderful news on my next post regarding the depression and hopefully some weight loss too.

July 16, 2014 5:23 AM

Review by Girlfriend in a Coma (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking it on Tuesday morning and by that evening started with some nausea. It got worse Wednesday, to the point where I had to leave work. Horrible headache, too. Today (Thursday) the nausea is somewhat better but the headache remains. Called my doc and she said nausea is a huge side effect, unfortunately. It may take up to 2 weeks to fully subside, but to stick with it. Try taking it at night, cutting the dose in half (I'm on 10mg), or taking with food. This is a very new medicine so I hope this helps others in their first couple weeks.

July 3, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by Guenda (taken for 1 to 6 months):

A total turn around! I feel like a new person. It's been a long road. I lost my husband of 36yrs, 3 1/2 yrs ago. I had just been surviving; not living. My dr. gave me samples and explained how this medicine works.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by AJF:

I'll be trying Brintellix starting tomorrow, so I haven't rated it for "real" for that reason - I had to rate it in order to post this pre-beginning review. I read the other reviews and I'll share my experience with it. Like many others, I've taken other anti-depressants (since diagnosed in 1997), which are the following: Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Zoloft, & Effexor (I STRONGLY urge everyone to think twice before taking Effexor - it's the only anti-depressant that had major, long-term withdrawals and was ineffective as well). I've also been taking Xanax 3 times a day for 17 years, and it's been a Godsend (not one panic attack since the first day I took it) and has a low impact on the body. I'm interested to see if this is helpful.

May 29, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Kittykat2014:

I'm extremely sensitive to the side effects of these medicines. Remeron is the only one I can tolerate (and it doesn't give me enough relief by itself). Brintellix's side effects reminded me of Pristiq's--falling asleep during the day, not able to sleep at night but it worked on my Interstitial Cystitis and it reduced my appetite, so I'm going to give it a longer trial in the summer when school is out and I'm not working.

May 24, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by tambogal:

This has worked the best for me thus far. I have been on several SEVERAL anti-depressants and by far this has been better with very little side effects. Nausea has been the only downside at this point. I missed two days due to my pharmacy being closed and didn't have the "brain zaps" after missing. Big plus in my book.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by spoookee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Generally speaking, I don't like anti-depressants. I've taken Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor (which was the horrible one for *me*), Lexapro, Prozac...seems like I'm forgetting one. They've never made me feel "better" or "happy," just "numb" and "flat." With Brintellix, I started off at 10mg for 6 weeks. I go for my checkup tomorrow and will be increasing to 20mgs. YES, I DID get nausea in the mornings for a couple of hours after I'd taken it. Taking it with food helped. That is a side effect that, for me anyway, went away within a couple of weeks. I expect the same with increasing to 20mgs, but I think it's worth it in the long run. I actually feel HAPPIER! More energetic, want to do things, etc. Has been miracle so far for me.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by MP2014:

I've tried so many antidepressants but this one has been the best. I was on 10mg for a month and just had my dosage increased to 20 mg, two days ago. I do feel sick; nausea and a little disoriented but those are bearable side effects to me. I have had energy, better concentration but the biggest thing I love about this antidepressant is that I have my sex drive back. My libido wasn't affected like it has been in the past with other meds; I've actually had increased sex drive. So far I feel "okay" but hopefully since 20mg is the therapeutic dose, that I feel more "content" or "happy" with my life soon.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Cattinni (taken for less than 1 month):

I am very medication resistant and was really hoping this medicine would turn it around. Started at 5 mgs and had blinding headaches and stabbing pain in my stomach. Day five, I had a huge panic attack and confusion. Gave me the kind of out of it feeling that I had with Effexor.

April 2, 2014 3:20 PM

Review by Tropic (taken for less than 1 month):

No side effects, a lot of sleeping, but a slight improvement of mood. 2 weeks so far.

March 31, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by Copenhagun (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been suffering from major depression since I was a teen. I've had issues with panic attacks, severe anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, and just about everything else. For years I've been on Lexapro because it's the only medication that would work for me. The side effects of Lexapro however were horrendous! The side effects outweighed the benefits. After a few months of discussing it, my doc switched me to Brintellix. I have done a 180! I feel so much better that it scares me! I haven't felt this good in so long that I forget how to act. I'd say it's a miracle., but I know it's no miracle.. it's science! After a lifetime of depression, I'm excited for the future.

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2014 9:35 AM

Review by joyjack31:

started on 10mg for 1 month had nausea and dry mouth, but nausea started to go away, still having depression and some anxiety. then doc went up to 20mg. I been on 20mg for almost two weeks. I been having nausea all day, severe acid reflux, severe indigestion and really bad upset stomach. not sure if this is related but if it is, I cant wait to stop this medicine.

March 20, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by mgm30:

I am taking 10 mg for 3 weeks now. After the first week I've started to feel a little bit better side effects dry mouth, I was not eating that much which is good because I am over weight but after the 3 week started to feel again depressed so it means that so far is not helping me, I went to the doctor today. I will increase starting tomorrow 15 mg and lets see how it goes...I will keep you posted.

March 18, 2014 6:54 PM