Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Brintellix review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Brintellix to treat Depression

Review by CaliGirl100:

So far it's been 8 days taking 5mg, I'm supposed to go up to 10mg next week. It takes me longer to get to sleep but once I fall asleep, I stay asleep. No other side effects at all, however I have these break through moments where I feel happiness for like 5 seconds, like a positive thought instead of a negative thought which is usually the norm. I think my brain is trying to adjust so I'm not sure what the full effects will be but it's giving me some hope it'll work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 4:55 PM

Review by 46f (taken for less than 1 month):

Taking 10mg for almost a month. Feeling good. Was on Prozac 60mg after 10+ years. I do not see much mention of sexual side effects mentioned. But I notice what seems to be on this med. Did not have any problem on the Prozac.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 9:51 PM

Review by David Olineck:

I have been using this medication for over a month. I find the side effect of nausea to be very minimal and was gone it about 10 days. My mood is positive and stable. However, I find my focus and concentration to be markedly improved. This medication does what it claims to do. Much better than the others and lower side effects.

March 15, 2015 1:57 PM

Review by muse malade (taken for less than 1 month):

Cymbalta worked for me for years and then, all of a sudden, just stopped working. This is day 8 of Brintellix. Suicidal ideation went down significantly but side effects are awful. I'm hungry all the time and thinking about food the minute I finish eating. Also, I haven't read this as a side effect before, but I believe I'm having some sort of allergic reaction as my limbs won't stop itching. I even took Benadryl for a couple of nights but without much relief. Is anyone else experiencing a similar side effect.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 12:12 AM

Review by daftv4der (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I didn't really notice any improvements, my mood was just as inconsistent and my anxiety just as prevalent, and I experienced many of the symptoms (notably the inability to sleep, and sometimes very strong nausea for an hour or two after taking the tablet, among others). I tried it twice but both times it had the same effect.

March 1, 2015 11:57 PM

Review by Swan2000 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Zoloft, Cymbalta, Effexor and they all stopped working at one point. My Dr then prescribed Brintellix. The only thing this medicine did for me was kept me hungry. I could be eating a meal and started to think about my next meal. I had a bad case of dry mouth, my eye sight started to deteriorate and I gained 12 pds in 5 months. I am now off Brintellix and on a different medicine.

February 24, 2015 4:07 PM

Review by LoraSue:

I am on 5mg and sensitive to these types of meds. The first week was bad with horrible nausea (even vomiting) and I was more irritable, but now on day 9, the nausea is gone and I haven't felt as moody, I am more relaxed. I should wait another week just to see how things might change. Otherwise, worth a try.

February 24, 2015 12:36 AM

Review by Kellewis:

I started taking 10mg .. and have been on it for 3 months.. Other than the being sick to my stomach..was the only side effect I had. I then started taking it at night so that I could sleep through it and it worked.. The crying and no motivation, isolating myself.. and just letting the world go by, fits of anger and yelling stopped..( my son was happy with that),,, Sadly I lost my insurance and cannot afford to pay the 300 plus a month for this medicine. And have been off it for 2 weeks now.. I am right back at square one.. With crying, and all that goes along with it... Some days I feel like I just want to give up.

February 21, 2015 4:07 PM

Review by An Average New Yorker:

I took 1/2 of a 5MG tablet - 2.5 MG of this sent me into the abyss. I was suicidal for most of the day just barely holding on. The only thing keeping me from calling family for help was knowing it was the medication and not really me. I just had to wait for it to leave my system.

February 12, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by LadyPeony:

I have been taking Brintellix for 4 days, at night, with food, and I am having absolutely no side effects. I feel a little little bit lighter/brighter, even though I know these meds usually take a while to kick in. So far so good.

February 8, 2015 10:56 PM

Review by jame b. (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Brintellix for about 3 weeks now. So far I've noticed increased energy, weight loss, nausea, headaches, loss of sleep, nightmares, and some aggression. I have finally found 1 that works and I'm having all these side effects. I started out on the 10mg and still currently taking the 10mg. Maybe I need to be on a lower dose. I also take Ambien 10mg for sleep.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by Drum Weezer:

I'm still in the process of acclimating to Brintellix while weaning off of Paxil. However, I must say that my anxiety and depression seems to be much better, and my hunger (caused by Paxil) has reduced. One of the major side effects of Brintellix is nausea. So, instead of starting on a 5 mg dosage. I cut the 5 mg in half and took that for three days since I am very sensitive to medications. Today is my first day on the 5 mg dosage and have not experienced any nausea. The only side effects that I have felt so far is a bit of heartburn/indigestion, mild sleepiness, and mild dizziness, which certainly hasn't kept me from doing my day-to-day routine. People should at least give this medicine a chance.

January 2, 2015 6:55 PM

Review by stoppedhopelessness. (taken for less than 1 month):

Day 4. I have already noticed changes. Pros: - no desire to cry - clear headed thought process - no mood swings/feel balanced(have not had any mood swings since day 2. I usually had them like 4x within an hr) - no angry outbursts or negative/hurtful comments towards people - decrease in paranoia - no longer feeling personally attacked by others Cons: - trouble sleeping - teensy bit jittery - itchy(not much) - definitely nauseous - trouble passing stool but not constipated - slight lightheadedness/ dizziness This is only day4 going on 5 so i am thinking my brain&body need time to adjust &balance out. So far i feel mentally, so much better. In control,i would say. Only odd thing i noticed was random laughing. But hey I'm not complaining!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 6:10 AM

Review by j bro:

It worked for about a month. 10 mg, then seemed all of a sudden stopped working.

December 16, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by Aprilk83:

I've been taking 10mg for 4 days now (today will be day 5) and I'm wondering if I can make it a full week like my doctor wants me to. The side effects have been horrible for me. I've been walking around like a nauseous zombie since day 1. Then there's the dizziness and headache that goes along with it. The only benefit I've experienced so far is weight loss, but that's not at all why I started taking this medication. Instead of the anxiety and depression I would normally feel, I feel no emotions.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Rozziemarie:

Had headaches, constipation, high blood pressure, and night terrors, dizziness.

December 12, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by Tammy L (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had great results from this medication for my depression and also my anxiety. I did not experience the "dumbing" down that I have felt with other antidepressants. My focus is good and I've not had memory problems. One side effect I've noticed is lack of motivation / procrastination. It may sound odd but being a full time college student, I've never put things off till the last minute like I have been doing since starting this medicine. Other side effects I've had are gas and bloating, diarrhea, nausea. These have lessened over the past 8 weeks. All in all I'm very pleased with the results. Insurance: I'm not sure how much our co-pay will be for this, as I've been using samples given to me by my physician.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Have anxiety and depression and have been on medicines for 20 years. Have taken Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro. Just switched 3 weeks ago from Prozac/Wellbutrin to Brintellix with Wellbutrin. Feel fantastic - much better mood, clear head, no anxiety. No side effects at all. Taking 10mg.

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Jus10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication is absolutely amazing. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Viibryd, Paxil and Cymbalta over the course of ten years. Brintellix was the first medication that didn't give the unpleasant "disconnected/sedated" side effects of other SSRI'S. As a male, the sexual side effects a minute. I began on 5mg for two weeks and achieved a therapeutic dose of 10mg once a day. I have my life back and it also helps with obsessive compulsive disoder symptoms. I suggest taking right before bed, as it can make you a little drowsy.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by francine5:

My doctor gave me 5mg samples to take for 1 week, then 10mg. The first two nights I had trouble sleeping, also taking trazodone 100mg for sleep. Today I took my Vyvanse 40 mg, and the Brintellix, I already feel somewhat better. No side effects, but sleep. I really think this medicine can help me for the depression I've had.

November 15, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by BRiTT!:

Started medication three days ago. So far my energy level has gone up, I feel happier and more positive. I have experienced itchy skin.. hoping that side effect subsides.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 8:33 AM

After 4 months I thought I was doing quite well on 10mg Brintellix until I had very bad headaches. MRI imaging demonstrated I had constricted blood vessels in my brain a second test showed it had reversed itself. My neurologist strongly advised I discontinue this med because SSRI antidepressants can trigger Reversible Vasoconstriction Syndrome which can cause strokes and brain bleeds. I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg which doesn't target serotoin I'm told. I'm not doing as well and sometimes think about taking a chance and restarting Brintellix and at least have a better quality of life! Depression sucks!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 11:48 PM

Review by pretty n pink (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love Brilltenex. I've been on it for a year. Unfortunately I take 20 mg. I feel a whole lot better. So much better than Prozac. Only down fall is that my headaches are back. Might lower back to 10mg. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by JNC (taken for less than 1 month):

On Brintellix 10 mg for a week. Had to stop taking it due to severe side effects including upset stomach, dizzyness, head rushes, increased mood swings and suicidal thoughts. Really threw me for a loop. Went back to Cymbalta which at least keeps me on an even keel with no side effects.

October 25, 2014 4:03 AM

Review by So far so good! (taken for less than 1 month):

I am a 46 yr old female with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I tried Zoloft because it helped 3 of my family members. Zoloft made me miserable! I ended up in the psych ward with severe anxiety, depression and nausea. My doctor took me off of Zoloft and put me on 10 mg Brintellix and I noticed a change pretty quickly. He also had me on 0.5 mg of Klonopin 2x a day. My nausea virtually disappeared and my anxiety/depression improved significantly. I had some lightheadedness and itchiness on and off but eventually that subsided. I've reduced my Klonopin to 1 pill a day. I'm still going to therapy and trying to exercise and read my Bible which helps, but the medication has been a Godsend so far. I highly recommend it. The only thing is it is expensive.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 2:40 PM