User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Brintellix Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Brintellix to treat Depression

"I love it I never felt this happy I will tell anybody to get on it I am calmer then ever and talkative but that's ok! I'm over the throwing up part thank God. But I love love love it!"

Fally May 20, 2015

"I've been severely depressed for 10 years inc 2 hospital stays. My psychiatrist is excellent and suggested brintillex After I've been on cymbalta for 2 years. Already so much less sleepy, more prone to complete tasks, not moping around all day and I have hope. Only one side effect is skin itching I can't seem to stop it! But other than that very happy. If you've given up on life, the future, any chance of recovery give it a try."

CatCharlotte May 16, 2015

"I was on Lexapro for about 2 years until itstopped working. Prior to that,over the last 25 years was always on an antidepressant. You name it, I've tried it. What the antidepressants did for me was just take away the severe irritability that I had, I was really at a low point when my doctor asked me to try Brintellix. I had no desire to do anything. I felt no joy. I had been taking 40 mg.of Lexapro a day. Doc said I didn't have to wean off it. He said I could just switch, starting the next day and I did. I Started on 5mg for the first 2 wks then increased to 10mg it's only been 4wks that I have been on it and my nausea has got better, I have a clarity in thinking that I didn't have before. I feel joy now. I am staying on it. Also, no sexual problems on it. Got Hope!"

AuntieAnn May 15, 2015

"I switched from Zoloft due to fogginess at higher doses. As others have mentioned, the nausea and dizziness were definitely difficult for me when I first started Brintellix. At the same time, I could tell this was working for my depression. I was so grateful for the antidepressant effects. I cut back from 10 mg. to 5 m.g. (half a pill) for a couple of weeks and the nausea began to subside. I went back up to 10 mg. and now nausea is only an occasional problem. My doc said to make sure to take it with food, which I do in the morning. I know others take it at night. The nausea was indeed difficult, but I am so glad I stuck with it. For me, it is a very effective antidepressant."

Moon in Virginia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"I have tried many anti-depressents over the years and couldn't handle any of them as I would feel so drugged and sleepy on them I can't do anything but this time my doctor told me about Brintellix, and he gave me a lot of samples. He said it's a new antidepressant that doesn't have side effects. I was majorly depressed. I was crying everyday and even left my 30 year marriage. Well I was on 10mg and from the first week it was great. I was calmer, stopped crying, and I felt really happy. I love it! Only thing is this stuff is so great, it is $400 & with my insurance the co-pay was $70 & I even had a coupon! I can't afford that every month so I had to stop. Now I'm getting very depressed again after 1 week without. Can anyone help?"

mamashab (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"I took this for 2-3 weeks using samples. I was taking Vibrid before. I had the worst side effects from this drug than anything I have ever taken. I can remember sleeping late and feeling like I was coming out of a coma. It also made me feel like hell in general The oddest thing is that when I discontinued it, not only did I feel much better, but I have been taking this in conjunction with another drug -- Wellbrutin. After I got off the SSRI type stuff, the Wellbrutin became very effective. Enough that I did not add anything else Wellburtin has no negative sexual side effects. And I have lost a couple of pounds in 2 weeks. The side effects started when I began and ended when I stopped. No lags."

ifonly (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

"I went to the doctor about the itching and turns out I had a severe allergic reaction to Brintellix. 103 temp, so I have to wait a week to get the meds out of my system."

Amberrmb (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015

"I was on Prozac for 6 months and it was completely horrible for me. Nightmares every night and suicide was way more compelling. I stopped takin the medicine cold turkey. A week ago I got put on 5 mg samples of Brintellix. It has been working fine, but my whole body has been itching like crazy. It's so bad I have blood spots & bruises all on my body. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see what they can do about it."

Amberrmb1 May 3, 2015

"I have been on celexa for 10 years now. It was no longer working for me. My doctor cut my celexa dose in half and had me take 5mg of Brintellix. I read all the reviews on here and was hopeful. Many talked about nausea, so when I experienced nausea after 20mins of taking the meds, I thought it was normal. A half hour later, I was on my way to work with my kids, I threw up all over myself in the car. I highly recommend trying this drug for the first time on a weekend. Didn't work for me :("

carson77 May 1, 2015

"I was on Paxil when my doctor switched me to brintellix 10 mg. The Paxil had stopped helping with my anxiety and depression. I experienced the itchy skin for the first week but that subsided. I did experience some nausea but it went away also. I was on this medication for 4 months and at first it was GREAT! I felt so much better however I started noticing my energy level was decreasing and weight gain. At my last dr appt, I had gained 8 pds in 2 wks which was a total of almost 25 pounds in 4 months!! Needless to say, dr stopped medicine immediately and switched me again. So if you have a tendency to gain weight this medication may cause you to pick up pounds in a short amt of time!! Even tho weight gain is not listed as a main side effect."

ShannahDawn April 30, 2015

"Just started Brintellix 3 days ago. Been on effexor xr 225mgs for about 8 yrs & it stopped working. Doctor told me I should be done with effexor in about 10 days. Ugh. I dropped immediately to 150mg & starting to feel bad. I really want this to work but worried the Effexor withdrawal will get the best of me. Anyone else made this transition?"

Bottles10 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"Hurt my stomach initially but that has gone away. Feel better than ever."

school teacher 24 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"I am only on day two. I hesitated taking this drug because the last antidepressant I took (Cymbalta). was horrible. It took me a year to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms. To this day I will still have random "brain zaps". So back to the Brintellix, I was in the deepest and darkest depression of my life ever. I knew I had to do something so yesterday I took my first pill. Later that evening I was feeling much more calm and better. Today my deep depression is gone. I still have room for improvement. I would have never thought in a million years it would start to work that fast. I was very nauseous yesterday after I took it but I was nauseous before I took it. I just took pill #2. So far I am very impressed. I will report back in the future"

Patty-cakes (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"Started at 10mg for 2 weeks and took 20 for 4 weeks. Some nausea and itchy skin first 2 weeks then no noticeable side effects. However, I did experience elevated blood pressure and severe ringing in both ears but was also taking large dose of prednisone at that time for cluster headaches. Stopped taking everything and BP returned to normal. Before the BP spike, this stuff was working exactly as stated. Have tried to restart but vomit every time."

geeheettee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

"I just started this medication after using Lexapro for 18 months and it quit working. My doctors office had some samples of Brintellix and switched me over. Since I started this medication I have been so sleepy I can't get off the couch. My mood/depression is much better but I can't stand being tired all the time. I will give it another week, and if it does not get better I will call my doctor."

GenniericZach April 22, 2015

"I started on 5mg and after a couple weeks didn't notice any changes and went to 10mg. Been on the 10mg for over a month now. I feel more calm and "easy going" now. I use to have panic attacks and anxiety and those are gone. For those experiencing nausea: I also have a lot of nausea soon after taking the pill, but I now take it right as I go to bed and I am not bothered by it at all. Mild headaches sporadically. Great alternative to what is on the market right now, especially for those with anxiety that don't want the sedation."

early30something April 21, 2015

"I have taken 5mg for two months. Although I am feeling better I have developed a shrill ringing in my ears. Is anyone else experiencing this?"

SLB2 April 17, 2015

"This medicine saved me! I have always been a very happy and successful person. Depression and anxiety were not a part of my life until I hit 43. So I went to doctors and they had me try a few other meds, Zoloft, etc.. I didn't see any positive affect from them, just the the problems....lack of sleep, night sweats, sexual problems, etc. Things were getting worse. Then, my doctor put me on this medication and everything changed. First I started getting headaches for a few days. That went away by the end of the first week. I started on 5mg and then went to 10mg after a week. By the end of week two, my panic attacks were GONE! I still "think" about my problems, but don't obsesses about them. This is a GOOD medicine!"

midLifepanic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

"I've been on 10mg now for 4 weeks. I was on zoloft before that and was noticing tiredness and being unmotivated to do anything. While weaning off zoloft and being on brintellix i did notice more energy and better mood, but now I seem back to how I was before. My doctor just upped my dose to 20mg and said that should help. I did notice increased appetite and it feels like I am hungry ALL the time! I hope this stops soon."

HR777 April 16, 2015

"I like it, I am finally able to remember times before I started feeling depressed, also I am able to connect my emotions/feelings to those memories which is great. All other ssris/snris I have taken only clouded my head and sort of numbness was always present."

Mike3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

"Doctor switched me from Viibyrd to Brintellix. I was on 10 mg. of Brintellix, but went down to 5mg as my heart was beating way to fast and my new lenses in my glasses went way bad on me. My eyes still aren't back to normal, but will give this medicine another chance at a lower dose. I could not go to sleep with the 10 mg. my brain would not stop thinking, my legs hurt so bad and I just tossed and turned all night. Now on 5mg I go to bed when I get totally tired ( midnight ) and get up around 8AM.I lost two married daughters in 2011 ( four months a part ) to suicide. Brintellix gave me headaches to begin with and caused blurred vision, but both are subsiding now. Just give this drug a good try. It may be just the perfect drug for you."

Cyd Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2015

"I have been on Brintellix for 9 months, and it has helped my depression tremendously, although the nausea side effect has never gone away. I have had to take a 4mg Zofran one to two times a day. At my annual physical, my GP told me to get off the Zofran because there are no studies for long term use of Zofran, and there is a serotonin receptor inhibitor in it. I take 20mg of Brintellix. I decide to give it a try, and I can't stop vomiting. It is so bad that I took the Zofran to control it. Today I took a half tablet, and I feel like I'm going to vomit at any time. I took today's dose with food. Has anyone else had this?"

nkw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2015

"Was on 5mg for 2 weeks and now 10mg for a week. Not noticing anything really. No side effects which is great, but not feeling like I was hoping either, still lack of motivation for everything. I know I need to give it more time, will continue..."

CaliGirl100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

"I've been taking a Drug called Brintellix for a few days now. I take one pill in mornings with breakfast and for the first time in years I have became active, creative, happy and I have the will to get up and be motivated. I felt like my old self but younger. I haven't been on the med long but so far I'm amazed. I can't tolerate other antidepressants and they don't work for me. So right now I'm living life and not just watching life pass by. I recommended talking to your Dr about Brintellix if you're living like I was."

Stacy wellington April 7, 2015

"I went off Viibyrd & started Brintellix 10mg. I was having severe headaches & my brain was foggy so I asked my doctor if I could drop down to 5mg. That seemed to be much better, but then I asked to take it at night and not in the AM......That was the trick, take at bedtime, I sleep well all night and have energy when I get up. I'm thankful I have good insurance, but it is very very expensive. I was just told it'll be this expensive for 7 -10 years so the company can recoup their money, then we can buy the generic....Just not until Brintellix gets their money back. That's so sad !!!! If you ask your doctor, he can give you a coupon saving you $30.00 a month for the first year which helps. I also had side effects, but their tapering finally."

Sir Jellybean April 3, 2015