Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Brintellix review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Brintellix to treat Depression

Review by Amberrmb1:

I was on Prozac for 6 months and it was completely horrible for me. Nightmares every night and suicide was way more compelling. I stopped takin the medicine cold turkey. A week ago I got put on 5 mg samples of Brintellix. It has been working fine, but my whole body has been itching like crazy. It's so bad I have blood spots & bruises all on my body. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to see what they can do about it.

May 3, 2015 5:57 PM

Review by carson77:

I have been on celexa for 10 years now. It was no longer working for me. My doctor cut my celexa dose in half and had me take 5mg of Brintellix. I read all the reviews on here and was hopeful. Many talked about nausea, so when I experienced nausea after 20mins of taking the meds, I thought it was normal. A half hour later, I was on my way to work with my kids, I threw up all over myself in the car. I highly recommend trying this drug for the first time on a weekend. Didn't work for me :(

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2015 6:00 PM

Review by ShannahDawn:

I was on Paxil when my doctor switched me to brintellix 10 mg. The Paxil had stopped helping with my anxiety and depression. I experienced the itchy skin for the first week but that subsided. I did experience some nausea but it went away also. I was on this medication for 4 months and at first it was GREAT! I felt so much better however I started noticing my energy level was decreasing and weight gain. At my last dr appt, I had gained 8 pds in 2 wks which was a total of almost 25 pounds in 4 months!! Needless to say, dr stopped medicine immediately and switched me again. So if you have a tendency to gain weight this medication may cause you to pick up pounds in a short amt of time!! Even tho weight gain is not listed as a main side effect.

April 30, 2015 9:32 PM

Review by Bottles10 (taken for less than 1 month):

Just started Brintellix 3 days ago. Been on effexor xr 225mgs for about 8 yrs & it stopped working. Doctor told me I should be done with effexor in about 10 days. Ugh. I dropped immediately to 150mg & starting to feel bad. I really want this to work but worried the Effexor withdrawal will get the best of me. Anyone else made this transition?

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2015 2:32 PM

Review by school teacher 24 (taken for less than 1 month):

Hurt my stomach initially but that has gone away. Feel better than ever.

April 25, 2015 6:43 PM

Review by Patty-cakes (taken for less than 1 month):

I am only on day two. I hesitated taking this drug because the last antidepressant I took (Cymbalta). was horrible. It took me a year to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms. To this day I will still have random "brain zaps". So back to the Brintellix, I was in the deepest and darkest depression of my life ever. I knew I had to do something so yesterday I took my first pill. Later that evening I was feeling much more calm and better. Today my deep depression is gone. I still have room for improvement. I would have never thought in a million years it would start to work that fast. I was very nauseous yesterday after I took it but I was nauseous before I took it. I just took pill #2. So far I am very impressed. I will report back in the future

April 24, 2015 4:24 PM

Review by geeheettee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started at 10mg for 2 weeks and took 20 for 4 weeks. Some nausea and itchy skin first 2 weeks then no noticeable side effects. However, I did experience elevated blood pressure and severe ringing in both ears but was also taking large dose of prednisone at that time for cluster headaches. Stopped taking everything and BP returned to normal. Before the BP spike, this stuff was working exactly as stated. Have tried to restart but vomit every time.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 10:56 AM

Review by GenniericZach:

I just started this medication after using Lexapro for 18 months and it quit working. My doctors office had some samples of Brintellix and switched me over. Since I started this medication I have been so sleepy I can't get off the couch. My mood/depression is much better but I can't stand being tired all the time. I will give it another week, and if it does not get better I will call my doctor.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 6:01 PM

Review by early30something:

I started on 5mg and after a couple weeks didn't notice any changes and went to 10mg. Been on the 10mg for over a month now. I feel more calm and "easy going" now. I use to have panic attacks and anxiety and those are gone. For those experiencing nausea: I also have a lot of nausea soon after taking the pill, but I now take it right as I go to bed and I am not bothered by it at all. Mild headaches sporadically. Great alternative to what is on the market right now, especially for those with anxiety that don't want the sedation.

April 21, 2015 6:24 PM

Review by SLB2:

I have taken 5mg for two months. Although I am feeling better I have developed a shrill ringing in my ears. Is anyone else experiencing this?

April 17, 2015 9:47 PM

Review by midLifepanic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine saved me! I have always been a very happy and successful person. Depression and anxiety were not a part of my life until I hit 43. So I went to doctors and they had me try a few other meds, Zoloft, etc.. I didn't see any positive affect from them, just the the problems....lack of sleep, night sweats, sexual problems, etc. Things were getting worse. Then, my doctor put me on this medication and everything changed. First I started getting headaches for a few days. That went away by the end of the first week. I started on 5mg and then went to 10mg after a week. By the end of week two, my panic attacks were GONE! I still "think" about my problems, but don't obsesses about them. This is a GOOD medicine!

April 16, 2015 5:41 PM

Review by HR777:

I've been on 10mg now for 4 weeks. I was on zoloft before that and was noticing tiredness and being unmotivated to do anything. While weaning off zoloft and being on brintellix i did notice more energy and better mood, but now I seem back to how I was before. My doctor just upped my dose to 20mg and said that should help. I did notice increased appetite and it feels like I am hungry ALL the time! I hope this stops soon.

April 16, 2015 11:17 AM

Review by Mike3 (taken for less than 1 month):

I like it, I am finally able to remember times before I started feeling depressed, also I am able to connect my emotions/feelings to those memories which is great. All other ssris/snris I have taken only clouded my head and sort of numbness was always present.

April 12, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by Cyd Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Doctor switched me from Viibyrd to Brintellix. I was on 10 mg. of Brintellix, but went down to 5mg as my heart was beating way to fast and my new lenses in my glasses went way bad on me. My eyes still aren't back to normal, but will give this medicine another chance at a lower dose. I could not go to sleep with the 10 mg. my brain would not stop thinking, my legs hurt so bad and I just tossed and turned all night. Now on 5mg I go to bed when I get totally tired ( midnight ) and get up around 8AM.I lost two married daughters in 2011 ( four months a part ) to suicide. Brintellix gave me headaches to begin with and caused blurred vision, but both are subsiding now. Just give this drug a good try. It may be just the perfect drug for you.

April 10, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by nkw (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Brintellix for 9 months, and it has helped my depression tremendously, although the nausea side effect has never gone away. I have had to take a 4mg Zofran one to two times a day. At my annual physical, my GP told me to get off the Zofran because there are no studies for long term use of Zofran, and there is a serotonin receptor inhibitor in it. I take 20mg of Brintellix. I decide to give it a try, and I can't stop vomiting. It is so bad that I took the Zofran to control it. Today I took a half tablet, and I feel like I'm going to vomit at any time. I took today's dose with food. Has anyone else had this?

April 9, 2015 5:03 PM

Review by CaliGirl100 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was on 5mg for 2 weeks and now 10mg for a week. Not noticing anything really. No side effects which is great, but not feeling like I was hoping either, still lack of motivation for everything. I know I need to give it more time, will continue...

April 7, 2015 12:16 PM

Review by Stacy wellington:

I've been taking a Drug called Brintellix for a few days now. I take one pill in mornings with breakfast and for the first time in years I have became active, creative, happy and I have the will to get up and be motivated. I felt like my old self but younger. I haven't been on the med long but so far I'm amazed. I can't tolerate other antidepressants and they don't work for me. So right now I'm living life and not just watching life pass by. I recommended talking to your Dr about Brintellix if you're living like I was.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 3:52 AM

Review by Sir Jellybean:

I went off Viibyrd & started Brintellix 10mg. I was having severe headaches & my brain was foggy so I asked my doctor if I could drop down to 5mg. That seemed to be much better, but then I asked to take it at night and not in the AM......That was the trick, take at bedtime, I sleep well all night and have energy when I get up. I'm thankful I have good insurance, but it is very very expensive. I was just told it'll be this expensive for 7 -10 years so the company can recoup their money, then we can buy the generic....Just not until Brintellix gets their money back. That's so sad !!!! If you ask your doctor, he can give you a coupon saving you $30.00 a month for the first year which helps. I also had side effects, but their tapering finally.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2015 10:57 AM

Review by deviation24 (taken for less than 1 month):

I only took this medication for a few days, my heart started hurting...I ended up in emergency room my blood pressure had sky rocket and my heart rate was throught the roof. Laying down my heart rate is steady but the moment I stand it jumps to over 150bpm...this never happened until I took this medication. I have been on bed rest for over a week now and so far it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

April 3, 2015 9:47 AM

Review by Gibs:

At 52 years old I have always experienced depression. I am now weaning off of Effexor along with 10 mg of Brintellix. I had a bit of itching and gas but no other side effects. I am really excited to see where this medicine takes me but have only been on it for 10 days. So far, loving it and finally feel like me.

April 1, 2015 8:21 AM

Review by Bradford0916:

Have found this med effective. Have been taking 20mg maintenance dosage for 2 months. Nausea continues daily (morning is when take my dose) for a couple of hours - but the "volume" of the world around me is way down - as is the irrational rage/anger/frustration that follows when not on medication. Sleeping through the nights. As effective as Cymbalta, Zoloft and others I've taken - I hope this one continues to work - the others stopped after a while.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2015 7:57 AM

Review by pancake22:

I've been taking 10mg dose for about seven months. What I noticed initially is that my sense of smell and hearing seemed sharper (weird). Also, no longer entertaining thoughts of suicide. I took Zoloft for almost two years about ten years ago and I like Brintellix better. I did have nausea and constipation at first. Now, I still have some weepy times and times when I just feel like giving up (I am a widow of three years), but I also have times of joy and happiness. Mostly, I feel content. I have a sense of humor again. Sometimes I forget to take the medicine for two to three days and I feel my mood deteriorating, but I don't feel the weird physical effects that I had if I forgot even one dose of the Zoloft.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 7:28 PM

Review by apathynow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Update: Now 2 months in, and feeling better than I have in 10 yrs. I am now on 20mg. I feel really calm, like I can breathe again. On 10mg it took less effort to hold off the anxiety/panic attacks. At 20mg I don't have the background anxiety at all, and no panic attacks (vs one every 2-3 days). I no longer have insomnia. I'm optimistic and becoming more actively interested in life. I smile a lot more and socialize. No jitters or side effects. No mania or agitation. Thinking clearer, feeling great, thinking about working in the future, and reconsidering my decision to not have children due to mental health issues.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 1:23 PM

Review by CaliGirl100:

So far it's been 8 days taking 5mg, I'm supposed to go up to 10mg next week. It takes me longer to get to sleep but once I fall asleep, I stay asleep. No other side effects at all, however I have these break through moments where I feel happiness for like 5 seconds, like a positive thought instead of a negative thought which is usually the norm. I think my brain is trying to adjust so I'm not sure what the full effects will be but it's giving me some hope it'll work.

March 24, 2015 4:55 PM

Review by 46f (taken for less than 1 month):

Taking 10mg for almost a month. Feeling good. Was on Prozac 60mg after 10+ years. I do not see much mention of sexual side effects mentioned. But I notice what seems to be on this med. Did not have any problem on the Prozac.

March 23, 2015 9:51 PM