User Reviews for Brintellix

Learn more about Brintellix.

Brintellix Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Brintellix to treat Depression

"I've suffered with depression type symptoms most of my life. I mainly suffer from Somatization disorder. I've tried many different antidepressants over the past 20 years & they usually only made me more depressed. I started 10 mg Brintellix May of 2014. I felt AMAZING! Then, it wore off & was bumped to 20mg. This worked fine. One side effect that we can't figure out is that I'm always SO HOT! Not sweating, Just always crazy hot! I weaned off the Brintellix over two months, until I was taking just a small corner of the thinner side then stopped. That was 3 weeks ago. Since then, I had TERRIBLE withdrawals & couldnt stand it. Head vibrating is the worst. Went back on Brintellix last night. I feel discouraged. But it worked for depression...."

CandyKisses4 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

"I have chronic headaches from a head injury and I am Bi-polar. I have a wonderful psych doc and a brilliant neurologist. They have always worked in conjunction with one another. I let them know that this was the last drug I would be trying as I feel I have done every drug and combination possible. As most of the reviews have stated, the nausea is significant and the itching intermittently. I find it similar to Cymbalta without the profuse sweating. It really helps with anxiety and doesn't seem to have sexual side affects (happy hubby). Because of the nausea and tummy trouble, I don't eat much and when I do it is because I am craving something. For me, the stomach ache is worth it as it is keeping me stable and productive."

brokennoggin July 24, 2015

"I have had clinical depression since I was a young child. I am now almost 24 and I don't think I've ever been happy, for more than a few weeks at a time, in my entire life. I have been on Zoloft and Wellbutrin in the past that did not help at all. I have been on Brintellix for a little over 6 months now and it has changed my life. I'm a better wife, mother and a significantly better college student. For the first time in my life I feel alive. There are no longitudinal studies on this new drug which makes me nervous. Side effects were severe for about 3 weeks and my insurance doesn't cover this very expensive drug(why I rated 9/10). Ultimately, Brintellix changed my life. I didn't think I would ever be happy."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2015

"I've tried others years ago and could never tolerate them. I've been battling some health issues for awhile which has caused anxiety and recently depression. I am one of those people who are sensitive to everything I take so was nervous about trying this. I've only been on it for 5 days at 5mg in the morning. Mild nausea that goes away. I'm hoping for some energy as fatigue is a big issue for me. I think I'm feeling a bit less down but still to early to say I guess. I'll keep updating. Good luck everyone"

Craftyfable July 8, 2015

"I was on venlor for 6 months and couldn't take the nausea and dizziness. .. it messed with my blood sugar and cholesterol. I changed ti Brintellix, 6 months now, and I'm feeling awesome. Life is back to normal and Im much better now. No side effects."

JohnnyBAlive (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2015

"Horrible side effects. Was on for 1 month but was nauseated and vomited every day for that month. I give it a two only because it didn't make me suicidal, as some other Rx's have (cough-Cymbalta) Now on Viibryd and doing much better (and not vomiting!) :)"

SnowWhyte (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2015

"I switched from Zoloft and Seroquel to Brintellix 10mg. At first i noticed I had more enegry. I also have itchiness and some upset stomach but that goes away. those of you without insurance or with it and it wont pay enough ask your dr about patient assistance forms. Waiting to see how it helps since I lost my job."

twiggy1256 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I have tried lexapro, Zoloft, calexa, and brintellix. My body does not tolerate meds well. Lexapro was so intense that I took it for only two days and suffered almost every possible side effect. Zoloft caused nausea, weight loss, & I was still having panic attacks. Calexa was good, but I had increased migraines. Now I am trying brintellix, but my anxiety is back. I am crying without a direct reason. I am extremely tired. I also have an upset stomach. I suppose I will have to decide which side effects I can tolerate and just "live" with the nuisance. At this point, I don't want to cry every day. I want to have energy and enjoy life again."

4th med June 23, 2015

"In the last 6 years I've been on Effexor and Pristiq (synthetic Effexor and I had horrible withdrawal from them), Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Mirtazapine. None seemed to work for long and most didn't seem to help at all and I've wondered if I am resistant to the meds. In addition, my anxiety has been awful. Finding an anti-anxiety drug has been tricky because I'm in recovery (used to self-medicate my depression and anxiety) and I need to be extra careful about taking certain medications since I have the tendency to abuse them. It's too early to tell if Brintellix will work for me but the genetic testing shows it's a good match. The nausea is bad, but I'm used to taking meds on an empty stomach so will start taking it with food."

ElliEtte (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

"Day 9 of Trintallex. Have seen glimpses of normality but have still been highly unstable and dysfunctional. Side effects include: little bit itchy skin, headache, ringing in the ears, agitation/hyperactive at times. I know I'm early in the process.... This is extremely difficult. I'm considering getting the DNA testing to find a more suitable med if I don't see harsh improvements in the next couple of weeks."

sam696969 June 18, 2015

"I've been battling MDD for about ten years now and I've been on and off many different medications. My biggest complaint with most of them was the fatigue. I'm only 24, but while I was on this medication it was hard for me to keep up with my friends that were similar ages. I was always tired, always taking naps and still going to bed early. With Brintellix, the fatigue is GONE! It's easier for me to wake up, I can do more during the day without wanting to take a nap and having more energy has given me the opportunity to start exercising again. I do have a bit of stomach upset while taking it, but it is mild and, frankly, a smile price to pay when considering all the good Brintellix does for me."

Audixgirl June 10, 2015

"I been on brintellix for a month now it has helped me a whole lot with panic attacks .. No side effects at all .. I'm taking 10mg a day . Started with 5mg for two weeks then went up to 10mg .. I feel optimistic about the future now I have my life back . I went six months without driving because I was scared of a panic attacks but with this medication I am back driving I suffer from phobia of driving over bridges .."

Bronzebombshell June 10, 2015

"I am an R.N. and diagnosed 20 plus years ago with clinical depression, I have also been on just about every antidepressant. A week ago I requested help from my physician due to the increasing depression and lack of help from Cymbalta he prescribed Brintellix. I switched immediately and some of the symptoms are withdrawal from the Cymbalta. The " reverberations" in my head are distinctly withdrawal symptoms. My headaches appear to be from decreased sodium which is a Brintellix side effect and for me are eliminated by drinking Gatorade which is high in sodium. The nausea is a toss up and eased with ginger ale and carbs. The itching responds to 1 Benadryl. 4 weeks is the norm for side effects to subside. Identical to original Prozac."

Kafse June 7, 2015

"Week 3 on brintellix. I feel so much better than I have felt in years. I'm 31, and have been on 10 or so different anti depressants in the past. Zero side effects. Other anti's seemed to cause huge anxiety. Now with britillex, I can stop taking anti anxiety meds. It's almost as if my brain were a house and brintillex has opened a door to another room I never knew existed."

austryralian (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"I just came off 112.5mg/day of Effexor which was absolutely HORRIBLE. My doctor has put me on 10mg of Brintellix. I have immediately begun feeling better mentally and emotionally for the first time in months, even while dealing with these withdrawal symptoms. I didn't have high hopes given my past experiences with antidepressants and honestly was about ready to give up on medication all together. I am experiencing some nausea which could be from withdrawing, the Brintellix, or most likely both. Seriously, for how bad I am feeling physically from the Effexor I am absolutely amazed that I can feel this positive mentally. I'll update when the physical symptoms subside."

Chi1313 June 4, 2015

"I have been on several anxiety/depression medications over the last 30 years and always had some kind of side effect. I would either get an allergic reaction or it would make my anxiety worse. Finally tried Brintellix 10 mg. two months ago, and I feel great, I have had no side effects what so ever. I just feel normal. I rarely take Xanax now and can go to sleep and usually sleep thru the night. I am still taking free samples from my doctor as my Insurance company will not cover. I have sent in an appeal for them to reconsider..my fingers are crossed"

Olee (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015

"After 3 weeks on Brintellix I have more energy but still depressed!!"

MARK MORDECHAI KESSLER May 28, 2015

"My experience with Brintellix has been terrible. This is the worse anti-depressant I have ever taken. Bad if you have insomnia. Bad if you have problems with rumination. Bad if you have anxiety. Enough said."

naid (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

"I love it I never felt this happy I will tell anybody to get on it I am calmer then ever and talkative but that's ok! I'm over the throwing up part thank God. But I love love love it!"

Fally May 20, 2015

"I've been severely depressed for 10 years inc 2 hospital stays. My psychiatrist is excellent and suggested brintillex After I've been on cymbalta for 2 years. Already so much less sleepy, more prone to complete tasks, not moping around all day and I have hope. Only one side effect is skin itching I can't seem to stop it! But other than that very happy. If you've given up on life, the future, any chance of recovery give it a try."

CatCharlotte May 16, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Lexapro for about 2 years until itstopped working. Prior to that,over the last 25 years was always on an antidepressant. You name it, I've tried it. What the antidepressants did for me was just take away the severe irritability that I had, I was really at a low point when my doctor asked me to try Brintellix. I had no desire to do anything. I felt no joy. I had been taking 40 mg.of Lexapro a day. Doc said I didn't have to wean off it. He said I could just switch, starting the next day and I did. I Started on 5mg for the first 2 wks then increased to 10mg it's only been 4wks that I have been on it and my nausea has got better, I have a clarity in thinking that I didn't have before. I feel joy now. I am staying on it. Also, no sexual problems on it. Got Hope!"

AuntieAnn May 15, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I switched from Zoloft due to fogginess at higher doses. As others have mentioned, the nausea and dizziness were definitely difficult for me when I first started Brintellix. At the same time, I could tell this was working for my depression. I was so grateful for the antidepressant effects. I cut back from 10 mg. to 5 m.g. (half a pill) for a couple of weeks and the nausea began to subside. I went back up to 10 mg. and now nausea is only an occasional problem. My doc said to make sure to take it with food, which I do in the morning. I know others take it at night. The nausea was indeed difficult, but I am so glad I stuck with it. For me, it is a very effective antidepressant."

Moon in Virginia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"I have tried many anti-depressents over the years and couldn't handle any of them as I would feel so drugged and sleepy on them I can't do anything but this time my doctor told me about Brintellix, and he gave me a lot of samples. He said it's a new antidepressant that doesn't have side effects. I was majorly depressed. I was crying everyday and even left my 30 year marriage. Well I was on 10mg and from the first week it was great. I was calmer, stopped crying, and I felt really happy. I love it! Only thing is this stuff is so great, it is $400 & with my insurance the co-pay was $70 & I even had a coupon! I can't afford that every month so I had to stop. Now I'm getting very depressed again after 1 week without. Can anyone help?"

mamashab (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2015

"I took this for 2-3 weeks using samples. I was taking Vibrid before. I had the worst side effects from this drug than anything I have ever taken. I can remember sleeping late and feeling like I was coming out of a coma. It also made me feel like hell in general The oddest thing is that when I discontinued it, not only did I feel much better, but I have been taking this in conjunction with another drug -- Wellbrutin. After I got off the SSRI type stuff, the Wellbrutin became very effective. Enough that I did not add anything else Wellburtin has no negative sexual side effects. And I have lost a couple of pounds in 2 weeks. The side effects started when I began and ended when I stopped. No lags."

ifonly (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

"I went to the doctor about the itching and turns out I had a severe allergic reaction to Brintellix. 103 temp, so I have to wait a week to get the meds out of my system."

Amberrmb (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2015