User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 7:01 AM
Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2014 7:45 AM
Review by MzT: User Rating:

My body responded very negatively to this medicine and I had to be pulled off of it. I had a lot of side effects with no relief for my generalized anxiety disorder it was prescribed for. Side effects: tremors, blurred vision, ringing in ears, constipation, irregular period, insomnia, nightmares, light headedness, coldness in extremities, suicidal feelings, murderous feelings, cloudy head, weight gain, nausea, metallic tasting dry mouth.

January 25, 2014 12:22 PM
Review by Indyria (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I've been on Effexor XR going onto 3 years. I started at 37.5mg and am now on 150mg. I find that the body builds a tolerance to it and the dose needs to be increased. It does help my social anxiety almost completely but I still get moments of general anxiety, not anything like they used to be premedication. The only side effect I get is hot flashes. Also when you come down with a cold or flu, there's really nothing you can take except Tylenol for fever and pain due to drug interactions

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 11, 2013 2:49 PM
Review by OK2BME: User Rating:

I was started on 75 mg Effexor and then increased to 150 mg. I felt much better overall. Anxiety was about gone, I could think through my thoughts. However, I was not happy with the sexual dysfunction I experienced on the 150 mg dose. My doctor lowered my dose back to 75 mg and the sexual dysfunction resolved and my generalized anxiety disorder is within tolerable limits. I recently added Vitamin D and B12 to my daily regimen with my Effexor 75 mg ER dose and noticed a huge lifting of the mental fog that I had known for so long. This combination has been keeping my thoughts from racing, my hope from tanking and my perspective in a good and positive place. It works for me.

October 4, 2013 9:17 PM
Review by saddled: User Rating:

Effexor XR changed my life. With Effexor, the anxiety is gone and I am able to stay calm in any situation and sleep well every night. My doctor has told me I can NEVER get off this medication because it changes something in the brain having to do with serotonin. No hope of functioning without this in my system. Well, I can live with that. I've got my life back.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 17, 2013 1:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Effexor XR for about 3 weeks now for depression and generalized anxiety disorder. For the first three days I felt a little dizzy but continued with the medication and the dizziness went away once my body got used to it. I get a dry mouth and have lost interest in sex and cannot reach orgasm. I do feel a lot more focused at work and can think more clearly. I do find if I don't take the medication right on time around 9am every morning I get a headache and agitated so I try to take it the same time everyday. Despite the dry mouth and loss of sex drive I will continue with it for another month or two and see what happens when I see my doc again.

October 20, 2012 5:42 AM
Review by Gemlie: User Rating:

Effexor gave me my life back. I was so with anxiety for months to the point I would not come out of my room all I was doing was crying I thought I was having a break down. I'm taking 75mg at night at first I felt sick and dizzy but after about 4 weeks I started to feel better. I've been taking them now for 8 weeks and I feel back to normal. I'm back in work full time I still get the odd bad day but that's to be expected. Don't know what I would have done without this medicine. Please be patient with this medication I know it's hard but after 4-6 weeks you will feel better. Good luck with it all I know it's really hard but you will get better.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 22, 2012 3:40 PM
Review by darthzilla: User Rating:

In one sense it handled many of my symptoms, but I became a completely different person. I was no longer myself at all. I made many, many horrible decisions affecting my family friends, business, etc. I adopted a whole new set of values - i just wasn't myself anymore. When I finally decided to go off it I spent 9 months of withdrawal symptoms, splitting capsules every day and gradually reducing the amount of grains.

November 3, 2011 12:05 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

It really does work. Made me feel mentally sharp again. I was previously always anxious but Effexor completely stopped my anxiety. Unfortunately for me it came with severe sexual side effects. Loss of sex drive, unable to climax, impotence. Male - Taking 75mg daily. Off to try Wellbutrin instead.

August 8, 2011 3:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've battled with anxiety for 10 plus years, was on medication 6 years ago for it then stopped. I was having intense TMJ because I was constantly clenching my jaw as a coping mechanism for my anxiety. I finally decided to go on medication. My Doctor first put me on Celexa. I felt actually MORE anxious. Though it helped with my negative thoughts. I switched to Effexor. I started at 37.5 mg. I definitely feel a positive difference and my jaw clenching has completely stopped. Now I am up to 75 mg. I just feel very blah. Kind of numb, kind of "dissociative" like I'm not present in my own body. I feel better, but I want to FEEL. I am not sure if I should up my dosage and then I'll feel "normal" or ween myself off.

May 7, 2011 4:58 PM
Review by Kawaski Girl:

Well I've been on it for 2 days and I noticed the difference the first day. I'm also taking a 1/2 an Adderall for ADHD. The only side effect I have noticed is I yawn a lot. I feel so much better in general. I didn't expect it to work so fast however I feel so much freaking better. I've apparently suffered from GAD my whole life and I'm currently 37. Will it work for everyone who knows but for me, it's been my knight in shining armor as far as feeling normal.

March 9, 2011 5:30 PM
Review by deemison: User Rating:

I have been on it for about four years, during which my dosage has increased substantially. I cant help but think that tolerance forms with it, that the longer I'm on it, the less effective its become.

April 25, 2010 6:03 PM
Review by taylz: User Rating:

Was in College when I treated. At high doses (approximately 225mg), I was lethargic, cloudy headed and angry. Drug caused SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. It aggravated stress levels. But for my mom, this medication has given her life back to her, "curing" depression, lowering anxiety, and inspiring creativity.

May 4, 2009 2:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've used Paxil to treat what was panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. SSRI's in general are a miracle and gave me my life back. But, neither Paxil nor Lexapro treated the depression that replaced my anxiety. I used to sleep a lot and felt overwhelmed. With Effexor XR, my self-esteem has returned. I'm back in control, accomplishing things, and have a very positive outlook for my future. No side effects.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 2, 2008 11:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I had developed severe anxiety and depression in my late teens/ early 20's and like many before me I have tried wellbutrin, paxil, lexapro etc. This is the only medicine that has shown significant improvement on both my depression and anxiety. I can be myself again. Don't be ashamed to talk to your doctor or family member. Get help as soon as possible.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 9, 2008 10:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This drug has been a miracle for me. I've never been a nervous or a high strung kind of person until the last year. I thought I was going crazy and was afraid to tell anyone. I talked to my doctor, and he prescribed the Effexor XR. Started at 75 mg, and then went to to 150 mg. I feel normal again now.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 13, 2008 4:36 PM