User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 207 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Effexor XR

Review by Effexor XR user (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Mild side effects. Takes a while to wear off in the morning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 10:30 PM

Review by 0521j0929d:

For Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.

January 26, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by reemus:

For Depression: I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Kpm65:

For Vulvodynia: Probably saved my life at the time, but I developed a hypnotic-like falling-asleep-at-the-wheel problem on drives of more than 30 minutes in length; so regretfully had to stop using it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!

December 23, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

For Depression: Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Suecmt:

For Depression: I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by perfectbabylyahoo.com (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Best medicine I have ever taken but tablets work best on me

September 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Hollywood chica:

For Major Depressive Disorder: The first week of the medication I felt myself thinking better, no excessive worries, no excessive thoughts of sadness and no pain. My mind was clear, my thoughts and emotions was where they need to be. I felt focused and alert. The only problem was I suffer from high blood pressure, which became out of control. Effexor even help with my night sweats. I have been depressed for over two years so I really struggled to keep things in order. If I could have continued with the medication I would have stayed on it. It worked for me in a lot of different ways.

September 21, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by triiv (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Though I could only check the MDD box, I also suffered from anxiety attacks and social anxiety. There were also several other problems that effexor XR seemed to control or help control. Depression is painful emotionally, mentally and physically, without the some kind of relief I would have been institutionalized. For maximum effectiveness, counseling by a person trained in all aspects of the disorder is the only one I found to help bring me back to a realistic understanding of how to heal. Interestingly, I found several psychiatrists that attempted counseling and were totally inept in their efforts.

September 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Blondegirl311:

For Anxiety: Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Mitra_:

For Anxiety: Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Fuckhead:

For Depression: Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by adam1994:

For Anxiety: I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

For Anxiety: Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by zmb (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm taking this and Remeron for major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Nothing else has worked. I was on Wellbutrin for 2 years but it quit doing anything and after 4 medicine changes my doctor put me on this. Within a week I was not sulking around, I had energy to get off the couch and shower, and actually found I could laugh again! My husband has noticed the difference in my mood as well. I am having horrible sweats at night, and a little blurry vision along with nightmares/weird dreams. But I'm hoping that might fade some as I take it longer. I'm willing to deal with the side effects at this point as I'm getting myself and my life back.

June 29, 2014 8:22 PM