Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 218 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Effexor XR

Review by Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years.

April 25, 2015 2:27 AM

Review by 149021Samantha:

For Major Depressive Disorder: It works wonderfully. I've tried many antidepressants and they all left me feeling, not sad. But I still felt lethargic and hopeless. Effexor gives me motivation and drive. Helps me get out of bed in the morning and off the couch during the day. And it started working within the first week. The ONLY drawback I've found is it really decreases my libido and you CANNOT miss a dose. It will really ruin your day.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 10:41 PM

Review by t. beaver:

For Panic Disorder: Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 6:39 PM

Review by kevin1234:

For Anxiety: You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 10:26 PM

Review by pandabear83:

For Depression: I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better..

April 9, 2015 5:42 PM

Review by ..... (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects.

March 17, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Calamity017:

For Anxiety: I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful

March 17, 2015 9:58 AM

Review by Mikkiluv:

For Depression: I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day.

March 16, 2015 5:09 PM

Review by Effexor XR user (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Mild side effects. Takes a while to wear off in the morning.

February 16, 2015 10:30 PM

For Anxiety: This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR.

February 10, 2015 3:12 PM

Review by LindaLexus:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My 1st anxiety attack was in 2000 I didn't know what was going on then I saw my doctor and said I had an anxiety attack he placed me on Effexor XR 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 75 mg after that. I was on it for 14 years then I got off all medication only took Xanax 1 mg. when needed. I lost my job about 5 mo. ago & now having severe anxiety attacks even when I wake up!! I get sweaty, chills, diarrhea, and rapid hear beat. I went to see my doctor he put me back on Effexor 37.5 mg & I'm on day 4 but still having attacks. I hope this gets into my system & soon because it helped me before and I know it will again. No one knows why I get them but I've tried hypnosis, etc . & nothing helps they keep on coming. Plus going to menopause doesn't help

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 4:38 PM

Review by 0521j0929d:

For Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by reemus:

For Depression: I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by Unbroken0007:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was started at a low 75 mg. This was a very dark time emotionally for me because I felt like I was taking candy, not medicine. As we slowly increased the dose, the heaviness of depression began to lift, but I also became VERY sleepy. Other early side effects was dizziness, insomnia, minor stupor, vivid dreams, stomach cramps, and worsened anxiety. All these are gone except anxiety. We added a sleep aid and Buspar to take as needed for anxiety and insomnia. But I had to up the venlafaxine XR to my doctors max outpatient dose of 225 mg to get rid of the unmanageable depression. This dose combined with CBT (therapy) has greatly increased the quality of my life. But NEVER FORGET A PILL! Withdrawal is awful! Sobbing, "shocks", lethargy.

January 14, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia

January 14, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Kpm65:

For Vulvodynia: Probably saved my life at the time, but I developed a hypnotic-like falling-asleep-at-the-wheel problem on drives of more than 30 minutes in length; so regretfully had to stop using it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

December 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

For Depression: Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Suecmt:

For Depression: I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by perfectbabylyahoo.com (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Best medicine I have ever taken but tablets work best on me

September 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Hollywood chica:

For Major Depressive Disorder: The first week of the medication I felt myself thinking better, no excessive worries, no excessive thoughts of sadness and no pain. My mind was clear, my thoughts and emotions was where they need to be. I felt focused and alert. The only problem was I suffer from high blood pressure, which became out of control. Effexor even help with my night sweats. I have been depressed for over two years so I really struggled to keep things in order. If I could have continued with the medication I would have stayed on it. It worked for me in a lot of different ways.

September 21, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by triiv (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Though I could only check the MDD box, I also suffered from anxiety attacks and social anxiety. There were also several other problems that effexor XR seemed to control or help control. Depression is painful emotionally, mentally and physically, without the some kind of relief I would have been institutionalized. For maximum effectiveness, counseling by a person trained in all aspects of the disorder is the only one I found to help bring me back to a realistic understanding of how to heal. Interestingly, I found several psychiatrists that attempted counseling and were totally inept in their efforts.

September 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM