User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 11 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 27 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 332 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "I have been on effexor xr for 11 years now and it works wonderfully for me. The only side effect was dry mouth and constipation. It.s not for every patient. Always contact your doctor if your symptoms worsen."

depression/free May 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Effexor for 13 months now. Initially I was prescribed 75 mg while hospitalized at an inpatient psychiatric facility but that was increased to 150 mg by the time I was discharged. Never in my life have I felt this way - normal!! My crying spells, anhedonia, suicidal ideations, psychosis... it's all gone gone gone! This medication has saved my life. I am so happy to take my meds every morning."

NurseSlacky (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been taking venlafaxine 150mg xr for nearly 3 years along with an antipsychotic to treat bipolar 2. Having tried all kinds of anti depressants this is the one that's worked for me. The down side is the withdrawal symptoms should you miss a dose but these go away as soon as you take it again. Dizzy spells/feeling drunk is the only way I can describe them. It has a short half life of 7 hrs which indicates that they have these symptoms. I've had no side effects & would recommend venlafaxine over other antidepressants inc citelopram & mirtazipine."

Pollyp82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I've been on this for 9 yrs, i take 150mg 3 times a day, i've missed sometimes up to 2 doses with no side effects. i would be dead today if it weren't for this pill, that's the god's honest truth. Only side effect I can think of is I've gained a few pounds. Love Love this medication"

BrittMiller (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2016

For Depression "I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Diagnosis: a Chronic Clinical Depressive with a 40 year history who does not react to meds in a typical manner. After 6 months of juggling meds weekly at the clinic, finally got relief with a daily dose of 150 mg Effexor XR. Have not had Any episode of Depression since 2003. The side effects are more than tolerable as a tradeoff to be the happiest people on this planet instead of in perpetual hell."

iamerletheperle (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2016

For Postpartum Depression "after the birth of my second child and moving states away due to husbands job change I had HORRIBLE anxiety, what I thought was ONLY anxiety. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks on end. Finally 6 months later my husband and I agreed that I needed to seek help, being on medication was not something that I wanted, but something that I may need. At my first appointment I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I was started in 37.5mg of Effexor and .5mg Klonopin! I'll admit! The first week ish, was hell, as it should be... For anyone to take a new medication to treat this type of issue its going to be tough. After those couple weeks I noticed a good change. Then it leveled out and I now take 75mg, this medication Is working so well!"

2ndTimeMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

For Depression "Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Anxiety "Hi, my name is Jess. I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for over 20 years now. My anxiety was so bad I had to be homeschooled. I've taken Prozac, paxil and neither worked and had bad mood swings on paxil. My doctor suggested something newer, it was effexor. He said he has had good results with it. So I tried it, heck I would of tried anything to make my anxiety go away. I was on effexor (75mg) for 10 years and it worked for me. No side effects except being tired at first. No more anxiety/panic attacks or depression but maybe a very few short episodes. I was happy and enjoying things I was held back from for so many years. Effexor changed my life, literally. If I did miss a dose I felt tired, depressed and the "zaps.""

anxiety loves me May 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I was having bad anxiety for a couple of months. I was unable to sleep, and was pacing the floors a lot. I got on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg), and my anxiety disappeared within a week. I did not have many side affects. I got a little sweaty the first week, and felt a little foggy. That went away quickly."

JCT62 May 7, 2016

For Anxiety "So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

For Panic Disorder "GP recommended effexor when 7 months ago when I was going through some extremely stressful life events. The seroxat I was on for GAD for the previous 17 years was no longer effective & now I had become depressed. Effexor 37.5mg worked well at first, was upped to 70mg. Benefits: Immediately made me feel less depressed (hooray - no more tears), No panic attacks at all, Able to sleep all night. Costs: Felt like a zombie, Lost my spark, Didn't feel present when talking to people (the lights were on but no-one was in), Not bothered about anything including if I upset someone; More aggressive verbally (usually very placid person), Withdrawn (usually very social person). Withdrawal if missed dose was torture. Currently tapering off it."

Nellyfant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Alittle over a year ago I started suffering from the worst depression I have ever had before this I had minor depression but more anxiety social anxiety ect. During this bad depression I felt like I would never get better and lost all hope stoped working and felt like I would never be the same person as I was. I was only 27 at that time with two daughters I would never commit suicide to to my belief But I felt like I couldnt go on as soon as I woke up from sleeping maybe few hours my mind was running and I hated every minute of being alive feeling like this. I was prescribed effexor and went back to work with in a week I stared feeling like this might work fast forward a year I got promotion at my job and no anxiety or depression now."

Cristian87 April 28, 2016

For Depression "It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

For Depression "Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "You know, I wasn't sure what to rate this. In terms of effectiveness, definitely very much so. But in terms of the quality of life after taking this for a year and a half, I'm not sure it's worth it. It acted as a number for me. I don't remember many months of my life while taking this pill. The memory loss scares me sometimes. But I like to think I was just coasting, softly through time. Maybe that's what I needed from this pill during that time of my life, however. Anyway - I don't take this anymore. I have been switched to Lithium, which has been my slow but sure savior. Overall, Effexor XR is a strong medication for strong emotions, but you lose a part of who you are along with it."

BrightSoul (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Anxiety "In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Depression "I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I tried Effexor XR after most of the SSRIs I recently tried gave me diarrhea for more than just the initial adjustment period. I tend to be more on the anxious side of life and the SSRIs seemed to treat that better than Effexor, but I cant be in the bathroom all day. 75mg/day works well for me currently. I was on 150mg for a year which worked well, but then suddenly my anxiety and obsessive thinking was coming back.The doc upped dose to 225 and I got way worse, so we lowered it and boom. way better. "less is more" worked for me this time. Effexor XR also has less side effects for me regarding fatigue, hunger, weight gain and sexual side effects. as a woman this is a huge perk. mental health- the struggle is real! Good luck!"

allison_G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

For Depression "I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took this for six months, I felt great, then my doctor took me off it because he said I shouldn't take it for too long, this was 4 years ago, now for the past year my anxiety is horrible. I wish he hasn't taken me off out and now I'm going to talk to my new doctor about it."

Al86 April 9, 2016

For Anxiety "My experience was a waking nightmare... I was started on a low dose to treat anxiety.. It didn't help at all. My DR kept slowly increasing my dose while I suffered from extreme anxiety with no relief.. I had weight gain, night sweats, oddly long menstrual cycles, cramps, the urge to drink alcohol. I went to another Dr that said the dose needed to be at least 225 to treat anxiety I was on 125 so he increased dosage. This made the side effects much worse and the weight gain. I didn't care about anything, I wasn't myself. I decided after 20 lb gain to stop and got tapered off. I became extremely ill it was like having the flu everyday for weeks. I've been completely off a few weeks now I have headaches still and extreme anger like rage."

Should be illegal (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

For Anxiety "I don't normally review anything but this time I thought I thought I should especially considering most people only tell you the negative experiences of a drug. I really didn't know my anxiety was bad until now. I know I had bad "nerves" is what I call it and I'm normally on edge and get paranoid about almost everything especially my relationships. I got so used to being anxious that it became normal to the point that I forgot what the other side felt like. Strange but true statement. Effexor has allowed me to handle just about anything thrown at me. Yes I get a little anxious but over all I'm ok. I did have bad gas and a headache but it got better totally worth a try."

Candy_cane April 1, 2016