User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor XR reviews 177 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Effexor XR

Review by VIRIDIANA: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 10:53 AM
Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM
Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 7:01 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by beth101: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU.

February 3, 2014 7:43 PM
Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2014 7:45 AM
Review by betterthangood: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effexor XR with (Abilify) for Bi-Polar, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for over 6 years. From Lamictal to Seroquel (and all meds mentioned in reviews), by far this is the best medicine I have used with minimal side effects for me. 225mg. With 20mg of Abilify, for me, a 57 year old woman, it allows a full, rich life from a suicidal, black hole. Added benefit (as a woman) is it staves off menopause effects of hot flashes, etc. Warning: heed advice from me please, and others, that state about effects of missed dosage or sudden suspension. This is dangerous; withdrawal is significant. Lastly, generic does not work the same as name brand for me. This is a very expensive medicine.

February 1, 2014 9:36 PM
Review by 1dayaTime (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Been taking venlafaxine XR for 15 years and all in all found it did what it was intended for, which was to suppress my depression and assist me in coping with life. My dosage amount fluctuated through the years, from 75mg up to 225mg(I think) and I had very little trouble with it, except when I forgot to refill it. I will say that the side effects of stopping Effexor are horrific and a contributor to why I stayed on it for so long. I'm off it now and I don't know if I'll ever get back on it again because I CANNOT go through the withdrawal feeling again, at least not with my sanity intact.

January 27, 2014 5:25 PM
Review by MzT: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My body responded very negatively to this medicine and I had to be pulled off of it. I had a lot of side effects with no relief for my generalized anxiety disorder it was prescribed for. Side effects: tremors, blurred vision, ringing in ears, constipation, irregular period, insomnia, nightmares, light headedness, coldness in extremities, suicidal feelings, murderous feelings, cloudy head, weight gain, nausea, metallic tasting dry mouth.

January 25, 2014 12:22 PM
Review by Courto (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Was taking 150mg of Effexor XR for an eating disorder and depression, did not help me. Had terrible night sweats, would wake up in the middle of the night with wet clothes and I have put on a lot of weight and couldn't lose weight, I've been totally off Effexor XR for around a week or so and I will never go back on.

January 6, 2014 3:18 AM
Review by Senna (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR, the brand name one. It is the best medicine for me. I can't be without it. I also use progesterone cream along with it for the weeks that my PMS is bad.

January 4, 2014 7:20 PM
Review by bretly (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Tried several antidepressants before going on Effexor XR and have received excellent results with this medication.

January 1, 2014 11:37 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: As long as I am on 225 mg I do just fine.

December 23, 2013 10:22 PM
Review by Lyn74:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: I have my life back thanks to this. I had two children and felt anxiety taking over my life. Never happy, angry, sad and depressed. Now my friends and husband says I'm back to being me and my kids feel the difference too. I'm more patient, attentive and generally a nicer person! I don't look forward to coming off the 75mg tabs I'm on, but will think about that when the time comes.

December 11, 2013 8:22 AM
Review by Johnny KO (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I Began taking Effexor XR 150 to treat anxiety /Depression. The medication gave very few adverse reactions initially. I did notice benefits until the end of my second month. There was a mistake with supply and I had to go 2 days without. Within 2 days I was in Full on withdrawals. It Began with insomnia, liveable. Then came nausea, muscle cramps, hot \Cold sweats, hives, Swollen tongue, Irritability, Depression, HALLUCINATIONS... Those were the most significant ones. By the second day off my withdrawals were bad.

December 10, 2013 8:49 AM
Review by Indyria (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Effexor XR going onto 3 years. I started at 37.5mg and am now on 150mg. I find that the body builds a tolerance to it and the dose needs to be increased. It does help my social anxiety almost completely but I still get moments of general anxiety, not anything like they used to be premedication. The only side effect I get is hot flashes. Also when you come down with a cold or flu, there's really nothing you can take except Tylenol for fever and pain due to drug interactions

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 11, 2013 2:49 PM
Review by Samshaz (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Started at 37.5 for hot flashes but also found that my hair trigger anger and low grade depression were gone. Oh, did I mention the onset of suicidal Ideation I experienced at menopause? Took care of that too. Went up to 150xr a day, but stomach upset, excessive teeth grinding, loss of libido and weight gain are making me go back to 37.5 again. Ended up on the 150 cause of my wicked hot flashes.....but willing to deal w them at 37.5 for the sake of my sex life. I'm afraid to go off of it at 37.5, as it removed the anxiety and despair I realized I have felt most of my life. I encourage many to stay at the lowest dose of any of these drugs; it takes time to figure out which one is good for you. Cheers

November 8, 2013 7:47 AM
Review by EmotionallyAlive: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: At 56 years old and being raised to "put on a happy face", I can finally say I feel happy and emotionally alive. Depression had consumed me for 35+ years. I was a hollow shell. Talk therapy did nothing. Once the Dr. discovered the brain had damage to the neurotransmitter/receptors and started me on slowly increasing doses of Effexor XR the depression cleared. I now take 150mg daily. There has been no negative side effects. It's been 3 years now. People who know me well are extremely supportive; those who don't know my "history" would be surprised learning I take an antidepressant. Only rated as a 9 because long term/life long use is unknown still.

October 27, 2013 2:02 AM
Review by Mary Jane Alice: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I entered the beginning stages of menopause and my mood changed dramatically. I was getting very concerned as I had never felt so sad and hopeless. I could not stop crying and things that normally I would not let bother me were becoming huge issues. I did not recognize myself. I am known as glass half full kind of person so the change was dramatic. I was put on 35mg of Effexor and wow - what a difference. Surprise, surprise my hot flashes stopped, ( I have since read it helps with that) mood back to normal and strangely my joints don't hurt so much and I have more energy. The few negatives are I yawn a lot and though I still enjoy sex I can not have an orgasm. I consider both minor due to feeling so much better.

October 24, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by Jaded123 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Had horrible side effects, did not sleep for 2 weeks. Developed tics. Felt like I was living a nightmare. Had to be hospitalized. They took me off Effexor. And I started Zoloft. Zoloft worked fantastic . Took Zoloft for a year. Been off meds for 9 years with no problems.

October 23, 2013 3:48 AM
Review by harryxtc:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I took this for about eight weeks and it seemed to be working fine until I missed a dose - forgot to take the medication on a trip with me - and began to experience some 'odd' effects. Namely, my vision began to pixillate and I felt I was in some pointillist nightmare. Fortunately, I went to a local pharmacy and explained what was happening and after contacting my GP's surgery, he gave me enough to tide me over. Made a hasty phased withdrawal after that.

October 10, 2013 6:07 AM
Review by OK2BME: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was started on 75 mg Effexor and then increased to 150 mg. I felt much better overall. Anxiety was about gone, I could think through my thoughts. However, I was not happy with the sexual dysfunction I experienced on the 150 mg dose. My doctor lowered my dose back to 75 mg and the sexual dysfunction resolved and my generalized anxiety disorder is within tolerable limits. I recently added Vitamin D and B12 to my daily regimen with my Effexor 75 mg ER dose and noticed a huge lifting of the mental fog that I had known for so long. This combination has been keeping my thoughts from racing, my hope from tanking and my perspective in a good and positive place. It works for me.

October 4, 2013 9:17 PM
Review by Anonymoose: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I took 225mg of Effexor XR for about 6 years for MDD and was doing well until I started to notice a drop in it's effectiveness. I then tried Lexapro (terrible) and Cymbalta. The latter worked well for about a year-and-a-half, until, again, it's effectiveness waned. My physician suggested that, since Effexor XR had worked in the past, I give it another shot. I've been back on 150mg now for over a year-and-a-half and am doing well on it. The medicine, along with talk therapy, has helped significantly. The side effects I experience are: increased sweating, dry mouth, and loss of libido. Also, missing a dose for more than a day is miserable, as it causes nausea, a "disconnected head" feeling and slight anxiety.

October 2, 2013 6:20 PM