User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

7.1
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 253 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. I have had depression and anxiety since I was 21 years old, and am in my late 40's now. Other anti-depressants caused horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. Plus the medications didn't work that well for me. I have been on Effexor for 8 months, 150 mg. It works wonders for me. I actually like to be around people now. I go places etc... I have a life again, and noticed that I get excited about life. Also, I have lost weight on it. My cravings are gone, I feel full after a meal and full a lot longer after the meal. I am gaining back my energy. I am a woman who was so severely depressed, I couldn't even get out of my recliner, and didn't get dressed most days. What a difference!"

Tol August 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Starting of i was hesitant because nothing really happened i just felt blah the first two days on 75mg, than i started feeling the posotive effects! It was amazing, i havent felt like this ever before on an antidepressant! Im now on 150mg and just livin life depression free. If you have tried prozac, celexa, brintellix, and they havent worked for you give this a shot... Sometimes the risk is worth it!"

TalldudeTom August 24, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Out of all the serotonin based drugs that literally have nothing to really do with true clinical depression; this is the better of the SSRI and SNRI class. Not anywhere as dangerous and toxic as Cymbalta; although this medication is something I want to warn everyone about: Effexor very quickly makes you its slave. Probably by purpose it has a very short half-life which makes even missing one dose produces horrendous withdrawal effects I would have to say are just as bad as abrupt benzodiazepine withdrawal (which is documented to be as bad as kicking heroin!). I will admit I do think it did help me but I have to stress even the XR release only has a 24 hour half-life. So 8 AM rolls around; you have no choice."

Alexander-X (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

For Depression "I've just started 37.5 mg of effexor xr for depression, gad and pd. Im on day 10 and I'm finally getting my energy back. I no longer stay on the couch all day long. Im finding that I have more energy in the am but after lunch the energy slowly fades. But im ok with that!! I was on celexa 30mg for 10 years and i am slowly weaning off that. The celexa work for maby the first 2 years but thats it! I havent tried anything else because I have a fear of taking new meds. I am very proud of myself for taking the plunge and trying something new!! Im happy that I did! I also suffer from chronic daily headaches and migraines which has a huge part of why I have anxiety and depression. I take 40mg of proaponolol and 75mg of amitriptyline as preventive"

kittsykat (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

For Depression "I was on 300mg. Of Effexor XR for 3 years and did not realise what it was doing to me until I weaned myself off it. I had constant suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide several times. I had severe alcohol craving and was labelled an alcoholic and had several very expensive stays in re-hab. I suffered horrific nightmares, paranoia and at times had difficulty rationalising what was reality. I lost all ability to handle my finances. My relationships were severely damaged because of this and I almost died 4 times. I have now been off it for 4 months and I am a different person. I no longer have nightmares, suicidal thoughts or crave or drink alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous drug! Avoid it completely! My story is not unique."

Wendy57 August 19, 2015

For Anxiety "I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

For Depression "I've been on this medicine for going on 5 months now and it's helped and not helped at the same time, I ran out and the 3 days I was off of it my head started feeling funny and I started feeling sick along with suicidal thoughts it was horrible and now I can't get off it, my aunt is on it as well and she's been on it for 20 years her doctor fought to get it off the market for being an addicting drug and potentially harmful as well. But when I'm on it I feel fine for the most part, but if I had to do all over again I would've told my Dr to put me on something else."

scarwal August 14, 2015

For Depression "This was indeed the scariest medication ever. I started it and the first two weeks were too much. I had the normal beginning-taking-New-antidepressant side effects but I'd have hallucinations in the dark. Things would move and sway and melt together. It began to make me numb over the five years I took this medicine. I couldn't "feel" anything. All I wanted to do was sleep and sit there and zone out. I felt as though I was in limbo. They tried all doses and absolutely nothing changed. Not only that, I would miss a day and it was a nightmare. Eventually I cut myself off of it in the way the doctor told me to. Scariest experience ever. Worst few weeks of my life. I still had nighttime hallucinations, I felt like I was falling off a skyscraper."

Raven lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

For Anxiety "I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was switched to this after the generic version by ranbaxy was discontinued. Developed symptoms of tolerance straightaway. It causes my brain to scream out in pain all the time and I keep getting unwanted thoughts. I also developed muscular aches and pains all over and other drugs just kept causing my muscles to contract and be unable to relax. I tried stopping many times but kept returning cuz of the nausea and vomiting and all the other symptoms above. I have been off it for about three months and have been back on it for three days. Already I hear my brain screaming out in pain and the unwanted thoughts return. The muscle aches seem to occur only in conjunction with another drug. I am taking it only because of the grief I feel in my heart"

suicidejean (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Year 1 no effect on my weight, years 2 & 3 I experienced steady weight gain (15kg / 33 pounds). Other main side effects were: somnolence, swearing, electric-shock sensations in my brain and my body, twitching. However, SSRIs had never worked well for me, and venlafaxine was a fantastic alternative. I became very complacent in general on this drug. The withdrawal symptoms I had were horrendous - it was like coming off narcotics. . Vomiting, shaking, muscle spasms, everything hurt. At one point drifting in and out of consciousness. But if I hadn't taken venlafaxine I probably wouldn't be here today. I would take it again if I had to. Dose 150mg. Female, I was 27 when I went on Effexor XR and 30 when I stopped. I turn 31 next week."

Little skitty (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

For Depression "I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

For Anxiety "Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am not only trying to help my depression but I'm trying to find something to help my ADHD symptoms. ... my psychiatrist said this would help as a non stimulant because I am really sketchy about trying adderall or something similar. Well my experience with Venlafaxine was that I developed twitches! Involuntary twitching is incredibly annoying. ... so back to fluoxetine. I did feel more focused... but the twitching is not tolerable enough for me"

Tisa12345678910 July 12, 2015

For Depression "I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on medication since 18 yrs old and this is by far the best than I've taken. And it really works!! The side effects are unconfortable however in the beginning. But once they are gome I feeled good. I've started with 75mg was not enough. Once I was on 150mg the magic operates.And now I have been on 225mg for about 6 months. So far so good. I recommend it. Best thing that happened to me in a while."

Katos1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on EffexorXR 300mg since August of last year. I must say it has been a bumpy ride at best. I gave it an 8 because although it has been fairly effective for my suicidal outlook on life, it has not really done a whole lot for my depression. I still have overlap symptoms meaning that all my symptoms of depression are still there I just don't feel like I want to die. As for side effects, in the first few weeks all I was was tired, but after the initial few weeks it subsided. After that I really am no help because I went through the tribulation of finding a good anti-anxiety medication. I really do think I am alive now because of the EffexorXR. No improvement in qol because I still deal day to day with depression, but not suicidal."

Kelentaria (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

For Depression "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

For Anxiety "Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

For Anxiety "Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

For Depression "I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

For Depression "Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor xr 150, once daily for 10 years. Never been better"

ajrchery (taken for 10 years or more) May 29, 2015

For Panic Disorder "After very unsuccessful attempts with Lexapro and Prozac, I started on Effexor XR 2 months ago. Really suffered a lot to have my system adapted to it in the first 5 days. After that I had 2 wonderful weeks. It has helped me a lot with panic attacks I used to have (specially dizziness and balacing issues), butI have started suffering with huge stomach pains. I thinks those are related to effexor."

Guita May 20, 2015