User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Postpartum Depression 10 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 27 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 318 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

For Depression "Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "You know, I wasn't sure what to rate this. In terms of effectiveness, definitely very much so. But in terms of the quality of life after taking this for a year and a half, I'm not sure it's worth it. It acted as a number for me. I don't remember many months of my life while taking this pill. The memory loss scares me sometimes. But I like to think I was just coasting, softly through time. Maybe that's what I needed from this pill during that time of my life, however. Anyway - I don't take this anymore. I have been switched to Lithium, which has been my slow but sure savior. Overall, Effexor XR is a strong medication for strong emotions, but you lose a part of who you are along with it."

BrightSoul (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Anxiety "In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Depression "I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I tried Effexor XR after most of the SSRIs I recently tried gave me diarrhea for more than just the initial adjustment period. I tend to be more on the anxious side of life and the SSRIs seemed to treat that better than Effexor, but I cant be in the bathroom all day. 75mg/day works well for me currently. I was on 150mg for a year which worked well, but then suddenly my anxiety and obsessive thinking was coming back.The doc upped dose to 225 and I got way worse, so we lowered it and boom. way better. "less is more" worked for me this time. Effexor XR also has less side effects for me regarding fatigue, hunger, weight gain and sexual side effects. as a woman this is a huge perk. mental health- the struggle is real! Good luck!"

allison_G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

For Depression "I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took this for six months, I felt great, then my doctor took me off it because he said I shouldn't take it for too long, this was 4 years ago, now for the past year my anxiety is horrible. I wish he hasn't taken me off out and now I'm going to talk to my new doctor about it."

Al86 April 9, 2016

For Anxiety "My experience was a waking nightmare... I was started on a low dose to treat anxiety.. It didn't help at all. My DR kept slowly increasing my dose while I suffered from extreme anxiety with no relief.. I had weight gain, night sweats, oddly long menstrual cycles, cramps, the urge to drink alcohol. I went to another Dr that said the dose needed to be at least 225 to treat anxiety I was on 125 so he increased dosage. This made the side effects much worse and the weight gain. I didn't care about anything, I wasn't myself. I decided after 20 lb gain to stop and got tapered off. I became extremely ill it was like having the flu everyday for weeks. I've been completely off a few weeks now I have headaches still and extreme anger like rage."

Should be illegal (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

For Anxiety "I don't normally review anything but this time I thought I thought I should especially considering most people only tell you the negative experiences of a drug. I really didn't know my anxiety was bad until now. I know I had bad "nerves" is what I call it and I'm normally on edge and get paranoid about almost everything especially my relationships. I got so used to being anxious that it became normal to the point that I forgot what the other side felt like. Strange but true statement. Effexor has allowed me to handle just about anything thrown at me. Yes I get a little anxious but over all I'm ok. I did have bad gas and a headache but it got better totally worth a try."

Candy_cane April 1, 2016

For Anxiety "In response to Natalie- why didn't your doctor wean you off this medication? By just cutting your dose by half-if that's what he/she did here, no wonder you're experiencing such horrific side effects - speak up! My daughter just started taking this for panic disorder brought about by MIf the RX only comes in capsule form at those two doses- then there needs to be advocacy to change this so there is a way to wean off this med! So many people report negative side effects- withdrawal shouldn't be torture and you might need to find a more compassionate doctor- it astonishes me the lack of empathy some professionals have- considering their career choice- if they can't be compassionate, they should stay AWAY from patients and stick to reearch!"

Jadia (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I was a walking mess, until I got introduce to this miracle pill. I started off with 75 mg. My doctor notice a little difference in my speech and personality in general, so he upgrade to 2 pills of 75 mg. So now I'm up to 250 mg. a day...I'm doing very good. .love the ppl. who invented this medicine, btw I'm taking it with clonazepam 0.5 mg 3 times a day, I also have p.t.s.d, I'm doing amazingly gr8. Thank you Jesus #Amen God is good. ..Good luck with your struggles. ."

Dolly :D (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2016

For Anxiety "I have very bad anxiety, moderate panic attacks, and horrible night terrors. I just couldn't take it anymore. This was the first medication I tried. It has helped me so much, I can't even explain it to you. Yes, I still have anxiety but it is mild now. I almost never have nightmares anymore. As soon as I miss a dose, I get light headed, dizzy, and feel like crap. Has very bad withdrawls. I have almost no side efffects. This medicine has been great for me. Been on it almost a year. I am at 150mg."

BugsBunny89 March 15, 2016

For Anxiety "This medication has helped me out a lot with depression and ruminative thoghts. It has made me feel less anxious and much happier. I get depressed less and less. I have been on this med for 6 months now and it has helped give me the energy to be happy. Give it a shot! Only negative side effect for me has been night sweats. Missing a dose hasn't cause any problems for me."

DepressionDude25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2016

For Depression "I have been on Effexor for about 6-7 years now. I started taking 75mg which needed to be increased to 4x 75mg per day as I was in complete terror. This drug saved my life. I would not be here if not for this drug. I tried Amitryptyline, citalopram, and propranolol for many years previously but they did not give me the relief I needed. 1st 2 weeks of taking this drug while off work, I saw the room flip upside down a few times making me fall down in the shower etc. It was a really scary time but once in my system I got great relief almost immediately. My side effects now are just sweating and tiredness but I am on 2 x75mg/day & feel really content. I got down to 75 mg/ day but felt anxious so upped to 2/day. Great drug if it suits you!!!!"

Nic (52) (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been on effexor xr for approximately 25 years....150mg...but still getting horrific night sweats...has anyone else suffered this long...or...been on effexor xr longer"

Golden oldie March 13, 2016

For Depression "1/10 would not take again. Felt dizzy nauseous and tired."

Marbling March 10, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've only been on this medicine for a month and am experiencing more mood swings. My anxiety has worsened along with my fatigue. I am also experiencing hives and skin sensitivity"

MelissaPhoenix March 1, 2016

For Depression "Used it during menopause for extreme emotional distress. That was 15 years ago. It was slowly increased from 33 mg to 225 mg due to ineffectiveness. I finally decided after reading up on it that it wasn't worth the side effects that I had if I ran out or if I wanted to get off. Well, I decided to get off. Please do not go on this drug if there is a chance you will ever want to go off of it. It took me 4 months to wean myself off. This past week was the first week I have been completely off. It has been an excruciating long 4 months. I took my time, but the withdrawal is bad. I can not imagine withdrawal from other drugs being much worse. Feel sick to my stomach, Joints ache beyond belief. Emotionally I am a mess, but I try, I try!"

Jeod (taken for 10 years or more) February 28, 2016

For Anxiety "Been on effexor xr for approximately 12 years! I regret taking it. Am on 225mg per day, doctor wants me to taper down to 150 per day! It's a damn nightmare I'm on day 2 of being on 150 mg and the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I feel dizzy nauseous feels like my head is hot feel very tense, very moody, and short fuse. I could go on."

Ñatalié83 February 26, 2016

For Depression "Gave me my life back. 150mg"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2016

For Anxiety "I've had unmedicated anxiety all my life which seemed to become worse with as I got older.. Though I lived with it. Also I experienced my first migraine which were followed by almost daily tension headaches. My doctor recommended Effexor. I was very nervous to try after the many things I read googling. I told her I was also concerned about weight gain and sexual dysfunction. I was a newlywed of 40.. Worked hard to loose weight. She still recommended it. In a few weeks I could feel better. I noticed as time went on I was calmer.. I wasn't having 10 thoughts at once. I felt at peace. I started sleeping better. Because I felt better and my mind was clear, I was more patient. Sex was even better. I did not gain weight. a little nausea at first."

Angiedt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

For Anxiety "Has anyone experienced weigh gain with this?"

Over welled February 17, 2016

For Depression "I've been on this for almost three months at this point for my depression and anxiety. I started at 75 mg, raised to 150 mg, and then lowered back to 75 mg. While it doesn't at all touch my anxiety, I definitely feel a lot better depression-wise. My psychiatrist raised it to 150 mg in the hopes it would help my anxiety, but it didn't so we lowered it and simply added 50 mg of Seroquel XR to help the anxiety. I honestly can't say I really have any side effects. Perhaps I have minor night sweats at times but if there are any side effects I don't really notice them, and I feel satisfied using this for my depression."

Ashley Savage (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2016