User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 20 reviews 6 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 228 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor works reasonably well for me. I'm on 150mg and for the most part it controls my depression. I do find it better to take this med in the morning. Firstly because I think it lessens the depression for me when I take it at that time. Also it stops the side effect of dizziness for me. If I miss the meds I know about it. As the dizziness does not go away otherwise. That's really the only side effect that I find that's negative about this med."

Tascha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2015

For Anxiety "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

For Anxiety "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

For Depression "I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Anxiety "Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "It works wonderfully. I've tried many antidepressants and they all left me feeling, not sad. But I still felt lethargic and hopeless. Effexor gives me motivation and drive. Helps me get out of bed in the morning and off the couch during the day. And it started working within the first week. The ONLY drawback I've found is it really decreases my libido and you CANNOT miss a dose. It will really ruin your day."

149021Samantha April 24, 2015

For Panic Disorder "Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal"

t. beaver April 20, 2015

For Anxiety "You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off"

kevin1234 April 13, 2015

For Depression "I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

For Depression "One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

For Depression "I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!"

happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

For Depression "I struggled with depression, mood swings, and incredibly severe anxiety at a very young. Effexor is the only drug that worked for me. I went up to 150mg and that really helped me control my anxiety and depression. I became more outgoing and was able to enjoy life in a way I hadn't been able to before. The one con with this medication is the withdrawal, which is severe. If I miss a dose I experience fatigue, powerful electrical shocks throughout my body, and I become very withdrawn and "out of it". I switched to taking 2 doses; one 75mg at night and morning. I switched recently to pristiq to see if it would 't have this side effect, but it does (although, less severe) and it isn't as effective. I will be going back to Effexor."

Regular_reviewer April 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on Venlafaxine for 20 years started on the tablet then changed to the MR capsules. nearly gave up on them as side effects were bad but stuck with them and they were a hugh help specially the slow release capsules, now however my gp change me back to the tablets as the capsules were too expensive for the practise to prescribe. I'm now on 75mg twice a day and I'm finding that for a couple of hours after taking I'm on a high and everything is right with the world but the hours between are really bad, also if you forget to take a tablet the withdraw symtoms are horrific stomach cramps, vomiting, migraine headache, shakes to name a few. No such problem with the slow release capsules so if your Dr prescribes venlafaxine ask for the MR"

ladymorgarna (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2015

For Depression "I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects."

..... (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

For Anxiety "I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful"

Calamity017 March 17, 2015

For Depression "I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day."

Mikkiluv March 16, 2015

For Anxiety "Been on Effexor since July 2014. I take the lower dosage 2x a day as the higher one all at once made me feel sick. I have severe anxiety to the point where i didn't want to leave the house. I am also on Ativan for moments i know when i panic...way better than Xanax. I was on Paxil, Wellbutron...neither worked, made me feel like a zombie. The only drawback with the Effexor is that I am exhausted!!"

drea1973 February 25, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Mild side effects. Takes a while to wear off in the morning."

Effexor XR user (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2015

For Anxiety "This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR."

Anonymous February 10, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My 1st anxiety attack was in 2000 I didn't know what was going on then I saw my doctor and said I had an anxiety attack he placed me on Effexor XR 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 75 mg after that. I was on it for 14 years then I got off all medication only took Xanax 1 mg. when needed. I lost my job about 5 mo. ago & now having severe anxiety attacks even when I wake up!! I get sweaty, chills, diarrhea, and rapid hear beat. I went to see my doctor he put me back on Effexor 37.5 mg & I'm on day 4 but still having attacks. I hope this gets into my system & soon because it helped me before and I know it will again. No one knows why I get them but I've tried hypnosis, etc . & nothing helps they keep on coming. Plus going to menopause doesn't help"

LindaLexus February 1, 2015

For Anxiety "I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews."

0521j0929d January 26, 2015

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!"

reemus January 25, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was started at a low 75 mg. This was a very dark time emotionally for me because I felt like I was taking candy, not medicine. As we slowly increased the dose, the heaviness of depression began to lift, but I also became VERY sleepy. Other early side effects was dizziness, insomnia, minor stupor, vivid dreams, stomach cramps, and worsened anxiety. All these are gone except anxiety. We added a sleep aid and Buspar to take as needed for anxiety and insomnia. But I had to up the venlafaxine XR to my doctors max outpatient dose of 225 mg to get rid of the unmanageable depression. This dose combined with CBT (therapy) has greatly increased the quality of my life. But NEVER FORGET A PILL! Withdrawal is awful! Sobbing, "shocks", lethargy."

Unbroken0007 January 14, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia"

TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2015