User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Panic Disorder 11 reviews 19 medications

7.1
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 289 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Postpartum Depression "Was taking two 37 mg per day but made me nauseous so kept missing the second dose & wasn't working . Now taking 75mg slow release per day. Was completely spaced out for a few days..zoning out! but after 10 days I feel great. Loads of energy. Depression easing off. Impressed but hope it lasts . Side effects were dry mouth but this has now gone. Sex drive has also plummeted but I do have a baby so could be down to that. In any case I'd rather have my old self back than a sex drive so not too bothered. Have tried prozac and citaloplam in the past until they stopped working. I'd say this is just as good if not better. Fingers crossed x"

Helen248 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

For Anxiety "I have Hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, I also had some bad Paranoia issues at the time prescribed because of an insane stalker. I have taken over 50 medication combinations. This by far is the worst drug I have ever taken. I knick named it, "Effects Her!!!". The medication was hell on Earth for me. I had several bad side effects on this med. The worst being that when I fell asleep my brain created extremely realistic vivid dreams. Also, after sleeping for a few hours, it seemed like very high impact stressful weeks had just gone by in real time. So I had to try to decipher reality upon waking. Needless to say, I lost my job! My Anxiety and Paranoia were worse! Plus it is absolute Hell to come off of!!!"

Never take this EVER!!! February 6, 2016

For Depression "originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I've struggled with GAD, social anxiety, depression issues since I was 15. Lets just say I get easily nervous. I am now 27 as I type this ,and let me just say I've tried every single antidepressant out there. This one has really worked for me it boosted my mood. I'm more social. I don't do anything socially awkward around new people anymore. And I keep losing a lot of weight even though I'm very active. So that's a plus!"

Nickz88 January 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "So after some horrendous blows from life (car accident where my hubs was driving, me in passenger seat, mom behind me...T-Boned and she was killed instantly, I had months of physical therapy, miscarriages, Dad had a massive stroke....just bad thing upon bad thing) I realized that these outside circumstances where absolutely stealing my life away. Now, even previous to these trials and tribulations, I've always been a fairly anxious person. I learned to cope with my "issues" through prayer, yoga, books....things of that nature but this last blow of the accident sent some place else. I finally realized I needed help. I'm only on day 2. I feel better but drowsy. I'm hoping this will at least stabilize me once again. (fingers crossed)"

StefiK (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Anxiety "The drug works well. The problem is trying to get off it or if you run out of pills. Numerous blogs are dedicated to the horror stories of detoxing from this Med! Be very careful and do your research before you start taking this drug!!!"

TaxiTaxi January 26, 2016

For Depression "Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've had problems with depression off and on for most of my life. The first really severe depression happened when I was 24, and that was also the first time I was prescribed Effexor. I had been off it for several years, until just a few years ago when I had another relapse of major depression, mostly due to things in my life. I have to say that Effexor literally saved my life. There is no such thing as a "happy pill," and Effexor won't magically cure you overnight. BUT it takes the edge off the depression so you don't feel quite so hopeless, and you are able to function again and can go to counselling. It just kind of eases the symptoms of the depression. I had NO side effects from it, other than a very slight drowsiness in the beginning."

Ct92404 January 20, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "During menstruation, I felt like I was out of control. It was okay the other 3 weeks of the month. But that one week a month was horrible."

Miss Mel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Effexor XR for anxiety while I was home from college over winter break. I took it one day and I felt good but then I couldn't sleep for the following entire next day and then it made me feel completely sick so I didn't take another one the next day because I wanted to be able to fall asleep. 5 days later I tried to take it again to see if I would be able to fall asleep and that time I wasn't able to fall asleep the next two days and I felt extremely sick and like my brain hurt so bad the next day after taking it. Its been over a week now since the second time I took and I feel like I hate my life. I've never been so depressed and anxious. how long will this last? major regret"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Been on Venlifaxine 75 mg a day for a month. It's the first time I've felt normal in 30 years. I tried everything else and it helped but this is perfect. No side effects."

RayfromAZ January 4, 2016

For Depression "Only the brand name version of Effexor works for me. Luckily my medical insurance agreed with my doctor and authorized me to continue getting the brand name version. I have found it to be very effective. An Interesting "good side effect" is it helps with my serious face pain. A win win medicine."

Smudge-1229 December 24, 2015

For Anxiety "This medication has helped me immensely! I tried Lexapro, but had too many negative side effects. Effexor took about 6 weeks to fully work, but it really brought me out of the depths of my anxirty fuelled depression. I finally feel myself after many years of living in the fog. The side effects for the first 2 weeks for me were: insomnia, increased anxiety/depression, hot flashes, and nausea. These all disappeared after the initial 2 weeks and it's totally worth getting through that rough patch. Once Effexor started working I thought, OMG! I'm back! My body is dependent on it, though. If I miss a dose, I get dizzy and nauseous. Just know you must wean yourself off and not go cold turkey so you don't feel sick."

Anxiety Girl 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I had a major trauma happen in my life about 11 yrs ago. Although I have been depressed for most of my life I went to the doctor for extra help during this stressful time. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR and I was on 75 milligrams per day and then within the last 4 years to 150 milligrams. I truly do not know what I would do without this medicine. It really has improved my life, my mood and lessens the depression. I too once tried to wean off on my own and it was very emotional time. I will never do that again without my Drs knowledge and help. Effexor xr has changed my life and improved it greatly. I say try it and if it doesn't work for you, continue to consult with your Dr to find a medicine that helps your depression. Best wishes."

What Depression? (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

For Panic Disorder "I use to have panic attacks everyday for three years. I was scared to go to sleep. I've tried so many antidepressant and effexor was the only thing that worked with little to no side effects. My Dr. started me on 75mg, then increased it two wks later to 100mg. I've been on 100mg for almost a yr and I still haven't had a panic attack or anxiety."

Jay Nita December 20, 2015

For Anxiety "Hi All, I'm a 26-year-old African American woman and I'm so glad that I found Effexor (Venlafaxine, for me) because it has really helped me manage my anxiety and depression. It's not common to talk about medication in the Black community so if you're reading this and think that the drug might help you - just give it a try! My therapist said that Effexor really tends to help young women. I have been on the drug for 16 months and went from 75 mg to 150mg. I just checked in with my prescribing psychiatrist today and I figured I would take some time to write reviews for people who haven't made the jump to medication. I also use Beating the Blues CBT online tool - it's free at my job! The combination, plus eating healthy and working out, works!"

TravelPants December 11, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took Effexor XR 37.5mg for 1 month against general anxiety & major depressive episode after big setbacks in business and job. The first week I had to force myself to take it with daily telephone encouragement of the Doctor (GP). Headaches, nausea, sweating, and anxiety about taking the new drug itself. After 3 weeks I did feel a bit better but had strong headaches and felt very tiered still all day. I decided to reduce and phase it out over 2 weeks by taking out the little balls from the pill. To my surprise this was much easier to stop than Paxil that I had discontinued for 8 months (after longterm use). Now without Effexor since 4 weeks; no more headaches or anxiety, feel more alive and productive without these "numbing" drugs."

Mike (52 yrs.) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

For Depression "Initially I had a decrease in my depression but after a year or so it seemed to do nothing however I had a lot of outside factors that could have caused that. I didn't realize until after I got off how much it made me sweat. Sometimes to the level of embarrassment. I also had severe dry mouth and constantly had to drink huge amounts of water. Gained a lot of weight. AS soon as I got off it I started losing weight, was never thirsty and stopped sweating. I think compared to the side affects it wasn't worth it to me."

vicki2468 December 5, 2015

For Depression "I have been on 150mg for a little over a month, and I have lost a total of 16lbs already. Which I could use to loose some weight. But I do feel sometimes that I am very fatigued and my memory is lacking."

Reggie75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor worsened my depression. Made me feel exhausted all the time and impossible to be able to wake up in the mornings. I was unable to concentrate. My mood worsened and my motivation to do anything lessened. My depression got worse every time they increased my dose."

stan145 November 17, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor has had an absolutely amazing impact on my life. I have Major Depression Disorder - I have Anxiety, fun mix! I started off on 75mg and after a couple of months went to 150. Been at 150mg for close to 6 months and I am an entirely different person. My relationships have improved ten fold because I am no longer moody, irrational and I can feel emotions other than hopelessness and indescribable sadness. With that said - I am pretty certain I will never be able to come off this medication. I recently had to go 5 days without my Effexor and it was literally hell. First 2 days, I thought it was the flu - by day 5, I was ready to end it all. 3 days back on and I am golden. Oh plus it makes my pupils HUGE. Like I worry people think I am high."

CecieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2015

For Anxiety "To Socanxiety. I have been on EffexorXR for over 10 years. (I also have short term memory loss so my doctor put me on Concerta, 36 mgs, which is the lowest dose and it is helping!) I am 59 years old and am happy and less anxious with taking effexor 225 mgs a day. I take 75mg pill before bed and am less anxious when I get up. Then I take the 150mg capsule in the morning. I still have times that I have anticipatory anxiety and use 10 mgs of Valium which helps. I am hoping when we retire and move south that I can lower the Effexor. Great med and I have tried many over the last 20 years!!"

Nomoreanxietyplease1956 November 13, 2015

For Depression "Taking Effexor in the beginning was hard to get used to but after 6 months I felt great. Down side is I have headaches and sweat a lot. If I miss more than 4 days then I have withdrawal symptoms. I'm taking 150 mg a day and despite the side effects I wouldn't change a thing. Oh yeah I have also lost weight while taking Effexor."

JD3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2015

For Anxiety "2.5 years after the birth of my child I realized I needed help for PPD/PPA. My irritability and anger just kept getting worse and I would go days without leaving the house. I was put on Effexor XR 75mg. I only took one dose around 830 PM. I was up all night, jittery, restless, vivid dreams. The following day I was so out of it I feared I couldn't care for my child and had my SO come home. I was incredibly nauseated and jittery with sprqodic muscle spasms, my fingers were shaking a bit and I had heart palpitations. It was awful. Around 6 PM it started to go away but didn't completely until the following day. I will never take this medication again, it was very scary."

Kxhild (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Don ever remember feeling 100% on effexor Bad withdrawal symptoms. I went from 150mg of effexor to 10mg of cipramil and feel alot better. There is no way il everl be taking effexor and wouldnt recommend it to anyone, to many side effects."

Australian made October 28, 2015