User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

7.1
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 242 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Effexor XR

For Depression "I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

For Anxiety "Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am not only trying to help my depression but I'm trying to find something to help my ADHD symptoms. ... my psychiatrist said this would help as a non stimulant because I am really sketchy about trying adderall or something similar. Well my experience with Venlafaxine was that I developed twitches! Involuntary twitching is incredibly annoying. ... so back to fluoxetine. I did feel more focused... but the twitching is not tolerable enough for me"

Tisa12345678910 July 12, 2015

For Depression "I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been on medication since 18 yrs old and this is by far the best than I've taken. And it really works!! The side effects are unconfortable however in the beginning. But once they are gome I feeled good. I've started with 75mg was not enough. Once I was on 150mg the magic operates.And now I have been on 225mg for about 6 months. So far so good. I recommend it. Best thing that happened to me in a while."

Katos1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been on EffexorXR 300mg since August of last year. I must say it has been a bumpy ride at best. I gave it an 8 because although it has been fairly effective for my suicidal outlook on life, it has not really done a whole lot for my depression. I still have overlap symptoms meaning that all my symptoms of depression are still there I just don't feel like I want to die. As for side effects, in the first few weeks all I was was tired, but after the initial few weeks it subsided. After that I really am no help because I went through the tribulation of finding a good anti-anxiety medication. I really do think I am alive now because of the EffexorXR. No improvement in qol because I still deal day to day with depression, but not suicidal."

Kelentaria (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

For Depression "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

For Anxiety "Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

For Anxiety "Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

For Depression "I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

For Depression "Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor xr 150, once daily for 10 years. Never been better"

ajrchery (taken for 10 years or more) May 29, 2015

For Panic Disorder "After very unsuccessful attempts with Lexapro and Prozac, I started on Effexor XR 2 months ago. Really suffered a lot to have my system adapted to it in the first 5 days. After that I had 2 wonderful weeks. It has helped me a lot with panic attacks I used to have (specially dizziness and balacing issues), butI have started suffering with huge stomach pains. I thinks those are related to effexor."

Guita May 20, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Effexor works reasonably well for me. I'm on 150mg and for the most part it controls my depression. I do find it better to take this med in the morning. Firstly because I think it lessens the depression for me when I take it at that time. Also it stops the side effect of dizziness for me. If I miss the meds I know about it. As the dizziness does not go away otherwise. That's really the only side effect that I find that's negative about this med."

Tascha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2015

For Anxiety "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

For Anxiety "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

For Anxiety "I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

For Depression "I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Anxiety "Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "It works wonderfully. I've tried many antidepressants and they all left me feeling, not sad. But I still felt lethargic and hopeless. Effexor gives me motivation and drive. Helps me get out of bed in the morning and off the couch during the day. And it started working within the first week. The ONLY drawback I've found is it really decreases my libido and you CANNOT miss a dose. It will really ruin your day."

149021Samantha April 24, 2015

For Panic Disorder "Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal"

t. beaver April 20, 2015

For Anxiety "You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off"

kevin1234 April 13, 2015

For Depression "I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

For Depression "One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015