User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Autism 0 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Effexor XR reviews 193 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Effexor XR

Review by Blondegirl311:

For Anxiety: Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Mitra_:

For Anxiety: Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Fuckhead:

For Depression: Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life.

July 26, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by adam1994:

For Anxiety: I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

For Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

For Anxiety: Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by zmb (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm taking this and Remeron for major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Nothing else has worked. I was on Wellbutrin for 2 years but it quit doing anything and after 4 medicine changes my doctor put me on this. Within a week I was not sulking around, I had energy to get off the couch and shower, and actually found I could laugh again! My husband has noticed the difference in my mood as well. I am having horrible sweats at night, and a little blurry vision along with nightmares/weird dreams. But I'm hoping that might fade some as I take it longer. I'm willing to deal with the side effects at this point as I'm getting myself and my life back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by LaniP392:

For Anxiety: This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor.

June 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor.

May 27, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by Emmalc4 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: This medication gives you brain shivers if you are late taking your tablet.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 4, 2014 11:50 AM

Review by NLDIS (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I've tried many different SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac) and nothing worked. I was apprehensive to take the Effexor because of online reviews but I'm so glad I did! The only side effect I've had is tiredness the first few weeks but that has since subsided. I not only feel more energy but I actually can feel happiness. On the other medicines I just felt a numbness and lack of emotion but Effexor has made me feel like me again! This has been my miracle after years of mild-severe depression.

May 2, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Purpledobermann (taken for 10 years or more):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Once the correct dosage was established my anxiety and panic attacks steadily improved. I underwent prolonged treatment due to a nasty relapse after the first round, following the birth of my first child. In the last stretch I was on this medicine for 8 years. Dosage peaked at 150mg and after a couple of years following complete symptoms remission we started dropping the dose VERY gradually. I have been off it for 9 months now. I had only mild adjustment side effects when starting the medicine: headache and nausea - both transient. During treatment I had very low libido and poor apetite. Over time, while initial symptoms positively disappeared, I became more irritable but doctor did not attribute this to the medicine but circumstance/nature

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 7:31 AM

Review by VIRIDIANA:

For Depression: I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

April 11, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 7:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

February 26, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater).

February 13, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by beth101:

For Depression: Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU.

February 3, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 7:45 AM

Review by betterthangood:

For Depression: Effexor XR with (Abilify) for Bi-Polar, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for over 6 years. From Lamictal to Seroquel (and all meds mentioned in reviews), by far this is the best medicine I have used with minimal side effects for me. 225mg. With 20mg of Abilify, for me, a 57 year old woman, it allows a full, rich life from a suicidal, black hole. Added benefit (as a woman) is it staves off menopause effects of hot flashes, etc. Warning: heed advice from me please, and others, that state about effects of missed dosage or sudden suspension. This is dangerous; withdrawal is significant. Lastly, generic does not work the same as name brand for me. This is a very expensive medicine.

February 1, 2014 9:36 PM