User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. I have had depression and anxiety since I was 21 years old, and am in my late 40's now. Other anti-depressants caused horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. Plus the medications didn't work that well for me. I have been on Effexor for 8 months, 150 mg. It works wonders for me. I actually like to be around people now. I go places etc... I have a life again, and noticed that I get excited about life. Also, I have lost weight on it. My cravings are gone, I feel full after a meal and full a lot longer after the meal. I am gaining back my energy. I am a woman who was so severely depressed, I couldn't even get out of my recliner, and didn't get dressed most days. What a difference!"

Tol August 29, 2015

"I've just started 37.5 mg of effexor xr for depression, gad and pd. Im on day 10 and I'm finally getting my energy back. I no longer stay on the couch all day long. Im finding that I have more energy in the am but after lunch the energy slowly fades. But im ok with that!! I was on celexa 30mg for 10 years and i am slowly weaning off that. The celexa work for maby the first 2 years but thats it! I havent tried anything else because I have a fear of taking new meds. I am very proud of myself for taking the plunge and trying something new!! Im happy that I did! I also suffer from chronic daily headaches and migraines which has a huge part of why I have anxiety and depression. I take 40mg of proaponolol and 75mg of amitriptyline as preventive"

kittsykat (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

"I was on 300mg. Of Effexor XR for 3 years and did not realise what it was doing to me until I weaned myself off it. I had constant suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide several times. I had severe alcohol craving and was labelled an alcoholic and had several very expensive stays in re-hab. I suffered horrific nightmares, paranoia and at times had difficulty rationalising what was reality. I lost all ability to handle my finances. My relationships were severely damaged because of this and I almost died 4 times. I have now been off it for 4 months and I am a different person. I no longer have nightmares, suicidal thoughts or crave or drink alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous drug! Avoid it completely! My story is not unique."

Wendy57 August 19, 2015

"I've been on this medicine for going on 5 months now and it's helped and not helped at the same time, I ran out and the 3 days I was off of it my head started feeling funny and I started feeling sick along with suicidal thoughts it was horrible and now I can't get off it, my aunt is on it as well and she's been on it for 20 years her doctor fought to get it off the market for being an addicting drug and potentially harmful as well. But when I'm on it I feel fine for the most part, but if I had to do all over again I would've told my Dr to put me on something else."

scarwal August 14, 2015

"This was indeed the scariest medication ever. I started it and the first two weeks were too much. I had the normal beginning-taking-New-antidepressant side effects but I'd have hallucinations in the dark. Things would move and sway and melt together. It began to make me numb over the five years I took this medicine. I couldn't "feel" anything. All I wanted to do was sleep and sit there and zone out. I felt as though I was in limbo. They tried all doses and absolutely nothing changed. Not only that, I would miss a day and it was a nightmare. Eventually I cut myself off of it in the way the doctor told me to. Scariest experience ever. Worst few weeks of my life. I still had nighttime hallucinations, I felt like I was falling off a skyscraper."

Raven lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

"I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

"I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

"I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

"Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

"I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

"One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

"I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!"

happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"I struggled with depression, mood swings, and incredibly severe anxiety at a very young. Effexor is the only drug that worked for me. I went up to 150mg and that really helped me control my anxiety and depression. I became more outgoing and was able to enjoy life in a way I hadn't been able to before. The one con with this medication is the withdrawal, which is severe. If I miss a dose I experience fatigue, powerful electrical shocks throughout my body, and I become very withdrawn and "out of it". I switched to taking 2 doses; one 75mg at night and morning. I switched recently to pristiq to see if it would 't have this side effect, but it does (although, less severe) and it isn't as effective. I will be going back to Effexor."

Regular_reviewer April 2, 2015

"I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects."

..... (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

"I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day."

Mikkiluv March 16, 2015

"I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!"

reemus January 25, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again."

Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2014

"Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose."

getmebettersoon November 22, 2014

"I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine."

Suecmt October 1, 2014

"Effective but bad side effects of nausea. "

Fuckhead August 5, 2014

"I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared. "

MawMaw10 July 11, 2014

"Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time."

Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2014

"This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2014