User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

Review by MawMaw10:

I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by NLDIS (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've tried many different SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac) and nothing worked. I was apprehensive to take the Effexor because of online reviews but I'm so glad I did! The only side effect I've had is tiredness the first few weeks but that has since subsided. I not only feel more energy but I actually can feel happiness. On the other medicines I just felt a numbness and lack of emotion but Effexor has made me feel like me again! This has been my miracle after years of mild-severe depression.

May 2, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by VIRIDIANA:

I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

April 11, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

February 26, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month):

I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater).

February 13, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by beth101:

Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU.

February 3, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by betterthangood:

Effexor XR with (Abilify) for Bi-Polar, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for over 6 years. From Lamictal to Seroquel (and all meds mentioned in reviews), by far this is the best medicine I have used with minimal side effects for me. 225mg. With 20mg of Abilify, for me, a 57 year old woman, it allows a full, rich life from a suicidal, black hole. Added benefit (as a woman) is it staves off menopause effects of hot flashes, etc. Warning: heed advice from me please, and others, that state about effects of missed dosage or sudden suspension. This is dangerous; withdrawal is significant. Lastly, generic does not work the same as name brand for me. This is a very expensive medicine.

February 1, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by 1dayaTime (taken for 10 years or more):

Been taking venlafaxine XR for 15 years and all in all found it did what it was intended for, which was to suppress my depression and assist me in coping with life. My dosage amount fluctuated through the years, from 75mg up to 225mg(I think) and I had very little trouble with it, except when I forgot to refill it. I will say that the side effects of stopping Effexor are horrific and a contributor to why I stayed on it for so long. I'm off it now and I don't know if I'll ever get back on it again because I CANNOT go through the withdrawal feeling again, at least not with my sanity intact.

January 27, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Courto (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Was taking 150mg of Effexor XR for an eating disorder and depression, did not help me. Had terrible night sweats, would wake up in the middle of the night with wet clothes and I have put on a lot of weight and couldn't lose weight, I've been totally off Effexor XR for around a week or so and I will never go back on.

January 6, 2014 3:18 AM

Review by Senna (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor XR, the brand name one. It is the best medicine for me. I can't be without it. I also use progesterone cream along with it for the weeks that my PMS is bad.

January 4, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by bretly (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tried several antidepressants before going on Effexor XR and have received excellent results with this medication.

January 1, 2014 11:37 PM

As long as I am on 225 mg I do just fine.

December 23, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by Johnny KO (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I Began taking Effexor XR 150 to treat anxiety /Depression. The medication gave very few adverse reactions initially. I did notice benefits until the end of my second month. There was a mistake with supply and I had to go 2 days without. Within 2 days I was in Full on withdrawals. It Began with insomnia, liveable. Then came nausea, muscle cramps, hot \Cold sweats, hives, Swollen tongue, Irritability, Depression, HALLUCINATIONS... Those were the most significant ones. By the second day off my withdrawals were bad.

December 10, 2013 8:49 AM

Review by EmotionallyAlive:

At 56 years old and being raised to "put on a happy face", I can finally say I feel happy and emotionally alive. Depression had consumed me for 35+ years. I was a hollow shell. Talk therapy did nothing. Once the Dr. discovered the brain had damage to the neurotransmitter/receptors and started me on slowly increasing doses of Effexor XR the depression cleared. I now take 150mg daily. There has been no negative side effects. It's been 3 years now. People who know me well are extremely supportive; those who don't know my "history" would be surprised learning I take an antidepressant. Only rated as a 9 because long term/life long use is unknown still.

October 27, 2013 2:02 AM

Review by Mary Jane Alice:

I entered the beginning stages of menopause and my mood changed dramatically. I was getting very concerned as I had never felt so sad and hopeless. I could not stop crying and things that normally I would not let bother me were becoming huge issues. I did not recognize myself. I am known as glass half full kind of person so the change was dramatic. I was put on 35mg of Effexor and wow - what a difference. Surprise, surprise my hot flashes stopped, ( I have since read it helps with that) mood back to normal and strangely my joints don't hurt so much and I have more energy. The few negatives are I yawn a lot and though I still enjoy sex I can not have an orgasm. I consider both minor due to feeling so much better.

October 24, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by harryxtc:

I took this for about eight weeks and it seemed to be working fine until I missed a dose - forgot to take the medication on a trip with me - and began to experience some 'odd' effects. Namely, my vision began to pixillate and I felt I was in some pointillist nightmare. Fortunately, I went to a local pharmacy and explained what was happening and after contacting my GP's surgery, he gave me enough to tide me over. Made a hasty phased withdrawal after that.

October 10, 2013 6:07 AM

Review by Anonymoose:

I took 225mg of Effexor XR for about 6 years for MDD and was doing well until I started to notice a drop in it's effectiveness. I then tried Lexapro (terrible) and Cymbalta. The latter worked well for about a year-and-a-half, until, again, it's effectiveness waned. My physician suggested that, since Effexor XR had worked in the past, I give it another shot. I've been back on 150mg now for over a year-and-a-half and am doing well on it. The medicine, along with talk therapy, has helped significantly. The side effects I experience are: increased sweating, dry mouth, and loss of libido. Also, missing a dose for more than a day is miserable, as it causes nausea, a "disconnected head" feeling and slight anxiety.

October 2, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by Heb:

I have been on Effexor XR for over 15 years. I take a daily dosage of 300mg. It has been the most significant thing in my life! I am able to function normally, hold down a sometimes stressful job, be a great parent and most of all be the best me possible. I have a hormonal imbalance which causes my depression and no amount of psychological intervention was ever going to change that. Effexor XR did. Whilst there are side effects, my body has become accustomed to them and believe me they are nothing in comparison to the dreadful depression. I believe that it has saved my life and ensured that the life I lead is a good one. A couple of tablets a day, some minor side effects and I can get on with a wonderful life.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 9:37 PM

Review by janes7 (taken for 10 years or more):

Been on this for over 10 years. I take 2 different doses every morning - 75 mg and 37.5 mg (which was added about 3 yrs ago). While no drug is perfect, it has saved my life - both figuratively and literally. I've had great success with this medicine. Be forewarned though about missing a day: loopy feeling, lightheaded or a weird feeling in your head (not pain), like a short buzzer effect. Over the years, if I missed a day, I actually did not feel comfortable driving. If you miss 2 days you'll experience heart palpitations and will definitely feel bad. These are the reasons why this medicine should never be suddenly stopped. The dose should gradually be lowered. Conversely, the medicine should be started on a low dose, working up as needed.

August 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Review by krazywhitedude:

I am a 23 year old male suffering from extreme MDD and GAD i have been taking 150 mg of Efexxor XL and 15 of Remeron for two months. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac and this is by far the best medication! I have been lifted from the darkness and have had no side effects including sexual dysfunction. Yay!

August 19, 2013 12:42 AM

Review by daisyp:

I was taking Celexa for 2 years for my depression. It was not working well enough for me. I managed to just live life day by day, and roll with the punches. I suffer extreme anxiety disorder and extreme panic attacks up to 8 times a day. Several caused me to call 911 thinking I was having a heart attack. With all this said, my GP and I talked about changing my medication. I had heard of Effexor, I researched it, and thought why not! I felt that life WOULD NOT get any better then what I was living at that moment. 2 weeks after Effexor and some major hot flashes, I was looking at things different. I actually feel really good and hopeful. Now my smile is not fake and the anxiety has subsided to a minimal. No panic attacks. I am happy!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 2:20 PM

Review by Little bunny:

I HAD BEEN ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT MEDS FOR DEPRESSION & ANXIETY. STARTING WITH PAXIL, PROZAC AND OTHERS I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAMES OF. I STARTED EFFEXOR A YEAR AGO AND IT CERTAINLY WORKS FOR ME, FOR BOTH DEPRESSION & ANXIETY. REMEMBER TO TAKE IT EVERYDAY. ALL SSRIs CAUSE SEVERE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. IF YOU WANT TO DISCONTINUE USE, TELL YOUR DR. COLD TURKEY IS NOT ONLY DEBILITATING IT IS DANGEROUS. I AM SO THANKFUL I HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED EFFEXOR. FINALLY RELIEF FROM THINGS THAT ARE NO BIG DEAL! WHERE AS BEFORE IN MY HEAD, IT WAS SO EXAGGERATED. I LIKE MANY OTHERS HAVE STATED, I WISH THIS WAS AVAILABLE IN MY TEEN YEARS. I AM ENJOYING LIFE AND AM EXTREMELY HAPPY!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by hbaby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine saved my life. I was at my wits end with anti-depressants and was ready to give up. My doctor finally prescribed me this after many failed medications, I am so glad she did. I honestly do not know where I would be without Effexor XR. Side effects were very mild compared to other anti-depressants I tried. I was drowsy for the first couple days, but it was tolerable. I highly recommend this for severe depression. I would also like to mention for people to realize there is light at the end of the tunnel and YOU WILL GET BETTER, and to never give up.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2013 5:34 PM