User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

"I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

"I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

"Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

"I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

"One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

"I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!"

happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"I struggled with depression, mood swings, and incredibly severe anxiety at a very young. Effexor is the only drug that worked for me. I went up to 150mg and that really helped me control my anxiety and depression. I became more outgoing and was able to enjoy life in a way I hadn't been able to before. The one con with this medication is the withdrawal, which is severe. If I miss a dose I experience fatigue, powerful electrical shocks throughout my body, and I become very withdrawn and "out of it". I switched to taking 2 doses; one 75mg at night and morning. I switched recently to pristiq to see if it would 't have this side effect, but it does (although, less severe) and it isn't as effective. I will be going back to Effexor."

Regular_reviewer April 2, 2015

"I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects."

..... (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

"I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day."

Mikkiluv March 16, 2015

"I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!"

reemus January 25, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again."

Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2014

"Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose."

getmebettersoon November 22, 2014

"I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine."

Suecmt October 1, 2014

"Effective but bad side effects of nausea. "

Fuckhead August 5, 2014

"I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared. "

MawMaw10 July 11, 2014

"Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time."

Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2014

"This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2014

"I've tried many different SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac) and nothing worked. I was apprehensive to take the Effexor because of online reviews but I'm so glad I did! The only side effect I've had is tiredness the first few weeks but that has since subsided. I not only feel more energy but I actually can feel happiness. On the other medicines I just felt a numbness and lack of emotion but Effexor has made me feel like me again! This has been my miracle after years of mild-severe depression."

NLDIS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2014

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU."

VIRIDIANA April 11, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2014

"I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater)."

kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2014

"Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU."

beth101 February 3, 2014