User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"Only the brand name version of Effexor works for me. Luckily my medical insurance agreed with my doctor and authorized me to continue getting the brand name version. I have found it to be very effective. An Interesting "good side effect" is it helps with my serious face pain. A win win medicine."

Smudge-1229 December 24, 2015

"Initially I had a decrease in my depression but after a year or so it seemed to do nothing however I had a lot of outside factors that could have caused that. I didn't realize until after I got off how much it made me sweat. Sometimes to the level of embarrassment. I also had severe dry mouth and constantly had to drink huge amounts of water. Gained a lot of weight. AS soon as I got off it I started losing weight, was never thirsty and stopped sweating. I think compared to the side affects it wasn't worth it to me."

vicki2468 December 5, 2015

"I have been on 150mg for a little over a month, and I have lost a total of 16lbs already. Which I could use to loose some weight. But I do feel sometimes that I am very fatigued and my memory is lacking."

Reggie75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2015

"Taking Effexor in the beginning was hard to get used to but after 6 months I felt great. Down side is I have headaches and sweat a lot. If I miss more than 4 days then I have withdrawal symptoms. I'm taking 150 mg a day and despite the side effects I wouldn't change a thing. Oh yeah I have also lost weight while taking Effexor."

JD3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2015

"I can explain this drug easily. It will take away your problems, BUT...your sleep won't be effective, you will have extreme memory problems, you won't experience vibrant emotion (it's always dull), did I mention you will be tired literally all day within minutes of waking? You will basically be a living zombie where every action you take feels forced and fake. You will gain a ton of weight. I was a bodybuilder, 200lb 7.5% bodyfat year round. Counted calories constantly. Still did on effexor, counted them all the way up to 4k a day along with 4-6 beers and no weight lifting. I just didn't care. I'm 215lbs at 28% bodyfat. If you don't know what that means, basically I traded a 6-pack for a keg. Went from a size 32 to a size 38. In 8 months"

NameWasTaken (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015

"I am a new person after taking this. I can live and not be in constant despair. It did take a while to work and together with praying the rosary, I have finally reached a state of contentment."

Joycey368 October 10, 2015

"After a suicide attempt that landed me in the hospital's psych ward for three weeks, I was put on Effexor XR and Lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer. This combo has changed my life. It took a few months to get the dosage right (yes, MONTHS), but I'm coming up on two years since I've been hospitalized with little to no problems. I'm 21 and finishing my post-secondary education, hold a part-time job, live on my own, and have loving and supporting relationships. I never thought it would get better until Effexor came around."

NotDepressedAnymore1100 September 28, 2015

"I am currently on 225mg and soon to be bumped up to 300mg, it worked for while but at this time and point I don't feel it is doing as much for me, I don't know why but I feel as if I have built an immunity to it, but this could just be me being crazy Ol me"

Not so normal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2015

"I started with Prozac and could not sleep at all. With Effexor 150mg, I could sleep standing up and was so sedated that I could not function. Withdrawal from 150mg to 75 to 37.5mg was OK, but after that withdrawal was hell with dizzyness and nausea. Changing back to 75mg, I still slept well, had a good sense of well being and could still function. With it 20 years now"

Markey September 7, 2015

"So I had been on 75mg in the past for about a year and hadn't faised me to stop taking, anyway years later I found myself extremely depressed to the point I had thought all past experiences of being depressed were nothing in comparison. I went on 75mg to begin with, then 150mg which worked great for me until i too wanted to stop taking after a while because I felt I was at a different point in my life, just missing one day of this drug gives you hell I had bad head aches and a zapping feeling like a wasn't completely sane. So after much research and deciding to tackle this a different way, I have been taking 150mg every second day and 75mg ever other Opposite Day, I've had barely any side effects, I can't wait to finally be effexor free!!"

Nik1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2015

"I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. I have had depression and anxiety since I was 21 years old, and am in my late 40's now. Other anti-depressants caused horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. Plus the medications didn't work that well for me. I have been on Effexor for 8 months, 150 mg. It works wonders for me. I actually like to be around people now. I go places etc... I have a life again, and noticed that I get excited about life. Also, I have lost weight on it. My cravings are gone, I feel full after a meal and full a lot longer after the meal. I am gaining back my energy. I am a woman who was so severely depressed, I couldn't even get out of my recliner, and didn't get dressed most days. What a difference!"

Tol August 29, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've just started 37.5 mg of effexor xr for depression, gad and pd. Im on day 10 and I'm finally getting my energy back. I no longer stay on the couch all day long. Im finding that I have more energy in the am but after lunch the energy slowly fades. But im ok with that!! I was on celexa 30mg for 10 years and i am slowly weaning off that. The celexa work for maby the first 2 years but thats it! I havent tried anything else because I have a fear of taking new meds. I am very proud of myself for taking the plunge and trying something new!! Im happy that I did! I also suffer from chronic daily headaches and migraines which has a huge part of why I have anxiety and depression. I take 40mg of proaponolol and 75mg of amitriptyline as preventive"

kittsykat (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

"I was on 300mg. Of Effexor XR for 3 years and did not realise what it was doing to me until I weaned myself off it. I had constant suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide several times. I had severe alcohol craving and was labelled an alcoholic and had several very expensive stays in re-hab. I suffered horrific nightmares, paranoia and at times had difficulty rationalising what was reality. I lost all ability to handle my finances. My relationships were severely damaged because of this and I almost died 4 times. I have now been off it for 4 months and I am a different person. I no longer have nightmares, suicidal thoughts or crave or drink alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous drug! Avoid it completely! My story is not unique."

Wendy57 August 19, 2015

"I've been on this medicine for going on 5 months now and it's helped and not helped at the same time, I ran out and the 3 days I was off of it my head started feeling funny and I started feeling sick along with suicidal thoughts it was horrible and now I can't get off it, my aunt is on it as well and she's been on it for 20 years her doctor fought to get it off the market for being an addicting drug and potentially harmful as well. But when I'm on it I feel fine for the most part, but if I had to do all over again I would've told my Dr to put me on something else."

scarwal August 14, 2015

"This was indeed the scariest medication ever. I started it and the first two weeks were too much. I had the normal beginning-taking-New-antidepressant side effects but I'd have hallucinations in the dark. Things would move and sway and melt together. It began to make me numb over the five years I took this medicine. I couldn't "feel" anything. All I wanted to do was sleep and sit there and zone out. I felt as though I was in limbo. They tried all doses and absolutely nothing changed. Not only that, I would miss a day and it was a nightmare. Eventually I cut myself off of it in the way the doctor told me to. Scariest experience ever. Worst few weeks of my life. I still had nighttime hallucinations, I felt like I was falling off a skyscraper."

Raven lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

"I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

"I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

"I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

"Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

"I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

"One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015