User Reviews for Effexor XR

Learn more about Effexor XR.

Effexor XR Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor XR to treat Depression

"I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

"Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

"It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

"Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

"I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

"I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

"I have been on Effexor for about 6-7 years now. I started taking 75mg which needed to be increased to 4x 75mg per day as I was in complete terror. This drug saved my life. I would not be here if not for this drug. I tried Amitryptyline, citalopram, and propranolol for many years previously but they did not give me the relief I needed. 1st 2 weeks of taking this drug while off work, I saw the room flip upside down a few times making me fall down in the shower etc. It was a really scary time but once in my system I got great relief almost immediately. My side effects now are just sweating and tiredness but I am on 2 x75mg/day & feel really content. I got down to 75 mg/ day but felt anxious so upped to 2/day. Great drug if it suits you!!!!"

Nic (52) (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

"1/10 would not take again. Felt dizzy nauseous and tired."

Marbling March 10, 2016

"Used it during menopause for extreme emotional distress. That was 15 years ago. It was slowly increased from 33 mg to 225 mg due to ineffectiveness. I finally decided after reading up on it that it wasn't worth the side effects that I had if I ran out or if I wanted to get off. Well, I decided to get off. Please do not go on this drug if there is a chance you will ever want to go off of it. It took me 4 months to wean myself off. This past week was the first week I have been completely off. It has been an excruciating long 4 months. I took my time, but the withdrawal is bad. I can not imagine withdrawal from other drugs being much worse. Feel sick to my stomach, Joints ache beyond belief. Emotionally I am a mess, but I try, I try!"

Jeod (taken for 10 years or more) February 28, 2016

"Gave me my life back. 150mg"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2016

"I've been on this for almost three months at this point for my depression and anxiety. I started at 75 mg, raised to 150 mg, and then lowered back to 75 mg. While it doesn't at all touch my anxiety, I definitely feel a lot better depression-wise. My psychiatrist raised it to 150 mg in the hopes it would help my anxiety, but it didn't so we lowered it and simply added 50 mg of Seroquel XR to help the anxiety. I honestly can't say I really have any side effects. Perhaps I have minor night sweats at times but if there are any side effects I don't really notice them, and I feel satisfied using this for my depression."

Ashley Savage (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2016

"I started experiencing depression and anxiety attacks at around 19 years old. At the time, I didn't quite realize what was wrong with me, I just knew something was horribly wrong. I have tried every medication known to man; celexa, Prozac, cymbalta, pristiq, viibryd, Wellbutrin... And nothing. The emptiness, emotional turmoil, and suffocation I felt was ruining my life. Then in 2011, I started Effexor. I feel alive again, and I never thought I would feel normal again. The one thing I will warn about is the dependency. If you miss one pill, you will think you are coming down with the flu. If you ever decide to stop, you will have to taper off. Adverse effects: constipation, weight loss, vivid dreams, insomnia, sexual dys."

Brooklyn Nichole (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2016

"originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"Only the brand name version of Effexor works for me. Luckily my medical insurance agreed with my doctor and authorized me to continue getting the brand name version. I have found it to be very effective. An Interesting "good side effect" is it helps with my serious face pain. A win win medicine."

Smudge-1229 December 24, 2015

"Initially I had a decrease in my depression but after a year or so it seemed to do nothing however I had a lot of outside factors that could have caused that. I didn't realize until after I got off how much it made me sweat. Sometimes to the level of embarrassment. I also had severe dry mouth and constantly had to drink huge amounts of water. Gained a lot of weight. AS soon as I got off it I started losing weight, was never thirsty and stopped sweating. I think compared to the side affects it wasn't worth it to me."

vicki2468 December 5, 2015

"I have been on 150mg for a little over a month, and I have lost a total of 16lbs already. Which I could use to loose some weight. But I do feel sometimes that I am very fatigued and my memory is lacking."

Reggie75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2015

"Taking Effexor in the beginning was hard to get used to but after 6 months I felt great. Down side is I have headaches and sweat a lot. If I miss more than 4 days then I have withdrawal symptoms. I'm taking 150 mg a day and despite the side effects I wouldn't change a thing. Oh yeah I have also lost weight while taking Effexor."

JD3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2015

"I can explain this drug easily. It will take away your problems, BUT...your sleep won't be effective, you will have extreme memory problems, you won't experience vibrant emotion (it's always dull), did I mention you will be tired literally all day within minutes of waking? You will basically be a living zombie where every action you take feels forced and fake. You will gain a ton of weight. I was a bodybuilder, 200lb 7.5% bodyfat year round. Counted calories constantly. Still did on effexor, counted them all the way up to 4k a day along with 4-6 beers and no weight lifting. I just didn't care. I'm 215lbs at 28% bodyfat. If you don't know what that means, basically I traded a 6-pack for a keg. Went from a size 32 to a size 38. In 8 months"

NameWasTaken (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015

"I am a new person after taking this. I can live and not be in constant despair. It did take a while to work and together with praying the rosary, I have finally reached a state of contentment."

Joycey368 October 10, 2015

"After a suicide attempt that landed me in the hospital's psych ward for three weeks, I was put on Effexor XR and Lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer. This combo has changed my life. It took a few months to get the dosage right (yes, MONTHS), but I'm coming up on two years since I've been hospitalized with little to no problems. I'm 21 and finishing my post-secondary education, hold a part-time job, live on my own, and have loving and supporting relationships. I never thought it would get better until Effexor came around."

NotDepressedAnymore1100 September 28, 2015

"I am currently on 225mg and soon to be bumped up to 300mg, it worked for while but at this time and point I don't feel it is doing as much for me, I don't know why but I feel as if I have built an immunity to it, but this could just be me being crazy Ol me"

Not so normal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2015

"I started with Prozac and could not sleep at all. With Effexor 150mg, I could sleep standing up and was so sedated that I could not function. Withdrawal from 150mg to 75 to 37.5mg was OK, but after that withdrawal was hell with dizzyness and nausea. Changing back to 75mg, I still slept well, had a good sense of well being and could still function. With it 20 years now"

Markey September 7, 2015

"So I had been on 75mg in the past for about a year and hadn't faised me to stop taking, anyway years later I found myself extremely depressed to the point I had thought all past experiences of being depressed were nothing in comparison. I went on 75mg to begin with, then 150mg which worked great for me until i too wanted to stop taking after a while because I felt I was at a different point in my life, just missing one day of this drug gives you hell I had bad head aches and a zapping feeling like a wasn't completely sane. So after much research and deciding to tackle this a different way, I have been taking 150mg every second day and 75mg ever other Opposite Day, I've had barely any side effects, I can't wait to finally be effexor free!!"

Nik1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2015