User Reviews for Forteo

Osteoporosis 23 reviews 190 medications

7.6
Summary of Forteo reviews 23 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Forteo

For Osteoporosis "After 4 months I developed swelling and aching in my fingers, hands, wrist, and ankles. Within 1 month of starting forteo I started experiencing hair loss. It's been over a week since I discontinued the injections but my hands still hurt and my ankles are still swollen. Considering there is no way to determine if the benefits outweigh the risks, I don't feel that it is the right drug for me."

mary-ann-c May 19, 2015

For Osteoporosis "I have not started Forteo yet, but will by Mid May. My Florida Blue will not cover ANY of this medication so I am self pay. I am really shocked to see how many people are using this drug. Husband and I are both retired, though I am not medicare eligible yet, and I will be paying $2000.00/month out of pocket. How have any of you on this site have insurance coverage? Seems a great deal of you are under 65."

Nancy N (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Osteoporosis "Have been on Forteo almost four months. At first I had mild nausea and my appetite was down. But now my body has adjusted to it. Compared to all the other medications I tried... the side effects were nonexistant! Hope to get a good report on my next bone density test."

SkinnyBones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

For Osteoporosis "98 years old with hip fracture and small spinal fractures. After 1.75 years of treatment, the spinal fractures are gone. Some rebuilding of bone mass to the hips. Have to stop in 3 months as two years of use will be reached. Used Calcium L=Threonate instead of other standard types of calcium. It starts dissolving in my mouth if I don't swallow it quickly. Milk is what I use to take it. The extent of bone loss required massive doses of Calcium and Vitamin D3. Calcium L=Threonate was chosen because renal excretion was not its major elimination route in a study reported APS, so kidney stones were not an issue. Received the medication as a grant to low income patients"

S Theresa (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2015

For Osteoporosis "I am female, age 58 years. My bone density for my spine was -3.5 when I started Forteo injections in April 2014. After 6 months my spine improved to -3.0. I just completed by 11th month on Forteo and will have another bone density test at 18 months. I have not experienced any side effects from this medication to date except for some minor back ache the first two weeks of starting the injections, which I am not sure were actually attributed to the medication."

MMCH February 14, 2015

For Osteoporosis "My scores went from -3.9 to a -1.08."

Flash96 November 7, 2014

For Osteoporosis "I started taking Forteo and within 3 days was having side effects (nausea, loose stools, increased body aches and mental confusion). My Dr. asked me to stop for 2 weeks and try again and if side effects persist then I may have to stop all together."

purplehorse August 13, 2014

For Osteoporosis "I am a 55 year old male recently diagnosed with Osteporosis. My Dr. wanted me on Forteo right away. I of course was concerned about side affects due to all of the warnings. Have been on this drug for almost 1 month, no side affects. Also the needle is tiny and short and you cannot feel it. I am hopeful that me next set of tests show improvement."

Ken - Chicago November 3, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I completed a 2 year course of Forteo. No side effects. My T score improved 13%, I was disappointed, thought it would improve 100%!! But, that was successful treatment per doctor. Now have to take an anti-resorptive prescription to slow bone loss. Tried Fosamax 1 x week for 6 weeks and have bone pain in my hands and feet."

Bones better September 9, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. I had no side effects with Forteo, just completed my 2-year regimen in February, 2013. In July of this year, I tripped over a curb and fell onto a concrete sidewalk. I hit very hard, on my cheek (lower part of eye socket), shoulder, knee, and bent my fingers backward as I landed. X-rays showed I suffered from NO broken bones, only soft tissue damage. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to experience the benefits of this medicine."

Nana Linda September 5, 2013

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "T score was -3.5 and progressively getting worse after years of Fosamax. Just finished two years of Forteo. Bone loss has stopped or better, my T score is now -3.1 which means I've turned the corner. I will now be going on Prolea which is 2 shots a year. No idea what the cost of that will be. No after effects from the Forteo."

Mollyrump (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "Starting my 4th pen, no side effects so far."

Anonymous April 3, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hypoparathyroidism "I have been on Forteo 3 months now, I started taking it after a thyroid surgery left my parathyroids damaged. This has kept me out of the hospital and living a happy healthy lifestyle."

susanp68 December 10, 2011

For Osteoporosis "On day 5 of taking Forteo, I got so very sick; in a lot of pain from head to toe. I had nausea severely. I was so hoping this medication would work for me. I had to go to the emergency room from the effects of Forteo. Hope it works for others."

Anonymous October 9, 2011

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "Do to severe bone loss, a fracture in my spine & scoliosis my doctor prescribed Forteo. I seemed fine in the first five months but I began to experience unbearable back pain. I could not lie down in bed at night. This went on for a few weeks. The doctor asked me to stop the Forteo. Four day later the pain subsided. My doctors said the medication was not right for me. I have not had a bone density test yet."

Anonymous August 14, 2011

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I have been using Forteo for 6 months now. I am 60 years old and have had osteoporosis of my hips since I was 50. Other medicines did not help and after I fell this past summer and broke my left hip the doctor suggested Forteo advising me that it was the best and that studies have shown that after treatment is finished bone will be back to normal. "

Anonymous March 15, 2011

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I took this medicine for 2 years, I didn't have any side effects with it. The first year my bones had improved over 25% and the second year there was no improvement. I was disappointed it hadn't improved more in the last year. But was very pleased it had helped overall."

thighs January 8, 2011

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I just started with no side effects. The injections are quite painless and very easy to do. I'm hoping this will help my hips. Only 51 and really need this medicine to help me. Good luck everybody with these. Get strong and healthy bones."

Anonymous June 18, 2010

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I am 94 years old and have osteoporosis and severe scoliosis. After I had several fracture and three spontaneous fractures simultaneously, my doctor recommended Forteo treatment. I received daily injections for two years ending in April,1908. Since that time I have had numerous falls, none of which resulted in a fracture."

Anonymous September 18, 2009

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I took Forteo for 14 months. I had osteopenia of the spine and osteoporosis in my hips. A bone scan showed I had an 11 percent increase in bone density of the spine but a 7 percent decrease in my hips. I am 59 years old and have experienced major bone loss due to having a total hysterectomy and taking prednisone long-term for respiratory problems. Otherwise, I had no other negative side effects."

glory-ann August 29, 2009

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I finished my 21 month Forteo injection program 6 months ago. I was disappointed to learn of only a 10% to 14% improvement in my bones. I was not told so but I believed I would see at least at 50% improvement. "

Anonymous May 2, 2009

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "I am a 60 year young male who is a marathon runner, ( 12 ) in my 50's and was surprised to learn of my weakening bone condition. Thanks to the excellent care from the staff at University and help from Lilly Pharmaceuticals. I have been using Forteo for 14 months and have had no negative side effects. I go for a new bone density scan on 3/09/09 to measure the results. I am always expecting the best, I am training for a marathon and running regularly. I would rather wear out than rust out. Good Luck."

fitnesstouaol.com March 2, 2009

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "What people need to understand is that Forteo is not in the same class as the other osteoporosis medications reviewed. Forteo is the only one which is designed to rebuild bone, the others are designed to stop bone loss.....big difference!"

Anonymous December 14, 2008

215 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Osteoporosis "Not as scary to give youself an injection as everyone seems to think: needles are very tiny, takes a quick minute so. No having to sit upright for 1/2 hour or other limitations. Had no side effects - have used it for 16 months."

Anonymous October 30, 2008

224 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate