User Reviews for Forteo

Learn more about Forteo.

Forteo Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Forteo to treat Osteoporosis

"My Mother was placed on this after broken wrist, broken hip and fractured pelvis. I do believe that this medicine keep her from having a broken shoulder when she fell out of her wheel chair. Granted there was a small hairline fracture. I just know it could have been worse. (she was also a T2 and with dementia). Her Encro had her placed in a study that paid for the medicine."

TinaCG (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2016

"My doctor recommended Forteo to help me with my osteoporosis. I said I did not want to take drugs for my bone loss and so he said to try to naturally re build my bones . He was not happy but I said no drugs! I changed my diet to a high calcium yogurt and raw milk too. Then I got butter by Kery gold which is loaded with vit K2 and great to build bone. Then I got a weight vest to take care of my weight bearing workouts which all doctors recommend. Now a year later my bones are getting stronger and the bone scan shows it . So it can be done . Also do make a bone broth its great for bones and teeth too."

Tippy532 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"My husband has been on Forteo after having 7 spinal compression fractures. Since he started the injections 2 months ago, he has had increasing shortness of breath. Any exertion causes severely labored breathing. This is a dramatic change as he did not have this symptom before. I'm very worried it is the Forteo!"

wife3 January 21, 2016

"My mom is 89 and has been using Forteo for almost 2 years. We are feeling hopeful about the results of her bone density test, as she hasn't had one since before she began the injections. Mom has Medicare and supplementary insurance with AARP but it wasn't covered and was beyond our means. Our doctor's office referred her to aoither Pharmacy, where she qualified for and received an income-based grant! Their customer service is exemplary and they deliver it to our door. I hope this is helpful for some who desperately need it but can't afford it! I can't wait for her bone density test next month (she hasn't had one while on the medication)! I just know it will be a huge improvement!"

PoetNmotion January 20, 2016

"I started Forteo full of optimism that I would be a "10" in experience. The daily shots were fine, no big deal. But after a few days I felt sick all over as if I had the flu. I actually thought, this is how chemo patients feel. I persevered...... Then the pain in my left upper arm started and nearly crippled me. I am 68 and a recently retired physiotherapist who plays tennis, skis, skates, sails, swims, etc etc. I felt horrible and ended up in tears. I saw my doctor, a Rheumatologist, who dismissed me and my symptoms, left me bereft as a hopeless case. I stopped Forteo and it took approx 2 weeks for my left arm pain to go away. I feel great now."

Ottawa Physio January 2, 2016

"I am on forteo for two months. I am not sure if my T score has improved since I haven't taken a BD test yet. However, I have experience many side effects with forteo: 5 min after injection (which I hate), I start feeling tremendous pain at the lowe part of my spine. I found out that I can aleviate this pain by moving around (walking fast) for 15 min. I also discovered a very bad interaction with alcohol. Even a small glass of sangria during dinner, had as a result the development of an extreme pain after injection and inability to move for 45 min. Recently, I have also experienced a similar problem when I was on azythromycin for some mouth infection....Other symptoms I have 2 h after injection are flu-kind symptoms, shivering, insomnia"

Maruska November 4, 2015

"I have osteoporosis. Im 50. Had hysteretomy at 45. Took Forteo for full 2 years after I broken a hip at 47. Dexa showed no improvement. Very disappointed in Forteo."

yoga1 October 19, 2015

"I began taking Forteo December 2 2014 after having neck surgery to remove two discs One week after the surgery I returned for an Xray and the lower part of the plate had come loose from my vertebrate. I was asked if I had fallen, hit my head or any type of accident. I told him I hadn't, then he told me the surgery was a failure. I was put on Forteo 2-1/2 months after my surgery. From the beginning I began having side effects. I've had dizziness resulting in stumbling and falls and bone pain. I opted to stay on it. I have taken a two week break and my symptoms disappeared. I'm debating going back on it."

CattyCritter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2015

"55 year old male. I've always led a vigorous lifestyle of skiing, biking, kayaking. In the last several years I have had 4 broken ribs, and then earlier this year I broke my right clavicle and then left femur from a fall from a latter. I don't know if its working or not ( No follow up screening yet). My initial T score was -3.9 in the lower lumbar region with various values to -2.9. I have experienced bruising at the injection site, skeletal pain, various stomach issues including constipation, diarrhea, but the latest and worse side affect is a ridged pain in my stomach wall."

crickety (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

"I have been injecting Forteo for two full weeks. My back pain is demished significantly and my stamina has improved expeditiously! I feel like there is hope for my future today. I am 63 female with one severe L1 fracture and a new fracture at L8. My scoliosis is the double curved kind and I have two bulges protruding at the twist. One is pushing on my spinal column. My doctor found me a $50.00 co-pay card for this drug but the normal copay this month was $487.00. I can say that I actually feel younger and thankful for the diminished pain and gained stamina. I do feel grateful."

Helen Joy September 9, 2015

"I've only been taking this for about 2 months so I can't really rate this. "

hikathi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

"Mom 86 years old multiple vertebral compression fractures , loss of height 6-8 inches . Advanced lumbar osteoporosis , 45 degree deviation of spine ... Curves to left like a "C" . After six weeks on forteo.... Her spine is almost straight. She has gained weight after being in hospital on 15 day liquid diet for gall bladder removal. surgery. Still a little slumped at shoulders but standing straighter ... Breathing improved pain insignificant compared to before as pain was moderate or greater. Let's see after four months... Don't wait to start this Med if your spine is similar. Six orthopedics doctors never recommended it ... They only look for surgical cases...."

Dovpoet (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"40yr old female! I have Hoshi thyroid disorder. Had a hysterectomy in my mid 20s which is the cause of my osteoporosis. I have been on this going on my 4th month so far no side effects. Small bruising at injection site. I'll have a new scan in about 6 months I feel very hopeful for improved results."

Mikibones (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"I rated this drug a nine because of the weight gain in my midsection. Dr. Says I no longer have osteopenia or osteoporosis, however, I have gained 8 pounds in 10 months despite decreasing my calorie intake and increase in exercise."

Txgirlinkorea July 10, 2015

"I started Forteo 3 months ago after a bad fall I am 55 year old female.I thought At first it was my miracle answer.After starting the meds My health began to decide with frequent infections of thrush, over all weakness after month 3. I'm unable to even go to church which is my life. I play the piano and am praise leader. My pain has gotten worse and it drops my BP way down. I was told to take at bed time and that helped some although I have stumbled and fell a few times due to dizziness.I wonder has anyone else had any negative side effects? I am so scared Lilly and the nurse have been very helpful and call frequently asking for lot numbers and usage ..My OBGYN gave it to me.My PCP Said get off of it?Any Help please?"

Baby bones June 13, 2015

"I gave this medication a 9 despite some uncomfortable side effects because after 6 months of treatment my spine BMD has increased from 3.4 T score to 3.0 T (+ 8 %) but my hip has gotten 5% worse. I experienced a lot of nausea (especially about 2 hours after shot) but I also experienced about 15 pounds of weight gain. Shooting pains in my legs and arms occasionally and small bruising around injection spot sometimes. I am stopping medication for other reasons but I am happy about the 8% gain in my spine after 2 previous painful spinal fractures."

grow (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

"After 4 months I developed swelling and aching in my fingers, hands, wrist, and ankles. Within 1 month of starting forteo I started experiencing hair loss. It's been over a week since I discontinued the injections but my hands still hurt and my ankles are still swollen. Considering there is no way to determine if the benefits outweigh the risks, I don't feel that it is the right drug for me."

mary-ann-c May 19, 2015

"I have not started Forteo yet, but will by Mid May. My Florida Blue will not cover ANY of this medication so I am self pay. I am really shocked to see how many people are using this drug. Husband and I are both retired, though I am not medicare eligible yet, and I will be paying $2000.00/month out of pocket. How have any of you on this site have insurance coverage? Seems a great deal of you are under 65."

Nancy N (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Have been on Forteo almost four months. At first I had mild nausea and my appetite was down. But now my body has adjusted to it. Compared to all the other medications I tried... the side effects were nonexistant! Hope to get a good report on my next bone density test."

SkinnyBones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

"98 years old with hip fracture and small spinal fractures. After 1.75 years of treatment, the spinal fractures are gone. Some rebuilding of bone mass to the hips. Have to stop in 3 months as two years of use will be reached. Used Calcium L=Threonate instead of other standard types of calcium. It starts dissolving in my mouth if I don't swallow it quickly. Milk is what I use to take it. The extent of bone loss required massive doses of Calcium and Vitamin D3. Calcium L=Threonate was chosen because renal excretion was not its major elimination route in a study reported APS, so kidney stones were not an issue. Received the medication as a grant to low income patients"

S Theresa (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2015

"I am female, age 58 years. My bone density for my spine was -3.5 when I started Forteo injections in April 2014. After 6 months my spine improved to -3.0. I just completed by 11th month on Forteo and will have another bone density test at 18 months. I have not experienced any side effects from this medication to date except for some minor back ache the first two weeks of starting the injections, which I am not sure were actually attributed to the medication."

MMCH February 14, 2015

"My scores went from -3.9 to a -1.08."

Flash96 November 7, 2014

"I started taking Forteo and within 3 days was having side effects (nausea, loose stools, increased body aches and mental confusion). My Dr. asked me to stop for 2 weeks and try again and if side effects persist then I may have to stop all together."

purplehorse August 13, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 55 year old male recently diagnosed with Osteporosis. My Dr. wanted me on Forteo right away. I of course was concerned about side affects due to all of the warnings. Have been on this drug for almost 1 month, no side affects. Also the needle is tiny and short and you cannot feel it. I am hopeful that me next set of tests show improvement."

Ken - Chicago November 3, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I completed a 2 year course of Forteo. No side effects. My T score improved 13%, I was disappointed, thought it would improve 100%!! But, that was successful treatment per doctor. Now have to take an anti-resorptive prescription to slow bone loss. Tried Fosamax 1 x week for 6 weeks and have bone pain in my hands and feet."

Bones better September 9, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate