User Reviews for Forteo

Learn more about Forteo.

Forteo review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Forteo to treat Osteoporosis

Review by purplehorse:

I started taking Forteo and within 3 days was having side effects (nausea, loose stools, increased body aches and mental confusion). My Dr. asked me to stop for 2 weeks and try again and if side effects persist then I may have to stop all together.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by Ken - Chicago:

I am a 55 year old male recently diagnosed with Osteporosis. My Dr. wanted me on Forteo right away. I of course was concerned about side affects due to all of the warnings. Have been on this drug for almost 1 month, no side affects. Also the needle is tiny and short and you cannot feel it. I am hopeful that me next set of tests show improvement.

November 3, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by Bones better:

I completed a 2 year course of Forteo. No side effects. My T score improved 13%, I was disappointed, thought it would improve 100%!! But, that was successful treatment per doctor. Now have to take an anti-resorptive prescription to slow bone loss. Tried Fosamax 1 x week for 6 weeks and have bone pain in my hands and feet.

September 9, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Nana Linda:

I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. I had no side effects with Forteo, just completed my 2-year regimen in February, 2013. In July of this year, I tripped over a curb and fell onto a concrete sidewalk. I hit very hard, on my cheek (lower part of eye socket), shoulder, knee, and bent my fingers backward as I landed. X-rays showed I suffered from NO broken bones, only soft tissue damage. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to experience the benefits of this medicine.

September 5, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by Mollyrump (taken for 2 to 5 years):

T score was -3.5 and progressively getting worse after years of Fosamax. Just finished two years of Forteo. Bone loss has stopped or better, my T score is now -3.1 which means I've turned the corner. I will now be going on Prolea which is 2 shots a year. No idea what the cost of that will be. No after effects from the Forteo.

August 13, 2013 10:44 AM

Starting my 4th pen, no side effects so far.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2012 10:49 PM

On day 5 of taking Forteo, I got so very sick; in a lot of pain from head to toe. I had nausea severely. I was so hoping this medication would work for me. I had to go to the emergency room from the effects of Forteo. Hope it works for others.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2011 6:34 PM

Do to severe bone loss, a fracture in my spine & scoliosis my doctor prescribed Forteo. I seemed fine in the first five months but I began to experience unbearable back pain. I could not lie down in bed at night. This went on for a few weeks. The doctor asked me to stop the Forteo. Four day later the pain subsided. My doctors said the medication was not right for me. I have not had a bone density test yet.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2011 11:26 PM

I have been using Forteo for 6 months now. I am 60 years old and have had osteoporosis of my hips since I was 50. Other medicines did not help and after I fell this past summer and broke my left hip the doctor suggested Forteo advising me that it was the best and that studies have shown that after treatment is finished bone will be back to normal.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2011 10:02 AM

Review by thighs:

I took this medicine for 2 years, I didn't have any side effects with it. The first year my bones had improved over 25% and the second year there was no improvement. I was disappointed it hadn't improved more in the last year. But was very pleased it had helped overall.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2011 9:27 PM

I just started with no side effects. The injections are quite painless and very easy to do. I'm hoping this will help my hips. Only 51 and really need this medicine to help me. Good luck everybody with these. Get strong and healthy bones.

June 18, 2010 10:55 PM

I am 94 years old and have osteoporosis and severe scoliosis. After I had several fracture and three spontaneous fractures simultaneously, my doctor recommended Forteo treatment. I received daily injections for two years ending in April,1908. Since that time I have had numerous falls, none of which resulted in a fracture.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2009 1:58 PM

Review by glory-ann:

I took Forteo for 14 months. I had osteopenia of the spine and osteoporosis in my hips. A bone scan showed I had an 11 percent increase in bone density of the spine but a 7 percent decrease in my hips. I am 59 years old and have experienced major bone loss due to having a total hysterectomy and taking prednisone long-term for respiratory problems. Otherwise, I had no other negative side effects.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2009 1:48 AM

I finished my 21 month Forteo injection program 6 months ago. I was disappointed to learn of only a 10% to 14% improvement in my bones. I was not told so but I believed I would see at least at 50% improvement.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2009 10:28 PM

Review by fitnesstouaol.com:

I am a 60 year young male who is a marathon runner, ( 12 ) in my 50's and was surprised to learn of my weakening bone condition. Thanks to the excellent care from the staff at University and help from Lilly Pharmaceuticals. I have been using Forteo for 14 months and have had no negative side effects. I go for a new bone density scan on 3/09/09 to measure the results. I am always expecting the best, I am training for a marathon and running regularly. I would rather wear out than rust out. Good Luck.

March 2, 2009 9:42 AM

What people need to understand is that Forteo is not in the same class as the other osteoporosis medications reviewed. Forteo is the only one which is designed to rebuild bone, the others are designed to stop bone loss.....big difference!

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2008 9:42 AM

Not as scary to give youself an injection as everyone seems to think: needles are very tiny, takes a quick minute so. No having to sit upright for 1/2 hour or other limitations. Had no side effects - have used it for 16 months.

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2008 3:26 PM