User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Learn more about Tamoxifen.

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 1 reviews 18 medications

Precocious Puberty 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Tamoxifen reviews 23 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Tamoxifen

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Breast Cancer: I'm on my 6th year taking Tamoxifen. I was on it for 5 years, and stopped - at that time it was thought I should only take it for 5yrs. A year after being off and the new research came out that I should do it another 5 years. I've been back on now for about 6 months and I'm seriously considering stopping. Side effects are so bad that I'm having a hard time getting through life. Mood swings and bone pain are my 2 main issues. The thing is, I'm cancer free and of course want to stay that way. I think that if my Doctors were more realistic (honest) about the side effects it would be a little easier to deal with them. Reading some of the statements here is helpful actually - I feel a little less alone.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by queen lala:

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I have been taking tamoxifen for less than a month. I have had fatigue, chills, shortness of breath, night sweats, blurred vision, difficulty sleeping. It seems as if I get over one side effect and here comes another. I feel like I am going crazy. I am trying to stick with it, but it keeps changing.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by Quiltartist (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I have taken Tamoxifen for 5 years. Side effects are severe sweating and depression. I have been taking Effexor XR longer than I have been on Tamoxifen. My Oncologist increased the Effexor dosage from 75 mg to 150 mg per day. She assure me the Effexor and Black Cohoosh would STOP the sweating...NOT. SWEATING INCREASED AND I AM MORE DEPRESSED THAN EVER. I had a sonogram last month that revealed a very small fibroid and fluid in my uterus. Got an appointment with GYN next week to see how she wants to handle the uterus problem.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by Gemini2715:

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I have been on it for almost 2 months. Had some night sweats but continue with fatigue, dizziness, some sadness, short temper. I am supplementing with Vit E and B6 daily. I will give it more time but not sure I will manage 5 yrs. I certainly do not wish to go on additional pills to manage side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by Lala1234567458:

For Breast Cancer: I am 41. I had been on Effexor for a couple of years, so when I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer I carried on with the medication. I started taking Tamoxifen about a month ago. So far I am very fatigued, have headaches and some physical aches and pains. I take my Tamoxifen in the morning, with my breakfast, because that seems to calm the nausea that I can get with an empty stomach. The best thing that I am experiencing now that I am on the Tamoxifen is the ability to cry and work through emotion. That ability had left me while I was just on the Effexor, I still felt sad, but didn't feel like I could cry. Well the tears come now, and they feel cleansing and good. I have much less anxiety about having a cancer re-occurrence.

June 27, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by Kcyorkie (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: Hot flushes not to bad, suffer from fatigue and bone pain, but the medicine makes me feel safe.

May 3, 2014 7:09 PM

Review by HOT HOT HOT (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Breast Cancer: The wisest decision I can share is changing WHEN I take the tamoxifen. I decided that sleep was imperative in order to deal with the side effects. I take the tamoxifen during the day I live in CA so temp- wise this is a good thing to do. Running hot is an understatement. Skin and hair have taken a hit as the hips have improved. Suspect no juice to connective tissues is the reason also arthritis has shown up in both knees. One perk? Evenness of mood after 2 years. My 10 rating? No recurrence as of 2.5 years.

May 2, 2014 11:50 PM

For Breast Cancer: I'm 29, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer when I was 26. I probably have been on Tamoxifen for a year. I have a hard time taking it regularly because of the side effects. The hot flashes are almost unbearable, my mood swings push people away, my sex drive has decreased extensively. I am taking this medicine to prevent my cancer from returning. I have a 3 year old boy that I live and breath each day for and the reason I will continue taking medicine. But Tamoxifen does make me miserable.

March 19, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nolvadex (tamoxifen) for Breast Cancer: Bones hurt a lot, hot flashes were really bad.

February 14, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by DOLSSON (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Tamoxifen for four months now & have been told I will be taking it for the standard 5yrs. I have had hot flashes, no period (that stopped after my second Chemo in April 2013), sex drive has disappeared (also from Chemo & Tamoxifen combined) and I have had pelvic pain (tend to be more apparent when I lay on my back), joint pain(in my elbow and where legs join pelvic) and lower back pain. I am hoping that some of these side effects will soon subside. Wow, it is amazing all the different side effects that Tamoxifen causes for people. Reading a lot of these comments has made me now realize that all the pains & aches I have been having, truly are side effects from the Tamoxifen. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

January 29, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by cmanuel (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I have been on Tamoxifen for a year now, in the beginning I was very depressed, night sweats and hot flashes and severe sweating, my doctor gave me Paxil for the hot flashes and depression. It has helped with my depression but still hot hot hot!! I keep thinking I want to get off of it because it makes me yawn A LOT whether i'm tired or not but my mood is so much better i'm afraid i will start feeling bad again,

October 30, 2013 9:37 PM

Review by D Leadbeater (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I have take tamoxifen for 6 months now, few side effects but bearable on this, very happy with them.

July 30, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by Guardian angel 43:

For Breast Cancer: I was on Tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years after I had my chemo. There were a lot of side effects after stopping estrogen, dry skin, loss of libido, edgy feeling. When I started taking Tamoxifen I felt much better. I didn't feel edgy as the Tamoxifen tricked my body into feeling like it had estrogen. I had hot flashes but did not feel them. My friends would tell me I must have had a hot flash because my face turned red, I highly recommend this medicine. I felt much better on it.

July 11, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by iSurvivor:

For Breast Cancer: I am going on 5 years taking this medication religiously. I was diagnosed with Stage 2B ductal carcinoma, invading my chest wall and 3 lymph nodes in 2008. So far, cancer free. The side effects are minimal. My skin is drier and I do feel aged but I also had my ovaries removed after testing for BRCA2 so I think it might be due to that also. I want to continue taking for another 5 years since I'm only 34.

May 31, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by tgreen59 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: I am taking tamoxifen for two months now. But is not easy due to so many side effects. You need a lots of encouragement from family and friends to keep going. This medicine has so many side effects. Some of the side effects are fatigue, hot flashes, short temper, sadness, dizziness, anger and many more. The other day my son and my daughter came to me to ask if I was drinking. They said that I looked so angry the night before and they were worried about me. I never drink so I told them about the medicine.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2013 3:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Breast Cancer: I took Tamoxifen for 5 years with very little side effects. I had some weight gain, but nothing I could not handle. I had hot flashes in the beginning, but finally went away.

March 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by merrimansf1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Breast Cancer: Going on month two now... It made me very tired (loss of vitality) but it is much better now; had constipation but increased my fiber, water and exercise - all is well as long as I do this; joint pain in my hips but is better with the exercise, nausea - I had a little when I started, it got better and now it is back and worse - I have started taking Pepto-Bismol and it has helped - you can try mint (candy, gum); anxiety - happens occasionally but so far tolerable. It is always best to speak to your health professional before trying the above.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2012 1:11 PM

For : I started taking this medicine after abnormal mammogram and biopsy found precancerous cells. I have really bad hot flashes several times a month, some joint and leg pain. My menstrual cycle is regular but I experience nose bleeds the week before. My hair started to thin about 3 months after starting this medication, that has pretty much subsided and I am going on one year now. I do get a little more irritable than usual but all in all things are pretty manageable now. So only 4 years to go!

January 5, 2012 9:21 PM

For Breast Cancer: Medicine works well. I was really scared initially but with my family and friends support, I gained strength. It worked like magic. I feel really better now. Had some start up issues but my body gelled well with the medicine. I am glad I took the medicine.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2011 6:12 AM

For Breast Cancer: This medicine is like playing a game. "Side effect Roulette". It is a quality of life issue. Yes, it may extend your life, but it makes you misearble while you are getting there. Hot Flashes, Severe Sweating, Insomnia, Severe Constipation, NO Menstrual Periods, it has stopped it completely, Bone Pain, Light Headness, unsteadiness, nausea....I fear what I am going to experience next. This constipation HAS to go.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2010 6:44 AM

Review by tlcreath:

For Breast Cancer: Though this medicine may give you a chance at living longer, the mood swings are massive. I feel depressed and have no energy. I am always nauseous. Everything hurts. My sex drive is basically gone and my periods are slight if not altogether absent. I have shrunk inside a bit so now sex is painful. I have hot flashes that keep me awake at night and make me very unhappy during the day.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2010 5:23 PM

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Tamoxifen for 10months now..I have had hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, heavy menstrual bleeding, discharge, headaches and now back pain. But I want to decrease my chance of possibly getting invasive Breast Cancer or DCIS in my other breast..so will continue to take it.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2010 11:51 AM

Review by rboyle12tampabay.rr.com:

For Breast Cancer: I have gained 13 lbs since taking this medicine. This is the only side effect.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2009 1:11 PM

Review by bernicekotze:

Nolvadex (tamoxifen) for Breast Cancer: Positive and Negative points . Makes you gain weight, feel moody and bloated. Fluid retention is bad.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2009 3:21 PM