User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Learn more about Tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Tamoxifen to treat Breast Cancer

"I started taking Tamoxifen in September of 2013. The side effects kicked in after about a week. My fingers completely seized up and if I crouched down I couldn't get up again! The joint pain was unbearable so my oncologist decided to take me off it for 6 months. He then introduced it gradually, 10mg a day instead of 20mg. So far so good! After 6 months of that he put me back up to the full dose and the pain didn't return! I've been on it ever since. My periods are here and there but are quite heavy and painful when I do get them. I wish they'd just stop. Just keeping everything crossed that the cancer stays away. Good luck to all you fellow survivors and keep fighting the fight! "

Neekie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

"I've been on this drug for nine miserable months now. I had said I would try it for one year and I'm not sure I can make that. It appears that quality of life is not something my doctor cares about. It's almost as if he's being paid by the tamoxifen people because he won't even listen to anything negative about the drug. My hot flashes are unbelievable. My joint pain makes it difficult to walk. I haven't slept in nearly a year. This drug makes life not worth living."

I hate Tamoxifen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

"I had Stage 1 IDC Breast Cancer, diagnosed in June 2013, mastectomies in August 2013, started tamoxifen October 2013. After experiencing stomach digestive issues I went off it in March 2014 until August, then back on and have been on it ever since. So almost 1 year straight, but another 5 months of it before that as well. My biggest complaint is feeling so wiped out by the end of the day. I take it at night when going to bed, usually 10pm-ish. Does anyone think switching the time I take the pill will matter? I have also noticed a 5-10 pound weight gain. I'm very active and fit - lift weights, run, do crossfit. I have found that the side effects of this drug are forcing me to live and eat cleaner to try and reduce them."

CarrieFitz July 27, 2015

"I have male breast cancer. I do find it uncomfortable to only read about ladies issues, but understandable. I have found that I feel depressed, and mood swings for sure. Upset tummy is common, so try to keep hydrated. Seem to get lethargic, tired around 3-5pm, but take my medication just before bed, 10-11pm. May consider changing this. Given the alternatives and worrying how my family would cope without me as the bread winner, makes the decision to continue to take it an easy one. I am not going to give in to it. I'm 59, and lost my brother to it aged 39. Played my first 70 min game of tennis today in 14 months, and really found it made a difference. So maybe keeping fit is one way of fighting back."

Silverfox 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2015

"I've been on Tamoxifen for a year now. A few joint aches but all in all not too many problems. When I started the medicine I was a Pescitarian( only at fish or seafood) I have maybe two hot flashes at night. I take my pill at 5pm daily. I too was told I need to be on it for 10 years. Considering the alternative, I don't have too many bad things to say about it. Glad to be cancer free!! Hope this keeps me that way. Turning 50 in three days!!"

Jillbean34 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2015

"I'm on my 6th year taking Tamoxifen. I was on it for 5 years, and stopped - at that time it was thought I should only take it for 5yrs. A year after being off and the new research came out that I should do it another 5 years. I've been back on now for about 6 months and I'm seriously considering stopping. Side effects are so bad that I'm having a hard time getting through life. Mood swings and bone pain are my 2 main issues. The thing is, I'm cancer free and of course want to stay that way. I think that if my Doctors were more realistic (honest) about the side effects it would be a little easier to deal with them. Reading some of the statements here is helpful actually - I feel a little less alone."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

"I am 41. I had been on Effexor for a couple of years, so when I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer I carried on with the medication. I started taking Tamoxifen about a month ago. So far I am very fatigued, have headaches and some physical aches and pains. I take my Tamoxifen in the morning, with my breakfast, because that seems to calm the nausea that I can get with an empty stomach. The best thing that I am experiencing now that I am on the Tamoxifen is the ability to cry and work through emotion. That ability had left me while I was just on the Effexor, I still felt sad, but didn't feel like I could cry. Well the tears come now, and they feel cleansing and good. I have much less anxiety about having a cancer re-occurrence."

Lala1234567458 June 27, 2014

"The wisest decision I can share is changing WHEN I take the tamoxifen. I decided that sleep was imperative in order to deal with the side effects. I take the tamoxifen during the day I live in CA so temp- wise this is a good thing to do. Running hot is an understatement. Skin and hair have taken a hit as the hips have improved. Suspect no juice to connective tissues is the reason also arthritis has shown up in both knees. One perk? Evenness of mood after 2 years. My 10 rating? No recurrence as of 2.5 years."

HOT HOT HOT (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2014

"I'm 29, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer when I was 26. I probably have been on Tamoxifen for a year. I have a hard time taking it regularly because of the side effects. The hot flashes are almost unbearable, my mood swings push people away, my sex drive has decreased extensively. I am taking this medicine to prevent my cancer from returning. I have a 3 year old boy that I live and breath each day for and the reason I will continue taking medicine. But Tamoxifen does make me miserable."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

Nolvadex (tamoxifen): "Bones hurt a lot, hot flashes were really bad."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2014

"I have been on Tamoxifen for four months now & have been told I will be taking it for the standard 5yrs. I have had hot flashes, no period (that stopped after my second Chemo in April 2013), sex drive has disappeared (also from Chemo & Tamoxifen combined) and I have had pelvic pain (tend to be more apparent when I lay on my back), joint pain(in my elbow and where legs join pelvic) and lower back pain. I am hoping that some of these side effects will soon subside. Wow, it is amazing all the different side effects that Tamoxifen causes for people. Reading a lot of these comments has made me now realize that all the pains & aches I have been having, truly are side effects from the Tamoxifen. It's nice to know I'm not alone! "

DOLSSON (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2014

"I was on Tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years after I had my chemo. There were a lot of side effects after stopping estrogen, dry skin, loss of libido, edgy feeling. When I started taking Tamoxifen I felt much better. I didn't feel edgy as the Tamoxifen tricked my body into feeling like it had estrogen. I had hot flashes but did not feel them. My friends would tell me I must have had a hot flash because my face turned red, I highly recommend this medicine. I felt much better on it."

Guardian angel 43 July 11, 2013

"I am going on 5 years taking this medication religiously. I was diagnosed with Stage 2B ductal carcinoma, invading my chest wall and 3 lymph nodes in 2008. So far, cancer free. The side effects are minimal. My skin is drier and I do feel aged but I also had my ovaries removed after testing for BRCA2 so I think it might be due to that also. I want to continue taking for another 5 years since I'm only 34."

iSurvivor May 31, 2013

"I took Tamoxifen for 5 years with very little side effects. I had some weight gain, but nothing I could not handle. I had hot flashes in the beginning, but finally went away."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2013

"Going on month two now... It made me very tired (loss of vitality) but it is much better now; had constipation but increased my fiber, water and exercise - all is well as long as I do this; joint pain in my hips but is better with the exercise, nausea - I had a little when I started, it got better and now it is back and worse - I have started taking Pepto-Bismol and it has helped - you can try mint (candy, gum); anxiety - happens occasionally but so far tolerable. It is always best to speak to your health professional before trying the above."

merrimansf1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2012

"Medicine works well. I was really scared initially but with my family and friends support, I gained strength. It worked like magic. I feel really better now. Had some start up issues but my body gelled well with the medicine. I am glad I took the medicine."

Anonymous December 16, 2011

"This medicine is like playing a game. "Side effect Roulette". It is a quality of life issue. Yes, it may extend your life, but it makes you misearble while you are getting there. Hot Flashes, Severe Sweating, Insomnia, Severe Constipation, NO Menstrual Periods, it has stopped it completely, Bone Pain, Light Headness, unsteadiness, nausea....I fear what I am going to experience next. This constipation HAS to go."

Anonymous October 12, 2010

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Though this medicine may give you a chance at living longer, the mood swings are massive. I feel depressed and have no energy. I am always nauseous. Everything hurts. My sex drive is basically gone and my periods are slight if not altogether absent. I have shrunk inside a bit so now sex is painful. I have hot flashes that keep me awake at night and make me very unhappy during the day."

tlcreath September 1, 2010

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Tamoxifen for 10months now..I have had hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, heavy menstrual bleeding, discharge, headaches and now back pain. But I want to decrease my chance of possibly getting invasive Breast Cancer or DCIS in my other breast..so will continue to take it."

Anonymous March 4, 2010

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have gained 13 lbs since taking this medicine. This is the only side effect."

rboyle12tampabay.rr.com August 6, 2009

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Nolvadex (tamoxifen): "Positive and Negative points . Makes you gain weight, feel moody and bloated. Fluid retention is bad."

bernicekotze April 22, 2009

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Breast Cancer