User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Learn more about Tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Tamoxifen to treat Breast Cancer

Review by Lala1234567458:

I am 41. I had been on Effexor for a couple of years, so when I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer I carried on with the medication. I started taking Tamoxifen about a month ago. So far I am very fatigued, have headaches and some physical aches and pains. I take my Tamoxifen in the morning, with my breakfast, because that seems to calm the nausea that I can get with an empty stomach. The best thing that I am experiencing now that I am on the Tamoxifen is the ability to cry and work through emotion. That ability had left me while I was just on the Effexor, I still felt sad, but didn't feel like I could cry. Well the tears come now, and they feel cleansing and good. I have much less anxiety about having a cancer re-occurrence.

June 27, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by HOT HOT HOT (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The wisest decision I can share is changing WHEN I take the tamoxifen. I decided that sleep was imperative in order to deal with the side effects. I take the tamoxifen during the day I live in CA so temp- wise this is a good thing to do. Running hot is an understatement. Skin and hair have taken a hit as the hips have improved. Suspect no juice to connective tissues is the reason also arthritis has shown up in both knees. One perk? Evenness of mood after 2 years. My 10 rating? No recurrence as of 2.5 years.

May 2, 2014 11:50 PM

I'm 29, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer when I was 26. I probably have been on Tamoxifen for a year. I have a hard time taking it regularly because of the side effects. The hot flashes are almost unbearable, my mood swings push people away, my sex drive has decreased extensively. I am taking this medicine to prevent my cancer from returning. I have a 3 year old boy that I live and breath each day for and the reason I will continue taking medicine. But Tamoxifen does make me miserable.

March 19, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Nolvadex (tamoxifen): Bones hurt a lot, hot flashes were really bad.

February 14, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by DOLSSON (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Tamoxifen for four months now & have been told I will be taking it for the standard 5yrs. I have had hot flashes, no period (that stopped after my second Chemo in April 2013), sex drive has disappeared (also from Chemo & Tamoxifen combined) and I have had pelvic pain (tend to be more apparent when I lay on my back), joint pain(in my elbow and where legs join pelvic) and lower back pain. I am hoping that some of these side effects will soon subside. Wow, it is amazing all the different side effects that Tamoxifen causes for people. Reading a lot of these comments has made me now realize that all the pains & aches I have been having, truly are side effects from the Tamoxifen. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

January 29, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Guardian angel 43:

I was on Tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years after I had my chemo. There were a lot of side effects after stopping estrogen, dry skin, loss of libido, edgy feeling. When I started taking Tamoxifen I felt much better. I didn't feel edgy as the Tamoxifen tricked my body into feeling like it had estrogen. I had hot flashes but did not feel them. My friends would tell me I must have had a hot flash because my face turned red, I highly recommend this medicine. I felt much better on it.

July 11, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by iSurvivor:

I am going on 5 years taking this medication religiously. I was diagnosed with Stage 2B ductal carcinoma, invading my chest wall and 3 lymph nodes in 2008. So far, cancer free. The side effects are minimal. My skin is drier and I do feel aged but I also had my ovaries removed after testing for BRCA2 so I think it might be due to that also. I want to continue taking for another 5 years since I'm only 34.

May 31, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I took Tamoxifen for 5 years with very little side effects. I had some weight gain, but nothing I could not handle. I had hot flashes in the beginning, but finally went away.

March 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by merrimansf1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Going on month two now... It made me very tired (loss of vitality) but it is much better now; had constipation but increased my fiber, water and exercise - all is well as long as I do this; joint pain in my hips but is better with the exercise, nausea - I had a little when I started, it got better and now it is back and worse - I have started taking Pepto-Bismol and it has helped - you can try mint (candy, gum); anxiety - happens occasionally but so far tolerable. It is always best to speak to your health professional before trying the above.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2012 1:11 PM

Medicine works well. I was really scared initially but with my family and friends support, I gained strength. It worked like magic. I feel really better now. Had some start up issues but my body gelled well with the medicine. I am glad I took the medicine.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2011 6:12 AM

This medicine is like playing a game. "Side effect Roulette". It is a quality of life issue. Yes, it may extend your life, but it makes you misearble while you are getting there. Hot Flashes, Severe Sweating, Insomnia, Severe Constipation, NO Menstrual Periods, it has stopped it completely, Bone Pain, Light Headness, unsteadiness, nausea....I fear what I am going to experience next. This constipation HAS to go.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2010 6:44 AM

Review by tlcreath:

Though this medicine may give you a chance at living longer, the mood swings are massive. I feel depressed and have no energy. I am always nauseous. Everything hurts. My sex drive is basically gone and my periods are slight if not altogether absent. I have shrunk inside a bit so now sex is painful. I have hot flashes that keep me awake at night and make me very unhappy during the day.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2010 5:23 PM

I have been on Tamoxifen for 10months now..I have had hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, heavy menstrual bleeding, discharge, headaches and now back pain. But I want to decrease my chance of possibly getting invasive Breast Cancer or DCIS in my other breast..so will continue to take it.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2010 11:51 AM

Review by rboyle12tampabay.rr.com:

I have gained 13 lbs since taking this medicine. This is the only side effect.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2009 1:11 PM

Review by bernicekotze:

Nolvadex (tamoxifen): Positive and Negative points . Makes you gain weight, feel moody and bloated. Fluid retention is bad.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2009 3:21 PM