User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Simvastatin Review Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Simvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"I've been on Simvastatin 10mg for the last 6 months. I've noticed the last 4 months or so severe pain in my legs & hips. I can barely move sometimes. Sleeping is very painful at night. There is a stiffness and I can barely move without pain. I'm going off this Cholesterol medication. Calling my Dr soon! I have not had my blood work rechecked yet so I don't know what my numbers are."

Carolyn97 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2015

"Taking drug for over 24 years...Past three years complained to doctors of breathing problems...recently told of kidney function defect...No mention of simvastatin concerns. I checked internet and am convinced side effects mentioned are taking place. I am going to different doctor to check out concerns"

pocono0001 July 20, 2015

"I took this drug for 3 months. I just stopped it now with doctor's approval. I stopped because I was getting tightness in my chest, burning sensations on my skin, sore breasts, and was getting depressed. Yes it did lower my cholesterol, but it's not worth it to me if it causes depression. Apparently, this drug can inhibit serotonin production. If you have any history of depressive disorder, I would NOT take this drug. My father took the pill as well, but just stopped because he has had trouble with walking this year. He had burning sensations down his legs this year. We think his walking troubles *may* have something to do with Simvastatin. Perhaps Simvastatin doesn't hurt everyone, but my opinion of it is poor. Trust your gut."

RoseMarion (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "I am currently on 20mg Zocor and started taking it six months ago. After I got my cholesterol checked again, the LDL went down 90 points! No side effects."

Jamie Lee July 2, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Started this med about 11 years ago. It dropped my level to below avg. I always associated my aches and pains to my age and activity level, but I've discontinued its use for about 3 weeks because my finger joints felt swollen and arthritic. I'm starting to feel a slow improvement. My additional symptoms are sore hips and other joints. To be fair, I won't be able to discern whether this is the drug or some other factor until staying off it longer."

JohnGotts (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2015

"I am 59 , very active, on thyroid and blood pressure medication for at least a year. All was good. Started taking simvastatin due cholesterol results. Took one at night after dinner 20 mg for two days. On the second day, while driving , I was getting extremely sleepy. Kept waking myself up by slapping my face. I had a blank moment while driving...woke up when the car hit a kerb with a thud!. Obviously now I don't think I will take this simvastatin. I will have to tell my doctor that she almost lost her patient and took a few other people off ."

Ditasnz June 27, 2015

"have taken Simvastin 80mg for eight years. Cholestrol level is down and stable. I wake up some nights around 3pm.wide awake.I get irritable and angry at times..high tummy pains.some days the need to urinate quite often.I didnt realise until reading information here that it may be the statins causing these side effects. All in all im happy with the results."

happy 64 yr old June 18, 2015

"Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last."

pepziman April 4, 2015

"I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects."

Phil1168 February 25, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations."

wooddmann January 18, 2015

"Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level."

Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud. "

Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2014

"About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough."

Louie135 April 7, 2014

"Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction."

moof (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2013

"I have been taking this pill for almost a year. Recently I noticed my hair feels so fine, so tonight I have stopped it. I will call my Doc in the morning. I also have felt dizzy have vision problems. This has just started in the past week. Dizzy I can handle, losing hair, not so much!"

SKBrus November 18, 2013

"Taking this medication and having leg cramps that became severe. Did not know the source of the cramps at night. Stopped for a month and leg cramps disappeared. Started again and immediately had night leg cramps, severe enough to get me out of bed over and over again."

Chas54 November 17, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "It worked and no side effects that I noticed."

frankske (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "Only been taking for about two weeks. Feel lethargic, achy, headache, hot flashes are worse. Depression, occasional stomach pain. Muscle pain."

#345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Since I started taking simvastatin 20mg at bedtime, I am not sleeping well, joint pain, tiredness and my acid reflux is so bad I cant stand it anymore. Not sure if the simvastatin is the problem, but was not having the issues with my acid reflux while taking my nexium until I started taking simvastatin. Talked with my pharmacy and they told me that the simvastatin does not worsen acid reflux, it does seems funny, I was not having a problem with it until I started taking the simvastatin."

t.miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "This statin cause extreme pain in my knee and hip."

kim k (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "This about the 4th time they have tried me on Statins... after a week on Zocor, have severe backaches, muscles aches, and pains in my wrists where I previously had carpel tunnel surgery. I have been on it about a week. I will stop it, since I trust my bodies response to these medicines. If you experience problems with any medicine don't keep taking it without telling your doctor."

Chuck08854 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was prescribed simvastation for elevated cholesterol and family history of atherosclerosis. It was very effective in lowering my cholesterol and my side effects were minimal. I did experience insomnia after several weeks which became increasingly worse over the two years I have been taking it. I was doing good to get five hours of sleep each night, sometimes only three, however never felt tired. I have decided to stop taking it for awhile and am now sleeping a full eight hours and feeling less "edgy". Hope to lower cholesterol with exercise and diet."

Sleepless I Indiana (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2012

"I have been on Simvastatin (5mg/day) for a month. It has worked wonders. My High Cholesterol is family related, and without much change to my diet (besides raisin brand for cereal, and more tea), it has lowered significantly within a month. My HDL was 37, it is now 45. My LDL was 173, and is now 91. My Total Cholesterol had been 234, and it is now 154. This is great news for me, and I have not had any side effects that I have been able to feel as of yet (possibly because I'm on such a low dose). I only have rave reviews for Simvastatin."

SumnerE September 28, 2012

"I am on 20mg. I take it right before I go to bed. After 15 minutes my heart starts racing. However, I have no problems falling asleep. If I had to take this in the morning I wouldn't be able to stand the racing heart. Other than that, I feel good so far. My cholesterol was 204 & triglycerides are at 130. I am 43 and have started walking 3 miles at a good pace 5-6 days a week. Drinking lots of water and no caffeine. I have just had my next blood work since being on this medicine, so we'll see if it's doing it's job."

Tagheart (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2012

"It lowered my cholesterol from 258 to 221 after one month but I have numbness in my extremities and pain in my ankles. I wake up with numb limbs and sore ankles. Everyday since I started taking this."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2012