User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Simvastatin review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 263 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Simvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Review by pepziman:

Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2015 3:00 PM

Review by Phil1168:

I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 10:30 AM

Review by wooddmann:

Zocor (simvastatin): Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations.

January 18, 2015 11:56 AM

Review by Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zocor (simvastatin): The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud.

December 26, 2014 7:56 AM

Review by Louie135:

About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough.

April 7, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by moof (taken for less than 1 month):

Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction.

December 28, 2013 7:26 PM

Review by SKBrus:

I have been taking this pill for almost a year. Recently I noticed my hair feels so fine, so tonight I have stopped it. I will call my Doc in the morning. I also have felt dizzy have vision problems. This has just started in the past week. Dizzy I can handle, losing hair, not so much!

November 18, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by Chas54:

Taking this medication and having leg cramps that became severe. Did not know the source of the cramps at night. Stopped for a month and leg cramps disappeared. Started again and immediately had night leg cramps, severe enough to get me out of bed over and over again.

November 17, 2013 7:34 AM

Review by frankske (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zocor (simvastatin): It worked and no side effects that I noticed.

September 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Review by #345 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zocor (simvastatin): Only been taking for about two weeks. Feel lethargic, achy, headache, hot flashes are worse. Depression, occasional stomach pain. Muscle pain.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2013 3:48 PM

Review by t.miller (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Since I started taking simvastatin 20mg at bedtime, I am not sleeping well, joint pain, tiredness and my acid reflux is so bad I cant stand it anymore. Not sure if the simvastatin is the problem, but was not having the issues with my acid reflux while taking my nexium until I started taking simvastatin. Talked with my pharmacy and they told me that the simvastatin does not worsen acid reflux, it does seems funny, I was not having a problem with it until I started taking the simvastatin.

July 11, 2013 6:50 PM

Review by kim k (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zocor (simvastatin): This statin cause extreme pain in my knee and hip.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 11:06 AM

Review by Chuck08854 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zocor (simvastatin): This about the 4th time they have tried me on Statins... after a week on Zocor, have severe backaches, muscles aches, and pains in my wrists where I previously had carpel tunnel surgery. I have been on it about a week. I will stop it, since I trust my bodies response to these medicines. If you experience problems with any medicine don't keep taking it without telling your doctor.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 11:26 AM

Review by Sleepless I Indiana (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Was prescribed simvastation for elevated cholesterol and family history of atherosclerosis. It was very effective in lowering my cholesterol and my side effects were minimal. I did experience insomnia after several weeks which became increasingly worse over the two years I have been taking it. I was doing good to get five hours of sleep each night, sometimes only three, however never felt tired. I have decided to stop taking it for awhile and am now sleeping a full eight hours and feeling less "edgy". Hope to lower cholesterol with exercise and diet.

November 15, 2012 11:45 PM

Review by SumnerE:

I have been on Simvastatin (5mg/day) for a month. It has worked wonders. My High Cholesterol is family related, and without much change to my diet (besides raisin brand for cereal, and more tea), it has lowered significantly within a month. My HDL was 37, it is now 45. My LDL was 173, and is now 91. My Total Cholesterol had been 234, and it is now 154. This is great news for me, and I have not had any side effects that I have been able to feel as of yet (possibly because I'm on such a low dose). I only have rave reviews for Simvastatin.

September 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Review by Tagheart (taken for less than 1 month):

I am on 20mg. I take it right before I go to bed. After 15 minutes my heart starts racing. However, I have no problems falling asleep. If I had to take this in the morning I wouldn't be able to stand the racing heart. Other than that, I feel good so far. My cholesterol was 204 & triglycerides are at 130. I am 43 and have started walking 3 miles at a good pace 5-6 days a week. Drinking lots of water and no caffeine. I have just had my next blood work since being on this medicine, so we'll see if it's doing it's job.

September 21, 2012 9:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It lowered my cholesterol from 258 to 221 after one month but I have numbness in my extremities and pain in my ankles. I wake up with numb limbs and sore ankles. Everyday since I started taking this.

September 18, 2012 8:52 PM

Review by pitong:

I am taking simvastatin after dinner meal 40mg as per my doctor's prescription. I feel fine.

May 28, 2012 10:11 AM

Review by Lemanski:

I am so happy I looked up Simvastatin here today. It was incredibly helpful. I had been having left knee pains originally and then calf and behing the thigh pains plus backaches sometimes from neck down. I now know from all the reports from users here that is was caused by this medicine.

April 1, 2012 5:00 PM

Was on Simvastatin for approximately 8 weeks for high cholesterol. Experienced extreme muscle weakness in arms and legs, along with severe muscle spasms at night. Also began to have increased depression (have been on Paxil for 10 years), confusion, memory problems, and unexplainable irritability, anger, and paranoia. After 7 days without the Simvastatin, most of these complaints have subsided, although still having muscle pain and slight spasms at night.

February 22, 2012 7:49 AM

Review by Keith1122:

Zocor (simvastatin): After taking Zocor for several months I experienced sleeplessness, indigestion and anxiety. Depression soon set in. Anti-depressants cannot be taken with Zocor so I stopped it. Antidepressants all came with side effects. So I stopped them too. After several weeks of counseling and breathing techniques I was back to my old self. Doctor put me back on Zocor and 2 weeks later sleeplessness, depression, indigestion are back. I am stopping this medicine.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2012 10:06 PM

Review by maryk12:

Had taken medication for 8 months noticed that my muscle control was weakening and had acid reflux , which I had to take medication for. After going off this medication my muscle control strengthened and acid reflux was gone.

August 18, 2011 12:48 AM

Started with a cholesterol of 235 and 3 months later my cholesterol went down to 140. No side effects!

August 9, 2011 2:59 PM

I take simvastatin. My level was 238 and dropped to 200 on 1 x 10 mg per day but before the 238 I was 250. I am now on 20mg and soon to take blood work and no problem at all. I take at night. I am sure it will be lower. Also My husband had 243 and he is down to 138 on one 10 mg per day but he moves a lot and I'm not as much. I had NO SIDE EFFECTS and I am medicine sensative and was scared to take it but I am so glad I did so try a low dose then up it if you don't have any side effects.

August 6, 2011 5:07 PM