User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Simvastatin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 257 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Simvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"Took my cholesterol down. After one year developed what I believe to be awful side affects from this med. Muscle weakness and neuropathy at the top of the list. Went off statins, felt better after a few months, but took about 3 years to feel normal. I know others that also had side affects from statins. I will not take this again."

Viking1957 January 11, 2016

"Neuropathy, muscle weakness, chills, plus more. I only took 10 mg a day, side affects didn't show up for one year. Took 4 years to get over all the pain. Only reason I gave it a 3 was because it took my numbers down. My doctor did not argue with me when I wanted off this med. I know other people who also have stopped this med because of side affects. Husband switched off this drug to another statin as he developed bad neuropathy in his feet and can barely feel them. Started as a burning pain. The only reason he is still taking a statin is because he had a heart attack. He is off the simvistatin."

Lean 2000 December 27, 2015

"My Dr. put me on Simvastatin. My cholesterol reading 134. I guess it was a birthday present. I was on it for two years. Complained about pain and dizziness. Got Gabapentin and Vicadin. Pain persisted. Then after about twenty-two months I felt something crystalize in my legs muscles. My Dr ignored it. I had this Dr for more then forty years and never associated the medicine with my pain. Utterly stupid. Never trust your health to anyone. I have been in severe pain for the last eight years. Get off Simvastatin immediately when you feel pain. I had a muscle biopsy but I am unable to get the results. In a matter of two years I poisoned myself into an invalid. I spend most of my days in a chair. It is too painful to walk."

jansteen54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

"I experienced night time Severe Reflux and Aspiration, gasping for air with a over whelming near death feeling. Plus I had the night cramps. I Stopped the med. Changed my life, will never take it again."

DeathTrap (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2015

"I've been on Simvastatin 10mg for the last 6 months. I've noticed the last 4 months or so severe pain in my legs & hips. I can barely move sometimes. Sleeping is very painful at night. There is a stiffness and I can barely move without pain. I'm going off this Cholesterol medication. Calling my Dr soon! I have not had my blood work rechecked yet so I don't know what my numbers are."

Carolyn97 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2015

"Taking drug for over 24 years...Past three years complained to doctors of breathing problems...recently told of kidney function defect...No mention of simvastatin concerns. I checked internet and am convinced side effects mentioned are taking place. I am going to different doctor to check out concerns"

pocono0001 July 20, 2015

"I took this drug for 3 months. I just stopped it now with doctor's approval. I stopped because I was getting tightness in my chest, burning sensations on my skin, sore breasts, and was getting depressed. Yes it did lower my cholesterol, but it's not worth it to me if it causes depression. Apparently, this drug can inhibit serotonin production. If you have any history of depressive disorder, I would NOT take this drug. My father took the pill as well, but just stopped because he has had trouble with walking this year. He had burning sensations down his legs this year. We think his walking troubles *may* have something to do with Simvastatin. Perhaps Simvastatin doesn't hurt everyone, but my opinion of it is poor. Trust your gut."

RoseMarion (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "I am currently on 20mg Zocor and started taking it six months ago. After I got my cholesterol checked again, the LDL went down 90 points! No side effects."

Jamie Lee July 2, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Started this med about 11 years ago. It dropped my level to below avg. I always associated my aches and pains to my age and activity level, but I've discontinued its use for about 3 weeks because my finger joints felt swollen and arthritic. I'm starting to feel a slow improvement. My additional symptoms are sore hips and other joints. To be fair, I won't be able to discern whether this is the drug or some other factor until staying off it longer."

JohnGotts (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2015

"I am 59 , very active, on thyroid and blood pressure medication for at least a year. All was good. Started taking simvastatin due cholesterol results. Took one at night after dinner 20 mg for two days. On the second day, while driving , I was getting extremely sleepy. Kept waking myself up by slapping my face. I had a blank moment while driving...woke up when the car hit a kerb with a thud!. Obviously now I don't think I will take this simvastatin. I will have to tell my doctor that she almost lost her patient and took a few other people off ."

Ditasnz June 27, 2015

"have taken Simvastin 80mg for eight years. Cholestrol level is down and stable. I wake up some nights around 3pm.wide awake.I get irritable and angry at times..high tummy pains.some days the need to urinate quite often.I didnt realise until reading information here that it may be the statins causing these side effects. All in all im happy with the results."

happy 64 yr old June 18, 2015

"Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last."

pepziman April 4, 2015

"I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects."

Phil1168 February 25, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations."

wooddmann January 18, 2015

"Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level."

Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud. "

Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2014

"About one week after I started taking it, I started with mild leg cramps. After 3 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore. They would wake me up at night and throb, so I stopped taking it. I can't really rate effectiveness as I wasn't on it long enough."

Louie135 April 7, 2014

"Tried 4 other statins. Simvastatin has no morning foot pain. Additional benefit is no more erectile dysfunction."

moof (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2013

"I have been taking this pill for almost a year. Recently I noticed my hair feels so fine, so tonight I have stopped it. I will call my Doc in the morning. I also have felt dizzy have vision problems. This has just started in the past week. Dizzy I can handle, losing hair, not so much!"

SKBrus November 18, 2013

"Taking this medication and having leg cramps that became severe. Did not know the source of the cramps at night. Stopped for a month and leg cramps disappeared. Started again and immediately had night leg cramps, severe enough to get me out of bed over and over again."

Chas54 November 17, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "It worked and no side effects that I noticed."

frankske (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "Only been taking for about two weeks. Feel lethargic, achy, headache, hot flashes are worse. Depression, occasional stomach pain. Muscle pain."

#345 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Since I started taking simvastatin 20mg at bedtime, I am not sleeping well, joint pain, tiredness and my acid reflux is so bad I cant stand it anymore. Not sure if the simvastatin is the problem, but was not having the issues with my acid reflux while taking my nexium until I started taking simvastatin. Talked with my pharmacy and they told me that the simvastatin does not worsen acid reflux, it does seems funny, I was not having a problem with it until I started taking the simvastatin."

t.miller (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2013

Zocor (simvastatin): "This statin cause extreme pain in my knee and hip."

kim k (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zocor (simvastatin): "This about the 4th time they have tried me on Statins... after a week on Zocor, have severe backaches, muscles aches, and pains in my wrists where I previously had carpel tunnel surgery. I have been on it about a week. I will stop it, since I trust my bodies response to these medicines. If you experience problems with any medicine don't keep taking it without telling your doctor."

Chuck08854 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2013

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next