User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Review by Angelalove (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer with post traumatic stress disorder from years of trauma and then the death of my mother really was the icing on the cake. I've also been dealing with physical ailments in the past 7 years, and panic attacks since I could remember. With all this going on, it's no wonder that I've became depressed and anxious about life. I am not the type of person who believes in medication without trying alternatives first. In the past I've tried other antidepressants to no avail. Was off of them for a year, but decided to go back on, trying Zoloft this time, when I became suicidal. That was the LAST straw. Been on 50mg for about a month, but started on 25mg a month prior. It LITERALLY saved my life. Don't give up! What one medication won't do for you another will.

May 14, 2014 6:42 AM

Review by Rippedinhalf (taken for less than 1 month):

After 1 month of losing my girlfriend and her mom in a horrible head on collision and balling my eyes out everyday feeling sooo lost i needed help!! Doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg for the first week to up it to 100mg thereafter... im on day 4 & feel much better already not thinking so much of my loss. The only sides ive felt are slight headache & slight nausea but now i have put down the box of kleenex from crying soooo much & can relax better ...im going to continue to take it cuz the thinking of my loss constantly was nothing less than the worst time of my life .

October 28, 2013 9:57 AM

Review by IrishToo:

My husband died tragically. The grief of losing him was compounded by the events surrounding the suicide. I was overwhelmed with sorrow and despair. Was sobbing throughout the day, felt hopeless. Counselor and doctor felt I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. It's a miracle for me. Somehow it helps me bypass those debilitating thoughts. My mind doesn't go there unless I choose to. My feelings were like quicksand, pulling and keeping me down. I have periods of sadness over the loss but they are much less frequent and shorter duration. I thank God for it.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2013 10:46 AM

Review by HappyPatty (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking Zoloft for about 6 years for depression. Coincidentally, I also have had post traumatic stress disorder for about 8 years due to a severe medical emergency (53 days in hospital, surgeries, etc.). I have not had any post traumatic stress disorder episodes in months, thought I was better. I just went off the Zoloft (WoHoo!), but just had a TERRIBLE PTSD episode. I had no idea Zoloft was helping with PTSD. I can't afford to have crying/screaming bouts while sitting at my desk. Back on Zoloft I go.

July 15, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by JONES R JR:

I am a vet with post traumatic stress disorder. My dr. Just put me on 25mg sertraline. My first night of taking the pill I could not sleep. I'll have to wait and see any other effects.

April 9, 2013 11:55 AM

Review by Che Guebuddha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, panic attack, aggression, paranoia. I started with Sertraline a few month ago 100mg. Before that I used Citalopram for a year 30mg which caused head pressure so I wanted to stop with it. 100mg Sertraline made me and zombie like, low concentration so after two months I lowered it to 50mg day. My aggression came back but I had more concentration and willing to get out of the house. At one stage I felt like this medicines is not helping so I decided to quit and I began to take 1/3 of the 100mg tablet a day (approx 35mg). I've read that one is never to go cold turkey with SSRI's (side effects). My paranoia came back with vengeance! So I went back to 50mg and paranoia went away. I think I will try 100mg again.

March 17, 2013 9:35 AM

Review by cynthnrth (taken for less than 1 month):

I first used Zoloft in 1999 for post traumatic stress disorder. At that time I was on 50mg, it allowed me to function very well. Now I am being treated for Major Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD. I started 50 mg 7 days ago, today I am to up my dose to 100 mg. The only side effect I have noticed is tiredness so far. The one benefit is I have not cried everyday which is a triumph as I had been doing that on a daily basis several times per day. Still am anxious about large crowds and overly watchful of my surroundings. I will post again after my check up with my progress the end of February. Good luck to you and I wish you recovery, we all need that.

January 31, 2013 12:46 PM

Review by landview12 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Has lowered general anxiety while not eliminating panic attacks. Love this medication and would not like to try any other.

January 11, 2013 12:19 AM

Review by poppyjuice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on this medicine for 3 month for my PTSD and I find it has helped somewhat, I can think straight, calm, centered. It's wonderful in combination with Lyrica for my GAD in which I'm in the-4% that gets euphoria from it.

September 18, 2012 5:29 PM

Review by LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft pretty much saved my life. I was suicidal due to my trauma and many life failures. I hated the medicine at first, though. The adjustment period is horrible. I felt constipated, sweaty, sleepy, high and dissociated from the real world. Once you get past that (it takes a couple of months), it is great. I am so much more relaxed now. I used to be very aggressive and now I think about other people's feelings. Being depressed from my trauma, I was very tired. Zoloft made me more tired until I adjusted to it. Now it actually gives me energy.

May 1, 2012 11:38 AM

Review by A New Life:

I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. I am 47 now. I have had panic and anger issues all my life to the point I wanted to hurt someone. I have used Xanax in the past, but it was just a band aid. My doctor put me on Zoloft and I have never been so centered in my life. Nothing rattles me and the people I work with and my family enjoy being around me now. I don't care if I have to take this the rest of my life as long as it makes me feel this in control. The only side effect has been increased sex drive with difficulty ejaculating and my concentration is a little off.

February 2, 2012 8:08 PM

Review by lockjaw:

Zoloft treated my symptoms very well. The only problem was my inability to ejaculate. Need less to say, I had to discontinue this medication due to this side effect.

December 14, 2011 12:17 AM

Review by karathrace69:

Been on this for several years and it works very well for my post traumatic stress disorder.

December 11, 2011 4:20 PM

Best thing that has ever happened to me. I suffer from anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. At first I wanted to stop taking it because the side effects were too much, as in tiredness and nausea. Once I had been taking it for a month and a half to 2 months I have no side-effects and I have a significant better quality of life. I take 100mg and I slowly increased and found it was a good spot for me. For a while I had the shakes and it bothered me but those are gone now too and I have been on it for about 5 months. With therapy and Zoloft I am a much happier and less anxious person. Keep trying and keep taking the medicine. It's worth it I promise. I am 19.

December 6, 2011 6:22 PM

Review by Sly :):

I had a traumatic experience with an ex-boyfriend of mine three years back and I've been fine. I am now deployed and doing missions in Iraq and have seen a few explosions and what not and I think that's what triggered my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was hesitant about trying medicines but they said I could take them and still go out on the road. So far they seem to be helping lighten my mood and actually want to get out of bed in the morning and not worry or get irritated and paranoid at random times like I normally would. I am also taking it with clonazepam, which is helping a lot! No side effects yet, hopefully none to come!

October 9, 2011 2:24 PM

Review by Jrod_228513:

It really works for me.

June 27, 2011 8:32 PM

I have had PTSD for 15 years, I was skeptical about taking medication for my condition, thinking each day I would fight on and get better without the aid of medications. I have finally sought help and have only been taking Zoloft for a short period of time and already I feel the difference. I feel happier and my general mood is more positive, the negative thoughts have diminished considerably. I have had no bad side effects to date. My advice to anyone hesitating is just pluck up the courage and talk to your doctor.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2011 7:16 AM

Well I've been off and on of zoloft and when I'm taking it my friends notice a very big difference. They say that I'm always a lot happier and more of a go getter. I just wish I would of been using it when my ex-fiancee was living here with me because well we'd probably still be getting married. As for side effect's I haven't seen really any at all, I still have a very high sex drive, I still eat like normal, and I'm a lot happier during high stress situations being in the military. But I've been taking 25mg a day in the morning and it help's tremendously. But like people say on here you just have to take it and see if it's for you or not. Hope this review helps everyone out.

March 7, 2011 7:31 AM

Review by PTSD Victom:

I starting taking Zoloft 8 weeks ago. I was extremely stressed out and was suffering from PTSD due to a bad car accident. After about 1 1/2 wks I really noticed a difference. Not stressed anymore but I do feel a bit Zombie like. I also have a problem with memory and focusing. Also really tired at night. Overall right now I guess it is worth the trade off. Also have intestinal issues but hope it will go away.

March 9, 2010 6:14 PM