User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"So glad I decided to try Zoloft after suffering with depression and anxiety after my husbands passing. I am calmer and feel somewhat happy. I'm on 50mg There's no need to suffer everyday. Life doesn't have to be so painful Do yourself a favor and try it. It might just take some of that pain away. It's definitely worth a try"

Mbfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

"When I find I'm very angry it gives me time to pause and the ability to shake the bad mood I'd normally have afterwards. I rarely experience unjustified sadness, yet when something sad happens I still feel sad. I think it just gives me some breathing room to sort things out."

Tiffany B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2015

"i am a Desert Storm veteran and for years i have suffered at the hands of depacote, lithium and wellbutrin (one after the other) and i just felt more and more miserable and doomed. then my doctor prescribed zoloft 2 years ago and it literally saved my life. now i am able to function normally and am really enjoying my life for the first time in 2 decades. it is my life saver and has changed my life forever. before zoloft i felt so depressed and hopeless. thank you, you have given me my joy in life back!"

timberon mellie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2015

"I've been battling ptsd since a kid. I tried celexa for two months and it didn't do anything so I quit taking it, 6 years later I went to a different Dr who prescribed me Zoloft. Started with 50mg for two months and bumped up to 100mg. It does take a few to get use to but the side effects go away with a week or two. This drug it's not drowsy, and actually works. I'm talking more, coming out of my shell. Laughing. Doing stuff again. All I can say give it a chance I say two months, off not working talk to Dr and try something else..I have tried something else...and this is working great so far. The heavy weight that held mange captive in my depression was lifted within the first two weeks. Two thumbs up so far. And affordable, I get generic"

h0rhay March 19, 2015

"I have been taking Zoloft since September 2014, I was diagnosed with PTSD and started on 50mg and during the first month I had a slight reduction in my anxiety and general mood, but the flashbacks continued. My dose was increased to 100mg and I felt better with mild anxiety and no emotions, I can be happy but not sad, Anxiety continued and some flashbacks, my doctor increased my dose to 150mg and I have been well for the last couple of months until last week when a combination of work and family issues pushed me over the edge once again, I had weekly psychologist visits for the first two months, Started today on 200mg daily. I think zoloft works very well for me but my Trauma plays out in my dreams most nights,"

Tosegue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I have been taking Zoloft for just over 2 years for Post traumatic stress disorder and depression. At my worst I was on 150mg and this held me quite well, I was determined not to be on the full 200mg. Initially the shakes and the tiredness bothered me, but not as much as how I felt when I missed a dose. On every increase I would have a day or two where my mind and mouth raced. This provided a few giggles. A huge improvement from crying and refusing to leave the house. Combining therapy and medication has helped me get my life back. I am now on the decrease as the masses of weight I have put on in a short period of time, my least favourite side effect, regardless of how much I exercise and how good my diet is. Just keeps adding on. Now 50mg daily and doing well."

cam2549 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2014

"I started taking it after my husband passed away; he had a cardiac problem and I tried to unsuccessfully help him. I did call the emergency services, they tried but were unable to help him. After that I could not get thoughts about the incident out of my mind and I lost in excess of 50lbs the next month. I was given Zoloft by my doctor which did interrupt my 'panic', however I only took the medicine for less than one month as I couldn't think properly. I rely on my mind, my thoughts to process how I relate to the 'world' - I decided that being sad about the situation was appropriate and a normal response. In the eighteen years since then I have not needed medication for depression - other things yes, but not mood disorders. Thank you."

MDASS October 5, 2014

"I suffer with post traumatic stress disorder from years of trauma and then the death of my mother really was the icing on the cake. I've also been dealing with physical ailments in the past 7 years, and panic attacks since I could remember. With all this going on, it's no wonder that I've became depressed and anxious about life. I am not the type of person who believes in medication without trying alternatives first. In the past I've tried other antidepressants to no avail. Was off of them for a year, but decided to go back on, trying Zoloft this time, when I became suicidal. That was the LAST straw. Been on 50mg for about a month, but started on 25mg a month prior. It LITERALLY saved my life. Don't give up! What one medication won't do for you another will."

Angelalove (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2014

"After 1 month of losing my girlfriend and her mom in a horrible head on collision and balling my eyes out everyday feeling sooo lost i needed help!! Doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg for the first week to up it to 100mg thereafter... im on day 4 & feel much better already not thinking so much of my loss. The only sides ive felt are slight headache & slight nausea but now i have put down the box of kleenex from crying soooo much & can relax better ...im going to continue to take it cuz the thinking of my loss constantly was nothing less than the worst time of my life ."

Rippedinhalf (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2013

"My husband died tragically. The grief of losing him was compounded by the events surrounding the suicide. I was overwhelmed with sorrow and despair. Was sobbing throughout the day, felt hopeless. Counselor and doctor felt I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. It's a miracle for me. Somehow it helps me bypass those debilitating thoughts. My mind doesn't go there unless I choose to. My feelings were like quicksand, pulling and keeping me down. I have periods of sadness over the loss but they are much less frequent and shorter duration. I thank God for it."

IrishToo October 7, 2013

"I have been taking Zoloft for about 6 years for depression. Coincidentally, I also have had post traumatic stress disorder for about 8 years due to a severe medical emergency (53 days in hospital, surgeries, etc.). I have not had any post traumatic stress disorder episodes in months, thought I was better. I just went off the Zoloft (WoHoo!), but just had a TERRIBLE PTSD episode. I had no idea Zoloft was helping with PTSD. I can't afford to have crying/screaming bouts while sitting at my desk. Back on Zoloft I go."

HappyPatty (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2013

"I am a vet with post traumatic stress disorder. My dr. Just put me on 25mg sertraline. My first night of taking the pill I could not sleep. I'll have to wait and see any other effects."

JONES R JR April 9, 2013

"I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, panic attack, aggression, paranoia. I started with Sertraline a few month ago 100mg. Before that I used Citalopram for a year 30mg which caused head pressure so I wanted to stop with it. 100mg Sertraline made me and zombie like, low concentration so after two months I lowered it to 50mg day. My aggression came back but I had more concentration and willing to get out of the house. At one stage I felt like this medicines is not helping so I decided to quit and I began to take 1/3 of the 100mg tablet a day (approx 35mg). I've read that one is never to go cold turkey with SSRI's (side effects). My paranoia came back with vengeance! So I went back to 50mg and paranoia went away. I think I will try 100mg again."

Che Guebuddha (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2013

"I first used Zoloft in 1999 for post traumatic stress disorder. At that time I was on 50mg, it allowed me to function very well. Now I am being treated for Major Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD. I started 50 mg 7 days ago, today I am to up my dose to 100 mg. The only side effect I have noticed is tiredness so far. The one benefit is I have not cried everyday which is a triumph as I had been doing that on a daily basis several times per day. Still am anxious about large crowds and overly watchful of my surroundings. I will post again after my check up with my progress the end of February. Good luck to you and I wish you recovery, we all need that."

cynthnrth (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2013

"Has lowered general anxiety while not eliminating panic attacks. Love this medication and would not like to try any other."

landview12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2013

"I have been on this medicine for 3 month for my PTSD and I find it has helped somewhat, I can think straight, calm, centered. It's wonderful in combination with Lyrica for my GAD in which I'm in the-4% that gets euphoria from it."

poppyjuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2012

"Zoloft pretty much saved my life. I was suicidal due to my trauma and many life failures. I hated the medicine at first, though. The adjustment period is horrible. I felt constipated, sweaty, sleepy, high and dissociated from the real world. Once you get past that (it takes a couple of months), it is great. I am so much more relaxed now. I used to be very aggressive and now I think about other people's feelings. Being depressed from my trauma, I was very tired. Zoloft made me more tired until I adjusted to it. Now it actually gives me energy."

LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2012

"I suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. I am 47 now. I have had panic and anger issues all my life to the point I wanted to hurt someone. I have used Xanax in the past, but it was just a band aid. My doctor put me on Zoloft and I have never been so centered in my life. Nothing rattles me and the people I work with and my family enjoy being around me now. I don't care if I have to take this the rest of my life as long as it makes me feel this in control. The only side effect has been increased sex drive with difficulty ejaculating and my concentration is a little off."

A New Life February 2, 2012

"Zoloft treated my symptoms very well. The only problem was my inability to ejaculate. Need less to say, I had to discontinue this medication due to this side effect."

lockjaw December 14, 2011

"Been on this for several years and it works very well for my post traumatic stress disorder."

karathrace69 December 11, 2011

"Best thing that has ever happened to me. I suffer from anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. At first I wanted to stop taking it because the side effects were too much, as in tiredness and nausea. Once I had been taking it for a month and a half to 2 months I have no side-effects and I have a significant better quality of life. I take 100mg and I slowly increased and found it was a good spot for me. For a while I had the shakes and it bothered me but those are gone now too and I have been on it for about 5 months. With therapy and Zoloft I am a much happier and less anxious person. Keep trying and keep taking the medicine. It's worth it I promise. I am 19."

Anonymous December 6, 2011

"I had a traumatic experience with an ex-boyfriend of mine three years back and I've been fine. I am now deployed and doing missions in Iraq and have seen a few explosions and what not and I think that's what triggered my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was hesitant about trying medicines but they said I could take them and still go out on the road. So far they seem to be helping lighten my mood and actually want to get out of bed in the morning and not worry or get irritated and paranoid at random times like I normally would. I am also taking it with clonazepam, which is helping a lot! No side effects yet, hopefully none to come! "

Sly :) October 9, 2011

"It really works for me."

Jrod_228513 June 27, 2011

"I have had PTSD for 15 years, I was skeptical about taking medication for my condition, thinking each day I would fight on and get better without the aid of medications. I have finally sought help and have only been taking Zoloft for a short period of time and already I feel the difference. I feel happier and my general mood is more positive, the negative thoughts have diminished considerably. I have had no bad side effects to date. My advice to anyone hesitating is just pluck up the courage and talk to your doctor."

Anonymous May 15, 2011

"Well I've been off and on of zoloft and when I'm taking it my friends notice a very big difference. They say that I'm always a lot happier and more of a go getter. I just wish I would of been using it when my ex-fiancee was living here with me because well we'd probably still be getting married. As for side effect's I haven't seen really any at all, I still have a very high sex drive, I still eat like normal, and I'm a lot happier during high stress situations being in the military. But I've been taking 25mg a day in the morning and it help's tremendously. But like people say on here you just have to take it and see if it's for you or not. Hope this review helps everyone out."

Anonymous March 7, 2011