User Reviews for Xarelto

Learn more about Xarelto.

Xarelto Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis.

Reviews for Xarelto to treat Deep Vein Thrombosis

"I had two instance of DVT getting to my lungs. Almost killed me. I was on warfarin the first time for 6 months with no side effects. I have been taking xeralto 20 mg for about a month now. I am having insomnia, upset stomach, and occasional muscle cramping in calves and ankles. However, I do not have to go the doctor once a month to have blood tests and I do not have to manage my eating habits so closely. So far I am a fan, albeit a sleepy one."

Bid Daddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

"I was feeling a sharp right calf pain for about three days and thought it may be a Charlie horse. Decided to go to the er and bam!!!!! Dvt. Huge clot but below the knee. Was admitted for two days heart rate went down to 38 close calls but thank God I am here. Have been on xarelto for 8 days now and not one side effect. Just hope it gets me through and helps my body dissolve the clot ASAP. Xarelto works for me."

lucky man (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2015

"This my second DVT in 5yrs, I'm only 26 and its from a genetic disorder. I took warfrain the first time around and er doctor gave me xareltro this time. I was thrilled due to no strict diet, constant finger pricks, etc. However from day 1 of xareltro I had horrible headaches that I could not get rid of. I took my dose with dinner and if we had a late dinner, after 7, I would get vivid dreams that left !e exhausted I'm the morning. It caused two ocular migraines, which I have never had which scared m cause I though I was going blind!! I was also hallucinating at all times of the day. I'm back on warfrian now all sideffects have stopped! Loved the promise of xareltro but belive it needs more testing!!"

young with 2nd DVT (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

"Two DVT and life situation had my docs place me on Xarelto. I've had all the side effects migraines non stop for a month. The lower dose helped but still vet them every couple weeks. Hair falling out in clumps dizziness at the start. Heavy periods but that ended with move to an IUD. Still for the side effects the lack of blood testing and with my high stress life thankful for these meds. But look forward to being off them."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2015

"Don't like it my legs hurt I'm dizzy I won't to stop taken it seeing all the commercials doctor says my dvt is a thing of the past but he keep me on it till august going to get a second opion"

Ivory sanders March 15, 2015

"I was prescribed Xarelto for two months after I got a Deep Vein Thrombsis and pulmonary embolisms and it definitely worked as prescribed. I did bruise very easily, but that was a small price to pay to completely get rid of my DVT and show no signs of it 3 months later."

DVT and PE (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

"I was prescribed Xarelto when a blood clot developed after surgery for my broken leg. I did not notice any immediate side effects until.... I normally have 3 day, semi-light periods and they went to 7-9 days of the worst ever. I won't go into detail. It also caused my iron level to drop to 17! I stayed on Xarelto for 6 months and it worked for me. I was told Xarelto won't dissolve your clot it just thins your blood enough to prevent the clot from growing or new clots, The existing clot is absorbed into the body. I think my hair was falling out also but that may have been from the low iron?"

mdsiress December 30, 2014

"DVT in ankle, then again in other ankle then one in knee. Tried Warfarin with many headaches, stopped on my own due to the side effect. That's how the DVT came back. Went to Coumadin and the difference was Coumadin gave me a consistent test result. Still the headaches almost daily. From minimal to taking 800 mg of ibuprofen, just to get rid of the pain. Already allergic to peanuts, then restricted by medicine with no greens or cranberry. Really tough to find a good meal. Begged my doctor for a prescription before it was approved for DVT and that could be part of my positive reaction. Now on Xarelto for 2 years, headaches once in awhile - maybe due to medicine but not consistent enough to believe. Eat anything and everything."

Tsunamijim (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2014

"I am a 39 year old woman with a history of DVT who switched from warfarin to Xarelto . Shortly after starting the medicine I began to experience migraines for the first time. After two weeks of being on it, I began my menstrual period as scheduled. The period was severe bleeding 6 days straight, at that point I went to the ER, I ended up with several blood transfusions that were not helping, my hemoglobin was dropping to dangerous levels. The only thing to be done was an emergency uterine ablation. I believe that blood levels DO actually need to be monitored. My blood was so thin I was not clotting. "

Sarah v June 29, 2014

"I've been on Xarelto 20mg a day for a year now, after I was hospitalized with a clot in my lung that came up from my leg. I've got no side effect at all."

Sav31 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2014

"Doc put me on this after finding a small blood clot in calf after TKR. First month was not bad but after that, my upper stomach started to hurt off & on all day, every day; migraine headaches every night; insomnia every night and horrible itching at site of incision; bleeding hemorrhoids also. Had a Doppler taken after 2 months and it did not find any clots. Dr took me off of Xarelto cold turkey. Very frightening because I was told you should be weaned off of it but doc seemed to be ok with immediately stopping. It has been 4 days since I stopped and all the above symptoms went away, thank goodness."

NCYankee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2014

"Was on xeralto for three months and enjoyed the freedom from warfarin...BUT went back to warfarin because head aches, constant sore upset stomach, weird dreams and hallucinations at night...Three weeks off xeralto and back on warfarin am feeling normal again...Just me and if xeralto works for you stay with it..."

RichardTheo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2014

"Good"

Galarza December 8, 2013

"Last summer I was placed on Xarelto after a dermatologist botched my laser leg vein surgery and caused a DVT. I am an otherwise healthy 50 year old woman. I did not want to go on Coumadin as I am familiar with the side effects and monitoring required. I was sick on Xarelto the entire time, and the minute that I stopped it, most of the side effects went away. It took about two weeks for all side effects to subside. Side effects included migraine headaches (first time in my life), sharp pins and needles pain in hands and fingers, swollen joints especially finger joints, muscle cramps-especially legs and toes etc."

SalesRD (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2013

"I was on Coumadin from 2008-2013. I am now 28 years old. Imagine how I react when I go to a Dr, get told about Xarelto, that I do NOT need to see my doctor weekly-biweekly, and I CAN EAT GREENS! It was a miracle for me. Yes, the bleeding risk is still there. But a once daily pill for my chronic recurrent deep vein thrombosis verses modifying multiple times my Coumadin based on fluctuating INR levels is a God send. My PCP was about to put me on the similar Xa-inhibitor medication but this came out. Off to enjoy sauteed spinach!"

Starr2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2013

"Treated with Coumadin for 3 years. Stopped Coumadin 2 days ago. Started Xarelto last night 20 mg once a day. Maybe it is the excitement of being off Coumadin, but today is the first day I feel normal. No headache, No light headedness, No Fuzzy head, was not tired in the middle of the day. Coumadin really made me feel different. I thought it was just getting old. Also my eyes feel clear now. First thing I did last night was drink two glasses of cranberry juice. It was great. For lunch spinach in my sandwich. Wonderful. Looking forward to not seeing my doctor to draw blood every month. Might even get back into some low impact sports in the afternoon before dinner. "

Tsunamijim (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Deep Vein Thrombosis