User Reviews for Rituximab

Also known as: Rituxan

Learn more about Rituximab.

Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis 2 reviews 0 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 20 reviews 337 medications

7.4
Summary of Rituximab reviews 40 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Rituximab

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had my first infusion yesterday. It as to stopped just after an hour and a half due a rash that developed on face and spread to my chest and back and severe itching. Dr's took the decision to stop the treatment altogether. Waiting to my rheumatologist next week to look at options. Have had to stop methotrexate, enbrel and humira doe died effects. Not sure what is left! At 4:40am and I ave been up since 2 am with severe itching. The joys of this lovely disease ad the side effects f the meds. But can't fault the medical team for their support and efforts"

Ginster0212 February 6, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Hi , I'm still waiting for this drug to really kick in, had infusions September 2015, not yet as well as I was on Embrel, but had to change due to new rheumo team. Not impressed really- lots of infections, got to the point of wheelchair use in December, previous to Sept never required a stick, Very slowly starting to regain life- possibly am near 40% of the real me. I'm not at work, not driving, am worried for my job, It's been 19 weeks since the treatment and I want my life back."

nannamaz. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had my first infusion on 12/21/15 and the second on 12/31/16. To date I have seen no improvement in pain. The only side affect from the first infusion was a severe headache and tiredness for 2-3 days. I have not been so fortunate with 2nd. I have no energy or appetite and feel terrible. I am shaky and dizzy and joint pain is horrible. I was on Remicade and Humira for years without complication. Not sure this is worth it or if it is going to work for me. Still hopeful."

Lindaje1950 January 15, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 55 year old male that has been diagnosed with RA. I've been on rituxan now for 6 years. Through trial and error it lasted me effectively for one year. By choice I stopped taking methotrexate that they said should accompany with the rituxan about the same time I started infusions. My reasons being reading the possible side effects from methotrexate to ones liver. This drug has been a life saver for me from sleepless nights from chronic pain and not being able to walk or even go to work. I have to say it's really giving my life back to me. I've also learned not to ever let this drug wear off because it's at least for me like jumping off a cliff. The pain comes back so fast its unbearable."

Dalooch January 10, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA in 2006, my profession was heavy bridge construction, inside 2 years while being treated with all the major RA drugs the bottom line was my being confined to a wheelchair by 2008 and the realization that the word invalid is a messed up word. I got my first infusion of Rituxan and asked how long before I would see results, if any, and was told 3 to 4 weeks, 3 days later I was walking! Rituxan has saved my life! Most if not all issues I have now are from the havoc the RA caused previously. Rituxan has proven to be a miracle cure for me although it is very expensive."

Mickacree December 14, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed with RA March 2014. Disease fast tracked through me and rendered me unable to walk by April 2015. Have had all oral DMRADs plus Enbrel which made no difference. I was suffering immense pain and could barely leave the house. Had first Rituximab infusion Sept 2015 second 2 weeks later. Zero side effects. It has taken 10 weeks for me to feel any effect but I am now walking unaided and feel so much better. I can drive, have a bath and live a normal life again. I live in Scotland and my drugs are paid for by our NHS. I have great support from the entire Rheumatology team since being diagnosed."

Chezis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2015

For Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: "I was diagnosed with CLL in 2009. My WBC (White Blood Cell Count) when diagnosed was 11k. By 2013 my WBC was 50k. In 2015 my rate of increase jumped and a CAT scan confirmed that deeper lymph nodes had grown 50% in size so my oncologist wanted to start chemo right away. I had no other symptoms associated with the CLL other than increasing WBC. In October, I started treatment with a "cocktail" of Rituximab and Bendamustine. My WBC at the start of treatment was 120k. At the end of the first month (prior to my second chemo session) my blood tests came back with totally normal numbers! My WBC was 7k! It was as if I did not have CLL. My blood was clean! Few side effects (constipation/heart-burn) & about a 20% reduction in energy."

Steve K November 17, 2015

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Rituxan has completely changed my life for the better. I was in a clinical trial and tried several other medications with some success but my symptoms eventually returned. After four sessions of Rituxan over a two year period I stopped seeing my RA doctor because I had no symptoms. I am now going into my 4th year without pain. I am playing softball, tennis and golf without any pain. I highly recommend this drug to anyone dealing with RA."

Nosymptoms (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2015

For Pemphigus: "The course of treatment was 1000mg two weeks apart, and one 1000mg dose six months after. The first wave of treatment brought the pemphigus to only two isolated areas, (this is after 7 years of constant open wounds) The side effects were standard, extreme exhaustion, a sense of malaise. Utilizing a cannabis (eaten) treatment to counteract the nausea, it also alleviated the nervous reactions to stressful stimulus. (Not a normal user of such) The final treatment was completed in mid-June 2015, the side effects have been considerably less, only one day so far of dizziness and nervous reaction. This was treated with a 1/8g of cannabis eaten with white rice. Overall being forewarned is very helpful to keep side effects in perspective."

Danbee July 19, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The steroid push with the first dose gave me a whirlwind of energy. I am using it to help CIPD - a dying nerve disease. My body started attacking my nerves and I now have fast moving, dense neuropathy feet, legs, hands, forearms. Mayo Clinic decided that this would be a good treatment since I suffer RA as well. I take methotrexate once weekly with the Rituxin. The crash came 3 days later and I felt the effects of the chemo on my body hard. I threw up a few times, felt like the worst hangover ever for the rest of the week (had infusion Tues, now is Sunday) I am still fighting nausea. I really really liked the steroid energy a lot. Now my joints and bones are screaming narcotics. Sleep is not very good for me yet. It's only been 6 days so."

RAfullofhope April 12, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been in Rituxan for 10 years. Almost wheel chair bound at 35. I prayed it would work. And it had put me in remission. It saved my life! I will be on this for the rest of my life if possible. I pray insurance will keep paying."

Buffytulsa December 15, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had my very first infusion of Rituxan today, I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING. I've had Enbrel, Orencia, Humira, Xeljanz, Methotrexate, Remicade. All thumbs up so far. The infusion experience was great. I feel better but we also pushed Solumedrol steroids so that could be why. Crossing my fingers for no latent side effects and good results. Will try to check back in two weeks after second infusion."

marybrnrd (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My rheumatoid arthritis was so severe that I have had four joint replacements (both hips and both knees) within 4 years. I have tried Enbrel, Humira, and Remicade and none of them were effective. My joints were stiff and my flares were frequent, I was in so much pain and was very depressed because of my limitations. My Rhuematologist, who I feel is totally the best, told me about Rituxan (rituximab) and I agreed to try it in 2010. After my first infusion, I felt this was miracle pill because I had immediate positive results. I did not have ANY of the side effects that others have spoken about. I know that Rituxan gave me back my quality of life and my infusions can last up to a year. I'm still on it."

Baby Girl Chris October 3, 2014

For Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: "This has been an AMAZING medicine for me. I've taken it alone (after pre-administration medicines; Pepcid & Solumedrol (steroid)) for several series (of 4 infusions each) the last 3-4 years. It has put me back into remission every time, so far, especially knocking the WBC down into normal range from as high as 214k. No major side-effects, either. I can't sleep the night after my infusion (not tired, and too "hyped up"); also I coughed a lot last time, but they slowed the drip down, and I was fine."

GEEBREE August 22, 2014

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Entering the 7th hour of the process during my 1st infusion; I experienced annoying itching deep within my ears, back of throat, head and face. Shortly after the "push", increasing the drip, I broke out into hives on my face, head and neck with red welts ironically appearing in the areas where I had historically given myself the Enbrel injections...front of both thighs and stomach. Enbrel had stopped its effectiveness after almost 2 yrs and it had been almost 1 month from my last injection prior to the infusion. My Dr made the decision to discontinue the infusion fearing that my allergic reaction may cause anaphylaxis."

RobGee June 15, 2014

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had two infusions. Both lasted 18-20 hours. I couldn't tolerate the infusion faster than 33ml/hr. I would get chest pain and muscle rigors. MD refused to continue after that. "

Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2014

For Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: "Finished my first round of Rituxan for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Premeds- Tylenol, Zurtec and Ativan. About 5 minutes after they started the infusion, I experienced heaviness on my chest, chills, back pain and vomiting. It was managed very quickly with steroids and Benadryl. About an hour later, it felt like a bowling ball was sitting on my chest. The nurse came rapidly to the rescue with Benadryl and Ativan. After that, I woke up when it was all over. I slept pretty much all day and night. Feeling flu like symptoms and very thirsty. Experienced night sweats and had to change my pyjamas in the middle of the night. The next day, I had flu like symptoms without a fever. Make sure you drink a lot of water to flush your system."

Beach_Bum (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2014

Rituxan (rituximab) for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: "I was diagnosed with CLL 10/2005. I began Rituxan 5/2012 once the lymph nodes began to enlarge and my counts were doubling. Initially I was infused once per week for a month; I have continued with this infusion but moved to a monthly visit. It is now July/2013 and my numbers have dropped significantly and my doctor has moved to a maintenance program....infusion every other month. I have never had any side effects from the infusions and doctor is pleased that I've not required chemotherapy medicines added to get same results. Prior to each infusion, I take two 25mg Benadryl and a Tylenol. Perhaps these medicines beforehand have aided me. I have no complaints!"

Judi in Bon Air, Va. (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2013

Rituxan (rituximab) for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: "In 2009 after 6 rounds of RCHOP chemo, then BCNU chemo in the hospital, a bone marrow transplant, I had 3 years of remission. In Oct. 2012, rediagnosed out of remission, started on 6 rounds of bendamustine and Rituxan. The 6th month was skipped due to a low WBC of 2.4. I will continue on Rituxan for maintenance. I began my journey at stage 4E. I was rediagnosed after a fall in May, and was back to stage 4 by October 2012, so the combination of bendamustine and Rituxan have done good. I will receive Rituxan every 3 months or sooner as a precautionary measure."

jmbwholesale (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 14, 2013

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This is a follow up to a review I left on 18th July '12. It took 4 months for rituximab to start making a real difference and what a difference it has made to me. I can now walk and do most things that I couldn't do before I got it. I had another infusion yesterday and I will get another in 2 weeks and that will complete my 2nd course of it. That was 10 months between infusions although you can get it again after 6 months. I had Enbrel before starting rituximab but it didn't do a thing for me, in fact I think I got worse but rituximab has been fantastic. The infusion took around 6 hours but it was painless and I had no problems at all during it, although I would recommend taking a book to read as it is quite a long time sitting."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "For me Rituxan has been the best medicine yet. I have been through Enbrel and Humira which helped but began to lose their effectiveness after awhile."

Jazzperc (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: "I have gone through three rounds of Rituxan for Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia triggered by early stage Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Each time I have had initial reactions with the first dose. My throat and ears get itchy and my throat starts to swell. They give me IV Benadryl and have administered Decadron, slowed down the infusion and I have done okay. It is very gradual improvement in my hemoglobin. So slow that I'm not sure it is working but my doctors believe it is. The only alternative is prednisone which makes me completely hyper and unable to sleep. Rituxan is the better alternative. Unfortunately it is not stopping my AIHA just keeping my hemoglobin up. It is extremely expensive though. "

Sydmave (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2013

For Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis: "I was diagnosed with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. After a number of years my kidneys failed I was transplanted with my brothers kidney, we were a perfect match. 8 days later a biopsy showed the FSGs present in the new kidney. Within a year all my pre-operation symptoms were back. As a last ditch effort we tried Rituximab and after 5 infusions I began to go into remission I have been symptom free for nearly 3 years. I would highly recommend anyone in a similar situation to try this medicine. I truly feel better than ever, and had zero side effects. The manufacturer has a program where they give it free to folks with Subpar insurance like me. although I did have to come up with a few thousand for the infusions it was well worth it. Good luck."

ms. milo January 26, 2013

For Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: "I had chills, shakes and low blood pressure at my first infusion. Subsequent infusions were easier, but still difficult. I think it's 8 of 10 due to side effects, and I know it works well for many people. Not for all though."

hat_hat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2012

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had my first infusion almost 6 weeks ago and the 2nd 15 days later, i had no problems at all during the infusions which was painless. The day after the infusion I woke up with the feeling that my hands were burning and tingling badly, that lasted most of the day. After the 2nd infusion I woke up on and off during the night with my eye burning. I think my mobility has improved a bit but I hope it improves more over the next couple of weeks. For the last few days I have had pain in my neck and jaw and feelings of dizziness, hopefully this will pass. I will update my progress over the next few weeks."

Anonymous July 18, 2012