User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

Learn more about Ramipril.

Heart Attack 1 reviews 118 medications

High Blood Pressure 18 reviews 247 medications

7.2
Summary of Ramipril reviews 23 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Ramipril

For High Blood Pressure: "Hi I've been on ramapril for a year now had a headache for 2 weeks went to see nurse said I had high bp was put on 2.5mg all was good for 3 months when dreaded headache returned for 2 weeks was put up to 5mg and just before Xmas again headaches returned I'm now on 10mg and my bp the other day was still 167/102 which for 30 years old is high I'm being monitored but I am on a course of steroids for eczama so could be that why hasn't lowered but the ramapril is great had no side effects at all"

Mummyof4 January 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "After started taking medication I have dry cough, chast heaviness and ED. Even when my primary doctor said it has no side effects"

Vbtea (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "BP was 170/100... after just a couple days it was 130/80... no side effects.... real life saver"

craig74! November 18, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am diabetic following pancreatitis. Ramipril has lowered my blood pressure from around 145/90 to around 135/85 in just a weeks or so, but as soon as I started taking it I started having a lot of hypos. I have had to reduce my doses of Levemir from 18 units twice a day to 12 units twice a day. No other side effects."

The Scribbler October 10, 2015

For Heart Failure: "I found this medicine remapril caused me excessive itching so much that I ended up with sores on my backside. I also found I was unable to leave my home because of the frequent accidents I was having. Diahorria. I stopped taking the tablet and all is well again. I was surprised by my Doctors reaction when I asked for an alternative tablet. He told me it was alright to stop and didn't offer any alternative. This is puzzling after having read why the tablet was prescribed in the first place"

tirade03 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "So far after a couple of weeks it seems to be working fine for me."

JLM316 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "prescribed to wife - a kidney dialysis patient in her 14th year of treatment --(haemodialysis) to control bp - died within 2 months of being prescribed. BP escalated to an alarming rate - seven hour nosebleed - if this is not an isolated instance of such a severe reaction - strongly suggest it NEVER be prescribed to patients known to have severe kidney impairment. Would be interesting to know if any mortality studies have been done regarding the use of this drug on kidney dialysis patients. Noted that it raises the level of potassium in the blood which I suggest of itself is an indication that its use in such patients is perhaps contraindicated."

hound August 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Worried about the side effects of taking ramipril decided to split first dose to ease the effects.....2 months and all going well, maybe slightly more tired than i was before but can live with that Before BP was around the 150/95 now 120-130/80"

Pugs.. July 20, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "It did reduce my blood pressure but it made me itch"

divingbelle (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Am taking daily 2.5mg Ramipril capsules, Warfarin (5.5 mg) and Simvastatin (10mg). During this period of about 1 year, I have suffered increasingly from gastric pains located at the base of the sternum. The pain comes on at between 3 and 4 am, despite taking Lansoprazole which confers protection for only about 3 hrs. I suspected the Ramipril as the cause of the acid flush in the early hrs. Have tried stopping the Ramipril. Result: gastric pains gone but blood pressure uncomfortably high! Not even taking Lansoprazole."

Maxadolf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2015

Altace (ramipril) for Heart Attack: "9th anniversary of 5x bypass. Blood pressure was never high. Altace, began with 5mg in the morning, was feeling faint every time I stood up all day. Changed to 5mg before bed, faint if I got up to pee. Changed to 2.5 mg in the evening, OK till last night (9 years) difference was had the flu or something similar, had a high fever, night sweats, diarrhea, got up to go to the bathroom and found myself on the bedroom floor, no damage, fell into the dirty clothes basket, so the warning about excessive sweat or any loss of fluids, is a good one."

Sam of Newburyport February 1, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "Diagnosed with borderline hypertension - doctor asked what I wanted to do about it, treat or monitor? I said treat and doc prescribed 1.25 Ramipril and I feel much healthier since started treatment. Fewer headaches, decreased stomach acid and improved erections. Unbelievable yes, but a real bonus - has anyone seen similar benefits?"

wolfson July 6, 2011

Altace (ramipril) for Heart Failure: "I am 56 yrs old. Suffer from left ventricular dysfunction. I used Altace nearly 2 years. It makes me more relaxed and the heart calm."

amjad kareem May 8, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 75 year old man, who I feel is in good health with not much time spent at the doctors, that is until I was put on Ramipril. I was told this was for high blood pressure. After about 4 weeks I came out in very large red lumps( looked a little like water blisters, they were about the same size as a 50p piece). They were all over the top of my body and were itchy. At the time I didn't know it was these tablets, so I stopped for a couple of days and the rashes cleared. Tried again today and waiting to see what happens."

Anonymous May 7, 2011

Altace (ramipril) for High Blood Pressure: "I started on Altace for blood pressure of 145/90. Brought my BP down to 130's and 80's. During this period (2yrs) I had a cough that progressively got worse, to the point everyone thought I was catching a cold. I would cough everyday. By the end of the second year when I would cough I would gag and cough up clear liquid. I spoke to the doctor and she said "Oh no, your cough is not from this." Well I re-read the pharmacy papers and it was stated that a possible side effect of this medicine is a cough. I called the doctor and told her what I read, she agreed to change my prescription, within a couple of days my cough was gone. So if you have a persistent cough (dry or wet) on any medicines for more than a month please investigate the side effects."

dianaid April 16, 2011

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking lowest dose at 1.5 with a few side effects, headache, blemishes on my skin which became quite irritable and itchy. My blood pressure started at 220/140 dropping to 153/98 so doctors increased dose to 2.5 and now blood pressure between 143/98 134/88. I will speak to doctors again as I am suffering with tiredness and bouts of high blood pressure noticible with my face burning and cheeks flushing. I must be the unlucky one that has picked up side effects."

firework January 6, 2011

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Altace (ramipril) for High Blood Pressure: "I have used Altace for more than 5 years with excellent results and no side effects."

jimjk December 15, 2009

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetic Kidney Disease: "I have type 1 diabetes as well, I was put on this medication about 3 months ago. My blood pressure was 127/80 which isn't bad but because of my diabetes it was suggested. So far its lowered my blood pressure and I have had no side effects using the pills and it worked within a month."

Bee Man November 6, 2009

Altace (ramipril) for Diabetic Kidney Disease: "I'm a Type I diabetic with normal blood pressure and I take Altace as a preventative treatment for kidney disease. Side effects have not been an issue and I'm pleased with this medication. More diabetics need to be proactive and encourage their physicians to add ACE Inhibitors and statins to their treatment regime. I'm not just a diabetic, I'm also a scientist."

Anonymous October 3, 2009

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on ramipril for about 5 months now, titrated from 2.5mg to 20mg, and have had no side effects on it. One thing I have noticed, at least for myself, is that it would appear to act in an all or nothing fashion; when the dosage I was at was insufficient, it caused no real reduction in my blood pressure values. However, when I was finally moved to twenty milligrams, the ramipril dropped those same values by 30/15 (systolic/diastolic). This is of course not to say that this will occur in anyone else, but is just my personal experience."

RobertWPike May 5, 2009

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on Altace 10mg for approximately 5 years with good success at controlling my high blood pressure. Recently I was switched to generic ramipril and the effects appear to be the same. Overall good control."

Anonymous April 13, 2009

Altace (ramipril) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Altace for 6 years. I carefully analyze if I've noticed any changes in any organ system, as well as any type of side effect that didn't exist before I was on this drug. I honestly have never noticed any kind of side effect at all from day one. More importantly, my blood pressure is now routinely around 110/70...sometimes slightly lower still. Considering that I take one 10mg capsule daily, and that my blood pressure was usually 145/85-95, the results are quite impressive."

Nyyfan January 8, 2009

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Altace (ramipril) for High Blood Pressure: "I have used altace for 5 yrs now and have found it does have an affect on having or keeping an erection but my bp pretty much stays at 130/80"

frodo62 April 1, 2008