User Reviews for Ramipril

Also known as: Altace

Learn more about Ramipril.

Ramipril Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Ramipril to treat High Blood Pressure

"I took this for a very short time after a beta blocker slowed my heart too much. My throat almost immediately began to close up, but angioedema related to ACE Inhibitors is not treatable with antihistamines or cortisteroids. After benadryl and a cortisone shot didn't help, I finally started researching and realized it is a not so uncommon occurrence with ACE Inhibitors. Finally realized my throat and ear were closing up from this med. Also HORRIBLE gagging cough and bad burning in chest. Really bad drug. I'd like to see better warnings... Once I stopped taking it I got better almost immediately. Took a week for my throat swelling to go down completely. scary."

MoreBubbles (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

"Was diagnosed 5 weeks ago when a general health check saw my b.p was 210/76. I was put on amlopidine 10mg for the first 2 weeks with little improvement and now I am also taking ramidil 2.5mg, been taking for 4 days and b.p has dropped to 153/70. side effects are a dull headache and feeling exhausted but have been assured this is only temporary"

DiddyDi April 27, 2016

"Like some other reviews of this product I took Ramipril and experienced the following side effects Mouth so dry that it was difficult to swallow Headache Stomach ache Strange looking eyes, just felt very odd Shaky Tingly tongue Short of breath Acidic Hot but clammy Fidgety, restless, couldn't sleep Could feel and hear when resting, my heart beating really fast Awful feeling, stopped taking and have now been given Amlodipine which I will take today for the first time"

SH197839 April 12, 2016

"I have been on 10mg ramipril and 4mg doxazosin for some 10 years, have periods of low BP which result in fainting, also severe ED problems and night sweats plus joint pain. Have now weaned off the meds completely by diet and excercise (lost 4 stone) and am maintaining good BP reading, the side effects have all gone and I feel 10 years younger. I know this is partly weight lose/better diet but also feel the meds where in fact slowly killing me."

essexone (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2016

"A 24 hour blood pressure monitored showed my average reading to be 158/95, during the course of the day my reading spiked over 200. Within three weeks of starting Ramipril (starting on 2.5 then raised to 5mg) my readings have been 140/84, 130/80 and 144/84. Ramipril seems to be working great, only negative is constant dull headache."

hate pills April 8, 2016

"Taken for 2 months. Hate it. Side effects are awful :( HEADACHE, LOSS OF ENERGY, BONE/JOINT PAIN, RINGING IN EARS, NUMBNESS/TINGLING OF HANDS and TOES, LIGHT HEADED, CONFUSION, VISUAL ISSUES, SENSITIVITY TO LIGHT, COUGH, MUSCLE PAIN,STOMACH ACHE, TOO MUCH TO LIST. Does bring pressure down but may not last 24 hours. After 3 weeks my bp was finally lower than 140/90 in the mornings. Next appointment I'm off this drug. Can't take it :("

MsDebbie March 11, 2016

"I was on this drug for 6 months, prior to this I took AMLODIPINE for 7 months. Although my blood pressure was reduced to normal, my experiences are as follows: postural hypotension - felt terrible; the full works. diarrhoea, gastrointestinal inflammation, digestive disturbances, abdominal discomfort, constipation Nausea Glossitis Fatigue, tinnitus Cough, nonproductive tickling cough, cough increased, plus mucus cough dyspnea Confusional state disturbance in attention Maculopapular rash decreased appetite Muscle spasm - shakes Pharangitis earache bleeding gums on cleaning thickened mucous dry nose scabby and bleeding reduced urination increase in heartburn lump in throat sleeping for 25 hours at at time. Breathing is so bad now have COPD"

Gillyannie March 7, 2016

"Helped bring down high blood pressure in a short time on maintenance dose of 1.25mg but caused unbelievable itch"

Mysterylass (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

"Hi I've been on ramapril for a year now had a headache for 2 weeks went to see nurse said I had high bp was put on 2.5mg all was good for 3 months when dreaded headache returned for 2 weeks was put up to 5mg and just before Xmas again headaches returned I'm now on 10mg and my bp the other day was still 167/102 which for 30 years old is high I'm being monitored but I am on a course of steroids for eczama so could be that why hasn't lowered but the ramapril is great had no side effects at all"

Mummyof4 January 13, 2016

"After started taking medication I have dry cough, chast heaviness and ED. Even when my primary doctor said it has no side effects"

Vbtea (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

"BP was 170/100... after just a couple days it was 130/80... no side effects.... real life saver"

craig74! November 18, 2015

"I am diabetic following pancreatitis. Ramipril has lowered my blood pressure from around 145/90 to around 135/85 in just a weeks or so, but as soon as I started taking it I started having a lot of hypos. I have had to reduce my doses of Levemir from 18 units twice a day to 12 units twice a day. No other side effects."

The Scribbler October 10, 2015

"So far after a couple of weeks it seems to be working fine for me."

JLM316 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

"prescribed to wife - a kidney dialysis patient in her 14th year of treatment --(haemodialysis) to control bp - died within 2 months of being prescribed. BP escalated to an alarming rate - seven hour nosebleed - if this is not an isolated instance of such a severe reaction - strongly suggest it NEVER be prescribed to patients known to have severe kidney impairment. Would be interesting to know if any mortality studies have been done regarding the use of this drug on kidney dialysis patients. Noted that it raises the level of potassium in the blood which I suggest of itself is an indication that its use in such patients is perhaps contraindicated."

hound August 10, 2015

"Worried about the side effects of taking ramipril decided to split first dose to ease the effects.....2 months and all going well, maybe slightly more tired than i was before but can live with that Before BP was around the 150/95 now 120-130/80"

Pugs.. July 20, 2015

"It did reduce my blood pressure but it made me itch"

divingbelle (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

"Am taking daily 2.5mg Ramipril capsules, Warfarin (5.5 mg) and Simvastatin (10mg). During this period of about 1 year, I have suffered increasingly from gastric pains located at the base of the sternum. The pain comes on at between 3 and 4 am, despite taking Lansoprazole which confers protection for only about 3 hrs. I suspected the Ramipril as the cause of the acid flush in the early hrs. Have tried stopping the Ramipril. Result: gastric pains gone but blood pressure uncomfortably high! Not even taking Lansoprazole."

Maxadolf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2015

"Diagnosed with borderline hypertension - doctor asked what I wanted to do about it, treat or monitor? I said treat and doc prescribed 1.25 Ramipril and I feel much healthier since started treatment. Fewer headaches, decreased stomach acid and improved erections. Unbelievable yes, but a real bonus - has anyone seen similar benefits?"

wolfson July 6, 2011

"I am a 75 year old man, who I feel is in good health with not much time spent at the doctors, that is until I was put on Ramipril. I was told this was for high blood pressure. After about 4 weeks I came out in very large red lumps( looked a little like water blisters, they were about the same size as a 50p piece). They were all over the top of my body and were itchy. At the time I didn't know it was these tablets, so I stopped for a couple of days and the rashes cleared. Tried again today and waiting to see what happens."

Anonymous May 7, 2011

Altace (ramipril): "I started on Altace for blood pressure of 145/90. Brought my BP down to 130's and 80's. During this period (2yrs) I had a cough that progressively got worse, to the point everyone thought I was catching a cold. I would cough everyday. By the end of the second year when I would cough I would gag and cough up clear liquid. I spoke to the doctor and she said "Oh no, your cough is not from this." Well I re-read the pharmacy papers and it was stated that a possible side effect of this medicine is a cough. I called the doctor and told her what I read, she agreed to change my prescription, within a couple of days my cough was gone. So if you have a persistent cough (dry or wet) on any medicines for more than a month please investigate the side effects."

dianaid April 16, 2011

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking lowest dose at 1.5 with a few side effects, headache, blemishes on my skin which became quite irritable and itchy. My blood pressure started at 220/140 dropping to 153/98 so doctors increased dose to 2.5 and now blood pressure between 143/98 134/88. I will speak to doctors again as I am suffering with tiredness and bouts of high blood pressure noticible with my face burning and cheeks flushing. I must be the unlucky one that has picked up side effects."

firework January 6, 2011

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Altace (ramipril): "I have used Altace for more than 5 years with excellent results and no side effects."

jimjk December 15, 2009

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on ramipril for about 5 months now, titrated from 2.5mg to 20mg, and have had no side effects on it. One thing I have noticed, at least for myself, is that it would appear to act in an all or nothing fashion; when the dosage I was at was insufficient, it caused no real reduction in my blood pressure values. However, when I was finally moved to twenty milligrams, the ramipril dropped those same values by 30/15 (systolic/diastolic). This is of course not to say that this will occur in anyone else, but is just my personal experience."

RobertWPike May 5, 2009

"I was on Altace 10mg for approximately 5 years with good success at controlling my high blood pressure. Recently I was switched to generic ramipril and the effects appear to be the same. Overall good control."

Anonymous April 13, 2009

Altace (ramipril): "I've been on Altace for 6 years. I carefully analyze if I've noticed any changes in any organ system, as well as any type of side effect that didn't exist before I was on this drug. I honestly have never noticed any kind of side effect at all from day one. More importantly, my blood pressure is now routinely around 110/70...sometimes slightly lower still. Considering that I take one 10mg capsule daily, and that my blood pressure was usually 145/85-95, the results are quite impressive."

Nyyfan January 8, 2009

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate