User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Seroquel XR review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Depression

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by shellwoo:

I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine.

September 25, 2013 2:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!

June 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.

May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med

April 30, 2013 5:19 AM

Review by Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants.

April 23, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by angela offer:

Quetiapine 25mg used to get over Post traumatic stress disorder post Mental Health problems caused by an allergy to Valium. Presently taking 50% of a tablet at night.

December 16, 2012 9:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had HORRIBLE hot flashes.

July 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Review by Angrybird:

Was taken off Geodon because of night-time anxiety and put on Seroquel XR. I feel so unmotivated. Sedated. I no more feel better by afternoon when it's time to take it again. I dread the next dose. Haven't felt this depressed in a while.

April 11, 2012 2:34 PM

I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Review by Nix2012:

I've had depression for 12 years, and have been on Paxil about 10. The Paxil worked for a few years, but the anxiety and depression slowly worked its way back into my life. So along with the Paxil they added other drugs (Effexor, Wellbutrin) but they made me even more anxious. I was finally put on regular Seroquel and found it worked for a little while, but I was so tired all the time I couldn't function the next day. I was literally fired from 3 jobs from being stuck in bed and refusing to get up. I was switched to Seroquel XR 100mg last year combined with the 90mgs of Paxil I'm still on, and I've found a drastic improvement in my mood, anger and anxiety. My only complaint would be how sleepy it makes me in the mornings. A large coffee or a caffeinated beverage does the trick though and its worth the sleepiness to have some peace of mind.

January 18, 2012 9:22 PM

Review by Bueler:

The first night I took this medication, I almost ran out of breath before climbing the stairs from the basement to my room (it's as if my respiratory system was somewhat repressed). It also caused some chest/heart pain. On the other hand, I slept well for those two nights. The side effects may be more dangerous than one's condition. Please be careful.

November 7, 2011 11:40 PM

Seroquel XR is very good. It boost up my energy. After trying other medications this is the best with little side effects. In the morning you feel like staying in bed and weight gain because of hunger craving.

September 18, 2011 10:55 AM

Read a lot of bad things about Seroquel on the web. After a couple days tried it myself (100 mg a night) and I've found it amazing. It really helps with my anxiety and my hyperactive behavior. Just feel a lot more calm and settled in general. Don't believe everything you read. Just try it for a few nights and see how it suits you. Everyone is different.

June 2, 2011 8:28 PM

Seroquel XR has changed my life. I feel I am present again in my world. Before taking this medication I had very little hope that I would ever feel enthusiastic about life. I recognize myself again. I can't say enough about how excited I am about living. I tried so many therapies and had given up hope anything would work. The combination of my antidepressant and Seroquel XR was the key for me.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2011 5:30 PM

Review by Symptomz:

I recently started Seroquel 50 MG for the first couple days and then up to 150 MG. This medication works great! It creates anxiolytic effects similar to Klonopin and relieves all my anxiety. I sleep well to. This medicine really knocks you out and makes you very sedated. Take at night. I can actually function thanks to this medication and it works excellently for paranoia, anxiety and depression also found it to work greatly for sleep. I was previously on Abilify which was very activating and gave me a lot of anxiety and I couldn't sleep more than 1-2 hours. On Seroquel I sleep a full 8 hours and I wake up refreshed and ready for the day. It controls my anxiety and works wonders. Side effects are: No sex drive and drowsiness.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2011 7:23 PM

Review by ssr94sundown:

Was put on this medication for mood stabilization as well as for sleep. At the lowest dose it made me excessively drowsy the next day. As for the mood stabilization all it did there was make me have violent outbursts while on the medication.

August 18, 2010 1:55 PM

Review by What's Up Doc:

It helps. Will make you feel better about yourself.

March 22, 2010 3:47 PM

Review by pipper:

The drug is good at making one feel good, but the weight gain is bad!!

January 21, 2010 9:16 AM

Review by 55 female:

It seems to be very helpful for my depression, anxiety, adult ADD and overall mood. Seroquel XR also seems to have no noticeable side effects and I sleep great. I've been taking 2 of the 300mg, in the evening, now for 2 months.

October 17, 2009 10:05 PM

I was put on this medicine very aggressively (200mg, quickly upped to 400mg) after a suicide attempt. As an antidepressant it is more effective than the first line medications like citalopram. And will help with sleep and a lack of hunger. However I absolutely hate the side effects. It is often said that antipsychotics "steal your soul" or act like a "mental prison". I would have to agree. To begin with this was fine, with severe depression I was happy to take any way out. However after about 6 months of this I decided enough was enough. Now I'm off it my personality is back.

April 10, 2009 7:02 AM