User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Bipolar Disorder 46 reviews 48 medications

5.2
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 84 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Seroquel XR

Review by Mikfr:

For Depression: I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by GetOffMyMeds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Does not improve my quality of life. Depression continued and developed major cognitive disfunction. I could not even communicate what was happening to me or for any wants or needs.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by mnj34113:

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel XR has changed my life! I tried regular Seroquel and it's like having your head in a bucket. The XL version feels like a completely different medicine. I take 100 mg at night. I wake up refreshed, happy, eager to start my day, I also take Lamictal 300 mg in the morning. No side effects from either medicine. I have been on both for about 7 years. I have been depressed once in that time and it was situational.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by DeadBunny (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: All the other medications I have been on produced horrible side effects. Seroquel works great and the only side effect is sleepiness. Stable at 600mg and quite pleased.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by The Neon Scibble:

For Bipolar Disorder: Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps.

March 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

For Depression: I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part.

December 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by shellwoo:

For Depression: I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Review by Chris778 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizophrenia: From the age of eleven to seventeen, I lost touch to reality, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me cause I didn't tell my real problems. I was living in an imaginary world. At the age of seventeen I was finally able to express some of my problems, and got started on Seroquel XR, day by day I had the feeling of becoming normal again, and regained the control over my own life. I still have issues from all the problems that involved my past, but I can truly say that I got control back. I truly think Seroquel XR saved my life.

October 5, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine.

September 25, 2013 2:11 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I take this medication for its side effects primarily. It works great if you have severe insomnia. This medicine makes you very hungry when you take it. It also helps to relive anxious feelings and help calm feelings of stress. Again my doctor prescribed this medicine due to weight loss, insomnia, anxiety. This is not what the medicine is exactly made for but I have tried dozens of medicines and this is the only one that has helped with my problems.

August 18, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by nikkkiii (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It worked well, my moods were more stable. The only downfall was that I gained 20 pounds. As a bulimic and anorexic this terrified me. I ended up going off of it to lose the weight.

June 24, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!

June 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by maybeimadreamer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I take this medication for Bipolar II and it has been amazing at stabilizing my moods. I no longer feel filled with rage and irritability and no longer have issues with impulsive thoughts. The big problem that I am having with this medication is horrendous weight gain. I exercise at least three times a week and eat well, yet I have gained 20kg (44.09 pounds) in the 8 months that I have been on this medicine. Another issue I have is vivid dreams. But I think this is just a sign of getting deep and sound sleep - something I could never achieve prior to taking this medicine. It is amazing but a nightmare all rolled into one.

May 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med

April 30, 2013 5:19 AM

Review by Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants.

April 23, 2013 4:24 PM