User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Bipolar Disorder 58 reviews 33 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 8 reviews 46 medications

5.8
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 113 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Seroquel XR

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently 30 and a male. My depression has only worsened since (and before) my initial diagnosis of depression and generalized, social and "acute" anxiety 13 years ago. I've been in a major depression for at least five years, tried to kill myself twice and am unable to take care of myself. I've lived alone since I left for college in 2003. I still live alone here. I've been on any SSRI I can think of, so this was a last resort med. Seroquel has made me much too tired to work or do anything else. The only stars I gave it relate to the reduced anxiety when I'm ACTUALLY AWAKE. Other than that, I'm more numb than I ever and are at risk of losing my job"

Might be done January 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on citolopram (celexa), lithium 1250 mg daily and olanzapine 20 mg and a lot of benzos. A state run mental health clinic opened in a local town so I stopped seeing the private psychiatrist and started to attend the public clinic. The psychiatrist was revolutionary. She immediately stopped the anti-depressant because it was elevating mood into mania. She dropped lithium to one dose at night to aid kidney wear and tear. She stopped olanzapine because I was still having mild persistent psychosis and put me on 800mg of quetiapine (seroquel). The first week was tough I was very nauseous and sleepy but once my body adjusted it was much better. The mix of quetiapine and lithium is really working for me."

mrsnowe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently taking 150mg seroquel XR along with 45mg Remeron for MDD I take them both at night, To help with my sleep. It also is to help my anxiety disorder. I've noticed that I am less depressed and anxious, But that's only because I'm so depersonalised I can't focus on my surroundings, Let alone my anxiety I constantly feel stuck in a dream-like state and I can't focus. Even as I write this I'm struggling to find the words,and describe how I feel, Because I don't feel much of anything I haven't had many other side effects, even when I drastically increased the dose All in all, It technically does help, But this is no way to live"

Haley_1182 December 28, 2015

For Depression "I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life."

robbieMac (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Absolutely amazing drug. Has quite literally saved my life. Pity I need to lie to the Australian government about having bipolar to get it prescribed. No doubt this is stopping many thousands of Australians from getting access to it. Seriously. I went from suicidal for several months to absolutely normal in one dose. One dose. Talk to your doctor about this if anti depressants are not working for you. Understand it may require you to lie about having bipolar."

BelindaAUS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Depression "My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit."

Arri (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

For Depression "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope."

Issy96 November 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "This was the absolute worst medication i have ever taken. What a nightmare!! To begin with I was taking Duloxetine 60 mg 1x a day, Wellburtin Xl 300mg 1x a day, Valium 10mg 3x a day, morphine 30 mg 2x a day oxycodone 20mg 4x a day. I was doing just fine or do I thought. I had a change of Doctors, due to the fact that my Doctor left this practice. Not sure the reason for this medication. Never Again!! After starting that medication once it really got in my system, my worst fear came to reality. I totally went outside my mind to the point my daughter was so scared of my behavior she called the EMS. Upon arrival at the ER, after blood work was told I was overly medicated. Never Never Again!!! Awful!!"

Pony56 October 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I use Seroquel XR in addition to Tegretol XR and Geodon. It is sort of the adjunct to these primary medications. But it does it's job at keeping me stable when the base medication mix falls short."

Quitosenko (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking seroquel for a little over a year and a half now and it has been the best thing for me. I started off at 350mg when my mania was insanely uncontrollable. But after 2 months I was able to go down to 250 and ever since its been perfect because I don't fight the drowsiness in the mornings and get a great nights rest. I did gain weight, only 20 pounds, but I have always been extremely athletic (2 sport collegiate athlete) and it didn't really affect me at all. Just as long as it keeps the manic/depressive episodes on lock down I think I can handle a curvier body. I seriously reccommend this if you can handle a little weight gain!"

Ann2002 October 8, 2015

For Depression "I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life."

Kmtdstr (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "*English is not my main language, so if something is not understood, know why* From the age 16 to 17 I had depression and I had social anxiety, then I tried to kill myself and went into a mental hospital. The trauma I had there made me do the same thing again. They tried every single medicationon on me, and than they decided seroquel xr is the best med for me. It really made me be balanced, but also made be apathetic and not connected to my feelings and thoughts. My memory was terrible, and I barely talked. I stopped taking it for one day and went into a manic-psychotic mood and I'm writing it from another mental hospital. I'm happy that I stopped taking this, I wanna feel alive, not like a zombie"

Liah September 6, 2015

For Depression "Hate this med. Constantly sick on it. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, passing out, severe dizziness and unable to wake up. Hungry for food all the time. Nasty taste in mouth. Thirsty all the time. Can't motivate myself to do anything. This was on the lowest dose available. Won't take it ever again don't care what my doctor says. No way."

sick constantly (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Took Seroquel XR for about 2 months, experienced help with sleep issues for about a week before that wore off. Gained at least 20 lbs in this time frame, due to increased appetite and general weight gain due to the drug. Never really seemed to help my bipolar disorder- the other medicines I take do that."

kingofredlions (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

"I was on Seroquel XR 350 mg for 3 years to treat clinical depression and anxiety. The only problems were the weight gain (about 80 pounds in 3 years), a general "zombie" feeling that made concentrating a little difficult, and some short-term memory problems but all of that was worth it since my moods were finally stable. Come to find out I was misdiagnosed and now I'm being treated with Topamax for Bipolar II, but if that doesn't work, it's back to Seroquel. I suggest trying it to anyone who hasn't had luck with other medications. Once you get past 150 mg it might knock you out pretty quick, so take it at night and give yourself enough time for a solid 8 hours because you might not wake up before that."

Sarcastrophe August 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine works great but the side effects was just to much. Gained 83 pounds in 9 months of being on it."

TyTy3643 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2015

For Depression "In the beginning I was on 300 mg of seroquel (not extended release) for 3 years. Got pregnant they took me off. I moved provinces they ended up putting me back on a smaller dose 150mg sleeping wise I would go to sleep right away and stay asleep all night. For the past 2 months they decided to put me on 150mg seroquel xl now it takes me hours to fall asleep and I wake up constantly throughout the night and have a hard time falling back asleep! I feel like xl does not work near as good depression wise and sleeping wise."

Amanda7106 July 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication completely changed my life. My diagnosis is mixed rapid-cycling bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Before my regimine, I would suffer a week of depression, followed by a day of dangerous mixed affective episode, followed by a few hours of euphoria before the process wouls begin all over again. I had ruminating, and intrusive thoughts; panic atacks; anxiety; extreme guilt; dissociation and suicidal ideation (and a few near-attempts.) But, within weeks of the therapeutic dose my mood stabilized; my anxiety dropped off; my obsessive and intrusive ruminations relinquished their hold; and, unexpectedly, I gained a spectrum of emotions I didn't even know I lacked (and that was the best thing of all.) Truly life-altering"

Srztanjur (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I went from talking 120mgs of Cymbalta to taking 150 mgs of Seroquel XR just over one year ago. I fortunately did not suffer from any if the initial side effects that I've now researched & have learned are really common when starting this medication. However, 1 month ago, I'm not sure why but I ended up missing 2 nightly doses. What I experienced was nothing short of being in hell, literally. I physically was incapable of movement, getting up to simply get to the restroom was near impossible, every muscle in my body was weak & near useless. I couldn't do anything but remain in a fetal position curled up on my side for the duration of over 12 hours. My head was cloudy, confused & unable to process any thought. After this experience, I want off"

MarkyBy June 21, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I lost touch with reality for quite a while. I mainly use this as a sleep aid, but I am a paranoid schizophrenic. As far as symptoms of my schizophrenia, it helps. However, whenever it's about time to take my dose I notice my condition worsening a lot. If I take it late, I am loopy and a bit delusion, but I hold a steady job that requires us to work late some days. Also, if I am just having an overall bad day, it seems to not help my symptoms at all. I am pretty sure I would be a lot worse without this medication. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I got a card from the doctor making my prescription only cost around 17 bucks. If I didn't have that card, it would be about 80 bucks with my work insurance. 400 or something with none."

Rest In Pieces (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was recently diagnosed with bipolar and began taking 25-50mgs a night to aid insomnia because at the time I felt relatively well. I appear to be one of the few to embrace the side effect of increased appetite, when I'm manic, depressed or even the slightest bit anxious my appetite disappears. I can go weeks without feeling the need to eat and I love eating! I used to smoke alot of pot to help with my appetite and racing thoughts. I'm now taking 150mg XR at night as I'm currently having a mixed episode. It helps quieten my mind and slows me down a little but I don't feel in any way zombified, at night soon after taking I get sleepy but that's about it!"

Eeyore85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015