User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Schizoaffective Disorder 2 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 78 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Seroquel XR

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by DeadBunny (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: All the other medications I have been on produced horrible side effects. Seroquel works great and the only side effect is sleepiness. Stable at 600mg and quite pleased.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by The Neon Scibble:

For Bipolar Disorder: Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

For Depression: I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part.

December 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by shellwoo:

For Depression: I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Review by Chris778 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizophrenia: From the age of eleven to seventeen, I lost touch to reality, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me cause I didn't tell my real problems. I was living in an imaginary world. At the age of seventeen I was finally able to express some of my problems, and got started on Seroquel XR, day by day I had the feeling of becoming normal again, and regained the control over my own life. I still have issues from all the problems that involved my past, but I can truly say that I got control back. I truly think Seroquel XR saved my life.

October 5, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine.

September 25, 2013 2:11 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I take this medication for its side effects primarily. It works great if you have severe insomnia. This medicine makes you very hungry when you take it. It also helps to relive anxious feelings and help calm feelings of stress. Again my doctor prescribed this medicine due to weight loss, insomnia, anxiety. This is not what the medicine is exactly made for but I have tried dozens of medicines and this is the only one that has helped with my problems.

August 18, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by nikkkiii (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It worked well, my moods were more stable. The only downfall was that I gained 20 pounds. As a bulimic and anorexic this terrified me. I ended up going off of it to lose the weight.

June 24, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!

June 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.

May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by maybeimadreamer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I take this medication for Bipolar II and it has been amazing at stabilizing my moods. I no longer feel filled with rage and irritability and no longer have issues with impulsive thoughts. The big problem that I am having with this medication is horrendous weight gain. I exercise at least three times a week and eat well, yet I have gained 20kg (44.09 pounds) in the 8 months that I have been on this medicine. Another issue I have is vivid dreams. But I think this is just a sign of getting deep and sound sleep - something I could never achieve prior to taking this medicine. It is amazing but a nightmare all rolled into one.

May 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med

April 30, 2013 5:19 AM

Review by Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants.

April 23, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by NattyBoo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar II about 5 yrs ago and I've tried everything on the market nothing worked for me except Seroquel. Right now I take 300 mg twice per day and I'm so stable. I'm loving it problem though with Seroquel is that its a major weight gainer. I would stop taking it on and off when I felt better but then would use other meds to bandage my symptoms...get back on then off again...until one day I decided to stop with the denial and allow someone to help me for real. I've been on it now faithfully for 9 months...but I've put on 60lbs! It makes me eat after hours in the middle of the night. I'm depressed because of the weight gain. So I workout at home at times trying to be more consistent. You have to work this medicine.

March 8, 2013 11:56 PM

Review by Ori (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was one of the unlucky ones who's prolactin levels skyrocketed. I was only on 100mg, with a plan to ramp my way up to 500 over the course of 10 weeks, which was obviously vetoed when my chest started swelling quite noticeably. Lactation isn't worth what's essentially only a sleeping pill at <500mg doses.

January 19, 2013 7:39 PM

Review by Whimpy23:

For Bipolar Disorder: Completely non functional, just not for me, I cut the 25 mg ones into Quarters, ONLY if I'm a little too hyper before I go to sleep.

January 9, 2013 5:25 AM

Review by lynnpl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been in and out of mental health clinics for a long time..just trying to find something to slow my racing thoughts and make me feel like life is bearable. I've taken benzodiazepines..only to become drug seeking and take too many and need early refils, thereby being forced by prescriber to wean off. Done SSRI's with no effect whatsoever. Remeron made me gain 40 pounds in like 2 months time and didn't help me sleep. Marijuana made me paranoid. I just started some new therapy and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and post traumatic stress disorder. She gave me Seroquel XR and my mind is calm and I sleep good on it. I'm still on a pretty low dose..going up to 100mg tonight and then 150mg on 2 days. Just hope I don't gain weight but so far I feel productive and my mind is quiet.

December 29, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: Got rid of psychotic symptoms but I had an allergic reaction and had to go off it. Made me feel drunk after I took it so I had to go right to bed. I would stumble around if I got out of bed. Made me sweat and salivate more. I found olanzapine a better fit.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2012 11:11 PM

Review by angela offer:

For Depression: Quetiapine 25mg used to get over Post traumatic stress disorder post Mental Health problems caused by an allergy to Valium. Presently taking 50% of a tablet at night.

December 16, 2012 9:44 PM