User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Depression 30 reviews 75 medications

6.5
Summary of Seroquel XR reviews 93 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Seroquel XR

Review by Rest In Pieces (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: I lost touch with reality for quite a while. I mainly use this as a sleep aid, but I am a paranoid schizophrenic. As far as symptoms of my schizophrenia, it helps. However, whenever it's about time to take my dose I notice my condition worsening a lot. If I take it late, I am loopy and a bit delusion, but I hold a steady job that requires us to work late some days. Also, if I am just having an overall bad day, it seems to not help my symptoms at all. I am pretty sure I would be a lot worse without this medication. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I got a card from the doctor making my prescription only cost around 17 bucks. If I didn't have that card, it would be about 80 bucks with my work insurance. 400 or something with none.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 8:23 PM

Review by Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2015 5:02 PM

Review by Daisy323:

For Bipolar Disorder: At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2015 5:31 PM

Review by Eeyore85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was recently diagnosed with bipolar and began taking 25-50mgs a night to aid insomnia because at the time I felt relatively well. I appear to be one of the few to embrace the side effect of increased appetite, when I'm manic, depressed or even the slightest bit anxious my appetite disappears. I can go weeks without feeling the need to eat and I love eating! I used to smoke alot of pot to help with my appetite and racing thoughts. I'm now taking 150mg XR at night as I'm currently having a mixed episode. It helps quieten my mind and slows me down a little but I don't feel in any way zombified, at night soon after taking I get sleepy but that's about it!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2015 9:00 AM

Review by calebcass1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Works great for me

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2015 11:09 PM

Review by cdfig83:

For Depression: Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy.

February 20, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by dustbowl (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking this for five years and have never been better. I think you just have to find what works for you. My Psych Doc is the best!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by Skr1259 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Schizophrenia: When I was 14 I was put on 450mg/day before bed time and within 6 months I gained 25-30 pounds. It worked super well to get rid of my hallucinations (including the tactile ones) but it made me extremely zombie-like. My grades slipped at school, and I slept as soon as I got home till the next morning. The first day I slept 22 hours. This medicine made me so hungry all the time and no matter how much I ate I was never full.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by PixelPop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Unfortunately after more than a year, pervasive stuff like weight gain, increased lipids, diabetes all started to be present. Great for a while but I started toned more of it to deal with psychotic symptoms and the sedative nature of it got in the way. Swapped to paliperidone ER, which is more focused on the psychotic symptoms and doing well without the sedation.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 4:46 AM

Review by Mikfr:

For Depression: I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.

November 28, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel.

November 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by GetOffMyMeds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Does not improve my quality of life. Depression continued and developed major cognitive disfunction. I could not even communicate what was happening to me or for any wants or needs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by mnj34113:

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years.

November 9, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel XR has changed my life! I tried regular Seroquel and it's like having your head in a bucket. The XL version feels like a completely different medicine. I take 100 mg at night. I wake up refreshed, happy, eager to start my day, I also take Lamictal 300 mg in the morning. No side effects from either medicine. I have been on both for about 7 years. I have been depressed once in that time and it was situational.

October 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by DeadBunny (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: All the other medications I have been on produced horrible side effects. Seroquel works great and the only side effect is sleepiness. Stable at 600mg and quite pleased.

April 25, 2014 6:24 PM

Review by The Neon Scibble:

For Bipolar Disorder: Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps.

March 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

For Depression: I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part.

December 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by shellwoo:

For Depression: I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM