Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Qsymia

Learn more about Qsymia.

Qsymia review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Qsymia to treat Weight Loss

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking the medication five months ago at a starting weight of about 325 and have lost a little over 70 pounds since then. Only significant side effects have been dry mouth and increased thirst which I count as beneficial because they have caused me to significantly increase my water intake. Weight loss was very rapid at first (probably water weight) and then leveled off to 2-3.5 pounds per week. Qsymia definitely helps control hunger, but it does not eliminate your ability to eat a lot if you chose to. It just gives you the choice. So you have to do your part by making diet changes (limiting portion sizes, eliminating sodas, limiting sweets and fast foods, etc.) and exercising to the extent you are able to get results.

April 17, 2015 12:04 PM

Review by Nana1960 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

At 220 pounds and 5' 0" I was out of control with my eating. My BMI was 43. I had to do something. I tried every over the counter diet pill there was. Finally my Dr prescribed Qsymia. I have been on it since August 2014 and have lost 89 pounds. My goal is to lose a total of 110 pounds. Dry mouth and constipation are the worst side effects, but I can deal with those. I have gone from a size 22 pants to a size 12....bust size has gone from 40DD to 36C. I now know how to eat and what not to eat to keep the weight off. I will continue on Qsymia until August. 21 more pounds to go to reach my goal of 110!

April 17, 2015 6:55 AM

I have been using the product for 2 1/2 months I weighed 267 and now I weigh 242 losing a total of 25 lbs so far. This product helped to lower my blood pressure and give me a boost. Some side affects were insomnia the first week but that went away and dry mouth. My doctor advised me reduce my calorie intake to 1200 ( don't stay consistently below or your hair will fall out) and exercise 5 days a week ... I hope to lose at least 67lbs total

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 1:48 PM

Review by Laiza lee:

I started Qsymia on the 24th of February 2015, I'm 5"2 and was weighing 192. I weighed myself Thursday March 5th and lost 10lbs. The only side effect I get is dry mouth so I drink lots of water. I totally cut carbs, sugars, and soda. I'm excited to start the 7.5 mg tomorrow I will keep you posted. I was at borderline for diabetes and sure don't want to be diabetic. I'm total loving this medication.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by BeckyIrons (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been using this medication for 1 month and have lost 15 lbs. I have been very fortunate and the only side effect I have experienced is a bit of a dry mouth. That has not been bothersome it has only encouraged me to drink more water. I have continued exercising 4-5 days/week. What has been a real blessing is I have not been obsessed with food and I cannot recall a time when food was a main focus of my thoughts.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 4:12 PM

Review by Dee6459:

I am losing quite a bit of weight 65 pounds, but I do not want to lose my hair in the process of it. It is really falling out and I don't know what to do. I went to a dermatologist and after a few treatments and a biopsy she told me there was nothing she could do.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 12:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Qysmia in October 2014 with the free two week starter pack lowest dosage and then moved to the next dosage level . It Immeadiately began to work. I did experience dry mouth, a very slight tingle in my fingers and confused thinking for the first month. Those side effects where all temporary and did pass. As for my appetite it has changed considerably. It is under control, I eat what I decide to eat! Im not hungry, not thinking about food & not overeating. I am 53, had not been excercising and have lost 14lbs in 2 1/2 months. However I am starting my excercise program today because I do want the full benefit of both the weight loss and to be in good physical health. My goal is to reach 127lbs by May of this year, good luck to all!!

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 10:35 AM

Review by Kobe's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started at 199lbs. (Barely at the 30 BMI required to take this medication) After 3 months, I'm down to 175 and still going strong. For my height, I should weigh around 160. I've had problems with weight loss since I hit my 40s plus it's hard for me to workout at times due to arthritis. This medication isn't a cure all but it does help when you are ready for a life change. My insurance does not pay for this yet even with a prior authorization but I'm willing to pay the monthly price.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 9:13 AM

Review by ckhallmark2000 (taken for less than 1 month):

Well I took my first pill this morning 12/13/2014 from the 2 week free trial package. Will keep you posted. Am supposed to eat a vegetarian diet and walk 45 minutes to an hour 5 to 6 days a week. No alcohol (I don't drink so no problem there) but not sure how difficult the vegetarian diet will be. No meat at all including fish.

December 13, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by f.tatum:

My weight in April was 279lbs I've have lost 85 pounds so far. Still losing weight about 2 pounds a week, this weight loss is done without any exercise whatsoever thanks to taking Qysmia.

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 8:14 AM

Review by Girlonamisson (taken for less than 1 month):

I started on the lower dose on 11/4/14. My starting weight was 301. 2 weeks later I went up a dose. On 12/4/14 my weight was 261 and I am still on the 7.5mg dosage. My doctor was so shocked when she saw me. She said the average person loses 1-2lbs a week and I've managed to lose about 10lbs a week. I also told her I cut out carbs and sugars. I no longer look at food as if I have to have it. I now look at food as a necessary nutrient my body needs to live. It is the best decision I've ever made.

222 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by missbee:

I started taking Qsymia one year ago in October and I have lost a total of 80 lbs. (29 lbs. to goal). I'm a 28 year old female, 5'6 with a starting weight of 269 lbs. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome so weight loss has been a difficult journey for me and my doctor and I decided to try this medication. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results. This allows me to stick to a strict 1500 calorie a day meal plan (set by my doctor for my specific needs). I also workout for 30-45 minutes a day for 4 to 5 days a week. I add that, to say that you do have to put in some work in order to get the best benefits from this medicine. I haven't experienced any negative side effects. I see my doctor for monthly weigh-ins and vital checks just to make sure.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 4:28 AM

Review by KD32 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on it for 11 days so far and I've lost 22lbs. I started out at 301lbs and now I'm 279lbs. That's just with the free starter dose. I completely cut out carbs, sweets and soda. I went for a weigh in today and my doctor almost didn't recognize me. Most people lose an average of 5-7lbs their first 2 weeks but my 2 weeks isn't up until Monday. I haven't exercised at all due to my 10-15 hour work days. I told my doctor I think I lost it this fast because I have no desire to eat. All I do is drink water. I try and force myself to eat but all I get in is a few bites of a protein bar all day. I have severe dry mouth. I'm going to try the next strength up next week and see how that goes. My goal is 199lbs.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 11:35 PM

Review by Lakegirlfromfl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lost 20 lbs in three months side effects were tingling feet, insomnia , irritability and metallic taste of soda. Side effects were worth the weight loss that I was unable to lose otherwise . I am mid sixties and thirty lbs overweight . My doctor gave me another three month prescription and I hope to reach my goal. I have more energy and am exercising for the first time in 15 years. It is expensive, but worth it.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Tired Momma (taken for less than 1 month):

I began taking Qsymia about 3 weeks ago and I am down a little over 10lbs already which is awesome! I am 5'5'' and weighed 184 when I began taking it. Had my 3rd child about a year ago, and needed some help losing the weight this time. Diet soda definitely tastes flat and gross now, and I used to love it. I have also noticed that I seem to space out, and forget things a lot more than I used to. I do work full time and have an infant that doesn't sleep well to take care of, but I (and my husband) definitely notice a change since I've been on it. I also get the dry mouth, but usually only notice it in the mornings when I wake up since I make sure to drink plenty of fluids during the day. Really not hungry at all - love it!!

November 5, 2014 8:02 AM

Review by Pigmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 62 years old and I have been taking Qsymia for 2 months and have lost 22 pounds. Qsymia does require me to drink alot of water and has controlled alot of my "sugar" eating. I was a Diet Dr. Pepper addict and cannot stand the taste of one now. Water has totally replaced all diet drinks. I was very hesitant to start this medication for fear of side effects, but have not had any issues other than dry mouth. Because of some orthopedic issues, I am not able to participate in physical exercise--my weight is still dropping. I have also seen a definite drop in my blood pressure with this medication; therefore, requiring changes in my blood pressure medication. I hope to continue on this medication for two or three more months.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2014 10:14 PM

Review by Libra_ladee81:

I was prescribed Qsymia back in January but did not start taking it until 3/23/14 starting weight 292 I am now down to 228. I have never felt better my A1C was 6.6 in January in July it was 5.6 hoping when I go on November to be completely rid of this diabetes nonsense. I feel fantastic. I had minor side effects tingly toes and dry mouth but that went away after the first week. Hoping my doctor will keep me on until my goal weight of 180/190. Since she said I could be on it for a year. I only pay 10 dollars for 30 pills which is great but with my old insurance it was 80 that is why I took so long to start it.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Just starting (taken for less than 1 month):

Just wanted to let everyone know that many insurance companies are starting to cover qsymia (if you have insurance)with prior authorization from your physician. My copay is only $15

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by YaSiWei:

I'm 5'7 and 6 weeks ago I weighed 210 lbs. I started at the low dose for two weeks and lost 8lbs, and at the middle dose I lost 17lbs more. I've had minimal side-effects: toe and finger numbness that lasts for a few minutes and some dry mouth. Certainly nothing that I would consider stopping for. I love this pill. I have no interest in food and am so rarely hungry. It is pricey- please go to their website and get the first two weeks free and $100 off every month after that. It is worth it, I think I'm saving that in food costs.

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by RLA1956 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Update: Started with the low dose on 7/14/14 for two weeks and moved to the higher does thereafter. Have been on Qsymia since that time and it is now 9/9/14 and I have lost 21 lbs. 57 year old woman, 5' 6". Doing well and want to keep going. Hoping to lose 50 lbs. by the end of the year.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Texansgirl:

UPDATE: 9/09/2014....It's been 8 weeks since I started Qsymia July 13, 2014, I've lost 13 pounds. I started at 241 and now weigh 228! I honestly have to say I have never weighed past 230 since I had my third son who's 13 years old! I'm happy to say the scale does not go up as it would when I've tried everything else! I love Qsymia and hope I can convince my Dr. to continue to prescribe this pill till I reach my goal weight! I am so happy! I will scream when I get to 225 or 220! My goal weight is 175. Just in time for the holidays!! I feel great and lighter! Drinking plenty of water, coconut water and walking! Will continue to keep you all posted.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by LooMi$ (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started taking Qsymia in November 2012. I tipped the beams at 264lbs, by July I was down to 199lbs and had a heart attack! Don't be alarmed, the doctors all said it was nothing to do with the medication. It was a blockage due to all the crap I had ingested over the years. I'm still currently taking Qsymia still at 200 lbs. I'm not exercising like I was and I can eat anything I like in moderation. I feel great, dropped 4 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes. With no side effects after the first couple weeks. So does it work??? YES... But it's expensive!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by sheisfierce83:

I have only taken the 14 day supply, two pills left and I have lost a total of 12lbs so far. This is without exercise but I do plan on incorporating this now that the lightheadness is gone. I drink plenty of water with this pill I started this on Aug the 25th so I say they work for me. So imagine when I work out wow.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2014 8:19 AM

Review by Nycchik23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Over the years I have gained a good amount of weight and it seems no matter what diet I tried after 2 weeks I found myself cheating and felt like a failure. I was always in good physical shape but in my 30's that changed. My dr suggested Qsymia to me and put me on it in June. Since then I have successfully lost 29 pounds. I exercise, I eat what I want but the portions are controlled and I only treat myself to a sliver of cake or sweets once a week. I exercise 3 times a week. I have had no side effects except once in awhile a dry mouth. I give Qsymia a thumbs up-- it has given me back my confidence and has allowed me to learn to control my eating.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 10:49 AM

Review by gettingslim (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Update: Went to the doctor on 08/02/2014, down 32 pound. I really love these pills. Really no side effects. A little numbness in the fingers but go away quickly. Will continue to take until I reach my weight lost goal of 50 pounds.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 4:14 PM