User Reviews for Qsymia

Learn more about Qsymia.

Qsymia Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 45 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Qsymia to treat Weight Loss

"Although Qsymia was very effective in helping me curb my appetite and helped me lose weight - lost about 20 lbs in about 5 - it was slow, but was losing and that was great because I wasn't gaining. Problem is if you don't ultimately change your overall eating habits and unless you want to stay on Qsymia forever - at $130/month - or more - depending on your insurance and any discounts that might be available - you will gain your weight back. Personally, I don't want another "temporary" fix....and I don't want to pay $130 +/month to manage my weight....I need to change my mind set....it's all in your mind - if you keep the focus and you want to lose weight you will....that's what I'm telling myself....I need to focus!"

bumpkin April 22, 2016

"After 12 weeks on Qsymia I have lost 20 pounds. Qsymia is NOT a magic diet pill, it will not burn your carbs, or make you change your eating habits, it does ONE thing and one thing only- it will KILL your appetite. My appetite monster on any given day during Qsymia is killed 70-85%. My weight loss has been slow but steady as I realized that my weight loss was 100% dependent on what I SHOVE in my mouth on any given day. I started taking the drug in early February (during flu season) and craved a lot of hot salty soups and comfort foods as I battled several colds and virus's. My weight loss was very slow during that period. You MUST drop your carbs, and boost your protein intake to loose weight. I drink a big fat protein shake every morning."

Tahoemama April 21, 2016

"I went on Q in Feb of 2015 for exactly one month, not a day less. At 5'7 and 173 lbs my Dr needed a pretty serious justification to cut me a prescription but since I suffer with chronic back pain she relented. I'm a 37 year old woman who loves to eat and definitely doesn't work out enough. In a month on Q, I lost close to 15lbs without pretty much any effort. Now comes the reality check: in the next year, I gained it all back. Every.single.pound. I didn't have terrible side effects while on Q, but I did experience chest pains towards the end. So, the lesson here is quite works but you have to do your part. Now, a year later, I got another prescription and I hope this time I will lose the weight and manage to keep it off for good."

Now q-see me, now you dont April 16, 2016

"Started Qsymiaa year ago Feburary, only side affect was the dry mouth that comes and goes! My weight was159 and I'm under 5 feet, which in some case it's considered obesit, I thought I carried it well but it was the heaviest I had ever been. My first two weeks I was down 12 lbs, and as of now I'm 135, and although I still want to shed a least 5 more, I love Qsymiaa, but my insurance has decided there no longer going to cover it, I'm only take it as maintenance drug now 1 every other day, and the weight loss has slowed down I don't want to not be able to get it."

Tee1967 April 3, 2016

"Been taking it sense November 2015 it's now March 2016 I've lost 39 pounds I think the meds are very effective but I have experienced tingling in my fingers & toes also dry mouth but nothing more than that just concerned about the side affects regarding pregnancy I pay about 130 a month cause my insurance wont cover but I feel like its worth the money"

M fergie March 22, 2016

"Here's the deal. Yes - I lost weight. At first, it was great! I exercise on top of it, so I noticed pretty quickly. At the same time, I was eating ... just making better choices and not so ravenous. The side effects started right away and were mild in the beginning - but then - 6 months into it - they were terrible ... I just recently stopped because I couldn't take it. My insomnia was the worse ... I would wak up @ 300 and not be able to fall asleep again, and the depression!!! OMG ... I didn't realize I was kind of getting more and more deep. But I was also convinced that the medicine had to be taken - I HAD to keep losing weight!! Dry mouth, heart palpitations (with chest pain)-would like this last year back!! It's not worth it!"

Mooseskid March 21, 2016

"I was at 260 pounds which made me very scared and determined to do something about it. I started Qsymia on Feb.13 and have only been on the starter dose of 3.75. I have been using MyfitnessPal and tracking my food intake, trying to eat less carbs/sugars and more proteins and more complex carbs (like vegetables and whole grains). I went to doctor today, March 18 and lost 9 pounds. I am super happy. I have the tingling toes and fingers. I have the somewhat blurry vision but it's not that bad. My goal is to get off high blood pressure meds and get to a healty weight. The doctor upped my prescription to 7.5 and I'm hoping for even better results."

DeeDee223 March 18, 2016

"This drug changed my life. Since 6/15 I have lost 85 lbs, changed all my eating habits, went from the obese weight range to the normal weight range. 5 months ago my wife started on Qsymia and she has dropped 60 lbs so far, but more than that it has not been difficult for us, our tastes and habits have changed, and more than that we are enjoying life so much more. I just had a cholesterol screening and my overall was 126, yes I said 126. By the way, I'm 65 and my wife is 64, I've had a quintuple bypass and my wife has had a triple and Qysmia was cleared by our Cardiologist before we started it. It's changed our lives, I wish it had been around 40 years ago."

Tony S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2016

"I started Qysmia on 3/1/16 weighing in at about 217 pounds / 5'3". Started on the lowest trial dose. I'm making a more conscious effort to get up and move, but I can not say that I "work out." I have a sedentary job working as a triage nurse. I did a lot of homework prior to asking my PCP to prescribe it. I have to say that I had many concerns, but I knew that I had to try something. He had never prescribed it before. I talk with people everyday whose medical issues were brought on by their weight and I am scared that I am headed in this direction too. My caloric intake is about 1600/day. No side effects so far. Today is 3/6/16 and I've lost 1.5 pounds. Can't tell yet if it has changed appetite yet or not. Will update again."

Almost 40 Year old Female (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"This medication has worked great. You must drink plenty of water!!! Also start taking it on a Friday or better yet, start Thursday and take Friday and Monday off of work if possible to give your body time to adapt. My body took a few days to adapt when I first started taking Qsymia as well as between dosage changes. Though it was much less noticeable between dosage changes. For me the side effects of blurred vision, not being able to think sharply, feeling jittery, etc. only lasted a few days. If you can take the time to get over the hump, it is totally worth it. Also I have cut out sugar drinks, snacking, eating after dinner. I drink 8-12 16oz bottle of water per day. I have been on Qsymia for 1 month and lost 13lbs."

Works Great!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

"Tried for a couple of days and could get past the blurry vision and agitation."

Blurred vision! (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"I apsolutly love this medication it has helped me tremendously. I suffer from multiple health problems such as planters fasciitis, back problems and arthritis so it's really difficult for me to get to the gym as I should. I started taking qsymia back in 2014 and took them for about 3 months and lost about 20lbs sometimes I watched what I ate sometimes I didn't I never went on a strict diet because I suffer from hypoglycemia so I needed somewhat of sugar. I felt good about my weight got off also because my insurance don't cover the cost. I got back on them about 3 days ago because over the holidays I put some weight on with all the cooking not as much as before but I want to stay healthy.lol Most importantly I never got any side affects."

cvpride February 26, 2016

"I started Qsymia in 2013 at 300 lbs. In 8 months was down about 60 lbs but the side effects became unbearable. Mostly terrible constipation and aggressive behavior and cognitive impairment. Took a break for a few months, then resumed with a little more success. Lost a total of 90, but then put 50 back on. Getting ready to see doctor to try it again. Really want to hit my goal this time."

BeginAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2016

"Run from this medication, it is toxic, I took it from Jan 26,2016 - Feb 13, 2016 , Here is how my doc prescribed it 14 days starter pack, then I started the higher dose on Fri 2/12/16 , Sat was my last day taking that poison, today I feel as if I'm withdrawing from something much stronger that I been on much longer and what's worse this is the only medication I was taking, from day 1, I felt so bad, but I thought it would get better, it never did, it only got worse, here are/ were some of my side effects... dry mouth, fast heart rate, anxiety, insomnia, nervousness, anger, gums hurting, blurred vision, rash, this is from 16 days only, because I skipped a day or two, trust me, stay away from Qsymia, it is not worth any weight loss."

Peayton (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"Checking back in after 12 weeks on Qysmia 7.5mg and I've lost a total of 14lbs! Not bad (5'1- starting at 160lbs, now 146lbs.) This is with a very hectic travel schedule and hit or miss gym workouts. The biggest thing I notice is water intake! I'm rarely hungry but I've always got a dry mouth. If I drink plenty of water, I definitely see results on the scale. If I don't eat enough and especially don't drink enough, the weight loss slows down and the side effects are worse (for me it's hands and feet parasthesia, dry mouth, some racing thoughts). Overall, this is making a HUGE difference in my life, in how I feel, my joints, my energy, confidence, blood pressure, etc. For me, it's well worth the minor discomfort!"

Phoenixrisn (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2016

"Qsymia is awesome I lost like 50 pounds on it without dieting or exercising but I did realize that it was not a good idea to not exercise because when I did stop taking Qsymia I had extra skin that I didn't tighten from where I lost weight and it was sagging. So now I have to figure out how to tighten my tummy. Now I am back to square one since I quit taking it due to change in insurance....... so I have gained more weight now but Qsymia is an awesome diet capsule and it does work........"

destinyshot98 February 8, 2016

"My Dr split the 2 meds up since my insurance would not cover Qsymia. I took it for 8 days and decided I needed to stop. I lost a few lbs but it wasn't because of appetite loss. I was hungry all day. I made myself choose to eat correctly. On top of this I has HORRIBLE side effects. It started with day 1. I didn't feel well, extremely tired and could not get my thoughts together. This continued each day along with dry mouth and dry itchy eyes. My vision was weird and my eyes seemed to be extremely light sensitive. My coworkers made comments to me every day regarding my eyes and why I kept making mistakes. My brain was not functional. I stopped taking topiramate and felt better the first day without it. Had to have eyes checked"

Sacra77 February 5, 2016

"Took this medication to help with weigh loss. It did help with weight loss, but I never felt well. This impacted my ability to exercise, which really decreased my weight loss. Then four months in, I got very ill with a bladder infection that did not clear up. Lots of lower back pain, front pain (where gallbladder is located, but I do not have mine) and continued lack of energy. I mention to my weight loss doctor and am informed that this medication can cause kidney stones. So, I am off this medication and in the process of ruling out what is wrong with me- but most likely kidney stones caused by Qysmia. The pain and doctor bills were not worth the 10 pound weight loss. I would avoid it."

Beavetmm (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

"Female 5'9 beginning weight 221. Lost some weight on my own. Began Qsymia. Lost 50 lbs in 6 months with a great low carb diet and exercise. Maintaining after 1 year but finding I am hungry all the time now. I still take the drug daily. Side effects: my hands would get numb in the beginning ."

Goal met in NC (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2016

"Just completed the 2 week "lower dose" trial. Started at 185 and 5 foot 5. First week I lost 6 pounds and the next week lost 4 also following a 1200 calorie diet. I had zero side effects, other than seems like I had to pee a bit more, but that could be because I am making an effort to drink more water. So far this seems to be, basically, the best diet aid ever."

BST (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

"I'm 5'1 163pds today I started the medication late November at 187pds. I workout 4 days a week"

Prinxe January 31, 2016

"I have been on Qsymia since it has been on the market 2013. This pill is not a miracle pill but if you eat right and exercise on a regular bases you will see results. I was 5'4 and 177 pounds I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and who knew what was coming next. My thyroid had to be removed and I thought I was doomed. Then I tried Qsymia and where I could never lose anything I finally started to lose my weight. Yay ! Side effects, yes tingling in hands and feet but that went away, dry mouth, there is a mouth wash to help with that, can't sleep work out more and believe me you will fall asleep. So I dropped 35 pounds and I have no more high blood pressure no more high cholesterol. I recommend this for anyone who really can't lose ."

Happyme January 28, 2016

"I began treatment on Qsymia under my physician's care in March 2014 at 249 lbs. and followed simple steps towards changing my eating habits and amping up my exercise regimine. It was not an overnight result. I had ups and downs; definitely more positive than negative. Today I weigh 138 lbs. I am a 56 yr old grandmother and feel better and more youthful than I did 15 or more years ago! My eating is a lifestyle, not a diet. My exercise is my therapy that makes me happy. The two combined gives me a healthy body and Qsymia jump-started it all. Going into it with the right frame of mind and determination will make all the difference. Qsymia is the tool that worked for me and I love what it did for me!"

MatchedMet January 23, 2016

"I have been on Qsymia for 4 months. I'm 53 and have lost 21 pounds (this includes through the holidays and over 2 vacations including a cruise where I went off the medication so that I could enjoy the food, and gained 7 lbs and lost it the next week). SIDE EFFECTS: A large amount of hair loss the first week a noticeable decrease in my vision. This freaked me out but no other major side effect after the first week (I still have issues with hair loss, and I am wearing a hair piece - it's a choice that I'm making). I have seen that if you go off this medicine you WILL gain the weight quickly back."

kjt123 January 19, 2016

"I started Qsymia on 1/5/16 at the suggestion of my Dr. I did take this drug about 3 yrs ago with good success also. I have lost 13 lbs in 10 days. I have had a bit of a headache and a bit of trouble staying asleep but not enough for this to be a problem. I am 49 yrs old, 5'2 weigh in at 206 when I started, so I am very happy with how this started out. She did start me off at the 7.5 dose this time with the discussion that if it was uncomfortable to give her a call and we would scale back."

Garden Gal January 16, 2016