User Reviews for Qsymia

Learn more about Qsymia.

Qsymia review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Qsymia to treat Obesity

Review by Beach gal: User Rating:

52 year old Female. I have now been on 7.5 mg for 14 days, 28 days total. Hunger much reduced. Side effects: headaches; ringing in my ears lasted about a week. Still have slight numbness in cheeks. Have lost 13 lbs in 28 days, the most weight I have been able to lose in 12 years - I am thrilled. My morning blood sugar was 150 to 180, now 70 to 120. Oh...and I've stopped snoring!

April 2, 2014 8:00 AM
Review by Sweet&Sassy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been taking Qsymia for almost a month now and have lost 11lbs in 22 days. I am on a low calorie diet. I have had several side effects like constipation, insomnia, numbness in face and legs. Any carbonated drink taste like its been sitting out open for a day just flat no fizz at all. I do feel irritable at times but most side effects I can manage except the constipation that just plain hurts. I have an appointment on March 28th and I'll see how it goes with my progress and labs. I was at 290 lbs starting weight and I am down to 279 lbs. Seeing my belly shrink motivates me more to exercise and continue to eat healthier. It is quite expensive but I look at it like this, I waste money on other things that don't do me any better and this will.

March 19, 2014 1:53 PM
Review by Boricua1966: User Rating:

I was in November 250 pounds and I beg my MD to prescribed me this medication he told me he does not do it, but he will make a pack with me that within a month I have to loose weight the amount he did not mentioned, so he did gave me the prescription for the first 14 days @ first honestly for the first couples of days it did not do anything, but then start it to kick in, when I went back to see him he did not want to weigh me so he fax the prescription to he pharmacy 7.5 mg 1 every morning in 3 months from 250lbs, I went down to 206lbs and from waist 40, I am 34 and XXL-shirts now. I am large everybody tells me how amazing I look and I feel and look great and more confident about myself now. My goal is not to become a Model nor muscular.

March 11, 2014 6:20 AM
Review by Jonny L (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I also have Type 2 diabetes. I've been on Qsymia for a little over 3 months now and my appetite has just been GONE. Period. I've had to take insulin for my type2 diabetes ever since coronary bypass surgery over 5 years ago. As my HbA1c crept up, the insulin dosage crept up, the excess fat crept up, the insulin resistance crept up, all in a vicious little circle. After one month on Qsymia I actually experienced a low blood sugar incident, which was scary but good. @ 3 months I'm down 12 pounds in weight and my HbA1c is down over one point. I've also been able to cut my insulin dosage to less than a third of what it used to be. Yet, my insurance won't cover Qsymia, even though my improving health is saving them more money in 1 month's worth of unused insulin than a whole year of Qsymia.

March 3, 2014 3:16 PM
Review by joe sa (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lost 21 pounds in 3 weeks; had no appetite most of the day. ate a regular meal at dinnertime

February 23, 2014 3:29 PM
Review by PattyAnn521: User Rating:

I have been on Qsymia for 5 weeks now and have lost a total of 17 lbs. I am 5'2" and on January 7, 2014 I weighed 196 lbs. Today is 2//16/14 and I am down to 179 lbs. The only side effects I experienced are dry mouth and tingling in my toes once in a while. I have not had time to exercise and I still eat fast food once in a while but I skip the fries and soda as I do not have a desire for them or sweets anymore.

February 16, 2014 5:12 PM
Review by Rasil: User Rating:

I have been on Qsymia for 2 weeks now, started at 305 and 295 as of last night. I haven't experienced any side effects to this date. I have use the app "Lose It" to keep up with my food intake and also brought the Lose it scale. I found drinking water in large amounts helps with the dry mouth. Looking to lose 91lbs, will update soon.

February 9, 2014 12:28 PM
Review by Corny (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Qsymia makes me think like a thin person. I no longer have any compulsion to find think about food. I have been obese for 98% of my adult life (I am 64) and tried everything. With Qsymia, I can make all the right decisions (and a few wrong ones) that I have known all along I needed to make. Now, just like a thin person, I am not driven to every fast food door, seconds or thirds of meals, eating a whole container or bag of anything. With minimal effort and smart decisions, I have gone from obese to within 5 pounds of normal weight for my height. No noteable side efffects - a little constipation when I don't eat much and a dry mouth. If I forget to take Qsymia for a day or two I know right away - my old eating habits come right back

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 10:23 PM
Review by valg52 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Started back in June, and at first it seemed as though I was having all of the side effects from constipation to acid reflux, you name it. So far I have gone from 212 to 182 lbs. This is the only diet medication that has worked for me. It has always been a problem losing after being diagnosed with a thyroid condition. I am grateful my physician decided to try me on Qsymia.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 10, 2013 9:31 PM
Review by Nicole1970 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I had seen a story about Qsymia on the news right before seeing my doctor for the results of my physical. I was at the highest weight I had ever been 233 lbs, 43 years old and a mostly inactive lifestyle. I did some research on side effects, printed out all the information I could find and took it with me to my appointment. My doctor was hesitant because she never heard of Qsymia, but agreed to a trial 6 month run that was in July. Today I had my fifth doctor's appointment, 40 pounds lost, current weight 193, she has approved me to be on Qsymia until the goal weight is reached since she has done research and found that it okay to be on it for the long term. No dieting! Barely exercising. Appetite is decreased - HUGE SUCCESS.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2013 1:07 PM
Review by LBH2: User Rating:

My wife and I both started Qsymia 11 months ago and have both lost 65lbs ea. We have had no side effects other than minor tingling. We both support each other and eat normal foods just less of them. I am a diabetic and was using insulin and pills, I no longer use insulin and may be able to get off the pills soon. Our Doctor sees us every 3 months to check on us. This medicine has been good for us. But you have to work at it, it's not magic.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2013 7:23 PM
Review by Travis1978:

Start my meds Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

October 20, 2013 3:59 PM
Review by Kansan: User Rating:

I started on Qsymia half a year ago, lost 28 lbs so far. Overall been very pleased with the weight drop. Not much side effect. I have tried so many other things, this one is actually the most effective method I have ever had. I did notice tingling at my fingers a couple of times but was not bothering much. Oh, one thing the Coke I drink tasted weird after taking the medication.

October 3, 2013 12:12 AM
Review by Kingofdenial: User Rating:

Qsymia works for me. It is true. It makes you thirsty and makes diet soft drinks taste like brake fluid. Totally kills my craving for sweets. The good news, I was closing in on the 300lbs mark...less than two months later, almost at 260 lbs. I am a weight watcher so I have an accurate record of my weight loss. Also, I go to my local YMCA and workout six days a week.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 29, 2013 8:42 AM
Review by Eli-36: User Rating:

I started on Qsymia August 26 2013, one month later I lost 24lbs doing regular diet and exercise. Qsymia did cut my hunger, helped me stay focus in my lost weight goal. Side effects in my case very minor, metal taste for the first two weeks, and maybe a little problem concentrating.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 24, 2013 12:32 PM
Review by DJAya: User Rating:

I took the starter dose once and the Doctor took too long to prescribe my reg dose so I had to re-do it again but the first time I took it, I didn't notice any changes besides numbness in my fingers and toes. The second time I took the starter dose it helped with my anxiety and I had regular bowel motion, which was great since my bowel motion is abnormal. My appetite decreased a bit as well, no weight loss though. Then I got on the regular dose and my anxiety has worsen, I don't have an appetite or cravings which causes me to miss meals and I get headaches. I have a cotton/dry mouth, metal taste in my mouth, insomnia, back pain, it's been a week and a half, I've lost 6lbs with regular exercise, not sure if I should wait it out or go on the starter dose again.

September 22, 2013 12:26 AM
Review by camie k:

I was totally excited about this medicine. I had about 50 pounds to lose. I took 6 days of the beginning lower dosage and began my journey into depression, anxiety and panic attacks. After consulting with my diabetic specialist we both determined the side effects were not worth it. I am happy for those who have had a positive experience but with the side effects I experienced it was not worth it for me.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 16, 2013 3:24 PM
Review by Imaknitster2 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have lost 34 pounds since June 10 (almost 14 weeks). On the 7.5 mg level I suffered many of the side effects. My doctor suggested I go back to the beginning dosage of 3.75 mg and I feel so much better. The mental fog, insomnia and chronic constipation and headache are gone. I am still losing 1-2 pounds a week. My appetite is under control and sweets hold little appeal. I still recognize an emotional longing to eat when I am stressed or in the evening when watching T.V.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 15, 2013 4:58 PM
Review by Kingofdenial: User Rating:

Another week. Lost 4.6 lbs. I am getting an accurate weigh in at weight watchers. I am wearing their active link and earning 38 to 40 activity points per week. I am still feeling great. Cannot drink diet soft drinks or handle very much salt. I have totally lost my craving for sweets.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 22, 2013 7:43 PM
Review by TN - 2: User Rating:

I've been taking this for about 2 months now. I've lost 14lbs on it and it seems as if I'm tapering off on weight loss so I may have to move up to the next dose. At first I had the nasty metal taste in my mouth, so much so that I carried a bottle of mouthwash around with me! Could hardly stand it. But now, I don't have it at all. The side effects did taper off altogether. I find the medication very helpful along with working out.

August 20, 2013 1:23 PM
Review by Kingofdenial: User Rating:

First week on Qsymia, lost 13 lbs. I feeling great. None of the side effects that I have read about, except I drink a lot more water. I am not craving sweets. I belong to weight watchers. So I have a accurate record of my weight and I wear their active link that tracks my exercise.

August 10, 2013 4:53 AM
Review by Jessica Marie: User Rating:

I began taking Qsymia in January of this year and have lost 82 pounds. The first 2 months were plagued by very intense side effects; almost every single one that the medication lists. I experienced irrational mood swings, irritability, anger, depression, tingling/numbness in my hands and feet, issues with vision (very mild), back pain (which improved with an increase of water intake), intense insomnia (which my endocrinologist ended up putting me on Ambien to aid with), cotton mouth/change of taste, and constipation (in the later months of taking it). The cost of Qsymia is a negative and so are the multiple side effects, but after leveling off after a month or so of experiencing them and following a low carb diet, it has been worth it!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 5:08 PM
Review by zanzabar66: User Rating:

Somewhat effective but side effects were overwhelming. Nervousness, insomnia, and mental fogginess.

August 7, 2013 1:29 AM
Review by southernkitty (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I've been taking Qsymia for 6 days now, and I feel the random tingling feeling and numbness, with that being said, I've lost about 4 pounds so far without changes to my lifestyle. Foods do taste different. Sodas taste like metal, rice and bread taste like cardboard, and anything other than a salad, lean grilled, broiled or steamed meats or fruits taste rather nasty. One thing is for sure, AVOID ANY DRINK WITH ASPARTAME IN IT, it will give you a monster headache and really make the tingling numb feeling really noticeable. I thought I was going to die...my head and my eyes hurt so bad. Dropped the sparkling flavored water, and diet sodas, and feeling awesome. Will update in a few weeks with progress!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 6, 2013 10:25 PM
Review by Pebbles1226: User Rating:

I've lost 19 pounds in less than a month and had some of the side effects tingling feet, dizziness, and headache. My Doctor ordered some labs I now take vitamin D & K. I no longer have high blood pressure. I'm happy.

August 4, 2013 5:26 PM